Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Midi Clock

Big Pops 12:59 AM - 9 June, 2014
Be able for SDJ to send and receive midi clock from example NI Maschine.
DJ Compiler 1:16 AM - 9 June, 2014
+1
Disgraceland_UK 3:29 PM - 9 June, 2014
+1
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:12 AM - 25 June, 2014
Hey guys,

We are keen to implement a MIDI clock. Have you tried using MIDI clock with other software that supports it? How do you find using it?
Disgraceland_UK 8:30 AM - 25 June, 2014
Hi There

This is great news!!

if we are talking about DJ Software, then I have used it with Traktor. It was pretty straight forward, although I though the setup was probably more complicated than it needed to be.

Personally, what I would find useful (apart from obvious functionality like being able to specify which midi channel you are outputting on, etc) would be the facility to 'bind' the transport start / stop to a particular channel.

I.e. I may want to trigger a sequence to start / stop based on what was happening on a specific deck.

I could certainly see possibilities with Serato Remote for more advanced midi control.

That said... just a nice, solid, accurate midi clock out would be amazing!! :)
Big Pops 10:27 PM - 25 June, 2014
I have also used it with Traktor and Maschine and it works just fine.
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:51 PM - 25 June, 2014
How well does it trigger the start of you sequence?

What do you guys mainly do with it? Mix in and out of your own productions, or use it just to have loops running on and off in the background of your mixing?
Big Pops 2:00 AM - 26 June, 2014
When I use Traktor in Maschine I use it to sync Maschine with Traktor then I use Maschine plugins and play synth or drum parts in perfect sync with Traktor ,NI have a way they route the midi to sync in traktor.
See link below from djtectools in how NI route the audio and midi form Maschine in Traktor

techtools.zendesk.com
DJ Compiler 2:33 AM - 26 June, 2014
I would like to use my Maschine to build drum loops and maybe some light melodies and harmonies to help with transitions and to help add some energy to bad intros or low energy songs.
Disgraceland_UK 9:40 AM - 26 June, 2014
I have used traktor alongside my Volca Bass & Volca Beats. I tend to have these running and use them for improvisation. Also, using a Depfer midi to cv box, I sometimes sync my SH-101.

If you did add midi clock I would also see this as a replacement for Bridge, which would be massively useful.
ScullyDJServices 12:58 AM - 4 July, 2014
I would love to see a MIDI clock too. I would be able to have it run to my lighting controller/system. Also, another great feature would be to have an option so that when you play a song and you get to a certain cuepoint it would send out a programmable MIDI signal to start different lighting scenes and such. Example: A bass drop happens and the lights all start strobing and chasing or a buildup happens and the lights strobe with the buildup.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:15 AM - 4 July, 2014
I would like a midi clock so I can sync with Resolume, then when I use Resolume video effects everything will be in time. Things look so much better when their all nice and in sync.
DJ Compiler 3:55 AM - 21 July, 2014
Would be cool if there was also a vst implementation so that the output of your audio could be run through seratos eq, filters, and effects
Blackie Lox 3:48 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
I would like a midi clock so I can sync with Resolume, then when I use Resolume video effects everything will be in time. Things look so much better when their all nice and in sync.

Currently I use the MIDI clock send from my mixer to sync visual effects/overlays from Resolume. It works very well but the BPM of some tracks don't get detected properly and have to be tapped in manually (which doesn't help if you move the pitch slider later). Having the BPM pefectly synced via software will make things a lot easier.

I also use Traktor's MIDI clock send to sync Ableton and use some external VST effects and it works really well. I once tried to mimic the "Mixtape" feature of the bridge using Traktor, but the BPM was very unstable
x GAP x 8:16 PM - 5 August, 2014
Please please implement Midi clock out... I bought a DDJ-S1when it was first released now sometimes i use a Roland TB3 live in my sets and when i do, I have to use my Pioneer mapped to Traktor..
Will08272 3:20 AM - 6 August, 2014
This has to be implemented.
vegas_sound 9:43 AM - 7 August, 2014
+ 10 for midi clock output & input

i think this is a must have feature for the future of digital djing for every software out there,
and i hope the serato team will implement this asap because the midi clock output and input allows you to generate a totaly unique setup you can hook up some external gear like drum machines or synth and also you can sync software like ableton and with this option you have so many possibilities that blows your head off.
When i look at the new line of modular audio and efx controllers from akai for serato this is the right way also for a unique setup!
For example look at pro´s like liebing or the minus crew they all have one software for "djing" and another software or hardware in combination for let me call it "the creative part" in her sets and its realy amazing what they can do with this kind of setup on her shows and the base for all this is a rock solid midi clock.
You can do this between software or also with some kind of solutions from innerclock but you must have a midi clock output and input for running the system in master or slave mode.
And sorry but in the past NI is much more forward thinking in this area to integrate third party hard and software as any other company and now 2014 / 2015 i think it is the right time for serato to change the game in a whole new way ;)
Jumbo Boogie 12:49 PM - 7 August, 2014
+1 midi syncing older rack effects =)
zoomwire 10:28 AM - 9 August, 2014
+1 for midi clocking. I want to sync my drum machine and other instruments while deejaying.
x GAP x 11:57 AM - 12 August, 2014
I take it from the lack of comments from Serato in nearly 3 weeks, We won't be seeing Midi Sync soon or at all
Dj Nyce 9:55 PM - 21 August, 2014
i would love to be able to sync sdj with resolume or vpt. with midi clock i could do this.
polromeu 9:59 PM - 21 August, 2014
+1
Le Frique 8:55 PM - 24 August, 2014
Quote:
+ 10 for midi clock output & input

i think this is a must have feature for the future of digital djing for every software out there,
and i hope the serato team will implement this asap because the midi clock output and input allows you to generate a totaly unique setup you can hook up some external gear like drum machines or synth and also you can sync software like ableton and with this option you have so many possibilities that blows your head off.
When i look at the new line of modular audio and efx controllers from akai for serato this is the right way also for a unique setup!
For example look at pro´s like liebing or the minus crew they all have one software for "djing" and another software or hardware in combination for let me call it "the creative part" in her sets and its realy amazing what they can do with this kind of setup on her shows and the base for all this is a rock solid midi clock.
You can do this between software or also with some kind of solutions from innerclock but you must have a midi clock output and input for running the system in master or slave mode.
And sorry but in the past NI is much more forward thinking in this area to integrate third party hard and software as any other company and now 2014 / 2015 i think it is the right time for serato to change the game in a whole new way ;)

Quote:
+1 for midi clocking. I want to sync my drum machine and other instruments while deejaying.

Quote:
This has to be implemented.
with SDJ 1.7.1;)

+1k
Big Pops 5:57 AM - 25 August, 2014
Midi clock is so important
deejdave 8:58 PM - 5 September, 2014
+1
KJBBK 4:24 PM - 6 September, 2014
+1
We absolutely need it ! For all the créativité this simple feature can add into live sets !
Rifter 5:41 PM - 9 September, 2014
MIDI clock +1
I'd use it to sync SDJ with FL Studio. Then I'd try to stream the audio output of the Twitch to an FL Studio mixer track (if nothing works I'd use a cable).
Multiple outputs would be even better, and this lead me to agree with DJ Compiler for the vst implementation:

Quote:
Would be cool if there was also a vst implementation so that the output of your audio could be run through seratos eq, filters, and effects

That would be really ideal.
DJ Compiler 9:41 PM - 9 September, 2014
I actually meant for hosting plugins like Maschine within Serato. Sorry that wasn't clear
Rifter 11:33 PM - 9 September, 2014
Well Ok I misunderstood you but either way a vst version of SDJ would be really cool.
Plus, FL Studio can be run as a vst itself.
Returning on topic, with a "normal" Midi Clock, it would be great to have in both ways: master or slave.
Felix Rosic 9:17 PM - 14 September, 2014
MIDI clock +10
run a roland aira system with serato!
DJ Compiler 5:39 PM - 23 October, 2014
Okay I feel like just about everything I've heard the SSL guys say that they need to function is in SDJ now, so can we please get some new features like MIDI clock?
Benamar 7:02 AM - 4 November, 2014
I'd love to see MIDI clock implemented in Serato DJ. I have plenty of gear with internal sequencers I could use live with Serato if there was a way to sync these. I have been thinking of switching to some other software that has MIDI clock, because for me this feature is essential and I cannot wait much longer.
JustMike 4:43 PM - 5 November, 2014
I'm wanting to send MIDI Clock to a bunch of outboard gear such as the Roland TR-8, TB-3, and more so the Boss RC-505 Looper for Combo DJ/Live Performance sets. PLEASE get this implemented!!!!!
Will08272 4:49 PM - 5 November, 2014
Also with the new api apple added to yosemite that allows for bluetooth midi connections to other machines or ios devices the possibilities that midi clock would open up would be amazing.
Pete Input 11:11 PM - 5 November, 2014
+1

Well, i would like to sync my SDJ-gear to my friends SDJ-gear for B2B-sets.
deejdave 11:59 PM - 5 November, 2014
Quote:
+1

I am guessing this is so your beat can be SYNCed perfectly for you when you mix off his beat?
DJ Compiler 12:04 AM - 6 November, 2014
Quote:
+1

In the time it would take to set up a midi clock I would think you could just manually set your BPM to his BPM and drop it on beat.
deejdave 12:09 AM - 6 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
+1

In the time it would take to set up a midi clock I would think you could just manually set your BPM to his BPM and drop it on beat.

THIS is where I was goung with this. Not for nothing I believe SYNC has been accepted as a whole being you can save time and apply FX and manipulate the music but when you are going off another beat and starting your set or even going back N forth I firmly believe it should be all you.

IMO matching the beat and going from there is a HUGE portion of the fun and WOW.

Matter of fact MANY DJ battles are dine in this manner.
Pete Input 9:00 AM - 6 November, 2014
Yes, i can do it manually like this:

Friend is playing a song. From external mixer (between us) comes a RCA-cable to my VCI-380, so i can hear the same song that he is playing. My other deck is on a loop all the time and i'm manually mixing that loop to the song that he plays, but my faders are down because i'm using SP6 with loops, samples and acappellas instead.
My output goes to the external mixer too...
So, SP6 is synced to the loop, whitch is playing all the time in the background and nobody else but me can hear it. And i'm manually beatmaching that loop to the songs / loops / whatever my fried is playing.
This is all good and fun, but it could be better with midi clock, so everything goes with the beatgrids. If i'm playing a loop, my friend could just put his loop on and bang, that would be on the beat right away with smart sync.

So, this is not the basic B2B-set. :)
Blackie Lox 11:36 AM - 6 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
+1

I do "B2B" video sets all the time and a master MIDI clock would be great to sync external video effects/loops to both of our computers. That's one thing you can't really "match by ear".
CJ DJ 12:29 AM - 8 November, 2014
+1
L.Mattos 4:09 AM - 11 November, 2014
+ 1
djzaurus 1:19 PM - 12 November, 2014
+ 1
DJ_Karma216 3:31 PM - 13 November, 2014
Please make this happen, that will make the DDj-sx a very powerful tool in the studio. I would sync it to reason 8
DeRajj 1:11 AM - 20 November, 2014
+1
mpalias 2:03 PM - 24 November, 2014
This matter is that simple: midi clock for serato dj or NI traktor will become a necessity...
938MyDJ 6:32 AM - 25 November, 2014
+1 on Midi-Clock
Jimi_Hoffa 7:45 AM - 28 November, 2014
+1 , would love to use my TR-8 and TB-3 with SDJ
Thnx2u 10:28 AM - 2 December, 2014
+1
L.Mattos 4:21 PM - 4 December, 2014
Quote:
This matter is that simple: midi clock for serato dj or NI traktor will become a necessity...

That's it!
Karl W 4:27 PM - 18 December, 2014
+1 PLEEEEEEASE! I dont want to go to Traktor but its looking that way :(
MelF 8:00 PM - 18 December, 2014
+ 1 on the Midi clock!! Please enable this feature in Serato DJ, or add the loop sync feature like in Traktor
Zeder 10:50 PM - 29 December, 2014
+1
Karl W 5:58 PM - 4 January, 2015
Just sold my 68;( because It doesnt have midi clock ... sad day today. No way in hell I'm dropping another 2.5k on a 64 so I'm forced to traktor. Sucks because I've been a staunch serato supporter from the start but if the software can't evolve and keep up with the times then that's the way it's got to be.
deejdave 6:00 PM - 4 January, 2015
Take care.
deejdave 6:06 PM - 4 January, 2015
Heltino Wrote: 11:25 AM - 4 January, 2015
@mor:
I can just strongly recomment to not put any money on Traktor right now.

In fact the actual stuff is old. The "new version" added mainly just two things.
itunes integration
support for the new S8 hardware

The rest is pretty unchainged since 2012.

BUT even if the rest is pretty unchanged, these guys managed to insert an army of bugs into it.
2.6.8 is the latest stable version, everything "new" above 2.7.x just sucks.

My personal main reason to try Serato (and finally changed to it) was driven by:
no hardware (full controller) except of their own plastic stuff
the attitude of this company.

Native Instruments was a real cool small company from Berlin.
Now they changed to a money generating monster that just don´t give a monkey on their customers.
Support sucks like a support can suck
Forums: there is one (!) free lancer DJ paid by NI that talks a little to the customers.
But mainly the free lancer just defends NI where it is possible. (as well with pure ignorance of facts)
Don´t expect ANY open ear.
"feature request" is unknown for these guys.

99% of the customers claims since 5 (!!!) years that a flexible beat grid is needed as the static solution from Traktor makes it impossible to grid a few tracks properly.
THEY DON´T GIVE A SHIT. Instead of the requested stuff...they came with "remix deck hardcore" AND forced the customers to purchase an additional controller for this in the first two years. (after 2 years they opened it a little...for full function -> NI plastic is your way)

I know from good channels that Pioneer themself refuses to work longer with Native Instruments. The reason is unbelievable :)
Pioneer had the DJM-T1 Traktor mixer what was in the beginning 1199Euro and market price was 1000Euro.

NI just made in hidden mode a pretty similar device, nearly a copy, and sold it for less money. (blog.friendlyhouse.at)

799Euro list price and market price somewhere between 600 and 750Euro.

At this point Pioneer stopped immediately all coorperation, that was the last "NI device" they made.
By tactical reasons (club´s requirement) there is the DJM nexus line supporting Traktor and the 2000 CDJ (900 NOT!), all rest is Serato.

Even the DDJ-SX or SZ are just "midi" with Traktor and not natively supported.
Tested that...not so responsive for me as I like to have it.

So, don´t get me wrong....if you believe SDJ is a joke. You have not seen the last years and actual behavior of Native Instruments. THAT was not only a joke, that was kidding the own customers and act like an arrogant full idiot company.

Just think about it:
8 month was between 2.6.8 and 2.7.0.
EIGHT month where absolutly nothing came. no communication, no response to questions from the customers, no bug fixing...just 100% silence.
After this unbelievable long time they release 2.7.0 what gave NOTHING except a basic itunes integration. AND this version was so terrible that they released after 2 weeks in emergency mode 2.7.1....and this is still unstable for the most guys.

If I compare what Serato did in this time: IMPRESSIVE.
If I look at the 1.7.2 beta: that rocked. 100% feedback, each two weeks new versions, a lot of stuff we told them was considered....

Let´s say....I´m now a little "unliked" in their forums as I told them pretty clear that they can not kidding me and believe that I give them another money for anything. I referenced to the beta here and told them that Serato is world class in customer communication and involvement and I will give 1500Euro this direction.

Guess what happened....a lot of guys jumped on this thread. 612 replies and 30.858 views!!!!!

Now Native Instruments started after 5 years of absence a new bety project for 2.7.2.

What shit heads :)

If you are unhappy with SDJ, you could test MixVibes for example as well. Seems to be on a good way.
BUT: I have clear to say: MixVibes, Virtual DJ....you will not have the high end candy that SDJ offers.
Pitch´nTime (best master tempo EVER had)
izotope effects (I heard the effects in Virtual DJ...my god. TERRIBLE. sound quality is so bad, I would never ever use them in public.)

