DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

OFFICIAL Winter Music Conference 2009 Dates, Who is goin

Deejay Z 9:23 PM - 16 October, 2008
March 25-29, 2008

Let's start the discussion,

Who's goin? Who's Performing and were at?

This will be my first time down there, working on getting a couple gigs....
DJ Rugged One 9:25 PM - 16 October, 2008
Me and my boy are going....and it is definite and not backing out this time !
DjWoody 11:10 PM - 16 October, 2008
I'm going!!!
sopranosupasta 2:03 AM - 17 October, 2008
Ill be on tour, but i wont be that far away, maybe i can lock in a gig for wmc? hmm,... Ill keep yall posted.
Deejay Z 8:25 PM - 11 November, 2008
Bump.....Im thinking of getting the WMC pass that is being sold online, Ive heard different reviews....what is everyones opinion for a first timer?

THANKS
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:55 AM - 12 November, 2008
Quote:
Bump.....Im thinking of getting the WMC pass that is being sold online, Ive heard different reviews....what is everyones opinion for a first timer?

THANKS

First timer huh... Ahhh the memories.

Well I haven't been to WMC in about 6 or 7 years (before 9/11), but I hear it has changed dramatically, so maybe others will chime in to give more current info.

Here is my take based on the 7 (OR WAS IT 10?) consecutive years that I went.

As far as the pass, think of the seminars and panels like this forum. You can come here and just lurk and read and learn a lot of useful info (plus read some funny shit) BUT the real beauty is when you post and join in the discussions.

Same thing there, you are paying a pretty penny for the WMC pass, - USE IT - ASK QUESTIONS at the panels, speak up, and be seen and heard.

Again, one way to get known as a key individual in your market was to introduce yourself on the Mic when you ask a question like:

"I am DJ Sixxx, representin' Bakersfield Cali and all the Gay DJ's that love to play Mash-ups - and my question is...."

Pretty soon, your name will be put with a face and a location, and you can be considered a key DJ or tastemaker in your area.

Even if you don't have a actual question, some guys kissed ass or gave props and made statements to industry professionals that they admired.

Bring business cards to swap AND DO NETWORK WITH EVERYBODY.

Back in the day, I remember chilling Poolside with people who seemed like regular folk or just plain up and coming DJ's or Artists (nobodies), who later became top industry people in demand in the next year or two.

Ask to be added to mailing lists, get their cards and contact info (or who to contact).

Most importantly, know WHY you are going and WHAT you want to achieve going into the event.
Julls 3:59 AM - 12 November, 2008
Damn Art! Great post!
Jesus Christ 4:28 AM - 12 November, 2008
Quote:
"I am DJ Sixxx, representin' Bakersfield Cali and all the Gay DJ's that love to play Mash-ups - and my question is...."

Ahahahahaha....
airdrawn 9:19 AM - 12 November, 2008
just came back from the Amstetdam Dance Event a few weeks and wil definitely be going to Miami, may not be as relevant anymore but still a great place for parties and hooking up with industry buddies.
Maskrider 9:37 AM - 12 November, 2008
Wish I could go there just for the experience but I can't.

Not enough funds so I'm just gonna be hearing stories from you guys.
sixxx 2:00 PM - 12 November, 2008
lol Art you bastard! Hahahaha
Deejay Z 11:18 PM - 12 November, 2008
thanks for the info Art....keep it comin guys....once it gets closer a SSL meetup will def be in order!
DJ Dynamite - NJ 3:33 PM - 13 January, 2009
I'll be in the area. Not going to WMC though. It's changed too much and I think it sucks now. I'll be spinning at a couple parties on the strip. I'll post the dates and locations as soon as they are all confirmed.
DJ Jonasty 5:56 PM - 13 January, 2009
I want to go, but vacations at my day job are frowned upon till after april 15th... end of tax season. I really need to go pro so I can go whenever the f$#@ I want. Been wanting to go to wmc for years!
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:58 PM - 13 January, 2009
Ill be there, missed last year and need to make up for it
DjWoody 8:11 PM - 13 January, 2009
Flight's Booked!!!! WOOOHOOOO
DjWoody 9:02 PM - 13 January, 2009
OH WHY OH WHY DO I HAVE TO CHOOSE!!!!!

