Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Does Serato DJ not have a master gain? Some of my tracks are clipping...

DJ Tecniq 4:35 PM - 16 September, 2014
Where the hell is master gain like in SSL? This is highly frustrating. It's on auto gain and tracks are clipping and changing from 92 db makes no difference whatsoever. "THIS IS horrible"
DJ Tecniq 4:42 PM - 16 September, 2014
Dude someone plz help me Master gain is a super useful tool to have esp if certain tracks are too high it's for making all audio files not clip. How the hell do you ppl use this crap..."Changing the auto gain does NOTHING"
DJ Tecniq 4:52 PM - 16 September, 2014
Nevermind there isn't a master output volume. That really blows back to Scratchlive :)
&Midge 5:08 PM - 16 September, 2014
it very frustrating! I have the same problem as do others.

Add a plus one here man: serato.com
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:12 PM - 16 September, 2014
I thought you deleted serato dj and refused to use it or get help from serato!

Really stop trolling and carry on using scratchlive.

Or open a support ticket like serato have asked you todo.
Ariel M 6:51 PM - 16 September, 2014
Quote:

(Whispering)

Though he's moaning on it, he loves SDJ :)
nik39 10:18 PM - 16 September, 2014
Quote:
Where the hell is master gain like in SSL? This is highly frustrating. It's on auto gain and tracks are clipping and changing from 92 db makes no difference whatsoever. "THIS IS horrible"

Have you tried setting the target auto gain value to a lower value?
deejdave 1:08 AM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:

Definitely NOT an easy task to have your tracks clipping on an application that has been "dragged to the trash". Since you apparently got you gear
Quote:
That really blows back to Scratchlive :)

Again?
DJ Tecniq 2:04 AM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:

uh dude I was using it in offline mode just analyzing files incase I were to test it again to not have problems. It's not trolling it's called bugs!
DJ Tecniq 2:06 AM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Have you tried setting the target auto gain value to a lower value?
yes as I have mentioned in my post "nothing" changes there is no difference I even tried the lowest db it will still hitting red in the gain.
Manny C dot com 9:10 PM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:

Right under your nose:

i.imgur.com
signs 9:33 PM - 17 September, 2014
l think Autogain is not Working in Offline Mode. So check out with HW connected.

Trackgain is still available in Offline Mode. check out The Manual.
DJ Tecniq 10:04 PM - 18 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Right under your nose:

i.imgur.com
Ahh interesting I was using it offline...they really sure add it in offline as well as scratch live. It has it's uses :)
&Midge 6:14 AM - 19 September, 2014
SL2, SL3 and SL4 users do not have master gain....
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:35 AM - 19 September, 2014
Hey guys,

As mentioned here: serato.com master gain for the devices that currently do not have it is something we'd like to add as soon as we can in an update.

I don't know exactly when that will happen exactly, but I appreciate your patience and feedback :)
DJ Tecniq 2:15 AM - 20 September, 2014
Quote:
so it's only for controllers? It's obvious serato Dj is the platform for controllers shame.
&Midge 6:52 AM - 20 September, 2014
hmmmm, not sure it's fair to say that mate.

I understand some of your issues, but really you either need to quit you moaning, or engage with the Serato team when they offer to help you get the most out the product.

There is no shame in using a controller, but constantly being rude, that's another matter!!!!
deejdave 8:36 PM - 20 September, 2014
He is not ready for SDJ. Not everyone is though. Nothing wrong with that. SDJ is more or less a commitment. It CAN be done. There are SOME gambles and chances involved but it does NOT have to be that way.
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:06 AM - 21 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
so it's only for controllers? It's obvious serato Dj is the platform for controllers shame.

The master gain for hardware mixed devices and MIDI controllers technically performs a different function. With a MIDI controller (where all audio mixing is done in the software) we have access to the summed master output, and so we can apply a gain to it, and display a level meter.

With hardware mixed devices e.g Rane SL2, SL3, SL4, Serato DJ literally sends out two separate audio streams to the sound card, which is dispersed out to two separate mixer channels. We don't have access to the summed master output here, so what "master gain" would do, would be apply gain equally, but separately, to each channel.

This is what Scratch Live would have done and it appears to be an oversight that it has not yet been included in Serato DJ, but I can assure you we will get to it.

Yes Serato DJ initially started with only controllers, but we have put a lot of resources into building the DVS functionality into the software in the more recent releases.
DJ Tecniq 5:34 AM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The master gain for hardware mixed devices and MIDI controllers technically performs a different function. With a MIDI controller (where all audio mixing is done in the software) we have access to the summed master output, and so we can apply a gain to it, and display a level meter.

