DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane - Your Feature Suggestions for Future Mixers

Culprit 5:16 PM - 6 August, 2015
Looking forward past Rane's latest release, the Rane TTM57MKii,

its competition the Pioneer DJM-S9 is going to give it some massive competition, and its $100.00 cheaper from what I have seen.

So, my question to you current and future Rane guys, what do you want to see in Rane's next mixer?

For me, those pads on the S9 are a must. Needs to be 8 per channel of course..

Stem support via Serato DJ? I think that has to happen.

Watchwww.youtube.com

I think moving forward with a design similar to a Traktor Kontrol S8 without the platters, dvs compatible..

am i thinking to forward into the future? i mean, the technology is available in Traktor right now.

Screens on the mixer for stem support. Thoughts?
djcaba 5:33 PM - 6 August, 2015
So far i believe the s9 may be the pinnacle of scratch mixers that could even put rane out of business in my opinion....

Maybe a 4-channel rane version of the s9 (although the 8-pad layout may be patented), or a layered deck functionality... ?

Cheaper prices on rane equipment would definately be a great marketing technique to keep business flowing

How about USB ports (3.0) on the mixer itself to allow laptop-less DVS djing using turntables and flash drives?

Stem support is a plus.

And making dual USB ports standard (like on the 62)...

More effects couldn't hurt

Standalone rane-quality fader (to compete against the Raiden faders)

Include flip, hot cue, etc functionality
Detroitbootybass 8:09 PM - 6 August, 2015
Quote:
So far i believe the s9 may be the pinnacle of scratch mixers that could even put rane out of business in my opinion....

That's a bit hyperbolic.

Rane makes audio gear beyond scratch mixers (or even anything DJ related). A Pioneer mixer is not going to put them out of business.
JD WAS. 8:14 PM - 6 August, 2015
Update the 64 with the sound card/circuitry of the mp2015 and the upfadders of the 62
djcaba 8:17 PM - 6 August, 2015
Ok ok. I might have been a bit over-perpective, but Rane may lose a large fan base to the "mag"-faders, pads, effects, etc....

Keywords to remember here are "may" and "could"...

Rane should consider making direct drive turntables or CDJs... So then I could have a full range Rane setup (like full range Pioneer setups). Just a suggestion.
boogiebears 5:42 AM - 7 August, 2015
..usb pass thru ala traktor z2.
05spoof 5:21 PM - 8 August, 2015
Quote:
Update the 64 with the sound card/circuitry of the mp2015 and the upfadders of the 62

I thought the same thing at first with having magnetics on the channels on a sixty-four but after awhile it became apparent that the fader's are too close for me to feel comfortable to go upfader crazy. Especially with the headphone controls in the way. I'm constantly bumping the volume up and I get the immediate ear killing volume in the cans or get a painful surprise later when I go to cue in the headphones.

Quote:
..usb pass thru ala traktor z2.

+ 10

I'de like to see 8 RGB pads lined up on the sides of battle style mixer so the the thumbs and pinky finger have direct access to the pads when using a turntable

More efx, I have yet to find a suitable use for flanger or phaser other then just to be silly with. Having different types of echo's would be nice. Ones that breakdown or build up and even one that's combined with a HP or LP filter sweep. A noise sweep build up or breakdown effect would be nice too.

I'm down for a screen at the top of mixer as long as it's an add-on accessory.

Sharp setting on the channels that matches the crossfader.

Lastly actual hardware headphone tone controls like the ones found the Empath on every Rane mixer from this point on.
PopRoXxX 8:11 PM - 10 August, 2015
The ONLY think I like about the S9 are the pads. If the 57mkII had these 8 pads on each side, the S9 vs 57mkII discussion would have to be WAY more in depth about how it's built to be a battle between the two. I need to say that Rane faders will always win until someone takes a page out of the Rane book on this.
PopRoXxX 8:11 PM - 10 August, 2015
ONLY thing*
05spoof 9:06 PM - 10 August, 2015
^So those 15 different beat fx, the leveler switches, and ability to have control over four decks don't interest you a little? The four decks part hasn't been officially confirmed so that feature can't be completely counted.
PopRoXxX 9:43 PM - 10 August, 2015
I never use 4 decks (or 3). No real need for it on my end.

FX levers? On and Off only? With wet/dry controlled on GUI or via the 1 knob that has to control both FX slots by pushing a button for which deck? No thanks. I want complete control of my deck FX separately.

Never liked the on board FX on Pioneer mixers since the 900. 800 was good, but the rest of the S9 FX are SDJ FX just like the 57mkII. So not the new Pios (for me) and I play on the SRT/SZ/900 Nexus multiple times a week. First hand experience day in and out.

I broke multiple stock "magnetic" faders on the newer Pio mixers as well right away. Replaced them all with Innofaders and never broken those in almost 2 years.

