DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Amp Suggestions for DJ setup: ZX5-90 w/ LS808 bottoms

ianzchurchill 3:26 AM - 25 June, 2013
Hi, I'm new to being a member of this site but have been lurking for quite awhile. I've been in audio for close to 5 years now and I recently purchased a set of used Electro Voice ZX5-90's for $500 (yes I opened them up to make sure all the original parts were in there before buying, they were). I needed something a little lighter and smaller to carry since my old setup of 2 Yorkville 808's as bottoms powered by an QSC RMX 2450 (in stereo) and my Electro Voice Eliminator Dual 15"s being powered by a QSC RMX 1450 (bridged) was too heavy for my taste. It did the job well enough but I hated lugging around those fat dual 15's (preferred the Peavey PV215's for portability but disliked their quality) AND the LS808's.. The 808's themselves are enough weight for me.. I didn't like having 4 speakers of that size and weight.

Anyway, sorry about that long paragraph. I'm looking to appropriately power 2 Electro Voice ZX5-90's and 2 Yorkville LS808's.

My first choice was the QSC GX7 for the ZX5-90s and leave the Yorkville LS808's being powered by the QSC RMX 2450.

Then I saw the 4 ohms rating of the QSC GX7 at 4 ohms and that got me into thinking I could most likely get a higher end up for the price of both the RMX and GX, while powering them both. I have a crossover and prefer passive, since I can tweak it to normally sound better than the powered counterparts (in my opinion, after all sound is just a specialized taste) and have the volume control right next me instead of having to go up to the speaker to adjust it. So the crossover point is moot. A dsp might help a little but for my usage I'd rather not spend more money for something that "might" help.

Either way, I would like some solution from you professionals. I've heard great things from pdiddy about the ZX line and the Elite series, hence why I purchased them. Thank you for that btw. Any suggestions on how to go about powering these puppies? They require a good amount of watts, and more watts = more money. I'd like to have some head room of around 100 watts or more to each speaker but that isn't absolutely necessary as having a cheaper alternative with less watts would suit me just fine as I could properly get it up a little higher than the rating using a mixer, as long as the amp is of good quality (not below 500 watt rating per channel or per ZX5 tho).

Thank you for reading and I await to hear back from you guys. I'm open to any and all options, as long as it'll get the job done (for around 150-250 people at a wedding or dance).
Joee 11:41 AM - 25 June, 2013
man you got a good deal,i to use zxa5, you really should be looking at a better amp than the gx line, if you don't have the funds i will do

a rule of thumb is alway have double the power if the speaker is 500 watts you would need a 1000 watt amp, the gx7 is 725 watt @8ohms you'll be under powering them, that being said it will do but not ideal, your not using that extra power you just need it for head room

what kind of budget are you working with?
ianzchurchill 7:45 PM - 25 June, 2013
Yeah I was assuming I did. I've always used QSC and have never been disappointed but I'm open to anything at the moment.

I'll be using processed audio with a mixer. I know having more headroom will help but at 600 watts RMS I thought 100-200 extra watts would work for the crowd size I'll be dealing with.

No real budget limitations, I'd prefer to keep it under $1,000 but I'm not picky and I'm willing to bite a bullet seeing as I got the speakers for a good deal.
ianzchurchill 11:51 PM - 6 June, 2014
This comment will probably go unnoticed but I wanted to give a final update:

The users here glorified the ZXA5 and LS801 but I've used the ZX5-90 and LS808 and pushed them to their limits when I bought a RMX4050HD a month later to power the tops, while using a Driverack PA+, and it wasn't anywhere near the levels they were talking about. Even bridging the 2450 into the tops, it felt like it was going to break them with the attenuator at twelve o' clock. I realized my flaw with the GX series, but it was still enough to power the tops to their limits when pushed, and could easily power the ZX5's. After learning audio with Live Nation, I perfected it and bought the equipment to use the tops and subwoofers properly.

Looking further into the problems I looked up response graphs and axial sensitivties of all the models. Listed at 98db @1w/1m sensitivity of the ZX5 isn't impressive at all, however that was a generous mark as the sensitivity at other hz levels stands slightly above anything that isn't a Line Array or Danley model in tops anyway. The ZXA5 is slightly better but requires 1 more cord and the tools to increase the volume are farther away from you unlike having a rack. I have used both setups as a DJ, my friend owns the powered versions, and I use the ZX5 and LS808 combo instead because of easier access and less cord setups. My time setup was significantly decreased in comparison to his mobile setup that used the powered alternatives. Mainly because my setup is preset and has the programming for each room environment. As well having 1 less cord than him and having practically everything already plugged in except the NLs.

I find it funny that the users on here praise powered because it offers so much more. It offers nothing other than some internal play to offer 2db more output while costing anywhere from $500-$1000 more. You still need a DSP to make it sound appropiate as well.

It is also funny that most people here buy Mac laptops for their setups. Having a touch based tablet, more powerful than any Mac product, for backup was brilliant, I did that side of DJing properly. Making a desktop unit to fit in my rack and buying a tablet for under the price of the 15" GTX750 Macbook and getting 4-5 times more power + a back up unit? I believe I did it properly. I think you guys have a money wasting problem that you make up for by buying powerful speakers for cheaper, ie the ZX and Yorkie series. They are wonderful units for the price but don't shine at high volumes. Maybe having more of them would help, but being mobile it's annoying having more than 4 cabinets (for me anyway).

I regret doing that now, I should've waited and bought the Danley DBH218 I currently own now instead of it. Switching over to the QRX line for the tops proved favorable in keeping up the DBH, as both my ZX5's can't keep up but the QRX 212's can. The DBH218 runs circles around the Yorkies I have. I figure it'd take 8 of them to equal the decibel output of it w/o being able to go as low as it or sounding as good. It's a damn heavy cabinet but the casters and dolly make it easy and it fits through doors of my venues quite well. So did the Yorkies, I don't know why people said they had problems with that, I never had a problem with that, even for house parties.

I believe for mobile use, Danley subs with either QRX or Danley SH is the top of the line. A 6 EV ZX5 60 setup, yes 6 of them for 1 DBH218, would probably be more ideal than the QRX or SH setups but I haven't had the chance to hear that setup for myself. I now have the ZX5 and LS808 setup for small events and the QRX Danley blend for stage, gym, and 500+ events. For the 2 ZX5 and 2 LS808, I wouldn't bring that for anything over 400. Most mobile DJ's are in that range anyway, except for school dances (if you're good enough to land those gigs).

Although Serato is still my favorite way to go software wise and the NS7II is a beauty to mix on.

Anyhow, that's about it. Thanks for all the information you gave me while I was starting out. It's weird how 6 years ago I was mixing around now I'm working for Live Nation as back up audio personel and DJing proms, sadies, club events, and such. It's time to move on from this forum though. Most of the people here have much to learn in audio, as do I. So many geniuses out there.. So much knowledge about audio.

