DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Pioneer XDJ-R1

DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:11 PM - 28 June, 2013
instagram.com

instagram.com

Yes I got it cuz I'm a Gearwhore!

Just wanted to try this wireless thing.
Im sure my son will play it, step on it, throw it.

I already hate Rekordbox. 1 file analyzing at a time? really?!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:43 AM - 29 June, 2013
Quick run through the effects
Watchwww.youtube.com

First impression.
Rekordbox = Need getting used to. Slow analyzing files. One file at a time?
Need more cue points :)
Must run files through Rekordbox to make it work with Xdj-r1?

Wifi connectivity= Neat, no issue. Used an ipad. Works as stated.
Effects are cool. Easy to use. Using an ipad definitely gives you more control.
Did not notice any lag with effects using ipad. But when using the mixer portion its better to use the hardware.

Weight
XDJ-R1 15lbs Feels a lot heavier and bulkier than the ddjsx
DDJ-SX 12.79lbs
VCI380 8lbs

Comparison with the DDJSX XDJR1 and VCI380
instagram.com

Hardware.
Feels good=Pioneer standard knobs and faders
Layout= Pretty good. Not cramped.
XLR output = This should be standard on all gear.
It needs more cue points :)
Pitch +6 +10 +16 wide

I did not try the CD player yet.

Issues found:
Back spin sometimes there's no sound or it dips low very weird.
there is a firmware update but there was no instruction on how to install it.

Durability test?
I have to wait for my son to come back from vacation so he can mix, walk over it, drop it and drool over it. lol

Stay tuned
haze324 2:26 AM - 29 June, 2013
Gearwhore!

Nice pics.
BriChi 2:37 AM - 1 July, 2013
I had a loaner for the weekend and just returned it, i liked it, but will not be buying

my opionion

cons
1. cant use the memory points from RB, only the hot cues
2. auto load of the hot cues are extremely slow
3. locked up once on me while loading cues, had to reboot deck
4. i hate small platters in general, to toy'ish
5. would have to have 2 drives prepared, one for my 2000s and 1 for the R1, the R1 needs it's own library on export
6. horrible for mic, only 1/4" in and no eq other then 1 knob for hi/low

the pros
1. awesome iPad integration and browsing
2. small and light
3. well built
4. cd drives

I have been using RB for years and love it DJ_X_Trodinaire, you will get used to it. The file analyzation obviously sucks being it's one at a time but I dropped my whole library in and let it run for a day and it was all set. If you have any RB questions, let me know.
BriChi 2:42 AM - 1 July, 2013
wow, i cant believe i forgot add the biggest con, for me anyway

7. 10K track limit on RB analyzed tracks
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:19 PM - 1 July, 2013
Had more time with it.

cons.
I do not like the fact that hot cue does not load instantly. You have to "CALL" them per track or else you will be playing the previous loaded song's cue points.
No Jog wheel visual cue for Beat juggling.

Pros
The Efx are good. Using the Ipad to control the Efx are awesome.
CD player
USB Hard Drive.
Wireless
I can mix in the bathroom using the ipad! LOL jk Seriously though, what if you really need to use the bathroom?? lol

For what it is, this is for beginner and intermediate djs, or as a backup where you do not need a laptop to make it work.
Basic all in one setup.
I will use this for wedding ceremony or events where background music is required.
Quick setup and tear down.

What I think Pioneer should have done:
Use the DDJSX and add CD players, USB and wifi.
BriChi 11:51 PM - 1 July, 2013
just so you know, you can have the hot cues auto load every time you load a track, in RB you can open the "HOT CUE" column and select the tracks you want to have auto load, if you want them ALL to auto load then select all tracks, go to the info tab and selct the auto load box
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:41 AM - 2 July, 2013
Hi BriChi,

Why is that an option? Last CDJ I played with were the 800s so I never got into the Rekordbox deal.
BriChi 12:55 AM - 2 July, 2013
they added that option when the CDJ2000 Nexus came out so now you can have the cues auto load or have the option to call them up yourself. Some people like having them not auto load because they jump between 3 samples fast on 3 different tracks using ABC, Me personally, i begged for the auto load with the 2000 MK1's and they finally added it to the 2000 Nexus and the R1 and I would assume all future hot cue capable hardware
BIGG BEAR 2:36 AM - 2 July, 2013
If you use non RB music,for example just some tunes on a memory stick can you still set hotcues and cue points on tracks and re call them later?
BriChi 12:04 PM - 2 July, 2013
Quote:
If you use non RB music,for example just some tunes on a memory stick can you still set hotcues and cue points on tracks and re call them later?

that's a good question, I have never used them like this but I can try later on today after work and report back for ya
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:06 PM - 2 July, 2013
I just tried that and it worked on the R1

But i did not see in the utilities to toggle the auto load hot cues.
BIGG BEAR 10:56 PM - 2 July, 2013
Quote:
I just tried that and it worked on the R1

But i did not see in the utilities to toggle the auto load hot cues.

ok thanks so you can set the hotcues but the next time you load the track they are not saved?
Is that what you mean?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:12 PM - 2 July, 2013
They are saved.

