Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

my first vestax vci 300 freeze

DJCheLu 8:57 AM - 5 October, 2008
I have played numerous occasions with the beta 1.04 release and done fine no problems at all. But today i did a small family get together and during the first 5 min of play the vestax froze on me. The screen still worked perfect but the unit didnt respond. Luckily no one was there yet so i just restarted the unit and tried again. 5 minutes into it froze again. There was a stutter of the sound and then nothing, but the screen still functioned as normal just no response from the unit.

I had used 1.0.4 beta for about 4 gigs prior with no issues at all, actually i used it the night before for 5 hours and no problem. All of a sudden it freezes and im not sure why.

I reverted to 1.0.3 final and finished out the night, but im confused why would it work perfectly for so long and then freeze twice.......

Anyways just my update.
Serato
Pene 9:20 PM - 5 October, 2008
Hi DJCheLu,
was there anything different about your setup compared to your previous gigs?
what are the specs of your computer?
have you seen this again since then?
DJCheLu 7:42 AM - 6 October, 2008
Intel Core DUO T2350 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
Windows XP Home (service pack 3)
15.4" Wide Screen XGA Display
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 at 533MHz, 2x1GB G Skills
160GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive All music on external HD managed by itunes
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW)
256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 TurboCache
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
6-cell Lithium Ion Battery

I didnt do anything differently with my laptop, i was running my vestax into a third channel on another mixer instead of into my powered speakers like always, but that is the only difference.

I will mess around with it for a few hours today and see if it repeats.
Serato
Pene 9:06 PM - 6 October, 2008
Given that it's a hardware problem I guess maybe you just managed to shake it the right way or something? In my experience hardware issues like this can be a bit iffy. I recommend you get in contact with Vestax about the problem :)

But please do let us know if you get it to do it again and how things turn out.
DJCheLu 5:48 PM - 13 October, 2008
Update, i did a three hour gig and no problems at all. Then i did a 5 hour gig and towards the end of the night Vestax froze and Itch Kept playing, sound was still coming out as well but i could not do anything with Itch.

When it crashed i had put in a cd and i was dragging one track after another to the left deck to preview them. After 10 seconds of previewing i moved on to the next track. By the 7 track everything froze. Im going to try and replicate the freeze again today doing the same thing.

Actually when it froze the first time i was also dragging and dropping tracks very fast to preview, but these tracks were in my library but many didnt have over views built.

Is there over view building on the fly causing theses crashes??
Serato
Pene 9:28 PM - 13 October, 2008
When you say Vestax froze, you mean that you could still control ITCH with the keyboard etc but not with the controller?

Building overviews on the fly does result in more CPU load, but it shouldn't really crash ITCH and it definitely shouldn't be able to crash the VCI-300.
Serato
Dylan W 10:55 PM - 13 October, 2008
Hi DJ CheLu,

There is a problem we have seen with some VCI 300 units where they will freeze, ITCH continues on but the VCI no longer sends data to the computer. This problem can be triggered by electrical interference which may explain why your unit would run fine for hours on one occasion and then another time have this freezing issue. You might find running your system off a different power point might help, or switching to battery power or a power supply.

If you consistently see this problem it is most likely a hardware fault and I would suggest speaking to Vestax about getting your unit replaced.

Thanks
Dylan.

Quote:

The contact points for Vestax support are

------------------------------------------------------------
1) Unites States (N.America)
Vestax Corporation USA
ATTN: Charles Akira Ono
800 S.Pacific Coast Highway Suite 8-187
Redondo Beach, CA
USA
tel: +1-323-230-7634
fax: +1-323-230-8646
email: charles@vestax.jp

2) Europe
Vestax Service Europe
ATTN: Gerfried Fischer
Rheinstr. 213
53332 Bornheim
Germany
Tel. +492222 952372
Fax +492222 952374
email: Vestaxde@aol.com

3) Japan (Asia/Oceania)
Vestax Corporation
ATTN: Takaki Tarama
1-18-6 Wakabayashi, Setagaya- Ku
Tokyo
Japan 154-0023
Telephone: +81. 03.3412.7011
Fax: +81. 03.3412.7013
email: tarama@vestaxjp and charles@vestax.jp

DJCheLu 8:21 PM - 15 October, 2008
Well i did some more testing.

With 1.0.4 Beta i put in a cd and dragged track after track to the right deck one after another. Around the 5 track it froze and the 11 track it froze. Out of 5 tries it froze three times. I got a windows error stating that itch had encountered a problem and needed to close.

I did the same exact thing with 1.0.3 final and couldn't get it to freeze out of 5 tries.

I alternated these each while testing doing 1.0.3 then doing 1.0.4 then back etc. I have no idea what is causing it but it looks like i will be using 1.0.3 final until it decides to randomly freeze on me during this version as well.

