Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Download music videos?

Madfingaz 12:31 PM - 16 December, 2007
Where do you download the best music videos?
Can someboby help me with this.

Thanks!
Madfingaz 12:40 PM - 16 December, 2007
For Mac...
djsteel 12:52 PM - 16 December, 2007
two free or cheap suggestions for you, These videos are not for gigs though!!!!

download real player (latest version) after installing it, it will allow you to download videos you watch on the net, a prompt will appear in the upper right corner of the video asking you if you want to download it. (then go to www.mtv.com)

Also check out video raptor it does the same thing but you don;t need to search the web for vids just use the prog its a lot faster.

Other than that I get Promo Only Express Video, if your gonna do it professionally thats the only way to go.
Madfingaz 1:08 PM - 16 December, 2007
Promo Only Express video is that free? cus next week i have to play for 4000 a 5000 people...
DJ A Smooth 1:21 PM - 16 December, 2007
Quote:
Promo Only Express video is that free? cus next week i have to play for 4000 a 5000 people...

Nope. Def Not. Its actually pretty expensive!
DJ MDX 3:29 PM - 16 December, 2007
I get Promo Only Express and it is not that expensive considering what you get and what you can make at your events pays a whole year with your 1st gig to 1st gig 1/2.

You also get one sub with it of any of the other dvd genre's you want so I think it is great.

So for a working DJ it is not expensive at all it just may be more than some want to pay - but that lets you get to the next level and to charge more to cover your expenses.

Let me break it down some more -

4 events a month
charge 50 bucks more on each.

Guess what happened??

You just paid for your Express Video Sub 2x over and have made some more profit for what ever else you need - like that new computer ;-)

This is a very small example of how to absorb business costs into your fees and still come out profitable.
marx 3:44 PM - 16 December, 2007
one of the only quickest options that suck. if you're going to be a vj you will find yourself finding other options. Think of the hottest track when it comes out. You won't have the video from promo only for like a month....now month doesn't sound long...but in club terms a month is a VERY long time. Don't believe me?

Look at this weeks po express video:

www.promoonly.com

now yes the weekly service is the "fasest" way to get it but mane.

januarys urban promo only:

www.promoonly.com

you will find yourself better options to stay up to date in the club.

back to the days of promoting. your not really promoting with the promo only stuff...you following the lead.
DJ Lil Vito 3:47 PM - 16 December, 2007
Quote:

If you're playing for 4000 - 5000 people you should be more than willing to pay for video - like a pro.

The video and sound quality alone are worth it.

In addition, the official Video Scratch plugin won't be out until mid-January.
Madfingaz 4:13 PM - 16 December, 2007
Thanks for all the answers,
But i have to quote Vito on this one... If there is a way you can download it and not pay for it, thats good right? Not for everything ofcourse...
I'd like to test it first, before i buy it.
It's just that simple.
marx 4:15 PM - 16 December, 2007
nope
lvmez 5:35 PM - 16 December, 2007
what happened to smashvidz?
DJ MDX 7:37 PM - 16 December, 2007
Quote:
Thanks for all the answers,
But i have to quote Vito on this one... If there is a way you can download it and not pay for it, thats good right? Not for everything ofcourse...
I'd like to test it first, before i buy it.
It's just that simple.

You can download demos of video compression products and convert any videos you have presently. It will leave a watermark on the video but who cares about the watermark - your testing right??

Then once you rip/compress a couple of vids then you make an informed decision if you really want to buy it - that is if you were referring to the plug-in and not the videos themselves.
djsteel 8:00 PM - 16 December, 2007
Yeah Express video is the way to go, I solve the problem of videos I need right now ( I refer to as GAP Vids) in two ways I first hit up labels and see what they can do even if i have to hit up the art direct ly which honestly is the quickest way to get a video. Second if I don't already know someone from the label I download the video off of www.mtv.com and I get a 320 original of the song then I edit them together and here is thr cool tricky part. The video is low resolution so you need to get a still shot of a tv or something to fill up space so you can shrink the video down so it will still look high res. If you shrink the vid down to half the size you normally would play it and put in into a still picture it looks great.
Oh the third option is to always keep a bunch of video footage from movie like "Stomp the Yard" handy to lay over an audio track like my boy Kris P. for Get buck in Here which they still have not made a Video for.
If you want to do it there are ways to do it another tip is to get with a group of guys all doing at the same time a nd share content that you make it goes a lot faster.

Here is a great site to get video from www.vjpromo.com All my mashup videos are on there for download.
DJ MDX 8:32 PM - 16 December, 2007
Here is a great deal (if it is still available) from my boy DJ Jynxx which may be exactly what you are looking for. If it has expired the normal price is still a heck of great deal!

