Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Clean Edit Mode

DayzNYC 1:33 PM - 28 April, 2014
I think serato DJ really needs a clean edit mode. A setting in serato that you can engage, just like a loop, where before hand you go into a track and "reverse" on explicit words and serato saves that reverse in the track. Once you engage the clean edit mode, all the reverses you put in a track will engage during play back. This can be set up just how you set up cue points and loops. Then just make a button next to pitch lock, where you can engage the clean edit mode. This would be great for any djs who's clients request clean edits of tracks and instead of filling up your hard drive with duplicate tracks (one explicate and one clean) .
Draven1327 2:50 PM - 28 April, 2014
this is a very interesting idea......

im game +1
DjMarcusD 3:14 AM - 29 April, 2014
sounds guuuuuud
The Despicable Nyan Cat 12:25 PM - 14 May, 2014
Neat idea.
DJ Angel Suave Ortiz 12:44 PM - 14 May, 2014
+1 Thumbs up
NapalmMuzik 4:35 PM - 14 May, 2014
+1 this would be great
DJ Boom Bap 11:51 PM - 16 May, 2014
Really good idea!

+1
DJ Compiler 4:04 AM - 17 May, 2014
+1 glad to see someone else thought this would be cool too
Jumbo Boogie 1:56 PM - 17 May, 2014
+ 80 bagilion

Not only for censoring but can be used to make custom edits for mix-in's and out's or whatever.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 8:42 PM - 4 June, 2014
Especially because some songs are only available as Explicit.
+1
The Despicable Nyan Cat 8:42 PM - 4 June, 2014
Quote:
This would be great for any djs who's clients request clean edits of tracks and instead of filling up your hard drive with duplicate tracks (one explicate and one clean) .

or wasting money!
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:06 PM - 4 June, 2014
This is a great suggestion guys. Would you want this information stored to the file or to the _Serato_ folder ?
deejdave 2:56 AM - 5 June, 2014
This is actually a great idea. I would say stored within the file so it can be utilized by other applications.......... as I would suspect this would catch on. In many cases this could cut down a typical mobile DJ library file quantity by half. Assuming the actual storage space needed to do this is minimal (similar to cue points) the physical storage space needed would be halved as well. GOLD
DjMarcusD 3:15 AM - 5 June, 2014
+1 like this
DJCY 4:57 AM - 5 June, 2014
it would be better to add a feature to save ALL automation, like in this thread:
serato.com

This way all automation will be saved for the track, such as censor button, plus all other knobs, plus would be able to overide by using the same knob, button.
deejdave 1:43 PM - 5 June, 2014
Nah definitely like this better. Sorry. This one also seems a little more feasible.
Draven1327 4:10 PM - 5 June, 2014
yeah automation is a great thing to ave for mixtapes. they can fixed and perfected easily afer the fact.

but i think for live play and quick changing this makes more sense. simple.

i dont know where this info should stay though, i am leaning a little more towards id tag. just so you can transfer it between dj's and or hard drives easier.
deejdave 4:33 PM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
i dont know where this info should stay though, i am leaning a little more towards id tag. just so you can transfer it between dj's and or hard drives easier.

EXACTLY!! I know this wouldn't be Serato's concern really but fr guys like me who SYNC there library between the major DJ apps it would be one less thing that would need converting if it were stored within id3.
Jumbo Boogie 1:51 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
This is a great suggestion guys. Would you want this information stored to the file or to the _Serato_ folder ?

To the file
Mr Wilks 12:29 AM - 7 June, 2014
+1 without a doubt.

It could be an 'Action Cue' or 'Trigger Cue' for any action in SDJ you specify, Censor/Cue Points/Loop Points/FX - Anything you want to insert a start and stop point.

Use it to censor tracks or quantized jump around a track on bang on cue points, making live edits.
DJ Boom Bap 2:12 AM - 7 June, 2014
Quote:

To the file please.

BTW, nice avatar
Mr Wilks 3:07 AM - 7 June, 2014
I just thought that it could be like when you engage loop in a new mode that you define it's length and then from a drop down box (like FX select) choose what you want it to do for the duration of the loop. It could be another loop mode where you assign functions to a predetermined loop length.

