Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

"Splice" to skip music seamlessly.

J.J. 7:40 PM - 22 January, 2007
On the DN-S5000, this feature was known as SPLICE.

It's where you can skip a certain portion of the track seamlessly. You can skip:

- Skip to the end of the song for quick mixes. Great for Radio DJ's.
- Skip cuss words
- Skip long ambient music with no beats in trance music
- Skip a certain verse you dislike
- Skip right into a loop.
- You wouldn't have to edit your library of songs you want to quick mix.
- For practicing, you wouldn't have to wait to the end of the song before you can mix again. <- My favorite. I love to mix non stop.
skinnyguy 8:05 PM - 22 January, 2007
cool feature....but i hardly used it. temp workaround for now is to use a hot cue but you have to know when to manually trigger it.
DJ Jean Verano 9:19 PM - 22 January, 2007
sounds nice...
J.J. 10:29 PM - 22 January, 2007
skinnyguy, I remember you from dn-s5000.com. I never used it Splice either, but I would use it Serato. Remember, no more worrying about storing and recalling memo's anymore. You wouldn't have to wait to load it into memory either. Plus, it's saved with the file.

Some of the remix services have a mix point in the middle of the track, so I could just loop that. Unfortunately, they sometimes screw with the track so much makeing it unplayable. However, it would great for extended 12" versions.
AKIEM 11:24 PM - 20 August, 2007
too many records, the last verse is the best
Rane
Majors 11:06 PM - 27 August, 2007
I'll put in a vote on this
Soulsonica™ 2:29 PM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:
I'll put in a vote on this

Mucho Kudos ;-)
dj-bpm 12:30 PM - 22 September, 2007
+1 for this !
J.J. 12:11 AM - 4 October, 2007
The more I think about it, the more I want this feature.

This would save me hours upon hours because I wouldn't have to edit all my songs for quick mixes. Intro 32/32 > First (or favorite) Verse > Edit IN Outro 32/32.

I could also try new songs on crowds. If they are not feeling it, I could easily enable SPLICE and mix the song out.
midihendrix 8:28 PM - 4 October, 2007
Great idea.

I would definitely use this. I already do manual "splice" through cue points....this would save me alot of time and risk of error..and it would be great for editing remix service tracks to my needs.
midihendrix 8:30 PM - 4 October, 2007
Man now I want it...and it's not in the program. JJ, if it doesn't get added I'm gonna be mad at you for making me imagine it
djtoast 12:00 PM - 5 October, 2007
I don't really get why it's a big hassle to just hit a manual hot cue... I use them all the time for skipping internal sections of songs - the Dirty South version of Depeche Mode cos I want the vocals sooner, the Mickey Slim remix of House of Pain cos I want to get to the slower (original speed) bit quicker, etc... It's just one button press, in amongst everything else I don't find it too much trouble.
J.J. 9:21 PM - 5 October, 2007
That's fine for a few songs djtoast. But imagine doing this for your whole library if you want to do quick mixes. I strongly doubt anyone would remember when to actually hit a Hot Cue. Even if they did, the audio wouldn't be seamless because of human error.

I have a 16 Key X-Key dedicated for Hot Cue's and very rarely am I 100% accurate in using it as a drum pad, much less skipping to another part of a song.

Quote:
Man now I want it...and it's not in the program. JJ, if it doesn't get added I'm gonna be mad at you for making me imagine it

LOL. I agree midihendrix. This feature is a must.
midihendrix 11:24 AM - 6 October, 2007
Yes, for 1 or 2 songs its acceptable but trying to be rhythmically perfect as well as memorizing "splice" cue points for 100s of songs would be very difficult.
Vince 8:39 PM - 24 November, 2007
This Feature Rocks!!! Please include this in the next release...
Arana 7:33 PM - 29 November, 2007
This suggestion seems essential - would save LOADS of editing time (and clumsy use of cue point to skip weak parts of a track). PLEASE INCLUDE IN NEXT RELEASE!
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:22 PM - 6 December, 2007
This is a great idea that I would like to see in the software too.
Its an easy way to do audio editing without turning SSL into a full on audio editor.
It seems like this would be an easy thing to add to the software too.
Rane
Majors 5:33 PM - 6 December, 2007
Bump. I literally edit hundreds of tracks in Ableton for just this purpose. The time that it would save taking out annoying guitar/horn solos, that one horrible verse where an MC decided to let his cousin rap, that Diva solo that crushes your ears, etc. We could make it like a loop thing, maybe have it highlight red/yellow the way loops highlight green. You could activate it similarly to loops. Adjust the in and out, it'd be all nice and clean and wonderful. Just jumps forward all nice and smooth. mmmmmmmmm....butter. (Puts moderator hat back on and heads back to Help section)
AKIEM 6:03 PM - 6 December, 2007
I guess I dig the way loops are running now, but Im still advocating for this:

you could give each cue a possible target and cycle number
0 = skip to target (same as this discussion)
1 = normal cue
2 = loops (two passes)
3 = loops (three passes)
etc.

especially now with the auto beat lengths

---> www.scratchlive.net
Vince 9:21 PM - 6 December, 2007
I love Rane Moos =) Let's get this feature done!! after 2 mins of the song u could skip to the instrumental part of the song and do flawless mixes and all that, would step up the game man =)
skinnyguy 9:47 AM - 7 December, 2007
this would be great! it would allow me to go from the beginning 4 counts of soulja boy right to the ending 4 counts seamlessly! then i can tell the person that requested it that i played it! =)

please make it happen guys! w00t!
skinnyguy 9:48 AM - 7 December, 2007
seriously tho, i wouldn't mind this feature.
Soulsonica™ 1:00 PM - 7 December, 2007
Quote:
Bump. I literally edit hundreds of tracks in Ableton for just this purpose. The time that it would save taking out annoying guitar/horn solos, that one horrible verse where an MC decided to let his cousin rap, that Diva solo that crushes your ears, etc.