3/26/09: Juicy Beach w/Robbie Rivera, James Zabiela, Axwell, Antoine Clamaran, Tocadisco, Joachim Garraud, Kaskade, Alex Gaudino, Donald Glaude @ Nikki Beach
3/26/09: Sasha, John Digweed @ Mansion
3/26/09: Hernan Cattaneo, Darren Emerson @ Shine
3/26/09: Pryda Night with Eric Prydz & Sebastian Leger @ TBA
frost-9 9:09 PM - 13 January, 2009
^^ Pryda Night
DjWoody 9:18 PM - 13 January, 2009
Yup! That's exactly what I'm thinking too! I really hope Sven Vath plays at WMC this year. That would be a dream come true.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 9:32 PM - 13 January, 2009
Quote:
I want to go, but vacations at my day job are frowned upon till after april 15th... end of tax season. I really need to go pro so I can go whenever the f$#@ I want. Been wanting to go to wmc for years!

Quit your day job and it will force you to become pro...lol
djmarvel 2:48 AM - 14 January, 2009
i never been but im thinking about going, i dont care for the actual conference i just want to network and hit some clubs
Maskrider 6:23 AM - 14 January, 2009
Quote:
Yup! That's exactly what I'm thinking too! I really hope Sven Vath plays at WMC this year. That would be a dream come true.

Take some pictures too.
Deejay Z 3:08 AM - 15 January, 2009
Ya, Has everyone got hotels and airfare, I heard hotels are a bitch??? anyone have ne ideas???? Im lookin to get some guys together and rent a condo for a wk or somethin!
DJ_Motion 7:49 PM - 15 January, 2009
I already booked my flight and Hotel. Im going with 8 peeps and we booked a suite at the wyndam... They do cheaper rates since they host the WMC.. It's at 48th st and alot of the parties are around 1st thru 20th st..... for those who dont know...

ANyone want to meet up let me know.. I have a few friends down there djing at Ultra and a few smaller [if you compare it to Ultra] events...

PM ME!
DJ Dynamite - NJ 9:21 PM - 15 January, 2009
I stayed close to the WMC hotel last time I went. I won't do that again. This year I'm staying close to all the parties. That leaves alot less time for a drunk college chick to sober up before I get her back to my room...lol
Deejay Z 11:32 PM - 15 January, 2009
Im looking on hotwire....weres a good cheapish place?
dj_innovate 12:59 AM - 16 January, 2009
I'm going to WMC. Booked my flight, hotel and got my passes already.
DJ_Motion 8:24 PM - 16 January, 2009
You dont need the pass... It does nothing for you if you just want to go party...

IF you want to go to all the workshops, check out the new hardware "conventions" and all of that jazz then its worth it...

Save yourself a few hunnit and skip the pass....
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:18 PM - 16 January, 2009
Anyone got a hotel room with an extra couch they arent using...possibly some floor realestate
X-Scape 10:48 PM - 16 January, 2009
I'll Be in Miami... PARTY TIME!!!!!!!

Lockin in a Suite @ the Sheraton Miami
djtrippin 11:06 PM - 16 January, 2009
To all those who are coming to town for WMC..

I live in Miami/Ft Lauderdale and operate/work @ the Miami Scratch DJ Academy.

Your all welcome to come by for scratch sessions or any other events we will be taking place in helping to host, such as the WMC Spin-off, our tent at Ultra, and other various scratch/performance dj events that will arise.

Make sure to PM me now in advance!

