Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Fast forwarding a track w/ shift + platter use disabled?

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Vestax VCI-300
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
The Binh 7:09 PM - 16 July, 2012
Back in Itch 1.7 you could scrub / fast forward within a track by holding down shift and moving the according platter on the VCI300 clockwise. The playhead position would jump forward (or backwards respectively), which made it very easy and comfortable when using longer tracks. As I understand, in the software version 2.2 this behaviour has been replaced by nudging / finetuning the position within the track instead (or pitch bending while playing). Since pitch bending is already covered by rotating the platter without touching the top plate (read: spinning via the platter edge), it would be very nice to be able to choose which behaviour the shift button + platter movement will enable. Also, I think the platter resolution is high enough for usual finetuning (w/out allocating the shift button use).

Long story short:
Is there a way to enable scrubbing / fast forwarding within a track by using the shift button and platter movement again?

Thanks,
Binh.

Serato Itch 2.2 + Vestax VCI 300 MK I
DJ CAPRO 7:40 PM - 16 July, 2012
still works last I checked

same setup except I have a MKII
Serato, Support
Matt P 5:02 AM - 17 July, 2012
Hi The Binh,

This should work the same still. Check and make sure you have the firmware updated.
Let me know if you are still unable to get this working and i'll try and figure out whats going wrong,

Matt P
The Binh 9:03 AM - 17 July, 2012
Hi Matt,

I just checked and the setup information for the hardware says
FIRMWARE STATUS: UP TO DATE

0x00010003
0x0cf291f5
Version 2.2.0 (22022)

I am a little bit careful w/ updating the firmware since it once got me a stuck hardware unit (read: not reluctant, just careful)... ;)

Everything else seems to be working fine, except the fast forwarding / fast rewinding. I can also scroll through the tracks in normal speed (hence the scratch mode), but "skipping through" is unavailable. Sometimes the VCI won't get recognized by the software. But I can avoid that by remaining the connection / startup order of attaching the VCI first, and then starting Itch. Don't know if that information may be helpful.

For the record:
MacBook Pro 8,1
OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
Intel Core i7 2,7 GHz, 16GB Ram

Serato Itch v2.2.0

Vestax VCI-300 MK I
Do you need the detailed hardware serial number?

Looking forward to your reply.
Best,
Michael.
Serato, Support
Matt P 2:35 AM - 18 July, 2012
Hi Michael,

I've found out why this isn't working for you. In the newer version of ITCH, The scroll function is somewhat hidden. This is a bug and we are working to address it.
If you want to access the scroll function again, make sure you have beatgrids on your track (even if they are not exact) and that you have "Smart Sync" activated.

Let me know if you'd like me to explain this in further detail. I'm more than happy to do so

Alternatively in 1.8 it works as normal if you want to revert back.

Matt P
The Binh 9:05 AM - 18 July, 2012
Dear Matt,

thank you very much for your reply.
In the meantime I will revert to v1.8, since I prefer simple sync.
But thanks a lot for the technical clarification and for looking into that matter in general!

Hope, you can fix this minor bug within the next releases.
If not, I will come back and modestly nag you about this.
;)

Best,
Michael.

And by the way, also thank you DJ CAPRO for the feedback.
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:30 PM - 18 July, 2012
Hi The Binh,

Glad i could help, somewhat..

I'll close this thread up, but feel free to open it up anytime to remind me :)

Matt P