Examples could be:

Reverse for 4 beats.
Censor for 1 beat.
Filter for 4 beats.
FX for 16 beats.
Sample slot 1 for 2 beats.

This could be saved like a normal loop is now and would be recalled on track load and activated.

I do still like the idea of special cues though as we could hop about tracks and live edit.
deejdave 3:48 AM - 7 June, 2014
Quote:
Reverse for 4 beats.
Censor for 1 beat.
Filter for 4 beats.
FX for 16 beats.

Another solid idea. Possibly handle it like Serato does with the Favorite FX list. That way you can have minimal space necessary to have physical control over the options you choose. Hopefully doubles with a 2nd layer "shift" function.

GREAT stuff coming out of this thread. I typically see many suggestion titles that sound appealing but upon seeing the details or the reasons behind they quickly become just another me me me thing. THIS however seems helpful to the masses, helps the work flow, yet doesn't take anything away from the set.
Leafie 9:11 PM - 7 June, 2014
Nice idea
Mr Wilks 4:12 AM - 8 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Reverse for 4 beats.
Censor for 1 beat.
Filter for 4 beats.
FX for 16 beats.

Another solid idea. Possibly handle it like Serato does with the Favorite FX list. That way you can have minimal space necessary to have physical control over the options you choose. Hopefully doubles with a 2nd layer "shift" function.

GREAT stuff coming out of this thread. I typically see many suggestion titles that sound

appealing but upon seeing the details or the reasons behind they quickly become just another me me me thing. THIS however seems helpful to the masses, helps the work flow, yet doesn't take anything away from the set.

Perfect.

We've got the ball rolling on a few ideas here to censor and do other actions. I like it!
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:23 PM - 8 June, 2014
Hey Guys,

These are great ideas. I think storing to the file will limit how much you can write there and vary from file type, but these are very strong and realistic useable applications.
I guess you could use it as a clean edit but be able to do more of a Re Edit if you wanted.
Very applicable for the working DJ and with the ability to keep library size to a minimum. This way DJ pools could offer these versions as part of the download too.

Matt P
Mr Wilks 7:09 PM - 8 June, 2014
Quote:
Hey Guys,

These are great ideas. I think storing to the file will limit how much you can write there and vary from file type, but these are very strong and realistic useable applications.
I guess you could use it as a clean edit but be able to do more of a Re Edit if you wanted.
Very applicable for the working DJ and with the ability to keep library size to a minimum. This way DJ pools could offer these versions as part of the download too.

Matt P

Of course... I'd overlooked that DJ City and others store info for ready-to-go Serato awesomeness.

Imagine an area of song set like a loop length that can have an action associated with it. The pools give you one version and you can 'turn on' parts of the song you want censoring or effecting. It's all stored like a loop into the file. PERFECT.

Being able to have one extended version of a song in our library and being able to 'turn on' the radio edit (with intro!) by triggering points in the song and with the bonus of FX insert too.

It could be a third mode below loops in the GUI 'extended' mode and allow a parts to be edited with pre-set actions over pre-set lengths.

Any other ways we could trigger censor that could trigger other actions too?
acemc 9:38 PM - 15 June, 2014
+1
Great idea
DJ Boom Bap 12:49 PM - 24 June, 2014
Bump
DJ Spirit London 11:42 AM - 25 June, 2014
Just read this suggestion, and its a brilliant idea.
ScullyDJServices 5:28 AM - 4 July, 2014
Fantastic idea! This needs to be implemented. I know VDJ 8 does something like this too
Sikwidityo 6:23 PM - 8 July, 2014
+1
djambesa 9:58 PM - 9 July, 2014
+1 great idea
DJ KIKINYC 1:44 AM - 12 July, 2014
+ 1 Great Idea

+1 great idea
winstonmeetsjulia 5:18 AM - 14 July, 2014
+1
DJ Compiler 3:51 AM - 15 July, 2014
www.numark.com

I think the caption to the left about "flips" is confirmation that the feature is coming soon
The Despicable Nyan Cat 12:24 PM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
www.numark.com

I think the caption to the left about "flips" is confirmation that the feature is coming soon

Ooh that controller looks so rad! Me want
Mr Wilks 12:53 PM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
www.numark.com

I think I just we my pants.