Thanks for everything, I appreciated the knowledge. Even if it did set me back in some areas I was still able to fix them accordingly and learned quite a bit at the same time. I get complimented on both systems regardless. I'm sure you guys do as well.

In the end it is about how the crowd likes it. No matter how bad your equipment is or how much money you wasted, if the crowd enjoys it, they enjoy it and if you get paid the right amount to compensate then everything is good.

Thanks again! I hope you all are doing well and promising in your specific areas :)
DJ GaFFle 5:55 AM - 7 June, 2014
^^^ WoW... that was a tough read. ^^^

So, is he blaming us for persuading him to purchase ZX5's? I don't think I've ever recommended a ZX5 to anyone... only the ZXA5's (powered). I'd expect them to sound better than a ZX5's because the amp mated with the powered units are purpose built with specific/discrete power going to the driver and the horn.

I think your issue is the passive ZX5 version is not at its best if you utilize the passive, built-in speaker's crossover. You're dependent on properly powering them (I don't consider QSC GX-series proper power... only budget power). Bi-amped full-range speakers tend to sound a lot better than driving them with a single amp in full-range mode.

I agree, Danley speakers are the truth. 1 DBH-218 is easily the equivalent to a pair of my TH-118's but not nearly as convenient to transport as I can load and move mine around solo. The best sounding full-range speakers I've ever heard were the Danley SH50's. Those QRX sound excellent as well and they're super efficient. It doesn't take much amp power to get them singing. Again... bi-amping them will make 'em sound even better.
Joee 1:12 PM - 7 June, 2014
Quote:
^^^ WoW... that was a tough read. ^^^

So, is he blaming us for persuading him to purchase ZX5's? I don't think I've ever recommended a ZX5 to anyone... only the ZXA5's (powered). I'd expect them to sound better than a ZX5's because the amp mated with the powered units are purpose built with specific/discrete power going to the driver and the horn.

this is true, a friend heard my zxa5 and was like WOW, so he went out a bought the zx5 & was never really happy with it he said it didn't hit as hard as the zxa5, he powered it with a qsc plx 3602
DJ GaFFle 2:16 PM - 7 June, 2014
Yeah... you have to bi-amp the ZX5's to get the best sound from them. This is the case with something like the JBL SRX715's too. Doing all that seems overkill to me because you're then running 2 amps and cables per speaker.
DJ DisGrace 8:44 PM - 7 June, 2014
Quote:
the tools to increase the volume are farther away from you unlike having a rack

You're doing it wrong if you need to turn up the speaker or amps mid-way through the show.

Quote:
Making a desktop unit to fit in my rack and buying a tablet for under the price of the 15" GTX750 Macbook and getting 4-5 times more power + a back up unit?

Or I could fit 2 laptops in a backpack? Not sure how a full sized desktop in a rack is more convenient for mobile use... The other misconception is that CPU power matters. OSX is the most stable for Serato, period. I can get an old 2009 refurb Macbook for $250, and I would feel more comfortable using that than a brand new desktop PC in a rack. Let's not even start on using a tablet to run Serato...

As far as passive vs powered, like Gaffle said, passive speakers need to be run in bi-amp mode if you want to do it properly. The advantage of powered is lightweight, bi-amped, self contained units, with factory dsp EQ and limiting. Not too many people could achieve this with a passive setup without many years of experience using top-end gear. The inconvenience of "two cords" is a good trade-off in my books.
ianzchurchill 9:51 PM - 7 June, 2014
Gaffle, yes they are. Both can be loaded by one person though. I do it once a month with the DBH solo. But I have a trailer with a solid ramp and the dolly they provided with it makes it a breeze. I still use the Yorkville LS808's for most of my gigs though, as the DBH is too much power for most small gigs. I wasn't meaning for it to blame you, I was more saying that they weren't the ultimate solution for mobile the mobile DJ. The SH50's are pretty golden too. How do the TH118's fair room wise and SPL output compared to the LS808's? I know the DBH destroys them but they aren't a tapped horn design like the TH118 series. I've seen the response graphs for both and their sensitivities. The DBH should equate to 3 TH118's. Even 2 TH118's dimension wise is more room than a DBH and weighing 40 pounds more (but that is 2 seperate pieces to carry, unlike one big box). I was referred to that box against the TH118 as it'd cost more to equal the output (even with the 2 it'd cost more).

The GX series is budget power but it'll power the ZX5's to their limit or might destroy the coils with the DC wave, but I don't use them now because I prefer more headroom. The QSC PLD 4.3 does well for the 2 ZX5's and the RMX2450 for the 2 LS808's. And I keep my 4050HD as a backup and to use the DBH/QRX setup when I have that.

Not doing it wrong, putting full signal to your speaker can be bad as when it gets to clipping it will push DC and hurt the speaker. Granted the type of setup you are referring to will suffice, a higher grade amp and easy access to the attenuator helps solve any issue rather than being limited to the powered setups. I almost never used them during the show but it has come in helpful a few times. Old me used to do that and gain to distortion before I worked with Live Nation's audio.

www.blue-room.org.uk
No. The boxes are terrible because you can't play with the internal limiting. I can push the box to 1.2x the power of the powered version but it'll end up breaking them, as will pushing it on the powered version. I have tried both the ZX5 and ZXA5. Anyone other than people on this thread will agree the passive combo is better, even without biamping. I won't get into specifics but the play on the highs sensitivity is the best part of the box. The QRX can take a bit more power in the DH7 though, 75 compared to 40. They are basically the same sensitivity all around, and the response graph is way smoother in the QRX with EQ while getting noticeably louder. I never said I hated the box, I said they weren't the top of the line like everyone else said. For the weight package argument it is still the king. The Yorkville U15's are slightly better but are 30 pounds more, same goes for a few other boxes. I still own them and use them every weekend.

Who said I was running Serato on the tablet? It's a backup touch version of traktor. First off, I'm not going to reply to that argument on Mac vs Windows or Linux. Mainly because you referred to it as a PC. Who's to say I'm running Windows on it? Can I not have OSX on it or is that beyond its ability? Mac did make desktops that are compatible with their OS, using the right parts a Hackintosh is easy to do by even the lowest in knowledge of computer geeks.

You suffer in sound by not bringing a rack or that "two laptops in a backpack". Mine is already setup and boots 2.5x faster (using a Raid drive setup) than it as well as being close to 4x faster than Macbooks.

Wrong, the data is ready available to make the cutoffs and process the sound better than the powered versions because you can set it to each room with a given program in your driverack. The ZXA5's lack that ability. More than that, I can change EQ and DSP depending on the music I'm playing. An audio engineer taught me how to do this and the sheets were available online.

It's not just the two cords. It's the full setup already done in my rack. It's a true plug and play. Power on, select room environment program, set attenuators, play!

K, this is def going to be my last comment. Thanks for replying guys :)
Like I said before. If the crowd likes it and you get paid to compensate for the equipment, everyone wins!