Production work is top notch!

www.prodjforums.com
djsteel 9:45 AM - 17 December, 2007
Wow how illegal is that! nice!
DJ Dan-E 12:18 PM - 17 December, 2007
I can see that site getting shut down fast. For those wanting High Quality Videos, tell me tell you this. Its not like MP3 where you can find them all over the internet. In fact you might get lucky to find a ScreenPlay or Promo Only DVD in its true DVD9 format. Chances are its probably been ripped to DVD5.

So for those that are wanting to truely get into Video, get a subscription to one of the following:
ScreenPlay
Promo Only
MixMash (UK)
also there is a site in LA that has alot of European dance hits.
One thing you will see is for those of us who have PO and ScreenPlay.......we dont give them out to others. Why would we want to help out the competition. You will find out in the Video realm, that just like in music, the more Videos you have the chances of landing a gig is going to be better (I am assuming everyone here is a good dj).
Oh, and its gonna be alot of work as well when you get your Videos. You need to rip them to format. I rip mine to .vob (No loss) than you have to rename the files. There are utilities out there, but it is alot of work. I have over 2TB worth of videos, and spent many hours. I sure wouldnt just hand them over to someone.

So spend $300-$360 (I think prices went up) a year for a PO or SP membership. You get a disc a month unless you spen $100 month with PO and get a disc a week. However for the most part its worth it. They are working on trying to get service up to where you can d/l videos that you want. Its all about licensing.

Oh and for those that are ripping MTV and BET........yeah its looks great on your video screen, but wait until you play it on a projection screen (Gonna look like crap) and not to mention, your going to have that MTV or BET logo on your video.
Culprit 12:42 PM - 17 December, 2007
WWW.MY12INCH.COM has all the latest hip/hop videos. Tell em Dj Culprit sent you (user id: edwardbobadilla) They are all in mp4 format and downloadable and its only $50 a month. They have tons of video's on there.
nik39 1:14 PM - 17 December, 2007
Quote:
Tell em Dj Culprit sent you (user id: edwardbobadilla)

HEy, you forgot the most important thing... password :)
DJ Lique 2:08 PM - 17 December, 2007
Quote:
I can see that site getting shut down fast. For those wanting High Quality Videos, tell me tell you this. Its not like MP3 where you can find them all over the internet. In fact you might get lucky to find a ScreenPlay or Promo Only DVD in its true DVD9 format. Chances are its probably been ripped to DVD5.

So for those that are wanting to truely get into Video, get a subscription to one of the following:
ScreenPlay
Promo Only
MixMash (UK)
also there is a site in LA that has alot of European dance hits.
One thing you will see is for those of us who have PO and ScreenPlay.......we dont give them out to others. Why would we want to help out the competition. You will find out in the Video realm, that just like in music, the more Videos you have the chances of landing a gig is going to be better (I am assuming everyone here is a good dj).
Oh, and its gonna be alot of work as well when you get your Videos. You need to rip them to format. I rip mine to .vob (No loss) than you have to rename the files. There are utilities out there, but it is alot of work. I have over 2TB worth of videos, and spent many hours. I sure wouldnt just hand them over to someone.

So spend $300-$360 (I think prices went up) a year for a PO or SP membership. You get a disc a month unless you spen $100 month with PO and get a disc a week. However for the most part its worth it. They are working on trying to get service up to where you can d/l videos that you want. Its all about licensing.

Oh and for those that are ripping MTV and BET........yeah its looks great on your video screen, but wait until you play it on a projection screen (Gonna look like crap) and not to mention, your going to have that MTV or BET logo on your video.

This post isn't going to make me any friends....

I'm gonna have to agree with DJ Dan-E on this one. I have over four terabytes worth of content that I have been encoding and re-encoding as the codecs improve and change since 2000. The amount of money I have spent on videos over the years probably could have bought me several cars by now.

ScreenPlay and Promo Only are the only LEGIT sources that I am currently aware of out there. There are too many DJ's currently that download everything they play using the excuse "I'm promoting the artist so it's cool", and there are many radio station type sites that are for that purpose. But not everyone is in radio, especially not the 17 year olds taking gigs for $50 with their 500GB of stolen music.

I don't really see too many mechanics working in repair shops with all stolen tools. I could give a rats ass if some college student wants to download tunes for their iPod or car. It's when that college student turns around and takes a paying gig away because they will do it cheaper, or worse "work for beer".

