DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mac Os X El Capitan Update Breaks Music Software

DjWoody 5:54 PM - 29 September, 2015
Just got emails from both Native Instruments & Arturia stating to NOT update to El Capitan. NI's issue is HUGE, as it causes kernel panics with Traktor, Maschine, Komplete and older hardware. NI has beta fixes but are not complete yet. Arturia on the other hand, doesn't.

Hopefully we'll hear from Serato soon.
DJ Remy USA 6:11 PM - 29 September, 2015
Never update to any new operating. You are asking for things to break Im always at least one to 2 operating systems behind the current because those are always a bit more stable and have the proven track record of working
Joe Fresh 6:32 PM - 29 September, 2015
I got that email too, sounded scary.

Waiting for the thumbs up from Serato, Rane, Pioneer, etc. before upgrading to El Capitan.
Davideon 7:51 PM - 29 September, 2015
Numark have done the same on Twitter
DjWoody 8:10 PM - 29 September, 2015
Ouch! Seems like Apple dropped the ball on this one.
d:raf 9:10 PM - 29 September, 2015
Still on Mtn. Lion :D.
DJ GOODFOOT 9:16 PM - 29 September, 2015
Apple has been dropping the ball since Steve Jobs stopped running the company. They used to be the gold standard for stability and user friendly interfaces, now they rush to get new operating systems and product upgrades out at a rate that doesn't allow for adequate testing. I have the new OS for both my phone and one of my laptops and I don't like either one.
DJ Remy USA 9:19 PM - 29 September, 2015
If Mac keeps failing we could see a resurgence of Windows being stable they got rid of that NT kernel they were using for the past 20 years with Windows 10. All they need to do is get rid of the registry next and Windows will be as stable as Linux because the registry is what really causes so many issues on those Windows systems.

Dont upgrade

10.8 is the best OSX version for musicians and producers in my opinion
pdidy 9:55 PM - 29 September, 2015
Quote:
Never update to any new operating. You are asking for things to break Im always at least one to 2 operating systems behind the current because those are always a bit more stable and have the proven track record of working

these people rushing to update are definitely amateurs but the fact is WE (the more knowledgeable user) need them to play lab rat to fix all the bugs and issues in a timely fashion. So by the time we need to update the the path will be clear and easy for us.

So I don't warn them anymore, I encourage their bravery to ensure my safety.
DjWoody 10:08 PM - 29 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

these people rushing to update are definitely amateurs but the fact is WE (the more knowledgeable user) need them to play lab rat to fix all the bugs and issues in a timely fashion. So by the time we need to update the the path will be clear and easy for us.

But not everyone is able to stay two OS's behind, specially those who will buy a new computer that comes with the latest system preinstalled.
Β 6 10:17 PM - 29 September, 2015
I don't understand how this is Apple dropping the ball. Developers have the chance to test these updates before they are made public. If anything, it's their fault.

nm
pdidy 10:22 PM - 29 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But not everyone is able to stay two OS's behind, specially those who will buy a new computer that comes with the latest system preinstalled.

Absolutely TRUE, but that comes with anything new if you chose to be an early adopter.
DJMark 5:40 AM - 30 September, 2015
Quote:
Apple has been dropping the ball since Steve Jobs stopped running the company

You're forgetting some truly catastrophic data-loss bugs that were in some of the Mac OS versions around 2002-2004, Steve Jobs alive and well at the help and with the iPhone years in the future.
DJMark 5:41 AM - 30 September, 2015
^ helm not "help".
DJMark 7:50 AM - 30 September, 2015
Anyone tried it with Scratch Live 2.5 yet?

