Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

All About Remuxing, A DJ A-Swift Tutorial

a-swift 3:42 PM - 3 September, 2009
Here's an excellent example of how I can take a topic (remuxing), that should take around 45 seconds to explain and I stretch it out to a ridiculous 20 minutes!

Either way if you want to get the nitty gritty details on the Swift method of remuxing, then you'll want to check out this video. There is no new information in this video that I haven't already posted here in numerous threads about remuxing, but this video does collect all those thoughts nicely.

There are two versions. A flash version for the bandwidth challenged and an HD version that you can watch in your browser or download the MP4 direct to your hard drive. Please use the HD version if you can, the quality is soooo much better and you can actually see what I'm doing in the screenshots.

FLASH: www.vjaswift.com

HQ QUICKTIME: www.vjaswift.com

Also, just to give you more info about what's in the video, I cover remuxing using both mpegstreamclip and quicktime. I considered talking about using ffmpeg for remuxing, which is actually easier, faster and more easily explained, but no one uses ffmpeg anyway.

Please check out the remux tutorial and let me know what you think.

Thanks, Aaron.
Betow 4:48 PM - 3 September, 2009
Im sure I will not be the last to say this, but A-Swift, thank you so much for all your help.
skinnyguy 7:07 PM - 3 September, 2009
mahalo
DJ SHY 7:39 PM - 3 September, 2009
always helpin out man....thanks!!! love the production..
DJMuErTe 8:52 PM - 3 September, 2009
Wow great video =) thank you!!!
a-swift 9:23 PM - 3 September, 2009
It's actually posted on vimeo too. The vimeo quality is awesome, better than flash but less awesome than the full HQ version. The vimeo site also allows full download of the HQ Quicktime if you want.

Thanks for checking it out, for those of you who have already.
Kenny Q 9:42 PM - 3 September, 2009
Thanks
D-Twizzle 7:21 AM - 4 September, 2009
thanks for sharing, love the HD footage.
almost looked like an apple commercial with the white background in the beginning.
a-swift 5:33 PM - 4 September, 2009
Quote:
thanks for sharing, love the HD footage.
almost looked like an apple commercial with the white background in the beginning.

I actually had the idea to composite all kinds of stuff back there but in the end, I went with stark white to reduce the amount of detail and make for the absolute smallest file size. Those plain white backgrounds compress very well, and also the application screenshots compress very well too.
djchrischip 6:30 PM - 5 September, 2009
i am def going to check this out later on... thanks swift...
Been meaning to try to start audio editing and video editing... will start after i complete my music/ video library double deleting say in 3 months or so
VJ Elite 8:24 PM - 5 September, 2009
I have been quiet for months now but BIG UPS to A-Swift...A couple lessons from you and now I am shooting videos for the biggest Jamaican reggae artistes right now and building crazy video remixes. Keep up the good work and I wish you all the best.
a-swift 10:48 PM - 5 September, 2009
thx elite
NLS666 1:50 PM - 6 September, 2009
Right on time! I am just about to start redoing some audio.
Thanks a lot for the vid!

By the way, for those who have Final Cut Studio: if you want to put in a new audio track but it doesn't align wel with the original (FCP only allows frame by frame editing, no sample accuracy) here's the solution:

- open up the new audio in Soundtrack Pro
- insert silence at the beginning
- choose how much samples you want to insert, this will be hit or miss
- go back to fcp to check if the audio aligns, if not, insert some more/less silence...

Greetz,
NLS
eye357 6:30 PM - 6 September, 2009
what a philanthropist u a good dude A...sent u a file as a gift. peace..
a-swift 8:49 PM - 6 September, 2009
The file has 20 views on Vimeo!!! Pretty funny how much time I put into making a file to be viewed by a handful of people. It's cool though, I'll keep posting a link to it everytime someone brings up anything to do with re-muxing.