Sorry for the long text, but I liked to point out that I´m not bashing you!
I just received a heart attack as you wrote that what Serato delievered and what SDJ is right now would be a joke.
If you came from the other side of the river...looks pretty strange :)
OF COURSE SDJ is not perfect. No software will ever be perfect....but: they are on a good way. As mentioned: with 1.7.2 I had so far no single issue.
Quote· Report· Permalink

This is just the most recent post on Traktor I have seen. Also at the Traktor forums trust they are EVERY DAY making threats on moving to Serato because of what we have that they don't. I understand your want of Midi Clock but let's NOT pretend the grass is greener over in Traktor Land because they have this ONE feature.

I personally just bought the Traktor S8 and I am loving it. That being said even with the option on their flagship controller I still prefer Serato 9/10.

Either way I do mean what I said. Good luck and take care.
Mutis Mayfield 11:46 AM - 12 January, 2015
Mixing two tracks A<>B paradigm has passed away (with SSL more or less) so SDJ needs midi clock out for being uptodate not against Traktor... It needs it to be used In junction with Volcas, Airas and so on. Even some kind of analog syncro will be great (and it is a pulse more or less that all of you analog boys could load into a deck and control these little beasties)

If Serato believes there is a way better to integrate the timming required to manage the new workflows like live producing (aka the bridge) or live remix/mashup... Ok! Improve that "way" too (I'm referring to the internals of The Bridge where Live transport was managed from LiveApi 1to1 low jitter midi message over translation from clock signal going one step further but limited only to live) but keep in mind not all the users want Serato Video or Ableton integration (almost in the terms where the bridge was)

At this point it will be easy to implement the same functionalities from the Bridge throught maxforlive and with the new max7 even the missed clip scratching with native objects from cycling (no need to externals but hey you have coded for the Serato Remote app so...)

Some kind of timeline for Flip/mixtape should be useful but not sure about Ableton... Why Serato didn't implemented some features from Cycling like Ableton done and viceversa? The new max7 even open maxforlive devices... Why Serato didn't implemented some kind of timeline from Ableton code? At last a partnership is a partnership...
Mutis Mayfield 11:47 AM - 12 January, 2015
Sorry for double posting...
JordyVibe 3:25 PM - 20 January, 2015
+1
cristiano1976pt 6:02 PM - 22 January, 2015
+10

that would be great to send my midi to Machine like i done it before with traktor 2.
I Love Serato but this is realy a feature that i'm missing so much.
Dan Carr 7:14 PM - 25 January, 2015
I was in the process of selling my DDJ-SX/Serato setup to replace it with Traktor when i found this thread...

Just have the echo whats already being said here, I'd love to use my Maschine with Serato! Midi clock is the main thing missing for me. I love Serato and my DDJSX but not being able to use Maschine or similar with it is holding me back big time.

Is this likely to happen anytime soon?
Big Pops 4:44 AM - 26 January, 2015
MIDI clock is a must for Serato DJ to really stand out front.
Garrison (DJ G) 5:42 AM - 26 January, 2015
I am currently debating whether or not to continue using SDJ or transition to Traktor. The reason why is because Traktor has the midi clock which allows me to sync with not only my personal external drum machine and synths, but also other performers equipment as well. If SDJ got the midi clock feature it would also allow me to sync up with the lighting at the different events that I DJ at. I love SDJ and making the switch to Traktor would mean having to rebuild my library, which is something I would rather not have to do. This feature would a great benefit and a awesome tool to use!
DJ Sonny D 7:37 PM - 27 January, 2015
Quote:
I am currently debating whether or not to continue using SDJ or transition to Traktor. The reason why is because Traktor has the midi clock which allows me to sync with not only my personal external drum machine and synths, but also other performers equipment as well. If SDJ got the midi clock feature it would also allow me to sync up with the lighting at the different events that I DJ at. I love SDJ and making the switch to Traktor would mean having to rebuild my library, which is something I would rather not have to do. This feature would a great benefit and a awesome tool to use!

I am 1 day away from making the switch.
DJ Anti Hero 7:08 AM - 28 January, 2015
+1
Dan Carr 11:58 AM - 28 January, 2015
May i suggest the feature is added early as a paid for add-on? €20 would be fair & allow anyone who wants a midi clock it to get it now rather than it being part of a firmware update & being pushed out for a long time.
With no idea when it its coming i'll be forced to move to Traktor before the summer season starts
Mutis Mayfield 12:34 AM - 29 January, 2015
Sometimes I get mad when I realize the contradiction fonusing "timecoded audio signal" (or noisemap timestamp) to clever implementation of digital vinyl system... But not external gear syncronization? Wtf?

en.m.wikipedia.org

So... Once again we find ourselves trying to keep the turntable in relevance but stucking ourselves with contradiction... Why can I scratch video but not send timecode timestamp to Finalcut?

Timecode is... Timecode! Sync is not cheating everytime... C'mon!

Tools are tools like fools are fools (and only use innovation to cheat themselves). Let the open minded people who love to keep the turntable relevant in this new times (with retro hardware like grooveboxes being new) adding some kind of syncronization between them. Let's get over this synCdrome please...
Mutis Mayfield 12:35 AM - 29 January, 2015
From using not fonusing xD
Metroclone 5:22 AM - 30 January, 2015
+1
MBLL 10:00 PM - 31 January, 2015
+1. Would love to be able to sync up my Korg Volca Sample and Bass to Serato.
Matt King Cole 7:56 AM - 8 February, 2015
+1 I have a few things I'd like to be able to sync with Serato.
maarawoe 1:33 PM - 24 February, 2015
+1
Odinuk 1:11 PM - 25 February, 2015
+1 I'd pay for an add-on for sure.
Poizen 87 10:01 PM - 26 February, 2015
It would be super swell if the midi clock could be implemented. I switched from Traktor to Serato after falling in love with the DDJ SX at my last residency, but I've been looking to include the Ableton Push in my sets for sometime now and it's a real shame that I can't.
The Rosskonian 6:49 PM - 6 March, 2015
+1 MIDI clock please.
ivan martinez 10:32 PM - 19 March, 2015
+1 MIDI clock please.
Largoman Deejay 1:29 PM - 23 March, 2015
+1 MIDI clock
maumaumau 3:34 PM - 23 March, 2015
+1
Big Pops 11:21 PM - 23 March, 2015
Thought we would of seen midi clock in 1.7.4 , but that was a DREAM. I understand that the next big update for Traktor would have proper integration of Maschine, that would be nice.
deejdave 11:25 PM - 23 March, 2015
Quote:
I understand that the next big update for Traktor would have proper integration of Maschine, that would be nice.

Not following. The next big update for Traktor will feature 64 but support but what do Maschine or Traktor have to do with Serato.
Big Pops 2:50 AM - 24 March, 2015
its going to be 64 plus Maschine integration, did i say it have anything to do with Serato all i am saying if they do this it would be nice. Don't forget i am the person who started this discussion months ago.
deejdave 2:56 AM - 24 March, 2015
Ahh reading your first post and this makes much more sense. I was just confused as to who "they" were in both your previous posts.

I read it as
Quote:
I understand that the next big update for Traktor would have proper integration of Maschine, that would be nice.

then though to myself wait it would be nice if N.I. did what N.I. is already doing?

I am assuming you are speaking of just midi clock so you can use the Maschine on your own terms with it and not in fact expecting integration of Maschine within Serato DJ, correct?
Mighi 9:01 PM - 30 March, 2015
we need midiclock that ill blow up all others dj softwares out there, cmon we do it with midi light output why not a simple clock and metronome or something like that
foxmove 4:06 PM - 31 March, 2015
+1 Midi clock for syncing up my korg volcas.
gboddin 6:02 PM - 1 April, 2015
+1 ... It's sad to block creativity only to serato ;)

There's a lot of sampler/sequencer using midi clock to stay in sync, and when working with sources outside serato it can become hard to manage ... (especially since all software/hardware don't have the same BPM rules it seems ... 125~=125 which leads to 124.95 or 126.05)
koffeekan 3:53 AM - 19 April, 2015
+1 Your programmers are using at least 3 different APIs that can set up an output and broadcast a MIDI beat clock... Why not just implement it?
x GAP x 1:47 PM - 21 April, 2015
Can someone at Serato please tell us why we still haven't got midi clock out.
Is there a reason that you don't want us to sync our midi hardware with Serato like you can with traktor?
Mighi 7:46 PM - 27 April, 2015
please do it, we need that midi clock i dont see any issue to implement that the controllers do not suffer any change, lets face it sampler sp-6 its useless compared to ableton and other looper\ sampler tools
Dan Carr 10:18 AM - 1 May, 2015
So guys at Serato... Martin C...... when contacting Serato directly this is where we are directed for new feature requests.

There seems to be allot of demand for this feature (Midi clock) but no response or update since 11:51 PM - 25 June 2014 by Martin C, nearly a year ago..... which is pretty poor.

Is it being worked on? Considered? issue with it being implemented? Just tell your customers.

Be nice to know what the story is considering so many people have taken time to post here.

Cheers
Dj Nyce 12:19 AM - 6 May, 2015
Quote:
So guys at Serato... Martin C...... when contacting Serato directly this is where we are directed for new feature requests.

There seems to be allot of demand for this feature (Midi clock) but no response or update since 11:51 PM - 25 June 2014 by Martin C, nearly a year ago..... which is pretty poor.

Is it being worked on? Considered? issue with it being implemented? Just tell your customers.

Be nice to know what the story is considering so many people have taken time to post here.

Cheers

this
KmanSanders 10:56 PM - 7 May, 2015
+1

I would like to be able to sync Serato and some IOS apps

to loop live instruments.
Big Pops 3:58 AM - 12 May, 2015
Check out this article from djtectools

www.djtechtools.com
DJ Deividi 2:17 AM - 15 May, 2015
+1
DER_FICH 5:15 AM - 15 May, 2015
+1
DJ_Karma216 7:34 PM - 16 May, 2015
DDJ-sx for sale ! time to go where they have midi clock. no love from serato
wwmoraes 12:35 AM - 17 May, 2015
+1
deejdave 3:01 AM - 17 May, 2015
Quote:
DDJ-sx for sale ! time to go where they have midi clock. no love from serato

DDJ-SX can go elsewhere with you as most apps support it natively.
Big Pops 5:39 AM - 17 May, 2015
Honestly i don't see why Serato don't shed some light on this discussion.
KmanSanders 10:14 PM - 20 May, 2015
I'm sure it's on its way but there being all secretive about it. haha

Thanks Serato!
Odinuk 6:36 AM - 23 May, 2015
Does anyone know if the Roland SBX1 can be used instead of a midi clock out of Serato? From the looks of it you would still have to manually adjust tempo unless the unit detects tempo from Serato/Computer too?
Odinuk 7:49 AM - 23 May, 2015
Here's one way of doing it.

dj.rane.com
Mr Wilks 8:18 PM - 25 May, 2015
+1
SebG 6:56 AM - 28 May, 2015
Hi guys

First of all I have to say that in my opinion SDJ is better than Traktor in many ways : speed, fx, stability, etc.

However, people in general, (Serato in particular) sometimes forget what music is all about : Music... connects people together, period. That's all it is... a harmonious connection, a resonance with the universe, something magic that transcends us all.

I had to switch to Traktor :( so I could connect with my other friends using midi clock and we've got 6 artists playing and sync'ed together using 2 x Live and Traktor (works amazingly great btw for both studio and live).

I'm not posting this a complaint but as a message of truth and hope just to let the people know they can connect with other artists and enjoy the essence of music making together.

@Serato: I really found your product great, really the best there is if you hadn't got the basics wrong about music to begin with. I truly and most dearly hope you will come around and realize that musical instruments (even electronic ones) are only a sub part of Music... So please respect music, respect artists, and let them play together with the instruments they want, not just yours, I know you have to make profits like everyone but don't silence their creativity.

I thank you for making this great product for which you should be proud, and I hope to see a midi clock feature which will sound the return of many frustrated musicians back in harmony... Until then I have to stay on Traktor.

Good luck with the product, au revoir.
CJ DJ 8:58 PM - 28 May, 2015
Traktor Control S8 is starting to garner my attention.....
DJ Tribal Son 1:05 AM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
I actually meant for hosting plugins like Maschine within Serato. Sorry that wasn't clear

Exactly what I am interested in as well. Any updates Serato?
Big Pops 4:14 AM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
Hi guys

First of all I have to say that in my opinion SDJ is better than Traktor in many ways : speed, fx, stability, etc.

However, people in general, (Serato in particular) sometimes forget what music is all about : Music... connects people together, period. That's all it is... a harmonious connection, a resonance with the universe, something magic that transcends us all.

I had to switch to Traktor :( so I could connect with my other friends using midi clock and we've got 6 artists playing and sync'ed together using 2 x Live and Traktor (works amazingly great btw for both studio and live).

I'm not posting this a complaint but as a message of truth and hope just to let the people know they can connect with other artists and enjoy the essence of music making together.

@Serato: I really found your product great, really the best there is if you hadn't got the basics wrong about music to begin with. I truly and most dearly hope you will come around and realize that musical instruments (even electronic ones) are only a sub part of Music... So please respect music, respect artists, and let them play together with the instruments they want, not just yours, I know you have to make profits like everyone but don't silence their creativity.

I thank you for making this great product for which you should be proud, and I hope to see a midi clock feature which will sound the return of many frustrated musicians back in harmony... Until then I have to stay on Traktor.

Well Said,being able to send and receive midi clock is so vital in todays music , especially where a lot of the DJays now a days use a lot of instruments in their set up.
Mr Wilks 4:28 AM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
Hi guys

Quite heartfelt and sincere post.

I hope Serato add it are some point as it's a great tool to have.
Fortyc 10:42 PM - 5 June, 2015
+1
Korg er1 + ddj-sx = great new live set! I need the midi clock to syncing drum machine...
Dan Carr 8:53 AM - 24 June, 2015
A full year of activity and people showing interest here with no reply... FAIL !

Even a "we are working on it and it will come down the line" would be of use.

Come on Serato Development team... give us an update so we know these comments are at least being read
Odinuk 8:57 AM - 24 June, 2015
I've had communication through twitter that it is being worked on but they weren't able to provide any timelines.

I did press them a little but after the "we're working on it" reply, it went quiet.
Dan Carr 1:47 PM - 24 June, 2015
Thanks Odinuk, I had contacted them directly through support and sales but I was told to request updates here... to no avail

Maybe more activity on twitter would get things moving!?!
Odinuk 2:04 PM - 24 June, 2015
No worries. I did put out a message on twitter asking users to come here and support this feature.
Dan Carr 7:16 PM - 24 June, 2015
@Odinuk, good work. Just posted on twitter & Facebook myself
CJ DJ 5:47 PM - 28 June, 2015
i have been asking for this for the last 3 years, many of us are being forced to move on to other software/hardware because of this restrictions we are been spoon fed....
gboddin 10:46 AM - 29 June, 2015
114 messages -->

It's time to listen to your users Serato and admit midi clock is not a fancy option but a must have by today's standards and AT LEAST make some communication around it ...

I got a nice Korg for my birthday that I cannot use ...

At this point, I regret I bought the software and I look like fool when I have arguments on Serato vs Traktor ...
cristiano 2:19 PM - 4 July, 2015
por favor los usuarios de Serato DJ quieren Midi Clock, no estaría mal cambiar el SP-6 Sample por un sampler decente como el REMIX DECKS de Traktor....para cuando estos cambios tan importantes para los usuarios de Serato Dj?....please
Code:E 7:21 PM - 5 July, 2015
Where are we at with this Serato? Midi clock would be great to help sync Resolume to Serato. Even better would be SMPTE integration. Or both.
Dan Carr 3:13 PM - 8 July, 2015
same request also being ignore here: serato.com
Dan Carr 7:10 AM - 17 July, 2015
Not sure if anyone has seen the new Midi Fighter Twister from DJ tech tools, its a great new bit of kit but needs a midi clock to sync with the DJ software. This alone would completely change the way you can mix a set and CAN'T be used with the current Serato software :(

I'm tired of the lack of response here so I've put my kit up for sale and will try and get Traktor and a Control to go with it.

