DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

AVOID PIONEER HEADPHONES!

mor 6:05 PM - 21 May, 2013
So a few months back I bought a pair of HDJ 1500's, sick can's I thought at first, great bass, great sonic isolation, sound way better than the Xone's I have... That was until somebody swiped the cord from me. Now would I have no problem paying for a new cord, if it was reasonably priced that is. The replacement cord on the 1500 is the same as on the 500, and on ebay and else where online I can't find a cord available for less than $70! Some how I don't think Pioneer spends half of the money that goes into the production of these headphones on cords, and in reality making the replacements so expensive kinda eliminates the whole point of having a detachable cable, if replacing the cable costs so much why not just go shopping for a new pair of cans?
My two cents.
bicedidit 6:08 PM - 21 May, 2013
whats so special about them? is there a notch to keep them in place? cant you just use another 1/8 inch to 1/8 inch?
mor 6:14 PM - 21 May, 2013
yeah they have 2 little pins on the side,I tryed going for another cable and it wouldn't stay in the hole. and it's an 8th inch to a 2.5mm cable I believe, in looking around I found one guy who was able to get a regular adapter cable to fit, and only by modifying the phones.
bicedidit 6:17 PM - 21 May, 2013
yea thats kinda disappointing. the beats by dre and technic rp1200's can use a regular headphone cord, altho the technics do have a notch to avoid pulling the cable out in use. ive been considering buying the black pio hdj 2000 for a while now. thnx for the heads up!
mor 6:17 PM - 21 May, 2013
Initially
i thought the twist lock pin design was a great idea, now I just feel pissed that I am either gonna have to pull something shady or spend way too much money to get the phones working again.
Mr. Goodkat 6:46 PM - 21 May, 2013
avoid people who steal cords and watch your kit instead?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:14 PM - 21 May, 2013
Quote:
avoid people who steal cords and watch your kit instead?

Solid advice
Laz219 1:21 AM - 22 May, 2013
It's the case with anything- accessories are always insanely priced.
Cosmic Sunrise 6:10 AM - 22 May, 2013
avoid them all .. lol the head band brokes itts cheap ..
Code:E 6:14 AM - 22 May, 2013
Quote:
yea thats kinda disappointing. the beats by dre and technic rp1200's can use a regular headphone cord, altho the technics do have a notch to avoid pulling the cable out in use. ive been considering buying the black pio hdj 2000 for a while now. thnx for the heads up!

HDJ 2000's dont have that same cord. They have a very common miniXLR.

I just have to say my HDJ 2000s are the best headphone I have ever own in 12 years.
Laz219 9:42 AM - 22 May, 2013
Quote:

I assume you're talking about HDJ-1000s?
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:48 AM - 22 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I assume you're talking about HDJ-1000s?

Lol mine broke last night, bought to go see if the super glue worked as we speak
Laz219 11:55 AM - 22 May, 2013
I've tried many ways to fix HDJ-1000s, (I've had a couple of them) ...in the end I figured the best repair is HD-25s.
Cosmic Sunrise 9:57 PM - 22 May, 2013
hdj500 , hdj1500 and hdj 2000 all of them have that problem..

never had the 1000's but the new ones does
Code:E 10:02 PM - 22 May, 2013
Quote:
hdj500 , hdj1500 and hdj 2000 all of them have that problem..

never had the 1000's but the new ones does

I call BS on that. I have owned HDJ2k's since they came out. The band has never been an issue for me or the 6 other djs I know who have them.
Cosmic Sunrise 10:04 PM - 22 May, 2013
i got two pairs of hdj 2000 one brand new ( not problem of course) lol
the other headband broke 3 months after the purchase and im not the only one this aint BS as you call it its a common problem with all new pioneer headphones also got 2 hdj 500 and a pair of hdj1500 for my students and all of them broke
Code:E 10:30 PM - 22 May, 2013
Sorry dude I beat the shit out my headphones, I have gone though every common pair out there and the HDJ2000s have so far blown everything out of the water. Now if you stepping on them or clearly damaging them do to your own fault I'm sure every pair could break.