I also failed to mention one of the major reasons you would want to re-mux, low audio level! De-mux, normalize audio and remux is pretty common thing to do. I ran into some videos last night while playing with extremely low levels and it made me think about this use case.

Anyway, the iPhone compatible link is now up too. I think more people with iPhones will be able to use this.

Here you go:

files.me.com
nate_nasty 10:22 PM - 6 September, 2009
Thanks for the videos A-Swift
Question: I can't remember if it was the remux video or the FCP live chat video but you mentioned the new release of final cut studio 3. I am looking to purchase Final cut and I don't see a Final Cut Studio 3. All I see is FCP Pro and Final Cut express. I am looking to do some editing and stretching, do i need to get Final Cut Pro for $999 or is there a cheaper solution? Thanks for you help!!!
Kenny Q 11:24 PM - 6 September, 2009
Swift,
Thanks for the video.
Can you do a video on making kool, animated logos with Apple Motion next?

Thanks,
Kenny Q
DJPNUT 12:02 AM - 7 September, 2009
Muchas Gracias for the Knowledge A-Swift
Joshua Carl 3:04 AM - 7 September, 2009
great man...
makes me want to get a mbp even faster,
Im basically doin the same thing with vegas, all by "eye"

I jst wish I could render out of vegas perfectly.
I still do an uncompressed avi (huuuge file) and drop it into mediacoder.
a-swift 7:40 PM - 7 September, 2009
Quote:
Thanks for the videos A-Swift
Question: I can't remember if it was the remux video or the FCP live chat video but you mentioned the new release of final cut studio 3. I am looking to purchase Final cut and I don't see a Final Cut Studio 3. All I see is FCP Pro and Final Cut express. I am looking to do some editing and stretching, do i need to get Final Cut Pro for $999 or is there a cheaper solution? Thanks for you help!!!

Final Cut Studio 3 is at Frys, Microcenter, Apple Store in person and online. You can probably even get it at best buy. I got mine from the apple store in the mall.

Here's the link at the apple store online:

store.apple.com

They also dropped the price to $999. I paid $1200 for FCP Studio 2.
a-swift 7:41 PM - 7 September, 2009
Quote:
Swift,
Thanks for the video.

Thanks,
Kenny Q

Funny you should say that. This was next on my list.
Kenny Q 8:02 PM - 7 September, 2009

Thanks,
Kenny Q
dj-jv 9:23 PM - 7 September, 2009
Thanks for the video
D-Twizzle 10:34 PM - 7 September, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Swift,
Thanks for the video.

Thanks,
Kenny Q

I'd wait until you get a $1000 in your donation bucket first, gotta help pay off all your hd gear.
Kenny Q 11:36 PM - 7 September, 2009
Quote:

I'd wait until you get a $500 in your donation bucket first, gotta help pay off all your hd gear.

I agree with Twizzle on that one.
I have no problem making a donation. I just can't do it this week.

Twizz,
When are you going to put together some (VJ orientated) Vegas tutorials?

- Kenny Q
djdragon 1:38 AM - 8 September, 2009
Quote:

FLASH: www.vjaswift.com

HQ QUICKTIME: www.vjaswift.com.

Gold star for you! Great job on the tutorials.
DJ Dan-E 4:55 AM - 8 September, 2009
Great video, like always helping others out! Maybe you can start picking up sponsorship sporting the logos in your videos!
PopRoXxX 3:31 PM - 8 September, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Swift,
Thanks for the video.

Thanks,
Kenny Q

Sweetness!! +1000
Joshua Carl 3:42 PM - 8 September, 2009
but whos gonna do the ILL VEGAS VIDEO!!!

(until I get my mbp, then i wont care...hahahaha)
a-swift 5:16 PM - 8 September, 2009
I was just looking over the sticky threads in the VSL forums. I think BOTH of my tutorials are at least as informative as the sticky threads. I think I should get a spot in the sticky section.

