Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

"hardware disconnected flashing" and sound is coming out from only one speaker

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Vestax VCI-300
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
guven 7:29 PM - 16 January, 2009
Product: itch
Version: 1.0.2
Hardware: vestax-vci-300
Computer: pc
OS Version: xp
---

I recently get the vci 300 and installed accordingly; but the itch doesnt see the controller and sound is coming only from left channel.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 11:03 PM - 18 January, 2009
Hi Guven.
Can you please update to the latest version of ITCH (1.0.4):
www.serato.com (click)

Let me know if you are still experiencing problems after upgrading.
Thanks.
guven 6:32 AM - 23 January, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

Problem is solved when I disconnected and deleted the logitech quick cam software.

However I am facing another problem which is when I listen from different audio interfaces such as wmp or itunes sound is coming from one speaker (only the red channels work) altough everything works fine with itch. I have a maudio audio phillie 192 sound card set up before. Eventhough I removed it from my computer, it didn't solve the problem.

Another question is when recording how do I write the recordings to cds in my computer; does it save recorded files into anywhere in my pc?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 4:25 AM - 27 January, 2009
OK cool.

So the channels inside ITCH show both channels working, and the headphones work as stereo, and the unit goes out stereo when mixing? But you are having problem when playing when using it as an external soundcard?

Can you check your USB cable and see if it might be faulty?

With the recording, you will need to type a name of the file into the recording file box next to the Save button, then click Save. This will save the file to the Recorded folder under your main library folder.

Let me know how you go.
guven 1:03 PM - 21 February, 2009
I dont think if the usb cable faulty, I dont even know if I can get one in Turkey. This is annoying not able to listen it stereo with itunes. I will get the adopter within this week. Maybe it helps. Im usuing usb cordless logitech mouse could it be a problem?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 9:14 PM - 22 February, 2009
Try removing any other USB devices and see if that helps such as the mouse.
Also can you please go into your Control Panel > Device Manager and try to see if your
M-Audio Audiophilie driver is still installed? Can you let me know if it is?

Did you upgdade to 1.04? You should do this.

USB cables are universal, any city that has any computers should have them available, even in '2nd world' countries. Unfortunately, this will probably be much more of a task than in places like the US or UK.

Once you have done the above, can you let me know if the VCI works with both chennels on all your other programs? Unfortunately, soundcards can be a bit funny, and we might need to go into each program and change things around.
guven 7:21 PM - 2 March, 2009
I completly removed the previous sound card and replaced a new caple; however, the problem still remaning. I'm planning to get a laptop this week I will try with it. If the problem will exist what should I do?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:02 PM - 2 March, 2009
Is the 'hardware disconnected flashing' signal still appearing?

What programs are having issues with sound coming out with only one side?

Can you also send me the full specs of your computer (make, model, cpu info, ram, hard drive, and any other computer hardware your computer uses ie. external usb drives or printers or mouse or keyboards).

Cheers.
guven 2:55 PM - 3 March, 2009
I dont have any problem with using itch. The sound comes correctly from all the outputs. However other programs like itunes, wmp, and all pc sounds come from only one side.

My system is: Microsoft XP, Home edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3,
Pentium 4 CPU 3,00 GHZ 1,99 Ram
Motherboard: Assus P5GC-MX/1333

I use logitech usb wireless mouse, but when I disconnected it the problem hasn't solved. I sometimes connect my ipod or external hard disk to Usb. I also have two interntal hard disks.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 9:55 PM - 3 March, 2009
I was just double checking that you weren't getting any conflicts with the computer and the VCI. If it's recognized, there's no way you'd get one side coming out of the VCI even if you were with other programs, but I just wanted to be clear that's sorted.

With the VCI playing one channel only as a sound card.
Are you using Winamp, or have it installed?
guven 10:12 PM - 3 March, 2009
no its not installed
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:24 PM - 3 March, 2009
Can you go into Windows Media Player
Go to: Tools > Options > Devices > Speakers > Properties > Advances > Playback

Can you tell me if you have the VCI selected, and if it say's it's working? Click on properties, then in the Controller Information section click Properties again for the device information.

Also can you check the Driver Details screen, and take a screenshot of what you see there and upload for me? (Alt + PrtScn then open up Paint, and then paste and then save). To upload go here: www.serato.com
Let me know when you have done this.
Cheers.
guven 1:16 AM - 4 March, 2009
"then in the Controller Information section click Properties again for the device information.

Also can you check the Driver Details screen, and take a screenshot of what you see there and upload for me? (Alt + PrtScn then open up Paint, and then paste and then save). To upload go here: www.serato.com
Let me know when you have done this."

This part I dont understand. I went into wmp and changed the setting to vci-300. Where is the controoler information?