It would be most ironic if it fixed the bug I wrote about here:

serato.com

"Closed due to inactivity"...hmm more like closed due to hopelessness of the situation and people posting about unrelated issues, I guess.
BleedR 12:20 AM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:
I don't understand how this is Apple dropping the ball. Developers have the chance to test these updates before they are made public. If anything, it's their fault.

nm

+1000
Matterhorn 3:24 AM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:

nm

This. With anything I usually wait 2-3 weeks before updating.
DJ GOODFOOT 7:48 AM - 1 October, 2015
Apple failures:

-Apple Maps
-Dropping the professional Final Cut Pro platform for X
-Rushing products out at a pace that outside developers and in house engineers obviously can't keep up with
-Forcing U2 album onto every iphone in existence
-focusing on making products thinner and lighter which sacrificed functionality

I still am a believer in Apple and have both my work and personal media built around Apple products. That said, I still use Final Cut 7 which has now been unsupported for years and I'm looking at other options moving forward.
pdidy 8:27 AM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:
Apple failures:

-Apple Maps
-Dropping the professional Final Cut Pro platform for X
-Rushing products out at a pace that outside developers and in house engineers obviously can't keep up with
-Forcing U2 album onto every iphone in existence
-focusing on making products thinner and lighter which sacrificed functionality

I still am a believer in Apple and have both my work and personal media built around Apple products. That said, I still use Final Cut 7 which has now been unsupported for years and I'm looking at other options moving forward.

i'm not quite sure how this failure list is relevant in this topic but nonetheless I'm actually impressed with apple if that's as bad as it gets.....lol
BleedR 10:03 AM - 1 October, 2015
It doesn't Break Rekordbox DJ!
At least not with LAN as I just tried it.
Finally the wait is over!
Dominic Carterβ„’ 11:22 AM - 1 October, 2015
hmm..

"ATTENTION MAC USERS: Pioneer DJ advises you NOT to update to Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11) at this time. We have discovered some issues and are currently working on a solution. We will continue to update you on the status. Thank you for your patience and support"

www.pioneerdj.com

"Our first tests show that different issues occur when running the following products under OS X El Capitan. We therefore cannot recommend our customers to update to OS X El Capitan.

DJM-S9, DJM-2000NXS, DJM-2000, DJM-900NXS, DJM-900SRT, DJM-850, DJM-750, DJM-T1, DJM-5000

DDJ-RZ, DDJ-SZ

XDJ-AERO, XDJ-RX, MEP-7000

RMX-500"

Quote:
WarpNote 12:27 PM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:

What are the cannot-live-whitout-features you've waiting so long for?
Β 6 1:27 PM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:
hmm..

"ATTENTION MAC USERS: Pioneer DJ advises you NOT to update to Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11) at this time. We have discovered some issues and are currently working on a solution. We will continue to update you on the status. Thank you for your patience and support"

www.pioneerdj.com

"Our first tests show that different issues occur when running the following products under OS X El Capitan. We therefore cannot recommend our customers to update to OS X El Capitan.

DJM-S9, DJM-2000NXS, DJM-2000, DJM-900NXS, DJM-900SRT, DJM-850, DJM-750, DJM-T1, DJM-5000

DDJ-RZ, DDJ-SZ

RMX-500"

Quote:

See that? "We have discovered" meaning these guys are not even testing shit until it's out.

Like I said. Not. Apple's. Fault.

nm
BleedR 1:54 PM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

What are the cannot-live-whitout-features you've waiting so long for?

I have Problems with SDJ, known bugs, that they werent able to fix since Mavericks.

Quote:
hmm..

www.pioneerdj.com

DDJ-RZ, DDJ-SZ

RMX-500"

Quote:

As I posted in another thread, havent received that email and my first tests with an MacBook Pro 2011 were successfull.
I'm using 10.8.5 as of now for gigs, on an USB 3.0 stick
WarpNote 2:12 PM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:
I have Problems with SDJ, known bugs, that they werent able to fix since Mavericks.
What bugs? And were these fixed due to El Capitan? You lost me....
DjWoody 11:41 PM - 1 October, 2015
Serato has jumped aboard....

-------------

Mac OS X El Capitan

Serato DJ and Serato DJ Intro do not currently support Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11).