There's really no way to prove if someone has legit music when they are playing, a trained ear can hear a shitty download every-time but still no proof. The RIAA isn't going after professionals (yet) mainly college students, but think about this one; when you're playing music videos that have a bug in the corner from VH1 or MTV thats proof you didn't buy anything. Also it's probably only a matter of time before someone puts the same program into place that some of the Karaoke companies are offering. They are rewarding people for turning over names of companies & KJs using illegal content from their companies. Not too hard for your competitor to snap a photo of you using a video on their cell phone.

Everyone here has spent around $500 on Scratch to mix like a pro. I think it was smart of Serato to require the hardware as a form of a dongle so not just any jackass could download the application and "play dj". I'm not telling anyone what they should or shouldn't do but just be careful, you don't want to be on the end of some investigation. A club owner will hang you out to dry in a heartbeat. I had one tell ASCAP that I SHOULD be the one that was responsible for his back bill (which none of us are by the way, thats the venue).

There are legit download services in the works with multiple companies, but as DJ Dan-E said it goes back to licensing. Don't forget, there is no GRACENOTE style system in place like there is for CDs. You have to label all your videos you encode yourself. That's over 80% of what takes me the longest getting them into digital format, or your stuck with: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc.

I'll be waiting for my hate mail :).
djsince74 2:24 PM - 17 December, 2007
In europe try www.mixmash.co.uk

Good selection but not cheap.
nik39 2:30 PM - 17 December, 2007
Quote:
I'll be waiting for my hate mail

Not this time. Great post.
marx 5:00 PM - 17 December, 2007
good reading lique

Quote:
I could give a rats ass if some college student wants to download tunes for their iPod or car

This is the main thing I don't agree with. This is whats killing the industry. Thats consumers driving around in stolen cars (your analogy ha}

It basically comes down to the fact that PO & ScreenPlay take too long to release the current bangers that need to be played especially if your calling yourself a vj. And the crazy thing is its not their fault for the most part....this is the fasteset they can get the licenses along with putting it on a weekly dvd. 2 weeks after a track is a banger is a long time in club time.

This will pass in time just like it did with the transition from vinyl to mp3. I remember when label reps didn't even know what a mp3 was. Back in the 2way pager days haha. But I don't see this for a couple of years. & even if it comes sooner when it does after talking with ScreenPlay the videos are going to be DRM. So why care if your only goin to use that laptop but what happens if u crash & have another computer...u can't just plugin your external & go etc....drm files are very flaky. Also you can't edit drm files. So that alone is big problem. Just some food for thought.
nik39 5:03 PM - 17 December, 2007
Quote:
This is the main thing I don't agree with. This is whats killing the industry.

marx, wow. How can you agree with any thing which is against illegal stuff if you sell video files illegally on your smash video website?
marx 5:08 PM - 17 December, 2007
to consumers? that has never been the case. & yes i'm that guy....the djs..i mean the vjs are promoting the music videos...its that simple.

& again its not my site.
nik39 5:10 PM - 17 December, 2007
Your videos are sold on that website with your authorization and acknowledgement. You would not want to dare to say that you don't see the money ...

Does the website where you sell your video edits illegally check if someone is a consumer or a "pro" VDJ? If so, how does it do it?
marx 5:14 PM - 17 December, 2007
Quote:
Does the website where you sell your video edits illegally check if someone is a consumer or a "pro" VDJ? If so, how does it do it?

it will be back up in a couple days...why don't u give it a try & see how the screening process works :)
nik39 5:25 PM - 17 December, 2007
Why should I have another look at it?

Regardless what screening process you use, you still sell unauthorized material. Highly illegal. Something I would neither be proud of, brag about or post about in a public forum where lots of pro's (also from the industry) are reading.

You are not doubting that it is illegal. On the same hand you agree about the illegal stuff previously talked about. That is something very hypocrite to say, IMHO.
marx 5:40 PM - 17 December, 2007
The site doesn't sell any videos, its a video pool for pro vjs. Things have changed. Its not illegal. But i'm not going to go into this....there are plenty of other post on this already.

Sorry i will not reply on this subject anymore as this is walking a fine line with the mods. Also please don't post the name. No advertising

thanks
nik39 5:47 PM - 17 December, 2007
I didn't post any link. I didn't post the correct or full name either (contrary to being mentioned by yourself in your profile). The site sells videos, at least it did that before going temp. down. And don't start with the excuse that the mandatory donation-thing is not selling, because it is selling in the end. That applies to any site, not only yours.
marx 5:49 PM - 17 December, 2007
thanks for the heads up forgot that was on there.
DJ Sterling 6:10 PM - 17 December, 2007
I agree in most parts, video is not like audio. With the sharing of music, now everyone is a DJ.....video will have none of that.

Plain and simple, it will not be passed out or shared.....at least not by those who are smart.

In other words, don't ask and start building your own....By the way, www.rockamericamusic.com is another video outlet.