Now that i0 read your post again I am reminded of a BIG issues with the HDJ2000's Counterfeit copies. Pioneer already said there is lots of them out there. If you took a picture of the pioneer logo on where the bend I could tell you if they are fake or not.
Code:E 10:31 PM - 22 May, 2013
I will come out and say it HDJ1000's sucked. I broke them in 5 months. same place I have broke almost every other pair of cans i owned. The joints where they bend.
Cosmic Sunrise 6:48 AM - 23 May, 2013
lol no fake copies here in fact i use them because them comfortable for a big guy like me 6'6 my ears kind of big and the earpads beat most of the dj headphones ive owned ...wise sounds them hd2000 are ok not the best dj headphones in sounds IMO best are the technics rp dh 1200 but they lack in comfort ... also got a pair of ultrasone DJ1 Pro these IMO are way better than any pioneer forums and come with case ipod cable, and a couple of extra earpads ...

problem with pioneers is the lack of warranty down here sent mine and as usual pioneer warranty is a joke they wanted to charge 200 bucks lol i went and grab another pair and got a second pair because here the Hype for pioneer products helps .. more customers for my school lol but headphones aint that solid they just sell us the industry standar and these big name djs use them but they use it because pioneer pays for it lol
DJ GaFFle 10:59 AM - 23 May, 2013
Everyone says the Pioneer HD2000's are lack-luster when it comes to sound quality. For $349, that's a shame. They are among the best lOOking headphones out there. Their more metal construction materials seem to be a plus too.
Code:E 4:46 PM - 23 May, 2013
Pioneer doesn't claim there are a reference headphone. They say they have tunes it to make the kicks and snares more prominent for easier mixing. Don't produce with them.

It is all opinion, I have just never had any headband issues with mine.
DJ GaFFle 6:41 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Pioneer doesn't claim there are a reference headphone. They say they have tunes it to make the kicks and snares more prominent for easier mixing. Don't produce with them.

Well that a great thing! ^^^

They may be my next headphone. I love the look of them on my big head. I just don't want to pay $349 for 'em nor do I want any chance of buying fakes. Sam Ash has a big sale going on now. I may hit them up to see what I can get 'em for.

(nm)
DJ Guayo 7:22 PM - 23 May, 2013
you can save some dough buying them from here. i bought my 2000s a while back. They are legit too.

www.bhphotovideo.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:23 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Well that a great thing! ^^^

They may be my next headphone. I love the look of them on my big head. I just don't want to pay $349 for 'em nor do I want any chance of buying fakes. Sam Ash has a big sale going on now. I may hit them up to see what I can get 'em for.

(nm)

Guitar center memoral day weekend sale, 15% off anything 299 and up
Cosmic Sunrise 9:29 PM - 23 May, 2013
better the technics 1200... reloops rhp 20...
even ultrasones dj1 pro
Niro 12:11 AM - 24 May, 2013
The band issue on the pioneer hdj2000 is a common problem. All 4 pairs I've had have fallen victim. It's usually caused by folding them to store. The pressure while folded will break the little black piece. HD25ii for the win. Their service department is also really really good.
Code:E 1:41 AM - 24 May, 2013
I always fold mine and I had to pull mine out to figure out what black plastic part your talking about. You guys must be crushing them in the bag. I stuff mine into a full backpack and I'm really hard on all my gear. Like really hard. I have new buttons put in my CDJs yearly.
DJ Guayo 2:27 AM - 24 May, 2013
I've had my 2000's for while. The only complaint i have is the ear pad wearing out. i wish there was replacement item for it. Other than that they have been solid.
Niro 3:40 AM - 24 May, 2013
Nope, always put them in the mesh poach in my headliner bag. The part that breaks is not bigger than a few pieces of hair, but as soon as it breaks, it will always snag on your hair.
DJ GaFFle 3:51 AM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
Nope, always put them in the mesh poach in my headliner bag. The part that breaks is not bigger than a few pieces of hair, but as soon as it breaks, it will always snag on your hair.

Dude... your avatar is a problem, WTF LoL!

(nm/nh)
Niro 5:19 AM - 24 May, 2013
Sexual Chocolate
the_black_one 6:12 AM - 24 May, 2013
LOL...... sexual chocolate!!!!!!
the_black_one 6:12 AM - 24 May, 2013
Kepik 12:53 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
I've had my 2000's for while. The only complaint i have is the ear pad wearing out. i wish there was replacement item for it. Other than that they have been solid.