We do not recommend updating to El Capitan. We are currently investigating some early reports of serious compatibility issues with hardware connectivity and audio. We're working hard to ensure stability with this OS as soon as possible and there will be updates that add support in the near future.

If you have already updated and are experiencing issues, please contact the Serato Support Team so we can help.
DjWoody 11:44 PM - 1 October, 2015
Quote:

See that? "We have discovered" meaning these guys are not even testing shit until it's out.

IMO, it it was just one or two companies, I'd agree with you. But almost all audio companies having major issues? That's way too much.

nm
SpinThis! 1:20 AM - 2 October, 2015
Ah yes, once again, people beat up on Apple when it's really the developers who've been slacking off since June. Apple specifically pushes out developer releasesβ€”8 of them in factβ€” so developers aren't blindsided when the final version is released. There's been 8 betas, a public, and GM.

It's really a missed opportunity to instill some confidence in your customers as well as riding the wave of "hey we're ready to go on El Cap! We're proactive!" Even Adobe, hated by many, has certified their apps to go for El Capitan.

I have to wonder who's calling the shots on the dev teams.
DJMark 11:49 PM - 2 October, 2015
The issue (from the developer side) with testing "beta" OS releases:

There is a huge disincentive to put a lot of resources into that kind of testing, because it's entirely possible something in the final OS release will behave differently than the beta releases.

With Adobe, given the large userbase and the long relationship with Apple, they most certainly had resources and lines of communication available that smaller companies wouldn't have.
SpinThis! 12:40 AM - 3 October, 2015
Quote:
it's entirely possible something in the final OS release will behave differently than the beta releases

Sure it certainly is possible but it's also a terrible excuse. An OS X point release could break everything as well and users are even more likely to upgrade to that.

Let's not forget Apple themselves have an investment in the ecosystem as well. The last thing Apple wants to do themselves is complete 180 on APIs from beta 1 to GM because that's more work they have to do and support.

Quote:
With Adobe... they most certainly had resources and lines of communication available that smaller companies wouldn't have.

Many smaller, indie developers have had no problems getting their apps ready, either. Like I mentioned before, adequate testing is the only way to ensure things work. Usually after the first few betas Apple has things pretty firmed up. It's just disappointing that Serato waited until the very last minuteβ€”public betaβ€”to even think about doing any testing.

I've always likened software and tech in general to jumping on a moving train. At some point if you wait long enough, you're going to get left behind, it's just a matter of when to jump and that can make all the difference.

Especially considering Apple is billing this as more of a refined, maintenance release without that many features, users are going to expect that it's going to be a safer upgrade and go ahead with it (even if there are serious, under the hood improvements).

I understand the need to save resources but from a marketing and customer service side, you come off as a bunch of corporate bean counters. Which e-mail would you rather see from a company?

Quote:
"Sorry, our apps aren't ready for El Cap yet! We waited until the last minute to start testing so don't even try using them yet, there's serious compatibility issues."

OR
Quote:
"We're all ready for Apple's newest OS! Yup, ready on day 1. Come to our website, grab the new release, and buy another set of control vinyl while you're at it..."
dj_soo 12:42 AM - 3 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
hmm..

www.pioneerdj.com

DDJ-RZ, DDJ-SZ

RMX-500"

Quote:

nm

Apple has a habit of making major changes to architecture even from beta to beta so sometimes it can be apple's fault. This has happened a lot in iOS.
Β 6 12:54 AM - 3 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
hmm..

www.pioneerdj.com

DDJ-RZ, DDJ-SZ

RMX-500"

Quote:

nm

Apple has a habit of making major changes to architecture even from beta to beta so sometimes it can be apple's fault. This has happened a lot in iOS.

That's the "cost" of making something as "perfect" as possible.

nm
djhecktik 3:04 AM - 30 May, 2016
Do Not download the new OS X El Capitan