Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

NI S4 & Z2 price drops vs. Serato gear - Its getting hard to stay loyal!

sinesthetix 9:00 PM - 20 June, 2013
Hey Serato peeps,

Its getting harder and harder for me to stay loyal to SSL. I love it to death, but the feature set in Traktor is simply greater than that of SSL, and I don't think many can dispute that. That being said, a lot of DJs don't use many of those features so switching isn't really of concern for them, and the less-cluttered layout of SSL is certainly nicer on the eyes.

I happen to be a nerd, and would actually use many of these features in Traktor. Now an all-in-one controller isn't my first go-to, at $599 for the Traktor S4, its getting really hard to turn down.

And as for the Z2, I was hands on with one yesterday, and they're pretty damn solid... also at $599, its silly silly cheap and the only think I'd be missing is the control vinyl, which is cheap anyway.

So please please please help us loyal users out. Your customer service on the forums is simply the best I have ever had for any product EVER in my life, SSL has helped me push my DJing further than I could without it, and there's something just natural and organic that SSL has but Traktor doesn't. Its more synthetic and less human somehow. I know that's really esoteric but what I'm saying is...

...PLEASE give us more than just an iterative update to SSL ASAP. PLEASE!

To be perfectly honest, if another 8-12 months goes by without a major update, I won't be able to stay loyal to Serato any longer. Which would suck because I do really want to keep on with you guys :(

Thanks,

+1 if you mirror these comments please.
musiclee 9:28 PM - 20 June, 2013
i kind of feel like you but more in terms of lack of Serato Hardware update,

in particular a good 19" Mobile DJ mixer, something like the MP-25, MP26
that can actually run SSL without the greedy and cumbersome need of buying an SL2. 3. 4.

the damn Rane MP25's audio isn't even recognized by SSL, let alone open SSL.
It's like Rane/Serato want you to jump ship to Traktor

i am stuck on 2.3.3 with my "old" Rane MP4

if i don't see a hardware update in terms of a 19" mixer, i too may have to jump ship
sinesthetix 12:01 AM - 21 June, 2013
Yet another example.

I'm not trying to shit on Serato or anything but it would be nice to see some official acknowledgement from Serato regarding upcoming features. Like ANYTHING.

Please!
Muzik Hunter 3:46 PM - 21 June, 2013
+100000
DJMark 2:06 AM - 23 June, 2013
Quote:
SSL has helped me push my DJing further than I could without it, and there's something just natural and organic that SSL has but Traktor doesn't. Its more synthetic and less human somehow.

Maybe that's got something to do with it not being jam-packed with "features" on top of "features".
sinesthetix 8:43 PM - 23 June, 2013
Yup I would agree with that DJ Mark, but if additional features were added as features you can toggle on/off like some are now, that would give the user the ability to make things as clean or cluttered as they like, which in turn would give SSL a leg up on Traktor.

Who wouldn't want that? Seriously!
DJMark 11:06 PM - 23 June, 2013
The problem with "features", selectable or not:

They come at a cost of testing and support.

NI can afford to dump in all the features they can, because they offer very little in the way of real support.
Nathan Looney 1:12 PM - 24 June, 2013
If Traktor introduces video it's all over but the crying for Serato!
ilandjproducer 8:42 PM - 24 June, 2013
Quote:

+10000000000000000
Davinci SQuared 3:13 AM - 27 June, 2013
Quote:

+100000000000000000

I have been loyal for years ....
I am tired of them putting scratch live on the back burner for Serato dj....I don't even think they watch the forums anymore....

we are a dieing breed of loyal people....

but I wont be left in the dust because they are lazy with the updates
A_Jack 6:09 AM - 27 June, 2013
+1

Too much focus on controllers, SSL is falling behind.
Daniel Ventura 11:51 AM - 27 June, 2013
ssl has fallen behind years ago :-)
new traktor update with some timecode improvements 2.6.2 is just out.
Davinci SQuared 1:09 PM - 27 June, 2013
I have emailed serato begging for an upgrade I hope everyone else does the same. Maybe if we all start emails and help request we will get through to some one.
Daniel Ventura 1:30 PM - 27 June, 2013
instead of hoping - just change ;-) it'll take years for serato to catch up. serato is a sinking ship.
musiclee 9:26 PM - 27 June, 2013
maybe Serato is busy working on an iPad app and has no time for SSL lol
DjTom-i 7:43 PM - 28 June, 2013
also changed to the market leader.

it makes me sad if i see how loyal customers are treated.

but... there is a solution. just do it. i did and do not regret.
ilandjproducer 4:11 AM - 29 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

+100000000000000000

I have been loyal for years ....
I am tired of them putting scratch live on the back burner for Serato dj....I don't even think they watch the forums anymore....

we are a dieing breed of loyal people....

but I wont be left in the dust because they are lazy with the updates

+ 1billions
DJ Irv 8:09 PM - 15 July, 2013
I have a a RANE 57SL and a NI Z2.