I have three gigs this week i will be using the vci300 for so i will post back about what i encounter, i will only be using 1.0.3 final though.
Serato
Pene 9:33 PM - 15 October, 2008
Quote:
When you say Vestax froze, do you mean that you could still control ITCH with the keyboard etc but not with the controller?

Also, when it freezes do you have to restart ITCH to get things going again or is it enough to just unplug and replug the VCI-300?
Frankie Falcione 10:06 PM - 15 October, 2008
I purchased a VCI 300 thinking two great companies Serato and Vestax couldn't get it wrong! Well I was completely wrong!

I received my unit, set it up and within 30 seconds the unit froze. I called tech support and they confirmed all the settings. I re-booted and seconds later, it Froze! The data light turns solid red and all controls buttons on the VCI blink then turn solid. The internal wiring is not solid, if I slightly tap the unit all lights blink and it loses power. It's obvious that I'm not the only one experiencing the issue.

The day I received my unit, I had to drive 18 miles to drop it off to a service center for Vestax. After Two weeks the service center informed me they sent the unit to Japan (Vestax's headquarters) because the unit was irrepairable. One month later, I do not have a unit and i'm out $899.00!

I plan on returning the unit as soon as I receive a new one, after reading all the negative reviews on Serato's forum. I believe Vestax should recall all the VCI 300's and come back to the market with a quality product that we the Professional DJ's demand as we are only as good as our equipment!

DO NO RECOMMEND THIS UNIT TO ANYONE!

Frankie Falcione
Frankie Falcione 10:07 PM - 15 October, 2008
When I say it Freezes, the VCI 300 UNIT FREEZES not the software. The song continues to run on the Software until it finishes.
Serato
Dylan W 1:13 AM - 16 October, 2008
Hi Frankie,

We will work with you to resolve this issue as best we can, you having a good time with a Serato and Vestax product is both companies top priority.

You seemed to have posted this same info in many places on the forum.
I have responded in your help request discussion to help you resolve this problem.

serato.com

Thanks
Dylan.

polocorp 3:45 PM - 20 October, 2008
Quote:
When I say it Freezes, the VCI 300 UNIT FREEZES not the software. The song continues to run on the Software until it finishes.

so the software IS unresponsive, but keeps playing the track right... ? Sounds like another topic.

Your hardware is probably faulty, I think you should seek help with the VESTAX support. More details on thsi topic :
www.serato.com
cMo 6:44 PM - 20 October, 2008
Yes, it's obviously the hardware. I already returned mine!
DJCheLu 7:48 PM - 20 October, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

When you say Vestax froze, do you mean that you could still control ITCH with the keyboard etc but not with the controller?

Also, when it freezes do you have to restart ITCH to get things going again or is it enough to just unplug and replug the VCI-300?

No cannot control Itch with the keyboard, it has to be restarted entirely because windows received an error.
Serato
Pene 10:09 PM - 20 October, 2008
Ok DJCheLu, if ITCH can't be controlled by the keyboard either then it is probably not just the hardware issue...
What error do you get from windows?
Can you confirm that this only happens with 1.04 public beta and not 1.03?
Does it only seem to happen on a track load? What file type are you using?
ToneDef 10:13 PM - 20 October, 2008
Iam still waiting for my VCI 300 from Westend Dj in London.
All the reports iam reading scares the crap out of me :(
This is not good Serato and Vestax
Serato
Dylan W 2:50 AM - 21 October, 2008
Hey ToneDef,

We seen this hardware issue with a VERY small number of VCI units and only from from the very first production run. We are working with Vestax to help the small number of customers this has happened to and steps have been taken to ensure there will be no problems on future production runs. Reading the help requests on the forum probably gives the wrong impression in this regard, all the people that are having problems are in one place. The general feedback we are getting on the VCI is awesome, it's a really cool gadget. I hope you get yours and are up and running soon.

Thanks
Dylan.

Toronto 4:54 PM - 19 December, 2008
I just picked up my Vestax VCI-300 here in Toronto, and I just used it at my gig yesterday, and it was embarrasing all the problems it gave me while I was performing live. This this will ruin your reputation. Here are all the problems it gave me:

1.) Constant freezing issue as others in the forum have experienced. Vestax would stop responding but Itch would keep playing.

2.) Constant clicking noise coming from the speakers. It did not interfere with the music, but when I had the mic plugged in, it kept cutting off because of the clicking, it almost seemed as if my voice was robotic. Then I plugged the mic directly into the powered speaker and it was just fine, so it was a hardware problem with the Vestax, not a problem with the spekers.

After the Vestax froze on me for a second time, I swtiched back to my Numark equipment and it was smooth sailing as usual. I just returned the VCI-300 to the store this morning for a refund, I'm sticking with Numark.
freshtodeath 3:39 PM - 20 December, 2008
Ouch - ALOT of horror stories in here. I am very surprised both companies let it come to this point.
djcerla 5:44 PM - 20 December, 2008
Very, very stable here, on a DEDICATED MacBook Aluminium.
Amazingly stable.