Who else thinks so?
Joshua Carl 5:23 PM - 8 September, 2009
I do.
a-swift 5:34 PM - 8 September, 2009
someone needs to report the link post I just did to bring it to the attention of the mods. maybe they'll promote the thread. everyone needs to report it!
dj_paulsmooth 5:58 PM - 8 September, 2009
although i already have that basic understanding of remuxing, i still appreciate this video... felt like i was watching a documentary on the DJHD channel (no such channel yet lol)... very professionally done. thanks a-swift.

BTW: i hope the mods here do promote this video right on the home page. very helpful especially for new vsl guys.
PopRoXxX 7:02 PM - 8 September, 2009
yes it is very informational.

+1 for A-Swift in the Sticky Section!
djbigboy 8:37 PM - 8 September, 2009
Thanks for the video A swift- now all I need is a step by step video like this for "editing in premiere"...
KIZ-ONE 6:41 PM - 9 September, 2009
Nice, now if i could ust afford FCP. :-) But the tips are great even for me as i use sony vegas. thanks for the vid swift.
a-swift 10:45 PM - 9 September, 2009
A tutorial recap

Tutorial #1 (The FCP Sessions)
www.vjaswift.com

Tutorial #2 (A very quick time-remapping tutorial)
www.vjaswift.com

Tutorial #3 (All about remuxing)
www.vjaswift.com
a-swift 11:27 PM - 9 September, 2009
also it should be noted that in #2, this is not useful at all with FCP Studio 3. time remapping is not needed with FCP Studio 3. just drag your time remapping!
nate_nasty 9:59 PM - 12 September, 2009
Just bought FCP!!!! (ouch say the wallet)

Holly cow...48.8GB needed to install :(

A good way to spend a rainy day!!!
a-swift 1:51 AM - 14 September, 2009
Quote:
Just bought FCP!!!! (ouch say the wallet)

A good way to spend a rainy day!!!

yeah, i don't know what irks me more,.. how expensive it is or how much disk space it takes up. my computers have 500GB drives but it so hard to fit just the applications on my systems, even before data, music, documents and stuff.

Logic, FCP, CS3 and Office and dang, I'm out of disk space already!
Joshua Carl 2:16 AM - 14 September, 2009
yeah... almost a G for that shit...unreal!
NLS666 5:38 PM - 14 September, 2009
Quote:

There is one way that saves up a lot of space: if you don't need all the apple loops ( i guess it's about 20gig, don't install them.
Same goes for Logic & garageband. When I reinstalled macosx on my mbp I didn't install garageband & apple loops and it saved 2-3 gigs. Logic & FCP/Soundtrack share (I think) the same gigantic apple loop library and, well, if like me you sample your stuff yourself, or you use live recordings or use vst instruments you don't need all those loops.

Greetz,
NLS
a-swift 5:58 PM - 14 September, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

There is one way that saves up a lot of space: if you don't need all the apple loops ( i guess it's about 20gig, don't install them.
Same goes for Logic & garageband. When I reinstalled macosx on my mbp I didn't install garageband & apple loops and it saved 2-3 gigs. Logic & FCP/Soundtrack share (I think) the same gigantic apple loop library and, well, if like me you sample your stuff yourself, or you use live recordings or use vst instruments you don't need all those loops.

Greetz,
NLS

I do a lot of stuff that needs original and royalty free music beds, like this tutorial! Without the FCP content installed, everytime I do a project, I have to hunt around for my sample library.

Sucks for space consumption but if I'm on the road and I don't have my samples, it's a pain. 90% of these tutorials are made when I'm on the road. The timewarp tutorial was produced 100% in Hawaii with only my mbp in my carry on (used built in webcam). This remux tutorial was made mostly at the Westin St. Francis at Union Square in San Francisco (dig the shiny red drapes behind me). Although the intro parts were made in my kitchen with a greenscreen.

It really helps roughing these things together when you have the content with you.