Peace..
X-Scape 10:25 PM - 20 January, 2009
What up Trippin.. Scratch LA in the House!!
DJ Jonasty 10:46 PM - 20 January, 2009
So to get this right, you don't need a pass to get into workshops or to see all the shows and pool parties? What is the badge for, looks?
Thanks
DJ_Motion 1:14 AM - 21 January, 2009
WOrkshops yes... pool parties and shows no.
DJ_Motion 1:16 AM - 21 January, 2009
The "badge" will get you into ultra for free or you can just pay the door/whatever price... it will also reduce your cover by like 5 bucks at certain parties... the parties you will go to.. the badge really doesnt help... space is till gonna be 50 bucks plus at the door and all the pool parties are still gonna be expensive like 20 or so but a long ass line... ME... I spent about 200 bucks on door cover/parties etc.. and the badge when I decided to go was 300 plus....

The only thing my group is going did was buy one badge so we can get a discount on a suite at our hotel.
Deejay Z 4:49 AM - 21 January, 2009
What hotel are u staying at??? How are prices?? Recommendations...
DJ_Motion 7:59 AM - 21 January, 2009
the wyndam.. they are the hotel that has hosted the conference. It's on 48th st and collins I think.. 46th something like that... FOR FIRST TIME GOERS, I recommend doing all the small silly shit that the badge/wmc offers.. Workshops/Demo stations/Remix classes.. all that stuff... IF you aren't interested in any of that stuff then stay somewhere clost to the 20's or 10's [10th st.] That's where all the parties are located... There are way too many hotels but go and find the beatport party and that's the hotel I'd saty at if my group would venture out.... if you want more help.. let me know Ill put out mys tuff from last year and give yo some hotel names of where the hot parties were.. [hot= line was like a 5 hour wait]

Prices.. I'm not sure.. last year we got our hotel for 159 per night.. slept like 6 of us... this year we got a suite ...
DjWoody 8:19 AM - 21 January, 2009
I'm looking for a hotel too. But I want one that's near all the clubs.
DJ_Motion 8:21 AM - 21 January, 2009
let me get my book.. hold up
DJ_Motion 8:31 AM - 21 January, 2009
DOnt quote me on these but the last 2 years.. the bigger parties have been at the same spot so...

For all the newbies...
IDMA's - Wyndam - 48th st.
DMC spin off - Wyndam

The catalina is a good hotel.. located on 1720/collins
The Marseilles - 1740/Collins [wet grooves pool party HUGE!!!!]
The Shelbourn - 1801/Collins

These 3 host the biggest and best parties.. TRUST ME. Be ready to pay for it and wait in line for the pool parties... Hotel guests get faster access though...

More to come...
Proto J 8:35 AM - 21 January, 2009
what day is ultra?

what nights are the hottest electro/bmore and d&b parties?

i'm thinkin' of just goin' tuesday the 24th through friday the 27th, so i don't miss my weekend dj money...
DJ_Motion 8:40 AM - 21 January, 2009
Hotel astor is very nice 956 washington avenue.. one street over from collins. Smaller more elagant/dark/ cigar loungey

Beach plaza hotel is smaller/cheaper/ not as hype but a place to stay 1401 collins ave...

Same with chelsea hotel - 944 washington ave.

Clevelandar hotel is medium... good place to stay .. close to the action adn has parties in there lounge alot... 1020 ocean drive... that's one street the other way.. from collins opposite of washington... ocean I beileve is literally the street by the sand then collins then washington.

Clinton Hotel - smaller - not alot of parties but a crash site 825 washington ave

Hotel Shelley
Hotel Victor
National Hotel
Pelican Hotel
Riande Contiential Hotel

Sagamore is another medium to largeer size hotel.. some DOPE ass parties too... I reccomend this one if you dont want to go with the larger 3 mentioned above... 1671 collins ave

South Seas Hotel
Standard Hotel/Spa
Surfcomber Hotel
TownHouse Hotel
Whitelaw Hotel

That's pretty much it for south beach.. If you have any questions I still have my "party guide" and "Hotel venu/Resturant listings" books from last year I can get you guys all the info...