BTW,

if you are PRO you need a system 100% dedicated to your DJ app.
No games, no Internet, no DIGI extensions, nothing else.

If this is not your situation, try with a fresh system before complaining.

CDJ's are not running Quake, usually, that's why they run just fine.
pdang 7:22 PM - 20 December, 2008
Planning on buying VCI-300 but after reading this in addition to the PSSL.com reviews (in which I actually phoned and they had claimed that fresh un-defected units are now in stock - big batch as of December 17th 2008) I'm still a little reluctant!..

Can more of you share successful setups like BTW with perhaps some unit serial numbers or date-of-purchase?. Also, if it's an electrical problem, this might lead to HUGE traveling issues as in the UK, 210V and Europe 220V may further impact the units reliability..? Any answers Vestax???

Also, I'm a little suspicious that there are more units defective than what's claimed on the Vestax site. If any of you are also from Japan, perhaps you can share if there's any returned units there?. OR perhaps anywhere for that matter..?

I'm planning on taking two units back to Norway since Vestax distribution is not so hot there but regardless, the concept behind this unit MUST be reliable if one is to take it anywhere around the world. Having read so much bad reports, I'd NEVER travel with this unit unless VESTAX and SERATO garentees that this unit is 110% reliable - NO QUESTIONS ASKED.. A professional DJ's reputation should NOT fall back on defected gear. Perhaps its worth lugging your TTM-57 and 2 1200's around rather than losing your rep and your gigs.. I thought Vestax was better than Numark?? OUCH!!

DANG IT!.
freshtodeath 9:21 PM - 20 December, 2008
Quote:
I thought Vestax was better than Numark?? OUCH!!

DANG IT!.

Agreed- I can say that Rane has never put out a cheap unreliable piece. Vestax has always held a strong rep when it came to equipment so its a real bummer that this is happening. I am guessing not enough beta testing went into the VCI-300- they jumped the gun on this one.
Dj Beware 8:36 AM - 21 December, 2008
Quote:

Can more of you share successful setups like BTW with perhaps some unit serial numbers or date-of-purchase?. Also, if it's an electrical problem, this might lead to HUGE traveling issues as in the UK, 210V and Europe 220V may further impact the units reliability..? Any answers Vestax???

I have already been in the US, South America, Egypt, Spain and Morroco with my VCI-300, I have had no issues with power. However, I always carry my own power bar that provides clean stable power to my MacBook Pro, and external HD, which I plug into the house power weather 110 or 220. I would say that if your having issues with power you need to make sure you have a Good power bar not one from the dollar store. As well I don't use a external power adaptor for the unit, I sure if I did it would be fine though.

After reading a lot of the posts on this site, I think that people are having issues with there computers more than the actual ITCH software, if you don't know how to optimize your computer you should have to have a clean install of the operating system, especially if your going to put your buffer settings really low, look on the net there are a number of websites that show you how to "Optimize" your system for units like the VCI-300. It is an out of box solution, but you need to make sure you have the proper software/hardware setup to compliment the VCI-300 and for that matter any hardware audio based USB device.

Currently I am able to use my setup with my buffer settings at the lowest setting without issue, and that is in Windows using bootcamp or in the Mac OS. and I am using Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Core Duo 2 with 2Gb of RAM.
djcerla 6:12 PM - 21 December, 2008
Quote:
After reading a lot of the posts on this site, I think that people are having issues with there computers more than the actual ITCH software, if you don't know how to optimize your computer you should have to have a clean install of the operating system

+1
Toronto 2:47 PM - 23 December, 2008
If you read my post and other's posts, you'll see that there is no problems at all with ITCH or the computers, ITCH has never stopped working on me, nobody on this forum has had a problem with ITCH or their software, the problem lies with the Vestax hardware which stops responding. Also, the Vestax hardware caused a problem with the speakers due to a constant clicking noise which would interfere with the mic as if your voice was cutting off.

I have my computer optimized for performance and I do not have any other windows open at all when I'm DJ'ing, and I've been DJ'ing with Virtual DJ software for the last 2 years without a single problem at all. So just to reiterate, the problem is not with ITCH because ITCH keeps playing, it's hardware issues with the Vestax VCI-300. After reading DJ Beware's post, it seems he was lucky that he didnt pick up a defective unit. But for a company that is willing to release faulty untested equipment to the market, I dont know if I can trust them ever again. I almost lost 2 other gigs due to the problems I had with Vestax, but luckily when I switched back to my Numark equipment the clients were able to see that the problems were fixed and were caused by the equipment and not by me. Remember, a DJ is only as good as his equipment. Vestax shouldnt have risked the reputation of their clients by releasing defective units into the marketplace.
pdang 8:47 PM - 6 January, 2009
OK, another insight into this mystery is that I was at PSSL and in there showroom, the VCI-300 was a model made from Japan! After purchasing mine, I had noticed that it's made in China! Further consultation with PSSL confirms that there latest shipment was December 15th, 2008. The floor model CANNOT be sold as it "belongs to the vender"!!

