Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Serato DJ DVS Support for the Vestax VCI-400 & VCI-380

tekpro 4:51 AM - 30 April, 2014
I would like to suggest a new feature set for the controllers listed above to support DVS for Serato DJ. I know both controllers can be used as stand alone mixers, so it would be nice if there can be other brands other than Rane and Pioneer to have DVS support. This also applies to the Numark NS6, NS4 and Denon MC6000 MK2.
serkan 10:24 AM - 30 April, 2014
+1
Maybe with an SL interface acting as a dongle.
Or a paid add-on for the built-in audio interfaces.
deejdave 10:53 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
I would like to suggest a new feature set for the controllers listed above to support DVS for Serato DJ. I know both controllers can be used as stand alone mixers, so it would be nice if there can be other brands other than Rane and Pioneer to have DVS support. This also applies to the Numark NS6, NS4 and Denon MC6000 MK2.

Using a mixer as a standalone mixer is not enough to be compatible with DVS. If they are standalone all that means is that you can use external sources without having the software powered up and in most cases the controller does not even need to be connected to the laptop at all.

Most of the controllers you mentioned with the exception of the VCI-400 or 380 (Can't remember which one off hand) are not even wired correctly to enable DVS. The feature must be added prior to shipping out. No firmware of software update can fix this issue as no fimware update can change the wiring in your controller OR add new parts.

What will probably happen is more companies will make DVS enabled controllers but I highly doubt any existing ones will get the feature added.

As Serkan said using a SL box as a dongle would fix this. That being said the better (easier) option to make this a reality would simply be to allow two native SDJ interfaces (controller, mixer or SL box) at once.
serkan 9:23 AM - 3 May, 2014
Quote:

As Serkan said using a SL box as a dongle would fix this. That being said the better (easier) option to make this a reality would simply be to allow two native SDJ interfaces (controller, mixer or SL box) at once.

This! +1 :)

This would be great for the Serato partners too. Rane could sell interfaces to existing controller users. And the controller companies could sell more devices to the Rane users.
deejdave 9:59 AM - 3 May, 2014
Quote:
This would be great for the Serato partners too. Rane could sell interfaces to existing controller users. And the controller companies could sell more devices to the Rane users.

If this does not appeal to the mother-ship as a "reason" to expedite this NOTHING will.
serkan 9:11 PM - 4 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

If this does not appeal to the mother-ship as a "reason" to expedite this NOTHING will.

You know why I brought it up :)
Brynrothwell 9:56 PM - 3 June, 2014
I totally agree, i think the vci 380 has sufficient sound card capabilities to cope as a dvs system, who's with me??
DJ Compiler 9:09 PM - 4 June, 2014
Isn't the only thing that you need for DVS the ability to send audio inputs over USB?
Brynrothwell 9:55 PM - 4 June, 2014
traktor can be used as a DVS through the vci 380, so why not serato dj? Just curious
trayE 5:31 PM - 4 August, 2014
www.youtube.com

DVS Plugin, ha! Finally a reason to buy the VCI-380 :)
deejdave 5:43 PM - 4 August, 2014
What is the DVS expansion pack though. I mean it doesn't look like anything exclusive to VCI controllers so why is this a reason to purchase the 380? It sounds more to me like it will add DVS to any controller as the actual DVS unlocking is done via the AMX and NOT the VCI.

Either way I a sold and I will be purchasing BOTH.
DJ Compiler 5:46 PM - 4 August, 2014
You have to buy the expansion pack to unlock it for upgradeable devices. The VCI-380 (when supported) can support DVS on its own with the expansion pack purchase. Not with the AMX
deejdave 5:50 PM - 4 August, 2014
Ahhhh is there a link for the Serato DJ DVS expansion pack or something. Somehow I have no idea on this at all LOL.
deejdave 5:51 PM - 4 August, 2014
Nevermind I got it. Thanks guys
trayE 6:03 PM - 4 August, 2014
Taken from djworx.com

Controllers able to take advantage of the DVS Expansion Pack are known as “DVS upgrade ready” devices, while hardware that supports DVS natively are called “DVS ready”. Check out the first list of DVS upgrade ready controllers below:

Akai AMX
Numark N4
Denon MC6000mkII

In terms of other controllers that have hardware mixers – The Pioneer DDJ-SX will not support DVS Expansion Pack as the hardware is not technically capable of this. The Vestax VCI-380 and VCI-400 require firmware updates from before support can be developed – when these are available we can add support in Serato DJ.
deejdave 6:09 PM - 4 August, 2014
serato.com From the people themselves.

The serato team is really putting themselves on a different level lately no joke.
tekpro 6:45 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
serato.com From the people themselves.

The serato team is really putting themselves on a different level lately no joke.