I'll read the replies as I'm curious to Gaffles opinion on the TH118, if she replies. But that's it. I hope someone will learn for my experience, but I don't think so, people are stubborn. It doesn't matter either way though, as you'll probably give a good experience to the crowd in anyway you choose.
LoLyfe 5:52 PM - 16 July, 2015
Hey just wondering what you would do.

I have as a permanent install for a bar I dj at:

1 Behringer iNuke6000DSP (yes i know.....sigh) powering the following:

1 yorkville LS808 (with an omega pro 18-a) on one channel of the amp
2 ev zx5's (all stock) daisy-chained on the other channel of the amp.

recently decided to pick up a dbx PA2 for processing but then one of my channels gave out so I was looking to replace and came up with the following setup.

dbx PA2 for all processing
QSC GX5 - to power the 2 EV ZX5's
DQS RMX2450 - to power 2 yorkville LS808 (1 will have the Omega Pro 18-a // the other will have a B&C 18TBX100 driver).

1 - do you think these amps pair off well? if not what would you change or add? would you bridge and daisy or run 1 to 1?
2 - how do you think the subs will sound with those 2 different drivers?
ianzchurchill 4:19 AM - 8 May, 2016
Interesting setup. The ZX5's run away with the show even when using just 2 Yorkville LS808's. If you corner load them, you might get away with it. They have 6ft paths so putting them together will also increase their db output by 6db. Do this and corner load them and you should get 140-145 db consistent. That is with the normal drivers though.

I would suggest not pairing different drivers with each other. They will have different responses and you want a flat response.

Your GX5 will do fine if you xover at 100, which is the most common. Although I'd suggest an xover at 80hz given that the ZX5's have a higher sensitivity from 80-100hz than the LS808's. Sadly, this is where my problems arose with the powered versions of the LS808 and ZX5. Their xovers and processing are limited and pretty subpar in my honest opinion. Technically, in some ways, Gaffle was correct about bi-amping and in some ways I was correct. However, Gaffle is still wrong about the ZXA5's. The ZX5's are, without a doubt, the better box. The ZXA5's are better off for the DJ's who aren't willing to process their speakers. Like I said, you would need, at the very least, a proper xover and dual 31 band pass to match the ZXA5's to the LS801's properly. They will cancel out frequencies otherwise and lead to LESS output than their passive processed counterparts. So, less wires for better/equal sound and higher decibel output is, of course, my choice.

See here for graph on ZX5: imageshack.com

However, for better musically sounding subs, at slightly higher db, I would choose a SRX828SP. I am not sure if the passive version uses the same parts but I assume it would and that would be the better option as well. I have finally done the response graphs for these speakers, adding up all the information of the powered speakers. I scribbled in the LS801P and LS2100P for comparison. For all purposes, the new SRX800 series kills the LS in that department, provided you can move them. The SRX828SP is, without a doubt, the better sub. This is on paper of course. Sonically the listener can have a different opinion on the matter but in my opinion the SRX828SP sounds better than my LS808's (even when properly processed but the LS808's are louder).

Here is the graph I put together: imageshack.com

All of these were done in 1/2 space. Obviously, putting them in the corner and adding multiples will increase the output. The more I study, the more I learn. The VRX918 is almost identical to performance in the PRX618XLF. They share the same woofer. The only thing is that the VRX has a better amp and more options on the back.

It's really weird seeing the graphs on the LS801's actually. They truly are one note subs but they will get louder. A pair of LS808's will kill an SRX828 in sheer volume by 4-6 db. Given that you can pick up 2 of them and an amp for equal or less... It's obvious that that LS is the way to go if output is your main goal. But that SRX828 is a killer sub for a killer price. I just recently bought one to pair with a new rig I am setting up.. and I have to say, it absolutely destroys. It's nowhere near the same class as the DBH218 but it'll be frightening close (or better) when you buy 4 (which is about the same price for one powered DBH218). I haven't done the tests but damn. All I can say is that that sub is a game changer, if below 50hz is what you desire, there is no better option. Well, surprisingly, the Alto Black 15 and 18's get really loud at lower hertz too, and it's less than the others and they are cheaper. I haven't run or seen their response graphs but I have heard them and they seriously continue to pump at lower hertz, but this is all by ear. Still though, for loud audio, the LS808/801P's are unbeatable for their price range, this is above 50hz though.

Ultimately the SRX828 will destroy anything down low in or around its price range. It will beat JTR Orbit Shifters, LS1208's, BassMaxx SSP118s, BassMaxx ZV18s, and even TH118's down low. And yes, I say that with complete honesty. At certain frequencies, yes, the SRX828 will be beaten in output but overall, for consistent response down to 30hz (and almost 25hz) it will destroy them. Especially considering you can get 2 of them for the price of 1 (or less than pairs of the others, which would be necessary to beat 1). A used VT4880 or other JBL Vertec subwoofer would also work and beat them as wel but they are significantly more new. The VRX is, overall, a waste of money compared to the others, unless you truly need the rigging and other features they bring. It took a long time researching all this but eventually it comes to the fact that JBL destroys on the lower hertz for the price you pay anyway.

I would like to apologize to Gaffle for calling him a girl but the avatar was misleading. I wouldn't mind being called a penguin but hey. Anyway, enjoy your pro audio! Remember, if you can do it for cheaper, do it for cheaper. The endeavor of pro audio never ends.

Do your research. Know the graphs. Know the sensitivities. Don't purchase until you know these facts. The SRX828SP is an amazing newer product and takes the reigns for below $2000 price to performance but the DBH218 still remains the king for price to performance if you can afford it. It is equivalent of 3 TH118's. I wish that SRX828SP sub came out before.. it beats everything for less money. It beats the ETX18SP too, I just don't have the graph.. but anyway.. there you have it.

Conclusion: To get the flattest/best sounding performance it'd be 2 ZXA5's over 2 JBL SRX828SP's with a xover at 80hz. Too bad you can't xover the ZXA5's at 80hz without external parts but whatever. Passive ZX5's over passive 828's would be your best sounding system for ALL frequency until you reach multiples with the other horns. But this is, without a doubt, the cheapest way to get the loudest and most flat response for under 10k budgets. And the easier setup with less wires is a fully programmed rack. And to answer the question before, it is easier to have the attenuators closer to you with passive because speakers WILL let you know when they have no more room. So as to not blow your speakers, it's easier to have access. Speakers need time to warm before you learn their limits and it can change each time they warm up depending on environmental factors. So there's that... That's why people blow speakers often.. and passive is the much easier way to limit it for idiots, give them less power and have back up amps. Much easier to lug around and then charge them for what they broke. With powered speakers it's much harder and you'll be permanently down a speaker for the night. I don't understand why people try to argue that but whatever. That's something I learned way before I got into professional audio rigs, response graphs, and so forth.