Exactly. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent editing out annoying/energy-killing breakdowns in tracks. This feature (along with true album art thumbnails next to tracks -> scratchlive.net ) would make SL unstoppable.
J.J. 6:33 PM - 7 December, 2007
Quote:
this would be great! it would allow me to go from the beginning 4 counts of soulja boy right to the ending 4 counts seamlessly! then i can tell the person that requested it that i played it! =)

please make it happen guys! w00t!

LOL. For all request I dislike or are played out, I will be glad to play 1 minute of the song and mix it out ASAP.
J.J. 7:20 AM - 17 March, 2008
Here's the feature in action on the Denon player, DN-D9000

denondj.com
djtoast 3:12 PM - 19 March, 2008
The Denon's do do cool things, but they're a bit cluttered and unintuitive for a simple person like me. I'd just set a hot cue on my Pioneers and press the button myself.
nik39 9:54 AM - 26 March, 2008
*bump* for videos, skipping interludes/breakdowns.
Caramac 11:12 AM - 26 March, 2008
As I've never used the denons to their full potential. I'm kind of lost at how this would would work in real life.

How would Serato/Denon know you want to edit/skip a certain part of a song. Does it guess the bars/bpm and you type in skip 30 seconds and then it jumps to the nearest bar point?? Or do you say go to bar 139 and jumps to that section.

I could see how this would be useful ie; going straight to Busta's verse on Scenario but can't see how it would work in practice.
skinnyguy 8:43 PM - 26 March, 2008
how does any cd deck/software know when you want to loop? you set your points. in the case of splicing, this would have to be beforehand.
djbriguy 1:11 PM - 27 March, 2008
Caramac... think of the loops in SSL. Now lets pretend you DON'T wanna play that highlighted portion of the track... it would seemelessly skip past that area of the track.
Caramac 2:05 PM - 27 March, 2008
I thought as much.

Would this be something that you can turn off. Ie; you drop a tune. The crowd love it so you want to play the full version instead of the spliced version?
skinnyguy 7:24 PM - 27 March, 2008
of course. just like telling ssl if you want it to loop or not.
danski 10:21 PM - 29 March, 2008
yessss, do this +1 :D etc!!!!!!11one
Cizzel 12:02 PM - 3 April, 2008
I think this is lame idea. Talk about microwave to the 10th power. Why dont you guys who are in favor of this just make a pre-recorded four hour mix and get up there and pretend to DJ. Hot Cues already put you where you need to be in the track.
AKIEM 4:06 PM - 3 April, 2008
Cizzel, its not for splicing two songs, its for editing one song.
read the thread
DJNelson 4:21 PM - 3 April, 2008
whilst I agree with djtoast (hi alec, long time!), I think this would be a good feature. If you could perhaps number the areas so that they were played in a certain order, it would be handy as well. Used the internal cue points to mix up We Are Your Friends (Justice & Simian) the other night, but human error meant I was sometimes a bit off (I was in effect remixing it rather than skipping portions of the song).
djtoast 5:57 PM - 3 April, 2008
hi there!

amazing how many glasgow guys there are on here!
DJDFECT 11:56 AM - 8 April, 2008
sounds good!
DJCrystalEllis 11:31 PM - 19 May, 2008
I do not think its lame Cizzel, i think its a great addition. Why not use this technology to the fullest potential? Thanks to AKIEM for pointing me over here! I'd love this feature for songs that have lame verses the crowd doesnt respond to, i could just cue it to skip right over and not have to worry about it while im in the mix at the club, waiting to hit the right cue at the right time is a hassle
Quote:
I guess I dig the way loops are running now, but Im still advocating for this:

you could give each cue a possible target and cycle number
0 = skip to target (same as this discussion)
1 = normal cue
2 = loops (two passes)
3 = loops (three passes)
etc.

especially now with the auto beat lengths

---> www.scratchlive.net
i do like this suggestion as an optional shortcut- but i think id prefer to be able to set the cues myself if wanted just like regular cues. It should be a 2 part cue, set cue point "a" to jump to cue point "b" when this mode is activated. It would be almost the same as regular cues, maybe even something as simple as an option in the cue color box- have an A & B... which it knows means to jump from a to b? just thinkin out loud here....
skinnyguy 2:59 AM - 20 May, 2008
it would be great for video too. this way you can skip those breaks in the middle where they insert another song or just stop for a bit of dialogue/story. no need to render another huge vid file.
DJ Tom B. (Booty Shakers) 9:13 AM - 25 June, 2008
Quote:
Its an easy way to do audio editing without turning SSL into a full on audio editor.

Yeah! We want to be able to re-edit live!
And not necessarily in the chronological order of the track
I wanna drop in the drum breaks, then skip to the bass intro then skip back to the beginning, and blast it out!
DJCrystalEllis 10:51 PM - 26 June, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah! We want to be able to re-edit live!
And not necessarily in the chronological order of the track
I wanna drop in the drum breaks, then skip to the bass intro then skip back to the beginning, and blast it out!

exactly...be able to jump around the track however you want without reediting or sitting over it waiting for the perfect time to hit a cue! Lets use this technology to the fullest....
Konix 2:08 AM - 27 June, 2008
I'd really like to see this also. I've been doing this a lot lately, but using cue points. I like the idea of it being tied to loops though, as this is essentially just the inverse/reverse of a loop.

