Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

I must buy a new notebook for djing with SL1

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
pueblofunky 12:40 PM - 1 June, 2013
Hi,

I must buy a new notebook - preferred with Windows 7 64-bit. I own Serato SL1 and use Serato 2.4.4.

I know there are problems around - so I need your help before I buy a new notebook:

1) Are there problems with specific processors? Which can I use which must I avoid?

2) Are there problems with SL1 (USB 1.1 hardware?) and USB 3.0? Most notebooks only have USB 3.0 anymore.

3) In case of 2), should I buy a hub with USB 2.0? Are there some recommended stable products around.

4) In case of Windows 8/8.1 is installed (not RT of course!). Will I have problems? Is it better (instead of Windows 7) with USB 3.0 and SL1 (USB 1.1 hardware) regarding drivers and firmware?

5) Any other problems?

6) Any recommended notebooks?

I have to buy + setup all soon - next big dj date is June 22nd.

In the meantime I'm djing with my 250 GB FAT32 harddisc - all converted from WAV to MP3 and prepared with Recordbox on CDJ 2000 systems - but this is no option.

In practise I prefer Serato - much better software, can take my NTFS 3 TB without converting into MP3, big display, smart crates, superb coloured waveform which helps a lot to pre-sort out good masters visually, WAV tagging on the fly during djing ...

Thanks a lot!
DJ Tecniq 4:46 PM - 1 June, 2013
Im not really sure which is best for serato for windows but HP laptops seems to work really well. It is all about the processor when dealing with windows however sometimes it just easier to just buy a mac if you truly want a computer to last you a very long time. Good luck!
DJ Tecniq 4:49 PM - 1 June, 2013
I used to own a HP Pavilion laptop about 8-9 yrs old and I ran it with SL1 with little problems it was also before the new processors came out. I have a friend who uses an HP with hardly any issues. Also hear that lenovo laptops are some very powerful recommendations. But it's all about what you want and what's going to fit you best.
pueblofunky 8:52 AM - 2 June, 2013
I asked here again because all other sticky threads and links to FAQ are out-of-date and sometimes without any relationship to the latest version, etc.. No info about fixed or not. Too much info in too much threads.

In the meantime I've tested Serato 2.4.4 with SL1 via USB 3.0 on my home PC with Windows 7 64-bit incl. all updates from MS, incl. firmware updates from USB 3.0 chips, etc. with this processor - and it worked all without any problems.

Now I have to find a good & cheap notebook. ;-)

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 4 (max 8)
Number of threads 4 (max 16)
Name Intel Core i5 760
Codename Lynnfield
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 1156 LGA (0x1)

Chipset
----------------------------------------------------------------------
---

Northbridge Intel DMI Host Bridge rev. 11
Southbridge Intel P55 rev. 06
deejdave 3:20 PM - 2 June, 2013
I admittedly did not read your entire post but I will put this out there. Is there any reason you are choosing not to go mac? I use a MacBook Pro with my DDJ-SX & Serato DJ as well as a MAcBook Pro with my Nexus system running SSL, Rekordbox & Traktor. When I say I have never ran into a problem I mean I HAVE NEVER RUN INTO A PROBLEM. The ONLY issue I ever had was a freeze issue with SDJ that I completely feel was my fault due to wire movement. Years ago I used a windows based laptop (due to not having a lot of money at the time) and had a plethora of issues. I very quickly saw the light after reading the forums & talking to friends and purchased my first MacBook Pro and have never even thought of looking back. To this day I still have my windows PC's but I use them for entertainment, music downloading, & office purposes.

Again this is NOT brainwashing or suffering of marketing campaigns. I use Apple products & Pioneer products due to 16 years of trial & error/sweat & blood.

