Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Please keep cue point colours consistent with SSL workflow

Marv Incredible 7:29 AM - 20 August, 2014
Believe it or not, having coloured cue points is one of the things that made SSL stand out over the competition and I know of a fair few DJs who chose or stayed with Serato because of it.

Take me for example. I use a colour-code system that instantly lets me know how to play a track or what I can do with it, even if I'm unfamiliar with it or never played it live before.

Red = Start or first downbeat of first phrase cycle. This is very useful for tracks that don't start on the downbeat and lets me throw it into a mix in an instant with confidence it'll be in the right place everytime.

Yellow = Denotes a section that contains vocals or melodies, strings etc--something that could potentially cause a key or sound clash. Also used to denote a breakdown (though the waveforms provide a more obvious clue).

Green = Drum and Bass--a loopable section of music that is clean, free from vocals or overpowering sounds and can be mixed with any other green section or even a yellow.

Light Blue = 1 bar/4 beats out from the next phrase cycle.

Dark Blue = 2 bars/8 beats out from the next phrase cycle.

(Some phrase cycles start 1 or 2 bars before the next '1' so these last two are crucial for looping sections of audio that would sound weird if you just brought them in from the '1'.

Purple = Lets me know that this section is off-beat or in a random place, like 1 or 2 beats before the next phrase cycle.

This colour code system has been invaluable to me and I've used it ever since I first starting using SSL many years ago. Every single one of my tracks is coded in this way and it has taken many, many hours to set up my tracks like this. I have been one of those who have been wishing, hoping and praying for colour-coordinated cue point pads so I don't have to look at the screen to know which type of cue I'm dealing with which is why I'm so happy this is finally being implemented, at least for certain controllers.

I never used any of the other colour variations because they're so similar that I found it impractical to try and assign any kind of meaning to them (with the possible exception of orange).

This, by the way, is where numbered cue points could come in handy (a la Traktor), but I can see where cue point naming is even handier, though I haven't used this feature myself yet, possibly because the colour code is so effective for my needs.

So...whats my beef?

In SSL, the cue point sequence would always match up with the on-screen colour grid. 1st would always be red, 2nd would always be yellow, 3rd green and so on, moving down and across the colour grid in the same order every time. But for some reason, when releasing SDJ, you kept the colour grid the same, but the colour sequence changed. So now, the 2nd cue point is set to orange even though it's still yellow in the grid and despite orange still being way over in the 3rd column.

Worse still, in this latest update, you've changed it again so that now, instead of being green, the third cue point is set to dark blue, the 4th is now yellow, and so on with light blue moving from 4th in the grid list to 7th in the assignment sequence.

This is effed up and is seriously hindering my workflow for what seems like no good reason whatsoever. Please, please put it back to how it was. Make the sequence match the grid. Simples.

Please don't underestimate how powerful cue point colours are or how important they are to some of us and, with more colour-coordinated pads on the horizon, I feel it's better to resolve this now than later.

Thank you.
BBN 9:36 AM - 20 August, 2014
Isn't it possible to translate your colors to the numbers very easy?
I'm using various controllers for my cuepoints, but have a similar system for my cues, like 1 is allways the first kick, 2 is allways a snaredrum, ...
I don't really look at the computer screen too much. When it comes to cues, I just know where I find what on my controllers.
Marv Incredible 10:00 AM - 20 August, 2014
I see what you mean, but no, this doesn't work for me in practice (I've already tried it). But, like you, I don't want to have to spend any more time looking at my screen or using my mouse than necessary, which is why colour-coordinated cue pads are a must for me.

The sequencing thing is just more of a convenience really. It saves the amount of times I have to change cue point colours and it seems really unecessary when it worked so intuitively before.

IMO, this is either a bug or an unintentional oversight that somehow got missed in the porting over and if it can be corrected fairly easily with no real fuss then I see no reason why it shouldn't be corrected.

If not, and there really is a good reason for this, then maybe an explanation will give me a better understanding and help me let go of the idea. But until then, it remains one of my biggest bug-bears.
BBN 11:55 PM - 20 August, 2014
Are you really talking about the colors on screen or do you use a pad controller with different pad lights?
Because what is red for you allways was my no. 1 and so on, that's why I feel like I don't understand your problem.
No matter which color is shown, the cuepoints should still be in order like you set them up and you should still be able to recall them on the keyboard or any controller like you did before the colors changed.

Maybe you activated that "sort cues chronologically" option and that's the problem?