Hope this helps someone... I'm a little irritated that it took me this long.. but hey, everyone has to learn. I just hope more professional audio technicians join this forum and help as better and better speakers come out.
ianzchurchill 4:49 AM - 8 May, 2016
Oh and I forgot, I wasn't necessarily blaming you for my purchase. I wasn't trying to blame you at all really. That was my bad. I was saying that the QRX is a louder speaker with a higher sensitivity and it splays better when paired with powerful subs. Passive over powered any and everyday. It is just better and easier to get a more full sound. Ultimately, the ZX5's are extremely powerful and more than what any DJ would realistically need. They are in a completely different league than anything else on the market still. But once you get up to professional rigs, the QRX becomes more useful. Those small db differences begin to add up dramatically. That's all I was really trying to say.

Also: If anyone was wondering the LS808 was powered with an RMX 2450 bridged mono just before clipping at 8ohm. There was tweaking done to match the LS801P with slight boosts in the lower frequencies. The LS2100P was powered to its maximum along with the QSC KW181.

I know I'm loquacious but all of this is a necessity for anyone working a professional stage. Budgets are a limitation and this a best for loudest and flattest depending on the budget before you get into full Danley, Meyer, or other concert/line array levels. But most people don't need that concert/line array levels. So what I've presented is the next best solution for loudest and most 'musical'. I say flattest response others say musical.. To each their own.. Anyway...

Have fun! And if you're in Cali, let me know. I can put together a killer rig and do some killer shows!

Thanks for reading, if you did.
ianzchurchill 4:49 AM - 8 May, 2016
Oh and I forgot, I wasn't necessarily blaming you for my purchase. I wasn't trying to blame you at all really. That was my bad. I was saying that the QRX is a louder speaker with a higher sensitivity and it splays better when paired with powerful subs. Passive over powered any and everyday. It is just better and easier to get a more full sound. Ultimately, the ZX5's are extremely powerful and more than what any DJ would realistically need. They are in a completely different league than anything else on the market still. But once you get up to professional rigs, the QRX becomes more useful. Those small db differences begin to add up dramatically. That's all I was really trying to say.

Also: If anyone was wondering the LS808 was powered with an RMX 2450 bridged mono just before clipping at 8ohm. There was tweaking done to match the LS801P with slight boosts in the lower frequencies. The LS2100P was powered to its maximum along with the QSC KW181.

I know I'm loquacious but all of this is a necessity for anyone working a professional stage. Budgets are a limitation and this a best for loudest and flattest depending on the budget before you get into full Danley, Meyer, or other concert/line array levels. But most people don't need that concert/line array levels. So what I've presented is the next best solution for loudest and most 'musical'. I say flattest response others say musical.. To each their own.. Anyway...

Have fun! And if you're in Cali, let me know. I can put together a killer rig and do some killer shows!

Thanks for reading, if you did.
pdidy 2:02 AM - 10 May, 2016
ianzchurchill 7:18 PM - 10 May, 2016
Funny how it took Bassmaxx to finally do the discussion for people to open their eyes. Yeah I used his graph for most of the specs but I added my own. I can add the LS1208's too. They are only slightly higher than the LS808. I could have done those graphs he did, provided I had those speakers.

I called this years ago. The dates prove it. He only recently did the discussion for you because others were too incompetent/lazy. Yorkville doesn't like their graphs being shown anyway but they aren't the king for price to performance.

Kind of proves how underdeveloped some of the audio technicians on this forum were.

And it proves that this is not professional audio as most would declare it. But hey, keep getting people to buy the lower end pdidy. If you were so smart before, how come you didn't do the response graphs yourself?

Sad that I had the right answers years ago and the others didn't. Maybe they'll learn, maybe they won't. But I know for a fact that they'll immediately get kicked off the team once they work with a real audio engineer. So there's that pain coming eventually..... Same for you I guess. Took years for you to discover what I discovered as just a youngling in the industry.. it's all about the sound after all. The best musically sounding setup... flat across the board..

But whatever, chalk it up to an attempt to a petty argument. I only want to help people learn. You can say whatever you want but the numbers are there and the facts are real and you can't deny them. You were wrong, so was Gaffle. Even back then you were wrong.. deny it, ignore it, make it into some petty squabble like I'm a child but I understand volumes of information about audio and efficiency..

QRX > ZX.. for spl and flat response. SRX > LS for spl and flat response for $$.. Danley if you're rich... but only specific models. The TH118 isn't really worth it in comparison to the 828SP (especially given rider issues with the Danley).. not even the LS1208's (when price to performance comes into play, however they are significantly better choices to the TH118's for price)... So yeah.. Only the DBH218 and the LC version are really worthy upgrades for price to performance.. And that's what it's all about on the big stages anyway..

I guess this is why professional audio engineers generally keep quiet. They don't want people finding out that they wasted their money trying to get a certain SPL that they could have gotten for cheaper and/or less boxes. The SRX didn't even exist when I posted before.. but whatever. Smart people will make it to the top regardless of what the fish on the bottom believe.
pdidy 7:35 PM - 10 May, 2016
desmorider 2:03 AM - 11 May, 2016
Quote:
Gaffle, yes they are. Both can be loaded by one person though. I do it once a month with the DBH solo. But I have a trailer with a solid ramp and the dolly they provided with it makes it a breeze. I still use the Yorkville LS808's for most of my gigs though, as the DBH is too much power for most small gigs. I wasn't meaning for it to blame you, I was more saying that they weren't the ultimate solution for mobile the mobile DJ. The SH50's are pretty golden too. How do the TH118's fair room wise and SPL output compared to the LS808's? I know the DBH destroys them but they aren't a tapped horn design like the TH118 series. I've seen the response graphs for both and their sensitivities. The DBH should equate to 3 TH118's. Even 2 TH118's dimension wise is more room than a DBH and weighing 40 pounds more (but that is 2 seperate pieces to carry, unlike one big box). I was referred to that box against the TH118 as it'd cost more to equal the output (even with the 2 it'd cost more).

The GX series is budget power but it'll power the ZX5's to their limit or might destroy the coils with the DC wave, but I don't use them now because I prefer more headroom. The QSC PLD 4.3 does well for the 2 ZX5's and the RMX2450 for the 2 LS808's. And I keep my 4050HD as a backup and to use the DBH/QRX setup when I have that.

Not doing it wrong, putting full signal to your speaker can be bad as when it gets to clipping it will push DC and hurt the speaker. Granted the type of setup you are referring to will suffice, a higher grade amp and easy access to the attenuator helps solve any issue rather than being limited to the powered setups. I almost never used them during the show but it has come in helpful a few times. Old me used to do that and gain to distortion before I worked with Live Nation's audio.

www.blue-room.org.uk
No. The boxes are terrible because you can't play with the internal limiting. I can push the box to 1.2x the power of the powered version but it'll end up breaking them, as will pushing it on the powered version. I have tried both the ZX5 and ZXA5. Anyone other than people on this thread will agree the passive combo is better, even without biamping. I won't get into specifics but the play on the highs sensitivity is the best part of the box. The QRX can take a bit more power in the DH7 though, 75 compared to 40. They are basically the same sensitivity all around, and the response graph is way smoother in the QRX with EQ while getting noticeably louder. I never said I hated the box, I said they weren't the top of the line like everyone else said. For the weight package argument it is still the king. The Yorkville U15's are slightly better but are 30 pounds more, same goes for a few other boxes. I still own them and use them every weekend.