When it comes to my work ..................If it aint PRO it don't GO!!!
pueblofunky 5:35 PM - 2 June, 2013
I don't want a MAC. It's not because I hate Apple or so. I have an iPad - and yes - I'm confused every time I sync the files from my PC with the iPad. Just tried to copy a short private video on the iPad - it has taken 30 min how-to ... I always pressed the EJECT button at the right of "iPad" because I've thought this is to select ... ;-)

I want to have one system, have the same software everywhere (and the most important - Directory Opus file commander isn't available for Windows, also not foobar2000 or Tag & Rename), bought multiple licenses of it which I don't want to loose, etc.
pueblofunky 5:35 PM - 2 June, 2013
PS: typo ... "isn't available for Mac"
DJ Tecniq 8:49 PM - 2 June, 2013
Quote:
I want to have one system, have the same software everywhere
then that would be a mac. Every mac has nothing but mac software installed there is no 3rd party. I will say this I don't think serato genuinely cares if windows doesn't run well with later versions. They have done their part to fix certain issues with processors in the past however i don't think they are capable of doing this for every version of serato and making every windows laptop to be compatible with their software. I say if you stick with windows you are only hurting yourself. Maybe you have a birthday coming or or x-mas. Mac's are the future. Serato has done their part and did their best to cater at windows platforms..However windows has failed to do anything for Serato. Yes mac's are expensive but to have one last your years possibly forever and your reputation is on the line then mac is just the way to go. No viruses, No malware, No adware they just work.
deejdave 11:24 PM - 2 June, 2013
All propaganda aside. Truly one must consider the importance of reliability over convenience. To possibly lose the licenses of those programs in which Mac has versions that are more capable anyways is a small price to pay for top performance while maintaining almost 100% reliability. If you truly feel that way then do what you feel is necessary. I am only saying IF because when I didnt have enough money for mine I came up with every excuse in the book to reassure that macs (and at the time Pioneer) were not necessary. I was running Denon systems with windows laptops. I said I didnt like the Pioneer cue system to justify my Denons and I didn't like Itunes/there weren't enough programs to justify my pc. Both were just smoke shields for me to hide behind as the benefits completely outweigh the (what turned out to be fake) detriments.
pueblofunky 6:14 AM - 3 June, 2013
Hi,

I don't want to discuss about Mac vs. Windows. Every 2nd thread I start I get a reply "why don't you switch to Mac?".

Of course I don't understand why there are still Windows 8 problems (only read about) because this OS version is available for 2 years now (incl. beta).

I want a solution, help or info if there are still known technical hardware, BIOS, firmware or driver problems with specific processors and Windows 7 / 8 with the latest Serato 2.4.4, SL1, USB 3.0.

So any hint which models, processors are definitely not working or working for 100 % would be helpful.

In case you don't know the details - install and run CPU-Z and post processor and chipset info (could be exported into .txt file).

Thanks a lot
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:06 PM - 3 June, 2013
Hey Pueblo,

The information regarding what processors to stay away from are the same when using an SL1 or TTM57. Stay away from the P6000 and "i" series processors.
Everything else should work. Of course I can't say with 100% certainty that every other computer will work but we haven't ran into any issues with any other newer PC computers.

Your best bet is to find some computers you're interested in and posting in the DJing Discussions section of the forum to see if others are using the computer you're interesting in buying.
pueblofunky 6:39 PM - 3 June, 2013
Thanks,

however - my "i" PC works at home without any problems ...

Name Intel Core i5 760
Codename Lynnfield
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 1156 LGA (0x1)

I'll take Serato with me to the shop and ask if I can make a test installation if they want to make a deal ;-)
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:08 PM - 3 June, 2013
Quote:
however - my "i" PC works at home without any problems ...