Turns out a midi clock make all the difference !
Mutis Mayfield 10:23 AM - 17 July, 2015
One workaround for volca series could be load the audio sync signal into a deck/sampler slot and sync it with master bpm (or not as you need) of sdj. Then output the signal to the volca sync jack (headphones output in your soundcard should be free if you are mixing externally...) and that's it!
If you mod your volca with midi output (it takes 2 hours to perform) you will have a midi clock box synced to your setup. I supose it is doable with other sync boxes like the new roland aira specific sync box and similar audio (timecode or phase trigger) signal.

Other solution are soundbyte loop samplers. Traktor and Live users synced themc in the past with them... The bridge was supposed to be a better alternative to it...
Mutis Mayfield 10:31 AM - 17 July, 2015
Quote:
Traktor and Live users synced themc in the past with them... The bridge was supposed to be a better alte

Sorry for galimatias... In the past, when traktor/live users need to sync them, one solution was to use the soundbyte loop samplers midi cappability to rule the Ableton clock (as slave) when soundbyte synced loops from turntable were the master clock.
The Bridge performed something more accurate (bypassing the timecode to sound to midi clock analysis stage into timestamp/timecode to transport via remote scripting with special trqck loaded into deck) so at last is more or less the same and obviously there is no scratch transport.
Traktor then gone remix deck to emulate Ableton session view and now with stems is getting ready the floor for smartmixing (which nowadays is pioneer djm2000 and nexus territory)

End of offtopic.
Mr Wilks 11:18 AM - 17 July, 2015
Quote:
One workaround for volca series could be load the audio sync signal into a deck/sampler slot and sync it with master bpm (or not as you need) of sdj. Then output the signal to the volca sync jack (headphones output in your soundcard should be free if you are mixing externally...) and that's it!
If you mod your volca with midi output (it takes 2 hours to perform) you will have a midi clock box synced to your setup. I supose it is doable with other sync boxes like the new roland aira specific sync box and similar audio (timecode or phase trigger) signal.

Other solution are soundbyte loop samplers. Traktor and Live users synced themc in the past with them... The bridge was supposed to be a better alternative to it...

The Red Sound devices in question are the Soundbite Micro headphone amps and GroovinDJ gave a hood example here youtu.be

I have both the actual original Cycloops and a Soundbite Pro samplers both from Red Sounds still at home and unfortunately they don't do MIDI clock sync.

Ebay for clock sync gear like the EFX or the KP3 (like in the video) will also do it.

Here's more info regarding Ableton and the Micro serato.com
Mutis Mayfield 11:29 AM - 17 July, 2015
Quote:
The Red Sound devices in question are the Soundbite Micro headphone amps and GroovinDJ gave a hood example here youtu.be

I have both the actual original Cycloops and a Soundbite Pro samplers both from Red Sounds still at home and unfortunately they don't do MIDI clock sync.

Ebay for clock sync gear like the EFX or the KP3 (like in the video) will also do it.

Yes I was talking about micro but forget to "concretize" best. Thanks for pointing it mate!
Mr Wilks 1:05 PM - 17 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yes I was talking about micro but forget to "concretize" best. Thanks for pointing it mate!

I wished the other samplers had MIDI as I have a brand new in box XL Pro. Shame they are now pretty much redundant with software.

Just two TTs and a mixer they are great.
Mister Ries 8:47 AM - 23 July, 2015
I was watching the 'perform your beats' video about the bridge. This made me think this was a the best implementation for syncing midi or ableton with Serato.

Now that Serato supports 4 decks, it's fine to dedicate one of those decks to midi-out or 'internal midi/ableton-out'.

This way you can still slow down or speed up, or sync to any of your other decks if you want.
x GAP x 2:05 AM - 25 July, 2015
Why are we making it easy for Serato to not implement midi sync by finding our own workarounds.
It wouldn't be hard for them to add it they were testing it 2 years ago.
#justsaying
Mutis Mayfield 10:57 AM - 25 July, 2015
I'm not doing it for Serato (because they never heard none of my suggestions even when I was involved in Ms. pinky maxforlive developing or blogging about it... ) more than doing it for USERS. Info is explained, the QC clips were released by Serato in the past (I strong believe the coders or almost the direction has changed since Mr. West left the company) so maybe Serato is getting ready something even better...

The facts are clear... If someone needs midi sync now there are possibles workaraounds; if not, He/she could wait until Serato release something which addresses the needs (from midi clock to transport control in Live or maybe a plug...)

As I stated before over the Bridge development "I just don't care about Serato (or any company releases) because I prefer to do it myself (advicing, pointing or even coding which isn't one of my better skills but I learn step by step a bit max, a bit qc, a bit arduino...) instead wait and wait.

At this moment I'm repairing my second numark cdx and taking in consideration to implement midi in it once again.
DJ Deividi 2:24 PM - 27 July, 2015
the lack of synchronization between serato and maschine to almost returning to the traktor.
Big Pops 5:09 PM - 3 August, 2015
see in video how Ean from DJTECTOOLS uses external gear sync to tracktor 2.9 using STEMS files.

djtechtools.com
DJ Deividi 2:42 AM - 4 August, 2015
stems seems to be interesting.
I'm reading about
Big Pops 9:44 PM - 4 August, 2015
Its very interested, Stems, it opens a whole new world for live remixing and mash ups.
Tibor_DX 10:39 AM - 10 August, 2015
+1
Mighi 8:54 PM - 18 August, 2015
yeah they are losing serators (serato fans) just because we dont have midi clock its frustrating we have to go to the farm (traktor) i don want to be a farmer but i dont have other choice
amplogik 10:01 PM - 21 August, 2015
+1
dergreule 6:13 PM - 23 August, 2015
Honestly... when i bought my ddj-sx2 and it was about traktor or Serato i didn't even consider looking for midi sync... cause i thought this is standard in every software since the 80s?!?! Reading that its not in there yet feels like a joke...
amplogik 8:40 PM - 25 August, 2015
I agree. It's a glaring omission. However, I suspect that it was deliberately done to preserve agreements with hardware partners to make sure that only their hardware would work. It clearly goes on under the hood if you look at midi ox dumps, and it would be relatively painless to send a tick on a beatgrid, so I think this was really done to prevent someone using third party hardware with SDJ or make people buy the video plugin rather than sending a clock signal to resolume or other software they don't control.

Unfortunately this doesn't represent the reality of most DJs in larger events that are part of a team and need to be able to send this data to a VJ, or a lighting console or so on.

I think this is why you see NI, pioneer and others more commonly at large clubs or events in Canada and the US. I think it REALLY restricts their market and adoption rate. This one feature added to serato would clobber traktor as far as market share goes, and if they could integrate key finding and semitone pitching, they'd blow away mixvibes and just about any other competitor on the market.

I'm sure they know this too, so I suspect it HAS got to have something to do with hardware partners.
Code:E 9:39 PM - 25 August, 2015
My question to everyone here is how would you like to see midi clock implemented?
Remember we have 2 or more deck playing, all at potentially different tempos. Without using a controller with sync (and that assumes your beat grids are perfect), how would Serato know which deck to pick up the MIDI clock from?

I would you want 4 MIDI Clock outputs and a MIDI channel broke into 4 sections and depend on where in the channel it was would tell you which of the 4 decks is currently your "Active" deck. I dont even know if that is possible but thats what i would want. Or replace MIDI clock with 4 SMPTE Clocks.

Other may want 1 clock output, that the user picks which deck is clocking.

On controllers you could get the clock on the master out. But that doesnt help DVS or HID users.

how would you guys want to see MIDI out work? I dont see Serato adding it until the user base agrees on how they want it to work.
amplogik 6:11 AM - 26 August, 2015
Well, that's a good question, but just like choosing a channel that FX go out on, it would be nice to have a collection of 4 midi source buttons. We're all almsot universally going to be mixing at the same BPM or a divisor, so to some degree it doesn't matter all that much.

In SSL / Bridge, you loaded the ableton time tick track into one of your decks and it sent from there. That would be good enough for me. I could put it on one of the 4 decks as my tempo deck and if the midi tick came outta that, I could sync Lightjams / DMXIS or send my VJ a reference clock over the network.

The loading of a time tick track ala The Bridge's way of doing things also lends itself to the natural turntablist method of doing things, but would be easy enough to work with on something like a NS7ii or DDJ-SZ or whatever.

However, even if I could just turn on "Send midi time from currently selected deck" or had buttons to select which deck... wouldn't really matter. All those approaches would seriously kick arse. Just being able to send a sync signal to a partner based on ANY current beatgrid would seriously rock.

The midi sync coming outta pioneer decks or traktor are pretty much the ONLY really key advantage that pioneer's hardware solutions or native instruments have in the professional arena. Key software... it's nice, but if you have music training or can afford the 50 bux for MiK, or others, it's not that important.

Being able to sync with a lighting/DMX or partners with a midi clock with serato's much better DVS control, hardware integration and support would make the selection of platform an absolute no brainer. Serato all the way. IMHO, that's ALL they have that makes them compelling.

I'd be interested too to see how others would approach implementing it, or how they would want to mix with it.
amplogik 6:17 AM - 26 August, 2015
Oh, btw, I have a sort of workaround I use. I use waveclock to help sync with the VJ, but it's messy and not so great at beat detection real time which causes some latency. Ok for some stuff, but not great.
Fleischwolke 4:55 PM - 27 August, 2015
+1 midi clock
DJ Sonny D 9:19 PM - 27 August, 2015
Quote:
how would you guys want to see MIDI out work? I dont see Serato adding it until the user base agrees on how they want it to work.

I think the same way they sync Ableton to Scratch Live would be good.
Code:E 9:24 PM - 27 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I think the same way they sync Ableton to Scratch Live would be good.

which is done 2 ways. By clicking a button to assign control to 1 deck or by loading ableton into 1 deck.
amplogik 10:56 PM - 27 August, 2015
The ableton track is really just a timing grid, so a 'MIDI SYNC' track / beatgrid track being loaded into a deck is I think what he's getting at.

I think that would be fine. Seeing as there is a beatgrid in SDJ analyzed tracks, so my take on this, is being able to click a button like the fx assign - that selects one of the decks as the current reference clock would be my favorite, because you could do it from a controller really quickly without having to load a track.

:)
Fortyc 11:01 AM - 28 August, 2015
I do not know what you do not understand!
There is always a Beat Master from the deck of the signal to be sent out ...
As the tractor!
They succeeded ....
Fortyc 11:06 AM - 28 August, 2015
I could not wait for it ....
I changed ....
And now I'm happy ....
I do not know how long they want to play for time, but they run out at the users ....
Mr Wilks 5:13 PM - 28 August, 2015
Quote:
Hey guys,

We are keen to implement a MIDI clock.

+1
amplogik 9:32 PM - 28 August, 2015
Quote:
I could not wait for it ....
I changed ....
And now I'm happy ....
I do not know how long they want to play for time, but they run out at the users ....

I know it's been a while, but this thread is only a year old, and they are a small company that does pretty amazingly, and has top notch support, particularily compared to the lunatics at NI support that take 4 months to get back to you just to tell you to read the manual, when your question is why your serial number stopped working AND you sent them receipts, photos and video demo'ing the problem.

So give the poor guys a break. ;) I get the frustration, but consider the number of hardware controllers they gotta support now, and the speed at which they've been adding features.

I'm hopeful that we will see this one feature very soon. It strikes me that it shouldn't be onerous to implement if it just amounts to sending out a beat clock from the grid on a selected master track, but it still take hands and time to do so, something that small shops aren't always able to provide in abundance.

I do appreciate the hard work these guys do.

:)
farrell 11:01 PM - 28 August, 2015
And then there was light.

Watchwww.youtube.com
amplogik 11:41 PM - 28 August, 2015
I mentioned above that I'm using waveclock, which is the same type of thing. it's an ok workaround, but not so great at music with a lot of vocal frequencies or high end.

You can do the same with Motu MIDI Expres, Kaoss Pad 3, MIDIPal, and a ton of other external beat counters with midi out. The problem is that they have high latency, and are frankly wildly inaccurate for mixing. Fine with studio work where you can line things up after the take, or for live lighting, but not great for live audio or DJ work where you have a rich frequency band or are playing in front of a noisy crowd.

There is still a solid case for it being supported in the software.

As I said, waveclock is my workaround. Takes some setup, but it's cheap and the kids love it. ;)
Big Pops 4:20 PM - 20 September, 2015
Its hard to think that Serato thinks that midi clock is not that important .The decission making people better start listening to its users .
With Pioneer DJ getting into the full software business i am quite sure the midi clock send and receive would make it into RekordBox sometime in the future.
With Traktor 3 around the corner and Traktor could already send and receive midi clock ,the rumours that Maschine and Komplete would be integrated into Traktor 3 .
Serato has a lot of re thinking to do and catching up.
DJ today don't just want to play MP3, they want to do live mash up with external sources and midi clock send and receive is a must.I like lots of users like Serato UI and the programme itself thats why I use Serato DJ, but like others if i want a feature and i am spending my money i would go where i could get what i want.
Look how long we been asking for the BRIDGE in Serato DJ.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:51 AM - 21 September, 2015
Quote:

How would this work for you guys : MIDI Clock is treated like a 'fifth deck' i.e it has basic playback controls, a Sync button, independent BPM control, a metronome and a offset slider. That'd do the trick nicely, right?
DJ Compiler 2:54 PM - 21 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

How would this work for you guys : MIDI Clock is treated like a 'fifth deck' i.e it has basic playback controls, a Sync button, independent BPM control, a metronome and a offset slider. That'd do the trick nicely, right?

That would work. It would also be nice if you could have its transport linked to a deck. So if I hit pause on the deck it'll pause there as well and if I hit play it'll resume playing.

I would prefer being able to link the transport to a deck but I would be happy with a 5th deck option too. We just want it soon.
Code:E 4:58 PM - 21 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Never even thought of doing it like that. But I like it. That would be the best idea I have heard of yet.
DJ Sonny D 5:03 PM - 21 September, 2015
Quote:

How would that work with a Rane SL2? Would you have to give up 1 deck to be able to send clock?
Code:E 5:10 PM - 21 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

How would that work with a Rane SL2? Would you have to give up 1 deck to be able to send clock?

MIDI out was never meant to be sound out of any sound card. It would all be in software. If you wanted to send it out of your computer you would need your own MIDI adapter.
Will08272 5:28 PM - 21 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe it is just me, but this question/response read as this is what we may do (can neither confirm nor deny) it but what about that. We will be looking out waiting.
DJ Sonny D 5:32 PM - 21 September, 2015
Yeah, I get that. I guess I need to be more clear.

Where would this "fifth deck" fit into a 2 deck set up like with the SL2? I guess I am just confused as to how we would control this deck. Another midi controller mapped to it's controls? I'm thinking of how The Bridge can be loaded onto one of your decks in Scratch Live but if you have SL2 you give up one deck to be able to control Ableton. Does that make more sense?
Code:E 6:02 PM - 21 September, 2015
Quote:
Where would this "fifth deck" fit into a 2 deck set up like with the SL2?

Same place any other 2 deck rane controller. Like all of there mixer. But are you talking about the GUI? I would assume MIDI clock would be just another tab like Serato Video, effects or the Rec tab. At least thats where I would want it and it would make thew most sense.

Quote:
I guess I am just confused as to how we would control this deck.

Quote:
i.e it has basic playback controls, a Sync button, independent BPM control, a metronome and a offset slider.

Kinda answers your question right there. How would you personally control it. I'm not sure. But I would MIDI map it it to some external MIDI controller. Or if I used a DJM mixer I might use something like the fader start buttons to tell it which deck I would want it synced too. Find an extra knob on my on my controllers for manual BPM and and extra slider for offset. Maybe an extra button for manual tap in.
I would also assume there would also be some keyboard short cuts for those who like that idea. I personally hate keyboard shortcuts, as I try to touch my computer as little as possible.
Quote:
I'm thinking of how The Bridge can be loaded onto one of your decks in Scratch Live but if you have SL2 you give up one deck to be able to control Ableton.

