DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Traktor Multi-Core Cables

Marty Mcfly 6:49 AM - 28 October, 2008
I'm usually a little apprehensive when plugging/unplugging the sl1 to the mixer at the club (especially at change over when the next dj is about to play) so if im going to use serato i usually come in 15min before it starts to set up, and leave it plugged to external power and come back at the end of the night to grab the box.

i've since found out about the multi core cables, which i was about to buy. i mentioned it to the place i play at and they're kindly buying it for the club.

is anyone using these with serato? what are your thoughts and is there anything to look out for? how does the thru sound? would really appreciate if anyone could share their experiences with these cables.

the place i play at usually brings out alot of international/national djs who use serato or ableton etc, and thought this would definitely make things alot easier for them when setting up. plug the line rca to a line out of your soundcard and your instantly plugged into a channel on the mixer, regardless of what dj program/gear you're inclined to use.
monkeybiz 8:32 AM - 28 October, 2008
I've been using my SL1 with the same set of RCA's for nearly three years, once or twice a week for gigs and also at home, and I've had no signs of wear or crackling.

I'm also curious to hear about the Multi-Core cables, but I've been using a much cheaper solution that probably takes no longer to set up. What I've done is cut a segment of one of those black plastic snakey tubes to reduce cable clutter, then I printed up a set of little labels from one of those little battery-operated handheld units from office supply stores (so each end of the cables reads: LINE 1, LINE 2, THRU 1, or THRU 2), then I scotch taped over-top to keep the labels from peeling. (LINE 1, LINE2, THRU 1, THRU 2).

If you're showing up 15 mins early, that's probably a good idea anyway.
onno 8:53 AM - 28 October, 2008
I use them for my B2B gigs with someone who uses cd's (i use serato with cd's).

Works a charm, and you dont have to worry about powersupplies etc..
Marty Mcfly 12:31 PM - 28 October, 2008
nice tip monkeybiz, i've been meaning to make some labels for the leads.

onno, from what i understand the connections that plug into the mixer are labelled. what about the side that plugs to the box? if not, how do u know which plug goes where?

do you need to plug in one pair to the input of the sl1 and the other pair to the output, so the lead is split across each side of the sl1 box? is there enough slack to reach opposite sides?
DJ Young Herrera 3:08 PM - 28 October, 2008
You can also buy colored electrical tape from the dollar store. It helps with labelling cables or identifying which cables you showed up to the club with. Which used to be a constant problem for me.
onno 3:57 PM - 28 October, 2008
Hey Marty,

All connectors are labeled, also the ones going into the the SL1 or Audio 8.
For the audio8 its also colorcoded, (something like yellow and red for the inputs and red/black for the outputs or something). THis makes it a bit harder when using the SL1, but there is always one "correct" color on each pair connectors (For instance the red goes in red and the yellow in white on the SL1).

And yes, there is enough cable to easily use it with the Sl1. there was a threat somewhere on the board with pics, but can't find it at the moment....

hope this helps
monkeybiz 6:02 PM - 28 October, 2008
Quote:
what about the side that plugs to the box? if not, how do u know which plug goes where?

I print each label twice and tag both ends of the cable.
Marty Mcfly 12:12 AM - 29 October, 2008
awesome thanks to everyone for their input.
onno you have put my mind at ease, i was getting a little worried that i made the wrong choice and did not want the club to waste their money on something that could not be used... but it sounds like its all good.

now to look for a handheld labelmaster =)