DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Delete files from hard drive in Serato?

dreamkast 3:03 AM - 28 March, 2012
So done a quick search got back way too many results.

Is there any way on mac to delete files not just from Serato but from the hard-drive altogether?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:35 AM - 28 March, 2012
I think it is a multi step process with Serato.

Apple+R = SHow in Finder
Control Click > Move to Trash (or drag to Trash in Finder)
Back In Serato Apple > Delete

Hopefully someone that uses Serato (no iTunes) can confirm. I use iTunes - same process but it all handled in a few clicks within iTunes
Dom The DJ 4:14 AM - 28 March, 2012
Ctrl+shift+del

The quickstart reference is available on the serato site as pdf if u dont have the original. Its handy.
Dj MacMillz 5:44 AM - 28 March, 2012
Quote:
Ctrl+shift+del

The quickstart reference is available on the serato site as pdf if u dont have the original. Its handy.

Just hit the ? Within the software and hover over it, list of shortcuts will show
L2daGee 7:25 AM - 28 March, 2012
Quote:
Ctrl+shift+del

This stopped working for me for some reason. It only deletes the file from my crates for my current Serato session. As soon as I close, and re-open Serato, all the files are back, and there is nothing ever in my Trash.
s3kn0tr0n1c 7:29 AM - 28 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Ctrl+shift+del

This stopped working for me for some reason. It only deletes the file from my crates for my current Serato session. As soon as I close, and re-open Serato, all the files are back, and there is nothing ever in my Trash.
do you have protect library enabled?
DJ DisGrace 12:39 PM - 28 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Ctrl+shift+del

Is your drive NTFS by any chance?
L2daGee 6:54 PM - 28 March, 2012
^Protect Library is NOT enabled, and my drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled)
R-Tistic 3:06 AM - 29 March, 2012
This is a good question, I'd love to delete stuff directly from Serato. I need to start clearing up space
pb 4:09 AM - 29 March, 2012
As mentioned above, delete the files from the folders they are stored in on the computer. Then open serato and rescan id3 tags. Serato will detect the missing files and they will appear as red text with a red question mark next to them. Simply highlight the missing files in serato (from the all crate) and command+delete. Done.
dreamkast 4:40 AM - 29 March, 2012
I dont want to have to go find the files lol. I wanna be able to delete from HD straight out of serato if possible.
pb 5:04 AM - 29 March, 2012
the files are not saved in serato tho, so you still need to delete the source files to truly get them off your drive. Maybe there is a way to do it directly from within serato, I have no idea what it may be tho. It seriously takes no time to delete the souce files
L2daGee 6:48 AM - 29 March, 2012
It used to work by pressing shift+ctrl+delete, but for some reason no longer works for me. :-(
s3kn0tr0n1c 9:47 AM - 29 March, 2012
Quote:
It used to work by pressing shift+ctrl+delete, but for some reason no longer works for me. :-(

it still works for me so defo summin not right yall ;)
DJ DisGrace 9:52 AM - 29 March, 2012
try checking the folder permissions where your music is stored
Dom The DJ 5:59 PM - 29 March, 2012
Quote:
ry checking the folder permissions where your music is stored

This
jepe 4:43 PM - 19 May, 2012
same here. not working anymore:(
djakinthemix 6:59 PM - 21 May, 2012
Works sometimes for me & sometimes doesn't...I hit control+r to reveal the file on your harddrive and move it to the trash,then go back in serato and delete it & it doesn't show up again.
Peasy-PZ 9:18 PM - 27 November, 2012
Same issue.
Using Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.2, Scratch Live 2.3.3 (switched back from 2.4.3) drive formatted for mac and command+option+delete doesn't work for me anymore either. At one time it did! Now, it works like command+delete. I do not have my library protected and I have "read iTunes" off (since iTunes will read from Trash). Drive permission is set to "Read & Write."
Of course reveal and move to trash works but I'd rather skip the extra step.
What am I missing?
Peasy-PZ 10:07 PM - 27 November, 2012
Ok, command+shift+delete.
Laz219 10:55 PM - 27 November, 2012
A couple of weeks back I deleted about 4 tracks from the hard drive...then it completely stopped working. No matter what I tried.
Peasy-PZ 10:58 PM - 27 November, 2012
What did you try? What are you using?
defanutley 5:20 AM - 29 December, 2012
Im having this drama too
I can use shift control delete on an old macbook but when I try this on the new macbook pro it does not seem to work
any ideas??
Davideon 8:51 AM - 18 September, 2013
Gotta bump this up. Is it possible to do this still?
Davideon 9:03 AM - 18 September, 2013
the 1.3 manual still says to press ctrl + shift + delete, but it doesn't work
eugguy 11:18 AM - 18 September, 2013
Try to Delete from "all", not from the crate. It's worked for me. But in the past few weeks I've just been pressing ctrl+r and deleting for there.
DJ DisGrace 11:05 PM - 29 September, 2013
Quote:

+1 on SSL 2.4.4

Just wasted the whole afternoon cleaning up and reorganizing crates. Must have deleted 300+ videos, and my hard drive free space hasn't budged.