Who said I was running Serato on the tablet? It's a backup touch version of traktor. First off, I'm not going to reply to that argument on Mac vs Windows or Linux. Mainly because you referred to it as a PC. Who's to say I'm running Windows on it? Can I not have OSX on it or is that beyond its ability? Mac did make desktops that are compatible with their OS, using the right parts a Hackintosh is easy to do by even the lowest in knowledge of computer geeks.

You suffer in sound by not bringing a rack or that "two laptops in a backpack". Mine is already setup and boots 2.5x faster (using a Raid drive setup) than it as well as being close to 4x faster than Macbooks.

Wrong, the data is ready available to make the cutoffs and process the sound better than the powered versions because you can set it to each room with a given program in your driverack. The ZXA5's lack that ability. More than that, I can change EQ and DSP depending on the music I'm playing. An audio engineer taught me how to do this and the sheets were available online.

It's not just the two cords. It's the full setup already done in my rack. It's a true plug and play. Power on, select room environment program, set attenuators, play!

K, this is def going to be my last comment. Thanks for replying guys :)
Like I said before. If the crowd likes it and you get paid to compensate for the equipment, everyone wins!

I'll read the replies as I'm curious to Gaffles opinion on the TH118, if she replies. But that's it. I hope someone will learn for my experience, but I don't think so, people are stubborn. It doesn't matter either way though, as you'll probably give a good experience to the crowd in anyway you choose.

Damn, I thought this was going to be your last post............
ianzchurchill 10:39 PM - 11 May, 2016
Quote:
Damn, I thought this was going to be your last post............

Hmm, I wonder, was there someone that asked for advice? Would I be a jerk and deny them knowledge while they suffer under the ignorance of Pdidy and his chromies? He seems like, not just ignorant, but a 5 year old. He shouldn't be teaching anyone anything. Ever.
pdidy 12:02 AM - 12 May, 2016
ianzchurchill, You clearly seem to be displaying all the Tell-tale signs of an "inferiority complex".

"An inferiority complex is a lack of self-worth, a doubt and uncertainty, and feelings of not measuring up to standards. It is often subconscious, and is thought to drive afflicted individuals to overcompensate, resulting either in spectacular achievement or extreme asocial behavior. In modern literature, the preferred terminology is "lack of covert self-esteem". For many, it is developed through a combination of genetic personality characteristics and personal experiences."

Apparently Gaffle and I (for lack of better words) "fucked your head up" in some way and its manifesting its self years later. My guess is you've had this personality disorder for many years and I merely triggered it. I'd also wager that im not the first to acknowledge you have this issue, right ?

So here you are today so awkwardly ranting in desperation on your soap box 3 years later, attempting to prove your superiority but fail miserably because your attempt at superiority was severely overshadowed by obvious mental issues and even worse know one is listening. Yea, that's gonna leave a nasty scar.....

But if nothing else the human psyche is always quite interesting, so thanks for the entertainment.
DJ GaFFle 4:01 PM - 13 May, 2016
Quote:
The TH118 isn't really worth it in comparison to the 828SP

*chuckle*

Quote:
(especially given rider issues with the Danley)..

This is can be true. People are sometimes stuck on name recognition... performance be damned.

Quote:
not even the LS1208's (when price to performance comes into play, however they are significantly better choices to the TH118's for price)...

Maybe, if you like the heLLatious, yet monotonous and fatiguing sound of a one-note wonder playing your bass. I wouldn't take 3 LS1208's over a Danley TH-118. I like inherent and quality bass response and you don't get that from an LS anything. They're absolutely great for a mobile DJ wanting the most bang for the buck but not so much for sound quality. Danley makes GREAT sound quality plus they put out ridiculous SPL.

Quote:
So yeah.. Only the DBH218 a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ LC version are really worthy upgrades for price to performance..

The LC is a beast and has more of the "punch" sound exhibited by front-load or bass-reflex designs. I had Ivan play a pair of TH-118's for me in comparison to a single standard DBH218. For standard DBH's massive single-unit size, I wasn't floored and felt a pair of TH-118's better suited me.

To answer your old question about how the TH-118's fair room wise, I'm not sure what you mean. I've stated in the past that front-loaded subs I've used had students and dancefloor people nearly on top of them trying to get next to the bass. When I'd walk the room, the backs of the room seemed to have the bass choked out. Every time I've used the TH-118's in gyms or sizeable rooms, they danced at least 10ft away and on to the furthest reaches of the room. When I'd walk the rooms, the bass in the back seemed just as intense as towards the front (if not more) so I'm thinking the perceived throw of the TH-118's tapped-horn lends to this. I've also posted several pics on the web of fallen debris during gigs (eg: ceiling dust, ceiling tile support rods, recessed lighting and HVAC vents) from just a pair of TH-118's.
Joee 11:41 PM - 13 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

*chuckle*

i took the kids to sesame place last weekend to see a show they had th118's & sm80's

all i have to say is WOOOOOWWWW!

i'm hattin on you gaff……….lol
DJ GaFFle 3:47 AM - 14 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

*chuckle*

i took the kids to sesame place last weekend to see a show they had th118's & sm80's

I still haven't heard the SM80's. For their size, people rave on them.
Scully DJ Services 5:27 AM - 14 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

*chuckle*

SLM Entertainment has a pair now and they seem to like them. They power em with a single XLS1000. They use them with up to 8 dual 18" SoundBridge subs powered by a Powersoft K10 and they say their sound is too top heavy. Absolutely ridiculous. I'd love to hear a pair myself
ianzchurchill 3:36 AM - 31 May, 2016
Quote:
ianzchurchill, You clearly seem to be displaying all the Tell-tale signs of an "inferiority complex".

"An inferiority complex is a lack of self-worth, a doubt and uncertainty, and feelings of not measuring up to standards. It is often subconscious, and is thought to drive afflicted individuals to overcompensate, resulting either in spectacular achievement or extreme asocial behavior. In modern literature, the preferred terminology is "lack of covert self-esteem". For many, it is developed through a combination of genetic personality characteristics and personal experiences." /quote]

Yes because I have a self-worth issue from working at Irvine Meadows, previously Verizon Amphitheater, for over 6 years.

It's more likely I have an issue with people claiming one thing when they are wrong in the first place. You are wrong and if any artist, musician, or performer came to the Irvine center with a VRX rig, we would laugh at the money they wasted. However, the same can be said about people laughing at me for the money I wasted before hand but a purchase is still a purchase, hence why the LS series are still a better purchase than the VRX but not better than the SRX.