There have been MANY Vestax products over the years that have been switched over to "Made in China" from Japan and I am VERY skeptical as to the grade and quality control Vestax has diluted and lost over the years (I've owned many Vestax mixer's and actually returned a PMC-05pro ltd ed. blue mixer I bought while I was in Kyoto Japan because the treble knob and vertical fader was leaky!!!)! DAMN Vestax, what's the matter with you!!!..

To put this to the real test, I've already sent an email to the Vestax rep. and will COMPLETELY test every possible scenario to see if my unit passes. If not, Vestax better have some VERY good answers and a quick return policy!.. Not to mention Numark and/or other competing companies will enjoy reading about this very informative forum.

DANG.IT.ALL
Serato
Zeb 10:28 PM - 6 January, 2009
pdang,
There are not many companies not doing there mass production runs in China, China has had a reputation for poor standards in the past which is no longer justified, I would say China has some of the best manufacturing facilities in the world now.
I don't think the fact that the VCI300 is made in China should be a concern.
Thanks,
Zeb.
Maskrider 4:45 AM - 9 January, 2009
I'm already thinking of buying VCI-300 after reading all these horror stories, I'm gonna say I'll wait until everything settles.

Might as wel buy some new lights for now.
chaka 6:11 AM - 9 January, 2009
Chelu,

Same here - it was rather bizarre. I should have taken a picture of the unit frozen just to show the details. Im sure i can replicate the issue.

I have several latops, OS, details to check this out - but i want to get to the bottom of this so it can be solved.

This was a controller freeze and really doesnt appear to have anything to do with Itch

This latop setup was;

HP nc6230
2.0 GHZ Intel
1GB RAM
Windows XP SP3
External 1.5TB Seagate Drive (music and serato DB)

I was using the Itch 1.04 beta as well (build 10428)

I have other much faster laptops i will be testing this on as well - but believe the issue lies somewhere between the VCI-300 and Midi/USB I/O

I basically had the same MP3 (buggn track) on both cues and was scratching back and forth - trying to see how fast i could go - while in the middle of scratchn the wheels back and forth fairly radical the controller completely locked up. All the lights on it were frozen in that last position they were in - including the volume meters on the controller (left was green 7 leds lit, and right was 5 lit), left wheel was blue, right was red (the last one i was scratchn on, and the cue buttons were lit, nothing on the entire board was resonsive.

I unplugged and replugged the controller into the USB - still frozen. I rebooted the PC with the controller plugged in - still frozen.

Only after i powered off the VCI-300 completely did it finally get unfrozen. So definatily somethings up with the controller. If i had to guess - because the unit was handling quite a bit of I/O during the scratching - it just couldnt handle it and failed.

I am going to pull out a video cam and film this and see if i can get it to repeat. I hope these units can get firmware updates - because i dont believe this is anything Itch can solve.
fotifo 8:27 AM - 25 January, 2009
Alright people,so yesterday i played in the club and my VCI 300 FROZE.
Itch was still playing but my controller froze I could still press buttons like crates, files, browse.
Other than that i could not scratch or press cue points.
This happen while I was loading the song to the deck. Where the song was already in my library.
So i had to turn the vci OFF and turn it ON after several moment it froze again.
During the 4 hour play i My VCI 300 froze around 10 times or so.
Some happened one after another one some with period of time in between.
And my controller never did that previously I have it for about 3 week now
I think i am gonna take it to the store tomorrow since return policy is 30 days.
If any aswers or solutions please you welcome to write on my email
getwicked2001@yahoo.com
Maskrider 8:32 AM - 25 January, 2009
Are you using the 1.04 update?
DJ WEEK.END 4:42 PM - 25 January, 2009
Yes, I use the 1.04 update. and when it was installed, there were 2 itch symbols on my desktop.
Update? Or 2nd installation?
I played a gig last night and the week before, on both the vci crashed.
Not after 5 tracks, it takes 4 or 5 hours to stretch my nerves. But it crashed.
I think I will go back to the 1.03 version of itch, tha was running without any problems...sometimes for 12 hours without a break.

My System...:
Windows Vista Home Premium,
Intel Core Duo 1,86 Mhz
Ati 256 Graphics...whatever,
3 GB RAM,
300 GB HD,
(Samsung SA-1)

Thanks Vestax Serato for this great piece of DJ-revolution.
Back to Basics,

Chris
djcerla 11:30 AM - 26 January, 2009
Are you using your laptop for other than ITCH?
Or is it a dedicated machine?

