Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

1.4 'build overviews' crashed twice on same song

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Jon O. 11:58 PM - 21 June, 2005
is anyone else experiencing this?

i'm on a powerbook (specs in profile)

no pre-amble, just the desktop and the "unexpectedly quit" message both times
Detroitbootybass 12:20 AM - 22 June, 2005
Send that file to Serato.

Directions for doing so found here: scratchlive.net
Detroitbootybass 12:21 AM - 22 June, 2005
In the meantime, just deleted that song from Scratch Live and continue on building overviews.
Jon O. 3:25 PM - 25 June, 2005
i removed the song and a few other songs that had the "lightning bolt" and started again.

i went to sleep and woke up to the crash message again...

no songs have the "lightning bolt" now so...

how do i know how far it got, and what song to remove, if i am not watching it when it crashes?

this is FRUSTRATING...
sixxx 7:22 PM - 25 June, 2005
This is VERY FRUSTRATING. This is the reason why I NEVER build overviews. I mean. Really, it isn't necessary. When I load a song, it will build the overview anyhow. It really it's just a waste of time!
nik39 8:15 PM - 25 June, 2005
No offense guys, but if you get your mp3s from trsuted sources (you bought them (from a legal source ;) ), or built them for yourself) you shouldnt be afraid of corrupt files which make SSL freeze/hang/crash. Nevertheless, in first instance... SSL shouldnt crash anyway. A logfile where all the accessed files are written to, would be pretty handy, and not hard to code :)
Detroitbootybass 8:27 PM - 25 June, 2005
Quote:
Really, it isn't necessary. When I load a song, it will build the overview anyhow. It really it's just a waste of time!

Loading a song only builds the overview IF you have checked the 'auto fill overviews' in the setup screen - and most people turn that off to gain a bit more processing power for the actual audio playback. Building overviews beforehand means that your computer doesn't have to undertake this CPU intensive action WHILE you are trying to play audio. Seriously... who wants their computer doing menial tasks that could affect playback while they are at a gig (especially when this could be done beforehand at a less crucial time)?

Building overviews serves a very valuable purpose.
nik39 8:36 PM - 25 June, 2005
Quote:
Loading a song only builds the overview IF you have checked the 'auto fill overviews' in the setup screen

Not quite correct, SSL always "updates" the internal overview (it calculates it anyway) at least when its playing, so even if the checkbox is not ticked it will build the overview around those parts which you actually play.

Yeah, I know, I am a nitpicker ;) Just wanted to avoid any confusion, thats why I am saying this.
Detroitbootybass 8:43 PM - 25 June, 2005
Yeah... but that is when it is playing. The original poster said it happens when he 'load(s) a song'.

By the way, I don't mind you nitpicking... accuracy is important.

:-)
nik39 8:47 PM - 25 June, 2005
:-) Okay for accuracy's sake, I must admit you are right, he was talking abouting overviews when he loads a song.
Serato
Josh 9:27 PM - 25 June, 2005
Quote:
how do i know how far it got, and what song to remove, if i am not watching it when it crashes?

could you scroll through your library and find the last file that has a built overview?
Jon O. 9:40 PM - 25 June, 2005
thanks for the responses, a couple things:

1) i was originally talking about the song crashing "build overviews" when i dragged it onto the button - not crashing SSL when i load it to play it (although that has happened to - see below)

2) 98.5% of my 18,400 MP3s (including every corrupt file that has caused a crash for me) were ripped directly from CD (or recorded from vinyl) by me.

3) i never planned on building overviews until i had two crashes -- while playing out -- that were caused by trying to load MP3s (ripped from cd by me) that turned out to be corrupt but were not marked as such -- i.e. the ONLY reason i'm building overviews is to find corrupt files - hence the necessity of doing this for me. i don't want to have any more 1:30 am saturday night sudden silences accompanied by staring faces!! you know what i'm talking about!

i've been searching the forum for a recommended program to scan for corrupt songs on mac but i haven't found one. did i miss something? i was psyched when i found out you could building overviews on selected songs in 1.4 - i thought this was the answer...

nik39 - is your suggestion is a feature suggestion for serato or something you suggest i do? i don't know anything about code...
nik39 10:09 PM - 25 June, 2005
It was a feature suggestion, so people can track down files which make SSL crash easily, it would save some of you guys enormous time and trouble. BTW for you windows cats, you can use in the meantime www.sysinternals.com which tracks all the disk access, so start that tool before you start building your overviews. Once SSL crashes you can look into the Filemonitor log file which will tell you the last accessed files. But it is only a workaround.

Jon, there are some mp3 scan apps, but I am not sure if they detect all corrupt files, so it doesnt really help. Its 2005, and SSL is still picky about the files it gets :-( Very odd, that you mp3s which you encoded for yourself and they make SSL crash. Might be some tag issues, but usually if you have clean fresh encoded mp3s they shouldnt make SSL stutter.
Serato
Josh 10:14 PM - 25 June, 2005
By all means if you can find out which files cause it to reproducibly crash we really need them! We're able to handle all the corrupt files we've currently been able to source I believe...
sixxx 10:15 PM - 25 June, 2005
Quote:
Quote:
Really, it isn't necessary. When I load a song, it will build the overview anyhow. It really it's just a waste of time!