Loop = when playhead gets to e.g. 5:00 min, go back to 3:00 min

Splice = when playhead gets to e.g. 3:00 min, go to 5:00 min

One simple button is all that's needed, which my awesome Photoshop skills show here... i48.photobucket.com (the "cut" button)
amadora 8:52 AM - 27 June, 2008
Haha, gonna have to bump this post as well. I think a splice option would be awesome--like everybody else, I've been using cue points as a work around for this.
AKIEM 9:14 PM - 29 June, 2008
I vote for the reverse loop=splice
and turns red on the overview
Konix 10:38 PM - 29 June, 2008
Here here!
Padu! 10:04 PM - 28 July, 2008
+1
great idea!
cheers!
Dj D.ONE 7:51 AM - 29 July, 2008
this whould be great!
illkid 5:47 PM - 12 August, 2008
+1
anathanross 7:20 AM - 14 August, 2008
I agree. I've had too many "Aw, CRAP!" moments when playing. This should definitely be included, but as Konix and CrystalEllis said, there needs to be a "function" area or button to click so those who like cues can have cues exclusively, and those who want splices can have those enabled along with the cues.
Eskei83 10:44 AM - 17 August, 2008
+ 1
Toby82 4:13 PM - 18 August, 2008
+1 would be very cool, especially for videos with interludes

like the idea of inverese (red) loops
Dj BuddyLove 9:53 AM - 22 August, 2008
+1
dj luis 1:33 AM - 23 August, 2008
+1
Dids 6:35 PM - 11 September, 2008
+1
Dj Ace 5:30 AM - 12 September, 2008
+1
Dids 7:13 PM - 12 September, 2008
Looking at the top of the thread it seems like a few Rane guys where into this as well... Is it something likely to make it into one of the future releases?
skinnyguy 9:57 PM - 12 September, 2008
would be nice for 1.9.x but i'm sure we have to get thru 1.8.3 and whatever else 1.8.x updates that are planned...and 1.8.2 isn't even official....yet.
perry07 11:30 PM - 27 September, 2008
1+ for me 2
WarpNote 11:25 AM - 28 September, 2008
+ 1
Had to do the old jump-to-cue manually this weekend, splice would absolutely be useful.
AKIEM 7:00 PM - 29 September, 2008
an mc thought I was bullshitting him "nope, no way to splice"
dj_sobur 5:27 AM - 26 January, 2009
+1

the exact opposite of the loop function - set the "skip" area manually and enact it the same way as a loop

just another little bar under the loop function

perfect

please please please!!
skinnyguy 8:57 PM - 26 January, 2009
you know, the splice feature would be GREAT for VIDEO...
djchrischip 12:32 PM - 27 January, 2009
yah think ie bbd's poison or mo money mo problems would need two splice points
djtoast 2:21 PM - 27 January, 2009
Quote:
bbd's poison

that doesn't need any splicing, just one loop on that awesome bassline to play it solid for about two hours ;)
DJeklypse 10:29 PM - 29 January, 2009
I would like to toss my vote in as well. I already do this with cues, haha I often loop with cues, but it sure would be nice to have the option for the software to do it automatically.
djchrischip 10:55 PM - 29 January, 2009
+1 on splice and also "video splice"
Konix 3:46 PM - 2 February, 2009
Please consider it Serato, Traktor Scratch Pro has already confirmed they will be adding track splice to their next update (not coming until summer though, so that gives you plenty of time to beat them to it)... www.native-instruments.com
djchrischip 3:57 PM - 2 February, 2009
konix def look at my other thread in the feature suggestion thread as well.
please if u or nik 39 like an idea they def tend to add it lololol
Flash&Flare 10:08 AM - 4 February, 2009
I really love this idea +10
Flash&Flare 8:42 PM - 5 February, 2009
I've been thinking about this. You could also "splice" back to a loop ealier in the song. For example, a song has a bitchin intro that can be looped, go through that, play the first verse plus the chorus then jump straight back to that first dope loop and get in the mix.
djchrischip 5:56 PM - 8 February, 2009
+1
audio/ video splice feature (think poison video, or even mo money mo problems)

Ok if anyone has watched the poison video between the famous intro didididdidiididid dah 3 time s it has a 20 second bs clip of no music before the verse words and beat drop back in i propose a "splice of audio/ video" so i don't have to pre edit

also has two parts in mo money mo problems where the same happens lol
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 4:17 AM - 18 February, 2009
I'm giving this a +1
Ongaku 10:49 AM - 18 February, 2009
+1 for me also
ZESH! 2:23 PM - 19 February, 2009
Hey I have a great idea!

How about I load SSL with a list of songs, and let IT find the best cue points, loops, mixes and scratches. hit play and BANG!, It'll DJ for me ALL NIGHT.

While you're at it, why don't you guys have a light show bussin' outta the SSL box or mixer itself?! (it'll have to be properly placed, of course)

Then, when it's all over, little oompa loompas come out of the same unit and pack your sh!t for you (you might have to supply the coffee, sorry)

GENIUS +infinity

teehee....sorry guys I had to vent. SSL is an amazing piece of equipment and I find it INCREDIBLE how Serato staff listen to its customers and react to our suggestions instead of just hiring a DJ or two to come up with ideas. Thanks!

