Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Scratch Live appears to be working but sound stops coming out of the box

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Soul Simple 4:10 PM - 7 July, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.0
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: pc
OS Version: win764
---

Since trying Scratch Live and Video SL on my new Windows 7, 64 Bit machine, a catastrophic problem occurs when I am playing; out of nowhere, the sound stops coming out of the box and into the mixer. Everything else appears fine, my videos keep projecting on my extended desktop (when SL happens to be running), the waveforms are moving, I can drag new tracks onto the decks, it responds to cueing, etc. I have been able to fix this by unplugging and plugging the USB cable for the SL box or powering down the TTM 57 mixer and then turning back on, but as you can imagine, this kills the dance floor. All power management (screensaver, hdd, etc) is disabled and all other programs are shut down. Here are my machine specs:

Asus G51jx-A1
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz)
6 GB DDR3 RAM
SL1 box and TTM57 mixer
NVIDIA GTS360M

I've contacted ASUS for a BIOS update, but they haven't released a new version for this issue and claim that it is caused by a compatibility problem of USB controllor in the new chipsets from intel. Furthermore, they stated that Microsoft has yet to release an update for resolving this kind of problem.

Is there another avenue for me to pursue? Has Serato or Rane identified a work around? Please assist asap, otherwise I just bought a $1,500 paper weight.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:54 PM - 7 July, 2010
Right now we are seeing problems with "i" series processors (PC and MAC) when used with USB1.1 devices (Sl-1 or TTM57). It is an issue we take seriously and have bought a few PC computers in order to duplicate the issue. After a few models we have been able to duplicate it and we are working on more tests in hopes that we find a solution. A solution however can not be gauranteed until we know more about the issue.

You are reporting symptoms that are indicative of this problem. Trouble shooting normally doesn't apply since it is essentially spinning the wheels at this moment.

Do you have access to a SL-3 box?

I'm sorry for the lack of solution, but at this moment we are doing everything within our power to solve this dilemma. Thank you for your patience.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 12:27 AM - 14 July, 2010
Hi Soul Symple.

If you are able to test using a good USB hub, we are currently testing to see if this helps some users.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:35 PM - 15 July, 2010
We are now testing a potential workaround for "i" series drop outs and connectivity issues when using USB 1.1 devices (SL-1 / TTM57). We are testing a workaround using USB 2.0 hubs. If you have one, please try connecting your Sl hardware to it and then connect the hub to the computers port. (Only recommended for people having these issues)

If you have success trying this workaround / or not, we would like to know a few things.

Is the HUB powered or non powered?

How many ports are on the HUB?
(Try this solution with only the SL hardware plugged into the hub)

What brand is the HUB?

What model number is the HUB?

Do you get positive results using the HUB on all of the computer ports?

If possible, can you attach a link to the exact model and place where you purchased the HUB?

I have tried a few that we have in the office. No luck so far but there are more than 2 models of USB 2.0 hubs out there. Here are my results. Please post yours in a similar manner. Thank you guys :)

Non powered HUB -

Belkin 2x1 USB Peripheral Switch
Model# F1U201
www.amazon.com

Powered HUB -

Belkin Hi-speed USB 2.0 4-port Hub
Model # F5U304
www.amazon.com

Dlink DUB-H4 Hi-speed USB 2.0 4-port Hub
Model # DUB-H4
www.amazon.com

Results - No improvement
3:28 AM, 6 Aug 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.