If you're going to do video....it will demand that you do it right. Learn the professional programs to speed your overall process.

Get DVD's, not youtube stuff or other junk....it will tell on you, video is right there on the big screen and it makes an impact.
djdannyc 9:06 PM - 17 December, 2007
so where can i get videos from? :)
D-Twizzle 9:31 PM - 17 December, 2007
from what i was told, the smashvidz site is temporarily down and will re-open when it's fully legal much like my12inch has legal downloadable videos. they will have a legal download service that is backed by major labels, but the videos will also include 8 bar intros which nobody else has. same as my12inch, there will be a monthly fee and only working DJs that are screened can join the pool. the remixes are like freebies. kind of like when you're on digiwaxx and there's a remix under digiwaxx treats or hip hop & r&b treats. the same way my12inch has a bunch of blendz for free.
anyway, that's just what i was told, i'm sure marx got the same email i got too.
djsteel 9:36 PM - 17 December, 2007

Actually Promo Only already tried the whole Downloading Videos thing once and didn't like it. As far as I know they aren't looking to do that.
djsteel 9:51 PM - 17 December, 2007
Oh and just so you all know I'm that guy that will turn you ass in if I go to your club and see an MTV water mark. It takes one phone call.

Example: I'm was the entertainment director for the Franchise Tilted Kilt. They expresses interest in doing a system like Night Life. I told them I could do a better system cheaper. So I bought a whole set of videos from promo only and set up Virtual DJ with all the video and ran a hercules with it.

We notices on one of our nights at the store in Scottsdale AZ we were competing a bar called Red Fish and they had a packed house for Karaoke so I went over to check it our. The wasted KJ was doing a pretty bad show but the singers made it entertaining. Then I saw were I had the night closed down. In between Karaoke song he was playing Pirated MTV and BET videos for people. I made one phone call to the owner of the club and told him what he was in for.

That night had been running for about 5 years and I calculated the amount of fines he would have to pay for running illegal videos 30 times a night once a week for 5 years. Basicly he would have to shut down his bar.

Needless to say we no long had to compete with them anymore on that night.

Oh and on the same note, I work for a company in AZ that owns about 15 bars and restaurants. The owner got popped for 15,000.00 for illegal video play before I was brought in.
djsteel 9:55 PM - 17 December, 2007
Now on the illegal and illegal topic I see a lot of VJ's even me who use small clips from movies when DJing. Now that's illegal too. But i guess thats the one risk that a lot of us take. I hope in the future there will be a way to do that legally as well.
D-Twizzle 10:10 PM - 17 December, 2007
Quote:
Now on the illegal and illegal topic I see a lot of VJ's even me who use small clips from movies when DJing. Now that's illegal too. But i guess thats the one risk that a lot of us take. I hope in the future there will be a way to do that legally as well.

I do this too, along will all the other great VJs. There's no way around it. All the dope VJs that take time to do their own production work will be jackin scenes from movies and playing them in their sets.
Dance scenes from Hitch and Napolean Dynamite are a little played out now, but some people are mashing up heat from other movies.
nik39 10:10 PM - 17 December, 2007
Quote:
anyway, that's just what i was told, i'm sure marx got the same email i got too.

Haha, obviously I guess, as you used to sell your videos through that illegal site as well. You both are affiliated with that site. You were just more clever than marx was and did not advertise that illegal site all across this board. But as marx had this in his profile a few minutes ago, you still have it there.
D-Twizzle 10:20 PM - 17 December, 2007
well, the main point is that it will be legal to get extended music videos from that site. backed by the major labels just like my12inch and digiwaxx is.
marx 10:25 PM - 17 December, 2007
nik on the patrol again
nik39 10:29 PM - 17 December, 2007
Twizzle, thats good.

marx, you got jokes.
marx 10:35 PM - 17 December, 2007
i'm owner of a comedy club. gotta have a sense of humor to live :)
nik39 11:07 PM - 17 December, 2007
You must be the head of the comedy club actors.

It doesnt take a Holmes or Watson to recognize and realize - just like with your whole video website.
marx 11:12 PM - 17 December, 2007
nah..acts from across the country booked through the comedy zone. just recently had tommy chong
nik39 11:19 PM - 17 December, 2007
Yeah, some like Chong, others prefer Cheech.
marx 11:24 PM - 17 December, 2007
cheech doesn't roll like that anymore
nik39 11:27 PM - 17 December, 2007
Thats what they all say. Esp smokers.

"I stopped smoking" - "When did you stop?" - "Yesterday!!" - "Oh, wow, less than 24hours and you think you stopped..."