I think the original idea deserves a +1 =o)
for those of you who need it
meds 8:16 PM - 19 February, 2009
wait so no oompa loompas....not even cool to joke around about such amazing ideas
skinnyguy 8:22 PM - 19 February, 2009
+1 on the oompa loompas...but i ain't bringin them coffee. they can bring their own.
el presidente 3:29 AM - 20 February, 2009
i don't drink coffee but the oompa loompas are a must. looking forward to this in the next beta. thanks in advance.

and +1 on the original idea
djnico 7:13 AM - 21 February, 2009
+1
deepdjdanny 4:23 PM - 23 February, 2009
yep.
JD 5:42 PM - 12 March, 2009
oops.. i just posted a suggestion like this...
JJ FUNK 8:55 AM - 20 March, 2009
A splice feature is absolutely essential. This feature can be implemented with cue points.

A BIG +1
JJ FUNK 10:40 PM - 28 March, 2009
Guys don't let this suggestion drift away into a lost hope!
C. William 11:17 PM - 28 March, 2009
+1
Sydox 6:08 PM - 31 March, 2009
Serato pls add this feature
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 7:22 PM - 31 March, 2009
Yep I'm pretty keen on this one. I'll keep nagging the developers :P
J.J. 4:11 PM - 14 June, 2009
Thanks Nick. I wouldn't have to edit any of my tracks. Plus, if the crowd isn't feeling a certain song, I could enable a seamless jump to a predefined endpoint and mix out.

This feature would be a dream come true for me.
DjStevieG 12:59 AM - 15 June, 2009
This would be great especially in music videos, c'mon serato !!!
PolishPat 9:30 AM - 25 June, 2009
I would love this, especially for the nights that I am asked to play some hip hop, because I love to mix in and out of breakdowns and buildups, but the way hiphop is produced, is that there are just verses and choruses, I would rather skip a chorus/verse or two to be able to cut the hip hop track down from 3:30 to 2:00 and then do a continuous mix from beginning to end, like I would with any other genre, and not have to do the stereotypical 8bar mix then cut 'n such...

+1 for sure!
DJ d.range 5:41 AM - 6 July, 2009
+1
DJ d.range 1:34 AM - 7 July, 2009
This feature would also be very useful in situations like this:
serato.com
VJ Justin Allen 6:58 PM - 26 July, 2009
Quote:
i don't drink coffee but the oompa loompas are a must. looking forward to this in the next beta. thanks in advance.

and +1 on the original idea

We at least need an easter egg oompa loompas that run across your video screen
Audio Preacher 4:49 PM - 27 July, 2009
just want to vote in for this... +++1
spankinfresh 9:38 PM - 27 July, 2009
+1
Pete Moss 9:58 PM - 2 September, 2009
*bump*

pretty pretty please! I'm tired of tying up cue points to do this manually.
djchrischip 3:59 PM - 5 September, 2009
+1 splice lets gooooooo!!!!
Konix 3:25 AM - 9 September, 2009
Still waiting...
Dj BuddyLove 12:41 AM - 10 September, 2009
^^*COUGH*
Pete Moss 3:38 AM - 26 September, 2009
*bump*
JEM 357 8:18 AM - 26 September, 2009
+1
Joshua Carl 2:36 AM - 29 September, 2009
Quote:
+1 would be very cool, especially for videos with interludes

like the idea of inverese (red) loops

+1
SmoothRunningGun 1:38 AM - 1 October, 2009
+1
Would help a lot.
SeriousCyrus 7:26 AM - 1 October, 2009
+1
Justin Styles 3:09 PM - 4 October, 2009
not that anyone else needs to say it but this is a feature I've thought would be great for quite a while.

I think the hardest thing is to make the interface as simple as the rest of serato.
wtfbollos 4:34 PM - 4 October, 2009
i edit tracks outside of ssl, in cubase..

i often find myself cutting long boring drops, cos i only usually play about 3:20/3:30 of each track, so if a drop down comes around that time i need to join up where the beats start again and do away with the drop..
DJ Juanmix 6:05 PM - 10 October, 2009
hell yea +1000 !!!!
Evil_banana 1:23 PM - 12 October, 2009
This would be a great way to remove annoying parts! And I don't want to edit the music I bought or keep doubles and several versions. This could be a really easy way to do so.
+1

As for the interface, I think it's not necessarilly hard to add it and keep it simple too. In my opinion, I think the current interface could even be simplified by something that AKIEM suggested earlier. Instead of having cue points, and loop points and then later on adding these splice-points as well, why not having 10 cue points with parameters?

cue point type 1 = cue point as know
cue point type 2 = loop starting point, when set, the user is asked to determine the endpoint manually or by using autoloop presets.
cue point type 3 = splice out point, when set, the user is asked to determine the splice-in point manually

Right now on the interfaces there are 5 cue points (and I usually only use 1, maybe 2, so thats 3~4 unused taking up screenspace), the loops are beneath that in a less practical way, and adding splice-point options will only add more crap and buttons to the interface.
With the parametered Cue points you could have an easy uniformal interface, show 6 or 7 of these cue points which include ALL your options instead of the current cue point and loop point section.
Eskei83 4:23 PM - 22 November, 2009
push that thing forward!
Jeffsteez 10:11 PM - 24 November, 2009
+1
Dj BuddyLove 6:52 AM - 25 November, 2009
comon now!!!
+1, zillion
DJ Juanmix 6:41 AM - 17 December, 2009
this great idea !!!! ====> =10000000000000000000000000000000<=====
Black Science 12:36 PM - 17 December, 2009
+ Infinity

Bump.

Bump.