If you're pro, I suggest you to look for a used MacBook and use it as a dedicated machine for ITCH. CoreAudio on OSX is very stable.
fotifo 7:01 PM - 28 January, 2009
so people listen to this just a bit earlier i posted about my vci 300 freezing.
So this monday i went to the store and got the new one.
Everything new looks great has diffrent serial numbers after first latter.
so i played the first day at my house and it didn't freeze. And i had played for about more than several hours.
Next day i went to my friends house connected everything together and it froze after playing for 2-3 hours.
This time it froze differently i could press almost all the other buttoms besides loading a new song and jog wheels didnt respond. The volume indicators where frozen too.
So i had to restart vci and it was working again.
I am using the latets serato itch software upgrade.
I have the LATEST Alliuminium MAC BOOK PRO 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. 2GB VIRTUAL MEMORY
RUNNING Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard WITH LATEST UPGRADE.
also i forgot to mantion that i am still NOT using external power supply for Vci -300
and i still HAVENT touched the vactory set sensetive control for jog wheel touch sensor.
Question is do you really think it could be that i need to get external power supply for my VCI-300.
or
Is this software problem and i should try to go back to original version that came on CD?(If i would do that would i loose my preset cue points that i did for almost every other song)
Please help me
thank you
djcerla 12:47 AM - 29 January, 2009
"VIRTUAL MEMORY" sounds very bad to me...
Serato
Zeb 1:33 AM - 29 January, 2009
fotifo,
maybe you could try adjusting the platter sensitivity controls, see if this helps, also if you want to protect yourself from potential problems caused by unclean power, then you should use a power conditioner, this will filter interference like RFI & EMI.
chaka 7:11 PM - 29 January, 2009
Fotifo,

I am finding the freezes i experience are USB related - some avoidable, some are not.

In windows there is a util that is recommended to use for determining USB utilization (RATTV3) - but not sure what the Mac equivelent is.

Have you tried connecting to another laptop?
dj huski 3:07 AM - 31 January, 2009
I just had this happen to me..Im using 1.04..everything just froze on me.. i'ved used my vci numerous times without hiccups.. this is kinda scaring me..what do i do?
chaka 6:38 PM - 31 January, 2009
Quote:
this is kinda scaring me..what do i do?

Run and hide!
fotifo 10:36 PM - 31 January, 2009
I actually didnt try with other loptops
But real reason i think is external power supply
I think usb sucks at sending power and signals.
I am going to get it really soon and see how it goes.
ALSO QUESTION IF I INSTAL ORIGINAL VERSION THAT WAS ON THE CD WOULD IT DELETE ALL THE CUE POINT THAT I HAVE CREATED
ALSO QUESTION IF I INSTAL ORIGINAL VERSION THAT WAS ON THE CD WOULD IT DELETE ALL THE CUE POINT THAT I HAVE CREATED
fotifo 10:38 PM - 31 January, 2009
SORRY FOR POSTING IT 3 TIMES INTERNET F.... uP
Serato
Dylan W 8:07 PM - 1 February, 2009
Hey Fotifo,
If you re-install the old version of ITCH you will not lose any cue points or loops, ITCH stores the cue and loop data inside the MP3 file itself.

However, the old version doesn't sound like its going to solve the problems you are describing and 1.0.4 has many bug fixes so I'd suggest you stick with that.

For all the people in this thread it's probably best to create your own threads in our help area so our support team can help you out with the issues you're having.

serato.com

Cheers.
Dylan.
Dj Nate123 5:35 PM - 1 March, 2009
I was mixing in my garage, making a cd and I was about 50 minutes into it and the VCI-300 froze, both songs kept playing, but I could not control any of the functions on the controller. This is really not good. Using version 1.04. Can you better explain this power concern. Has using an external power source fixed this problem.
Serato
Zeb 9:48 PM - 1 March, 2009
Hey Nate 123,
Can you give us some info on your setup... platform...OS...computer specs, also what format are your music files & do you use "Read iTunes Library"
Another thing that may help if you can remember is, do you know in more detail what you were doing when you lost MIDI control & could you still control Itch with the mouse & keyboard.
Cheers,
Zeb.
Dj Nate123 12:10 PM - 3 March, 2009
It happened again 3 more times while just mixing.
My system I was using at the time: (Itch vers 1.04)
Dell Inspiron E1505
Duo Core (Genuine Intel CPU T2300 @ 1.66Ghz
980MHz 1.99 GB of Ram
WIndows XP Media Center Edition (Service Pack 2)