Replacement earpads

www.pioneerelectronics.com

Quote:

As much as I love my HDJ-2000s, mine is the same problem. Its a small line crack, but keeps snagging my hair. Ah well, I deal with it.
DJ Guayo 3:05 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Replacement earpads

www.pioneerelectronics.com

Quote:

As much as I love my HDJ-2000s, mine is the same problem. Its a small line crack, but keeps snagging my hair. Ah well, I deal with it.

thanks for the heads up. I will be buying the replacements soon.
Code:E 6:12 PM - 24 May, 2013
can someone take a picture and show me this part where they crack?
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:02 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
can someone take a picture and show me this part where they crack?

25.media.tumblr.com
eugguy 9:13 PM - 24 May, 2013
Quote:
Sexual Chocolate

This made me laugh.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 7:25 PM - 27 May, 2013
Pioneer headphones suck... I got stuck buying a pair because I couldn't find the Sonys anywhere. 3 months later the left side of the headphones doesn't work anymore. Pioneer P.O.S.
Cosmic Sunrise 7:41 PM - 27 May, 2013
Yes they do suck because warranty sucks and price tags are for wuañity made hesdphones which isnt the case
Cosmic Sunrise 7:42 PM - 27 May, 2013
Quality (ipad keyboard lol)
dj.renegade 9:42 PM - 17 July, 2013
I've bought and fixed 5 pair of hdj-1000's by gluing then melting the plastic with a solder iron the another glue layer outside. That's 3 layers of bonding and I can't break them by hand. If you buy Pioneer headphones new you should use a solder iron and melt the inside of the plastic pieces together. Honestly I've had my sony mdr's since 2005. And they kick pioneers butt in durability and were only $89 for genuine pair. The sound is better than the 1000's and fit great with the oval earpiece. Hdj 2000's are awesome but a bit clunky....
Phil G 11:41 PM - 17 July, 2013
V-Moda = the way forward

I've got V-moda Crossfade LP2, no-one i know has ever heard them. but once they have they are all for them
Niro 11:53 PM - 17 July, 2013
IMO the v-modas have too much bass and I mix headphones only, so it's not representative of the actual sound. I prefer a flat frequency. I'm interested in the new 100's thou.
DJ Unique 12:12 AM - 18 July, 2013
Quote:
IMO the v-modas have too much bass and I mix headphones only, so it's not representative of the actual sound. I prefer a flat frequency. I'm interested in the new 100's thou.

Too much bass for me as well.
dj.renegade 5:58 AM - 18 July, 2013
For those of you who have suffered a break in the plastic on your Pioneer HDJ 1000's here is the best solution I've found to fixing them.
youtu.be
DJ JLM 1:19 AM - 19 July, 2013
Quote:

I dont own the hdj-2000's but couldn't you fill the crack with superglue and sand it flat? I feel like that could fix your problem. But this is not okay for for headphones of this price point.
Niro 1:29 AM - 19 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I dont own the hdj-2000's but couldn't you fill the crack with superglue and sand it flat? I feel like that could fix your problem. But this is not okay for for headphones of this price point.

This will not work, the piece (flap) that breaks is used to keep the wire cover down and is constantly in pressure. So superglueing the crack will only keep it down for an hour or so. Glueing a plastic band around it would probably work, but you shouldn't have to re-modify DJ headphones to use for DJing.
DJ JLM 1:43 AM - 19 July, 2013
Quote:
but you shouldn't have to re-modify DJ headphones to use for DJing.

agree 100%
clearblu 9:59 AM - 19 July, 2013
Seinheisser hd25's,totally rebuildable,brilliant sound quality and comfortable.There is a reason why they are industry broadcast standard.Anything else is just a fashion statement
eugguy 1:39 PM - 19 July, 2013
AKGDJ181!!!! Iss Beesst...
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:43 PM - 19 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This will not work, the piece (flap) that breaks is used to keep the wire cover down and is constantly in pressure. So superglueing the crack will only keep it down for an hour or so. Glueing a plastic band around it would probably work, but you shouldn't have to re-modify DJ headphones to use for DJing.