Not at all. If you wanted ableton to work you would not see ableton inside serato like you do with SSL and the bridge. You might want run a 2nd (or 3rd) monitor for for ableton to be displayed. Ableton would sync in software to Serato MIDI clock. It wouldn't be perfect but thats MIDI's fault not serato or ableton. But the bridge was far from perfect also so you not missing anything. As for audio, if you have an SL2 you would need to use the computers sound card for ableton audio out or a 2nd USB sound card for abletons output. Exactly the same way the bridge works currently. Then you would also want a 3 or 4 channel DJ mixer to mix the ableton audio in. This is all how you want it to work. And up to the individual. Nothing serato or ableton would set in stone.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:13 PM - 21 September, 2015
Quote:
That would work. It would also be nice if you could have its transport linked to a deck. So if I hit pause on the deck it'll pause there as well and if I hit play it'll resume playing.

Yeah this is the only downside to this design : you can't instantly start/stop the MIDI clock and deck(s) at exact same time, but instead you Sync/Play them as individual decks. Still very easy but it is a limitation. Perhaps we can think of something to achieve this use-case too.

Quote:
Where would this "fifth deck" fit into a 2 deck set up like with the SL2? I guess I am just confused as to how we would control this deck. Another midi controller mapped to it's controls? I'm thinking of how The Bridge can be loaded onto one of your decks in Scratch Live but if you have SL2 you give up one deck to be able to control Ableton. Does that make more sense?

What Code:E said is correct. Think of it as another deck in Internal mode. You can MIDI map it to your hardware if you like, or use your mouse or keyboard shortcuts if we find some that make sense to use. You wouldn't have to give up a deck you would just DJ like normal, and the audio from Ableton would just come out of Ableton like normal either through computer speakers or a soundcard if you're routing it through one. The main thing here is that the Ableton set will be Synced to SDJ, so you just use everything like normal (more or less) but it's synced together :)
Code:E 11:40 PM - 21 September, 2015
@Logan D

FYI, I know a lot of guys who want MIDI clock for a ton of other things. Most don't want it for ableton. I know I wouldn't use it for ableton. I want it for Lighting and Video Syncing. Just want to make sure the tech building this know that it's not just for ableton users. Lots of guys want it for there drum machines and other hardware so they can play more live equipment.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:42 PM - 21 September, 2015
IF we were to do MIDI clock then yes it would work with other applications/hardware too. Ableton is what a lot of people would want to use it with but that doesn't mean we wouldn't ensure it worked with other things too :)
Big Pops 11:59 PM - 21 September, 2015
Logan D we have the SP 6 sampler , why not design it in such a way that the sample deck could be used for this function, for example the ability to load a AU plug in into a sample slot with a synth and send midi clock to the synth or drum machine for live purposes. Also that same slot can be used to send midi clock to external instruments .
Not sure if this is practical , but just a thought.
maarawoe 7:43 AM - 22 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

another controls to map? No thanks.... Why there can't be a simple button to assign the midi out to a deck which would just simply generate the midi out according to the playing track's grid? Why there can't be a global tempo to send the clock and to lock the decks to (if the sync is required)?
Honestly I don't want to mess with it or need to have some additional controls mapped... That another deck sound too overcomplicated to achieve a ridiculously simple task...
Mr Wilks 12:43 PM - 22 September, 2015
A global tempo is how Traktor does it and on the S8 it'd one knob in the middle to control the entire set. Everything follows.

I like how sample decks and FX all follow that one master.
maarawoe 1:03 PM - 22 September, 2015
Quote:
A global tempo is how Traktor does it

IMHO the most straightforward and uncomplicated way....
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:25 AM - 28 September, 2015
Quote:
another controls to map? No thanks.... Why there can't be a simple button to assign the midi out to a deck which would just simply generate the midi out according to the playing track's grid? Why there can't be a global tempo to send the clock and to lock the decks to (if the sync is required)?
Honestly I don't want to mess with it or need to have some additional controls mapped... That another deck sound too overcomplicated to achieve a ridiculously simple task...

You wouldn't necessarily have to map a whole bunch of controls to use it, you could just put it in Sync and hit play, then it would sync up to your DJ set all night. If we did as you suggested and just assigned it to a deck, how would you play only the MIDI clock track? What if you wanted to play something in Ableton first for example, and then bring in your SDJ tracks later? I guess you could eject a SDJ deck and hit play to start the Ableton audio but that's a bit messy. Also you would need to update which track it's assigned to throughout your set - if you took a deck out of Sync to scratch or change tempo you'd have to assign the MIDI clock to another deck, right? Whereas if it was just in 'Sync' as I proposed you wouldn't have to do anything, you would just take a deck out of Sync, and your MIDI clock deck would not change and would stay in Sync with the other decks. Hope that makes sense it gets kinda confusing lol

There's no wrong answer, this is why I'm curious to discuss with you guys :)
Odinuk 10:55 AM - 28 September, 2015
One of the problems with Traktor and Live is when Live requires to be synced to the first bar of your set.

Live does sync when you start it at the same time as your set but if you need to change stuff up in Live it's a tough job to achieve whilst in the middle of that set and trying to play your set of chords over the top of everything because the chances of syncing with Traktor again seems like a game of roulette.

I've had better success beat matching logic pro X and Serato DJ than trying to get Live and Traktor to play nice through a whole set. Logic is so glitchy though and can't cope when running Serato at the same time on my machine so it's a deal breaker.

I'd like the clock to be anchored to my master sync deck
I'd like to be able to toggle/hide the clock like the SP6 player or record features.
I'd like simple transport controls, play, stop, sync.
I'd like to see the master BPM/SMTPE.
**When I start my external I want to sync properly with my DJ set and stay in sync**

Hope this is helpful.

O
Dj Nyce 7:41 PM - 28 September, 2015
I think this is being made more complicated than it has to be. Serato just needs to send its internal clock out to the operating system. There should be a main midi clock out and if the user wants it to make one deck the master, then the clock would adjust to that deck.

Load deck a, midi clock is synced to that deck. MIDI output is same as deck a. Load deck b. MIDI clock is still using deck a. Hit a button a deck b, midi clock is now using deck b.

If you unload a deck, midi clock will switch to the other deck. If both decks are unloaded, then midi clock will continue at the last tempo (or stop).
Code:E 8:20 PM - 28 September, 2015
Quote:
I'd like to see the master BPM/SMTPE.

If serato is going to add MIDI it would be a shame to add it without giving us a next level feature like SMTPE. I really hope they add it.
Mr Wilks 12:34 AM - 29 September, 2015
Quote:
I think this is being made more complicated than it has to be. Serato just needs to send its internal clock out to the operating system. There should be a main midi clock out and if the user wants it to make one deck the master, then the clock would adjust to that deck.

Load deck a, midi clock is synced to that deck. MIDI output is same as deck a. Load deck b. MIDI clock is still using deck a. Hit a button a deck b, midi clock is now using deck b.

If you unload a deck, midi clock will switch to the other deck. If both decks are unloaded, then midi clock will continue at the last tempo (or stop).

THIS.

With added transport for internal mode.
Pete Input 6:41 AM - 29 September, 2015
Logan D.

How about syncing 2 SDJ's together (with beatgrids)?
Code:E 6:25 PM - 29 September, 2015
Quote:
Logan D.

How about syncing 2 SDJ's together (with beatgrids)?

Me and a buddy where just talking about this. We where hoping for it. But with us both being open format DJs and changing BPM's drastically many times a night, wonder how well it could possibly work. Again the issue is how and where midi clock come from and what serato deems as master track. Plus we have both had issues with sync. We find it very limiting and leave it off well in the club. But we figured the only way for 2 computers to link would be with sync taking control.
amplogik 6:54 PM - 29 September, 2015
I don't think you'd need sync. Take a look at how traktor does this. The "active" track sends out a bpm, or you can get a bpm count from the main, or one of the 4 decks. It just transmits this midi clock, and you can sync other software to it.

In serato terms, this would be like seeing the ableton track info on one of your decks using the bridge in SSL. No sync required.

Now if you wanted to completely automate the whole thing, so that a DJ wasn't even required, you could set up sync, have the whole thing done by computer, and then...

At some point, it gets a bit ridiculous trying to automate stuff as clearly the human factor is really important when performing live. Reliance on sync is one of those things I find. It causes more problems than it solves frankly as far as I am concerned. I too can't trust it in the club, and when you have computer to computer sync and the complications that brings, including latency, well... sounds like it wouldn't be that useful unless you'd prepared everything ahead of time with the other dj or sound source, and there really is no substitute for being able to mix and match by ear.

But, if you have a midi send, I don't see something like this being hard to implement, and I'm sure someone could use it. I think it might be dissappointing however.

I used the bridge in SSL to time sample drops from live, and to use live then in turn to control lighting. In those cases, you don't need perfect timing, or can easily adjust your platter to line things up as they drift, no sync required.

Buy hey, if sync floats someone's boat, or they have a play style or music selection that lends itself well to it, I say go for it. But I suspect that with latency in midi, that synch wouldn't work too well with platter control. I mean, how would you even choose which computer to use as the clock source when syncing two computers? Seems dodgy to me.

I mean, that's why classic midi setups for gear usually have seperate clock modules so everything can use the same clock. Two computers sounds like a mess synch wise.
Big Pops 4:39 AM - 30 September, 2015
Logan D

Here is an interested article by djtectools on how to sync Traktor and Maschine.

djtechtools.com
Dioxide 9:22 PM - 3 October, 2015
+1 for MIDI Clock out.

I'm doing some experiments with Traktor and Reason, running the audio from Reason into Traktor via Soundflower so that I can use Traktor's mixer for the sound.

It would be good if MIDI out could be treated as a deck on a hardware controller.
Dioxide 9:24 PM - 3 October, 2015
(along with a push-pull pitch bend function for the Clock output if possible)
Code:E 4:26 PM - 4 October, 2015
So the Rane 62 can do MIDI clock output, what is limiting serato from doing it?
Mutis Mayfield 12:18 AM - 7 October, 2015
I think t aktor has the main transport module some of you described under the metronome tab. In addition to deck master clock and sync.

I find interesting the attach/detach decks from master tempo deck... But I agree with the clock external source or turntable (noisemap) as "timecode" (ala bridge). The main drawback with bridge was the innability to scratch clips but this could be achieve with sampler/flip like remix decks. Implement a main deck with transport and PLAYLIST (as master channel in ableton) which could be used to set master cues to flip song parts and pseudo automation (quantized launch) could be really useful to human performing and clock/syncing useful tasks.

Think in decks as players. You have regular ones (maybe stems implementation in future), sampler ones (with loop options like remix decks), video as deck, midi deck (clips to trigger external hardware or daw/host plugs under own risk) and whatever you could imagine. All switchable from vinyl control and cappable of being slaved from the master deck/playlist (new mixtape).

It makes sense? ;)
Daniel Hartmann 3:11 PM - 8 October, 2015
Well midi clock would be nice!!

Is there a midi port on the rane SL 2, 3 or 4 interface? I don t think so, while NI interfaces are equiped with midi in / midi out port (NI Traktor A10, or NI Komplete Audio 6);

I have been using traktor and rekordbox for years and was curious if I was able to transition from Traktor to Serato, but without a midi clock, Serato won t be able to replace Traktor, so sad about that :S

For me, it would also be enough if there was a virtual midi so I can slave my Maschine as well als Ableton Live into a Master Midi Clock. Hope dies Last.
SAYEH* 8:45 PM - 8 October, 2015
This would be perfect to sync visuals that are programmed using Max. A lot of DJ/producers use Traktor or Ableton for this reason. PLEASE add that functionality!
SAYEH* 8:46 PM - 8 October, 2015
It doesn't even need to entail MIDI in/out ports, just add that ability to make it a slave or master to another piece of software.
Daniel Hartmann 11:22 AM - 9 October, 2015
exactly, thank you, I am completely with you!
Code:E 5:50 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
Is there a midi port on the rane SL 2, 3 or 4 interface?

No but if you use a Rane 62 Mixer (and I assume other rane mixers) Then you get a virtual midi port.... That doesn't do me or alot of other users any good.

But I did try MIDI out on a buddy's 62 and amazingly well to sync abletons midi clock to it. So there's hope, it just takes a drive form Serato to make it happen.
Daniel Hartmann 10:45 AM - 11 October, 2015
using a pioneer djm 2000 nexus and don t think I will ever give it up for anything else :D
I could also use the integrated midi clock from the nexus, but with this setup, I am afraid I can not use the DVS Function of the Rane SL interface, because I need to choose my nexus as sound device in the software, CDJ 2000 Nexus in HID Mode as well, but no timeocde.

Or am I wrong? Don t think so that it would be possible to use the Rane SL Interface as sound device in serato, going into the nexus as external mixer, using the nexus midi clock to sync (for example maschine or ableton) to the Rane interface. (or to the incoming channels from Rane on the nexus)

This causes a complete madness in my head, maybe you can help me with that ;) I won t give it up Serato, as I mentioned before, hope dies last :D
Code:E 7:28 PM - 11 October, 2015
Quote:
Or am I wrong?

I'm not exactly sure what you your asking. But I think your wrong. The MIDI clock on the DJM will always work and be readable by any software no matter how you use serato and and what ever sound card you use.

Quote:
Don t think so that it would be possible to use the Rane SL Interface as sound device in serato, going into the nexus as external mixer, using the nexus midi clock to sync (for example maschine or ableton) to the Rane interface. (or to the incoming channels from Rane on the nexus)

I should really read the whole post before responding. Ya you wrong. You totally can do that.
Code:E 7:29 PM - 11 October, 2015
You can't cant link the MIDI clock back into serato, but there no poinbt to that anyway. But you can send the midi clock out from your mixer to ableton without issue. I have done it lots before.
Daniel Hartmann 8:18 PM - 11 October, 2015
well I think I am going to test this in the next few days, but I am quite sure that I still need to wait for the serato internal midi clock to make it all working together as master and slave.

Will let you know if I was able to get it working. Thank you, have a good one.
deejdave 8:31 PM - 11 October, 2015
I'd say you will be able to send whatever the mixer is sending in terms of midi. That being said this will not work as the Rane 64 or DJM-900SRT where the beat grids information itself is being communicated thus creating seamless midi sync capabilities.
Code:E 4:16 AM - 13 October, 2015
Quote:
I'd say you will be able to send whatever the mixer is sending in terms of midi. That being said this will not work as the Rane 64 or DJM-900SRT where the beat grids information itself is being communicated thus creating seamless midi sync capabilities.

Yes this....

On a non serato mixer you will be relying on the mixer beatclock. It's not instant updating like a serato mixer will be. That may work for you, or may not. I'm not sure what kind of show your trying todo.
Daniel Hartmann 1:54 PM - 13 October, 2015
okay so I really need to change my hardware (Mixer from DJM2000 Nxs -> DJM 900 SRT) or otherwise wait until the software midi clock will be integrated into the software.

Shame on you Pioneer and Serato for making life even more difficult :D :D :D Guess there are many people out there who would like to use Serato with Maschine Studio or Ableton. Make it work please, and you will be my Hero :D

Thank you and have a good one Code:E & deejdave!
x GAP x 10:40 AM - 19 October, 2015
At the moment any form of midi sync out would be good
Mighi 4:52 PM - 22 October, 2015
thats true a 5 deck would be a great idea just for midi clock and we tap or write the bpm we want sync with metronome or without it , just a tool to sync serato with external devices such ableton or anything, i do it beat matching with ableton but is too tricky and messy to do it flawlessly. just for example traktor has remix decks its a great tool but cant beat ableton for too much good reasons. and honestly sp6 its just for drop samples but not loops.
Marc Löffler 1:56 PM - 23 October, 2015
+1
CJ DJ 6:11 PM - 5 November, 2015
+1

5th deck with sync button so that it would sync to active deck on the fly, it does not need to have all bells and whistles the other decks have so it would be lightweight.
JammyTodger 2:32 AM - 11 November, 2015
I think it has now become essential to have the option to link together different pieces of equipment and brands of software.