It just happens at will, doing nothing special when this happens, just mixing.
I think I'd better go back to the older version or please advise what else to do
Dj Nate123 12:21 PM - 3 March, 2009
How can I convert back to the older version, there are no previous versions listed on the download page, I guess I'd better pull out the disk then.
Serato
Zeb 10:57 PM - 3 March, 2009
Dj Nate 123,
This is unlikely because of version 1.0.4 exclusively, this could very well be caused by a contaminated power source.
I would always recommend to Dj's that they use a power conditioner when performing as clubs can often provide poor power conditions.
However the only way to find out what is responsible for your freeze is to either try using a power conditioner or reinstalling version 1.0.3 that came in the box with your VCI300 & doing what you were doing under the exact same circumstances & see if this problem does or doesn't present itself.
As far as the external power supply fixing issues, this is not verified but theoretically this should reduce strain on your computers USB bus.
However if this is connected to a contaminated power source then this will still present interference in the form of RFI & EMI which could cause malfunctions between components & or at the very least increase the noise floor considerably.
Thanks,
Zeb.
Deejay Dumb Bii 6:36 AM - 4 March, 2009
980mhz doesnt sound good for speed, try to use Maximum Power profile if you can, and not conserve battery profile. How do i find out what's the real cpu speed? I use CPU-Z to see if it does clock the highest. Normally when you're on AC adapter, the processor should clock to the full 1.66ghz, you'll need the speed when you're deejaying.
Dj Nate123 2:03 PM - 6 March, 2009
I have like 3 different laptops and the only one that runs at 1066 mhz is the Apple, are there other laptops that will run Itch properly. Most specs show the front portion of the processor, like the 2.0 Ghz (etc) but they don't show you the 1066 MHZ (frontbus) side like MAC Specs show
Dj Trails 10:02 AM - 7 March, 2009
I'm having a horrible time with mine as well. Extremely unstable and unprofessional.

Serato has not helped solve the issue and Vestax has not even responded to my questions.
kraal 5:37 PM - 7 March, 2009
Quote:
I'm having a horrible time with mine as well. Extremely unstable and unprofessional.

Serato has not helped solve the issue and Vestax has not even responded to my questions.

In your case i think they can't help you. you need to contact PSSL and get a replacement. Possibly expecially if there a lock up of the platter.
broken is broken as i always say. It is not unproffessional it is broken. Sorry to take the high horse attitude but I stand behide ITCH and my VCI-300 100% It has made me love djing again like when i first started on turntables
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 5:51 AM - 10 March, 2009
Hey Dj Nate123,

Quote:
I have like 3 different laptops

Do you get the same freezing issue on all your laptops or just the one? Also when it freezes, if you unplug then replug the VCI-300 does it start working again? Do you have all other programs closed down?
L. A. Dee Jay 9:17 AM - 25 April, 2009
Mine froze too. Not just app. Whole computer froze while using ANALYZE files. Had to do a hard reboot. Later same day Itch crashed (app only) using ANALYZE files.

I'm using latest Itch version. VCI-300 disconnected. Just updating my library

Brand new Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz 4GB RAM, Brand new VCI-300 with Itch.
djcerla 9:34 AM - 25 April, 2009
Corrupted files.
BTW I hope you were not analyzing in the middle of a set :D
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:28 PM - 26 April, 2009
Hi L. A. Dee Jay,

djceria is right, it aounds like a severely corrupted file is causing ITCH to crash when analyzing files. Open Finder and go to Music -> ScratchLIVE and open the OverviewBuilder.log file. Check the last two entries as one of these files will be causing the problem. Remove them from your library and start analyzing files again. When finished try adding them back one at a time and analyzing to find the culprit. Remove the corrupted file from your library and re-rip it if you can.
kraal 1:16 AM - 27 April, 2009
allong the same lines is there a reason a cd will alway rip-currupted file .... my utfo skeezer pleaser/lethal cd always get currupted it's a 90's double release cd
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:26 AM - 27 April, 2009
The only reason I can think of would be if the CD was copy protected, but if it's a 90s release I doubt that is the case. Perhaps try using a different program to rip it?
fotifo 5:21 PM - 25 May, 2009
Hi so here was a deal i tested vci over and over many times and it worked fine.
Last night i had a gig and after 40min of playing vci-300 controls froze on me but the song kept playing.
I was reading lots of stuff about that and before i took it to the club i equipted my vci with everything to prevent freezing
It includes External Power Supply,Power Filter,Golden High Speed certified USB cable 6in, Monster RCA cables. Macbook Pro II generation with 2gb or ram.
It froze when i tryed to load a song thrue vci by pressing two nobs
What else can i do?
kraal 5:25 PM - 25 May, 2009
it could be a corrupt music file
djcerla 5:35 PM - 25 May, 2009
Quote:
it could be a corrupt music file

Maybe, but our software shouldn''t crash in front of the audience for a corrupted file... some kind of strong safety net should kick in.
kraal 5:56 PM - 25 May, 2009
i think thats asking too much any software will crash due to a currupt file.... the safty net is making sure you files are in working order
djcerla 6:00 PM - 25 May, 2009
This is not true.