Wow, wow, wow, now if they can apply this to the Denon X-600 which I recently acquired, game over and I can sell my SL2 interface.
deejdave 7:02 PM - 4 August, 2014
I certainly hope you meant X-1600 not X-600. If not then might I ask as to how the Denon X-600 could possibly be compatible with Serato DJ DVS expansion pack when it does not even support Serato DJ in any way. Furthermore it has been discontinued by Denon so no new support of any kind will be added to this mixer from Denon even never mind Serato. Sorry bud this seems like a no brainer to me. Unless you meant the X-1600 which is probably the case. Even then though the same applies except for the discontinued part.
tekpro 7:20 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
I certainly hope you meant X-1600 not X-600. If not then might I ask as to how the Denon X-600 could possibly be compatible with Serato DJ DVS expansion pack when it does not even support Serato DJ in any way. Furthermore it has been discontinued by Denon so no new support of any kind will be added to this mixer from Denon even never mind Serato. Sorry bud this seems like a no brainer to me. Unless you meant the X-1600 which is probably the case. Even then though the same applies except for the discontinued part.

Got ya! Thanks
deejdave 8:00 PM - 4 August, 2014
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but honestly KNOWING is sometimes a gift. At least your future decisions will be a little easier.
Cham 9:10 PM - 5 August, 2014
What's Vestax history with updating firmwares? Had my vci-380 since january so I have no experience with that. But it will pretty much be perfect if I can ad the DVS upgrade and an innofader.
deejdave 11:44 PM - 5 August, 2014
They should be releasing the firmware sooner rather than later. With Serato flat out stating the ball is in Vestax's court I am sure they don't want the pressure on them like that for too long.
trayE 4:57 PM - 7 August, 2014
Off topic questions here:

Does anybody know if the pitch bend buttons can be mapped on the VCI-380? Also, the load A and B (with just using one button instead of the two combo)?
Dyl 5:59 PM - 4 September, 2014
Anyone with any clue as to how long Vestax might take with a firmware update? SL3 sold and hoping it won't be too long.
Cham 12:38 PM - 5 September, 2014
I have no idea but they said it's in the final stages of production so fairly soon I hope.
Rory Heath 10:04 PM - 14 September, 2014
Quote:
I have no idea but they said it's in the final stages of production so fairly soon I hope.

@Cham: Where did you see this announcement/ statement?
Cham 2:23 AM - 15 September, 2014
In this thread serato.com
Cham 2:40 AM - 15 September, 2014
But ot would be nice to get a date from them. And I can add that I haven't received an answer myself even though I emailed them before that thread.
DjFusion11 5:12 PM - 15 September, 2014
If the DVS feature comes to the VCI-400 this would be the think that make me switch from traktor to serato
Dyl 10:56 AM - 19 October, 2014
Looks like this isn't going to happen if the rumors are true. Very disappointing.
Anyone out there good with firmware? I'd happily pay for an update.
Cham 4:02 PM - 19 October, 2014
Me too
Rory Heath 9:08 PM - 19 October, 2014
Any news to share Serato? Clue us in please.
DJ Kid Stretch 7:04 AM - 2 November, 2014
Come on!!! We want DVS support for VCI380, let's do this!!!! :)
serkan 9:22 PM - 3 November, 2014
Serato already did. It's Vestax' turn but it doesn't look at all for now.
Rory Heath 6:04 AM - 14 April, 2015
Any update on this? Can you just step in and handle this for them Serato?? There has to be a few Vestax people y'all can put on payroll for a few months to finish this. It's such a needed a part of your controller lineup. A fully featured, small, DVS ready controller with quality mixer controls and great build.
Philimoto 7:16 AM - 14 April, 2015
+1000000
BleedR 9:34 AM - 14 April, 2015
+1
Riddim Dojo 12:36 PM - 20 October, 2015
Any update? Please Serato? Pretty please with sugar on top?
serkan 3:18 PM - 20 October, 2015
Forget it. The units do need firmware updates in order to support DVS but Vestax went bankrupt. It sadly will never happen.
dibb 3:55 PM - 20 October, 2015
Except when this rumor is true: djtechtools.com

It's an old rumor though, so I'm not holding my breath. Even if they revive (which I sincerely hope), changes are (very) small they would release a firmware upgrade for the vci's.

Still love my vci-400.. ;)
deejdave 12:50 AM - 21 October, 2015
They are certainly doing business. Just not as you would hope. There work can be found with Casio controllers as well as headphones etc. As Serkan said zero chance.
dibb 2:56 PM - 21 October, 2015
Yeah, I've seen that Casio XW-DJ1 controller. You can definitely see the innovative Vestax signature there. It's clearly inspired by the Vestax UFO.

The rumor was about the revival of the Vestax brand, not so much about the collaboration of the Vestax resources with Casio. Still hope they'll rebuild the Vestax brand..
deejdave 9:57 PM - 21 October, 2015
Or The XW-J1 which literally says Vestax on it images.search.yahoo.com and is an exact clone of the Vestax Spin 2 controller............

Keep in mind even if this ever happened which is highly unlikely there is almost no chance they would support legacy products. Vestax is a losing brand by default. They are a DJ's dream and a company's worst nightmare. If they want any hope of making money THIS time how could they waste resources they barely have on endeavors they are making no profit on?