With hardware mixed devices e.g Rane SL2, SL3, SL4, Serato DJ literally sends out two separate audio streams to the sound card, which is dispersed out to two separate mixer channels. We don't have access to the summed master output here, so what "master gain" would do, would be apply gain equally, but separately, to each channel.

This is what Scratch Live would have done and it appears to be an oversight that it has not yet been included in Serato DJ, but I can assure you we will get to it.

Yes Serato DJ initially started with only controllers, but we have put a lot of resources into building the DVS functionality into the software in the more recent releases.
So any update on when Master gain will be coming to SDJ for the race devices?
DJ Tecniq 5:34 AM - 23 September, 2015
Rane*
deejdave 5:41 AM - 23 September, 2015
My guess is VERY soon LOL.
DJ Tecniq 5:46 AM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
Yeah I'll hope and pray by next year considering it's been a year already. Currently beta testing the 1.8 version so we'll see :)
DJ Tecniq 5:53 AM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
Correction nevermind master gain is featured in the beta version for supported DVS hardware...Beautiful!
deejdave 5:55 AM - 23 September, 2015
Yah it is but keep in mind NONE of this is supposed to be posted as per the agreement you made with them prior to testing.................. tsk tsk
DJ Tecniq 6:53 AM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:
Yah it is but keep in mind NONE of this is supposed to be posted as per the agreement you made with them prior to testing.................. tsk tsk
mistakes happen? I've had a few beers does that count...
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:39 AM - 23 September, 2015
I'm watching you DJ tecniq....

;D
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:05 AM - 23 September, 2015
Not suprised at all, Jason fucked up adding this muppet.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 10:41 PM - 23 September, 2015
Haha now now LJ, play nice ;)

Tecniq was invited to the beta due to taking part in the last public beta (1.7.4)

Tecniq will not be incluced in the next invite beta because he was unable to follow the simple agreement for the area this time round.

Thanks all 💘
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:44 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:

He He
DJ Tecniq 11:39 PM - 23 September, 2015
Quote:

Tecniq was invited to the beta due to taking part in the last public beta (1.7.4)

Tecniq will not be incluced in the next invite beta because he was unable to follow the simple agreement for the area this time round.

Thanks all 💘
:(
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 11:41 PM - 23 September, 2015
You have nobody to blame but yourself Tecniq - the rules were very clear.
DJ Tecniq 12:36 AM - 24 September, 2015
Quote:
You have nobody to blame but yourself Tecniq - the rules were very clear.
And that was before I cracked open a few brews :( but i understand.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:15 AM - 7 July, 2016
Quick question regarding the software master gain when using Rane 62?

Is It linked to the Master gain on the Mixer?

Does it affect the summation mix or each channels audio?
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:16 AM - 7 July, 2016
Hey DJ Marv the Maverick,

Quote:
Is It linked to the Master gain on the Mixer?

No, it isn't. Thats a separate master gain apply by the hardware itself.

Quote:
Does it affect the summation mix or each channels audio?

It does not apply to summation mix, that is handled by the hardware. When you adjust master gain in Serato DJ (with the Rane Sixty-Two) it will simultaneously apply to each channels audio, being supplied from Serato DJ, to the mixer.

Serato DJ does not perform any mixing functionality, we simply provide raw audio streams to the mixer, however some users prefer to adjust the master gain in Serato DJ to get all audio streams at a relative volume to other input sources into the mixer (turntables, CDJs, iPod or other software).
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:31 AM - 7 July, 2016
So many gains to adjust lol.

I just set my autogain, I don't touch the mastergain in software every other adjustment is done on hardware.

So from your explanation Martin C, the software master gain will be good say you are going b2b with a DJ using just CDs/Vinyl/USB or if one is mixing together with different sources

Eg Serato on Channel 1 & 2, CD/USB on Channel 3&4 on a four channel mixer.
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:48 PM - 7 July, 2016
Yep auto gain/track gain is per track basis and its primary purpose is to be used when preparing your tracks before DJing, so that your tracks will run out at a nice level. You can, but it isn't really intended to be used during performance.

Master gain is something you should use at the beginning of a set just to calibrate your relative volume against other sources, as you said; Serato DJ on channel 1/2, CD or USB on channel 3/4.

Once you set it you shouldn't really have to touch it during the set.

Alternatively some people don't use it at all, so you'll just have to be concious that where you set the trim on Serato DJ channels may not be the same position (to achieve the same volumes) as where you'd set trims for your other sources.

Some DJs are completely used to that, and it's common issue you might run into when using vinyl vs CD too. The master gain is there to help solve that, but you don't have to use it.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:58 AM - 8 July, 2016
Crystal Clear now. Thanks for the education.
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:02 AM - 8 July, 2016
Anytime DJ Marv :)