Whether it be to sync with your favourite DAW or to hook up an extensive lighting rig it can only aid in the ability to be creative. That's what it's about after all!

I have to say that I am delighted with SDJ 1.8 with its new GUI and epic key shifting ability. You guys are doing a knockout job, its running fast and stable.

I think if you were to enable the option for multiple screens and the midi clock sync function that you have discussed above SDJ becomes untouchable!

+1
karbo 5:11 AM - 11 November, 2015
2 usb ports on a sl4 yet nobody thought it might be a good idea to midi sync by now?
dj dylan 4:52 AM - 12 November, 2015
Yes Please!! Bring on the MIDI. I'd like to drop in my Aria Set-up. Playing it 'Live' right now, which works, but syncing would give me more time to play the instruments. People are telling me to switch to Tracktor, which AIN'T gonna happen. Playing Ableton is an option that doesn't really appeal to me either as I want my decks kickin'. I'll be patient; I know you guys will bring it, hopefully soon. Thanks!
systembounce 11:58 AM - 12 November, 2015
PLEASE give us a midi clock out. I want to send timecode to FOH to sync pre-programmed lighting moves with tracks.
janisfreimanis 2:18 PM - 16 November, 2015
Quote:
PLEASE give us a midi clock out. I want to send timecode to FOH to sync pre-programmed lighting moves with tracks.

+1
Ugly Sounds 9:16 PM - 16 November, 2015
+1 Just used Rekordbox Performance and was playing with the sequencer. I had no clue how much I wanted midi clock in/out !
Mackle 6:29 AM - 20 November, 2015
Ableton Link anyone?
Code:E 6:31 AM - 20 November, 2015
Quote:
Ableton Link anyone?

what hardware are you using?
Mutis Mayfield 12:18 PM - 20 November, 2015
I strong believe Ableton Link has its foundation in some part of the code developed for the bridge sync protocol but... it is only an assumption. No true facts.

OTOH it could be possible for Serato to implement LINK support (in addition to midi clock of course) but once again it makes necessary somekind of "Master Sync" control feature in SDJ.

At this moment the steps are coming one by one but SDJ is still not external syncing friendly which is maybe a bit mandatory everyday goes.
Mardy J 4:25 PM - 20 November, 2015
I'd like the MIDI clock as an output so that the FX on the Allen & Heath Xone DB2 match the BPM. I'm sure there are plenty of other mixers and FX units can also take a MIDI input for timing as well.

I know they auto detect, but they do this on the fly, whereas Serato has the advantage of pre-analysing tracks so should be more accurate. (Especially true with any break-beat based music)
DJ Zewolfy 2:55 PM - 30 November, 2015
+1
Will08272 1:54 PM - 3 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Ableton Link anyone?

what hardware are you using?

It is something abelton has made for developers to include in their apps to allow wireless syncing that is supposed to be alot better than the midi api's from apple and the such, mostly aimed at iOS apps but im sure other apps will be updated to incorporate it.
Code:E 7:54 AM - 4 December, 2015
Dammit MIDI output with be dam useful in this moment. I just made a breakthrough with my Video Setup. Figured out a new way to sync effects clips in Resolume to BPM. It's going to give my Clips a new amazing look all on time..... Oh but wait I just bought a DDJ-SZ and wont be using a DJM mixer anymore, which fucks me because I could steal current BPM info from the DJM mixer.... Now I get shit..............

Come on Serato!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is more important than adding a streaming service nobody asked for. PLEASE GIVE US MIDI CLOCK OUTPUT!!!!!!!!
Dj Nyce 6:32 PM - 5 December, 2015
this is like the most requested feature since 2004. sad really.
AKIEM 9:53 PM - 5 December, 2015
Quote:

I remember requesting it in 2004
Daniel Hartmann 11:09 PM - 5 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I remember requesting it in 2004

I remember when they implemented this function into traktor :) By the way, I have another question: I am new to serato, just got my SL 4, yet not connected.

When I open Serato DJ, there is a grey "Midi" Button in the upper right corner, next to the "Setup" Button. Could that be or become the future midi clock option?
deejdave 11:12 PM - 5 December, 2015
Already functions as the gateway for custom mapping devices.
Code:E 12:00 AM - 6 December, 2015
Quote:

Even More requested than the Video-SL update..... And that only took 3 years.

All jokes and ball busting aside, Serato Come on!!!!!!!! This thread must be top of the features all the time!!!

We even discussed possible ways todo it. Can we not get this added to the list for the next major update?
Code:E 12:05 AM - 6 December, 2015
Does anyone have any other solution.

The MIDI clock from the DJM800/900/2000/ effects section was close enough for me as far as syncing visuals with MIDI.

Does anyone know of a free app that analyses audio and create's MIDI clock from it?
x GAP x 6:04 PM - 6 December, 2015
Quote:

From what iv seen from serato the best way to get midi clock out is to NOT want it....

[quoteCome on Serato!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is more important than adding a streaming service nobody asked for. PLEASE GIVE US MIDI CLOCK OUTPUT!!!!!!!!
Exactly.......
deejdave 6:34 PM - 6 December, 2015
Just my opinion but I doubt making false claims like "nobody asked for streaming music support" is all that necessary. TBH it is almost as bold as saying nobody asked for Midi clock. While I agree midi clock is VERY important and I also agree it has been asked for longer than streaming support the fact remains there is a HUGE margin of people who asked for streaming support and are still looking for Spotify support. Furthermore streaming support wasn't even a reality for ANY dj software until Djay added Spotify integration.

Type Spotify, Apple Music, Whitelabel, Deezer, streaming, etc. into search and you tell me if this falls into the category of something "nobody asked for".....................
AKIEM 6:43 PM - 6 December, 2015
Quote:
Does anyone have any other solution?

Back before the bridge or My theory was to create a QTZ file running in Mix Emergency which would send MID or otherwise a way for other programs to sync. I tried twice but couldn't quite get it to work.

But I became convinced Serato should simply make BPM, Cue1, and Key available in whatever protocol.

Anyway Im assuming SDJ was built with midi in mind while SSL wasn't.

I can't explain how disappointed I am about the bridge because I was going through Ableton to sync Reason and could have synced anything.

As much as I am in favor of midi, IMO syncinc SP6 should be the highest priority. I have no idea why it didn't have at least bpm matching from day one. If that had happened and been developed the whole Bridge situation might have been unnecessary.

Eh
Code:E 10:29 PM - 6 December, 2015
Deejdave. I bet you are right I never once looked into streaming. I also never see anyone talking about it in area's outside the feature request are. I honestly look at streaming as a hack/amateur way of doing things. It feels very Virtual DJ to me. And I like Virtual DJ a lot, used it for years. But I don't look at VDJ as pro software either. That may be an old school mentality. But it's just how I see. I would never trust a service like that.

I also tend to ignore features that I wouldnt see pro's in a non mobile setting use. Again I know it's not really "right" to think like that. But I don't focus on things that don't pertain to me. I help lots of guys with advanced MIDI mapping setup, and very techy setup usually involving Video or ableton in some way. I dont see anyone in the real world ever using or wanting streaming service. But I do see 100's of reasons and people wanting and needing MIDI CLOCK.

I always viewed Serato as the Pro software used in a pro setting with pro feature sets. MIDI clock out would be a great pro feature where i see streaming as not.

Anyway back to the point at hand MIDI clock, Serato get on PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! The pro's need this!!!!
Code:E 10:30 PM - 6 December, 2015
Quote:
As much as I am in favor of midi, IMO syncinc SP6 should be the highest priority. I have no idea why it didn't have at least bpm matching from day one. If that had happened and been developed the whole Bridge situation might have been unnecessary.

I dont disagree here. With beat grids it should be possible. VDJ has had this for years and years.
AKIEM 6:41 AM - 7 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I dont disagree here. With beat grids it should be possible. VDJ has had this for years and years.

yeah - I don't want to hijack the thread, but I simply can not understand why at the least matching bpm was not added from the beginning because the SP-6 is not like a 'sample trigger' device, its more like 6 extra decks on internal. But imagine being able to load it up with loops - but not have to adjust the bpm for each one - would have been sick.

I used to think they weren't doing it because people (me) were so anti-sync. sigh
Mr Wilks 7:07 AM - 7 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yeah - I don't want to hijack the thread, but I simply can not understand why at the least matching bpm was not added from the beginning because the SP-6 is not like a 'sample trigger' device, its more like 6 extra decks on internal. But imagine being able to load it up with loops - but not have to adjust the bpm for each one - would have been sick.

I used to think they weren't doing it because people (me) were so anti-sync. sigh

As long as it's not in DVS mode you can sync your loops in the SP-6 by saving a loop then dragging to an empty slot. It will play the loop and in sync.

As DVS doesn't yet have smart sync then the option won't show but for controllers sync is there in the SP-6.
maarawoe 9:00 AM - 7 December, 2015
Quote:
Ableton Link anyone?

Not implementing Link would be the biggest dickhead decision Serato would make so far...
Can't imagine simplest implementation than using the ableton's provided link sdk....
There is no place for closed ecosystems any longer these days - people making/playing music want to benefit from different technologies working together.
AKIEM 2:05 PM - 7 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As long as it's not in DVS mode you can sync your loops in the SP-6 by saving a loop then dragging to an empty slot. It will play the loop and in sync.

As DVS doesn't yet have smart sync then the option won't show but for controllers sync is there in the SP-6.

Which is cool and a needed feature, but also a ridiculous way to have to load samples just to get them to sync.
Daniel Hartmann 2:30 PM - 7 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Ableton Link anyone?

Not implementing Link would be the biggest dickhead decision Serato would make so far...
Can't imagine simplest implementation than using the ableton's provided link sdk....
There is no place for closed ecosystems any longer these days - people making/playing music want to benefit from different technologies working together.

I am not quite sure but as far as I read on the Ableton HP, this new Link by Ableton will only sync multiple Ableton Instances running on several PCs via WLan... there are also some Apps for IOS / Android, mostly by Korg, which will be able to sync the IOS App to Ableton: "People make music using a range of instruments, so Link helps you play together using a range of devices. A growing number of iOS apps will soon have Link built in, which means anyone on the same network can play them in time with Live. Or you can play Link-enabled apps in time with each other, even without Live in your setup."

"...Hop on to the same network and jam with others using multiple instances of Live – Link keeps everyone in time. Anyone can start and stop their part while others keep playing. And anyone can adjust the tempo and the rest will follow. No MIDI cables, no installation, just free-flowing sync that works..."

Correct me if I am wrong with that, but this Link will not be the probably most wanted Feature in this Forum, as long as Serato is not going to implement this one into the software. Regardless to that, this would only make SDJ synced with Ableton, what about the owners of NI Maschine Studio? Or Korg EMX? These devices need to be synced via Midi Cable, so this Link will be useless for those. Right?
maarawoe 3:36 PM - 7 December, 2015
Quote:
These devices need to be synced via Midi Cable, so this Link will be useless for those. Right?

It was meant that when/if serato decides to finally implement the midi clock, they should consider to implement the link as well. The context of the function is the same and it shouldn't be much additional overhead to implement this coming feature... Majority of the people want to sync the ableton and Link should make it painless without messing with some virtual midi ins, outs and timing.....and for the rest, there should be the old, good midi clock....
Mr Wilks 4:22 PM - 7 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Which is cool and a needed feature, but also a ridiculous way to have to load samples just to get them to sync.

I totally agree. I hate having to save the loop (switch into loops tab in extended view) then drag the loop into a free deck. It's so clumsy. As soon as this gets fixed I'll be happy.
Daniel Hartmann 10:22 PM - 7 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
These devices need to be synced via Midi Cable, so this Link will be useless for those. Right?

It was meant that when/if serato decides to finally implement the midi clock, they should consider to implement the link as well. The context of the function is the same and it shouldn't be much additional overhead to implement this coming feature... Majority of the people want to sync the ableton and Link should make it painless without messing with some virtual midi ins, outs and timing.....and for the rest, there should be the old, good midi clock....

Agreed. Good, old Midi, you shall survive to sync another day :D
AKIEM 2:01 AM - 8 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I totally agree. I hate having to save the loop (switch into loops tab in extended view) then drag the loop into a free deck. It's so clumsy. As soon as this gets fixed I'll be happy.

I can't even imagine adding that work flow...

Should be able to make a loop and hit one button which sends that loop to the next empty slot on the SP6.

I suggested exactly that way back when SP6 was still beta . I have no idea why that functionality has never been implemented. I thought it was an obvious need.

Theres a bunch of simple functions which would leverage some huge advantages................
AKIEM 2:08 AM - 8 December, 2015
MIDI - one of the greatest inventions ever.
(thats what happens when companies say fuck it and adopt a common protocol - probably a communist plot)
Mutis Mayfield 12:36 PM - 16 December, 2015
There are maxforlive devices which sync midi clock to incoming audio (even an old vst called in-time). Also there is posible to sync volcas by audio (recording/simulating the signal they send at "sync" conector and loading into sdj). It is possible to do it with the cv2midi converters (modding your volca with midi out is the cheapest option IMO) like rolands or even the korg seq-thing with multiple cv, sync signals... Or even the old soundbyte (midi) sampler.

I believe this was pointed early in the topic for those who need a solution just right now. Go for it.

In the software realm of "coding" it is possible from the maxforlive devices (now standalone with max7 which become a host itself) to qc or even arduino/processing or raspberry pi kamikazes.

Back to topic and serato:
Serato could implement midi clock, midi sync, and midi input (full) but it seems they are lost with rekordbox release (which in the next March expecs to be compatible with all the Pioneer hardware) and it should release something actualized innovations at next Messe/Namm to stay relevant or could be buried by Pio/NI fight.

Vinyl front is no more the wargame.
For desktops => Live producing
For tablets => mobile djing (take a look to the new djay ipad pro app)

Tic tac tic tac...
Dario Freije 12:10 AM - 22 December, 2015
+1 for Midi Clock Output
I use DMX to control the Lights at the beat of the music, and send Midi Clock from Traktor to Freestyler DMX. I can't use Serato because it don't have Midi clock output!
Daniel Hartmann 7:08 PM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:

Back to topic and serato:
Serato could implement midi clock, midi sync, and midi input (full) but it seems they are lost with rekordbox release (which in the next March expecs to be compatible with all the Pioneer hardware) and it should release something actualized innovations at next Messe/Namm to stay relevant or could be buried by Pio/NI fight.

Vinyl front is no more the wargame.
For desktops => Live producing
For tablets => mobile djing (take a look to the new djay ipad pro app)

Tic tac tic tac...

Completely agree, I have just been testing Rekordbox still regarding it as a Beta, but they are coming up with almost weekly updates and they seem to be very couraged to get RB running asap, especially with all the Pioneer Equip. I also heard about DVS Support for Pioneer Products coming soon, even for the DJM 2000 Nexus there s a good chance to get supported by RB.

I was just about to transition from Traktor to Serato, only thing which made me waiting to do that was the midi clock. Now, the new RB Software seems to be a real alternative, although it seems to be some kind of serato clone, but will hopefully support most Pioneer devices.

Maybe Serato should really work on that midi clock, because it would give SDJ an advantage compared to Pioneer RB.

Merry Christmas.
deejdave 3:12 AM - 24 December, 2015
Quote:
Tic tac tic tac

Hope this isn't a clock because if it is I am afraid it may be broken LOL.
x GAP x 9:38 PM - 24 December, 2015
Once the serato clone (Rekordbox) gets all the bells and whistles of other Dj software which is not too far off, I think there will be a lot of Pioneer users moving over to Rekordbox.
Pioneer already dropped Traktor once they got what they needed, i can see Serato getting dropped too.
Mutis Mayfield 5:55 PM - 26 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Tic tac tic tac

It is a bomb. Tic tac are the sounds used in spanish to emulate an old clock. Oh, the irony...
Code:E 8:16 PM - 26 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Tic tac tic tac

It is a bomb. Tic tac are the sounds used in spanish to emulate an old clock. Oh, the irony...