Software wise Serato is cleaner, sleeker, more intuitive, easier to use, has better tech support. Traktor is too jammed with features for me and it exhibits some odd behavior from time to time but, I can't quite explain it in detail yet since I haven't used it much. I use traktor at home only and am trying to get comfortable enough to play out with it but, who knows if that will ever happen.

Hardware wise the Z2 is great. I have a few minor grips like push button cueing, no send return for external FX, and that fucking sync button but, it's a great mixer. I just wished the Z2 supported Serato because Traktor 2.6.2's interface has too many buttons.

At 600bucks the Z2 makes a great backup to your Serato. You can Map the controls over to Serato and use your SL box with it.

RANE your price points are too high for the 14, 15 year old bedroom dj's. You know the dj's we probably all were once upon a time. Start offering a Mixer with Serato at lower price point or risk giving up a large portion of your user base to NI/Traktor.
DJMark 9:15 PM - 15 July, 2013
Quote:
RANE your price points are too high for the 14, 15 year old bedroom dj's.

Rane makes "professional" products in the United States, and pays people to give real actual technical support. You can even call them on the phone and speak to a real live human being (someone at the Rane factory with real information, not some person in an overseas call-center following scripts) if you're in a jam. Try that with most any other "DJ-oriented" company.

A teenage bedroom DJ in 2013 has a lot of inexpensive options for using Scratch Live. SL-1 boxes are dirt-cheap on the second-hand market, yet still supported by current Scratch Live versions.
DJ Irv 10:02 PM - 15 July, 2013
Without getting to a back and forth or offending anyone. I think a lot more of new kids will grow up on NI/Traktor. I've delt with Traktor support. It's not terrible (anymore). It's just not as good as RANE Serato. Also, I would consider the Z2 a professional product it just at a lower price point.

SL-1 second hand about $230 on ebay or a Traktor Audio card $300 brand new. The Traktor card is still the better deal since it has warranty so only history will see how it plays out.

For the record. I am a Serato/RANE person. Still got my TTM54 in working condition from 1999. Speaks loads for RANE. The purpose of this thread they way I see it. Competition is good for everyone. Let the companies push each other to higher limits. DJ's will benefit from it.
sinesthetix 11:22 PM - 15 July, 2013
Good points. A Z2 mapped to SSL might be pretty awesome.

Slicer and improved FX will make me a happy chappy though. What if you could write them using ableton instruments mapped to a macro in the effect/instrument, saved, and exported to SSL?

I do agree though that Traktor is too cluttered and that Rane hardware is the dogs bollocks.
deejdave 3:01 AM - 30 July, 2013
Quote:
RANE your price points are too high for the 14, 15 year old bedroom dj's. You know the dj's we probably all were once upon a time. Start offering a Mixer with Serato at lower price point or risk giving up a large portion of your user base to NI/Traktor.

Following this advice is the quickest way to invite a horde of inexperienced (and typically rude) individuals the ability to obtain an entry level piece of hardware. The problem is they would not be happy with the limitations and expect EVERY feature that the standard equipment has. The forums would be ablaze with these 14 year olds calling Serato garbage and threatening to switch to Traktor every day until their hardware has EVERY feature they desire. This happens on a regular basis as it is. We even have people purchasing NON serato Rane mixers and even they expect all the features of a standard Serato mixer let alone an entry level Serato mixer. I say let these "bedroom DJ's" learn on alternate gear and if/when they are ready to move up they should graduate to Serato.

TBH I actually always saw the fact the "bedroom DJ's" or hobbyists start out with the cheaper hardware & software as a good thing. I'm sure Serato doesn't see it that way (hence Serato DJ, & DJ Intro) but I sure do. It keeps things level.
DJMark 10:37 AM - 2 August, 2013
Quote:
The forums would be ablaze with these 14 year olds

Wait, you mean some of the idiots on here are actually older than that???
DJ Irv 8:21 PM - 20 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
The forums would be ablaze with these 14 year olds

Wait, you mean some of the idiots on here are actually older than that???