Hope this helps a bit... It can be overwhelming looking for a hotel.
DJ_Motion 8:45 AM - 21 January, 2009
Ultra is always the last day.. starts at 12 p.m. [afternoon] to 12 Midnight.. then the after party is next door at the American Airlines center... If you stay on south beach be prepared to pay 40-50 bucks for a cab ride to bicentenial park where ultra is located.. or downtown however you want to say it...

to be honest.. I didnt really see any bmore parties when I went there... and Im not into dnb.. My crew... we go to see florida breaks...

Um electro.. you will have to look for lounge parties.. most of the bigger parties are house/trance dj's which wont do a whole electro set.... Loomk for the beatport part for some good music...
DJ_Motion 8:47 AM - 21 January, 2009
Another point is when you go to a party there will be mini rooms with other genres'.. So you may need to look for the smaller rooms for dnb... but the party will be promoted as a breakbeat or house party...
rhythm 28 11:10 AM - 21 January, 2009
WMC=How can we seperate these assholes from their money?

I don't think it's about the music or industry anymore. Back when it started, there was no internet, blogs, text messages, message boards, etc. Nowadays, you can "network" from home.

If you're gonna go down there because you're trying to break in to the music biz then two things are gonna happen:

1. You'll be inspired to go out and become a better DJ and/or producer.
2. You'll come home pissed because there are jackoffs out there doing stuff you know you can do better and it'll give you a jaded outlook on something you thought you liked doing.

I say go down there at least once and see for yourself.
FlexyD 1:06 PM - 21 January, 2009
For dnb be sure to check out the Viram/Therapy Sessions Party. It usually has all the biggest names in dnb in 2 different rooms, The Viram has all the heavy hitters from Virus and Ram records like Andy C, etc. The Therapy Sessions room is for the people that are in to the harder techier side of dnb and has all the big djs from that side of the genre. Everyone I know that went said it was the best dnb party they have been too. I have not seen the line up for this year though
DJ Dynamite - NJ 11:12 PM - 21 January, 2009
Quote:

I don't think it's about the music or industry anymore. Back when it started, there was no internet, blogs, text messages, message boards, etc. Nowadays, you can "network" from home.

If you're gonna go down there because you're trying to break in to the music biz then two things are gonna happen:

2. You'll come home pissed because there are jackoffs out there doing stuff you know you can do better and it'll give you a jaded outlook on something you thought you liked doing.

Wow, I actually agree with on something Rhythm28...lol
The only point I see in going down is if you have secured a booking to spin. It's a good opportunity to get your name out, because there's alot of college kids down there for spring break. So either secure a booking or load up on promo CDs and hand them out on Collins ave when everybody is out at night.
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:13 PM - 21 January, 2009
Last time i went I almost busted my ass ALOT because every other step down collins was 4 or 5 demo cds lining the floor...that and about 4 inches of fliers
DeeJay Sugar 12:42 AM - 22 January, 2009
whats Ya ll World Greatest Entertainer...This is DJ Sugar From London saying Hello
Respect
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:37 AM - 22 January, 2009
Quote:

ROTFL - so true from the way it sounds, shit has really changed from the Golden Days of WMC. Badge was like Gold, got you into almost everything free - no cover no line.

I remember being pissed for having to pay $10 instead of $20/25 to get into one Hot Party that was Hip Hop/Rap and House while all the Dance music venues were still free (but it was the best party - well worth it). That was the start of the current evolution I think.
Deejay Z 6:21 PM - 22 January, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

ROTFL - so true from the way it sounds, shit has really changed from the Golden Days of WMC. Badge was like Gold, got you into almost everything free - no cover no line.

I remember being pissed for having to pay $10 instead of $20/25 to get into one Hot Party that was Hip Hop/Rap and House while all the Dance music venues were still free (but it was the best party - well worth it). That was the start of the current evolution I think.

with all this talk i may just go to Vegas for the week.....Hotels are like 100 bucks a night tops!