I only have one cd for itch and vci 300 drivers. But there is no control panel or anything for vci-300
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 1:32 AM - 4 March, 2009
Go to: Tools > Options > Devices > Speakers > Properties > Advanced > Playback (double click on the VCI) > Under General will be Properties > under Driver will be Driver Details (double click).
Right... Does that get you there?
guven 1:53 AM - 4 March, 2009
No there is no progress in that section. I print screen the file and uploaded.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 2:02 AM - 4 March, 2009
Quote:
No there is no progress in that section.

I am not sure what you mean by this?

The file you uploaded was a ".doc" file, can you do this again and save to an image file such as .jpg or .gif? Thanks.
guven 1:49 PM - 7 March, 2009
m planning to get a laptop.
Specs: Intel Dual Core T3400 2.16 GHz 667 MHz
3 GB DDR2 667 Mhz (Max.4 GB) Ram
Microsoft Windows® Vista™ Home Premium
Will it work fine with Serato Itch? I dont want to have any problem when playing live (screen freeze or anything) . Or should I force myself to buy a 2.4 ghz laptop.

Guven
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 8:47 PM - 8 March, 2009
Hi again.
Can you let me know what problems you are still encountering?
I'm still not sure if your hardware disconnected problem is still occurring.
Also let me know where we are with using the VCI as a soundcard. :)

The above laptop sounds fine, though it is always recommended to try before you buy.
Or put a thread in the user forums asking if anyone else has had this model of computer (not just the parts, each laptop is built differently). I assume being in Turkey will make finding one of these to try a little hard!

Cheers :D
guven 9:10 PM - 8 March, 2009
in soundcard setup section in control panel, it doesnt allow you to use advanced section. So the problem still remains. I will try to get the new laptop this week. And I will let you know if the same problem occurs.

thanks,
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 9:42 PM - 8 March, 2009
Are you using the latest version of MWP and see if you can look for the soundcard options for selecting the VCI?

We have encountered this problem in the last couple of weeks, however some users have managed to go into the programs and select the correct soundcard, and others we haven't heard back from, so are unsure if this is just a WMP/Winamp problem, laptop problem, or SL problem.
You may be able to fix this without getting a new laptop, but again this problem may still be around, so just try to test the new laptop out before buying.
guven 11:51 PM - 8 March, 2009
I will buy the laptop from internet. Its difficuld to test it. I'm buying it for other resons as well. I will install the latest wmp. In the control panel it shows the vci 300 as the sound card. However I cant control the advanced settings.

What is SL problem?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 12:04 AM - 9 March, 2009
You mentioned above that the 'hardware disconnected flashing', you mentioned this was fixed, I was just double checking :)

OK. well as long as the CPU isn't a Turion or Athlon then it should be fine with those specs.
Good luck.

In the preferences/options menu inside WMP, how far do you get here before you can't go any further:
Tools > Options > Devices > Speakers > Properties > Soundplayback/Advanced > Playback

Cheers.
guven 6:55 AM - 11 March, 2009
Yeah the VCI 300 selected in that section but the probem still exists. I downloaded winamp now. How do I do settings in winamp.

Cheers,
guven 1:01 PM - 11 March, 2009
I try VCI 300 with another machine and it works fine. I get sound from both speakers now while using other apllications like wmp.
In my pc there are multiple users. Could it be a problem. Because when I installed itch from the cd it said something about multiple users.

Thank u very much

Guven
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 8:49 PM - 11 March, 2009
Using the VCI-300 as a soundcard, and the VCI with ITCH are two slightly different things. I have found that this problem can for the most part be solved by selecting the right preferences with Windows and the music software such as WMP, winamp etc. but it can be pretty tricky, as I've seen a few times two VCI-300 entrys to choose from in the audio output for some software, and it's often a matter of trying every single little option until you find the right one.

What was the other machine you used it on? (make, model, operating system, version of the software).

Are you able to see if the driver is still installed for your logitech usb wireless mouse?
guven 10:24 PM - 11 March, 2009
I havent used the wireless logitech mouse on the laptop.

I want to end this issue, maybe I should get the windows reinstalled.

What disturbs me now is lousy noise is coming from active monitors when I use vci 300 connect it to laptop. I hear all the internal sound processing in the laptop from my speakers.

The laptop is Turkish brand using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit

intel core 2 duo cpu t7700 @ 2,40 ghz 2046 mb ram

is the internal noise coming because the laptop poorly made? or it is the same with all laptops. I turned off the laptop volume but no help. I never had this problem with my desktop

I barrowed this unit to test; I didnt buy it.

I use balanced trc input to active montos shoul I switch to xlr? will this help?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:48 PM - 11 March, 2009
Do you mean you haven't used the logitech mouse on the new laptop? Or old laptop?

I'm a little lost now sorry, can we just outline what is happening for you right now.
What computer are you using? What are all the problems? Thanks again.
1984 5:15 AM - 23 March, 2009
Hi,

I have the same problem when I am using the VCI 300 as soundcard listing to itunes, wmp ect. Only the left (red output) speaker has signal.

Having a Vaio VGN-SZ120p laptop, running xp home.

I followed all the steps/tips that are stated above without succes. Could you help me find a solution?

