Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

No Playback control using linked CDJ-2000

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Sugar Ray 6:29 PM - 1 April, 2012
Hi Guys, I got set up to play last night after a guy that was using a USB key on linked CDJ-2000's and couldn't control ScratchLive via control CD's until I removed the LAN cable from both CDJ-2000's. Is there a way I can switch over from somebody playing via USB key without disconnecting the cable? Thanks in advance.
BriChi 12:15 PM - 2 April, 2012
this sounds more like a Pioneer issue with the player, Post something on their forum too
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:33 PM - 2 April, 2012
1. Why are you using timecode cds?
2. What about using the HID feature.
3. Switching: try this sequence- Live Track by USB key dj should be on the cdj with the USB key, fire up Serato and get in with idle second cdj (time code or hid), blend into that, go back to first Cdj and select time code or hid on that too.
BriChi 2:29 PM - 2 April, 2012
1. kinda irrelevant to his issue
2. pain in the ass if the cdj's are all mounted and not set up already for hid mode to start wiring up usb cables and a hub (if needed) for buggy HID control
3. thats what he is doing, the issue is the cdj will not play the cd unless he kills the ethernet link.

I have read this issue before, you are not the only one complaining about it
BriChi 2:30 PM - 2 April, 2012
same issue on the Pio forum: forums.pioneerdj.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:43 PM - 2 April, 2012
My bad then. I don't have a 2000 to start with.
Just trying to postulate. I ve got a 900 tho' I use HID all the time so I'm gonna go see if same applies.
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:52 AM - 3 April, 2012
Hey guys,

I just want to clarify this issue so I can try it out for myself.

You have 2 x CDJ2000s linked using the "LINK/ETHERNET" cable.

The USB stick is plugged in to the LH (for instance) and the previous DJ is playing a tune on the LH CDJ, and you are looking to start using the RH CDJ to play a control CD to control Scratch Live.

You now press "DISC" on the CDJ, what happens?

If any of you guys can provide me with a step by step to recreate this here it would be greatly appreciated :)
Sugar Ray 5:38 AM - 6 April, 2012
Hey all, Martin. Setup was DJM-900nexus, 2 x CDJ-2000. The previous DJ had one USB stick in the left deck with the CDJ's linked by ethernet cable. He was playing without issue. I connected my SL 1, DN-HC1000S, and my MacBook with ScratchLive 2.4.1 with brand new control CDs, and was shocked that I couldn't start playing. When I'd press play on either deck it's like the transport wants to move but doesn't - if I recall correctly it was responding to the play press with a subtle wiggle only. The first thing I did was make sure the input was set to line and not phono, it was. I tried switching between ABS/REL - no change. I tried power cycling the decks, changing the input from USB/CD etc. Nothing worked, and disconnecting the cables was the only thing I could think that was different than the last time I used CDJ-2000's and my SL1. Bingo - everything worked as normal as soon as I disconnected the cable. Cheers.
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:57 AM - 6 April, 2012
Thanks Sugar Ray. Unfortunately I am not yet able to recreate this.

Have you had this happen to you since? Or is this a setup at a club that you aren't really able to test with?

So what happens exactly when you pressed DISC on the CDJ? Did the DISC mode activate correctly? Did the control CD start playing and showed that track 01 was playing on the CDJ display?

Were you able to play an audio CD without issue?
Sugar Ray 4:22 AM - 7 April, 2012
I will try that Saturday night before I start playing if I have a chance and let you know. Cheers
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:20 AM - 7 April, 2012
Cool, try and get as much information as you can!
Sugar Ray 5:00 PM - 8 April, 2012
Good news, the problem I was having seems to be by design, and anybody that has used multiple formats with CDJ-2000's will know this. Even after pushing the DISC button when switching to audio or control CDs, you must rotate the select knob to navigate to track 1 on the Serato play disc the push the select knob to select it. The CDJ-2000 will still be using the previous format until you do. This completely solved the problem I was having and I hope it helps somebody else out there that isn't really familiar with a CDJ-2000 's and ends up using one at a gig. I didn't realize this because I am used the Tech 1200's and CDJ-800mk2/CDJ-1000mk3, have only used CDJ-2000's a handful of times, and that was the first time I had to play after somebody using anything other than control or audio CDs with CDJ-2000's. Cheers.
BriChi 5:14 PM - 8 April, 2012
I was going to walk you through that but assumed you knew you had to actually select the track to load otherwise if you accidentally hit the disc button, everything would stop
Sugar Ray 5:35 PM - 8 April, 2012
Thanks, just a fluke situation since I don't know those decks well and I have had never had to changes sources.
BriChi 5:37 PM - 8 April, 2012
yeah, I can totally understand that, there is a little bit of a learning curve especially coming from 1200's or non media type players that allow this kind of operation. Glad you sorted it out though
Sugar Ray 5:40 PM - 8 April, 2012
Cheers
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:23 AM - 9 April, 2012
Awesome that you figured it out Sugar Ray, I will close this thread up now, but feel free to post back up if you need any other help :