Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

2011 MacBook Pro: how to "permanently" boot into 32-bit kernel for ScratchLive

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane TTM 57SL
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJMark 9:18 AM - 6 March, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.2
Hardware: rane-ttm57sl
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.6
---

This will save you the need to hold down the "32" keys when booting your 2011 MacBook Pro, to boot into the 32-bit kernel needed for compatibility with the current 32-bit ScratchLive driver:

Launch Terminal (in Applications/Utilities)

Copy the following line of text, and paste it into Terminal:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386

Hit return, and reboot the computer

Launch System Profiler (in Applications/Utilities)

On the left hand side, click on the "Software" item

On the right hand side, under "System Software Overview", verify that the item "64-bit Kernel and Extensions:" says "No".

Yes this is easily reversible...

To make the computer boot into the 64-bit kernel by default, open Terminal and paste in:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

hit return and reboot.

And whatever your default setting is, you can override it with the "32" or "64" keys held down when powering up/restarting.
Phil3345 11:52 AM - 6 March, 2011
Nice 1 .
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 2:42 AM - 7 March, 2011
Cheers DJMark.

While the above is good, please be warned that this can be dangerous to use Terminal, especially if you are not familiar with it.
However, you can do the above and it will boot permanently if done correctly.

Thanks!
DJMark 6:17 AM - 7 March, 2011
Well...I wouldn't really call command-line use in Terminal "dangerous" unless you start mindlessly entering in random stuff (or bad non-random stuff).

And there's plenty of ways to screw up a Mac without leaving the GUI.

The information in my first post is from here: support.apple.com

Since Serato is far from being the only developer needing to redo their .kext files for 64-bit, I confidently predict a lot of people buying these newer MacBook Pros are going to be getting a bit of temporary familiarity with Terminal.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 1:44 AM - 8 March, 2011
Haha - true. I feel it may be good from a computer science point of view, but bad from a user frustration point of view.

As you say, as long as people follow the instructions properly, they should be fine.
DJMark 2:17 AM - 8 March, 2011
Well, this may help those who are really fearful of Terminal: www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com

Just ran across that today.

And, assuming it works properly (have not tested it myself), probably less risky for support people to be recommending to users.