On Apple Logic Pro, for example, the software notifies the corrupted file with a popup, that's it. No crashes.
kraal 6:08 PM - 25 May, 2009
welll i see..... but if it is indeed a corrupted file itch also gives and icon warning...again that is if it is indeed a corrupted file that was even the issue
fotifo 6:26 PM - 25 May, 2009
oki today i made an update for my mac os
now itch does not recognize my vci at all
says "Failed to Connect audio"
i tryed several USB CABLES same thing
it kind of loads and than drops out right away
no metter what i tryed reseting, restarting still same thing
Vci does not work at all now :(((((
please help
kraal 6:28 PM - 25 May, 2009
repair permission in the disk utility and see if that helps
fotifo 7:15 PM - 25 May, 2009
my pc does not recognize it either
fotifo 7:16 PM - 25 May, 2009
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 9:51 PM - 25 May, 2009
Hey fotifo,

Which version of Mac OS X did you upgrade to? Which version of ITCH are you using?
kraal 11:30 PM - 25 May, 2009
Hey with the new version of OS x 10.5.7 you need to turn the vci-300 on FIRST then load up itch
fotifo 3:10 AM - 26 May, 2009
holly snifFet
KRAAL u are my saver i would not have know if not you, thank you so much
i tryed what you sayd and it works
thank you thNK YOU THAN YOU
i was almost about to bring it to the store today
kraal 3:12 AM - 26 May, 2009
no prob i needed to figure that one out too once i updated
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 5:25 AM - 26 May, 2009
Hey guys,

Yes this bug with 10.5.7 has been confirmed by us. We've fixed it and it will be included in the next public beta of ITCH 1.1.
djtornado 7:43 AM - 26 May, 2009
it seem that the beta gonna be out soon ... i can't wait MAN
fotifo 2:56 PM - 26 May, 2009
yeah guys its good that we kraal helped me out because i got gig tomorrow
Zuck 7:30 PM - 5 June, 2009
I had the same problem, I didn't know that turning on the cvi first fixed it. Thanks Kraal!

Another fix is to go to Utilities, Midi and hit the "rescan MIDI" button. Your Mac will now recognized the vci-300
Shlomi 12:08 PM - 21 July, 2009
hello,
I got Itch with the VCI 300 for almost a year.

most of the time everything was working great and I didn't touch the thing for a month,
and when I came back and plug, the right jog started to make issues.
first it began with latency problem, it doesn't respond well to the way I move it.
I can not scratch with it no more when its like that.
and now when I open itch and load a track to the right, it plays, and after I hit Play to pause it and than hit again to continue playing, it just won't responds! for the whole session. the play/button just doesn't work now. from what I remember, all of those issues began sins I upgrade my mac from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6, and 10.5.7.
from what I read, all the issues with the upgrading had been solved by program update for the Itch....PLEAS HELP ME!!! I can't use the device... :( I'm turning down people who wants me to play at their parties.. and I know the vci is fine, 'cuz when I used it with the mini translator on the Traktor pro everything was working fine, the right jog, the play/pause, fine. what to do?????? its like that for over 2 months.

I'm using a whit MacBook- 2.4 ghz, 2gb Osx-10.5.7.

and my version of Itch is 1.0.5.

please please some one help....!
djcerla 12:56 PM - 21 July, 2009
@ shlomi,

have you tried a different USB cable? Possibly, a short and shielded one? Sounds like bad data transmission, happened exactly the same to me, and a long cable was the culprit
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:52 PM - 21 July, 2009
Hey Shlomi - just answered your help thread here: serato.com
Cheers.
Dj Fantom 3:39 PM - 23 July, 2009
wow i dont like what im reading. i noticed most of the posts are older but not that od. i ordered a vci 300 and it should be coming today via ups. i was super excited. now im kind of worried.

how has anyone who bought a vci since say june, july experience been with it? are the batches being sold now good? and whats the most stable newest version of itch?
kraal 3:47 PM - 23 July, 2009
Quote:
are the batches being sold now good? and whats the most stable newest version of itch?

dont worry just think of it like this. the vci-300 has sold out countless amounts and the 'complaints' are a fraction of a fraction of a percent.
even the latestest release canidate is very stable.
Dj Fantom 4:10 PM - 23 July, 2009
whats the latest release candidate and whats the latest final version. i need to download em b4 this thing comes ( probably by 5-6 pm est) to test. i will be testing thoroughly all night and if any issues returning tomorrow.
kraal 4:31 PM - 23 July, 2009
final version is 1.0.5 i beleive

and relese canidate 4 is out now soon to be final 1.1
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 12:45 AM - 24 July, 2009
Hey Dj Fantom.
Kraal is right, you may be getting a skewed impression of the VCI-300 as you are reading help forums, with issues that a very very small percentage of VCI-300 owners are encountering.

ITCH 1.1 has just been released here:
www.serato.com

You can start importing music with the offline player and getting things sorted before you get the VCI-300. It's a good idea to read over this quick start and get things optimized:
www.serato.com

And a small troubleshoot guide here to get comfortable with the VCI-300:
www.serato.com

Feel free to start a help thread here with any questions and we'll help you out:
www.serato.com

:D
Dj Fantom 10:06 AM - 24 July, 2009
Quote:
Hey Dj Fantom.
Kraal is right, you may be getting a skewed impression of the VCI-300 as you are reading help forums, with issues that a very very small percentage of VCI-300 owners are encountering.