If you're only doing remix and sampling tracks though, you probably don't need all the content. I'd say. you'll save even more than the 20GB.
NLS666 8:20 PM - 14 September, 2009
Yeah, if you need them it sure is a big package. Now for those who need the loops but also need the extra space on their harddisk, there's another option: moving the apple loop library to an external harddisk. There are posts on the Apple Discussion forum that tell you how to do it properly. That's what I did at first (I have only 200 gigs HD in my MBP), however after a while I decided I didn't need the loops at all and I erased them from the external disk as well.
a-swift 8:38 PM - 14 September, 2009
We need more links to songs that were produced with stock
apple loops like the Umbrella drums and the entire Love In This Club arrangement. Funny how I hear these stock apple sounds being used everywhere.

Last week I shot a video with a camera rigged to
my bicycle. The music bed I used for that video was from the stock library and I was cracking up 2 days later when fox news used the same music for their show intro.

I was like "huh, I guess fox news ugraded to fc studio 3 also". Lol.
NLS666 12:00 AM - 15 September, 2009
Haha, I really didn't even know about those two songs being apple loops!
Now, ok, the Umbrella drums is a killer break and would be a shame not to use it, but man, that Love In this club is such a cheap production...

Watchwww.youtube.com
a-swift 12:53 AM - 15 September, 2009
most of the apple loops you find in songs are pretty hacked up and you don't recognize them but "love in this club",.. man. talk about a zero production track.

funny thing is, polow said he didn't use apple loops to make it. apparently the library he uses has some of the same sounds.
Joshua Carl 1:03 AM - 15 September, 2009
Quote:
most of the apple loops you find in songs are pretty hacked up and you don't recognize them but "love in this club",.. man. talk about a zero production track.

funny thing is, polow said he didn't use apple loops to make it. apparently the library he uses has some of the same sounds.

<-- COMES IN LIKE JOE WILSON

LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIAR~!!!
a-swift 4:33 AM - 15 September, 2009
blahahaha
dj vegas 7:44 AM - 15 September, 2009
wooow man i just mix video and have no idea what vob acc exct stands for is there a school for this stuff? Im shure i could teach my self but it would be nice to take this at a college,,,
dj vegas 7:50 AM - 15 September, 2009
shit bro just saw the first tutorial the hell with the college you need to have a week long school in miami, nyc any where i would pay to go just to learn the basics 8-bar edits exct!! thanks so much bro!!!!
a-swift 3:46 PM - 15 September, 2009
Quote:
wooow man i just mix video and have no idea what vob acc exct stands for is there a school for this stuff? Im shure i could teach my self but it would be nice to take this at a college,,,

the swift school of video mixing is about as close as you'll get.
dj vegas 3:15 AM - 18 September, 2009
yo swift has that guy came out with the ripping program for promo only yet?
a-swift 4:11 AM - 18 September, 2009
Quote:
yo swift has that guy came out with the ripping program for promo only yet?

nik39 is officially in hiding now, along with his ripping application
a-swift 9:28 PM - 29 September, 2009
Just filmed a new tutorial. Stay tuned!
RaveDave 9:33 PM - 29 September, 2009
a-swift - props as usual :) Cant wait for the next one.
PopRoXxX 9:37 PM - 29 September, 2009
Quote:
Just filmed a new tutorial. Stay tuned!

Suh-Weet!
D-Twizzle 10:07 PM - 29 September, 2009
get the paypal donation link posted up first
a-swift 10:37 PM - 29 September, 2009
Quote:
get the paypal donation link posted up first

don't play. i'm really putting up a paypal link this time for cats who are feeling generous.

some people probably have an appreciation for how long these things take to make.
Kenny Q 2:14 AM - 30 September, 2009
Swift,

I have no problem donating.
I'm going to order Apple Pro Training Series books for FCP & DVDSP and try to finish a few promo videos myself.
I've asked several people and no one has time.
Thanks for your help,
Kenny Q
a-swift 7:07 PM - 1 October, 2009
Had some issues with COLOR when doing color correction on the clips. Had to to redo the color correction. Slowed me down a bit. I've got my final version encoding in compressor right now, output to ProRes422-HQ and I'll use ffmpeg (visualHub) to webify it. Forget trying to make an H.264 in Compressor.