Cant speak for the 2000s but i can confirm this us 1000% true for the 1000s
eugguy 6:52 PM - 19 July, 2013
I've heard a lot of DJ's having that same problem as well with the Pios.
DJ Nightmare Productions 7:30 PM - 19 July, 2013
i use beats by dres pros.. not the best sounding by any means.. don't really care for how they look.. as they are pretty bulky.. but they are solidly constructed and i have abused them for years with no problems.. they have entirely to much bass... for djing.. though.. i have had to adapt to that.. but other than that they are solid.. my next pair after these break will probly be the Pioneer HDJ 2000
I AM MaDMAx 7:25 PM - 13 September, 2013
buy a non pioneer aux cable online
Joe Fresh 11:27 PM - 13 September, 2013
My HDJ-1500's cracked a few weeks ago, near the adjustable headband part on the inside. Black electrical tape is doing the job holding them together, but it is ridiculous for a $150 pair of headphones to break like that.

Gonna go back to using my TMA-1's for DJ gigs from now on.
sustijnable 12:09 AM - 8 October, 2013
In one year I've had our HDJ-1500's break at the hinges 3 times! replaced the first time, got refunds thru the Guitar Center Pro coverage the next two times. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP CONSTRUCTION = big waste of money and time, unreliable. Shame because they sound great. Now I don't trust Pioneer, so won't even consider the 2000's... wtf Pioneer?
RobDJ dotcom 12:54 AM - 8 October, 2013
Anybody know what happened to the Technic 1200 HEADPHONES? Did they get discontinued even before the tables? I have a pair that is 10+ years old, I've dragged cross country with me a few times, and they're still like brand new (knock on wood). But lately I can't even find evidence online that they ever existed. What happened?
sustijnable 12:58 AM - 8 October, 2013
Quote:
Anybody know what happened to the Technic 1200 HEADPHONES? Did they get discontinued even before the tables? I have a pair that is 10+ years old, I've dragged cross country with me a few times, and they're still like brand new (knock on wood). But lately I can't even find evidence online that they ever existed. What happened?

Discontinued, yes :(
Dj matty k 1:39 AM - 8 October, 2013
Hdj 2000 are the way to go great headphones had them 2 years now only have to replace the cord once but thats because the way it comes out the mixers straight up then folds back on its self , so also for a 90 bend fog them and all is well :-)
sustijnable 1:41 AM - 8 October, 2013
Quote:
Hdj 2000 are the way to go great headphones had them 2 years now only have to replace the cord once but thats because the way it comes out the mixers straight up then folds back on its self , so also for a 90 bend fog them and all is well :-)

Are the hinges metal? I've heard some people say they have the same issue with the plastic cracking on the 2000's as they do on the 1500's...
Dj matty k 1:47 AM - 8 October, 2013
Yeah they are metal :-)
The heavy-duty build of these headphones ensures zero resonance. Sporting a rugged but lightweight magnesium swivel/fold mechanism,
amphidelic 5:11 AM - 8 October, 2013
Same problem with the HDJ-2000 here. Exactly a year after I bought them, the cable crapped out, so the shop's one year warranty had expired... but on closer inspection, I see the headband is starting to crack on mine, too. The plastic, screwed-in panels inside the headband barely fit in their place.

I have a pair of Technics 1200 headphones as backup ... but they actually make the edges of my ears ACHE after half an hour. Not ergonomic at all. They also look ridiculously bulky on my head -and that's coming from my previous pair of Sony MDR-V700s. Worst of all, one-ear listening on the 1200s is a hassle, 'cause they just keep slipping completely off!

The Pioneer 2000s are excellent for fit, but sound quality is a little on the dull side outside of a loud club environment. When these do fail on me, I'll be after the Sennheiser HD-25s. Wasn't impressed trying them on, but the repuation and the raves from long-time owners has me ready to give them a shot next.
Davideon 2:36 PM - 8 October, 2013
One of the best pair I ever used was a £5 pair of Numarks. Who'd have thought
bicedidit 2:42 PM - 8 October, 2013
technic rp 1200's are great for me. not as bass heavy as the beats by dre. had em for about a year. seem durable. sound is pretty good.

and not to expensive. check amazon
DJ GaFFle 3:31 PM - 8 October, 2013
Quote:

The Pioneer 2000s are excellent for fit, but sound quality is a little on the dull side outside of a loud club environment...