Never would have known that. I dont think anyone outside of Spain would either. Tik Tok is the sound a clock makes.
Mutis Mayfield 9:09 PM - 26 December, 2015
Thanks for the translation mate... and merry X-mas!
deejdave 12:44 AM - 27 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Tic tac tic tac

Never would have known that. I dont think anyone outside of Spain would either. Tik Tok is the sound a clock makes.

Lol never knew that either. You would think the device going tic tac on the bond would be a clock anyways. Ok prob best we stop talking about this on the internet lmao!!!!

Ps. Gotta go. There is a bunch of suited up dudes in black escapades at my front door!! :)
Mutis Mayfield 12:25 PM - 27 December, 2015
Serato midi clock

www.google.es
Mr Wilks 1:26 PM - 27 December, 2015
Yup.

People say different things for animals too.

Ask a Lithuanian what a rooster says in a morning. I was dating one and she used to make me laugh with it all as they actually do differ.

It reminds me of the Family Guy where Stewie has the Eastern European show and see toy...

youtu.be
deejdave 5:55 PM - 27 December, 2015
Quote:
Yup.

Ask a Lithuanian what a rooster says in a morning. I was dating one and she used to make me laugh with it all as they actually do differ.

It reminds me of the Family Guy where Stewie has the Eastern European show and see toy...

youtu.be

I Remember that one!! "The cow goes shazoom!!" Watchwww.youtube.com

@ Mr. Wilks. PLEASE tell me you are a Fam guy fan?? I knew there was something I liked about you.
maarawoe 6:28 PM - 28 December, 2015
Quote:
Once the serato clone (Rekordbox) gets all the bells and whistles of other Dj software which is not too far off, I think there will be a lot of Pioneer users moving over to Rekordbox.
Pioneer already dropped Traktor once they got what they needed, i can see Serato getting dropped too.

Yes. Seems to be only a question of time. Pioneer does have a very strong ecosystem and is the one who is setting the world hw standard. Their part in taking over the software part of the market will be very easy as they are the only one (surprisingly) who can truly offer the all in one (sw + hw) integration for the gear you meet in the booths all around the world. If they don't screw the dvs, I guess many users will move the RB.
deejdave 8:58 PM - 28 December, 2015
I don't think true DVS users will move to RBDJ any faster than than did SDJ. It's not like a great working DVS Serato DJ experience is hard to come by if it is wanted. IMO they will stick to SSL for the foreseeable future. Let us not pretend DVS users are known for their spending habits or being on board with anything "new"......................... just my guess is all.
Mr Wilks 2:57 AM - 29 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Yup.

youtu.be

@ Mr. Wilks. PLEASE tell me you are a Fam guy fan?? I knew there was something I liked about you.

Confirmed! Gotta love a chuckle over some Fam Guy :)

The girl I was seeing said roosters say "kickery-kickery-cooo!" where as I was ribbing her saying it was "cock-a-doodle-do!".

I think that Fam Guy gag perfectly illustrates it and brought the memories flooding back to one summer season in Greece!
Daniel Hartmann 6:57 PM - 30 December, 2015
Well I don t think that Pioneer RB will have that feature very soon, here is a Link to the Pioneer forum:

forums.pioneerdj.com
deejdave 9:58 PM - 30 December, 2015
In all fairness that is in regard to Rekordbox while peeps here are talking about Rekordbox DJ.
Mutis Mayfield 10:05 AM - 3 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Yup.

youtu.be

Family guy is Universal. :V
deejdave 5:10 PM - 4 January, 2016
It's a way of life for me. Haha happy New Years guys!!
AKIEM 4:22 PM - 6 January, 2016
So here is an idea for midi. Maybe its not feasible but..

SDJ sends 1 midi channel.
(Maybe including midi clock which starts at the beginning of the session and can be restart.)

The midi is synced to the deck which is playing determined by the cross fader position.

When the cross fader is in the center the midi sent is a mid point between the two decks. For example if the difference between the beat grid of the two decks is 100 milliseconds then the midi beat sent is from the 50 milliseconds point between. And if the cross fader is 1/4 way it would send a midi beat at 25/75 milliseconds (just throwing numbers out)

For scratching there could be a threshd which ignores rapid movement. Or there could be an overide button which locks midi to the current deck.

This would give a smooth transition for one midi channel.

And even if it wasn't fantastically smooth, it might work ok for the midi channel to simply lock to the deck determined by the cross fader position. But make the midi sync transition take time to sync to the new deck. So it would take several seconds to be in perfect sync with the next deck. That would be less complicated.
Mutis Mayfield 4:35 PM - 6 January, 2016
Maybe with quantize function and only for locked decks? It could be fun to perform ;)
AKIEM 4:42 PM - 6 January, 2016
I guess that could work for four decks as well. midi simply syncs to the deck playing determined by the xfader.
Code:E 6:24 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
The midi is synced to the deck which is playing determined by the cross fader position.

Stopped reading right there. I hate cross faders. I'm no sctrach dj so I never use it. Hell I'm about to remove mine from my DDJSZ since I never use it and want the space.
Code:E 6:25 PM - 6 January, 2016
Just busting balls though AKIEM . Its very cool Idea. I think the idea of a dedicate MIDI deck thats can be synced to any deck is better but your idea gets lot cool points in my book.
AKIEM 7:10 PM - 6 January, 2016
LOL!

I actually thought about that too. But didn't bother to mention that it could be linked to the up down faders the same way... then started thinking about four tables.... And so on...

But, just thinking this through I really do think it would work if the midi just followed the playing deck. But the rate at which it changed speed to match the new deck be governed, even adjustable.

The main issue is a jerky transition, just make it smooth.

That would ne two added buttons if even. One to control the rate of change (speed up / slow down) and one midi clock restart.
Code:E 7:33 PM - 6 January, 2016
Quote:
The main issue is a jerky transition, just make it smooth.

That is a huge problem.

work around wold be to use sync and have perfectly beat grid tracks. I even dabled using sync for about 45 min live last saturday. I fucking hated it. it complted things needlessly. On a controller where you can just set the BPM and is its right sync is usless. But for those guys who know how to use it they could let the master sync control the music.

When one track stops though the MIDI clock shouldnt jump to the other track.... Actually awesome idea just had!!!!!!!!!!

Ok deck one is playing and midi is synce a new se tof hash marks (maybe green in colour) overlay on the beat grid. This green set tells you MIDI is linked to that deck and playing at the point (like we said before you would have midi clokc deck controls so you could pitch bend it off of the playing track if you like). Now you start another track on another deck!!!!! MIDI is still on the dekc one. You mix over and stop deck one, but the green hash marks still keep moving at the rate the other deck was (maybe they change colour now, maybe purple). You now can see where the midi clock ticking. Now you have the option to jump it in place to the other deck even if it doesnt line up with track 2's grid or you have the option to jump it over and sync it to track 2's grid.

Or lets add new skinny section between the wav forms and put a beat grid which is the MIDI clock, And it colours to the Decks colour!!

Dammit Serato I giving you gold right now!!!!!!!!!!! Look at these great idea's
AKIEM 5:10 AM - 7 January, 2016
Gold.

Well my theory is to make it transparent or behind the scene as much as possible.

I don't want to be thinking about it all really, just make the connection and it syncs.

The other thing is (course your grid would have to be set) i would love if it had nothing to do with sync at all.

So imagine deck 1, you mix in deck 2. Its slight fast no sync. When the xfader is over the midi speeds up to match. Its just not imediatly it smoothly accelerated to the new speed.

You wouldn't even need anything on the screen, maybe a clock readout....
Code:E 6:01 AM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:
. Its just not imediatly it smoothly accelerated to the new speed.

I was thinking with this though you will need to resync most softwares back to the 1 wont you?

I think my idea would have the same issue from time to time too.
Quote:
You wouldn't even need anything on the screen, maybe a clock readout....

That is true.

Or serato could one up us and somehow to SMPTE.
maarawoe 12:08 PM - 7 January, 2016
Quote:

I actually thought about that too. But didn't bother to mention that it could be linked to the up down faders the same way... then started thinking about four tables.... And so on...

And how about all those, who are using SL2,3,4 etc.? - no information about what fader is up or down is there.... This makes no sense as long as its binded to some position of something somewhere....
Traktor and Pioneer came with the idea of master and synced deck (what is a proof of concept) where the midi clock is synced to the master deck OR both decks are synced to a master clock which is sending the midi clock - why Serato and everyone here wants to reinvent the wheel so desperately?

Anything else is unreasonably complicated.
Oh yes - there is also the Link....
Code:E 5:21 PM - 7 January, 2016
There is no master deck isn serato and I dont htink anyone likes that idea. Also that would require us to use sync which sucks. So I like the idea of a MIDI deck that cn be linked to any deck you want.
AKIEM 5:48 PM - 7 January, 2016
Yup but, good point about the SLs. The precedent I think is with Serato Video. You would need a different switch to tell midi which deck to sync to without a midi fader.

But the whole point is the ability to use midi without syncing the decks together.

And adding a master control deck to SDJ seems like the most complications and trouble

I think all the daws and etc. I use can be set to loop. That could be an issue, but it should work most of the time.
Code:E 11:08 PM - 7 January, 2016
I keep forgetting not everyone on here is a Video Guy. I was about to be like well SL boxes or not it shouldnt matter you will have your faders mapped..... Oh wait non-video guys on here.

I really wish serarto would sya something again. Not just another "we are considering it" Or " We would like to implement this in the future". We dont want lip service we want important useful features. Not more bells and whistle to draw in amateurs.

I can't even begin to think the cool shit the true artist would come up with if they could like there daw's, MPC's, Machines, and other MIDI gear to a live DJ!!!! The youtube videos would be AMAZING!

Just to note anyone using a rane mixer at this point, the MIDI clock point is moot, My buddy has a 62 and we MIDI synced some video shit and Ableton stuff to his mixer which figures out MIDI clock for it's builtin effect. I dont know if it's using audio or if it's actaully taking beat grid info, but it's fuck deadly actuate and updates instantly with pitch changes. I loaded up my old bridge set, and let him play some tracks and ableton and Resolume linked in time good enough for a live performance.
AKIEM 11:33 PM - 7 January, 2016
Dope.

I used to sync ableton to reason which was cool... But my real interest is in syncing outboard gear...

I can't even explain...
AKIEM 1:58 AM - 8 January, 2016
SSL -> Ableton -> Reason

My vote is for:

1. ONE midi channel

2. Cross Fader determines which deck midi syncs to. Or a button.

3. Variable amount of time it takes to unsync from one deck to sync to the next.
djBooker 7:34 PM - 19 January, 2016
+1 MIDI Clock IN/OUT. Such a simple to implement and useful function.

I guess Traktor will be the choice ...again.
Odinuk 1:00 PM - 22 February, 2016
Has anyone actually tried the external sync with Traktor? Maybe it's my setup but it's not stable and never ever maintains tempo with an external source.

This actually works with serato and my denon mc 6000 mk2 controller. Pitching up a down is not a stable experience. wavesum.net

For now I use a tr-8 as a master hooked up to aa couple of synths and ableton. Eventually I'll stop using Serato just because it's becoming redundant for me as a performance tool which is a shame because the user experience is nicer for me than Live or Traktor.

I'm not a turntablist so maybe it doesn't matter, I do an improvised DJ/live set and it would be great to continue using but it's no big deal to switch depending on what works for me.

It's a same that it hasn't been implemented but if it can't be done in a stable matter it's not worth the effort.
AKIEM 5:28 PM - 22 February, 2016
Odinuk, thanks for that link.
amplogik 8:27 PM - 22 February, 2016
I found waveclock to be wildly inaccurate, and crashing constantly. I don't think it's a realistic solution either for control surfaces that are also your serato licence key.

The BeatSeeker in live is better, but that's a hell of a lot of money to spend just for midi sync, when this really should not be that hard to code. Choose a reference channel, and output the beatgrid as a clock. Seems pretty straight forward. In fact, compared to the complexity of midi for controllers, this is a no-brainer, and I say that as a programmer.

The fact that they haven't done this yet, when it is standard across the industry is nothing shy of insane. It either is just not a priority for them, or they deliberately are avoiding it.

Whatever the reason, I think they should look at it soon, before the new offerings from Pioneer, Mixvibes and Traktor eat their lunch. Hell, even Mixxx has some support for it in the latest betas.

This is a critical missing piece to their offering, and speaking as a serato fan, I gotta say this is the one thing that is embarrassing when trying to extol the virtues of serato to new DJs.

I really, really hope that they look at this again, or consider fixing the bridge and bringing it forward soon. Because in the studio, I am finding that I'm using SDJ a lot less these days except for pure vinyl sessions.
AKIEM 8:50 PM - 22 February, 2016
Yup, Ive been saying for years that this should be a super easy to make feature.

What I was planning to is see if I could use this with Mix Emergency and Quartz to send amidi signal. Several times I came close to making a Quartz Composition to send MID, but there was always an issue preventing. But maybe I could send a pulse from ME/QTZ to Waveclock to get a solid MIDI signal.

...and yes WAAAAAYYY too complicated for what should be a simple feature
x GAP x 5:53 PM - 26 February, 2016
We may have to presume this topic is dead seeing as the last time serato made a comment was June 2014.
Daniel Hartmann 12:23 AM - 27 February, 2016
In my opinion, with Rane still not having OSX El Capitan Support (having SL 4 Box for 6 months without using it a SINGLE time), Serato is almost dead.

RBDJ is making its way on the market, with much user feedback and almost weekly improvements, once this software will be stable think this one will make its way to the Top 3 DJ Softwares.

Not dealing with a huge amount of requests which has been made over the years and years again was a big mistake. Now Serato will have to pay the price for their ignorance. I am about to sell my new, unused SL 4 device so far, can t believe that I couldn t use it a single time, so ridiculous, such a shame. Shame on you Rane, Shame on you Serato. Continue to disappoint yours remaining users and you will be discontinued very soon.
Dj Wunder 9:06 PM - 27 February, 2016
Oh snap! Some guy I never heard of is selling his SL4! Is this the end of Serato???

No but in all serious, you bring up a strong point
freshadon 7:31 PM - 16 March, 2016
+1 for midiclock.
I use SSL The Bridge, hoewever not to perform beats, but for a plug in that i use live (a simple Siren with Ableton's echo effects on it).

I midi map the two SYNC buttons in the Bridge that sync's the current deck BPM to Ableton, so when i hit my siren on, the echo tail follows the current BPM...sounds very very good.

For this to work in SDJ i had to map a tap button and constantly tapping the button, and also i have to switch screens to check if the tempo is close to those on the actual Deck. Too much work......

+1 for midi clock so that Ableton can capture the BPM from SDJ easier.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 11:16 PM - 20 March, 2016
Thanks for all your +1s, thoughts (and patience) on Midi Clock in Serato DJ.

It's a very high priority to get an external clock into Serato DJ. As the first step I'm gathering info from DJs who use the feature about exactly how they want to use it.

We'd really appreciate 5-10 minutes of your time to fill in this survey to let us know how YOU want it to work. This will have a big impact on our implementation.

www.surveymonkey.com

Thanks again from the Serato Product and Design teams.
Code:E 5:36 AM - 21 March, 2016
Quote:
fill in this survey to let us know how YOU want it to work.

Done
Code:E 9:29 PM - 21 March, 2016
I can't believe nobody is talking about this. We have been all waiting fro so long it's crazy that this post didn't ignite massive reaction.......

But let's be honest the forum have taken a massive hit in traffic (if traffic is still the same interesting posts are just not happening anymore) recently.
AKIEM 10:42 PM - 21 March, 2016
Nah, it is massive.... but what else is to say after filling out the survey?

(been led astray by questioning before tho)
karbo 3:19 AM - 25 March, 2016
is this out yet? maybe in 2020 we can have this feature.....thanks for being so far behind serato.....
Code:E 5:20 AM - 25 March, 2016
Quote:
Thanks for all your +1s, thoughts (and patience) on Midi Clock in Serato DJ.

