Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato takes forever to start up when Interface is connected!

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
jsounds 3:59 PM - 19 November, 2011
Hey guys

I had a DJ gig yesterday. I arrived half an hour early to set up all my stuff... connected everything (SL 1, macbook pro (late '08) running on 10.7.2 by know, novation dicers).

The last thing I did was setting up my laptop. I connected the interface, wanted to start Serato... and the only thing that came up was the black background & the program wasn't responding. I forced it to quit, tried again. Same thing. Umm..
I tried EVERYTHING! Rebooting. Reinstalling drivers & scratch live. System repair tools (repairing permissions). Different cables, computer (interface wasn't the issue), interface...

The funny thing was that it started up fine & fast when the interface wasn't connected. When I plugged in the interface after the program was running, it stopped responding again...

This was quite frustrating because i had to play a gig. I transferred my mp3's to my friend's notebook and played with his computer. That worked more or less, the club had to open late, but at least it was working.

Now i tried again today. Same issue. Then I just left my computer sitting on my table... when I came back it was running! Apparently, ScratchLive just doesn't respond for about 5-10 minutes after I plug in an interface (same thing happened with a TTM57 SL yesterday, we tried that too.)

What could be the issue? I prepared my set without having the SL1 connected, so I couldn't recognize that earlier. One week ago it worked all fine.. In the meantime I used ProTools quite a bit, with an M-Audio interface. Could this cause a conflict somehow?

This is gonna be a tough one I guess.. good luck :-)

Jonas
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:28 PM - 21 November, 2011
Hey Jonas,

I'm not sure what is going on but I would try deleting the .kext file.

Quit all programs completely.

1. Open your Macintosh HD drive.
2. Click on your HD icon.
3. Click on 'system'.
4. Click 'library'.
5. Click 'Extentions'.
6. Delete the 'SeratoScratchDriver.kext'.

Now re install SSL.

If that doesn't work I would try using a different usb cable and try plugging into the other usb port on your computer.

Let us know how you get along:)
jsounds 9:25 PM - 21 November, 2011
I did all that already. Didn't help.

The interface was working fine on another computer...

Could it be anything related to midi?
As i said: I used a small audio interface for the first time (mbox 2 mini) in months with pro tools and installed new drivers. I'm also using Sibelius for writing music, and Sibelius also takes a couple of minutes to start, saying that there's an issue with os x's midi system.

But again - the thing is that it happens only when the interface is connected. Does scratch live start it's midi "engine" with the interface connected only?!

Thanks for your answer.. J
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:47 PM - 21 November, 2011
Hm.. not sure what is going on.

Try unplugging any external drives and also rename the _Serato_ folder inside the default Music folder on your internal drive so it reads _Serato_1 (making sure SSL is shut down prior to renaming anything).

Note: You can get your internal library back by simply renaming the _Serato_1 folder back to its original _Serato_ name.

I would also try deleting the kext file again and re-installing SSL.

Then try opening SSL up with your Rane device plugged in.

If your still having issues I would try creating a new user and installing SSL on that user.
This would let us know if the issue is a global problem or if its linked to the user.

If it still occurs the issue is global. If not, then its user related.
Still not sure what to recommend in either case but it would bring us a bit closer to the solution.
jsounds 7:17 PM - 22 November, 2011
i'll try all that as soon as i get home!
jsounds 11:59 PM - 28 November, 2011
Yes! It works.

I guessed right... That f***ing Avid/Digidesign MIDI driver screwed up my system. Seems like this thing doesn't work right in lion.

I deleted the "DigiDioMidiDriver.plugin" from MacHd / Library / Audio / MIDI Drivers
Then everything worked fine again. Sibelius & Scratch live...
I could just figure that out because Sibelius told me that there's a problem with the "OS X MIDI System".

Can you tell what was going on here?! Weird!

Cheers
J
Rane, Support
Zach S 12:13 AM - 29 November, 2011
I'm not sure what the deal is but I'm happy you figured out the issue.
Maybe try reaching out to Avid and see if there is a compatibility issue?
jsounds 12:37 AM - 29 November, 2011
I will definitely ask see if the avid support forum has to say something about this. They always had some issues writing good drivers :-)

I'll let you know.

Thanks for the help anyways. You're support is great. I have a feeling that avid won't be that quick & helpful ;)
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:24 PM - 29 November, 2011
Happy to help:)
Please give us an update on how it goes with Avid:)
jsounds 11:00 PM - 29 November, 2011
Here's the link to the DUC thread:
duc.avid.com

let's see what happens there ;)
Rane, Support
Zach S 12:43 AM - 30 November, 2011
jsounds 10:46 PM - 4 December, 2011
wow. one answer in the digi forums. haha... as expected.