Bump.
a DJ 12:20 AM - 20 December, 2009
I already do this seamlessly by blending the last chorus with another chorus, but it would be great if this feature was automated in the software that way you wouldn't have to worry about it. It would be cool if you could also add "censor points," kinda like a loop, but instead of looping the section it uses the censor feature during that section. That way for songs that don't have clean versions, you can just make it in Serato, no loss of quality from making another mp3.
skinnyguy 12:32 PM - 20 December, 2009
electromagnetic 11:33 PM - 20 December, 2009
+100000000000000
Sydox 4:48 PM - 21 December, 2009
Serato, don't waste time on this one
Billy18bm 4:28 AM - 25 December, 2009
this is a good ass feature.. sydox apparently your the only one who doesn't think so.
Black Science 2:21 PM - 19 January, 2010
Does anyone happen to know if this feature made it into v2.0?
WarpNote 4:57 PM - 19 January, 2010
I think there is a "move loop in realtime thing", but I haven't seen splice. I still need to learn Ableton, maybe there's will be some easy way around it at least?
MJB5 6:55 PM - 24 January, 2010
+1
Constrictor 8:40 PM - 24 January, 2010
+1
marana 9:30 PM - 29 January, 2010
big +1 here...SPLICE please, asap.

taking an mp3, doing an edit in a separate editor, and bringing that edited track back as an AIF/WAVE is a huge waste of disk space (you can't edit mp3s directly, as far as i know). and you don't want to have to re-encode the edited AIF track as an mp3 to save space because sound quality gets degraded when you re-encode something that was originally an mp3.
J.J. 10:25 PM - 29 January, 2010
I'm with marana. It takes forever to edit your track. Ableton will convert you track to WAV so you can edit. Splicing a track in Ableton is easy, but time consuming. Once your done, you have to export it as a wav. Then you have to rip that wav to mp3 in a program like CDex (Lame Encoder). Then you have to re-TAG the file. Import into Scratch Live, analyze it and create your Cue points and Loops.

It would be easier if Serato offered a 'SPLICE' feature.
C. William 6:57 PM - 31 January, 2010
yes please
Constrictor 7:27 PM - 31 January, 2010
+1
Henry GQ 11:27 PM - 2 February, 2010
im still down with this idea!

+1billion
Black Science 2:02 PM - 29 March, 2010
FAO mods/admins/devs: Is this feature still on the radar? Is this THE thread for it or is there another one I should be tuned to. Thanks
Henry GQ 7:20 PM - 29 March, 2010
i dont know.. but just make alot of noise for this feature. i def think this is the best thing that needs to be added.
Pete Moss 3:32 AM - 18 April, 2010
*bump*

surprised 2.0 doesn't have it.
Henry GQ 4:27 PM - 18 April, 2010
i think this is the best feature u could possibly have!!! that has not been introduced
Black Science 8:15 PM - 21 April, 2010
Quote:
i think this is the best feature u could possibly have!!! that has not been introduced
Black Science 11:25 AM - 6 October, 2010
Just checking in to see if this feature is still on the radar. It's really the only thing left I want out of SL. Any news? Mods?
skinnyguy 11:28 AM - 8 October, 2010
pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease
soularus 1:49 PM - 8 October, 2010
Traktor Scratch Pro already has this feature. CDJ2000's already have this feature. Ableton already has this feature. Why not Serato Scratch Live?

I've just recently switched over to SSL (mainly for The Bridge) and this is one feature I really miss about Traktor. Basically in Traktor (and on CDJ2000's) you have the option to quantize your cue points. I would go through and set cue points at key moments in my tracks, like just before a breakdown, during the outro, etc, and then you can jump to these cue points at any time, doing a re-edit of the track "on the fly". Because the cue points are quantized, the jump to the cue point is seemless. You can even enable "beatjumping" where you can skip forward or back 32 beats on the fly and it's completely seamless, which is amazing for doing quick, on the fly edits.

Serato, The Bridge is dope, but please give us more tools for doing on the fly edits of our tracks, like quantized cue points, beatjumping, etc! The beatgrid will allow this to happen.

Not asking for sync mode (I still want to beat match!) I'm just asking for quantized cue points and beatjumping.
Konix 11:15 PM - 8 October, 2010
Well, that's not technically the same thing. Quantize would be nice to, but what we're talking about here is automatic jumping from one point to the next so you don't have to manually trigger anything.
Evil_banana 1:07 PM - 11 October, 2010
Quote:
Well, that's not technically the same thing. Quantize would be nice to, but what we're talking about here is automatic jumping from one point to the next so you don't have to manually trigger anything.

Or don't have to make edits and different versions of songs which makes organizing even more of a pain. Simply programming a "Jump-out" and "Jump-in" Cue is fastest and easiest way to do this without changing anything to your original file other than some extra tagging-data.
soularus 10:59 PM - 11 October, 2010
The thing to remember is that you're not always going to want the edited version of the song to play. Imagine if you dropped a track, and just before the best bit, it suddenly skipped to the end because you'd forgotten to disengage the "splice" mode?

So, there is still going to be some kind of button pushing going on. In this case, you're going to be have to be aware of whether splice mode is engaged, and switch it on or off, depending if you want to play the edited version or not. And Evil_Banana is right, you DON'T want to have multiple versions of your tracks in your library. Otherwise, we haven't progressed far from doing actual edits in an audio editor.

So, my point is, if you are still going to have be aware of whether or not splice mode is engaged, why not just set Quantized cue points at key points in the song, and jump to them when needed? If a cuss word is coming up, why not just push Beatjump and skip 16 beats ahead on the fly? If you want to skip to the breakdown, why not just jump to the Quantized cue point at the start of the breakdown?

I feel that using Quantized cue points and Beatjumping actually gives more flexibility than an automatic "splice" mode, because you are going to be doing it all on-the-fly anyway.

