DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rookie - How to book more clients

obviousheist 7:27 PM - 16 October, 2014
Hey Guys, I have done a few gigs in my area, and now I am looking to grow.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I have looked at some gig sites, but most of them require memberships.

appreciate any help!
 6 7:29 PM - 16 October, 2014
It takes money to make money.

Craigslist is free but do you really want to get clientele off there?

nm
obviousheist 7:32 PM - 16 October, 2014
Quote:
It takes money to make money.

Craigslist is free but do you really want to get clientele off there?

nm

Thanks!, what is your experience with craigslist?

and what sites would you suggest to use?
Logisticalstyles 8:15 PM - 16 October, 2014
Craigslist experiences --> serato.com
obviousheist 8:48 PM - 16 October, 2014
Quote:
Craigslist experiences --> serato.com

I'm glad craigslist worked for you! Anything else!?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:26 PM - 16 October, 2014
Even in this day n age of technogoly "word of mouth" is still the best.

I'm only on Instagram and Twitter and I'm booked every weekend.

If your shows are people will find you no matter what...........
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:27 PM - 16 October, 2014
Dam phone.

*if your shows are good people will find you....
obviousheist 9:29 PM - 16 October, 2014
Quote:
Even in this day n age of technogoly "word of mouth" is still the best.

I'm only on Instagram and Twitter and I'm booked every weekend.

If your shows are people will find you no matter what...........

hey that's amazing!

what is your instagram? and you don't advertise anywhere else? How many gigs a month do you usually do?

Anyone else think word of mouth is the best way?
DJ Savage916 7:48 PM - 17 October, 2014
All of my gigs are word of mouth, but I'm look you and looking at expanding using different avenues.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:42 PM - 17 October, 2014
Quote:
All of my gigs are by use of mouth, but I'm look at you and looking at expanding using different avenues.

anal?
nm nh
eugguy 10:02 PM - 17 October, 2014
thats an aggressive approach. make sure to play some d'angelo and have some tissues ready.
obviousheist 12:30 AM - 19 October, 2014
Ahah, you guys are jokes!

Any tips on how to increase word of mouth marketing?
dj_ys 1:31 AM - 19 October, 2014
It's kinda simple if you think about it.

Word of mouth marketing depends on people people feeling positively about you and spreading your message. For that, you need to increase the quantity and quality of your relationships.
obviousheist 7:28 PM - 28 October, 2014
Hey that is true.

I have found that some DJs give their clients a recording of their session. These are more mobile DJs.

That way clients can listen to the mix at a later day, and its free advertising for the DJ.

let me know what you guys think!
rayjthedj 9:17 PM - 28 October, 2014
Same thing I thought when you posted this on the other DJ Forum, but didn't say it. That is not a legal way to use your music library, which hopefully is a bought and paid for library.
DJ Reflex 2:44 AM - 29 October, 2014
Word-Of-Mouth takes time! You gotta be patient and build up your reputation. It's not going to happen overnight and you really can't buy it either. Good DJ's get recognized, bad ones "pay to play."
DJ Remy USA 4:38 AM - 29 October, 2014
You really just need time in game and lots of hustle and dedication. You will spend a few nights wondering why you are even doing this cause you will be broke and it will not be pretty for a long time...so just keep hustling there is no formula now a days to getting booked more.

RonDu 3:00 PM - 29 October, 2014
Word-of-mouth for me and hundreds of business cards. I usually stay booked. However, I do this on the side and am quite afraid to actually promote myself because I know I would be overwhelmed with work and I hate turning down paying gigs.
obviousheist 3:35 PM - 29 October, 2014
Quote:
Same thing I thought when you posted this on the other DJ Forum, but didn't say it. That is not a legal way to use your music library, which hopefully is a bought and paid for library.

These DJs are handing out a recording of their session FREE of charge. Is that still illegal?
I thought it was pretty innovative way to get you some exposure.
Mr. Goodkat 4:13 PM - 29 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
All of my gigs are by use of mouth, but I'm look at you and looking at expanding using different avenues.

anal?
nm nh

i like how bezz is slowly coming out to the board. its ok bezz, we support you, we still think you are marginally funny.
Logisticalstyles 6:24 PM - 29 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

These DJs are handing out a recording of their session FREE of charge. Is that still illegal?

Technically yes it is illegal. You are still distributing the music without authorization. the thing about getting exposure this way is you really don't know who you are exposing yourself to. (nm). What if that CD ends up in the hands of someone who can shut you down? It's like taking a compromising picture and posting it to the internet. Once it's out there with your name attached there's not much you can do to control who sees it.
obviousheist 6:29 PM - 29 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Technically yes it is illegal. You are still distributing the music without authorization. the thing about getting exposure this way is you really don't know who you are exposing yourself to. (nm). What if that CD ends up in the hands of someone who can shut you down? It's like taking a compromising picture and posting it to the internet. Once it's out there with your name attached there's not much you can do to control who sees it.

Hey Thanks for your response. And you make a valid point regarding a CD ending up in the hands of someone who can shut you down.

Many of the DJs I have spoken with don't distribute CDs anymore for this very reason. Instead they upload their recording to soundcloud or some other streaming service and share the link with their client.

I am sure streaming music this way is not illegal, please correct me if I am wrong.
 6 7:04 PM - 29 October, 2014
If you're uploading your mix to mix cloud and sharing it this way, it's still illegal. On the other hand, if you upload to mixcrate or any of the services where each individual song has a link to be purchased, then you're in the clear.

nm
Mr. Goodkat 8:11 PM - 29 October, 2014
one mix caused my homie 20-life. but it was a really long mix.
CMOS 8:25 PM - 29 October, 2014
lol @ handing out a mix being illegal.

Dude hand out the mixes to clients and everyone you know, no ones gonna shut you down.

If you get shut down call the newspaper and tell them what happened it would be the best thing to happen to you.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:43 PM - 29 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Technically yes it is illegal. You are still distributing the music without authorization.

Nah son, once I finish a mix, that shits not even close to music any more.
RonDu 9:30 PM - 29 October, 2014
Quote:
lol @ handing out a mix being illegal.

Dude hand out the mixes to clients and everyone you know, no ones gonna shut you down.

If you get shut down call the newspaper and tell them what happened it would be the best thing to happen to you.

Unless you're like one of those Fake DJ's/ Producers who are making millions of dollars a year I don't think anyone is gonna waste their loot and time trynna prosecute or seek damages for you handing out mixes that you are not receiving monetary compensation for. I think the most you would get a Cease and Desist order.

Hand out those mixes, shun.
phonze 3:52 AM - 30 October, 2014
Yeah I don't think that kind of stuff really happens anymore, or at least very often. I purchase all my music, but that doesn't make me safe when I do gigs if someone wanted to shut me down I don't think. It's just extremely rare.
obviousheist 1:17 PM - 30 October, 2014
Yeah its true that no one will really try to get you in trouble for doing that. I reached out to beatboat and itunes support to find out. I will post back what I find out.