They are among the best looking headphones out there. I hear the same on the dull sound quality. (nm)
clearblu 3:34 PM - 8 October, 2013
Wesc Axwell edition were bought as a cheap backup (£40) when I realized the baby had chewed my hd 25's earmuffs. Really surprised at the fit and quality of sound,plus a proper jack to jack coiled cable. Well worth a look
MYZE 6:02 AM - 11 January, 2014
Just an tip for everyone who thinks the HDJ 2000 are too overpriced, which is also my opinion. I think Serato will implement a mono/stereo switch within the DJ Software so for me there is no reason why i should prefer the HDJ 2000 over the HDJ 1500. I really think the HDJ 1500 got a little better sound.
Cosmic Sunrise 2:25 AM - 31 July, 2014
yes indeed hdj 1500 sounds more like a typical dj headphones
but they break too so
djnak 6:32 AM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:
I think Serato will implement a mono/stereo switch within the DJ Software .

Did they Forget to add this in sdj ? Cause it is in scratch live
MYZE 12:39 AM - 3 August, 2014
Quote:
yes indeed hdj 1500 sounds more like a typical dj headphones
but they break too so

Currently i´m using my pair since about December and they still work pretty fine and i know people who are using them since they came out without any problems reported. The really improved the hinges. Sadly i decided to purchase the white ones which are getting a little bit dirty on the earpads quite fast, but in my eyes this is acceptable for a quite low price.
Enver Durmaz 4:30 PM - 26 August, 2014
I advice you to not buy a new pair of headphones. Buy yourself a HDJ-HC01 if you want it to be secure. You can find replacement parts from: parts.pioneerelectronics.com and you can contact your authorized dealer. Ask for WDE1433 (replacement cable) and WKX1035 (plug adaptor) serial numbered parts. If you want same sound quality as HDJ-2000, you can replace your earpads (which called HDJ-EP01). HDJ-1500s headphone driver is same with HDJ-2000s so there won't be any difference in terms of sound. If you're looking for more part names and diagram of the HDJ-1500, check it out from: site.instrumentalparts.com
deejdave 8:08 PM - 26 August, 2014
I have yet to have a single durability related issue with ANY of my Pioneer headphones. I have two HDJ-2000's left after getting rid of one. I got them for $140 from Best Buy so the overpriced thing is out the window when you know how to price things out. They are as solid as the day i bought them. I have ONLY had durability issues with a pair of Sony's which go figure are notoriously durable.

Sound-wise I can see there is something left to be desired. While they sound GREAT I wouldn't say they sound any different from my HDJ-1500's or 1000's. Even my HDJ-500's have a more "dramatic" sound for the price. Then again I got those for $65 LOL from BEST BUY. My HDJ-1500's for $97 (If I remember correctly) from............................. BEST BUY.

I definitely do NOT agree with "AVOID PIONEER HEADPHONES!" but then again I have tons of gear and have compared them directly to others.

Lastly I agree if you are prone to breaking your gear then buying base on parts availability and pricing is a smart idea. I tend to rotate my gear and none of my gear gets rough handling nor are they exposed to any harsh environments of any kind. I DON'T baby my gear either though so I have a good idea of what would handle the abuse if it ever came down to it.

Happy hunting!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:32 PM - 26 August, 2014
I purchased a pair of 2000s last october, the right headphone has lost sound for some reason.
Enver Durmaz 9:29 PM - 26 August, 2014
Quote:
I purchased a pair of 2000s last october, the right headphone has lost sound for some reason.

That problem might be a result of damaged Mini-XLR cable or pin/pins on the headphone
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:33 PM - 26 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

That problem might be a result of damaged Mini-XLR cable or pin/pins on the headphone

On the headphones or the cable?
Enver Durmaz 9:36 PM - 26 August, 2014
"Pins on the headphone" the ones you plug your cable to. That part makes most of the problems on the HDJ-2000. You should check your cable for damage, of course
geeunot 11:12 PM - 26 August, 2014
Quote:

Bro...same thing happened to me. I just turn mine to mono, and everything works fine. The foam on the headphone cup is super loose though. Fell out at couple times.

deejdave: how'd you get the 2000s for that price?
deejdave 11:36 PM - 26 August, 2014
Best Buy discontinued all their Pioneer Headphones about a year ago. I told as many people (even on these forums) as I could and MANY got them before it was too late. Not only that they all same with a warranty LOL.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:57 AM - 27 August, 2014
Quote:
Best Buy discontinued all their Pioneer Headphones about a year ago. I told as many people (even on these forums) as I could and MANY got them before it was too late. Not only that they all same with a warranty LOL.