The sequence is under 40 minutes long, outputing HD (1280x720) and my MBP says a little under 6 hours to encode. Yeah, six hours to encode 40 minutes of video with a very fast codec. H.264 would be like 2 days.

FML. I need faster computers. Please contribute to the paypal link!
NLS666 7:18 PM - 1 October, 2009
Looking forward to it!

What will it be about? De-interlacing and pulldown? Working with Motion? Or something else?
a-swift 7:36 PM - 1 October, 2009
Quote:
Looking forward to it!

What will it be about? De-interlacing and pulldown? Working with Motion? Or something else?

It's 3 mini tutorials with Motion. All three are how to get your DJ Logo name on top of your video edits in FCP (a pretty common use case for even trying motion). 1 is a straightforword Logo with alpha, exported to a quicktime file, drop it right in the fcp timeline. 2. is using the master template functionality to publish the logo to fcp from motion (no export or rendering) and being able to modify the logo parameters from within fcp. 3. is using the audio parameter linking to make the logo "bump" to the music.
a-swift 7:38 PM - 1 October, 2009
I was working on a "post" for the forum entitled "3:2 pulldown, de-interlacing, what's the difference and why should I care". I got as far as the title and got wrapped up in other stuff. I may finish it though. i think a lot of people are missing it when it comes to this topic.
nate_nasty 4:33 PM - 4 October, 2009
A-Swift or anybody I need some help.

I am trying to do some time stretching in FCP and having a problem. What I did was make a short 3 song mix (just MP3) and now I want to load it into FCP and add some video to it. On my timeline I have a 1 sec slug, the MP3 mix and my first video. When I try to play it in the canvas (the right screen) it beep and says needs rendering. Also when I load my video in to the timeline I get a general error and hen it says no memory. Also above my timeline I have red lines across the top, I never saw these on your timeline on your tutorial.
I am using a MBP which is only used for this and serato and still had plenty of HD memory and I thought should still have plenty of RAM (it came with 2GB).
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
a-swift 5:33 PM - 4 October, 2009
Quote:
A-Swift or anybody I need some help.

I am trying to do some time stretching in FCP and having a problem. What I did was make a short 3 song mix (just MP3) and now I want to load it into FCP and add some video to it. On my timeline I have a 1 sec slug, the MP3 mix and my first video. When I try to play it in the canvas (the right screen) it beep and says needs rendering. Also when I load my video in to the timeline I get a general error and hen it says no memory. Also above my timeline I have red lines across the top, I never saw these on your timeline on your tutorial.
I am using a MBP which is only used for this and serato and still had plenty of HD memory and I thought should still have plenty of RAM (it came with 2GB).
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

mp3 audio can't be played in realtime on the FCP timeline. it must be rendered (that's what the red line means). non-rendered audio will beep. open the mp3 in quicktime and export it to AIFF audio. this will not require rendering.

for your video file, what format is it in? i have a feeling it's an AVI file. try converting it before you put it on the finalcut timeline.

let me know if you have problems still, and I'll help figure it out with you.
nate_nasty 6:19 PM - 4 October, 2009
Thanks for the quick response A-Swift.

I exported the mp3 to AIFF and loaded it into FCP and it did the trick! no more red lines.

The video is still not working, all my videos are in MP4 format. I can import them into FCP fine, then when I put it into the left canvas it still says general error. Do I still need to covert them into another format?
a-swift 6:31 PM - 4 October, 2009
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response A-Swift.

I exported the mp3 to AIFF and loaded it into FCP and it did the trick! no more red lines.