It's a very high priority to get an external clock into Serato DJ. As the first step I'm gathering info from DJs who use the feature about exactly how they want to use it.

We'd really appreciate 5-10 minutes of your time to fill in this survey to let us know how YOU want it to work. This will have a big impact on our implementation.

www.surveymonkey.com

Thanks again from the Serato Product and Design teams.
stratoferris 2:56 AM - 29 March, 2016
Let's all do the survey and hope that give us a beta fast! I would still like to see an Ableton Clip launching view like The Bridge. But at this point I'll take anything that will send a clock signal!
Code:E 6:41 AM - 29 March, 2016
I asked for pretty much everything under the sun. In hopes I get it all but I cool if it takes a bit. Serato never seems to update anything. I rather it have lots of features from day one and take longer.
pierrelefonque 3:59 PM - 30 March, 2016
+1 MiDi CLOCK!!!!

Hi, hopefully u find all eastereggs hehe...well after a couple of years i think it's like about four years many many many users asked about midi clock implemantation...first of all i was a traktor user from day one...i went many times and switched to serato...bourght an allen & heath serato controller, a vci-400, a ddj-sx2, akai amx... the last two years i spent my time back to serato because of there massive groundbreaking update...but why the fck is there no midi clock out until now?
some users went back to traktor and now i am also thinking of this...i wanna be more creative and not only with this fcking SHiT of plastic which we bourght with serato dj licenses !!!
I wanna be able to plug ableton/AiRA tr-8/tb-3/synth in my setup...what's up with u guys???
best wishes
kind regards
Pierre
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 7:27 PM - 30 March, 2016
Hi Pierre,

It's a high priority for us to work on this, we are collecting feedback about how our DJs want to use the feature right now, if you've got the time please help us out by filling in this survey: www.surveymonkey.com

Thanks!
DeRajj 8:31 PM - 3 April, 2016
I just filled up the survey www.surveymonkey.com.
Hope we don't have to wait too long :)
Djfocus-NO 5:26 PM - 6 April, 2016
Please hurry up and fix this midi clock!! It's been years and years what is the problem? Don't you want to compete with Traktor at all??
DeRajj 6:45 AM - 7 April, 2016
Quote:
Please hurry up and fix this midi clock!! It's been years and years what is the problem? Don't you want to compete with Traktor at all??

Exactly
Big Pops 10:11 PM - 7 April, 2016
Serato better do something and start providing what their user base wants, ReckorBox DJ is catching up at a furious rate, next for ReckordBox DJ would be Video and midi sync and pioneer is already taking of midi sync issue with their new mixers which has midi sync, send and return via USD. Their new sampler would hook right into their mixer USB and everything would sync up.
Come on Serato don't make you faithful users start looking else where.
Fix your issues , its being long over due like CPU usage with Serato DJ and Serato Video, glitchy waveforms and over all sound of Serato DJ.
Its time all there issues being FIX.
Midi Sync #1 on features list with the bringing back of the BRIDGE with Ableton.
DeRajj 12:49 AM - 8 April, 2016
Quote:
Serato better do something and start providing what their user base wants, ReckorBox DJ is catching up at a furious rate, next for ReckordBox DJ would be Video and midi sync and pioneer is already taking of midi sync issue with their new mixers which has midi sync, send and return via USD. Their new sampler would hook right into their mixer USB and everything would sync up.
Come on Serato don't make you faithful users start looking else where.
Fix your issues , its being long over due like CPU usage with Serato DJ and Serato Video, glitchy waveforms and over all sound of Serato DJ.
Its time all there issues being FIX.
Midi Sync #1 on features list with the bringing back of the BRIDGE with Ableton.

I totally Agree :)
Mr Wilks 3:43 PM - 8 April, 2016
Guys... it's coming.

You've all seen Serato asking for input.on they want us to tell them how we'd use it and what we want it to do. They are currently working on it from their survey so let's allow them to get it right and without compromises.

It's coming and it won't be too long from what's been posted by the developers.

Drawings obvious comparisons to other DJ software is counterproductive. They know what we need and are working on it... Let's fill this thread with positivity and 'use cases' as negativity won't get it released any quicker. Developed won't read this and say "oh crap! Gary from Doncaster will stop using our software if we don't hurry up!". SDJ was purchased without it... anything added afterwards is a nice bonus and not a right.

Spread the love and be excited it's finally coming! Personally I can't wait for it to tie iPad apps or Ableton Live to SDJ. Maybe I'd tie the lighting desk to it too. Let's hear how people would use it and what for!
Big Pops 6:18 PM - 8 April, 2016
It would be nice if you could sync iPad apps to it via the USB cable, that would be sweet.
Mr Wilks 6:21 PM - 8 April, 2016
Quote:
It would be nice if you could sync iPad apps to it via the USB cable, that would be sweet.

Definitely. If we could use the Launchpad app or Mixvibes Remixlive it would be amazing. USB MIDI would rock.

Maybe even if Serato launched their own SP-6 app that would be cool.
Dj Wunder 10:18 PM - 9 April, 2016
Quote:
Guys... it's coming.

You've all seen Serato asking for input.on they want us to tell them how we'd use it and what we want it to do. They are currently working on it from their survey so let's allow them to get it right and without compromises.

Drawings obvious comparisons to other DJ software is counterproductive. They know what we need and are working on it... Let's fill this thread with positivity and 'use cases' as negativity won't get it released any quicker. Developed won't read this and say "oh crap! Gary from Doncaster will stop using our software if we don't hurry up!". SDJ was purchased without it... anything added afterwards is a nice bonus and not a right.

Spread the love and be excited it's finally coming! Personally I can't wait for it to tie iPad apps or Ableton Live to SDJ. Maybe I'd tie the lighting desk to it too. Let's hear how people would use it and what for!

Well said
Big Pops 5:17 PM - 10 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Guys... it's coming.

Well said

They asking for input now because they realize the clock is thicking and it doesn't look good from them
geoguide 6:40 PM - 10 April, 2016
Quote:
Guys... it's coming.

Thanks! I'm excited for this feature. I'm just learning Serato and Traktor, but I think I'm going to go Serato for now because I don't need 4 decks, and some of the crazy interface stuff that Traktor does, but I do want to sync to ableton because that is what I'm most knowledgeable about.

+1 !
Mr Wilks 7:56 PM - 10 April, 2016
Has anyone tried the new Ableton Link function?

I'm on Live 8 so haven't played with it yet. I wondered if anyone would use it in Serato DJ?
Code:E 9:07 PM - 10 April, 2016
Quote:

I'm on Live 8 so haven't played with it yet. I wondered if anyone would use it in Serato DJ?

I dont think it is possible to link it to serato............. Yet
Mr Wilks 9:54 PM - 10 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I dont think it is possible to link it to serato............. Yet

Oops... I meant in general. Has anyone tried it with Ableton Live 9 and Ableron Link supported apps on the iPad? If so, what's it like?

I like the concept and I'm pretty sure latency is super low or Ableton wouldn't have released it.
Big Pops 12:09 AM - 11 April, 2016
Its super sweet, sync like a dream, LOVE it
Mr Wilks 12:14 AM - 11 April, 2016
Quote:
Its super sweet, sync like a dream, LOVE it

I'll have to update to Live 9 and give it a go. I hear good things. Would be great if something like that could be incorporated into SDJ.

I just realised all my posts have the worst spelling errors in them. I really need to proofread what I write when I'm tired and not paying attention. Haha!
Marv Incredible 8:17 PM - 11 April, 2016
^^ Woolsey can help you out there! :p
Mister Ries 7:14 AM - 12 April, 2016
I have been using Ableton link for a while (used the public beta) and am pretty impressed by it. The syncing is really tight! You can even sync hardware with the help of an iPhone or iPad. I have even ordered a new multi input soundcard to record live back into Ableton.
Dario Freije 8:08 AM - 23 April, 2016
Midi Clock Please! I use to sync my DMX lights!
Mutis Mayfield 7:30 PM - 23 April, 2016
After long time waiting some "news" about the whole clock/the bridge issue and looking at survey it points me some "wonders" and facts (related to my workflow, not fact = gospel truth)

- I feel to myself avoiding the desktop/laptop software (including traktor including live) to cheaper and well focused apps like djplayer/djay and modstep/loopyhd/garageband.
- The questions about Ableton Link makes me think there is no more partnership anymore between Serato and Ableton. This is a mesh because I strong believe the code rear ableton Link is upgraded the Bridge sync (based in transport more than midi clock calculation, near to OSC in wifi, timestampping messages, multicast...) and I hoped somekind of special upgrade at desktop platform starting from Serato due their partnership. I feel discouraged at this point.
- When Serato the Bridge was released I pointed how it will be a fail due to complexitiy in setup, price in pieces (ableton license, rane hardware) and how the Ms. Pinky and maxforlive will do what most users expected (until remix decks and now stems which are the implementation of the best features of Ableton plus vinyl control)
-Pioneer broke with NI and they are leading the market. It seems over Serato fails and slow adaptation to analog revival (volcas, airas, modulars...)
- Apple contribut in all this mesh being so slow with their updates too (from iPad air which should be iPad pro stopping djing apps being ported to iOS at full level to Intel dependency at desktop chips and Ivy Bridge issue plus OSX updates which seems are like the PPC>Intel era...) but recently make a step very important to iPad users. With the new iPad pro they have released a new lighting to usb adaptor with iPad CHARGE (aka game changing).
- Serato is lost in time. If they need to ask userbase at this point is because they don't know where are their users looking and where the market is. Sad very sad...

So instead answer a survey with makes me feel out of the place, maybe I could bring the opinion of where the future is bring us in dj terms. Almost for those of us who are leaving the desktop to iPad (no other tablet, not surfaces neither) and maybe devs could take some profit on this.

As possible user of Serato (I was ITCH user and fan of Serato Video, V7 and the idea behind the Bridge) I will need a Serato iPad app not remote one. Full one more or less like djplayer.
Also I will love to see a true mixtape functions, automation record (includding scratching for mixtape and learning purposses like TTM) or if not then focus in smartmixing (stems or eq compression like djm2000) and things like that.

These things maybe make me thing return to djing in the "classic" way, meanwhile I enjoy more with live looping composition (loopyhd, modstep and now garageband) and feel "scratch factor" or A>B mixing (even with flip) less and less attractive.

Maybe I'm getting old badly :/

Addedndum:
Finally I leave the game. I uploaded all my dj related resources to digitalvertigo forums and selling my mac mini due I left the idea of coding my own solutions (maxforlive nor embed solutions with arduinos, raspi or so)
If I need to dj in the future I will go straight forward with ipad with proper adapter and usb midi controller but not feel myself looking back never.

Best wishes,
Mudo.
stratoferris 6:53 PM - 25 April, 2016
Did somebody give the guy before this post some Jonestown Kool-Aid???? What is he babling about? Go buy an iPad get Pyro and you can deejay better you ever were! The rest of us will wait for midi implementation with so sort of sanity.

Quote:
After long time waiting some "news" about the whole clock/the bridge issue and looking at survey it points me some "wonders" and facts (related to my workflow, not fact = gospel truth)

- I feel to myself avoiding the desktop/laptop software (including traktor including live) to cheaper and well focused apps like djplayer/djay and modstep/loopyhd/garageband.
- The questions about Ableton Link makes me think there is no more partnership anymore between Serato and Ableton. This is a mesh because I strong believe the code rear ableton Link is upgraded the Bridge sync (based in transport more than midi clock calculation, near to OSC in wifi, timestampping messages, multicast...) and I hoped somekind of special upgrade at desktop platform starting from Serato due their partnership. I feel discouraged at this point.
- When Serato the Bridge was released I pointed how it will be a fail due to complexitiy in setup, price in pieces (ableton license, rane hardware) and how the Ms. Pinky and maxforlive will do what most users expected (until remix decks and now stems which are the implementation of the best features of Ableton plus vinyl control)
-Pioneer broke with NI and they are leading the market. It seems over Serato fails and slow adaptation to analog revival (volcas, airas, modulars...)
- Apple contribut in all this mesh being so slow with their updates too (from iPad air which should be iPad pro stopping djing apps being ported to iOS at full level to Intel dependency at desktop chips and Ivy Bridge issue plus OSX updates which seems are like the PPC>Intel era...) but recently make a step very important to iPad users. With the new iPad pro they have released a new lighting to usb adaptor with iPad CHARGE (aka game changing).
- Serato is lost in time. If they need to ask userbase at this point is because they don't know where are their users looking and where the market is. Sad very sad...

So instead answer a survey with makes me feel out of the place, maybe I could bring the opinion of where the future is bring us in dj terms. Almost for those of us who are leaving the desktop to iPad (no other tablet, not surfaces neither) and maybe devs could take some profit on this.

As possible user of Serato (I was ITCH user and fan of Serato Video, V7 and the idea behind the Bridge) I will need a Serato iPad app not remote one. Full one more or less like djplayer.
Also I will love to see a true mixtape functions, automation record (includding scratching for mixtape and learning purposses like TTM) or if not then focus in smartmixing (stems or eq compression like djm2000) and things like that.

These things maybe make me thing return to djing in the "classic" way, meanwhile I enjoy more with live looping composition (loopyhd, modstep and now garageband) and feel "scratch factor" or A>B mixing (even with flip) less and less attractive.

Maybe I'm getting old badly :/

Addedndum:
Finally I leave the game. I uploaded all my dj related resources to digitalvertigo forums and selling my mac mini due I left the idea of coding my own solutions (maxforlive nor embed solutions with arduinos, raspi or so)
If I need to dj in the future I will go straight forward with ipad with proper adapter and usb midi controller but not feel myself looking back never.

Best wishes,
Mudo.
Mutis Mayfield 8:18 PM - 25 April, 2016
Don't worry I sold my mac mini just few minutes ago.

Make a search about me at forums to understand where come from all the "blabla".

Good luck and see you guys!
-m!
DJCY 4:22 AM - 4 May, 2016
+1 midi clock, or ability to trigger (send midi notes out at cue points, so control of dmxlights is possible with DMXIS)
CJ DJ 5:00 PM - 10 May, 2016
+1 MIDI for 2nd Serato Slave Unit with option of slave becoming master
+1 MIDI cloc for TR8
+1 MIDI for DMX
djBooker 10:31 PM - 12 June, 2016
+1
Answered survey to help.
Big Pops 11:50 PM - 12 June, 2016
Lets see what Version 2.0 will bring
deejdave 1:04 AM - 13 June, 2016
Quote:
Lets see what Version 2.0 will bring

Version 2.0 of the survey???? ;) LOL
Marv Incredible 1:09 AM - 13 June, 2016
Having been using Mix Emergency in stand-alone mode recently, I've been sending MIDI clock from the Mixer(s) to M/E in order to sync the video and FX. What I've noticed is that of course, none of these mixers are reading any beatgrid information from the tracks themselves because they're working off purely audio signals. This means the FX and sequences don't sync up to anywhere near the degree they need to for synchronization plus automation. They're in time, but they're not in-sync.

IIRC, MIDI clock doesn't / can't send location data which is where MIDI Timecode comes in. My question then is, is adding MIDI Timecode something you're already looking at or could look into as part of the MIDI clock work?

I know SSL/SDJ already gives out this info to apps like M/E but if it could send it over MIDI too it would open more powerful and professional options to someone like myself who is trying to control lighting and visuals and sync with external audio.

With location data for example, I can program different events to happen when different cue points (positions) are triggered. I already do this now for things that can listen out for MIDI commands but this has to be triggered by an action. If the audio merely passes the cue marker, nothing happens. It'd be interesting to see what could be done in this way with with devices that are only reading MIDI clock / Timecode.

I wonder too, what creative ways SDJ could be controlled when running the MIDI clock the other way around? Will it finally be possible to sequence and trigger events such as cue points etc through a DAW? (I've experimented with this before and got it to work already but it was a bit cumbersome -- and it's something Ikeep finding myself wanting to come back to).

So yeah, if possible:
MIDI Timecode +1
MIDI Clock IN +1

And if it can't or won't work, please help me to understand why. I'm genuinely curious.