This is a major pain... I basically need to start my crates from scratch on a new hard drive now in order to benefit from my housekeeping efforts.
DJ DisGrace 11:05 PM - 29 September, 2013
I was in the "all" crate, because I used ctl+F to find the videos, and tried to delete from there
s3kn0tr0n1c 11:00 AM - 30 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

+1 on SSL 2.4.4

Just wasted the whole afternoon cleaning up and reorganizing crates. Must have deleted 300+ videos, and my hard drive free space hasn't budged.

This is a major pain... I basically need to start my crates from scratch on a new hard drive now in order to benefit from my housekeeping efforts.

Have you checked the recycle bin?. If tracks are in there you then need to empty the bin for your hard drive to free up space.
RobDJ dotcom 7:05 PM - 30 September, 2013
Am I the only one who organizes my files in Windows folders THEN loads them into SSL?
DJ Boom Bap 2:36 AM - 1 October, 2013
What's a "Windows" folder?....................(trolololo)
DJ VEE 2:56 AM - 1 October, 2013
Quote:
Am I the only one who organizes my files in Windows folders THEN loads them into SSL?

No. I like to mirror my hard drive in Serato.
eugguy 9:37 AM - 3 October, 2013
I do that too. Most OCD way.
Joshua Carl 10:44 PM - 8 November, 2013
Add me to this list of shenanigans ...
serato.com

I've rebuilt crates, SeRato folders, v2files

The only thing I'm seeing is that it works still on my INTERNAL drive
But NOT in my external anymore.

Is anyone having this problem on INTERNAL drives?

This might narrow the problem if we are all on external drives

I'm goin to reformat this drive and see what happens
Joshua Carl 10:47 PM - 8 November, 2013
The drive functions excellent for everything else
It's a seagate gopro 1.5 tb

But it shouldn't come down to everyone reformatting their hardrrives
Joshua Carl 11:01 PM - 8 November, 2013
As I look more and more, there's something that REAAAALLY concerns me.
There's about 5 (probably more) threads in help, all looking for help with this EXACT PROBLEM.
And even though no solution is reached, the threads are locked!!

Not good!

I'm also curious if this is a mountain lion permissions issue
I just upgraded to ML a month ago
And boom
Joshua Carl 11:42 PM - 8 November, 2013
update.
I have 3 redundant drives.
my seagate, 1.5 TB 5400rpm fw800 (has the issue as stated)

a WD Mybook 2 TB tested 7200rpm fw800, same exact issue

a Cal-Digital AV Performance 2TB tested 7200RPM fw800, Same exact issue.

Both of these drives havent been back up since september.
so if a new file from the last few months caused this, it wouldnt have happened on the older drives.

which leads me to believe it has something to do with Serato/Mountain Lion.
clearly not the Harddrives...
Joshua Carl 11:58 PM - 8 November, 2013
sorry for the posts...

so after all that, I REINTSALLED serato2.5
unpacked the zip file and all that jazz.

we are up and running now with a functioning delete.
I wish I could report this in the bug reports....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:21 AM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:

Absolutely not.

The rest are iTunes users or ****snicker*** MAC users...
DJ DisGrace 3:22 AM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1 on SSL 2.4.4

Have you checked the recycle bin?. If tracks are in there you then need to empty the bin for your hard drive to free up space.

Yes, I have checked and double checked. The files are still on my hard drive.

Quote:
The only thing I'm seeing is that it works still on my INTERNAL drive
But NOT in my external anymore.

Is anyone having this problem on INTERNAL drives?

Having problems on my external. Don't really have much on my internal drive to test with.

My workaround is to use Serato DJ 1.2.0 to organize, analyze, and delete files. Works as expected this way. The added bonus is beat grids for ME effects.

Quote:
sorry for the posts...

so after all that, I REINTSALLED serato2.5
unpacked the zip file and all that jazz.

we are up and running now with a functioning delete.
I wish I could report this in the bug reports....

I just put SSL 2.5 on the other week. Haven't tried to delete any files since then, however. Even if I did... which Help thread would I post in? ;)
DJ VEE 2:18 AM - 21 November, 2013
Quote:
I do that too. Most OCD way.

LOL! How true. We could start a support group...
DJ DisGrace 1:07 AM - 30 April, 2014
I was having this problem in SDJ 1.6.0 (1603175), which I use to build overviews and organize files (since it's already open and loaded). I've been replacing a lot of old videos with better quality ones from VJ-Pro and Xtendamix. The files would be gone from my playlist, but if I manually searched my drive, they were still there...

The only solution I've found is to open the Trash folder in Finder, keep it open while using Cmd+shift+del to remove files from my hard drive. I can then cmd+tab quickly to the trash to make sure it's in there.