The video is still not working, all my videos are in MP4 format. I can import them into FCP fine, then when I put it into the left canvas it still says general error. Do I still need to covert them into another format?

there is no way to know if your mp4 was made with compatible options. there are literally hundreds of thousands of combinations of options you can create an mp4 with. mp4 is just a container format, it supports many different codecs, including H.264, Divx, etc. Each codec also has a bewildering number of options that can be applied.

Unless you are creating the mp4 yourself, then you have no way of knowing how it was created and if it were created by strictly adhering to any particular encoding profile. If it were created without adhering to a profile, it may or may not work.

Since you can't be sure, just export it to a supported format before you take it into FCP.
PopRoXxX 6:44 PM - 4 October, 2009
Hey Swift. I noticed in your Motion tutorial you used Apple ProRes 4444 as your codec. Is this what you convert to all the time including edit vids/movies? And I do not have this codec but I do have Apple ProRes 422 & Apple ProRes 422 (HD). Are these comparible to yours? Or should I just choose the "Uncompressed" codec? (I have 2 bit rate options for the uncompressed codec).
NLS666 6:54 PM - 4 October, 2009
Quote:
Hey Swift. I noticed in your Motion tutorial you used Apple ProRes 4444 as your codec. Is this what you convert to all the time including edit vids/movies? And I do not have this codec but I do have Apple ProRes 422 & Apple ProRes 422 (HD). Are these comparible to yours? Or should I just choose the "Uncompressed" codec? (I have 2 bit rate options for the uncompressed codec).

Sorry to jump in on this, but here's some very interesting and well explained info on the Prores family:
images.apple.com

I haven't had time to read it all, but if I understand it correctly, Prores 4444 is the only Prores codec that supports the alpha channel. Which makes it ideal to work with motion/compositing.

These new Prores codecs come with FCS3.
NLS666 6:56 PM - 4 October, 2009
Oh, and here are the graphs with data rates: www.apple.com
nate_nasty 7:57 PM - 4 October, 2009
Quote:

there is no way to know if your mp4 was made with compatible options. there are literally hundreds of thousands of combinations of options you can create an mp4 with. mp4 is just a container format, it supports many different codecs, including H.264, Divx, etc. Each codec also has a bewildering number of options that can be applied.

Unless you are creating the mp4 yourself, then you have no way of knowing how it was created and if it were created by strictly adhering to any particular encoding profile. If it were created without adhering to a profile, it may or may not work.

Since you can't be sure, just export it to a supported format before you take it into FCP.

Hey A-Swift

i exported the current mp4 video to another mp4 video using QT and renamed it. It works now, no more error message.

Now the only problem is it makes me render the project to watch what I have done so far. For example, I have the 3 song mix in there and 2 videos so far and if I try to watch what i have done so far in the right canvas it will play the music but show a unrendered blue screen. When I render it everything work properly. Any suggestions?

Also where is it saving these rendered files?

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!!!
a-swift 11:34 PM - 4 October, 2009
Quote:

Now the only problem is it makes me render the project to watch what I have done so far.

export to prores422 or uncompressed.
a-swift 11:36 PM - 4 October, 2009
Quote:

ProRes-4444 ships with Final Cut Studio 3. Before it was available, I used Apple's Animation codec, which also supports alpha channel.

Even better than exporting at all though,.. USE MASTER TEMPLATE. Or just put the raw motion project file right on the timeline. Using either of these methods does not need an intermediate file. Your Motion work will be rendered in highest quality on output.
PopRoXxX 1:17 PM - 5 October, 2009
ok cool. i was also talking about when i need to convert and mp4 video to "(enter best codec here)" either use apple animation or apple prores 422? or just stay with uncompressed 8bit or 10bit?
a-swift 2:56 PM - 5 October, 2009
Quote:
ok cool. i was also talking about when i need to convert and mp4 video to "(enter best codec here)" either use apple animation or apple prores 422? or just stay with uncompressed 8bit or 10bit?

