Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

DDJ-SX platter delay when reverse scratching?

AlmiX 7:57 PM - 1 March, 2014
I've seen a few other posts on this issue, but nothing appears to have been done about it, nor has anyone found the problem.

Basically, when scratching, forward scratches are fine and work as they should. When scratching in reverse however, there is a very slight pause when letting go of the platter. It's not much, but enough to throw you off-beat and to render scratching in general useless...

I've not tried another SX, but I've heard that not everyone has this problem. The touch sensor level adjustment makes absolutely no difference to the problem. My computer is capable of running the controller at the lowest latency possible (1ms) and as I said, forward scratching is fine, so I'm fairly sure it's not my newbie scratching...

I've demonstrated this problem in a video to show exactly what I mean. I do some forward scratches at first and then from 0:12, you can hear the problem when reverse scratching.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Any help/advice? Cheers!
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:40 PM - 4 March, 2014
Hi AlmiX,

This is with SLIP mode engaged. And you are finding the same problem without SLIP engaged. SLIP has to calculate when you are releasing the platter.

Matt P
AlmiX 9:12 PM - 4 March, 2014
Hi Matt,

Cheers for the reply! Yes, I have just tested the issue without SLIP Mode engaged and I still experience the same latency - forward scratching is still fine, but reverse scratching is laggy. I've attached another video demonstrating it below. The reverse scratching can be heard from 0.08 seconds. I also switch to SLIP Mode toward the end of the video to provide a direct comparison of latency.

I'm running on an i7 with 16GB of RAM, so I'm confident it's something to do with Serato rather than my computer/controller. I have also tried the DDJ-SX in MIDI mode with Traktor, and whilst there is obviously a general usage latency, I don't have the issue of a reverse delay on there. I can provide a video of this if needs be as well.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Regards,

AlmiX
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:27 AM - 6 March, 2014
Hi AlmiX,

Thanks again for a detailed video. Although I can see there is a delay, i'm just unsure if this is indeed a malfunction of the platter and or software. As you can see with the jog dial its slowing down to catch up much like a turntable would. I can understand the desire for this to not be there or be adjustable in some what. I guess that could be implemented like a release knob like they have on the CDJ's

Have you compared this to the reaction on a CDJ?

Matt P
AlmiX 10:46 AM - 6 March, 2014
Thanks once again for the reply Matt! I have considered this possibility myself, as although I've never used turntables, I'm aware that they do have a physical release delay due to the turntable needing to build momentum in the direction of play. However, at least for me, it seems weird to have this implemented on static platters if it was intentional, as you're unable to feel any physical response to counteract the delay?

I don't have access to CDJs unfortunately, but from what I've seen on YouTube, CDJs are pretty snappy in this regard

youtu.be

I've also found this video of another guy scratching on an SX and whilst he quite obviously has a level of skill, he is still simply letting go of the platter after a reverse scratch on occasions and there is no audible delay? (Watch from 10:33)

youtu.be

Regards,

AlmiX
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:53 AM - 10 March, 2014
Hi AlmiX,

I thoroughly enjoyed watching both those videos :)

I'm only using what i've got here to test with but I haven't noticed this delay so much on mine. Other than what i've described. I'd like to do some more testing, but there hasn't been too much talk about this, so i wonder if its affecting you specifically.

Can you let me know if you have a better release with an older version of SDJ?

The archive here - serato.com

Matt P
AlmiX 1:24 AM - 10 March, 2014
Hey Matt,

Glad they were of some interest to you ;-)

I believe it's affecting a minority of DDJ-SX users, as from the few threads I've seen, it would appear that some have the delay, whilst some do not.

This thread in particular presents the exact same problem amongst a few other people. If you give the attached video a watch that someone posted, it very clearly shows that there's an issue with Serato and reverse scratching on the SX for some users.

serato.com

As for trying an older version of Serato, I've given it a go with the earliest build of Serato DJ (1.0) and the result is exactly the same. When I first got my SX, the release was on 1.5 and I noticed the issue right from the start, so it looks like the problem has been consistent since the birth of the new Serato software?

Regards,

AlmiX
Gu3d3s 2:26 PM - 10 March, 2014
Hi Guys,

I have a same problem in my DDJ-SX, in some cases have 1/2 sec off delay for sound back.
C-Conn 2:45 AM - 13 March, 2014
I have also noticed this problem scratching on the SX, and its also only on the backscratch. almost like a delay (as mentioned above to catch up) but it can throw everything out of sync even with SLIP on.
Even if i try to push the forward scratch up a bit to help it catch up i feel it still throws it out
AlmiX 11:21 AM - 13 March, 2014
That's the same for me C-Conn. It's rather annoying, as one of the primary reasons I bought my SX was to be able to learn to properly scratch, which would seem impossible currently.

