Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Why not SP-8?? Serato DJ

MICH_P 1:36 AM - 21 May, 2014
I have a Pioneer DDJ-SX which has 8 pads and I feel it is such a shame to be able to use only 6 samples leaving the other two pad un-useable in sample mode. Please Serato, create an upgrade that allows us to use all 8 pads. I've heard the argument that there is not room, but someones suggested scrolling....I know there is room when viewed on my 17inch macbook pro.
DJ Compiler 2:29 AM - 21 May, 2014
+1
DjMarcusD 2:40 AM - 30 May, 2014
+100
Leafie 9:02 PM - 31 May, 2014
There is room on widescreen monitors. I wondered why there were 6 rather than 8. With 2 sets of pads you could have 2 rows of desks i.e. 16.
MICH_P 1:02 AM - 1 June, 2014
+1 I really hope to see some-kind of upgrade in the near future. Sounds like it the consensus on the forum's i've been checking out
DJCY 5:40 AM - 4 June, 2014
+1 again for the similar topic,

Sampler requests:
1) need 8 banks
2) loops not stopping when changing banks
3) output to recordable waveform
4) assign effects to individual banks, or samples
Draven1327 3:59 PM - 4 June, 2014
it is sp-6 because when it was started it made sense to have 6 pads. now that the sx/sz and others are out with more pads it makes more sense to up the sampler buttons as well as make them midi programmable.

+1
beisi 10:56 AM - 5 June, 2014
+1

buuuuuut... seriously.... until the SP-6 'sampler' can actually grab a freakin sample from the playing deck it will remain of little value for me... dragging loops with a mouse does not count :/
Mr. Leenknecht 5:16 PM - 21 June, 2014
+1 for the 8 sample slots.
I'm sure there's place for if it gets some small tweaks on the design of the simple view. That one is easy to redesign. The advanced view will need some more effort but if it gets a bit higher, it will be possible.
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:03 AM - 22 June, 2014
Hey guys,

Something we would like to do in the future no doubt, but I couldn't say when we will get stuck in to it exactly. I would like to be able to address this first:

Quote:
2) loops not stopping when changing banks

Hey DJCY, could you explain what you mean by this?

Quote:
3) output to recordable waveform

I am also interested to understand more about what you mean by this comment beisi:

Quote:
buuuuuut... seriously.... until the SP-6 'sampler' can actually grab a freakin sample from the playing deck it will remain of little value for me... dragging loops with a mouse does not count :/

In what way do you want the sampler to grab samples? How do you imagine it work?
DJ Compiler 3:39 AM - 22 June, 2014
As far as making the SP-6 a true sample player some of the ideas I posted here might be relevant.

serato.com

I think this would keep the SP-6 from becoming "a jack of all trades and a master of none"
Gabriel Fonseca 4:03 PM - 23 June, 2014
Martin C,
DJCY has said that Serato should change the sample bank to B without stopping the sample (song) that was playing at the bank A.
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:19 AM - 25 June, 2014
Quote:
DJCY has said that Serato should change the sample bank to B without stopping the sample (song) that was playing at the bank A.

Ah of course, that makes sense. Silly me!

Your ideas are really cool too DJ Compiler! I will track that discussion to see what other ideas come out of the works :)
DJ Compiler 3:27 AM - 25 June, 2014
Thanks Martin. I'll go into more depth on that thread with how I envisioned it if you like
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:35 AM - 25 June, 2014
Sure thing!
beisi 9:44 AM - 26 June, 2014
Quote:

Quote:

In what way do you want the sampler to grab samples? How do you imagine it work?

Mappable button(s) per sample slot to grab the active loop from either deck or master or if no loop whatever the move length is set too when it is pressed.

To be decently functional IMO the minimum requirements would be how Traktor's SAMPLE (not REMIX) decks used to work in it's earlier version.

Am not looking for Ableton like mass loop triggering capability, but rather the ability to quickly grab a sample from a deck to free it up. This would be tremendously useful for anyone mixing with a 2 deck controller and is seriously a -basic- feature that I think Serato sorely misses.