I bought mine from best buy....was the warranty through best buy or pioneer?
deejdave 3:18 AM - 27 August, 2014
Best Buy. I don't buy ANYTHING without a warranty. Got a three yr on my DDJ-SX that will still have a year on it when I purchase the DDJ-SX2 LOL. I think I got a 2 year on the headphones. They call it black tie protection or whatever. It is a replacement/reimbursement program. They stopped carrying the headphones but I DO KNOW they still get them. As I said I had no actual durability issues with ANY of my Pioneer headphones but I DID get a new pair of my HDJ-500's. If I am being honest "They broke" conveniently when i found out the new models came with the iPhone cable with the Mic built it and the model I bought about 8 months earlier did NOT. Not only that I originally had red and I wanted black (well I wanted whit but they did not have white) instead. Both of these wants lead to my 500's abrupt and sudden demise.

I thought Pioneer offered a 90 day warranty on the headphones against manufacturers defects (which to me means ANYfuknTHING) but I just opened my last pair of HDJ-2000's and couldn't find anything about it in the original paperwork. Was sealed until 5 minutes ago so it must not have been in there. I typically try to avoid the manufacturers warranties anyways as they require you to send stuff back & forth and you must wait with nothing in the interim. I did however use Pioneer's warranty service on my DDJ-SZ and they (as I am sure everyone is aware) paid for shipping both ways and did a hell of a job with the repair.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 1:10 PM - 28 August, 2014
Pioneer headphones suck donkey balls. Every set that I've owned has lost sound in the right side. The last pair lost sound after being used for only a month. I miss my Sony headphones... unfortunately they aren't made anymore :(
deejdave 5:13 PM - 28 August, 2014
Seriously funny. Like I said I've had/have numerous Pioneer headphones and NOT one failed on me and the ONLY set of headphones that failed on me WERE Sony's. It is just personal experiences I guess. If you want the Sony's why not get new old stock off Ebay. NOTHING is unobtainable this day & age.
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 6:43 PM - 28 August, 2014
IMHO these have worked the best for me.... 10 years and counting:

images.businessweek.com
deejdave 6:49 PM - 28 August, 2014
Where are the cups? LOL
DJ Dynamite - NJ 7:41 PM - 28 August, 2014
Quote:
Seriously funny. Like I said I've had/have numerous Pioneer headphones and NOT one failed on me and the ONLY set of headphones that failed on me WERE Sony's. It is just personal experiences I guess. If you want the Sony's why not get new old stock off Ebay. NOTHING is unobtainable this day & age.

I'm good with using the broken ones for now. I only use the left side anyway lol. It just sucks when I go into a venue that only has one monitor on the left side of the booth
Jairen 11:44 PM - 28 August, 2014
A good reason to buy a rebuildable set of cans. HD25-1 II's.
deejdave 12:38 AM - 29 August, 2014
In terms of sound Seinheiser will ALWAYS win in my book but I am quick to also admit in terms of looks they are probably last in my book. The HD25-1's are not as bad but the company does release some weird and nasty looking gear from time to time LOL.
Laz219 11:34 PM - 29 August, 2014
Quote:

Yeah, I hear this all day at work. (electronics store)
First customer will come in for a computer and state "anything but toshiba, they're unreliable"
Next customer will only want toshiba "because they've always been good/reliable"
Next customer will never have had one, but have adopted their friend opinion on them.

All day, every day. With any type of product you can think of. I had a guy the other day want a very particular brand of ADSL filter because he firmly believed matching the brand of filter/modem made it work better.
Code:E 2:29 AM - 31 August, 2014
Quote:
I had a guy the other day want a very particular brand of ADSL filter because he firmly believed matching the brand of filter/modem made it work better.

