Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Noticing the unpleasant things with VJ-Pro/SmashVision

DJ Terry Tone 8:39 PM - 6 June, 2013
Let me start by saying that this is no way a bash thread... but for adults.

Im currently a member of VJ-Pro, Xtendamix, DTVideos & MonsterVidz.
Id love to check out the new AV District site as well...

But let me get to my thoughts...

For a number of years, i've been a member of Smash Vidz all the way up until they switched to VJ-Pro. Granted its not my business to know or care why they made the move... whatever.

I've been on the forums randomly here an there throughout and there is a few things that I dont understand....

1. Why that most of the people that speak so highly of VJ-Pro/SmashVision are employed by them? (wether it is payed or free videos)
Over time i've felt like Smash Vidz was the only option and it probably was... but I realized even more it was due to people talking about them all of the time as if it was the Dalai Lama. I get it... its a marketing ploy but guys COME ON, chill out....

2. Since the Merge with VJ-Pro... I've noticed increased ways they are trying to get you to use up your credits and buy more.
- Not including the "single" with a lot of the "xtended" videos in the same braket. Which causes you to use more credits.
- Offering HD Videos that arent grouped into the regular... Yes it might seem cool... but they aren't needed for the majority... If your are going strictly off of feedback, then maybe you should just switch them all and only offer HD videos.

3. Randomly implementing a 19.99 monthly membership fee
Not sure why and where that came from... but was that even needed when we have to already pay to purchase videos?

4. Some of the videos on VJ-Pro arent from the label and could possibly be from Youtube. Off the top of my head "Big & Rich - Save a horse, Ride a cowboy" was released today... It has to be one of the worst quality videos I've seen on the site. But there have been a lot similar to that quality. To my surprise after checking the version on youtube... it looks the same. This NEEDED to be said because a lot of people have assumed their videos all come from the labels.
- Oddly enough I have a friend who has a very CRISP high quality of that Video from the label.

IN CLOSING, I'd like to reiterate that this is not about bashing... but more so about stating the facts. I've notice a lot of people on here are quick to idolize VJ-Pro... its ok to have faults, not every company is perfect. But it would be nice to see some of the dick riders fall back when new Video DJ's are looking for a good source (If your not a dick rider then this statement doesn't pertain to you)

I've also noticed that amongst a lot these Video pools its become more about money than the actual act of getting more people involved in the art of Video DJing. Just know that as you do so it is killing them off as well...

I welcome comments that look to embrace what I've said in viewed as constructive criticism for people that care to know.
I'm not acknowledging comments from people looking to go back and forth. Im too old to be arguing on an internet forum.

I hope some of you that have wanted to say this but have been in fear of being ridiculed find this thread refreshing.

Thanks,
Terry Tone
Code:E 9:31 PM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:

Not for much longer. I know Xtendamix is not allowed for american users and they monitor this forum.
DJMark 9:36 PM - 6 June, 2013
The membership fee (whether you pay monthly or yearly) started in March 2012 when SV got merged into VJ-Pro/Screenplay.

It didn't come out of nowhere, it was communicated and discussed openly here and elsewhere at the time.

Compared to any of the other video pools (legal or "questionable-at-best") SV has been at the top end of the quality scale for a few years. Yes, they make an occasional screw-up. I've run across a few botched videos and recently across a couple xtendz with completely off-beat edits into the outro. They have always quickly responded to emails about that sort of thing, and their frequency of such screw-ups is really low.

I really don't know what you're talking about with "Not including the "single" with a lot of the "xtended" videos in the same braket. Which causes you to use more credits". Yes, sometimes they're not in the same bracket (different snipz edits using different rappers, for example) but I've watched the credits on the screen when downloading those and it still looks like one credit for ALL the edits. If you're seeing different you should maybe email them directly for a resolution.

BTW no I don't work for them or get any special "considerations".
ClubBusta 9:54 PM - 6 June, 2013
this jackass sounds like a pissed off owner of a bootleg site vjpro is the top of the heap boy and i cant wait to hear about the lawsuit you be answering to about claiming they rip from youtube. you a fool son
DJRemixEnt 11:34 PM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
its a marketing ploy but guys COME ON, chill out....

it's really not... when you factor in video quality, customer service, the amount of content/genres they offer... they are a really good service.

im willing to bet that you prolly havnt brought your concerns directly to them. Between Doug, MisterE, and Marx... they are very quick to respond and resolve any problems that you have. Shoot them an email with your issues and they'll get you squared away.
Rebelguy 11:39 PM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
Id love to check out the new AV District site as well...

So you are a member of 2 legal sites, 2 illegal sites and looking info a third illegal site. Well, since you commented on your status and are from the USA you just lost your Xtendamix membership as they only allow Canadian members.

