Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Midi mapping to Novation Nocturn

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
daneb_hh 7:30 PM - 15 September, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.1
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.4
---

Hello out there,

today i purchased the Novation Nocturn Midi device to use it with my SSL Version 2.1.
Who has experiences setting it up? At least, i managed to get the the knobs and Buttons running so far.
How can i set up the Speed Dial on the Midi device? I want to use it for browsing through the Library and selecting tracks for example.

Thank for ur help.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 4:12 AM - 16 September, 2010
Hey daneb_hh,

You can map this function by mapping the library scroll button located in the centre of the MIDI panel which you can open up while in MIDI map mode. The MIDI panel button is located in the middle of the Scratch Live GUI above the library view.
daneb_hh 6:12 AM - 16 September, 2010
No i can't. I know that's the way it's supposed to work but i have the feeling the speed dial is not assignable. I also have problems setting up a second page for the controller. Who can really help me with experience.
radikarl 11:33 AM - 16 September, 2010
if you mean the dial in the midde with green ring of led's, then i have to disappoint you, it is not a midi mappable control
it is just simulationg a click, followed by a mouse going from bottom left to upper right, so you can point with your actual mouse to any control, then use the speed dial, but you can't map it to some special function.
this is bad, but i have not found a way to fix it.
radikarl 11:36 AM - 16 September, 2010
besides the poti in the middle, i finally mapped everything well and it works great.
the trick is to use more than one midi channel, then you can quickly switch on the device with the four buttons on the lower right between functions.
if you want, i can share my mappings or give you some tips.
daneb_hh 2:43 PM - 16 September, 2010
Hello radikari, i would be very thankful for further informations regarding ur mappings.
If possible please keep it as as simple as it is possible since i am an absolute newbe
when comes to midi mapping.
radikarl 3:40 PM - 16 September, 2010
ok, so the mapping consists of several steps

get the newest version of scratch live (2.1 at the moment) and the newest automap
(3.5 at the moment i think).

start serato and the automap software, and plug the devices in.
in the automap software, enabe four midi channels by checking them in the menu, (1 2 3 and 4)

now to make sure everything is as it was at the beginning, klick "clear all controls" in the menu of automap.

create a new midi preset in the setup of scratch live.

hit one of the buttons on the lower right corner of your nocturn, the ones that are labeled "mixer" "fx" and so on.
these are your groups. so you have four of them, that's why you need four midi channels, one for each group.

if more than one midi channel is linked to one group button, upon hitting e.g. the "user" button, you will see a selection window.
(but what you want is most likely to link one group to one midi channel.)

in that selection window, the controls on your nocturn are used to select one of the existing groups.
so when you move the upmost leftmost poti, the corresponding group is getting loaded. if it does not exist, create it (i don't remember perfectly, but i think by just klicking or by moving the corresponding part on your device, or maybe in the menu. sorry i'm not at home can't test)

go to each of them one by one.
then in every group change the group in the upper left of the software so you have one group always matching one channel.

now if you did everything well, you should be able to use the four buttons on the lower right, to switch between groups.

now in every group, you can have an unlimited number of PAGES.
you can flip trough pages with the "page" buttons on the lower left of your nocturn.
i recommend you not to use more than three per group, because with three, you can always tell from the lights on which page you are. (page one - right button is lit, page two - both are lit, page three - left button is lit. so the light always tells you "where you can go" from where you are right now - to the left / to the right / both)

now if you have all of this done, start to map your controls to scratch live the usual way, maybe give them some nice labels.

and a last important step.
save the mappings in scratchlive midi setup
AND in automap (.automap file)