Yeah, ryte.
marx 11:33 PM - 17 December, 2007
i didn't mean smoking I meant comedy. He only acts now. If u see him doing comedy its a special event thing not for money. Cheech on the other hand this is his main income.

Now with smoking. Up until 2 months ago I would only smoke on occasion. But soon after the last time along with the cigars irrated a simple cold I was getting..but along with that i was drinking like a madman (a wedding reception). So the outcome was broncitis. I'm done smoking my lungs can't handle it anymore. But i will eat the hell outta some brownies.
DJ Lique 5:29 AM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:

Wow I started a firestorm. Thanks to those of you that are legit and are taking a stance on this. Here are some things to remember when you go video:

- Videos generally come out a few weeks to a month AFTER the song is an actual hit. (the studio's not going to spend the cash on a video unless they KNOW it's selling)
- Not EVERY song has a music video so be prepared to have some ambient ready to play in place when the videos are not on. Promo Only has about 5 discs and releases 3 new ambient clips each month on Hot Video.
- Even though the SONG may be censored the video may be a tad racy for high schools and minor events. There is no nudity ever released on pro level discs because to the best of my knowledge no bar can show those with liquor laws.
- ASCAP will increase the dues owed by the club owner, warn them so they don't get pissed later.
- No intros or outros on the videos
- Vidoes can be a pain in the ass with breaks or extended cuts. (for example the music comes to a halt when an actor does something in the video, or better yet useless sound effects cars screeching, etc. that helps the video)

in regards to the quote above, yes it technically is illegal to play video clips from a movie at a show, then again so is audio. Then again you're not playing the entire movie, just about 2-10 seconds. If you try to mix then SELL it, you're crossing the line then you will have the MPAA on your ass.

Music Videos are not as cut and dry as MP3s. With a song you're dealing with the artist and the label. With a music video you're dealing with the Artist, the label, the director, any talent in the video, etc. The labels initially saw music videos as a promotional throw away and in recent years when iTunes and iPod video became popular they saw it as a major asset.

I'm proud of the fact that I am the only one in my region HEAVILY using video every night and am excited about the possibility of beatmixing the videos now. I have made it clear anyone not competing fairly in this market will not be quickly. For the record the RIAA hotline is: 1-800-BAD-BEAT I know they respond VERY quickly and usually with police (from a buddy in Seattle).

There IS something in the very near future from a few companies and they WILL most likely include your unique identifier that will be tracked back the the licensed user. So basically if you give it to your buddy and your buddy gives it to someone else or posts it online YOU'RE on the hook. This is something that the labels are demanding to insure the same thing doesn't happen to videos that happened to MP3s. You may not be aware of this but some encoding applications currently embed your name and/or machine number depending on what app you use.

I'll be curious how this whole thing plays out when the Video-SL is released. I too want it to work with the SL-1 or a four channel mixer.
DJ Lique 12:12 PM - 18 December, 2007
I was able to find the document I was speaking of, this is the approach the Karaoke people are taking:

www.bigbrothersproductions.com
DJ EkSeL 1:43 AM - 23 December, 2007
Here's a legitamte video site www.digitalvideopool.com I'm going to launch the website Jan-Feb 2008.

It is a legitimate website! Working with the labels NOW!
lvmez 3:30 AM - 23 December, 2007
are you going to have up to date videos? what price range are looking at?
DJ Lique 5:45 PM - 25 December, 2007
Quote:
Here's a legitamte video site www.digitalvideopool.com I'm going to launch the website Jan-Feb 2008.

It is a legitimate website! Working with the labels NOW!

Few questions:

- Do you already have your subscriber agreement in place?
- How are you getting your master content? Beta,
- Is this a professional production house or a home computer?

just curious because it is very hard to get digital tapes out of the labels unless you are very well established. Since you've now officially put this out there hope it IS legit. Would be nice if it is but Promo Only has been around since 1993 and they've been very careful about announcing anything.