I never activated it, because I use cues like any kick on 1, any snare on 2, sometimes my startpoint on 5 or 8 and also have tracks where I use cues for toneplays, all independant from where they apear in a track. So the first note for a toneplay routine could be from the end of a track and maybe the third tone I play is the first in the original track. This wouldn't work with sort cues enabled.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 12:04 AM - 21 August, 2014
Hey BBM,

I think what he means is when you set cue points in Scratch Live they set in the following order,

1. Red
2. Yellow
3. Green
4. Turquoise
5. Blue

In SDJ they set the following order,

1. Red
2. Orange
3. Blue
4. Yellow
5. Green
6. Pink
7. Turquoise
8. Purple

If you are use to certain colours indicating certain sections of a song this can become confusing when triggering cues. I have logged this for our products team to look into further.

Thanks,
Jamie
Dj MacMillz 12:52 AM - 21 August, 2014
Once they are set in SDJ, you can change them to reflect/match the SSL colors.... just use the drop down menu.
Marv Incredible 11:59 AM - 21 August, 2014
Jamie's got it. That's exactly what I'm saying. And thank you for logging it.

Mac, I know I can change the colours but that's the point; I don't want to have to keep changing them if it's not necessary to. And since the colour grid is still in the original SSL order, I just think it makes sense to keep the colour assign sequence in that same order too.
Marv Incredible 12:49 PM - 21 August, 2014
Let me just add that I also get why the actual assignment of colours needs to be different from the original colour grid or set order.

In SSL, we only had 5 cue points, and the first five colours down the grid were all different. So, unless you wanted them to be the same colour, you could quickly set all five cue points and know they'd each be a different colour.

However, now we have 8 cue points PLUS coloured cue pads AND we just happen to have eight different colours to choose from too (yes there are eighteen coloured cells but the others are all just variations of the first eight colours really).

So if we just stuck to the same principle (down and across), we'd end up with 2 x reds and 2 x greens. So not only would you no longer have all different colours, which wouldn't look as good on the pads when they're assigned in order and lit up, you'd also be re-using 2 colours when there still other colours availble.

So what I'm suggesting is that the cue colour assignment should match the cue grid, no matter what the final order is decided to be. Even if it's different from SSL (or how it is now), I can personally live with that and this thread isn't just about me getting my own way for my own personal convenience.

But, for this to work properly and intuitively (i.e. keeping with the original workflow), cells 7 and 8 need to change from the colours they are now to other colours that appear later in the grid. So I'd personally swap cell 7 (red) with cell 13 (orange) and cell 8 (green) with cell 17 (purple).

Then we'd have the following sequence
1=Red
2=Yellow
3=Green
4=Turquoise
5=Blue
6=Pink
7=Orange
8=Purple

But, if TPTB prefer to stick to the colour sequence you have already chosen for SDJ, then at least, make the on-screen grid match the assignment sequence, rather than leaving it as it used to be for SSL.

Phew! I know that was a bit long-winded but I think I got there in the end. :)
Sikwidityo 8:43 PM - 23 August, 2014
+1 Marv Incredible
lindsaymar 3:19 AM - 23 November, 2014
Quote:
ks like this. I have been one of those who have been wishing, hoping and praying for colour-coordinated cue point pads so I don't have to look at the screen to know which type of cu

+1
lindsaymar 3:22 AM - 23 November, 2014
Quote:
Hey BBM,

I think what he means is when you set cue points in Scratch Live they set in the following order,

1. Red
2. Yellow
3. Green
4. Turquoise
5. Blue

In SDJ they set the following order,

1. Red
2. Orange
3. Blue
4. Yellow
5. Green
6. Pink
7. Turquoise
8. Purple

If you are use to certain colours indicating certain sections of a song this can become confusing when triggering cues. I have logged this for our products team to look into further.

Thanks,
Jamie

I meant +1 to this!
serkan 4:44 PM - 23 November, 2014
+1
Even though I always wished there was an option in the setup where I could set the order as I liked. But since I have a Mac I have setup the Automator.app to change the cue colors for me :)
Jay-T 5:31 PM - 11 August, 2015
+1

Any chance of seeing this added to future updates?
DJ Dynamite - NJ 1:19 PM - 12 August, 2015
+1
Cuervo 1:35 PM - 23 August, 2015
+1
sfalta 9:37 AM - 26 August, 2015
+1
msoultan 2:33 AM - 10 November, 2016
Yes, this is very annoying! Looks like I created a duplicate suggestion for this as well:

serato.com
msoultan 3:01 AM - 10 November, 2016
And yet another:

serato.com
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:24 PM - 11 November, 2016
I have to manually change mine back to SSL colors, which is just one of the reasons why I switched back to SSL.
DJ Socrateez 8:35 PM - 22 September, 2018
+1 for allowing you to change the assignments. I like the order red, orange, green for first three. I have to constantly change #3 & #5 to match my coding.