Spending a grand for the week on hotels alone at WMC seems crazy! Write off or not ;-)
DJ Dynamite - NJ 8:49 PM - 22 January, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

with all this talk i may just go to Vegas for the week.....Hotels are like 100 bucks a night tops!

Spending a grand for the week on hotels alone at WMC seems crazy! Write off or not ;-)

True, but WMC in south beach = easy college girls (priceless)
Deejay Z 8:54 PM - 22 January, 2009
Or I can stay on my campus = College Girls DAILY! ;-)

I guess Ill enjoy it while it lasts!
DJ Dynamite - NJ 10:33 PM - 22 January, 2009
You can stay on campus, but they're a little more reserved when they're on campus. When they go to SoBe they let loose and go wild.
Deejay Z 10:46 PM - 22 January, 2009
hahaha.....too funny! But sooooooo true
DJ_Motion 12:17 AM - 23 January, 2009
Get a group together.. That's what I do.. Last year I paid 30 bucks per night and some nights we had other peeps crash so it got cheaper. Im sure you forum dj's can get something together to make it cheap.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 1:10 AM - 23 January, 2009
I have a timeshare so I'm good :-P
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:10 AM - 23 January, 2009
Quote:
Get a group together.. That's what I do.. Last year I paid 30 bucks per night and some nights we had other peeps crash so it got cheaper. Im sure you forum dj's can get something together to make it cheap.

Yep, I remember those days, pretty much all you do in the Hotel is shit, shower, and shave. We always rolled 3 or 4 deep minimum to a room and split the tab. You are probably clubbing 'til 5 or 6am and sleeping 'til Noon. Back then we also did room drops of Vinyl, T-Shirts and Swag (man I miss the old days), but that is probably a non-issue now.

Pic from the last time I was there back in the day - Loaded with Vinyl and Swag:

img530.imageshack.us

Poolside networking was just sick back in the day (not a party - just people hanging and networking):

img297.imageshack.us

I remember we got upgraded to a Suite at the Fountainbleu the same year Whitney was filming The Bodyguard Movie - saw the Helicopter while they were filming the Balcony scene on the way out to go to a club. I loved that Hotel.
Proto J 6:22 AM - 23 January, 2009
i stayed at the fountainbleu in '99 when i went...

top floor penthouse suite...

that hotel ruled!
Millz 7:36 AM - 23 January, 2009
Im spinnin Tuesday, March 24th at SoBe Twist from 1a - 3a. I booked my flight, and got most of my tickets for the parties Im attending, but havnt decided on hotel yet. If anyone has room for 3 more people, hit me on a private msg.

Thanks
Proto J 6:20 AM - 2 February, 2009
ok, what's the best hotels, best price, around all the action?
Narzod 8:36 AM - 2 February, 2009
I just booked my flight as well this weekend. Booking the hotel is next.
DJ Rugged One 6:34 PM - 2 February, 2009
Booked my reservations and hotel...also getting a badge too so now I'm all set.
Narzod 4:23 AM - 3 February, 2009
Does anyone know if there will be a SSL meet up at the Remix Hotel(National Hotel) like last year?
Millz 5:44 AM - 3 February, 2009
last years serato party was at the laundry room...free corona and jagr and annoying jungle and dnb at 5pm lol
Millz 5:44 AM - 3 February, 2009
err laundry bar
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:41 PM - 3 February, 2009
HAAHH you dj so bad...you spin jungle with a maytag dryer and 4 pairs of reebok classics
djtrippin 10:36 AM - 4 February, 2009
dont hate on the laundry bar, altho im not a fan of jungle it (was) one of the only "real" clubs who puts on local and independent acts on south beach
Millz 1:22 PM - 4 February, 2009
I wasnt hatin on the club, I think its a great concept. Matter of fact I did a load of laundry later on in the week there haha
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:39 PM - 4 February, 2009
LOL @ millz
dj_innovate 8:35 PM - 4 February, 2009
Last I heard (but not positive) after speaking to a few of the guys from Rane during the NAMM show, they weren't going to do Remix Hotel. I've yet to hear what they're gonna do if anything.
Millz 9:27 PM - 4 February, 2009
The Remix Hotel is a bit overrated...they did have a nice LED Screen behind the booth last year thou...
DjWoody 11:21 PM - 4 February, 2009
Woohooo...