Good luck, hope it goes well. Feel free to PM me with your agreement, I'd like to see the terms. Do you have any sample content yet (even 20 second clip).
DJ EkSeL 3:39 AM - 26 December, 2007
I understand that some people have question, but I'm not to sure if it's proper to discuss here. I thought that by mentioning the website I would get banned. If you haven't done so, go to the website and enter your e-mail. I will be forwarding all the information in a few days.
djsteel 8:15 AM - 26 December, 2007
I don't think Serato cares, if its all legit why would they. Thats what the forums here for bro.
Jynxx 1:36 PM - 28 December, 2007
Wow, firestorm is right. Let me address a couple of things.
One, most of the labels know about my site already and have for years. I am a remixer with SelectMix/Hot Tracks and was the Lead Remixer / Engineer before I voluntarily stepped down because of family issues. We have dealings with labels all the time, and some people that work for some of them (interscope and jive are some examples) are even members on my site. They can't support what I am doing, but they don't really care much either.
I am not like some guys who are SELLING music (or in this case, videos). Every dollar I get goes to bandwidth, site upgrades, server space, etc., so there is no profit, and in fact I come out of my own pocket every year because I just don't make enough from the donations. But that's not the point...
Everyone seems to have this "it's illegal" problem. Do all of you have an ASCAP/BMI license? If no, then you can't do weddings or events, or anywhere that you may be playing your music publicly. Does your club/bar owner pay those fees? If not, you're playing there illegally.
See, our industry is fraught with all kinds of things that are illegal. This profession was BUILT on playing illegally, but most artists wouldn't be anywhere if it weren't for us. As far as remixers posting their songs and such, how else are they supposed to get a job?? The ONLY way I got a legitamate job as a remixer to begin with is because I had a fan base. Everyone that we (SelectMix) have hired since is because we heard about someone's work.

Fact of the matter is - YES, what we do is illegal. Is it detrimental to the industry? Not in most cases, and certainly not in mine (I literally have 10 people signed up for videos now). But we are filling a need for most DJ's and now for VJ's. With the way that the industry is heading towards video, I jumped in early so that I can stay ahead of the trend, and build my video editing skills along with my remixing skills to stay in my chose profession.

Face it, none of us that are professional DJ's or VJ's would be where we are without somewhere doing it illegally. You DJing at a house party is illegal, and that's where 99% of us got our start. I don't know anyone who DJ'd for their very first time ever in a club.
DJ_Romeo_603 4:32 PM - 28 December, 2007
Quote:

See, our industry is fraught with all kinds of things that are illegal. This profession was BUILT on playing illegally, but most artists wouldn't be anywhere if it weren't for us. As far as remixers posting their songs and such, how else are they supposed to get a job?? The ONLY way I got a legitamate job as a remixer to begin with is because I had a fan base. Everyone that we (SelectMix) have hired since is because we heard about someone's work.

I see your point Jynxx, most artists got to where they are now because the begged a DJ to play their promo or mixtape. Once they got a fan base built they want all the $$.

Most DJ's and the majority of venues DO NOT pay the ASCAP/BMI Fees- Several sites sell things they do not have the "right" to for straight up profit and nothing is happening to them (yet).

I wish people would point the "Illegal finger" at some of the HUGE issues going on right now.....something that might make a difference instead of a DJ or VJ making extended songs or videos which is actually HELPING promote the Artist.

Some of us can remember when DJ's would introduce the new music to the dance floor/radio/etc.
gmoney1975 4:59 PM - 28 December, 2007
Great thread.... I am glad people Dan-E and Lique posted their comments and hope others feel the same. I have spent too much time (countless) and money working on my video library (and hardware, and software.....) to give it to someone else who is going to compete. I hope some legal, quality DL sites pop up to help expidite getting the hot videos to DJ's (who are willing to pay), and be able to more 'customize' librarys. In the mean time companies like PO do a great job (even though I still bitch and moan about their choices of 'Dance' videos on Hot Video, and the lack of label participation or issues with licensing some of the hotter house tracks which are available through PO Europe, or UK iTunes!).
DJ_Romeo_603 5:32 PM - 28 December, 2007
I have been subscribing to PO video since 2004 when i bought the DVj's.....when PO starts doing extended videos I will be a Happy Camper, But it really sucks when you play a music video and there is a freaking monolog in the middle of it, that works great for a dance floor LOL.the triple set is a coold idea but you can get away with playing it like one or twice before your crowd starts to predict what you are playing.
The point is, most dj's like beat matchable intros on video, or a version of the song that is more danceable, and you wanna talk about countless hours working on your library? I agree that takes a lot of time, but so does making your own extended videos.....
DJ Lique 7:49 PM - 28 December, 2007
Quote:

Everyone seems to have this "it's illegal" problem. Do all of you have an ASCAP/BMI license? If no, then you can't do weddings or events, or anywhere that you may be playing your music publicly. Does your club/bar owner pay those fees? If not, you're playing there illegally.

Just to clarify WE as entertainers do not pay ASCAP/BMI fees, the venue does. I even asked if I could pay them to control who went into the venue and they said it wasn't possible. We answer to the RIAA basically. In Canada you have to pay a licensing fee to be a DJ and perform. I would GLADLY pay a fee if it weeded out any guy with a CaseLogic book of burned CDs and a $100 cheap-o Radio Shack DJ setup. There's a reason my starting rate is $1200+ to do a wedding because I know what I'm doing and can point to many instances where DJs have ruined events. Clubs are much less picky and have no problem paying $50 to some guy or using their "Limewire House System". Do a search on AVLA and look at what the canadians have to deal with. You can report a venue or DJ for not having a license and they pursue it vigorously.