I stand by my statement still. But to each their own. This is only my preferred opinions.
PopRoXxX 11:18 PM - 10 August, 2015
4 deck control is cool though! But you only have control of 2 decks at one time --> serato.com

That's a bummer for the S9
05spoof 11:50 PM - 10 August, 2015
Just noticed. Hopefully the muted track can still be played so the control selector could be used like a fader between two decks.
PopRoXxX 11:53 PM - 10 August, 2015
I'm guessing probably not. Once deck is selected, the other deck is muted. They were saying how you can have scratch sentences or whatever ready to go for when you flip over, back and forth. But that seems like a very over the top "Prepare" button IMO.
05spoof 12:16 AM - 11 August, 2015
They just confirmed trick mixing be done on one channel.
PopRoXxX 12:32 AM - 11 August, 2015
Yeah. I saw your post.

That's way too much work for my preference of playing: Load a track on the unused deck, click INT, start mixing INT style (which now means your starting at the screen waveforms - which I detest) then doing a hard drop via switching channels on the mixer. No thanks
05spoof 12:46 AM - 11 August, 2015
You still have to click INT? I misunderstood. I thought that once the selector switched over it would go into internal. I was think doubling the intro's and scratching start of the vocals. Like having three deck's sort of. I wonder what it would sound like tripling a track?
PopRoXxX 12:49 AM - 11 August, 2015
I would think so. Even on regular decks 1 & 2, INT wouldn't happen unless it ran off the time code or you click INT. Maybe you don't, only a direct confirmation would put out there.
Culprit 2:47 AM - 11 August, 2015
it would be dope if you could load scratch tracks there, so 2 songs for mixing, 2 for scratching.
paulorpviana@hotmail.com 8:04 PM - 14 August, 2015
the first thing a battle mixer, the faders Rane has the best crossfader the world without competitors , in fact all 3 equal magnetic faders nothing will ever top that I still love to use my old ttm56 and there is nothing like
paulorpviana@hotmail.com 8:16 PM - 14 August, 2015
I use extensively all 3 faders and there is not anything simple and efficient equal , very easy to clean and lubricate getting always perfect , no one will ever get over it !
AKIEM 12:49 AM - 15 August, 2015
I would like to see 4 Deck control with a 2 Channel mixer.
Maybe there is a hardware solution involved.

And attention paid to the "One Deck" Djing method aka 'using instant doubles'
05spoof 4:41 PM - 15 August, 2015
Quote:
I would like to see 4 Deck control with a 2 Channel mixer.
Maybe there is a hardware solution involved.

And attention paid to the "One Deck" Djing method aka 'using instant doubles'

Someone needs to make a dual deck turntable with two pitch sliders. Only one pitch slider is active at a time. The non active deck goes into internal.
AKIEM 5:48 PM - 15 August, 2015
The way i invision it you would simply choose a deck and all controls would then be associated with that deck. And if that requires a motorized pitch fader so be it - or just use a rotary to control pitch. It doesnt HAVE to be a fader.
05spoof 2:16 PM - 16 August, 2015
Whats a motorized pitch fader?
AKIEM 6:41 PM - 16 August, 2015
Its a fader that would adjust to the correct position depending on the software channel position.
05spoof 8:12 PM - 16 August, 2015
Ahhh I see, like automation for mixing desk. In that case there wouldn't be a need for two pitch controllers. Makes much more sense that way.
AKIEM 8:38 PM - 16 August, 2015
Quote:
Ahhh I see, like automation for mixing desk. In that case there wouldn't be a need for two pitch controllers. Makes much more sense that way.

Except you would only need one. Switching between the two decks the fader woukd fly to postion

I think using a rotary for pitch control makes more sense tho
05spoof 10:54 PM - 16 August, 2015
Was agreeing with the one pitch fader guess I worded it wrong. Would a rotary have finer pitch adjustment then a slider?
Culprit 8:15 AM - 17 August, 2015
I got offered some good cash for my Rane 62z last night to a club and sold it. I will be making the jump to the Pioneer S9 mixer. I know, Rane's support is number one, no company beats it, but there needs to be a little more involvement with us, the Serato users, when making these products I think. I know, they get expert level advice from very respectful djs, but those arent the only dj's using the products, and big time details get missed and really effect the end product.

8 pads per deck for instance. That should of been implemented in the 57mkii right off the bat, along with midi mapping capabilities before it went public.

The more I look at the layout, it makes me mad that pioneer's first battle mixer kinda got it right out the gate.