I can't understand why forward scratching works fine, yet reverse scratching has the issue... The platters aren't too heavy, so I did wonder if it was the slight nuance of movement caused by letting go that was causing it, but even if you use your other hand to completely stop the platter when you let go, the issue is still present.

As I stated above, whilst there is some general MIDI latency with Traktor (as opposed to the more accurate HID connectivity available only in Serato), I don't hear/feel this problem in Traktor, so I firmly believe it's an issue with Serato. I'd also be interested to know if anyone with an SB/SR/SZ is having these problems...
Serato, Support
Matt P 5:52 PM - 13 March, 2014
Hi AlmiX,

The platter sensitivity is determined by Pioneer firmware, so although you might have a different result with traktor, I can assure you its something that we will have to develop with Pioneer to get right.

Since you are getting some more feedback from other users, i'm gonna suggest that i move this to the feature suggestions.

Also the fact that it has been like this since its release means that it isn't a bug, but more of a request.

This way it will get the attention it needs and prioritized accordingly.

The only other suggestion would be to compare it with other DDJ-SX units to eliminate it being a possible hardware flaw.

Matt P
5:53 PM, 13 Mar 2014
Discussion moved to Serato DJ Feature Suggestions
AlmiX 4:57 PM - 14 March, 2014
Hi Matt,

The platter sensitivity has no effect on scratching. It of course alters the touch response to an individual's preference, But it's not a cause for latency. I've tried adjusting the sensor dials to all levels of sensitivity and the result is always the same - with no delay on forward scratching, but a short yet hampering delay when finishing a scratch in reverse. If instead you mean the sensitivity of the platter in relation to the track (eg, how many rotations it would take to reach the end of a song), I can't see that this would need adjusting, for it works perfectly fine when forward scratching. A duplicate motion ending in the opposite direction shouldn't result differently. The issue has indeed been present since release, but only some people are actually experiencing it.

Whilst I don't have access to another DDJ-SX physically, I've linked a couple more videos below that clearly show others are not suffering from any delay when letting go of the platter following a reverse motion:

youtu.be - More or less every scratch ends in reverse, with the guy simply letting go and the platter falling right back in time

youtu.be - Whilst the cutting is probably make the timing sound tighter, there are moments where the platter is simply let go with the fader in an open position and the release from a reverse scratch is again instant.

I've linked once more my original video for direct comparison to the above:

Watchwww.youtube.com

To sum up, I am unable to achieve a platter release this tight on 1ms settings with and without SLIP mode, on both platters regardless of sensitivity settings. The forum support is very much appreciated, but I'm certain there's something going on Serato's end that needs looking at...
Gu3d3s 3:33 PM - 16 March, 2014
Hi guys,

A long time DDJ-SX need a new firmware, whether for correction of bugs, like this one from scratch and add functions that allows the SX yet, but so far nothing has been done, I have done multiple complaints in the Pioneer forum without results, perhaps the Serato team asking to have more strength to a new firmware
Da Vid 7:47 PM - 23 March, 2015
Hi guys,

any update on that? Same problem here.

Regards,

david
DJ Boom Bap 10:23 PM - 23 March, 2015
Wow old thread, but I experience the same problem, and it gets annoying
Da Vid 10:50 AM - 26 March, 2015
Yeah I hope there is no hardware flaw...
DJ Boom Bap 3:09 AM - 27 March, 2015
Just tested this (again).....Its user error, if your right (or left) deck is slow, its you. Go back to TT's and not a static controller. Its all practice, no software or hardware issues, its all practice.
Da Vid 7:40 AM - 27 March, 2015
Well I don't think so.

Check out this video posted by AlmiX:

Watchwww.youtube.com

There is still a small delay on release. Got nothing to do with skills :D
DJ Boom Bap 2:34 AM - 28 March, 2015
Yes, I have experienced this also. When he first starts out, its perfect. If you let your fingers linger, or the platter is still in a backward motion, it will do that. If you practice getting your fingers away, and letting go with no backward motion in your hands, it will not do this.
DJ Boom Bap 11:53 PM - 28 March, 2015
Sorry if I came off brash, but I spent a good 15 minutes testing this last night. When I concentrated on what I was doing, it didn't happen. But, I suppose it could be a sensitivity thing, where the platter "feels" your fingers even though they are not touching the platter.
AlmiX 8:20 AM - 14 April, 2015
I do still experience this problem, but my workaround as of late has been to simply duplicate the playing track on both decks with the "instant doubles" option checked under the "DJ Preferences" tab in the settings. when loading the same track into the other deck, it will immediately start playing from the exact same point. From there, simply enable slip mode on the deck you wish to scratch with and cut the crossfader over to it when you start scratching and away when you let go of the platter. Since the duplicate track isn't being scratched, there's no "catching up" to be done.

Hopefully I've not made that sound more complicated than it actually is, but it works really well (and looks a lot more professional too!).