Some of the idiots on here are in fact older than that.
deejdave 8:31 PM - 20 August, 2013
Idiots exist at every age level........................ but we knew this already.
No Handle 2:32 PM - 21 August, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Following this advice is the quickest way to invite a horde of inexperienced (and typically rude) individuals the ability to obtain an entry level piece of hardware. The problem is they would not be happy with the limitations and expect EVERY feature that the standard equipment has. The forums would be ablaze with these 14 year olds calling Serato garbage and threatening to switch to Traktor every day until their hardware has EVERY feature they desire. This happens on a regular basis as it is. We even have people purchasing NON serato Rane mixers and even they expect all the features of a standard Serato mixer let alone an entry level Serato mixer. I say let these "bedroom DJ's" learn on alternate gear and if/when they are ready to move up they should graduate to Serato.

TBH I actually always saw the fact the "bedroom DJ's" or hobbyists start out with the cheaper hardware & software as a good thing. I'm sure Serato doesn't see it that way (hence Serato DJ, & DJ Intro) but I sure do. It keeps things level.

I get what you're saying here, and it reinforces the argument that Serato needs to spend more time and development catering to their core professional demographic, rather than the hobbyist DJ Intro types. While it's true that they might complain on forums (like I do), the irony is that THEY are the ones that currently have Serato's full attention (and all of its advanced feature sets). Examples off the top of my head: sync, beat slicer, high-quality iZotope effects, MIDI sync, etc. Because this is the case, we pro DJs have every right to complain.

What I'm saying is that we need to ignore the hobbyists, and focus on reacquiring Serato's full attention. I'm also saying that SSL has pretty much stalled, and I don't expect any further innovation - it feels like a sinking ship.
Youngtee 6:08 PM - 21 August, 2013
Ok although tracktor has a few more bells and whistles I still feel that SSL feels more organic. And those that feel that they want to jump ship can't call yourselves loyal or maybe I'm delusional? but Serato in my eyes changed the way Djing is received by the masses for that alone I am staying Loyal.

If your like me your just glad you don't have to lugg around 50 record creates gear and speakers.

all the effects and updates are just a bonus to me

but if your a angry customer DJ waiting on updates hmmmmm then I guess looking at tractor from that point of view would seem enticing?

Do you SERATO I with you to the bitter end (NZ)
sinesthetix 11:56 PM - 21 August, 2013
I get the feeling that what I'm after is coming shortly. Looking at the recent updates to Serato DJ, it seems as if the transition from SSL and SDJ to a unified platform is coming sooner rather than later.

I understand that Serato is a much smaller company and may develop a little slower, but as long as the updates keep coming, I'll be happy. I like bells and whistles because I actually use them, and I'm starting to feel better about those bells and whistles coming to SSL.

I think its very intentional that the new FX in SDJ aren't in SSL because I can't imagine it would be that difficult to implement. Normally this would mean that said software would get these upgrades as well, but if you were nearing completion on the development of an integrated platform, it would be a waste of time. So hopefully that's right and we get all the fun soon and keep what people like about SSL.
Sporadik Styles 4:46 PM - 30 August, 2013
Besides Traktor looking like a space shuttle control panel. (I'm use to just vinyl, 1200s, 2 channel mixer with no flashing buttons all over the place, and don't need toys etc.). I love the bare bones layout of Serato. That being said the Blue and Orange Vu meter breaks NI stuff for me. I could never use their mixers. I don't think Serato has anything to worry about regarding loyalty.
Youngtee 11:56 PM - 4 September, 2013
Quote:
Besides Traktor looking like a space shuttle control panel. (I'm use to just vinyl, 1200s, 2 channel mixer with no flashing buttons all over the place, and don't need toys etc.). I love the bare bones layout of Serato. That being said the Blue and Orange Vu meter breaks NI stuff for me. I could never use their mixers. I don't think Serato has anything to worry about regarding loyalty.

I agree
sinesthetix 6:47 AM - 5 September, 2013
DJ Irv 6:36 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
ahem.

Watchwww.youtube.com

I saw that coming. ScratchLive development had stalled for a while now.
Youngtee 9:00 PM - 8 September, 2013
Nice I with Serato till the end