ITCH 1.1 has just been released here:
www.serato.com

You can start importing music with the offline player and getting things sorted before you get the VCI-300. It's a good idea to read over this quick start and get things optimized:
www.serato.com

And a small troubleshoot guide here to get comfortable with the VCI-300:
www.serato.com

Feel free to start a help thread here with any questions and we'll help you out:
www.serato.com

:D

thanks matt

yeah ive tried the vci a few times in stores and back last summer at remix hotel and i was fairly confident in my decision. received the unit last night. tested it allnight and i couldnt be happier. using itch 1.05 right now but will d/l 1.1 asap.

already have my music organized as im already a ssl user. it was just plug and play. about 10 mins to familiarize myself with the button layouts now i can do things without even looking at the screen or controller. lol

a few of my dj friends are looking at me funny for getting this but i am going to turn them into converts soon. watch
kraal 4:10 PM - 24 July, 2009
Quote:

a few of my dj friends are looking at me funny for getting this but i am going to turn them into converts soon. watch

yeah that wont be hard. Not too long ago a big name DJ came to town. ( i won't mention his name due to him being a serato guy and really don't like spreading stuff about people unless i ask if it's ok) but he did his set then came to talk to me. I told him i was a dj and such. he asked what i spin. i told him mainly hiphop and club stuff, and mentioned i use the vci-300 and ITCH. his response was 'then you got it made.'
fotifo 6:21 PM - 5 August, 2009
hey Dj Fantom i guess we are spinning on 15 At ROOFTOP
I see ya there
Dj Fantom 2:56 PM - 6 August, 2009
Quote:
hey Dj Fantom i guess we are spinning on 15 At ROOFTOP
I see ya there

whos spinning on a rooftop on the 15th? where. ? i dont now anything about this. im gonna be djing a bbq in new rochelle on the 15th
livo 10:05 AM - 1 July, 2010
Quote:
Hi DJ CheLu,

There is a problem we have seen with some VCI 300 units where they will freeze, ITCH continues on but the VCI no longer sends data to the computer. This problem can be triggered by electrical interference which may explain why your unit would run fine for hours on one occasion and then another time have this freezing issue. You might find running your system off a different power point might help, or switching to battery power or a power supply.

If you consistently see this problem it is most likely a hardware fault and I would suggest speaking to Vestax about getting your unit replaced.

Thanks
Dylan.

Quote:

The contact points for Vestax support are

1) Unites States (N.America)
Vestax Corporation USA
ATTN: Charles Akira Ono
800 S.Pacific Coast Highway Suite 8-187
Redondo Beach, CA
USA
tel: +1-323-230-7634
fax: +1-323-230-8646
email: charles@vestax.jp

2) Europe
Vestax Service Europe
ATTN: Gerfried Fischer
Rheinstr. 213
53332 Bornheim
Germany
Tel. +492222 952372
Fax +492222 952374
email: Vestaxde@aol.com

3) Japan (Asia/Oceania)
Vestax Corporation
ATTN: Takaki Tarama
1-18-6 Wakabayashi, Setagaya- Ku
Tokyo
Japan 154-0023
Telephone: +81. 03.3412.7011
Fax: +81. 03.3412.7013
email: tarama@vestaxjp and charles@vestax.jp

I appear to be having the exact same problem with hardware. I am in Australia, who should I contract to discuss having my unit replaced?
DJdaveZ 7:47 PM - 1 July, 2010
Mahandry 3:29 PM - 20 June, 2011
Hi everybody, the only thing I wanna know about vci-300 and vci-300 mkII is that can we replace the original crossfader to a Pro X Fade ? As far as I know, we can replace it in a vci-100. Thank u very much to u all ^^
DJdaveZ 5:40 PM - 20 June, 2011
mk2 yes...
johns 4:27 PM - 20 October, 2011
UGH, my unit all off a sudden now is FREEZING on EVERY USAGE! track continues to play and i cant adjust ANYTHING, pitch, volume, or any lo's, mids or hi's. i have emailed and called support and gotten nothing in return. i need some help as im due 2 mixes by months end, and i have a show this weekend and decided to just use my VCI, bc its a small gig. guess i shoulda brought my CDJs instead. or just bought and allen and heath model....
djcerla 4:44 PM - 20 October, 2011
check USB cable (try a different one)
pdidy 7:25 PM - 20 October, 2011
Quote:
UGH, my unit all off a sudden now is FREEZING on EVERY USAGE! track continues to play and i cant adjust ANYTHING, pitch, volume, or any lo's, mids or hi's. i have emailed and called support and gotten nothing in return. i need some help as im due 2 mixes by months end, and i have a show this weekend and decided to just use my VCI, bc its a small gig. guess i shoulda brought my CDJs instead. or just bought and allen and heath model....

Open a help ticket here serato.com

Some basic trouble shooting.....reinstall itch..delete corrupt files with thunder bolt icon...delete or turn off any new programs you installed....