Just my thoughts. Also keep in mind they stated they would have info during the first semester 0f 2015........................ that time has come and gone.
deejdave 9:58 PM - 21 October, 2015
Also to be frank I wish they would come back too but I have accepted the reality as well.
dibb 6:57 AM - 22 October, 2015
Don't think they'll will come back either.. I liked them for their innovation spirit and the build quality of their products. But maybe those exact same things caused them to go bankrupt in the first place.
deejdave 1:23 AM - 23 October, 2015
That's exactly it. Like I said:

A DJ's dream -
1.) Great Quality
2.) Great Support
3.) Very Innovative
4.) Cheap Prices

1,2 and 3 are GREAT but when combined with 4 it creates a recipe for disaster for a company trying to make money.

Pioneer strategy

- Go with what others have created and build on that.
- Offer no support unless the product is clearly a manufacturers defect
- Build with mediocre quality
- Charge Premium prices
- Market the shit out of your products

Don't get me wrong I love Pioneer gear but I would never deny what the company is truly about.
dibb 2:39 PM - 23 October, 2015
you're absolutely right.. ;)
keyray 6:44 PM - 25 October, 2018
hello everybody! On November 28 the "PHASE" will be realized ( www.phase-project.com ) - any thoughts - will it work with VCI 380+Serato DJ as timecode/DVS without SSL-box ?

I mean just VCI 380+Serato DJ+Phase for turntables?
Or it still needs some nevercoming firmware?)

Maybe somebody from Serato can also comment it?
keyray 6:48 PM - 25 October, 2018
Quote:
hello everybody! On November 28 the "PHASE" will be realized ( www.phase-project.com ) - any thoughts - will it work with VCI 380+Serato DJ as timecode/DVS without SSL-box ?

natürlich, i speaking about Serato DJ PRO with purchased DVS Pack).
Riddim Dojo 6:16 AM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

natürlich, i speaking about Serato DJ PRO with purchased DVS Pack).

Interesting question. I think that the issue may be that if you purchase Serato DVS, Serato Pro itself may not enable it for the VCI since it was not listed as approved for DVS by Serato itself. You would still need a Serato approved external sound card or mixer to run the DVS. So in other words, the Serato Pro software may not even process the phase timecode coming in through the phase unless there is an Serato DVS external soundcard plugged in through the laptop. Phase is just replacing the hardware "needle" part.

So we would still need the "nevercoming firmware" (I have a VCI-400 by the way).
thebulge 6:51 AM - 26 October, 2018
What he said. The sound interface in the VCI isn’t supported by dvs.
deejdave 9:27 PM - 26 October, 2018
Phase will work for DVS enabled devices for ALL software just as ANY other DVS timecode device would be it mixer, controller or interface. Afterall that is all this is is an alternate means of getting the timecode signal to the SW and nothing more.
Riddim Dojo 12:15 AM - 27 October, 2018
Quote:
Phase will work for DVS enabled devices for ALL software just as ANY other DVS timecode device would be it mixer, controller or interface. After all that is all this is is an alternate means of getting the timecode signal to the SW and nothing more.

Agreed. But the VCI-380 is not Serato DVS approved, thus it would not be able to pass the timecode received from phase onto Serato, not so? It may work for OTHER software that does not discriminate by hardware (you know who I'm talking 'bout riiight?)
deejdave 1:12 AM - 27 October, 2018
If it is serato dvs enabled or dvs upgrade ready it will work. If not it won’t. It’s really that simple.
keyray 10:33 AM - 27 October, 2018
so, lets wait).....by the way i have tested new traktor 3 demo - just few adjustments in preferences + right mapping for 380 and this isht just works as desired - full DVS & its also possible to route 3&4deck to VCI jogs as well.....so maybe will bought T3 on the black friday sale))))....
Riddim Dojo 12:04 PM - 27 October, 2018
Quote:
so, lets wait).....by the way i have tested new traktor 3 demo - just few adjustments in preferences + right mapping for 380 and this isht just works as desired - full DVS & its also possible to route 3&4deck to VCI jogs as well.....so maybe will bought T3 on the black friday sale))))....

Good to know. I will try the demo with my VCI-400. What adjustments did you have to make?
keyray 12:24 PM - 27 October, 2018
Quote:

Good to know. I will try the demo with my VCI-400. What adjustments did you have to make?

Really nothing special: start t3 with 2decks scratch layout,select VCI as audio device for in&out, set mixer to "infernal" (this is imporant), timecodes should be assigned by default, import in "controller settings€ one of mappings from here:
www.traktorbible.com

Have fun)
Riddim Dojo 1:34 AM - 29 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Really nothing special: start t3 with 2decks scratch layout,select VCI as audio device for in&out, set mixer to "infernal" (this is imporant), timecodes should be assigned by default, import in "controller settings€ one of mappings from here:
www.traktorbible.com

Have fun)

Will do. Haven't had time to try it yet, but will soon.