The DBH218 has more output at higher frequencies. It isn't rattling low like the TH118 so you won't feel the difference but it will be louder. 3-6db depending on frequency. The LC will just move more air and do what you want, shake debris out and so forth. However, if that is what you want the JTR Orbit Shifter LFU packs a punch all the way down to 22hz. In a pair they can compete with the TH221.

I haven't met with Ivan but there is a Danley dealer in LA that has shown all the models. They come at a price though.

And yes, the throw is different depending on the path it follows. Bass-reflex will be 0-3 feet. Rear-horn, like the LS808/801 and LS2100, will be 6-10 feet. Then tapped horn / horn-loaded bass pipe and subs with long paths inside will impact at 10 feet and beyond and, generally, require more power. The LS1208 is not a one note compared to the LS808 though. Its sensitivity is higher and more flat than the 808. Yorkville doesn't really publish the charts is all. 105@70hz,105@60,105@50,104@45, 101@40, and 98@35 at 1w1m for the LS1208. Which isn't really all that flat sounding. It won't beat out a TH118 but two of them will and seeing as you can get four for the price of a single TH118.. The choice is quite obvious.

It's just the SRX828 destroys the LS1208 for the price and performance, it just doesn't throw as far. I believe it is just a simple bass-reflex. But it is a monster regardless.

The SPL output and flat response of the SRX828 trumps anything anyone else puts out in that price range and it will adequately compete with a TH118 within 1-2 decibels IF you xover at 80hz. If you xover at 100hz the TH118 will output 3-5db more, which is noticeable. They both begin to decline around 55-60hz and then they both completely drop off at 30hz. However, the SRX828 weighs less and costs less. And it is roughly the equivalent of 2 VRX918sp's. The Vertec would be the only true step up but they are more expensive.

So for price to output & flat response (with feasibility accounted for): SRX828SP - Yorkville LS1208 - JBL PRX618XLF - Danley DBH218 - TH118

For best output/flat response down to 20hz (disregarding price / feasibility / things like Matterhorn): TH221 - McCauley 421 - JTR Orbit Shifter LFU - Gjallarhorn - DBH218LC

The LS808 doesn't really have its place when it comes to the most for your cash or the best performance unless you are still discovering audio or trying to squander those last few dollars by sacrificing higher output in other areas. The same goes for the QSC K series, Peavey's, other JBLs, Yamahas, etc. And the ZX5/ZXA5 offers less performance than the QRX. But for more weight and slightly higher price.

I've heard the SM80. It's not loud, it just throws hella far. It probably has a 4" inside. The math adds up for around there. Probably why they are craving more is because those SoundBridge subs don't throw. And you have to keep grouping more and more to get longer and longer throws. They could swap out all their subs for 4 TH118 / 2 DBH218s and be fine with the SM80's. I believe a club in Mexico has this rig, although I haven't heard it.
pdidy 5:27 AM - 31 May, 2016
Quote:
Yes because I have a self-worth issue from working at Irvine Meadows, previously Verizon Amphitheater, for over 6 years.

nobody cares or is impressed by where you claim to allegedly work. nobody cared the 3 or more times you mentioned it before and nobody cares now. your lack of self-worth causes the feelings of not measuring up to standards which is why you constantly try to impress we with alleged achievements but unfortunate for you nobody will ever care.

my best advise to you is learn to "stay in your lane" and people like me or Ivan Beaver wont have to call you out on your personality disorder, misinformation and lack of basic knowledge as seen here....forums.prosoundweb.com

clearly Ivan Beaver does no respect you as a peer and likely sees you as a complete idiot after having too correct you on so many points. Ivan Beaver literally took you too school and back and you want us to believe you're knowledgeable due to where you allege too work at ?
Seriously ? lol
SX57 9:38 AM - 31 May, 2016
hello everyone :)
i am new here.

[quoteThe TH118 isn't really worth it in comparison to the 828SP (especially given rider issues with the Danley)

what?! care to explain why?
Taipanic 2:36 PM - 31 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

*chuckle*

Gaffle, We'll have to set up a meeting sometime once I get my full JTR rig. I almost pulled the trigger on the SM80s but ended up getting the Noesis 3TX from JTR. Should have them in the next two weeks or so. I'm thinking the three way Noesis will sound better for the prerecorded house based music I like to play. Jeff's done demos with one Noesis 3TX and 8 Orbit Shifters, crazy! I still might end up with a Danley rig at some point though.
ianzchurchill 9:05 PM - 4 June, 2016
It's called learning. I'm only 21 and that was a few years back. I don't care if you're not impressed. It's something I feel accomplished about. I'm sorry you feel it as bragging but I'm still in training. I just got taught by you first without learning beforehand when I should have stayed learning under the engineering hands in the OC or been patient and learned for myself.

Also, none of those people in that thread knew about Powersoft amps, which can sustain 8000 watts on a 15A line. I later found out it is possible to get that much power but only from a passive system. So yeah, they didn't mention that.

Lack of basic knowledge? Yeah. That's why I called you out several years ago saying that the QRX is better than the ZXA5/ZX5. IT IS PROVEN BETTER AND PROVEN TO PUT OUT MORE SOUND. IF I would have known that before, I would have bought the QRX instead, since they are of better value. Also don't associate yourself with Ivan. You are in no position to say anything regarding him and you have proven yourself incompetent in basic knowledge several times over. He has said before that the DBH218 is comparable to 2 TH118's downlow. However, he never stated the higher frequencies which the DBH218 kills at and would be comparable to basically 3 TH118's. Given the length of time you have been in audio and the child level of knowledge you have, I'd say your insults are warranted in an attempt to derail someone you fear. Hence the comments about a personality disorder, I don't believe you are a psychologist, nor am I, but if you want play psychiatrist, you need to be shut down all the same. Or you can show me your license to psychologically evaluate people without meeting them. They probably have a special website to make yourself feel smart with a special license. Then again, you can't even spell 'does not' your constant usage of 'u'. I should have realized I was trying to fix the mistake of someone who is not learned in the language they speak. That alone should have been a testament to your intelligence.

The SRX828SP is better than the Danley cause you can buy 2 of them for the price of 1 passive TH118 and you can even save a couple hundred bucks from the powered version. Two of them put out more sound than the TH118 in ALL frequencies. You can also buy 4 LS808's and an amp for them for less than the price of 1 passive TH118. It's price to output. Given that the SRX828SP is only $200 more than the VRX and will demolish a single VRX and adequately compete with 2 VRX's.. Yeah, I'd say it's the best choice for powered subs in a flat response. Hands down.
ianzchurchill 9:12 PM - 4 June, 2016
Quote:
nobody cares or is impressed by where you claim to allegedly work. nobody cared the 3 or more times you mentioned it before and nobody cares now. your lack of self-worth causes the feelings of not measuring up to standards which is why you constantly try to impress we with alleged achievements but unfortunate for you nobody will ever care.

Just a tip, I can prove these "alleged" accomplishments. I will if you so desire.. But you don't want a conversation where you admit you were wrong. You just want to pound it in that you were always right to keep up some persona or degrade me. I can prove you wrong. Others have proved you wrong.