If this is what it sounds like then this is pretty much exactly what I suggested and exactly how I envisioned it in use. One track many combinations.

The pools will be "flip compatible" and will no doubt offer one version with many combinations possible and save "flips" into the files for us to really play with like clean/dirty/dub/intro etc.

Wow-freaking-wow...
Mr Wilks 12:55 PM - 15 July, 2014
Something tells me that Numark forgot about that on the publicity shot as it's an as-yet unannounced Serato feature.

Let's just hope it's not an exclusive.
DJ Compiler 2:29 PM - 15 July, 2014
I can't imagine that it would be an exclusive. I don't see any controls labeled for it.
Mr Wilks 2:52 PM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
I can't imagine that it would be an exclusive. I don't see any controls labeled for it.

Yeah, I had a look and couldn't see any so let's sit back and wait for a whole way to play.

#exciting
Mr Wilks 3:02 PM - 15 July, 2014
It's been removed now. Oopsy!
DJ Compiler 5:02 PM - 15 July, 2014
Haha well I guess that proves we saw something we weren't supposed to see. So I'm guessing Serato's plan was to have this ready by the release date of the NV. So as long as nothing causes a set back I'm sure we can still expect to see it.
Jumbo Boogie 11:54 PM - 16 July, 2014
"Flip" could be something like a remix deck or maybe not.
acemc 2:05 AM - 21 July, 2014
Quote:
I'm sure we can still expect to see it.

See what though??
DJ Compiler 2:28 AM - 21 July, 2014
See the edit/flip function in the near future
acemc 11:06 AM - 21 July, 2014
Sorry dude, that was a stupid question!
Obviously, my head was in the clouds yesterday.
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:40 AM - 4 August, 2014
Hey guys,

Sorry for the static. This is in fact a new feature

Watchm.youtube.com

Check it out and talk about your thoughts on it. It pretty much is what is described in this thread and more.

I'll try and jump in if there are any concerns

Regards

Matt P
DJ Compiler 12:58 AM - 4 August, 2014
One question matt. When we record cue point jumps with this. If we were to change our cue points after recording a flip would the flip maintain the original performance or would it change to match the new cue points?
Mr Wilks 1:18 AM - 4 August, 2014
Okay... So...

Quantize will be a big thing here and I have a few things added to quantize if possible ready for this feature?

Currently cue points (and obviously loops) are quantized... and that's it.

Can we add the PLAY/CUE button please? Maybe the CENSOR could be quantized on beat too? Maybe other actions too?

Quantize was a feature I wanted the most in SDJ and when it finally dropped I hardly used it as I wanted to press 'play' on a track with the fader up as that is good for electronic music.

Could other things be quantized if possible? Maybe in the setup so it doesn't annoy other users? Maybe like a "favourites" list for the FX with what buttons we want quantizing?

Just a thought as this new Flip plugin will be great for live sessions.
Serato, Support
Matt P 1:23 AM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
One question matt. When we record cue point jumps with this. If we were to change our cue points after recording a flip would the flip maintain the original performance or would it change to match the new cue points?

Yes you can change your cue points and the flip performance will remain.

Flip is reactive to time in the track, the cues just trigger the time jumps when in record for flip. Make sense?

This is really handy when doing a "verse jump" etc
Serato, Support
Matt P 1:27 AM - 4 August, 2014
@Mr Wilks,

There are some quantize related features already in place so you can loop things relative to beat grids etc, but it sounds like what you are looking for is more of an Ableton launch type quantize right?

This could be developed as it does make sense for flip, but there isn't anything planned for that right now.
Perhaps a specific feature request would be best bet for this

Regards

Matt P
Mr Wilks 1:32 AM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
...what you are looking for is more of an Ableton launch type quantize right?

Yeah Matt, 'launch quantization' is what I was after. I'm a Live user and was disappointed this wasn't present as surprisingly you can do it if you're in SMART SYNC mode.

I'll hop on over and suggest an improvement to the quantize feature. Cheers bud!