Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Free Quartz Compositions -> Folder Slideshow for images, videos, compositions

radikarl 9:37 AM - 31 March, 2010
Hello,

i've created a set of three Quartz compositions and released them under
CC BY SA License (creativecommons.org)

There is one composition for pictures, one for videos and one for other Quartz Compositions

They give you the ability to slide trough your images, videos or even quartz compositions in a configurable way.

All you have to do is load the compositon for an audio track, and place some media in the corresponding folder.

you can change the content of the folder in your Finder (e.g. drag and drop new images) while the composition is playing, and it will notice the change.

The compositions have two options you can easily change with Quartz Composer:
- whether you want a random slideshow or "in order" - just rewire where the red note says so
- the speed i.e. the time in seconds each composition is shown - just change the value where the other red note says so.

the quartz-slider forwards all parameters it gets from serato video SL to the loaded compositions.

this means especially, that you could load the image-slider and the video-slider or even another instance of the quartz slider inside the composition slider.

you can find the files here:
www.toka-disco.de

Feedback appreciated.
skinnyguy 7:21 PM - 31 March, 2010
image slider is pretty cool. is there a way to make the pics fade into each other instead of cut?
radikarl 9:08 AM - 1 April, 2010
did anyone even realize what quartz slider allows you to do?

i think i will make some demo videos.
Wizzy 6:53 PM - 1 April, 2010
This would be nice to see
Thank you
radikarl 10:55 AM - 4 June, 2010
it seems the since ssl2.0 the compositions only works if you first save it as video track for the audio and then unload and reload the track. otherwise the content of the composition is not loaded. i don't know how to fix this yet
Funkytownstopsix 12:53 PM - 4 June, 2010
demo yes
radikarl 12:26 PM - 7 June, 2010
www.toka-disco.de

sorry for the bad sound quality, old microphone and i'm having a cold :-D...
plus i'm not a native english speaker....

but i hope you understand me

hope this helps you to understand what can be done with the compositions
vinylmanipulator 8:14 PM - 7 June, 2010
radikarl...awesome! Thanks for sharing...
Eduardo Serrano 10:52 PM - 28 October, 2010
Great stuff, I did not have to eject the track, it worked for me right away
radikarl 7:44 AM - 29 October, 2010
yes, they updated something. i forgot to mention.
happy that you like it
spicaly 3:50 PM - 25 January, 2011
is there an idiots guide to using quartz compositions in serato?
Joshua Carl 4:44 PM - 25 January, 2011
great work-a-round

i would love to be able to use quartz composer
ive opened it a dozen times and cant get shit to happen
jbnyc 8:12 PM - 24 April, 2011
hey radikarl can you please upload the tutorial videos again, the link is dead up there,thanks!!
radikarl 2:07 PM - 26 April, 2011
sorry i accidentally deleted it.
but it was too long anyways. i will record a new one, simple and plain.

this week...
Funkytownstopsix 2:17 PM - 26 April, 2011
Quote:

this week...
jbnyc 3:38 PM - 26 April, 2011
Quote:

this week...

That would be awesome,thank you!
radikarl 12:39 PM - 27 April, 2011
video showing qtz slider.
(image slider and movie slider work the same way, only with other file types.)

Watchwww.youtube.com

you can easily configure the swapping time and the order if you edit the files with quartz composer.

if you add (or remove) content to the folder which is scanned, the qtz will automatically update and use the new content.
jbnyc 3:55 PM - 27 April, 2011
Awesome! Thanks radikarl!! Cant wait to get home and check it..(nm)
Draven1327 5:40 PM - 10 June, 2011
hey radikarl thank you so much for this!!! its gonna help out alot i got it to work great but now i have to learn how to make the quartz files like your tom and jerry one. any tips??

also one of your old post u had the continuous video qtz, u explain how to use it but i coudnt find the file u mind helping a buddy out ;-) thank you again for you help u are awesome!!!! keep up the good work
radikarl 9:07 PM - 14 June, 2011
tom and jerry video:
you might have noticed in the video that there are two MOV files in that folder also.

the tom and jerry qtz, as well as the first one with the guy and the girl in black and white are actually short video clips that are cut with video editing software to be a natural number of beats long.
the qtz files in the folder are programmed to just load a video with the same name and repeat it seamlessly.
by adding the extra information of how many beats are in this short video clip, i can "sync" it to the music.
so for each short clip, i need an extra qtz. where i can add that information specifically per video

but this can be done with copy and paste, and then i just have to quickly enter the number of beats into that copied qtz for a new video and that is it.

this could be made even more user friendly with a configuring text file, but i didn't find the time to do it yet and it was sufficient for my needs that way.

i think i will do this in a not so far future and release a full package...

sadly, the videos are not necessarily "on point" but at least at the same speed as the music due to the relative nature and data treatment of everything in QTZ.
if Serato allowed to get beatgrid information or even the position of the first cue point into QTZ, other things ans better syncing of the visual content would become possible.
radikarl 9:09 PM - 14 June, 2011
continuous video:
i don't even remember that i posted this.
can you show me where?
i am sure i can help you with that.

however the trick is to just define a starting time inside of an XML file, then read that with QTZ and use it as starting point.
now if several music tracks load the same QTZ, it will still always refer to the same starting point as defined in the XML, therefore the QTZ (and whatever is inside, e.g. a video) will keep playing continuously even though the track changes.
Draven1327 5:07 PM - 19 June, 2011
yeah i think for most parties i do close counts. im new to qtz files so ill try what u talking about at least until u can get the package ;-)

how do you integrate the xml file with the qtz??

heres the post your wrote, yeah it was a year ago but like i said im just starting so all the info i can get is awesome

serato.com
radikarl 8:14 PM - 19 June, 2011
ok lets discuss it there since this is where it belongs.
radikarl 8:40 PM - 19 June, 2011
radikarl 11:21 PM - 24 June, 2011
Quote:
image slider is pretty cool. is there a way to make the pics fade into each other instead of cut?

yes, i will probably release something capable of doing this quite soon
simonak 12:46 AM - 25 June, 2011
amazing, cant wait to try these out
controversial 1:59 AM - 5 September, 2012
is there a new one that will fade pictures into each other?
radikarl 2:06 PM - 2 May, 2014
there is, now.
serato.com
Joshua Carl 7:05 PM - 2 May, 2014
boom! good work man!
Joshua Carl 7:10 PM - 2 May, 2014
Question.

in the next build.
is it possible to do a size/scale for when using the overlay window (not the deck1/2)

so if you want to do a slideshow OVER your mix.

I think this would be very useful if you work with an event/nightlife photographer in realtime
to have night images posted as they are taken.

heres is what I see.

Photographer takes pictures that get uploaded in realtime to a drop box that you share
that Dropbox folder is where the QTZ points to.
as the folder gets populated throughout the night, the pictures come up on the screen.
but not take up the entire screen.
radikarl 8:29 AM - 3 May, 2014
Updated.

three new parameters.
X position
Y position
Size