To address your other comments.

Quote:
I've been on the forums randomly here an there throughout and there is a few things that I dont understand....

1. Why that most of the people that speak so highly of VJ-Pro/SmashVision are employed by them? (wether it is payed or free videos)
Over time i've felt like Smash Vidz was the only option and it probably was... but I realized even more it was due to people talking about them all of the time as if it was the Dalai Lama. I get it... its a marketing ploy but guys COME ON, chill out....

This can be answered by your initial statement about you only being on the forums randomly. If you took some time to look at comments about Smash/VJ-Pro you will see that they are praised by pretty much every serious VJ on this board. If you can't notice the difference of quality in their product then you must be mixing on low quality video systems.

Quote:
2. Since the Merge with VJ-Pro... I've noticed increased ways they are trying to get you to use up your credits and buy more.
- Not including the "single" with a lot of the "xtended" videos in the same braket. Which causes you to use more credits.
- Offering HD Videos that arent grouped into the regular... Yes it might seem cool... but they aren't needed for the majority... If your are going strictly off of feedback, then maybe you should just switch them all and only offer HD videos.

Are you sure you are even a member of VJ-Pro? I think that they are MORE THAN FAIR in regards to their download system. They offer sometimes up to 12 different edits/version of song in a single listing that can be downloaded for a single credit. What other service does this? The HD thing is new. If you don't care for it...don't use it. They also offer the SD versions of videos..

Quote:
4. Some of the videos on VJ-Pro arent from the label and could possibly be from Youtube. Off the top of my head "Big & Rich - Save a horse, Ride a cowboy" was released today... It has to be one of the worst quality videos I've seen on the site. But there have been a lot similar to that quality. To my surprise after checking the version on youtube... it looks the same. This NEEDED to be said because a lot of people have assumed their videos all come from the labels.
- Oddly enough I have a friend who has a very CRISP high quality of that Video from the label.

Sorry...going to have to call BS on this statement as well. I can guarantee that DTVideos, MonsterVidz and AV District source from Youtube or Vevo but VJ-Pro is all label provided. Listing one video, Big & Rich, which looks crappy on EVERY legal site but stating you "have a friend" with a clean copy is highly suspect. Why not back it up? How about you put up some screen shots from this supposed clean copy?

Quote:
IN CLOSING, I'd like to reiterate that this is not about bashing... but more so about stating the facts. I've notice a lot of people on here are quick to idolize VJ-Pro... its ok to have faults, not every company is perfect. But it would be nice to see some of the dick riders fall back when new Video DJ's are looking for a good source (If your not a dick rider then this statement doesn't pertain to you)

Can you list any legal or illegal sites for that matter which offer better quality label approved videos?

Quote:
I've also noticed that amongst a lot these Video pools its become more about money than the actual act of getting more people involved in the art of Video DJing. Just know that as you do so it is killing them off as well...

That would be the illegal site you have listed.

Quote:
I welcome comments that look to embrace what I've said in viewed as constructive criticism for people that care to know.
I'm not acknowledging comments from people looking to go back and forth. Im too old to be arguing on an internet forum.

So basically you only want people to comment if they follow your views? Why even post then?

Quote:
I hope some of you that have wanted to say this but have been in fear of being ridiculed find this thread refreshing.

To quote Drop City Yacht Club..."all I heard was crickets." I think you will find that you are one of a very small minority.

Oh and by the way, I am not affiliated with the company if any way. I am speaking as a professional DJ/VJ who has been in the business for 20+ years, has operated my own site in the past and am now just looking for the best source for high quality videos.
XRM5 12:03 AM - 7 June, 2013
Quote:
I really don't know what you're talking about with "Not including the "single" with a lot of the "xtended" videos in the same braket. Which causes you to use more credits". Yes, sometimes they're not in the same bracket (different snipz edits using different rappers, for example) but I've watched the credits on the screen when downloading those and it still looks like one credit for ALL the edits. If you're seeing different you should maybe email them directly for a resolution.

I think he's talking about how a song could come out with edits on the Smashvision side and then have the straight single cut come out the next month on the VJ-Pro side (or vice versa) and cost separate credits.

I'd love to see that fixed but it's not a deal-breaker.
lvmez 1:47 AM - 7 June, 2013
I thought DTV was legit. Guess not.
ClubBusta 4:01 PM - 7 June, 2013
nope dtv is illegal no question when you check a little deeper and its pretty obvious despite their claims about some corny license number on their site meanwhile i see terry dingleberry has gotten awful quiet so my man while your maybe still here can we ask what the hell are those things growing all over your neck? sorry people i just cant help it lol i am sick
DJMark 9:17 PM - 7 June, 2013
First post...