I wonder if he uses the same brand of cable along with matching lengths
DJ JulioYEG 1:52 AM - 28 April, 2017
the plastic casing for where the ball joint is on the swivel just broke on my hdj 1000s im so pissed I doubt warranty will cover it
deejdave 4:01 PM - 28 April, 2017
You have no warranty. Those have been long discontinued. Unless you bought those new-old stock within the past two or so years I'd say they served their purpose in all fairness.
DJ JulioYEG 12:47 AM - 29 April, 2017
they lasted my a year and a half smh for pio youd expect a longer life well I guess its back to my shures
deejdave 3:22 AM - 29 April, 2017
They were discontinued long before that. Did u find used of on eBay sort of thing?
DJ JulioYEG 5:44 PM - 29 April, 2017
Quote:
Did u find used of on eBay sort of thing?

No they just had them when I to the store... they ar ethe black limited editions.
deejdave 5:52 PM - 29 April, 2017
You may get lucky if the store has a warranty then although they are usually a year. Thing is tough even if you found them and they were being sold as new they are in fact 5+ years old and the plastic could have suffered sun damage etc. Still sucks though I get it. You mind uploading a picture? I have a pair of HDJ-500's hat snapped long ago but I found this fiberglass based tape that made them stronger than they were day one.............. depending on where/how they broke it may work for you.
DJ JulioYEG 7:27 PM - 29 April, 2017
Quote:
You mind uploading a picture?

no problem man here, and i do have the side piece which is not attached in the image.

imgur.com
deejdave 12:38 AM - 30 April, 2017
UGHHH what a tough spot. I got lucky and my band snapped in half making it possible to bind the strap. If it were me and I had no other options I would carefully screw a bolt right through the side and "ball". This would prevent a full X/Y axis but would allow vertical movement at least.
lofty 3:40 PM - 1 May, 2017
1.5 years is pretty good :)

When I was playing regulaly 2 nights a week I would e lucky to get 6 months off the sonymdr500 ( or whatever the popular Sony ones were )
My pioneer 1000 lasted about 1.5 years
I've gotten almost 2 years off my Shure - but the joint is currently held together with packing tape.

Headphones are just a reoccurring expense - like needles - replace regularly

Kind of sucks but that's just the cost of business
deejdave 9:34 PM - 1 May, 2017
Quote:
1.5 years is pretty good :)

Agreed and again keep in mind even if new to JulioYEG they were by no means new as they have been discontinued for years.
Laz219 11:32 PM - 1 May, 2017
That's pretty much exactly as I expect the HDJ1000s to break, pretty sure everyone that ever owned a pair would have had them snap at that joint.
With them, I was always happy to get a year out of them.

Had the same HD25s for about 8 years now and they're still like new.
It'd probably be 12 years but my previous pair were stolen.
John Calipari 12:05 AM - 3 May, 2017
I remember the Sony HP would snap in exactly the same place . . . or was it the Technics?

Can't remember, but I switched to V-Moda M100's about 3 Years ago and never looked back. They're are without a doubt, the most rugged DJ headphones out there, probably the best sounding DJ headphones as well.
deejdave 1:32 AM - 3 May, 2017
Rugged maybe but best sounding I believe still goes to Sennheiser. When listening for me it is what I go with but when DJing I go with Pio's still as they just look the best and sound becomes a bit negligible with harsh acoustic conditions.
Laz219 2:47 AM - 3 May, 2017
I was always tempted by the HDJ2000s, but when I already have a set of Senns I couldn't really justify spending money on something I didn't really need.
I just like the sennheisers as allrounders- comfy on the plane while travelling and perfect for DJing.

When I had the 1000s, they always felt way too tight. Good for isolation but got uncomfortable pretty quickly.
John Calipari 2:12 PM - 3 May, 2017
The old SE-DJ500's were Pioneer's best headphone IMHO.
Taipanic 3:45 PM - 3 May, 2017
Quote:
I was always tempted by the HDJ2000s, but when I already have a set of Senns I couldn't really justify spending money on something I didn't really need.
I just like the sennheisers as allrounders- comfy on the plane while travelling and perfect for DJing.

When I had the 1000s, they always felt way too tight. Good for isolation but got uncomfortable pretty quickly.

Been using the same pair of HDJ2000 for over 6 years now, probably close to 1000 gigs. I've replaced the pads a couple of times and that is it. I keep them in a hard ADJ case and I am not terribly hard on gear. They are good for DJing at volume but I wouldn't use them for high quality audio listening, as others have noted, they are kind of muted and not super clear.