I just booked my hotel! I'm staying at the Chelsea on 10th & Washington.

$199 a night is not bad!
djtrippin 2:23 AM - 5 February, 2009
LOL millz... good shit.
Proto J 3:29 AM - 5 February, 2009
Quote:
Woohooo...

I just booked my hotel! I'm staying at the Chelsea on 10th & Washington.

$199 a night is not bad!

yeah, i'm looking for hotels right now...

how close is that to all the action?
DjWoody 5:06 AM - 5 February, 2009
That's where all the action is! I'm across the street from Bed, and a few blocks from Mansion, Cameo, and a couple of others.

I think this map will help you guys out. Some people at another forum put it together. It shows all the clubs, bars, restaurants, and hotels in South Beach for WMC.

maps.google.com
DjWoody 5:07 AM - 5 February, 2009
This thread has almost every event worth mentioning going on during WMC.

www.tranceaddict.com
Millz 6:11 AM - 5 February, 2009
I love wmc...my only vacation of the year
Proto J 7:26 AM - 5 February, 2009
thanx woody!

i dunno though, i haven't seen any parties goin' on i'd be super interested in yet...

i'm mostly looking for electro (like killthenoise, boysnoize, ect.) parties and d&b parties, but i haven't seen a lot...

i'm only staying from tuesday until friday afternoon if i go (gotta get back home and get that weekend dj money), and it's looking like i'll miss the best shows on friday and saturday night...
Millz 7:38 AM - 5 February, 2009
Robbie Rivera's Juicy Party @ Nikki Beach is Thursday...
Dj Nature 9:34 AM - 5 February, 2009
I'll definitely be there, booking flights this week
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:15 PM - 5 February, 2009
still lookin at hotels and waiting for th other people goin with me to get theri money together...prices just keep goin up
Deejay Z 2:36 PM - 5 February, 2009
Quote:
still lookin at hotels and waiting for th other people goin with me to get theri money together...prices just keep goin up

Arent we in a recession?? Shouldn't prices keep going down....UGH!
DeezNotes 3:35 PM - 5 February, 2009
I think I'm supposed to be going, but I haven't heard anything yet.
DJ Rugged One 4:49 PM - 5 February, 2009
Quote:

WMC thinks we make good money of djing and producing music....GO FIGURE !!!!

Seriously they should at this stage but that's not gonna happen. If you book hotel, reservations and a badge early then the situation would be different.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:17 PM - 5 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

WMC thinks we make good money of djing and producing music....GO FIGURE !!!!

Seriously they should at this stage but that's not gonna happen. If you book hotel, reservations and a badge early then the situation would be different.

Ya but I couldnt in my situation, Since I cant take the whole week off Im not doin the whole WMC im just doin ULTRA, and I could have booked my room\tickets waaay in advance but as usual i have to scour the area looking for people who want\can go then wait for them to scrounge up their money before i book. The last 2 years ive gone Ive booked the room before getting the money and each time at the last minute the other people either cant go or cant get the money and im stuck footing the entire bill, not this year
DJ_Motion 9:27 PM - 5 February, 2009
^^^ That would just piss me off.
DJKelly 2:20 AM - 9 February, 2009
I'll be there, actually getting to Miami Sat 3/21 :)

Kelly
djnvs 4:33 AM - 9 February, 2009
i'll be there...gonna enter the spin off... so.. wish me luck
Deejay Z 4:36 AM - 9 February, 2009
Good Luck!
yuri 10:54 PM - 10 February, 2009
im debating on going.. if anyone is looking for an extra roomate for their room then hit me up on PM