Give it up. You're leading people down the wrong roads simply because you think your opinion has merit. Nothing you say is ever based in fact. At least the specs, graphs, and outputs agree with me and what I have said. Now you can go on your merry way and think you're some tech God. You're just a bandwagon little kid who likes a little noise. You face that first, then I'll accept your condescending attitude to those who have facts.
SX57 12:43 AM - 5 June, 2016
Quote:

The SRX828SP is better than the Danley cause you can buy 2 of them for the price of 1 passive TH118 and you can even save a couple hundred bucks from the powered version. Two of them put out more sound than the TH118 in ALL frequencies. You can also buy 4 LS808's and an amp for them for less than the price of 1 passive TH118. It's price to output. Given that the SRX828SP is only $200 more than the VRX and will demolish a single VRX and adequately compete with 2 VRX's.. Yeah, I'd say it's the best choice for powered subs in a flat response. Hands down.

Thank for clarifying. I am a little confused regarding all frequencies output being better for JBL because danely specs reads that it has more upper frequency coverage.nonetheless I believe you are right as these are subwoofers and two jbls must have more output for less money.I like your logical point of view.many times more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:40 PM - 5 June, 2016
Quote:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
ianzchurchill 5:26 PM - 5 June, 2016
Quote:

Why not prove it wrong? 2 VRX's should be within 2-3db of the SRX828SP. Slightly louder yeah but for almost double the cash.

A single TH118 will be about 3-5db lower in output than a pair of SRX828SP. The SRX828 will be noticeably louder and moving more air. It's not nearly as sensitive but there are more cabs to be had. If you continue to scale it upwards, 4 SRX828SP will be around 7-10 db or nearly twice as loud as 2 TH118's. I'm not sure if Danley accounts for power compression loss but the difference might be higher than that if you increase the voltage, that graph with the 828 accounts for that.. In either case, it's not bad at all.

Quote:
Thank for clarifying. I am a little confused regarding all frequencies output being better for JBL because danely specs reads that it has more upper frequency coverage.

You are correct if you are not crossing over at 80hz. It will be around equal in performance to a pair of SRX828SP's above 80hz. And the TH118 is extremely sensitive above 120hz. It will beat out anything above that but, generally, you don't want to run a subwoofer above 100hz.
SX57 10:38 PM - 5 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Hey man.would you be kind enough to explain what is so laughable?

Quote:

You are correct if you are not crossing over at 80hz. It will be around equal in performance to a pair of SRX828SP's above 80hz. And the TH118 is extremely sensitive above 120hz. It will beat out anything above that but, generally, you don't want to run a subwoofer above 100hz.

Yeah most of the sub's are crossed at 150hz or less,then that upper frequency isn't as important as the lower octaves which a subwoofer is used for.
Joee 10:44 PM - 5 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

jbl vs danley

if you can get two srx double 18" for the price of one danley, i think the jbl may be the better choice, four 18" subs vs one 18" sub?

not saying it's better , but the amount of sub you get for the dollar it may be imposable to beat
Taipanic 6:58 PM - 6 June, 2016
Quote:

not saying it's better , but the amount of sub you get for the dollar it may be imposable to beat

It's really where your priorities are. You can get more sound from 4x the drivers with the JBLs but will need a box truck instead a of a minivan. Also the quality of the bass will be a little lower, which may be an issue depending on what type of music you are playing. Some would rather move 2 cabs by themselves rather than 8 that need two people to move. The SRX828SP is a very good sub and probably a great choice for a lot of the people on this forum but they are not at the same level as the Danleys. Now throw the JTR Orbit Shifters into that mix. As loud or louder as the Danley, a sound that appeals to dance music a little more than the Danleys, close to the price of the JBL double cab (JTR unpowered model), can fit two in a minivan which will cover 500+ with great bass. People's jaws drop when they hear the bass the Orbit Shifters put out, best cost/volume/quality sub out there, if you don't moving a big cab, IMO.
DJ GaFFle 12:25 AM - 23 June, 2016
Quote:

The SRX828SP is better than the Danley cause you can buy 2 of them for the price of 1 passive TH118

Perhaps more cost effective but definitely not better. And it would take two of them to equal the output of a single TH-118.

Quote:
Two of them put out more sound than the TH118 in ALL frequencies.

Show us proof.

Quote:

jbl vs danley

if you can get two srx double 18" for the price of one danley, i think the jbl may be the better choice, four 18" subs vs one 18" sub?

If you're talking strictly dollar$ spent... definitely but... you will be dealing with 300 lbs worth of JBL subs vs 160 lbs for a single Danley.

Quote:
what?! care to explain why?

Don't believe the hype. Me thinks JBL is playing shinnanigans with their listed peak SPL numbers. I just took a look at their specs and I don't recall the SRX828sp doing 141dB peak SPL... ever. I also recall the older SRX728 having an output and sound quality advantage across the board (when properly powered) compared to the newer SRX828sp YET the passive SRX728 is only 136dB max SPL. (explain that???)

Hmmm... my guess is that the 141dB from JBL is probably a "calculated" value. Now peak SPL doesn't tell a full story as far as output capabilities; a comparative frequency response graph would be needed. Danley has an excellent third-party response graph with their subs... I can't say the same for that one for the JBL uses for the SRX.

Quote:
Now throw the JTR Orbit Shifters into that mix. As loud or louder as the Danley, a sound that appeals to dance music a little more than the Danleys

I agree with part two and it varies with part one of your statement: c2.staticflickr.com
Those numbers pertain to the regular Orbit Shifter and TH-118.
DJ GaFFle 12:57 AM - 23 June, 2016
... Looking back over this thread, it seems like +ianzchurchill has some sort of vendetta against the TH-118. Maybe it's $ticker envy.
DJ GaFFle 1:18 AM - 23 June, 2016
Quote:

Gaffle, We'll have to set up a meeting sometime once I get my full JTR rig. I almost pulled the trigger on the SM80s but ended up getting the Noesis 3TX from JTR. Should have them in the next two weeks or so. I'm thinking the three way Noesis will sound better for the prerecorded house based music I like to play. Jeff's done demos with one Noesis 3TX and 8 Orbit Shifters, crazy! I still might end up with a Danley rig at some point though.

If you went in on the JTR... you're good, they have excellent value for what you get. I was thinking about those Noesis 3TX's too. I hear they sound great.

If I didn't live less than 60 miles from Danley, I probably would have gone the JTR route due to their pricing-to-performance.
Taipanic 2:32 PM - 23 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

If you went in on the JTR... you're good, they have excellent value for what you get. I was thinking about those Noesis 3TX's too. I hear they sound great.

If I didn't live less than 60 miles from Danley, I probably would have gone the JTR route due to their pricing-to-performance.