Correct me if i'm wrong but this already exists with the ability to mouse drag a loop from a deck to the sample player. This shouldn't be toooooooo difficult to add some additional midi mappable commands right?
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:24 AM - 27 June, 2014
Quote:
Mappable button(s) per sample slot to grab the active loop from either deck or master or if no loop whatever the move length is set too when it is pressed.

I like the idea of having a quick way to move a loop from a deck to a sample slot. What do you mean by "if no loop, whatever the move length is set too when its pressed"?

Quote:
Correct me if i'm wrong but this already exists with the ability to mouse drag a loop from a deck to the sample player. This shouldn't be toooooooo difficult to add some additional midi mappable commands right?

Correct, you can drag and drop. In terms of having this available to MIDI map, how do you imagine it work? The best way I can think of of is having a button per deck which is simply "instant double track on deck to next available sample slot". Would that work?
beisi 2:46 PM - 27 June, 2014
Yep that could work indeed.

SDJ always has a 'loop length' set per deck (1/4, 1/2, 1, 2bars etc) if you hit the 'instant double to next available sample slot' with no loop engaged it would be great if it just took that amount of the song and put it in the next available sample slot. Likewise with loop engaged just the loop would be grabbed.

Of course further more detailed functions would be great to grab fixed lengths from fixed deck locations etc but i'm a realist seeing how long things can take on the current SDJ roadmap ;)
DJ Boom Bap 11:41 PM - 28 June, 2014
Maybe a shift+sample button could move the current loops to the corresponding SP-8 (6) slot?
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:39 AM - 30 June, 2014
Hey beisi,

Quote:
SDJ always has a 'loop length' set per deck (1/4, 1/2, 1, 2bars etc) if you hit the 'instant double to next available sample slot' with no loop engaged it would be great if it just took that amount of the song and put it in the next available sample slot. Likewise with loop engaged just the loop would be grabbed.

I like the idea, but there would be some extra considerations in this feature I think we need to discuss. So to clarify the purpose of this feature first:

You wish to instant double a track to a sample slot, but the track on the deck DOESN'T have a currently active loop, however you wish for the sample slot to retain the loop size that was currently selected for that deck. Once its on the deck, you want to then turn that loop on if you wish.

Have I understood correctly? So what we should consider is:

- How do you engage the loop on that sample slot? There is a loop button already to loop the whole track. Do we add another loop button that engages the "not yet engaged loop"?

- How does the user know what size that loop is. They could remember it from the point where they instant double, but apart from remembering, how will they know what size it is before they engage?

I am curious to know a bit more about the thinking behind why you wouldn't just want to engage the loop on the main deck first (where all the looping controls are already laid out) and then instant double it in that state (as it does)?

This of course would be made a lot easier by the simple "instant double" MIDI mappable button. But I think we will complicate things once you start bringing in separate loop management controls into sample slots.

What about the instant double button: Will there be a set of buttons per slot (up to 4 if you have 4 decks) which means if you press it, it will instant double anything from that deck to the slot? Where do you imagine these controls might fit?

Quote:
Maybe a shift+sample button could move the current loops to the corresponding SP-8 (6) slot?

This is quite often used for a STOP sample functionality, or eject sample from slot. If we used SHIFT + SAMPLE, how would it know which deck you want to instant double from?
beisi 1:00 PM - 30 June, 2014
Quote:

You wish to instant double a track to a sample slot, but the track on the deck DOESN'T have a currently active loop, however you wish for the sample slot to retain the loop size that was currently selected for that deck. Once its on the deck, you want to then turn that loop on if you wish.

Have I understood correctly? So what we should consider is:

Either way loop engaged or not, what I am essentially suggesting is a simplified version of the Traktor 'Sample' decks (not 'Remix' decks).

The ability to grab a loop of a fixed size (to make it simpler using whatever the deck 'loop size' parameter is at the time of grabbing) and put it in a sample slot. Not necessarily playing the sample straight away.