ASCAP laws may be different in other areas (not sure why they would be). Venues that don't pay, usually end up in court. Even business have to pay for that elevator music you hear in the waiting room technically.

I still have the voicemail from ASCAP I can post where he clearly says " it is not your responsibility, it's the venues".
Jynxx 8:50 PM - 28 December, 2007
Wrong, it's the venue's responsibility if you are playing at a club or bar. If YOU do public performances such as a wedding or event, then YOU must have the license.

"1. Why should I pay for playing music in public?

We often use the expression "they're playing my song," not always remembering that while we may have emotionally adopted the song, it still legally belongs to the songwriter who created it, and the music publisher who markets it. When you use other people's property, you need to ask permission.

2. What is a public performance?

A public performance is one that occurs either in a public place or any place where people gather (other than a small circle of a family or its social acquaintances.) A public performance is also one that is transmitted to the public; for example, radio or television broadcasts, music-on-hold, cable television, and by the internet. Generally, those who publicly perform music obtain permission from the owner of the music or his representative. However, there are a few limited exceptions, (called "exemptions") to this rule. Permission is not required for music played or sung as part of a worship service unless that service is transmitted beyond where it takes place (for example, a radio or television broadcast). Performances as part of face to face teaching activity at a non-profit educational institutions are also exempt.

We recommend that you contact your local ASCAP representative who can discuss your needs and how ASCAP can help you.

3. What Does the ASCAP License Do?

ASCAP gives you a license to entertain your customers, guests and employees with the world's largest musical repertory. One of the greatest advantages of the ASCAP license is that it give you the right to perform ANY or ALL of the millions of the musical works in our repertory. Whether your music is live, broadcast, transmitted or played via CD's or videos, your ASCAP license covers your performances. And with one license fee, ASCAP saves you the time, expense, and burden of contacting thousands of copyright owners. "

And then:

"12. Aren't musicians, entertainers and DJ's responsible for obtaining permission for music they perform?

Some people mistakenly assume that musicians and entertainers must obtain licenses to perform copyrighted music or that businesses where music is performed can shift their responsibility to musicians or entertainers. The law says all who participate in, or are responsible for, performances of music are legally responsible. Since it is the business owner who obtains the ultimate benefit from the performance, it is the business owner who obtains the license. Music license fees are one of the many costs of doing business."

SO... if YOU are the business owner of "mobile dj usa" for example, it is not the hotel, hall, park, etc that has to have the license, it is YOU.

www.ascap.com

Jynxx 8:55 PM - 28 December, 2007
Oh and for the record, I would say at least 50% of the clubs I have played at don't have a license. Most think that having a night club license and a liqour license is enough. And I am not talking hole in the wall dive bars, I mean clubs that are 500-1000 capacity.
No offense to anyone, but most of us know how shady club owners are, so it really shouldn't come as a surprise that most of the clubs we play at don't even know they should have a license for the DJ to play there.
DJ Lique 11:33 PM - 28 December, 2007
Quote:
Wrong, it's the venue's responsibility if you are playing at a club or bar. If YOU do public performances such as a wedding or event, then YOU must have the license.

I have a call into ASCAP Seattle about this but from my understanding a wedding is not a PUBLIC performance. It is a private event, not advertised to the general public. Now an event such as a School Dance is public and the school district pays those fees. I personally don't throw large public events myself due to these reasons and insurance issues, etc.

When ASCAP calls me back I will post what they said here.

Quote:
"12. Aren't musicians, entertainers and DJ's responsible for obtaining permission for music they perform?

Some people mistakenly assume that musicians and entertainers must obtain licenses to perform copyrighted music or that businesses where music is performed can shift their responsibility to musicians or entertainers. The law says all who participate in, or are responsible for, performances of music are legally responsible. Since it is the business owner who obtains the ultimate benefit from the performance, it is the business owner who obtains the license. Music license fees are one of the many costs of doing business."

They are talking about the business owner here (the venue), not the Mobile Business owner. This is the excuse a club owner tried to use to get me to pay the ASCAP fee and ASCAP wouldn't let him get away with it.

Found this discussion:

www.houstonbeats.com

I would GLADLY pay ASCAP fees if required, I would then raise my rates accordingly. This once again would weed out any bottom feeder DJs that wanna DJ for beer.
DJ Lique 11:40 PM - 28 December, 2007
Quote:
Oh and for the record, I would say at least 50% of the clubs I have played at don't have a license. Most think that having a night club license and a liqour license is enough. And I am not talking hole in the wall dive bars, I mean clubs that are 500-1000 capacity.
No offense to anyone, but most of us know how shady club owners are, so it really shouldn't come as a surprise that most of the clubs we play at don't even know they should have a license for the DJ to play there.