You are lucky to have an "i" machine that does work:)

I would still highly suggest staying away from them if you intend to use it with an SL1 or TTM57.
emiliano65@hotmail.com 8:45 AM - 4 June, 2013
yes, go with what zach says. stay away from i3, i5, & i7's processor series. also stay away from p series processors.

go with the b series processor. the b series works great. for example b980 processor is a 2.4 ghz. and it should only cost you around $400 for the laptop at best buy or frys. you should also reformat the computer and install windows 7 (if it comes with windows 8).

intel has the 3rd generation dual core 2020M series processor with 2.4 ghz and 1600 mhz bus. i haven't tested it yet, but there hasn't been any reported problems with it either.

i have been using a sl1 since 2004 and also using the 57 since 2010. i have never once had a problem with my pc shutting down or freezing. serato works perfect always. i have used xp, vista, and windows 7.

good luck.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:55 PM - 4 June, 2013
I would also suggest staying away from the super cheap deals. You will get what you pay for!
Most computer manufacturers will put a good processor and a bunch of ram in a computer but will skimp out on other components such as the USB card, video card, and mother board. You are at the mercy of the worst component in the computer.
DJ Rendezvous 12:03 AM - 1 July, 2013
I must say, that I use a Toshiba Qosimo with an i7-3630 running Scratch Live and Serato Video on the Windows 8 platform and it works flawlessly. Coming from a Macbook previously, this was a much better upgrade for me.
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:41 PM - 1 July, 2013
^ Lucky:)
deejdave 7:42 PM - 1 July, 2013
That certainly is luck. Price is not bad I see either starting at around $850 for a refurb. I don't like the look of them but any PC that runs Serato with no issue is a miracle. If only I didnt purchase that MacBook two weeks ago LOL J/K I would never.
Dj matty k 10:47 PM - 1 July, 2013
Quote:
I admittedly did not read your entire post but I will put this out there. Is there any reason you are choosing not to go mac? I use a MacBook Pro with my DDJ-SX & Serato DJ as well as a MAcBook Pro with my Nexus system running SSL, Rekordbox & Traktor. When I say I have never ran into a problem I mean I HAVE NEVER RUN INTO A PROBLEM. The ONLY issue I ever had was a freeze issue with SDJ that I completely feel was my fault due to wire movement. Years ago I used a windows based laptop (due to not having a lot of money at the time) and had a plethora of issues. I very quickly saw the light after reading the forums & talking to friends and purchased my first MacBook Pro and have never even thought of looking back. To this day I still have my windows PC's but I use them for entertainment, music downloading, & office purposes.

Again this is NOT brainwashing or suffering of marketing campaigns. I use Apple products & Pioneer products due to 16 years of trial & error/sweat & blood.

When it comes to my work ..................If it aint PRO it don't GO!!!

Everyone one should think like this and just do it right :-)
Dj matty k 10:51 PM - 1 July, 2013
Quote:
That certainly is luck. Price is not bad I see either starting at around $850 for a refurb. I don't like the look of them but any PC that runs Serato with no issue is a miracle. If only I didnt purchase that MacBook two weeks ago LOL J/K I would never.

Like this bit a pc that runs Serato with no problems is a miracle do it right with mac or not at all :-)
Dj matty k 10:52 PM - 1 July, 2013
Quote:
I must say, that I use a Toshiba Qosimo with an i7-3630 running Scratch Live and Serato Video on the Windows 8 platform and it works flawlessly. Coming from a Macbook previously, this was a much better upgrade for me.

Touch wood as he types this ;-) lol
pueblofunky 4:52 PM - 26 July, 2013
FYI:

I've bought a

Lenovo Ideapad Y580 39.6 cm (15.6 inch) Notebook with Intel Core i7 3630QM (released September 2012) with Windows 8.

SSL 2.4.4/2.5 is running without any problem.

The only one problem I've noticed is Windows 8 with the own USB 3.0 driver with external USB 3.0 drives which support UASP (e.g. Lacie 4 TB Quadro - but not the 3 TB!).

Multiple times the transfer speed failed down to 5 MB/s! At first I've thought Serato has problems with Windows 8 and/or connected to USB3.0/2.0 because the audio had a drop out - which only happend because Serato didn't get the audio data from the harddisc (WAV file)!

The 4 TB hard disc was only my backup hard disc (using on my Windows 7 on my PC) - but with my LaCie 3 TB there was NO problem (no support of UASP) and all works fine.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:48 PM - 26 July, 2013
Great:) Thanks for the update!

I'll close this thread now. Re-post if you'd like to re-open it.