oh well. since VSL likes mp4, make that your final output file. Or better yet, an H.264 Quicktime mov.
PopRoXxX 3:11 PM - 5 October, 2009
i understand that. i was meaning if i needed to edit in FCP.
a-swift 3:25 PM - 5 October, 2009
Quote:
i understand that. i was meaning if i needed to edit in FCP.

oh, i prefer editing uncompressed or ProRes 422 in FCP. you can use DVCPRO, XDCam or any of the other codecs but they will cause pretty noticeable quality loss.
PopRoXxX 5:44 PM - 5 October, 2009
gotcha. i'm trying the ProRes 422 HD out right now. Thanks for the input. There's a lot more to video than audio. Lol!
DJMark 1:33 AM - 29 December, 2011
I've found that, if deinterlacing has to be used on the source video, that ProRes 4444 is far better than 422.

With 422 I'd often see some interlacing "residue" in the chroma (particularly on reds)...didn't matter what deinterlacing method was used. ProRes 4444 eliminates that. File size is a bit bigger when using 4444, but still way less than uncompressed.
DJMark 1:41 AM - 29 December, 2011
It's been awhile since I watched a-swift's video so I don't know whether he's in agreement with me on this point or not...

My experience tells me: when replacing audio that's at a slightly different speed than what was originally in the video, it's better to varispeed the replacement audio to match the video. NOT messing with the speed of the video.

That avoids degrading the video with either frame-blending (enabled by default in FCP), or having dropped or duped frames (if you turn frame-blending off).

Obviously syncing a 128bpm dance remix of a hip hop or R&B song that was originally at a much lower BPM is an entirely different matter.
djpuma_gemini 2:43 AM - 29 December, 2011
I always adjust the video vs the audio.
Not sure what's correct but I'd rather have a perfect audio track, which everyone hears, vs a slightly stretched video.
DJMark 5:32 AM - 29 December, 2011
Quote:
Not sure what's correct but I'd rather have a perfect audio track, which everyone hears, vs a slightly stretched video.

The thing is, if the speed adjustment is within one percent (usually it's way less, especially with modern full digital productions), the speed difference on the audio will be un-noticeable. As long as you do a simple speed change without time-compression.

But even with that minor amount of change, you'll still drop or duplicate video frames (or worse, frame-blend the whole video if you leave that default FCP setting on)... I started out doing things that way, but quickly realized the videos should look better than they did.

And I'm pretty picky about audio quality...(which is why my initial instinct was to change speed on the video for "audio replacement").
a-swift 7:45 PM - 23 January, 2012
Quote:

Hey what's up Puma. This remux method was obviously intended for doing swap-outs of clean audio for explicit audio or vice versa. It's not really meant for speed/length changes.

If I need speed changes, I do a full edit, not a remux.
Culprit 7:15 AM - 24 January, 2012
welcome back!
djpuma_gemini 6:10 PM - 24 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Hey what's up Puma. This remux method was obviously intended for doing swap-outs of clean audio for explicit audio or vice versa. It's not really meant for speed/length changes.

If I need speed changes, I do a full edit, not a remux.

I know that Swifty, I think someone mentioned that when they edit they stretch the audio and not the video.
I've always done the opposite.
And yes, welcome back to the forums.
DJMark 12:08 AM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:
I think someone mentioned that when they edit they stretch the audio and not the video.

I do not "stretch" the audio, I simply varispeed it.

If there's less than one percent change needed to match replacement audio to a video (usually it's a lot less than that), I think that's way preferable to making a change in the video that will result in dropped/dupe frames (or, god forbid, frame-blending).
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:07 PM - 13 May, 2012
Ok so how do you do about doing MP4 files as in mpegstream clip you can not demux it is greyed out. Was hoping i could change the audio on mp4s easy as in this guide??? Any insite?
D-Raze the SoulJunkie 3:21 PM - 27 July, 2012
A-Swift, thank you very much for the tutorial, it is still very useful even it's been almost 3 years now!
Great job!