Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Significant more USB dropouts when activating Pitch'n'Time (SDJ 1.6,SL2,DDJ-SP1)

aleksey 8:19 AM - 5 February, 2014
Hey all,

I noticed that I have to increase the USB buffer in the Rane control panel to a ridiciously high size when using PnT to avoid the USB dropout indicator to light up (red and yellow). I can't hear any audio glitches though.

System is otherwise running fine, no dropouts happen at low buffer sizes in SSL and SDJ 1.6 (with or without regular keylock activated).

Two questions regarding this:
a) Is there a reasonable explanation why this happens? I understand that PnT requires more processing power but as mentioned above I need to set at least three times the buffer size when using PnT so this seems a bit excessive.

b) I've read the thread about two idependent buffer sliders (SDJ vs. SL2 control panel) in the forum. I understood that both buffers add up. However, I still didn't understand how and where the settings should be actually done because I can only change the SDJ buffer size if the SL2 is not connected. If the SL2 is connected, changing the buffer size in the control panel changes the SDJ slider as well (so it seems to change any settings I did while SL2 was not connected). I find this quite confusing maybe some can enlight me how to set buffers the best way.

Otherwise, I find SDJ 1.6 quite good for a first release. I'm still missing some features from SSL (I'll create a separate topic for that) though.

Best,
Alex
aleksey 8:21 AM - 5 February, 2014
My typicall buffer settings (no dropouts) are:

SSL 2-3 ms
SDJ 1.6 (w/ or w/o regular keylock): 8 ms @ SL2 control panel (results in 2ms in SDJ)
SDJ 1.6 w/ PnT: 20 to 25 ms in the SL2 control panel
dj-mase 1:57 PM - 5 February, 2014
same Problem with SL3 and Numark NS7II
Dj cuervo 3:44 PM - 5 February, 2014
The system requirements have increase with that plugin.
serato.com
DJ Moestwanted 3:45 PM - 5 February, 2014
same here USB Control Lamb constantly yellow or red.

MacBook Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo 2,8 GHz

4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

OSX 10.6.8

:(
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:55 PM - 5 February, 2014
Minimum Specifications

* i5 or i7+ recommended when using Pitch 'n Time DJ

* 4GB+ recommended when using Pitch 'n Time DJ

These are simply the minimum requirements to run Serato DJ & Pitch 'n Time DJ. For best performance and for use in professional situations we recommend you use a higher spec computer, preferably with an Intel processor.
Dj cuervo 4:12 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
Minimum Specifications

These are simply the minimum requirements to run Serato DJ & Pitch 'n Time DJ. For best performance and for use in professional situations we recommend you use a higher spec computer, preferably with an Intel processor.

I have MacBook
Intel Core 2 Duo 2,0 GHz

8GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I'm getting a I5 or I7 this weekend. I'm getting drops like crazy. I'm up to 5ms now.
nik39 4:14 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
b) I've read the thread about two idependent buffer sliders (SDJ vs. SL2 control panel) in the forum. I understood that both buffers add up. However, I still didn't understand how and where the settings should be actually done because I can only change the SDJ buffer size if the SL2 is not connected. If the SL2 is connected, changing the buffer size in the control panel changes the SDJ slider as well (so it seems to change any settings I did while SL2 was not connected).

Really? So if you change the slider in SDJ and click on apply the slider in the Rane CPL changes too?

Are you on a Mac?
dj-mase 4:54 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
Minimum Specifications

Macbook Pro 2.66 Ghz Intel Core i7 - 8GB DDR3
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:56 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Minimum Specifications

Macbook Pro 2.66 Ghz Intel Core i7 - 8GB DDR3

Time to open a help thread ---> serato.com
aleksey 7:05 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
b) I've read the thread about two idependent buffer sliders (SDJ vs. SL2 control panel) in the forum. I understood that both buffers add up. However, I still didn't understand how and where the settings should be actually done because I can only change the SDJ buffer size if the SL2 is not connected. If the SL2 is connected, changing the buffer size in the control panel changes the SDJ slider as well (so it seems to change any settings I did while SL2 was not connected).

Really? So if you change the slider in SDJ and click on apply the slider in the Rane CPL changes too?

Are you on a Mac?

Hey Nik,

no I'm on Win7 Pro x64. 6GB Ram and 128 GB SSD. The sliders behave the other way around. It works like this:

a) I can only change the SDJ buffer size (using the slider) when no SL 2 is connected.
b) If SL 2 is connected, I can not change the SDJ slider but access the SL 2 control panel from within Serato.
c) With SL 2 connected: if I change the buffer size (accessed from within SDJ) in the SL 2 control panel, the SDJ slider (which is greyed out and can not be actively changed) moves to a specific value. For example: 8 ms in SL 2 CP sets the slider to 2 ms in SDJ.

I played around with different settings:
a = value set in SL 2 CP
b = value set to SDJ with SL 2 disconnected
c = value displayed in SDJ with SL 2 connected
d = usb dropout indicator lights up (yes / no)

Test 1:
a = 8 ms, b = 1 ms, c = 2 ms, d = yes

Test 2:
a = 4 ms, b = 4 ms, c = 1 ms, d = yes

Test 3:
a = 8 ms, b = 2 ms, c = 2 ms, d = yes

Test 4:
a = 8 ms, b = 5 ms, c = 2 ms, d = yes

In any test, if I disconnect the SL 2 and then inspect the slider it will show the value of c), not of b) as supposed.

So, it seems somehow SDJ reacts to changes in the SL 2 CP.

Although any test gave me usb drop out indicator lights and sometimes audible glitches, there was not a single DPC spike above 256 microseconds.

If I deactivate PnT (and use either no keylock or the old one), USB dropouts disappear.

The only way for me to use PnT is to increase the buffer size in SL 2 CP to 20 ms+ which feels really laggy.

Very confusing ;-)
nik39 7:21 PM - 5 February, 2014
Oh yes, on a PC you only have one slider ;)
aleksey 7:45 PM - 5 February, 2014
No, actually I have two but they don't work at the same time but are somehow magically connected ;-)
direction 5:55 PM - 26 February, 2014
Hey,

I have exactly the same Dropouts. I am running a Mac Book 2,8 GHz intel core i7-16 Gb 1333 MHz DDR3- Flash Drive 500 GB. and I am using Timecode Vinyls.
Especially after the Pitch N Time update the visual Warning (Orange and Red Dot) were definitely increased, but also I noticed that the acoustic Signal had ''cracks'' while playing a Song.

I lowered the buffer Size, but that's not an Option! I am depending on the low Latency.

Serato whats going on??? You Guys should not get lazy on your Products, all Users are still paying a lot of money even though they know there are a lot of others on the Market with the same quality!

We pay the money, you should deliver the Quality!

Hopefully the Uptdate will eliminate the Problems, right i am keep using scratch liveā€¦. :(
dandrumz 12:32 AM - 27 February, 2014
same here :(

MBP i5 2.4, 4 gigs, clean osx 10.9 install, serato only mac