HOWEVER, it's not like we have to choose one or the other.

As Evil_Banana points out, a simple Jump-In, Jump-Out Cue Point type (quantized of course), would make quick automatic edits a very simple process. You simply set the Jump-In Point, and the Jump-Out point, and SSL seamlessly jumps to that point when required. An option to switch it On/Off on the fly would be great. Quantizing this would obviously be a huge timesaver, because you could simply set the Cue points and know that SSL had automatically snapped them to the nearest grid marker (no need to zoom right in and ensure you have got it perfect).

We could also have Quantized cue points and quantized Beatjumping (in 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 beat amounts), which give maximum flexibility. We could easily expect ALL these different cue point types to co-exist without drama. Serato could simply colour-code the different cue point types so you know what type of cue point you're looking at, at a glance. This is how NI have implemented different cue point types in Traktor.

Another cool option would be to set a Jump-Out point before a Jump-In point, so that when SSL reaches the Jump-Out point in a track, it automatically jumps BACK to the Jump-In point, effectively creating an elaborate and flexible type of loop. The difference with a loop in this case, is that you can set the Jump-In point at any part of the song (it could be right back at the beginning, unlike a loop which is fixed to a 32 beat maximum).

You could also quantize the Jump-In cue point, so you could effectively engage it at any time, and not have to wait for SSL to pass the Jump-Out point before it jumps to the Jump-In point. Combine this with quantized cue points, and Beatjumping, and you have all the tools you could possibly need for on-the-fly edits and completely non-linear arrangement.

Hey Serato, looking for a way to completely surpass the competition? How about implementing some of the above features? Traktor S4 is just around the corner, and it has some pretty mindblowing flexibility when it comes to cue point types. How about getting a leg up on NI and giving SSL users all they could ever wish for in the cue point department? The beatgrid is in place, lets make it happen!

PS: After reading the above, it appears I may confuse some people regarding Jump-In, Jump-Out point terminology. In my examples, the Jump-In point STARTS the edit, the Jump-Out point ENDS the end. I guess for some people, they imagine it the other way around.
skinnyguy 8:16 PM - 13 October, 2010
uh...yeah, it's like looping. you turn it on or off when desired. if you forget to do it, then that's your fault. big deal.

and looping isn't fixed to 32 counts max. maybe for the quick-loop, but not for manual loop. manual loop can be set between any two points.
soularus 9:18 PM - 13 October, 2010
@skinnyguy, this is true. Loops aren't fixed to 32 beats maximum so setting a long loop and activating/deactivating would achieve the same thing as my Jump-In, Jump-Out cue points suggestion.

I really like the idea behind splicing. Perhaps it could be achieved with different loop types as opposed to different cue point types? You set a "splice loop", and SSL skips to the end point of the splice loop the second it encounters the start point.

I guess I'm just thinking aloud on how the developers may implement these feature types, and offering suggestions.

Definitely a +1 for splice or equivalent modes from me!
AKIEM 1:17 AM - 14 October, 2010
yeah, I always thought it would be cool to be able to make a loop (-) then that part would turn red instead of green and be skipped.
nik39 1:19 AM - 14 October, 2010
Simple, but effective, genious. :)
J.J. 5:48 AM - 15 October, 2010
Almost 4 years later and still no SPLICE. What's Da Dealio Serato?

Quote:
Simple, but effective, genious. :)

:)
deepdjdanny 2:44 AM - 16 October, 2010
so what does the purple loop sections mean?

Quote:
yeah, I always thought it would be cool to be able to make a loop (-) then that part would turn red instead of green and be skipped.
deepdjdanny 2:49 AM - 16 October, 2010
So: What is the significance of a Looping section 'Glowing a light Purple' colour on the rare occasion that an On-The-Fly Loop 'In' point has been set?
Oohh yes!
DJ_MX2 11:59 PM - 22 October, 2010
I even made a post requesting this! Pioneer calls it "quantize" and hot cues on the new CDJ's jump seamlessly

Scratch Live is literally the only DJ software that doesn't have this yet....

serato.com
skinnyguy 9:30 PM - 23 October, 2010
no, but we'll have the bridge...
Dj Ace 3:02 AM - 25 October, 2010
but we HAVE the bridge and its sick...plus ableton is the KING of loop jumping!
AKIEM 7:33 AM - 25 October, 2010
maybe you dont want to use the bridge, you just want to splice
skinnyguy 8:57 PM - 25 October, 2010
but you get to purchase the bridge...
Dj Ace 2:44 AM - 26 October, 2010
true that...just saying its available thats all. defintitely worth just for ALL shhh you can do in ableton along with mixtape, composing tracks etc
Dj Ace 2:44 AM - 26 October, 2010
every DJ needs a good DAW right?
AKIEM 4:59 AM - 26 October, 2010
a DAW is not going to non-destructively SKIP a section after you load a track
Dj Ace 6:00 AM - 26 October, 2010
i meant the ableton is a DAW also...
Black Science 8:19 PM - 27 October, 2010
Wish we could auto splice right now to jump ahead in time to when we'll have this feature. Taking track into Bias Peak, editing the crap out, re-saving, re-imposting back into SL takes f o r e v e r (kinda like getting this feature).
J.J. 11:08 AM - 27 November, 2010
Henry GQ 8:52 PM - 27 November, 2010
i hate u jj LOL
nik39 11:19 PM - 1 December, 2010

Nice.
marcello 11:56 PM - 3 February, 2011
+1 waiting for this feature
Henry GQ 5:16 AM - 4 February, 2011
yeah man i think this feature should be a priority for serato development
Evon 8:01 AM - 4 February, 2011
+1
Mickey Delen 12:43 PM - 8 February, 2011
+1! This feature would be awesome! :)
DJ_'Ready-Made'_Ren 1:38 AM - 9 February, 2011
I have been wanting this ever since I first saw SSL. Even if I had to do it by sacrificing one or more of the nine existing loops, it'd be worth it. In this case I would set my loop as normal, but tell Serato to ignore it (possibly turning red as someone suggested).