Now the next issue would be finding a way to delete all the xml and ovb files created in older versions. I find these by doing a manual search for the video I just deleted, and delete all those too. So much work, but clearing up 10GB at a time is pretty satisfying!
defanutley 3:54 AM - 4 June, 2014
Im still trying to get this to work Ctrl+shift+del
cincwest 11:37 AM - 29 June, 2014
I am having the same issue. Songs won't delete from the external drive with ctrl+Shft+Del. If I have checked the folder permissions and all and still have the same issue. Any help would be appreciated.
Joshua Carl 6:27 PM - 29 June, 2014
Delete the SeRato backup file located on your external.

It will re-create it when you close out the software.

Sadly that's the only work- around I've found
You DO have to do this over and over
DJ DisGrace 6:48 PM - 29 June, 2014
Quote:

I've had good luck with keeping the Trash open in Finder while I delete tracks from SDJ and/or SSL. I can easily check if it was deleted this way, as well.
DJ Remix Detroit 11:31 PM - 31 July, 2014
i just ran into this problem today. after running on snow leopard for 3 yrs, I finally updated to mavericks a few days ago, and i am having this same issue.

i deleted my my backup folder and that seems to fix the problem.

now I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but i had been deleting items all day with no problem, i left my MBP on the table and the battery went down to 1% and put itself to sleep with SSL open and the hard drive connected. when i plugged it into the charger, the computer woke itself up like usual and i had a notification telling me that my gdrive was not disconnected properly.

i unplugged and replugged my g-drive back in (usb 2.0) and resumed to only find that the CTRL+Shift+DEL was not working anymore.

like i said, not sure if that had anything to do with it, but i'll leave that info here just incase it might help.
westell54 9:25 PM - 8 September, 2014
I have been having this issue for a while now. The only solution I have come up with so far, is to go into the "_Serato_" folder on the drive that contains the music that you're trying to delete, and delete the "database V2" file in that folder. After you do that, you have to empty the recycle bin to permanently remove the file from your system. After that, you should be able to delete any files that you want from the software. I'm discovering that this is required each time I start the software, and I'm not the only one who has this issue. There doesn't seem to be any particular thing that I'm doing to cause this, it just seems to happen, no matter which OS I'm using (or controller).

I believe it has been reported once or twice to Serato, but to my knowledge, no permanent solution has been developed.
dj atomic69 7:10 PM - 22 December, 2014
does anyone know how to delete a file show in serrate library marked with a question mark? any help
dj atomic69 7:11 PM - 22 December, 2014
does anyone know how to delete a file show in serato library marked with a question mark? any help but delete from where is coming from and that is from external hard drive
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:27 PM - 22 December, 2014
That happens when Serato can't find the file (like when the file is on external that is not attached at the moment or you move or rename the file) = pink tracks?

If on a Mac just go Apple key + Delete I think.

You can also use the Relocate Lost Files - Watchwww.youtube.com (kinds same in Scratchlive

Kinda sucky windows tutorial??? - Watchwww.youtube.com (didn't watch all the way thru...)
dj atomic69 8:01 PM - 22 December, 2014
Well the thing is, let's say on serato it shows 60 files one of those is empty but marked with a question mark! And I go to my external harde drive and it shows 58, I put the arrow on it, it gives me the name of the file but if I erase that file from hard drive is still shows the file, and on serato shows 59 and HD 58! Any help may be!

Thanks
Trystan 4:52 PM - 23 March, 2015
Bump!

Still trying to get this to work on Mavericks for SSL 2.5
AndrewGood 3:51 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
Bump!

Still trying to get this to work on Mavericks for SSL 2.5

Go to the All folder in Serato to delete tracks. That's where it works for me on SDJ with Yosemite. Can't delete from my crates.
DJ DisGrace 10:32 PM - 17 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I've had good luck with keeping the Trash open in Finder while I delete tracks from SDJ and/or SSL. I can easily check if it was deleted this way, as well.

This still works for me
Cuervo 2:54 AM - 18 April, 2015
I had the same problem but i found a solution, i use COMMAND R then send that (first) file to the recycling bin, then back to Serato SL COMMAND+SHIFT+DELETE after that i can delete files from Serato.
Joshua Carl 1:44 AM - 7 July, 2015
Just an update

I now have mid-2015 map on Yosemite
And a new external wd passport pro THunderbolt 4tb

This is still happening
Niro 11:44 PM - 6 January, 2017
Quote:
Just an update

This is still happening
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:31 AM - 8 January, 2017
Quote:
Just an update

This is still happening

Happens to me on the regular.

How is that hard drive? I have the Lacie 2tb thunderbolt rugged, but looking to cop a 4tb. The Lacie 4TB is around €300. I've been waiting months to see if the price will drop but no movement.

I might just settle for a USB 3 version. I rarely use extra peripherals since I got the S9 anyways.

And I have a Thunderbolt bolt Hub which I can use if I need to connect more stuff.
paulsan 9:26 AM - 31 October, 2017
Hey guys Check this awesome Software LongPathTool this is so easy to use and it fixes all errors of all files and really you can fix any problem regarding to any file.