Over 50% of people drive over the speed limit that doesn't make it okay. Yes I agree most club owners are shady, but some of the really good ones I have worked in play by the rules and it shows. They pay the staff more and get bigger crowds. Some owners are so cheap they will record your mix and play it back when you're not there. That's why I randomly throw in Vocal ID Drops and Video Bugs whenever I mix, even if I have it set to automated.

Another thing.... NEVER NEVER NEVER, leave your media (hard drive) in the club over night. I use a 1.5TB external RAID drive and thats the only thing I take home nightly. I leave the extra mac I have in the club for easy hook up. I had a buddy have an owner copy his entire drive when he wasn't there, then he got some automated DJ software and played that after he got rid of him. One of my friends was dumb enough to copy his drive for a manager, the manager proceeded to have his son "become a dj" with all of this guys mixes and they pay him in food and drinks.
waffelz 12:36 AM - 30 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I have a call into ASCAP Seattle about this but from my understanding a wedding is not a PUBLIC performance. It is a private event, not advertised to the general public. Now an event such as a School Dance is public and the school district pays those fees. I personally don't throw large public events myself due to these reasons and insurance issues, etc.

When ASCAP calls me back I will post what they said here.

Quote:

They are talking about the business owner here (the venue), not the Mobile Business owner. This is the excuse a club owner tried to use to get me to pay the ASCAP fee and ASCAP wouldn't let him get away with it.

Found this discussion:

www.houstonbeats.com

I would GLADLY pay ASCAP fees if required, I would then raise my rates accordingly. This once again would weed out any bottom feeder DJs that wanna DJ for beer.

what about bush partys and raves?? i knwo technicly they are public events(which me and a group of friends had laid a bunch opf foundationmal work to change but someone claimed owner ship to our group and got pissy when we asked what the hell he was doing so he shut it down which is funny since it wasn't his anyways...however to promoters for such events need to be paying ascap then?
and i'm in canada so would the laws be much different then say the states or u.k.
mvdtx 5:51 PM - 13 July, 2014
[post removed]
Code:E 11:08 PM - 13 July, 2014
Thats doesn't seem like a legal service. I wouldn't touch it.

Check here for Legal video download sites. serato.com
Rebelguy 3:47 AM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
[post removed]

I thought they didn't like their info being advertised on other boards.
djpuma_gemini 7:45 PM - 15 July, 2014
Miss the detox!
dj big chopps 8:07 PM - 3 August, 2014
iSkysoft iTube Studio and rip from YouTube
popnwave 4:11 AM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:

c'mon man.. really? i hope whatever parties and/or clubs see you playing YT rips slap you upside the head.
dj big chopps 3:59 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

c'mon man.. really? i hope whatever parties and/or clubs see you playing YT rips slap you upside the head.

Lol... Alternative for the cheap people, that don't want to pay
DJ DisGrace 5:47 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Give me a break.... You can get up to 600 quality videos from VJ-Pro for $40/month.
DJ DisGrace 5:48 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Give me a break.... You can get up to 1200+ quality videos from VJ-Pro for $40/month.

fixed
djpuma_gemini 7:52 PM - 4 August, 2014
^Yep.
DJMark 9:57 AM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Alternative for the cheap people, that don't want to pay

I don't know which is funnier and/or more sad...that you're DJ-ing with YouTube videos, or that you actually paid $20 for some scamware YouTube downloading software.

More than enough said.
Taipanic 6:08 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Give me a break.... You can get up to 1200+ quality videos from VJ-Pro for $40/month.

fixed

And how is this?
Code:E 6:23 PM - 5 August, 2014
why dont you signup and give it a try.
Joshua Carl 8:18 PM - 5 August, 2014
I tell everyone in my market to do this. :)
Taipanic 1:34 AM - 6 August, 2014
Quote:
why dont you signup and give it a try.

I've been a member for years. Haven't seen any pricing options like that, only the monthly (or yearly) fee and credit purchases.
DJ DisGrace 11:49 AM - 6 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

fixed

And how is this?

200 credits with 6+ edits of each video.... It's a bit like rating speaker wattage by max instead of RMS, but I was trying to make a point.
Taipanic 1:25 PM - 6 August, 2014
Got it
Code:E 6:36 PM - 6 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

fixed

And how is this?

200 credits with 6+ edits of each video.... It's a bit like rating speaker wattage by max instead of RMS, but I was trying to make a point.

That is one amazing analogy.