I meant that when you load the song again, you have to use the "call" button to retrieve the hot cues.

I wish the hot cues automatically load when you load the song.
BriChi 11:25 PM - 2 July, 2013
correct, they only auto load if you set them through RB
DJ RageSA 10:47 AM - 13 September, 2013
Hi All, will the Pioneer XDJ-R1 have Serato Support, and if so, when. I hate Virtual DJ, and am an old school DJ, started with Technics SL 1200s and then CDJ100 through to CDJ 2000. I am currently using Numark Mixdeck Quad with Serato DJ INTRO. I want to buy the XDJ-R1, but will only do so if it has (or will have) Serato DJ compatibility. Thanks from South Africa !!
BriChi 1:48 PM - 13 September, 2013
Buy the new DJ-SR instead, it was built for Serato DJ I believe
eman STATEMENT 12:39 PM - 6 October, 2013
i want to buy xdj r1 only if it work with Serato DJ.
Georgee1 3:24 AM - 4 December, 2013
sold my mixdeck, bought it, hating VDJ.. even though i sorta liked it, now im waiting for serato dj support -___- . anyone heard anything yetttt???
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:25 PM - 4 December, 2013
Im hoping too. It is the only controller that I have that is not using Serato.
Georgee1 12:10 AM - 5 December, 2013
succkss broo. Shit why wouldn't they it's a better version of the mixdeck lol
Dragot 2:32 PM - 25 February, 2014
Have someone a XDJ-r1 midi mapping for serato dj?
Georgee1 2:55 PM - 25 February, 2014
Is it supported now ?
Dragot 3:35 PM - 25 February, 2014
no but its in the end also a midi controller, and im looking for a midi preset for it
Georgee1 5:26 PM - 25 February, 2014
yeaa well if you figure it out let me know lol. I've been waiting
Evillincoln 1:26 AM - 30 May, 2015
I'm mad late but I'm messing around with this RB software & this Pioneer XDJ R1 thing & they seem to work independently...
What's the point of this software controller combo?
So you basically use the software to control the USB stick...?
I can't seem to figure out how to load a track into the actual Pioneer controller to be able to manipulate it like ANY Rane software or even Traktor.
I just don't understand the point.
Who wants to use a USB stick with a display with ONE LINE OF TEXT to go through literally 10's of thousands of songs??
Someone explain to me the draw of this program.
Davideon 7:04 AM - 30 May, 2015
It's designed to be used with rekord box primarily and so no computer
dj_soo 9:18 AM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:
I'm mad late but I'm messing around with this RB software & this Pioneer XDJ R1 thing & they seem to work independently...
I can't seem to figure out how to load a track into the actual Pioneer controller to be able to manipulate it like ANY Rane software or even Traktor.
Who wants to use a USB stick with a display with ONE LINE OF TEXT to go through literally 10's of thousands of songs??

Wait, you bought a $1000 piece of gear without understanding that it's a pure hardware controller that doesn't use a laptop?
dj_soo 9:19 AM - 30 May, 2015
The draw is that you don't have to use a laptop. Bring the controller and some usb sticks or a harddrive.

That's the whole point of the XDJ gear.
Davideon 1:42 PM - 30 May, 2015
Quote:

Seriously?

You use rekord box to prep the files and the save them to usb. The controller then controls the tracks off the usb.
Georgee1 11:03 PM - 30 May, 2015
Ive used the xdjr1 with virtual dj. If that helps in any way
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:40 AM - 31 May, 2015
Quote:
Ive used the xdjr1 with virtual dj. If that helps in any way

Maybe half assed because it's not even supported with them. So 1) you mapped it yourself and if you did you have no midi feedback (no lights, the screen doesn't work, etc) or 2) someone made it for you and still you have no midi feedback..........

How do I know you ask, everything is here, www.virtualdj.com