A typical use case, I have my vci380, mixing two tracks, one track is getting close to the end and I want to grab a 16 bar sample to keep looping while I load a scratch sample to a deck. I scratch a bit, and inbetween load up the next song to mix into. Essentially allowing for 2.5 decks.

Quote:

- How do you engage the loop on that sample slot? There is a loop button already to loop the whole track. Do we add another loop button that engages the "not yet engaged loop"?

The functionality should grab the the sample at the size of the 'loop length' parameter and put it in a slot. I see an issue if it is just putting it into the next available slot then you are not sure that it has sample type 'loop' set. But if it were possible to have a mappable 'grab sample to slot' button per slot this should solve it as the triggering the slot can work the same as current behaviour. Is up the the user to ensure the slot is set to 'loop' and not 'one shot'.

Quote:

- How does the user know what size that loop is. They could remember it from the point where they instant double, but apart from remembering, how will they know what size it is before they engage?

I feel like I must be missing something here because I thought I explained this a couple of times now....

Each Deck (i.e. A or B) has a separate 'loop length' parameter, this is the standard SDJ looping system at the moment. I propose to use this same parameter to be the size of the loop that is grabbed. The user has to remember it the same way that I have to remember when I hit autoloop on my ddjsx that the param is set to '1 bar' and not '1/16' for example. (would love to have visual feedback on controller or some way to reset this with a button press but that is not what i'm currently asking here).

More sophisticated ways of doing this exist, for example traktor has seperate Move vs Loop parameters per deck and lets you grab specific loop lengths to specific places via a whole host of midi mappable commands. I didn't expect anything so sophisticated here though given whole 'keep in simple' Serato ethos plus the historically fairly slow turnaround to get features delivered on the product roadmap.

Quote:

I am curious to know a bit more about the thinking behind why you wouldn't just want to engage the loop on the main deck first (where all the looping controls are already laid out) and then instant double it in that state (as it does)?

Absolutely! This is the simpler of at least two use cases i'm talking about here:
1) grab current loop and put it in a sample slot
2) grab sample (size = loop length param) and put it in a sample slot

Quote:

This of course would be made a lot easier by the simple "instant double" MIDI mappable button. But I think we will complicate things once you start bringing in separate loop management controls into sample slots.

would be at least one extra mappable button per slot: 'grab active loop'
maybe up to four per slot: 'grab sample based on loop length from A/B/C/D'

Quote:

What about the instant double button: Will there be a set of buttons per slot (up to 4 if you have 4 decks) which means if you press it, it will instant double anything from that deck to the slot? Where do you imagine these controls might fit?

In short, yes. The advanced view of the SP-6 already has a lot of controls, there is no easy way to use these without either having done it in advance or mapping to another controller. I see really no big deal with adding even 4 extra buttons per slot.

Quote:

that would be -awesome-! :) could make it very nice to roll out to existing controllers with sample pad functions

Quote:

This is quite often used for a STOP sample functionality, or eject sample from slot. If we used SHIFT + SAMPLE, how would it know which deck you want to instant double from?

Indeed this is challenge if you already using shift for stop or remove functions.

A way to do it potentially is to use (on some controllers) the 'Sampler' mode selector or any other free mode selector button (i.e. DDJSX) button as an extra shift button while held down. For others where this is already doubled (Twitch/VCI380) there may be no extra buttons available and that is where either Serato Remote or a midi mapped aux controller could come in.

The point is, whether natively mapped to controllers or not this would make the SP-6 something EXTREMELY useful!
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:52 AM - 2 July, 2014
Hey beisi,

Quote:
I see an issue if it is just putting it into the next available slot then you are not sure that it has sample type 'loop' set. But if it were possible to have a mappable 'grab sample to slot' button per slot this should solve it as the triggering the slot can work the same as current behaviour.