...last post?
Xtendamix 9:34 PM - 7 June, 2013
Terry Tone must be an alias for someone else. We have no record of him in our system and he doesn't have much of a profile either
phatbob 9:44 PM - 7 June, 2013
Just ask the NSA... They'll know.

(topical jk)

;-)
Doug Howard 9:57 PM - 7 June, 2013
We have no record of this person in our client roster either..... oh well.
Joshua Carl 10:07 PM - 7 June, 2013
Quote:
Let me start by saying that this is no way a bash thread... but for adults.

Im currently downloading all of VJ-Pro, Xtendamix, DTVideos & MonsterVidz from a blog.
Id love to steal from the new AV District site as well...

fixed**
DJRemixEnt 10:35 PM - 7 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Let me start by saying that this is no way a bash thread... but for adults.Im currently downloading all of VJ-Pro, Xtendamix, DTVideos & MonsterVidz from a blog.Id love to steal from the new AV District site as well...
fixed**

Lmao
popnwave 10:37 PM - 7 June, 2013
Says he's a VJ here in my town as well.. never heard of him and I know most of the guys doing video in the greater Tampa area from my years in the market.

Not sure what these sour grapes are about? Memberships at even $20 is sh*tloads less than what it cost me per month in the Rockamerica and Wolfram Video days. Would most of these complainers have survived before they could just download all of their material via less than dubious means? Also I know that between bandwidth and whatever the labels bleed the pools for these days in licensing their material it's a decent deal.

All I can do is shake my head at claims like this.
DJMark 10:41 PM - 7 June, 2013
Quote:
We have no record of this person in our client roster either..... oh well.

Got a listing for a Gargamel, perhaps?
Joshua Carl 10:45 PM - 7 June, 2013
everyone wants to make money, but they think everything is for free.
peoples jaws hit the floor when i tell them how many people hit me up about getting the mix emergency update for free.

I still know people who pay next to nothing, if not nothing every month and have everything from everywhere.
nothing like destroying the well you get water from.
Rebelguy 11:14 PM - 7 June, 2013
Quote:
Just ask the NSA... They'll know.

(topical jk)

;-)

Haha
Rebelguy 11:15 PM - 7 June, 2013
Dude was probably from AV District and just dropped their name in his post to throw people off.
ClubBusta 2:16 AM - 8 June, 2013
no rebelguy most definitely from vjstreet another clown outfit wonder do they have a listing in their rosters for a dj skin lesions? sorry i am one sick puppy and yes i know i am going to hell for that sorry sorry lol
ta2423 9:25 PM - 8 June, 2013
LOL. Pack of wolves vs Bambi. The remix
Taipanic 6:03 PM - 11 June, 2013
Quote:
Says he's a VJ here in my town as well.. never heard of him and I know most of the guys doing video in the greater Tampa area from my years in the market.

That is not possible. By my calculation, there are 1,427,639 DJs in Tampa Bay, not including the Scaryaoke & strip club jocks...
Taipanic 6:12 PM - 11 June, 2013
Quote:
everyone wants to make money, but they think everything is for free.
peoples jaws hit the floor when i tell them how many people hit me up about getting the mix emergency update for free.

I still know people who pay next to nothing, if not nothing every month and have everything from everywhere.
nothing like destroying the well you get water from.

+1 I pay right around $100.00 month for videos. A lot cheaper than I used to pay for vinyl, but I'm not DJing full time anymore. It would be nice if you could eliminate the "DJ's" from your market that aren't using legit music, I'm sure it would be closer to the old days, with a lot more opportunities out there for the truly passionate DJs who are willing to invest in their craft.
Maskrider 11:17 PM - 11 June, 2013
I invested too much in Djing than anything else....It is a passion and if I get paid it's because of the quality of equipment and entertainment they are getting.
djpuma_gemini 7:12 PM - 14 June, 2013
I call BS on this and to complain about one video is a sad attempt at best, but I'm also trying to see your point in all of this.

Smash has been putting out quality stuff for a long while and they also have gotten much better since merging with vj-pro.

HD I believe is more because it does cost them bandwidth and also, why in the hell would anyone download both HD and SD.

Choose one and be done.
DJMark 10:31 PM - 14 June, 2013
Quote:
HD I believe is more because it does cost them bandwidth and also, why in the hell would anyone download both HD and SD.

Actually it doesn't look like they're charging any more for the HD version, which is great.

What I was referring to (in another thread, I think) was using up a credit downloading the "HD" of something that had been downloaded "SD" previously (at a time when an "HD" wasn't available). It's hardly the end of the world, but a minor bummer...

The OP of course was never seen again, in true drive-by troll fashion.