Anways, that's going to be my route. I will always keep my SL2 and my 57SL for backup.
Culprit 8:35 AM - 17 August, 2015
also, another key feature that is missed, and its a major one, is a security lock system like the plx 1000 and s9 feature. I thought it was on my Rane 62z, but turns out it was not. For club installs, this is a major thing.
Culprit 8:36 AM - 17 August, 2015
Culprit 8:39 AM - 17 August, 2015
05spoof 5:52 PM - 17 August, 2015
Quote:
I got offered some good cash for my Rane 62z last night to a club and sold it. I will be making the jump to the Pioneer S9 mixer. I know, Rane's support is number one, no company beats it, but there needs to be a little more involvement with us, the Serato users, when making these products I think. I know, they get expert level advice from very respectful djs, but those arent the only dj's using the products, and big time details get missed and really effect the end product.

8 pads per deck for instance. That should of been implemented in the 57mkii right off the bat, along with midi mapping capabilities before it went public.

The more I look at the layout, it makes me mad that pioneer's first battle mixer kinda got it right out the gate.

Anways, that's going to be my route. I will always keep my SL2 and my 57SL for backup.

Congrats on the S9. Yeah I myself am pondering about switching to an S9 when it comes to a battle style mixer but will hold off and get some hands-on before that decision is made.

The S9 missed a few key points as well. Like the channel faders not also being magnetic, no inserts for external efx, the footswitch is gone, no dual mode for the pads, and no split cue. It's still a badass mixer but they really could have sealed the deal had they not missed such key features.

Yeah I agree that there should be a much wider approach to input. Having a poll at trade shows or send a poll to those who registered their mixer with a list of features they could expect and ones they would like to see most.
Culprit 8:05 PM - 17 August, 2015
static.keymusic.com

I might be wrong, dual mode might be used via the shift feature. The channel upfaders not being magnetic is a draw back indeed. I never used the footswitch or external effects, but I know the external effects is a big deal for those wanting to use other hardware. Good points!
PopRoXxX 8:34 PM - 17 August, 2015
I don't like the "4 Beat Loop" either. You'll always have to choose the 4 and quickly double or half it, before you do anything else.
PopRoXxX 8:34 PM - 17 August, 2015
Should have been "Auto Loop" just like the controllers IMO
AKIEM 8:57 PM - 17 August, 2015
Actually i think the 57mkii is extremely well reflective of suhhestions here on the forums (without having touched one) it just has the 'show stopper' issues.

As far as i can tell there are only a couple suggestions i may still have to meet near perfection.
05spoof 10:16 PM - 17 August, 2015
Quote:
Actually i think the 57mkii is extremely well reflective of suhhestions here on the forums (without having touched one) it just has the 'show stopper' issues.

As far as i can tell there are only a couple suggestions i may still have to meet near perfection.

The mkII is a pure quality battle mixer no questions about it. Can't say the same about it's current set mappings. The pads while they feel good the blacked out tops make it really hard to distinguish between some colors for example yellow and orange look identical because the only light visible is coming from the edges. There are many more colors that look the same because of this. If the whole button was lit it probably be easy to tell the difference between the different shades of blues, greens, and yellows.
PopRoXxX 11:03 PM - 17 August, 2015
Quote:
The pads while they feel good the blacked out tops make it really hard to distinguish between some colors for example yellow and orange look identical because the only light visible is coming from the edges. There are many more colors that look the same because of this. If the whole button was lit it probably be easy to tell the difference between the different shades of blues, greens, and yellows.

I can say both and yay and nay to this. Yay: because I would love to see the full brightness of the pads like the controllers and S9. Nay: because Rane probably did it from being too bright in dark places
05spoof 11:25 PM - 17 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
The pads while they feel good the blacked out tops make it really hard to distinguish between some colors for example yellow and orange look identical because the only light visible is coming from the edges. There are many more colors that look the same because of this. If the whole button was lit it probably be easy to tell the difference between the different shades of blues, greens, and yellows.

I can say both and yay and nay to this. Yay: because I would love to see the full brightness of the pads like the controllers and S9. Nay: because Rane probably did it from being too bright in dark places

That's my other issue. In dark low light conditions it's hard to see what's what. If you want to use vinyl nothing is lit so I'm always fumbling between roll and efx and cue, loop, and library knobs. Going to get a white skin because of this.
JD WAS. 12:45 PM - 7 September, 2015
Quote:

Make the mixer bigger than it currently is
maybe the size of a djm 2000 to make room for the upfadders
And with the extra space add 8 of the new 57mk2 pads with mode pads for eachchanel for independent control of each chanel and keep the onboard efects
JD WAS. 12:53 PM - 7 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

And with the extra space add 8 of the new 57mk2 pads with mode pads for eachchanel for independent control of each chanel and keep the onboard efects

2rows of 4 plus the mode pads for each channel similar to the new s9
05spoof 6:11 PM - 8 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I would prefer they stuck with the 12" format. They just need to rethink the 64 layout to allow for better spacing on the channels so it can be all magnetic and not cluttered. Like centralizing the fx unit like the 62 and reworking the eq section.