How this would be done so as not to clutter up the GUI or make things really confusing when you have some loops playing but others skipped is another story, but you could always make two copies of a tune and have one with green loops and one with red. That's what I have to do now to get extra cue points, so...

But while I'm at it, ultimately I want to be able to do exactly the same thing I've been doing for years in Sound Forge. I.e. create 'regions' (which is essentially what the loops are anyway) and then arrange them into a playlist in any order and as many times as I want.

Ok, so in SF, I can also choose to save that playlist as a new audio file, but I wouldn't need or expect that from SSL. Just let me save the sequence as a playlist and then allow me to throw that playlist on the deck like any other tune. Good times.
[O/][iii][O/] 10:02 PM - 11 April, 2011
Quote:
At 7:40 PM 22 January 2007

For the love of God, over four years now and countless requests for this feature? C'mon already.

ZZZZzzzzzz......
Henry GQ 12:50 AM - 12 April, 2011
im totally with you on this.
thebuttonfreak 4:25 AM - 12 April, 2011
+1
DJ metaphor 7:13 AM - 12 April, 2011
Quote:
im totally with you on this.

it would be insanely nice.
Pete Moss 10:05 PM - 13 April, 2011
Quote:
+1

x10
Pete Moss 10:06 PM - 13 April, 2011
I think this hasn't been done because it doesn't involve a new piece of hardware for you to buy.
Henry GQ 7:17 AM - 14 April, 2011
lol
DJ_'Ready-Made'_Ren 7:54 PM - 21 May, 2011
+1 (again) Gotta keep the faith. Come on Serato.
DJ Stoyvo 6:23 PM - 24 May, 2011
+1

Tractor is taking the game it looks like
DJ Stoyvo 6:24 PM - 24 May, 2011
Dear Serato:

Come out with something we'll actually use pls :)
skinnyguy 7:43 PM - 24 May, 2011
maybe this needs a haiku thread of its own
Billy18bm 5:32 PM - 6 June, 2011
+1 again...
DJ Quartz 2:36 PM - 8 June, 2011
+1
Pete Moss 7:23 PM - 8 June, 2011
+1.5
prizo 4:37 AM - 13 June, 2011
how amazing it would be to have this! Its true, the amount of time, energy, not to mention degradation of sound quality to edit in a daw is crazy! This feature would solve alot. Itch 2.0 would look so good with splice involved. Isn't this something coming with the novation twitch?
serkan 8:48 PM - 14 June, 2011
+1
Love it. Want it. Need it...
Make it :)
ral 7:41 PM - 5 July, 2011
+1
[O/][iii][O/] 8:11 PM - 13 July, 2011
time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'.... into the future
Dj D.ONE 9:19 PM - 13 July, 2011
Everyone wants this, come on Mr Serato add it already!!
Pete Moss 11:47 PM - 15 July, 2011
Let's be honest. The people at Serato have read this numerous times. This would have been implemented by now if they were interested. Their main concern now is introducing new hardware to replace the hardware that we already bought which is still working fine. If this feature is introduced, it will probably require you to purchase the latest greatest hardware because existing hardware will be curiously 'incompatible'.
[O/][iii][O/] 2:14 PM - 16 July, 2011
Quote:
Let's be honest. The people at Serato have read this numerous times. This would have been implemented by now if they were interested. Their main concern now is introducing new hardware to replace the hardware that we already bought which is still working fine. If this feature is introduced, it will probably require you to purchase the latest greatest hardware because existing hardware will be curiously 'incompatible'.

Huh? New hardware for a relatively simple feature? Don't think so. Serato's not that dumb and surely knows its customer base isn't that dumb either. Every hardware upgrade Serato (Rane) has intoduced incorporated real features and performance improvements that only hardware can achieve. Listen, there's plenty of things to currently rag on Serato & Rane about, but what you are suggesting isn't one of them.

That being said, AD THIS FEATURE ASAP! (please)
Pete Moss 4:35 AM - 18 July, 2011
Umm, sarcasm implied.
Henry GQ 1:48 AM - 1 August, 2011
Quote:
Umm, sarcasm implied.

=]
Dj Ace 1:02 AM - 3 August, 2011
this should be possible with the new beat grids and syncing...
[O/][iii][O/] 2:50 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:

This should have been possible over four years ago WITHOUT beatgrids or syncing. SSL has had loops for ages and all this is is basically the opposite of a loop where the start/stop point just automatically jumps from point A to point B rather than repeating from point A to point B. It's not rocker science, but the relatively simple feature would definitely add a ton of flexibility, creativity, etc.
[O/][iii][O/] 2:51 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

This should have been possible over four years ago WITHOUT beatgrids or syncing. SSL has had loops for ages and all this is is basically the opposite of a loop where the start/stop point just automatically jumps from point A to point B rather than repeating from point A to point B. It's not rocker science, but the relatively simple feature would definitely add a ton of flexibility, creativity, etc.