Good point, there are two approaches, each with benefits:

1. A simple "instant double to next available slot" button, less GUI clutter, easy to understand and only one button to map.
2. Buttons that correspond to the number of decks, per slot. Much more complicated, but more precise way of doing it, with more possibilities. Requires many buttons to map if you want access to all of them.

Quote:
The user has to remember it the same way that I have to remember when I hit autoloop on my ddjsx that the param is set to '1 bar' and not '1/16' for example.

But you can look on the GUI for visual feedback to remind yourself of the loop size. If you had instant doubled to a sample slot, and at the current time you had a 4 bar auto loop on that deck. You had then later on used a different loop size on that deck, but you want to trigger your sample loop now. How you will know what loop size your sample slot has stored before you activate it?

Quote:
(would love to have visual feedback on controller or some way to reset this with a button press but that is not what i'm currently asking here).

Without getting too distracted, where would you imagine being able to see some visual feedback on your controller? The DDJ-SR has a nice LED loop screen which helps with this, unfortunately there is not the same feature on the DDJ-SX.

Quote:
Absolutely! This is the simpler of at least two use cases i'm talking about here:
1) grab current loop and put it in a sample slot
2) grab sample (size = loop length param) and put it in a sample slot

Thanks. I understand your two use cases, but I still don't understand why you wouldn't just activate/set up the loop size on the main deck before instant doubling to the sample slot? If you know you are going to need the ".5" deck, with a loop running etc, why wouldn't you just set that up when necessary, get it all done and out of the way, then you can focus on your next set of actions, rather than returning to the sample slot at some stage to activate the loop.

Quote:
would be at least one extra mappable button per slot: 'grab active loop'
maybe up to four per slot: 'grab sample based on loop length from A/B/C/D'

Yikes! So you are talking about up to 8 new buttons, per sample slot, for a four deck device. 4 for instant double, 4 for "grab active loop"?

Quote:
A way to do it potentially is to use (on some controllers) the 'Sampler' mode selector or any other free mode selector button (i.e. DDJSX) button as an extra shift button while held down.

This is definitely a reasonable option instead of using shift, but there is still the issue of when you perform this action, which deck are you choosing to instant double from, to your selected slot?
dus 10:23 PM - 12 July, 2014
I THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE SP 8 WITH PATCHES
SO 4 X 8 = 32 SAMPLES

SO U WOULD BE ABLE TO SAVE 32 SAMPLES AS PATCH 1
ANOTHER 32 AS PATCH 2 AND ETC

SO U WOULD JUST BUILD CUSTOM PATCHES AND SAVE THEM AND DROP THEM INTO A PATCH BOX TO CHANGE BETWEEN PATCHES WHEN U FEEL LIKE..........
Odyseuss 3:43 PM - 14 November, 2014
+1

- 8 Pad Smaples Deck!

- Sample continue to play when switchin Banks

- Save Sample Sets!
Bruno 2:21 PM - 24 November, 2014
+1

- 8 Pad Smaples Deck x4 Banks!

- Save Sample Sets!
938MyDJ 7:18 AM - 25 November, 2014
+1 for 8 active pads...

And each deck to have it's own assignable bank.

Example No. 1:
deck 1 - bank A (SZ sampler selected)
deck 2 - bank B (SZ sampler selected)

Result: 16 pads of SP8 are open for triggering.

Example No. 2:
deck 1 - bank A (SZ sampler selected)
deck 2 - bank B (SZ sampler selected)
deck 3 - bank C (SP1 sampler selected)
deck 4 - bank D (SP1 sampler selected)

Result: 32 pads of SP8 are open for triggering.
Dj Ricky Redz 2:49 PM - 25 November, 2014
Quote:
+1

- 8 Pad Smaples Deck!

- Save Sample Sets!
DJ Rugged 9:35 PM - 4 June, 2016
Nearly two years on and it hasn't happened...wow!!!!

+1

- 8 Pad Smaples Deck x4 Banks!

- Save Sample Sets!
MurksMaster 9:45 AM - 21 June, 2016
YES to all comments above. Please Serato be more flexible :-)