Thanks in advance.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 9:46 PM - 23 March, 2009
Hey 1984. I've given you a private message. Cheers.
MiOzIgo 7:24 PM - 10 June, 2009
i also have this problem, vci works well on itch , but as a ext. soundcard it's only plays on the right channel
internetbrowser, wmp, winamp, itunes all play on right channel

i have desktop pentium 4 3200mhz
xp service pack 3

i don't no what to do? could you help me??
grtz
MiOzIgo 8:45 PM - 10 June, 2009
also i have itch 1.05
and the headphone on the front of the vci 300 works on both channels
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:44 PM - 10 June, 2009
Here's a link to the beta of ITCH 1.1 where this issue is resolved.

Be aware that it is a beta - this is the the stage of software development where bugs are found and fixed, as such it's not recommend you perform with this version until it's properly released or you are absolutely sure nothing is going wrong for you.
Also be aware that the fix for this issue is a firmware update - which means that the VCI-300 won't work with any older versions of ITCH (ie. anything before ITCH 1.1). So unless you are certain you won't want to go backwards, then maybe don't update the firmware just yet.

serato.com
guven 7:09 PM - 11 June, 2009
Quote:
Hey 1984. I've given you a private message. Cheers.

May I know also?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:02 PM - 11 June, 2009
It was the same as my post above :D
MiOzIgo 9:52 AM - 15 June, 2009
thx, but my vci is just new
and i don't gonna take the risk to update the firmware yet.
Im gonna wait until 1.1 is official released
it works very well with itch , that's al i need for the moment.
see ya
grtz
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:05 PM - 15 June, 2009
Well, feel free to wait for the public release :D
MiOzIgo 5:27 PM - 21 June, 2009
hey, i did the firmware update on te vci 300
itch give me a message firmware is up to date
now the sound playing on both channels ,
but theres no sound coming out the headphones like before
before i could manage the volume of the headphone with the monitor level knob
now theres nothing coming out the headphones
this issue happends in windows xp, in itch , the headphone works well!
is this normal? (maybe disabled in new firmware)
grtz
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 12:25 AM - 22 June, 2009
The headphones and master output are on different channels
When you go to select the output, you will get a choice between channel 1+2 (left and right for the master) and 3+4 (left and right for the headphones).
MiOzIgo 6:21 AM - 22 June, 2009
where can i select this, i don't really understand.
you mean i need to switch my output cables???
if i use the "master out 1" output for headphone , it's only playing on one side!
grtz
MiOzIgo 7:00 AM - 22 June, 2009
my vci is connected like here
www.serato.com
also there is writen that the headphone should work with the "monitor level knob" and connected to headphone input on front right of vci
Hey Matt-C could you explane what i did wrong?? (or doing wrong)
grtz
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 3:53 AM - 23 June, 2009
Sorry, what I mean is that you can use the VCI-300 as a soundcard with other programs. Each program may vary how you can select what output device to use. Some programs use the operating system preferences (iTunes, or WMP) some you can select yourself (like Ableton live etc).
Windows itself will only use channels 1+2 - previous versions had a kernal bug, which allowed the heaphones from grabbing the audio from 1+2, but that was causing issues.

As for ITCH, if you are using the VCI-300 the sound will only come out of the VCI-300 from ITCH. You can use the PFL (prefade listen) to check what is coming out of the master when using the VCI-300 with ITCH, as well as the tracks themselves.
MiOzIgo 6:10 AM - 23 June, 2009
thx, but i think they better make a kind of controlpanel for the vci where you can switch outputs.
i see theres a ns7 controlpanel, why not for the vci??
grtz
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:45 PM - 23 June, 2009
The Windows sound panel is the standard audio playback and recording panel where you would choose your soundcard no matter what you were using, this is the inbuilt operating system chooser, many consumer programs such as iTunes and Windows Media Player take their soundcard options from this.

With professional programs such as Ableton Live or Protools you can use the sound preferences to change audio configurations to suit the studio needs.

However, are you talking about a different control panel that this?
MiOzIgo 6:04 AM - 24 June, 2009
yes, Matt, my previous midi controller (hercules dj console) had a function on the driversoftware (like a control panel)
where you could switch channels of soundcard in windows

check it out
www.virtualdj.com

grtz
MiOzIgo 6:37 AM - 24 June, 2009
you just needed to click the icon of the driversoftware in the taskbar and then switch it to your choice (1+2 or 3+4)
very easy thing to adjust the soundcard channels.
i think the vci 300 need something like that.
grtz
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:30 PM - 24 June, 2009
I guess this is because the Hercules dj controller has 4 master outputs so you'd need this option to select them over the default 1+2 that Windows would grab usually. I'd wager somewhere in the firmware channels 5+6 were the headphones (just like 3+4 are for the VCI-300).

Again, this is a limitation of Windows (or Mac) for the selection of the soundcard. Since the VCI-300 only has two master outputs (with the headphones being assignable but not a primary output).