Here's some real test data on the OS Pro from Data-Bass:
www.data-bass.com

Yeah, I was really on the fence between the OS/TH-118 and Noesis 3TX and SM80. Ended up getting a good deal on a pair of OS & two XTI6002 amps. Only need one for the
pair of OS as they're built to 2 ohm so I already have an amp for the tops.
From the people I talked to that have heard both, they preferred the OS for dance/EDM type music. My listening so far goes along with that. Can't go wrong with either, really and I'm sure I will own some Danley gear in the future also.
I'm hoping to have the new tops here soon!
Joee 8:36 PM - 23 June, 2016
Quote:
... Looking back over this thread, it seems like +ianzchurchill has some sort of vendetta against the TH-118. Maybe it's $ticker envy.

lol
pdidy 9:02 PM - 23 June, 2016
Quote:

Naa he's just your common everyday Internet nut job with a weird obsession with proving you and I wrong while needing to appearing knoledgeable. Lol
LoLyfe 1:40 PM - 24 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

lol

Just wondering. I saw the specs (160 lbs) but cannot seem to find a price for these new. Never heard them in person but the way they have been praised im sure speaks well for them. I also saw a post where someone used an amp (not a company that I recognize but it only weighs 7 pounds).

From what I have been reading they are good for events of 250+ people. Is 1 sub good for that many people or do you need a pair? We are currently using a pair of RCF HD 32-A over a pair of RCF 8004-AS.

Does Danley offer an active series that sounds good?
Taipanic 2:33 PM - 24 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol

Just wondering. I saw the specs (160 lbs) but cannot seem to find a price for these new. Never heard them in person but the way they have been praised im sure speaks well for them. I also saw a post where someone used an amp (not a company that I recognize but it only weighs 7 pounds).

From what I have been reading they are good for events of 250+ people. Is 1 sub good for that many people or do you need a pair? We are currently using a pair of RCF HD 32-A over a pair of RCF 8004-AS.

Danley offers a powered and passive version of the TH-118. One Danley is probably equivalent to the two RCFs and sounds better. Don't know exact pricing but I would say between $2500-$5500. Next level, for sure, but worth it. You should try to get a demo of them and the SM80 tops if you can. Danley doesn't make anything that doesn't sound good, just whether it fits your needs or not. Same goes for the JTRs - next level quality, little lower price point. I'll be posting a review of my new system as soon as my Noesis 3TX tops arrive in 2-3 weeks.
I am setting up my Orbit Shifters this Sunday in a venue I've rented paired with my ZXa5s. I'm expecting to have to replace light fixtures & ceiling vents when I'm done. I've played one OS in my 1 car garage sized studio and it's sick. Every hair on your body vibrating anywhere in the room. Even at low volume with no lights showing on mixer or amp you can still feel the bass in the room (due to the efficiency of the drivers & design). You hear the notes of the bass, not just air movement and rumble. My LS800p will also rattle stuff but sounds nothing like the JTR - not as loud either.
LoLyfe 3:32 PM - 24 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol

Danley offers a powered and passive version of the TH-118. One Danley is probably equivalent to the two RCFs and sounds better. Don't know exact pricing but I would say between $2500-$5500. Next level, for sure, but worth it. You should try to get a demo of them and the SM80 tops if you can. Danley doesn't make anything that doesn't sound good, just whether it fits your needs or not. Same goes for the JTRs - next level quality, little lower price point. I'll be posting a review of my new system as soon as my Noesis 3TX tops arrive in 2-3 weeks.
I am setting up my Orbit Shifters this Sunday in a venue I've rented paired with my ZXa5s. I'm expecting to have to replace light fixtures & ceiling vents when I'm done. I've played one OS in my 1 car garage sized studio and it's sick. Every hair on your body vibrating anywhere in the room. Even at low volume with no lights showing on mixer or amp you can still feel the bass in the room (due to the efficiency of the drivers & design). You hear the notes of the bass, not just air movement and rumble. My LS800p will also rattle stuff but sounds nothing like the JTR - not as loud either.

lol at the vents and fixtures!

Im actually have a passive setup with ZX-5's over LS808's. Love them but I heard the drivers for the EV are now made somewhere else and the ND drivers are not as good as they used to be. How is the throw of the subs for the Danleys and the JTR's and are the JTR's active?
DJ GaFFle 10:07 PM - 24 June, 2016
Quote:
How is the throw of the subs for the Danleys and the JTR's and are the JTR's active?

I can speak for Danley and they throw far. There's a better term and explanation for speaker "throw" but yes, your crowds will not have to be right up on your setup to feel the bass. It won't die out in the backs of the room. I would think a lot of factors go into it as far as room shape and speaker placement.

I'd easily guess the OS throws the same as do your standard horn-type designs (eg: York LS8xx, CV36, etc).
Taipanic 1:38 PM - 28 June, 2016
I had the two Orbit Shifters set up in a 20x80 room this weekend. Early 1900's wooden church. When they were turned up the whole building was shaking and could still hear the bass 1/4 mile away. Had a soda can bouncing on a chair 15 feet from subs off to the side. Paired with a single ZXa5, it was very loud and sounded good. There was a lot of reverb in the room, adding some speakers at the far end minimized the echo.
DJ GaFFle 9:34 PM - 29 June, 2016
^^^ What do you transport your new setup with?
Taipanic 9:57 PM - 29 June, 2016
Quote:
^^^ What do you transport your new setup with?

The two OS just fit in the back of my Honda Odyssey (with the middle seats still in it, but pushed all the way forward. I have enough room to carry the tops, amp rack, table, etc...
Even though they are 180 lbs, they are easier to load/unload and move around than the Yorkville.

I'm still not sure how often I'll be moving the Orbit Shifters around. My main reason for getting them is to put them in a club I plan to open. I still have the LS800p and a pair of ZXa1 subs for smaller events. I'm sure I'll be doing a few shows with them though. Plan is to get at least two more ;-)
Arjun B 1:43 AM - 30 June, 2016
Quote:
The two OS just fit in the back of my Honda Odyssey with the middle seats still in it,
That Minivan is the Sh*t. Best thing made and you can't beat it without moving to a bigger cargo van or a truck
Satisfaction Sound 6:58 PM - 24 February, 2017
Which amp would be beat to push 6 ls808 hard and safely
Joee 7:05 PM - 24 February, 2017
Quote:

this will work for 4 www.qsc.com

this will work for the other two bridged www.qsc.com

there powerful relabel rock solid amps
Taipanic 10:00 PM - 24 February, 2017
Quote:

Safely being the key word here. I would look at the latest high end amps for the most power and best protection.

Crown Itech HD series
Danley DNA Series
Powersoft K series
QSC PLD Series

They all have multiple safety limiters and have been proven to drive subs well.
Rebelguy 11:04 PM - 24 February, 2017
Speaking of Danley....

youtu.be
Rebelguy 5:53 AM - 25 February, 2017
And just when we needed some more input on the TH-118 this thread pops up on prosoundweb. Of course what do those guys know.

forums.prosoundweb.com