=)
Mr Wilks 9:32 AM - 13 June, 2016
Fantastic Marv.

I'm with you 100% on this. MIDI timecode will definitely help with this issue and belive it's what Denon has in the works with their new lighting and video software that's coming this summer.

I hope it's not their own engine software that's doing it but one that can be shared with Serato too.
x GAP x 11:20 PM - 15 August, 2016
June 25th 2014 Serato wrote
Quote:
Hey guys,

We are keen to implement a MIDI clock. Have you tried using MIDI clock with other software that supports it? How do you find using it?

Can't be that Keen.. LOL
crispycloud 10:20 PM - 16 August, 2016
Is there any update on progress here? Any sort of update (even "we don't know") would be helpful at this point.

Honestly any sort of midi sync output (even the most basic, simple thing that you could implement), would be a huge step forward for syncing with Ableton, drum machines, and lights, which is what so many of us have come to expect when performing live.
AKIEM 5:32 PM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
June 25th 2014 Serato wrote
Quote:
Hey guys,

Can't be that Keen.. LOL

lol

MIDI Clock works excellently with all the software hardware ibe used it with over the years.

Please consider the option to send it locked to loops and not just the beat grid.
stratoferris 3:25 AM - 18 August, 2016
Wouldn't it be great to sync up tr-8 to Serato? Oh forgot it can't! Can we see some sort of progress in 1.9.4 please. At this rate Rekordbox will have it before Serato😡 Just a simple start/stop button with sync button--- like what Traktor has -- doesn't seem they put much effort into that and it's been in Traktor for years. And your reason is?
Blackie Lox 11:26 AM - 18 August, 2016
I already gave up on waiting for Serato to do this. I'm hoping a plugin developer (like SoundSwitch or Inklen) can find a way to convert Serato's beatgrid information to MIDI clock.
deejdave 4:13 PM - 18 August, 2016
Being they are partners with serato I am not sure that is something they would be inclined to explore. Thing is they already use the beat grids etc for their sw so if they had interest in doing they probably already would have unfortunately. Just my guess though.
DJ Compiler 1:03 AM - 19 August, 2016
There's obviously some way to do it since SoundSwitch is doing it. Hopefully Serato is nearing completion on making it available to Ableton through a Bridgesque like functionality. The fact that SoundSwitch can follow your scratches makes me think that something more advance than a standard midi clock is at play.
deejdave 1:06 AM - 19 August, 2016
Quote:
There's obviously some way to do it since SoundSwitch is doing it. Hopefully Serato is nearing completion on making it available to Ableton through a Bridgesque like functionality. The fact that SoundSwitch can follow your scratches makes me think that something more advance than a standard midi clock is at play.

Quote:
Thing is they already use the beat grids etc for their sw so if they had interest in doing they probably already would have unfortunately

Soundswitch was the "they" as referred to the post above mine.
deejdave 1:07 AM - 19 August, 2016
Quote:
The fact that SoundSwitch can follow your scratches makes me think that something more advance than a standard midi clock is at play.

But yes I agree.
DJ Compiler 1:38 AM - 19 August, 2016
Yeah I understood what he was saying. I'm just saying SoundSwitch wasn't a lone wolf. Serato had to implement something for them to work with. I'm just hoping Serato is in a position where they can make it available to other companies who would find a use for it and not in a position where it's legally exclusive to SoundSwitch (which being a new company I doubt they have the leverage to do)
deejdave 2:11 AM - 19 August, 2016
Quote:
Yeah I understood what he was saying. I'm just saying SoundSwitch wasn't a lone wolf. Serato had to implement something for them to work with. I'm just hoping Serato is in a position where they can make it available to other companies who would find a use for it and not in a position where it's legally exclusive to SoundSwitch (which being a new company I doubt they have the leverage to do)

Ya

Quote:
Being they are partners with serato I am not sure that is something they would be inclined to explore

Definately not exclusive to Soudswitch being Inklen has access to it and Pio mixers etc have had access to the beat grid info as well. All I am saying is probably what you are saying as well. IF this is going to happen it will come from Serato themselves and not Soundswitch or Inklen as there is no gain and much to lose. No money in opening doorways to other hardware or SW (other than their own) and a partnership on the line if they were to go against the grain.

Personally I don't see why they aren't looking into getting this out ASAP. With more and more DJ apps coming out every day stability, features & hardware support/exclusives will be what defines one from the next. Serato has at least one of these pinned but why not go for all three?
djBooker 9:54 AM - 19 August, 2016
+2
DJCY 5:57 AM - 23 August, 2016
+1

SoundSwitch very disappointing for dmx control, crashes

I use DMXIS for dmx lights, uses midi from any DAW or midi output

midi clock will solve problems,

be nice if could assign a midi note to a cue point that auto triggers
I guess you could assign the cue point to a controller button, then use the output lighting MIDI sent to trigger something (DMX lights), problem all comes back to the midi clock is missing so it might not be in perfect time
Dj Spider Toronto 6:01 AM - 27 August, 2016
Don't you think maybe they would introduce something with MIDI on September 9 now that Serato and Roland are working together ???
DJ Compiler 12:27 AM - 28 August, 2016
We can only hope. I'm just hoping that it'll be something that all of SDJ users can benefit from and not just specific to whatever hardware Roland is releasing. And if it is Roland specific, something that can be easily incorporated into an existing setup both practically and financially.
Sounds By JB 7:12 AM - 9 September, 2016
Soo... will we now get Midi clock out?
AKIEM 1:08 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
Soo... will we now get Midi clock out?

smh
Atramental 5:13 PM - 9 September, 2016
Would love some sort of update on a Midi clock. There has to be something close to it out there...based on What Roland has released, on what soundswitch is doing with lighting and what Denon is doing with Stagelink too. This is literally the one feature I'm dying to get at this point! I made the switch from Traktor to Serato and I'm very happy except for that one missing option!
Ugly Sounds 7:09 PM - 9 September, 2016
Where was the Roland Midi box for Serato at today? The controller is great and all but don't make midi exclusive to the DJ-808 .
AKIEM 8:24 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
Where was the Roland Midi box for Serato at today? The controller is great and all but don't make midi exclusive to the DJ-808 .

serato.com
farrell 12:48 AM - 12 September, 2016
The controller is great and all but don't make midi exclusive to the DJ-808 .

+1
x GAP x 10:39 PM - 13 September, 2016
midi sync out isn't in the public beta so it may be restricted to the DJ-808's USB internal sockets.
Big Pops 1:18 AM - 14 September, 2016
Ableton Link added in new beta of Serato DJ, had a go at it linking it to a iOS app, works great,
deejdave 1:30 AM - 14 September, 2016
Add this to the equation and what do you have? alexander-randon.com
farrell 1:56 PM - 14 September, 2016
Happy Days.
Sounds By JB 2:36 PM - 22 September, 2016
1.9.3 is out... Can we now get midi clock
Djfocus-NO 2:39 PM - 22 September, 2016
Nope..
Code:E 4:39 PM - 22 September, 2016
I found a way to get a sudo MIDI clock out of Serato. But it requires you own and use Mix Emergency. Its actaully working better than I expected. And not only give me BPM info but also where beat 1 is as it is based off the beat grid..... If any ME users need a hand setting it up let me know.
AKIEM 5:13 PM - 22 September, 2016
Quote:
I found a way to get a sudo MIDI clock out of Serato. But it requires you own and use Mix Emergency. Its actaully working better than I expected. And not only give me BPM info but also where beat 1 is as it is based off the beat grid..... If any ME users need a hand setting it up let me know.

How are you doing that?

I was trying to get something like that working with qtz. I came very close to doing what I was trying, but didnt quite get there.
AKIEM 5:14 PM - 22 September, 2016
Isnt this moot at this point, we have Link?
farrell 5:15 PM - 22 September, 2016
YUP!
papagp 6:04 PM - 22 September, 2016
Quote:

Just waiting...
Code:E 7:36 PM - 22 September, 2016
Quote:

Assuming you wanted MIDI clock for ableton. And I for one did not. I want/needed midi clock for lighting and visuals integration. I know guys wanting to use there ni maschine, and roland gear. 0

Quote:
How are you doing that?

Well check out the the Effect Sequancer

The top of it has a step indicator. It is linked to the beat grid. Well if you go into MIDI edit mode and click on those step lights you can edit the MIDI output. Now you are getting a MIDI tick as often as you like. SO you can set every step to the smae ouptu note and map that note to tap tempo on your software. Bam midi sudo midi clock.

I have resolume curently setup to see notes form the sequancer to chnage to the next video clip every 16 beats. I'm going to also map out those todo the clock as well tonight so that I can set my clips to play to the BPM. So a clip will play in time and change in time.

I do all this for the tracks that dont have video's. And when a track has a video ME just plays the video instead.
AKIEM 8:09 PM - 22 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Assuming you wanted MIDI clock for ableton. And I for one did not. I want/needed midi clock for lighting and visuals integration. I know guys wanting to use there ni maschine, and roland gear. 0

For ableton, no. Lots of other stuff including lighting yes. But I was trying it before ME had midi out.

Quote:

Quote:
How are you doing that?

Well check out the the Effect Sequancer

The top of it has a step indicator. It is linked to the beat grid. Well if you go into MIDI edit mode and click on those step lights you can edit the MIDI output. Now you are getting a MIDI tick as often as you like. SO you can set every step to the smae ouptu note and map that note to tap tempo on your software. Bam midi sudo midi clock.

I have resolume curently setup to see notes form the sequancer to chnage to the next video clip every 16 beats. I'm going to also map out those todo the clock as well tonight so that I can set my clips to play to the BPM. So a clip will play in time and change in time.

I do all this for the tracks that dont have video's. And when a track has a video ME just plays the video instead.

Dope.

I hope/suspect or someone should put a little ap together that translates Link to MIDI.

I think a little MIDI break out box would be real good right now. There are tons of midi hardware.....
Code:E 10:12 PM - 22 September, 2016
Quote:
hope/suspect or someone should put a little ap together that translates Link to MIDI.

I feel like someone will do that pretty quick. A nice small standalone single window app to control whats linking to what would be amazing. I bet someone who nows max for live could do it in an day or 2.

Quote:
I think a little MIDI break out box would be real good right now. There are tons of midi hardware.....

RIGHT! It would be better if it was open to anyone's USB to MIDI cable, but if someone made a $50 box that allowed MIDI in/out of serato with click based on the beatgrid and deck control, that would be amazing!
deejdave 12:51 AM - 23 September, 2016
Quote:
I hope/suspect or someone should put a little ap together that translates Link to MIDI.

Guess we'll try this one again huh?

Quote:
Add this to the equation and what do you have? alexander-randon.com
deejdave 12:52 AM - 23 September, 2016
New link though alexandernaut.com
DJ Anti Hero 7:17 AM - 24 September, 2016
Nice find deejdave!!!!
farrell 1:55 PM - 26 September, 2016
or you can probably use BomeBox

Watchwww.youtube.com
YettiTechniques 6:23 PM - 18 July, 2017
This looks promising, have not had a chance to try it yet:
github.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:33 PM - 9 August, 2017
looking for a way for Serato to send bpm to Resolume.

Resolume does not appear to have Link yet.

Is there any apps that can do this on OSX?

+1 on native Midi Clock feature in Serato
karbo 10:12 PM - 3 September, 2017
Maybe on year 5 of this thread we will have a solution? Tic Toc, I'll be retired before serato makes this simple fix..
Ugly Sounds 6:49 PM - 6 September, 2017
I'm going to go with it's in 2.0 (*cross-fingers*) seems like a big enuff feature to warrant the 2.0 tag
jayneural 11:17 AM - 10 March, 2018
still not there :'( bought a TR-08, I'll have to switch to Traktor Pro for this kind of performances.
AKIEM 6:13 PM - 10 March, 2018
can't see them ever doing midi because Link (which is ass because sync)
liljm 8:37 PM - 20 March, 2018
Well, when you use Ableton Link, Ableton is possbile to send it to a midiclock software or device, whatever.
AKIEM 11:23 PM - 20 March, 2018
which would be great if AL was better implemented on SDJP.

only way you can use it now is with Sync and using it as if Ableton (or whatever Link app) is the master.

Completely useless for DVS.
Mutis Mayfield 12:23 PM - 22 March, 2018
cdm.link

Wait for it.
AKIEM 5:38 AM - 23 March, 2018
Quote:
cdm.link

Wait for it.

Thats good. But how does that fix the problem?
Mutis Mayfield 9:46 AM - 25 March, 2018
From midi clock standpoint Serato user will still need workarounds. From syncing standpoint finally the turntable could be the “Master” with start/stop/transport. With both it could be possible thight syncing between apps (link) and midi clock control over external hardware.
In fact with bomebox (when become updated with Link) or iOS device with midi sync link it’s possible ATM. Not so straightforward like native clock (which probably will drift due jitter) or Roland dj groovebox controllers but near almost.
Mutis Mayfield 10:18 AM - 25 March, 2018
Master transport from turntable but as mixing tool... don’t try to make jugglins or whatever since it will not work that way (I explained further in the other thread).
In fact that was one of the failures of the Bridge and how people expect it but Serato wasn’t aware about that necessity points us towards about the cognitive dissonance between developers and user base.
The funny side is Remix decks and stems make Mixtape/Bridge irrelevant but it’s also a fail due to nobody using it in real world.

It’s possible to make mixtapping/Bridge with Traktor and the right setup (and SDJ isn’t SSL by the way) but... would be the effort make worth the revenue?
AKIEM 4:37 PM - 25 March, 2018
Its a vicious circle of implementing things poorly or incomplete resulting in no user interest imo.

Im not sure why stop/start will allow Serato be the 'master'. It seems like serato will always be the slave as long as it has to re-engage every time a song is loaded.
(least thats how I remember it)
Mutis Mayfield 6:56 PM - 25 March, 2018
It depends on implementation but from Alink v3 notes it seems that you want (even being Serato the Master) will not work neither since all engaging is to ubiquitous link in the background. Sadly.
Big Pops 8:37 PM - 25 March, 2018
All we want is for them to add midi in and out like Traktor
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:51 PM - 25 March, 2018
I experimented with link a while back too with DVS. I was trying to link with a visual app.

I will try it again with a controller set up and see if its better.
AKIEM 1:45 AM - 26 March, 2018
Quote:
It depends on implementation but from Alink v3 notes it seems that you want (even being Serato the Master) will not work neither since all engaging is to ubiquitous link in the background. Sadly.

Right, for serato to be the master it has to stay engaged.

Ableton must have cunsulted
serato to imploment it that way making serato always the slave. lol
AKIEM 1:49 AM - 26 March, 2018
can you imagine any midi hardware ever made which constantly disingauged from syncing?

cmon man
Mutis Mayfield 7:19 PM - 27 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Right, for serato to be the master it has to stay engaged.

Ableton must have cunsulted
serato to imploment it that way making serato always the slave. lol

Yup it’s what I said about Master becoming “the beat” more than the decks. Link was developed for syncing band members so dj has to adapt to it... even when usually djs in bands are who control bpm and scene launch lol

Shame.
electro77 12:03 AM - 7 October, 2020
Can Serato be updated to cutput MIDI Timecode?
AKIEM 9:41 PM - 7 October, 2020
Quote:

doubt it will ever happen - especially because of (the poorly implemented) Link
Big Pops 9:47 PM - 7 October, 2020
Been asking g for this years now
electro77 3:08 PM - 8 October, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

Can you elaborate? I'm unfamiliar with Ableton. Is Serato in need of a core engine rewrite?
AKIEM 6:58 PM - 8 October, 2020
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can you elaborate? I'm unfamiliar with Ableton. Is Serato in need of a core engine rewrite?

I think it was poorly implemented because it requires using sync. And because they have some sort of solution they will never do midi.
Dj Spider Toronto 12:31 AM - 4 April, 2021
the best solution is to get a midi cloak mixer that works with Serato or any drum machines like TR-8 and TR-8S that sync with Serato and has its own midi cloak that fallow Serato