Forgot to mention, this COULD be a Serato first, but at this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see Traktor adopt it first.
skinnyguy 3:15 AM - 3 August, 2011
denon got it on their cd players
[O/][iii][O/] 3:24 AM - 3 August, 2011
Quote:
denon got it on their cd players

Boom! There ya' go. Great, ancient technology CD player gets it before a proper DVS. lol :facepalm:
SoundStage335 4:33 AM - 18 September, 2011
I would absolutely love to see this feature. It would also be great if you could store them in the same way you do with Loop Points.
DJ metaphor 1:14 PM - 18 September, 2011
I'm still doing this with cuepoints. would be nice to have this though.
BMorgan 5:42 PM - 2 October, 2011
+1
Dj Ace 10:24 PM - 9 October, 2011
Isn't this the effects presets..,does anyone have some to share?
Dj Ace 10:43 PM - 9 October, 2011
Sorry wrong thread
[O/][iii][O/] 11:35 AM - 10 October, 2011
Check 0m, 50s in this vid. It appears that someone else has beat Serato to the punch... again: Watchwww.vimeo.com
J.J. 4:43 PM - 10 October, 2011
Yes, the ONE features SPLICE among other streamlined audio editing. CRAZY.
skinnyguy 9:33 PM - 10 October, 2011
it was on denon cd decks too, a while back.
Henry GQ 7:57 AM - 15 October, 2011
wow thats awesome! but instead we have dj intro lol
Da Archer 7:24 AM - 16 October, 2011
+1 to this feature too :)
thebuttonfreak 7:07 AM - 1 November, 2011
+1. Simple feature that would really make edits much easier to do. Seems like a win win.
DanSound 3:25 PM - 6 November, 2011
Yes please.

The splice function should be integrated with the loop section. Press the "splice" button, which sits between the "out" and "loop" button, and the "in" and "out" points for the selected loop turn into "splice" points. when playback hits "in" it instantaneously jumps to the "out" point, skipping that part of the track, rather than looping it.

Saves so much time in Abe, and it enables you to decide which version of the track to play after you have dropped it.

Next level stuff.

Please.
Please.
[O/][iii][O/] 12:55 AM - 8 November, 2011
Coming up on five years now since this has been requested. Geez :facepalm:
Henry GQ 11:39 PM - 12 November, 2011
FAIL.
rob can 2:44 AM - 18 September, 2012
+999999999999999

Epic Fail on their part

I really like Akiem's idea of assigning how many times you want to do a loop. I've forgot to undo a loop so many times, it would be nice to hit one button and have the loop come in and out with out having to undo the loop.
BERTO 6:26 AM - 18 September, 2012
Here is haiku man!
Splice feature serato please
These djs want splice!
[O/][iii][O/] 2:42 PM - 21 September, 2012
And yet another year passes by lol/not lol
Dj Wunder 9:04 AM - 10 October, 2012
+1?
[O/][iii][O/] 12:26 PM - 10 October, 2012
-1 for never having added this feature.
[O/][iii][O/] 11:55 PM - 21 February, 2013
darkFunction 10:36 PM - 28 April, 2014
It's pretty terrible that Serato haven't implemented this yet, considering how often it has been requested and how simple it should be to do.

I doubt they even read this, but for what it's worth I would love a splice feature too.
J.J. 1:48 AM - 29 April, 2014
The guys from RANE have read it and think it's a good idea. Skipping to the beat outro anywhere in the track would open up tons of mixing abilities.
Culprit 9:27 PM - 29 April, 2014
bump + 1
WarpNote 7:13 AM - 30 April, 2014
Well, basically now with 8 cue points and quantize you can do it pretty easy manually, as long as you prepare your tracks...
J.J. 4:52 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
Well, basically now with 8 cue points and quantize you can do it pretty easy manually, as long as you prepare your tracks...

No. Not the same. You Cues are not longer real-time when Quantize is turned on. Plus trying to remember where the In and Out Point of 1000's of songs is nearly impossible. I've successfully done it on songs I know real well and the cues were properly labeled, but it threw off my mix trying to mix in the other song.

Plus, it's never perfectly seamless.
Dj Wunder 8:36 PM - 3 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

No. Not the same. You Cues are not longer real-time when Quantize is turned on. Plus trying to remember where the In and Out Point of 1000's of songs is nearly impossible. I've successfully done it on songs I know real well and the cues were properly labeled, but it threw off my mix trying to mix in the other song.

Plus, it's never perfectly seamless.

Let's be honest, nobody really uses the 7th and 8th cue point. If you're spending time to set a splice in a track, it's just as easy to drop the 7th cue point on the "1" before your splice, then the "1" after. With Quantize on, you can achieve a splice with precision. Is this better than having a splice option? No. Do I want to see splice in SDJ? Hell Fu**ing yes
WarpNote 10:33 AM - 6 May, 2014
Uhm yeah, agree with you wunder. Just wanted to point out the quantize option can be helpful in hese situations, as long as your grid is set.
Personally, I set the 1, 2 or 3 last cues for "mix-out" points for my tracks, has been working quite well for me.
J.J. 1:27 AM - 4 August, 2014
SPLICE is here fellas. Good God Almighty SPLICE is here. It took forever, but Serato finally did it.

serato.com
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 2:41 AM - 4 August, 2014
Henry GQ 5:10 AM - 4 August, 2014
omg.. i didnt think i was gonna see this for another 5 years
Culprit 8:29 AM - 4 August, 2014
Mr. Mac 5:09 PM - 3 September, 2014
It's taken over 7 1/2 years but it's finally here. Wow, just wow. Amazing.
djtoast 8:48 PM - 3 September, 2014
hahaha, just read about Flip and thought OMG! THAT THREAD ON THE SERATO FORUMS! FINALLY!

lol