Loading a song only builds the overview IF you have checked the 'auto fill overviews' in the setup screen - and most people turn that off to gain a bit more processing power for the actual audio playback. Building overviews beforehand means that your computer doesn't have to undertake this CPU intensive action WHILE you are trying to play audio. Seriously... who wants their computer doing menial tasks that could affect playback while they are at a gig (especially when this could be done beforehand at a less crucial time)?

Building overviews serves a very valuable purpose.

You really should have a little more faith on your computer's processing power. I have an iBook and have no problems at all. Next!
Jon O. 10:52 PM - 25 June, 2005
Quote:
By all means if you can find out which files cause it to reproducibly crash we really need them! We're able to handle all the corrupt files we've currently been able to source I believe...

ok, i just uploaded the file that originally crashed "build overviews" twice in a row...i tried again just for good measure and it crashed instantly...

as discussed, i don't know what file is crashing it now...i will try to do it in smaller batches tomorrow and see if i can narrow it down - fun!

i forgot to post my specs on the upload page, sorry josh:
Powerbook, 12", 867mhz, 60GB hardrive, 640MB of RAM
OS 10.3.9, iTunes 4.7.1
Lacie External Firewire Drive (160GB)
104GB of 192kbs MP3s (18,400)

**question for rane/serato cats: about 5-6 days ago i posted the file that caused my last 1:30am saturday night instant-silence crash. is that the type of thing i get feedback on or does it just go into the brain trust/knowledge mass? it's all good, just checking.

thanks for the support - it's saturday and serato is up in the forum answering questions!
Detroitbootybass 11:07 PM - 25 June, 2005
My computer's processor is just fine (2.8 Ghz P4... which, by the way, is faster than your little iBook). The issue is that playing compressed audio (like .mp3 or .ogg) requires the CPU to to decode the file while playing. Since I use mainly .wav files, my hardrive does most of the work, but most people use compressed files and need every bit of processing power possible. By the way, even you have mentioned freezing issues that forced you to restart your computer - so, contrary to your above statement, you have had problems.

Sixxx - you have been a Scratch Live user for two months now, though you act as though you have been with the product since it's inception. That's humorous, to say the least.
sixxx 12:34 AM - 26 June, 2005
Quote:
My computer's processor is just fine (2.8 Ghz P4... which, by the way, is faster than your little iBook). The issue is that playing compressed audio (like .mp3 or .ogg) requires the CPU to to decode the file while playing. Since I use mainly .wav files, my hardrive does most of the work, but most people use compressed files and need every bit of processing power possible. By the way, even you have mentioned freezing issues that forced you to restart your computer - so, contrary to your above statement, you have had problems.

Sixxx - you have been a Scratch Live user for two months now, though you act as though you have been with the product since it's inception. That's humorous, to say the least.

If you would like to attack me, do so at the address on my profile. Or I can give you my number and you can call me.

It doesn't matter if your PC has a faster processor, Mac's process data differently which make them faster at the same processor speed.

I have never acted as though I've "been with the product since it's inception". That's a stupid comment and you know it. Furthermore, it doesn't mean anything. As far as the problem I had with my program freezing... it was actually a corrupt file. Which, it's a software problem my friend, NOT A COMPUTER PROBLEM. One that was addressed by SSL AND fixed in version 1.4. So grab your PC and stick it... well, you know where.

:)
sixxx 12:39 AM - 26 June, 2005
And one last thing Mr. Detroitbootybass - I've known about SSL and Final Scratch since they came out to the market. Unlike you, I didn't jump on the bandwagon because I know better than to jump into any new products out there just because I want to be the new "kid" on the block with a new toy. Now, I'm just enjoying all the rewards. Next!
sixxx 12:46 AM - 26 June, 2005
Quote:
No offense guys, but if you get your mp3s from trsuted sources (you bought them (from a legal source ;) ), or built them for yourself) you shouldnt be afraid of corrupt files which make SSL freeze/hang/crash. Nevertheless, in first instance... SSL shouldnt crash anyway. A logfile where all the accessed files are written to, would be pretty handy, and not hard to code :)

Good point. I'd just like to point out that even files that are from a trusted source can become corrupt. The problem with building overviews is that if you have a large library, the chances of running into a bad file increase. Of course, I'm glad 1.4 can now build overviews by selection - not just the entire library. I haven't tried this new feature though and probably won't since I'm happy with letting SSL build overviews when I load a file. (Yes, by checking the feature in setup).
nik39 1:26 AM - 26 June, 2005
Quote:
I'd just like to point out that even files that are from a trusted source can become corrupt.

Correct of course. I didnt think about mp3s which might get corrupt during transmission or whatever, though undetected bit changes are very unlikely, unless your HD is fu**ed up or so. Or you let your little baby playing with photoshop and he/she starts painting "on" your mp3 files ;))
Detroitbootybass 2:33 AM - 26 June, 2005
Quote:
Unlike you, I didn't jump on the bandwagon because I know better than to jump into any new products out there

You apparently don't understand the term 'jumping on the bandwagon'...
sixxx 8:07 AM - 26 June, 2005
Quote:
Quote:
Unlike you, I didn't jump on the bandwagon because I know better than to jump into any new products out there

You apparently don't understand the term 'jumping on the bandwagon'...

*cough* you call that a comeback?*cough* lol
nobspangle 8:49 AM - 26 June, 2005
Chill out guys, no need for this, and definatley not in someone elses help thread.
sixxx 5:30 PM - 26 June, 2005
Quote:
Chill out guys, no need for this, and definatley not in someone elses help thread.

Uh Daddy stepped in to help. :) But, I agree. Let's move on.