Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

problems after upgrade to OSX Mavericks

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Novation TWITCH
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
petturik 7:00 PM - 23 October, 2013
Hi,

After upgrading to OSX Mavericks today i am having problems with Serato DJ on my Twitch. Here's what i found out so far

- ticking sound even while no song is loaded or playing, about 4 to 5 ticks per second
- i can load and start a song but i dont hear it playing and playback is about 10 times slower than normal
- the wave form moves but its stuttering
- knobs and sliders seem to work fine and the rest of the interface reacts normally.

Hope this info wil help you solve the problem.

Kind regards,

Patrick

DJ Trice 11:12 AM - 25 October, 2013
Hello,

Did you try the 2.5 driver for Twitch ?
petturik 4:51 PM - 25 October, 2013
2.5 driver was already installed. Reinstalling also did not work. If i use serato without the twitch connected everything works as expected. Also no problems on Windows 7.
patjibz 11:19 PM - 25 October, 2013
Im having the same problems
mfshva7 11:58 AM - 26 October, 2013
i have reported to Novation and hope they will release a Driver update soon, have everyone tried Itch witch Mavericks and Twitch?
Treskematik 11:25 PM - 26 October, 2013
Same problem here with a MacBook Pro and Twitch but have to say I've been experiencing same problems with every single upgrade on OSX I've done since I bought it.....

WE Need a NEW NOVATION USB DRIVER for Maverick.

Twitch is only flashing red touchstrip but cant see it on any program on any PC, is not communicating or recognised via USB, but gets some power evidently.

Cheers.
patjibz 11:50 PM - 26 October, 2013
Quote:
Same problem here with a MacBook Pro and Twitch but have to say I've been experiencing same problems with every single upgrade on OSX I've done since I bought it.....

WE Need a NEW NOVATION USB DRIVER for Maverick.

Twitch is only flashing red touchstrip but cant see it on any program on any PC, is not communicating or recognised via USB, but gets some power evidently.

Cheers.

I had this problem, but it was my usb cable screwing up, not the twitch, have you tried changing the usb cord?
petturik 1:38 PM - 27 October, 2013
Tried it with a different usb cable but that did not help.
petturik 3:58 PM - 27 October, 2013
Found this page on the Novation website:

global.novationmusic.com

Apparently it's a USB driver bug. They are working on it.
Treskematik 9:03 PM - 27 October, 2013
Try diff cords and same resultas, re install drivers, etc etc ect.....

Well my friends, they have to.... :-) New USB driver on the wishlist!!!

Hope they fix it soon.

Cheers
mfshva7 11:38 AM - 28 October, 2013
Hmm very strange, tried itch 2.2.2 on my MacBook Pro (2011) with mavericks and played 2 Hours without any Problem
DJ Trice 12:10 PM - 28 October, 2013
mfshva7, which driver dis you used for information ?
DJ Trice 12:11 PM - 28 October, 2013
oups... which driver version did you use ?
mfshva7 12:56 PM - 28 October, 2013
2.5 from the Novation Site, i updated from 10.8 to 10.9
Treskematik 1:42 PM - 28 October, 2013
strange strange....I tried many times, same driver....same OSX....and no results just the red touchstrip flashing light.

Whille I was doing the OSX upgrade the Twitch was still working fine, I could see lights on like when mixing with Traktor. When Installation was done, sound was chopped off and didn't sound OK at all......after restarting Twitch was gone and didn't come back.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 3:00 AM - 29 October, 2013
Hey Guys,

Thanks for pointing this out,

Quote:
Found this page on the Novation website:

global.novationmusic.com

Apparently it's a USB driver bug. They are working on it.

On a Mavericks machine here at work I have had no problem connecting and using the TWITCH. There may be a way around the issues you are experiencing.

Try increasing your USB buffersize to 10 or 20. Also make sure you go through these steps as well: serato.com

Let me know how you go,

Sam
Treskematik 3:17 AM - 29 October, 2013
Will try Sam GG, answered the other posts, lets see what happens.

Cheers.
Treskematik 3:27 AM - 29 October, 2013
Sam is not even communicating how am I going to adjust buffer size?
petturik 8:05 AM - 29 October, 2013
Sam,

Tried all the settings you suggested but did not make a difference. Also sounds more like a workaround than a real solution. (Although i really do appreciate the help. ;-))
petturik 8:07 AM - 29 October, 2013
Also maybe worth mentioning i have a 13" mid-2010 Macbook Pro,
Rated 3:04 PM - 29 October, 2013
I too have a 13" mid 2010 MBP and whilst I've not upgraded to Maverick yet, I may be able to help with this.

What I tend to find is that if you plug the Twitch into your MBP before opening Serato-DJ (the Twitch touch pad should partially light up, but the Twitch itself won't go into full "operation") then load Serato-DJ after this then usually it'll connect up and work ok.

Apologies if this doesn't work for you, just one user trying to help another with what has worked for me in the past. I tend to find if I connect the Twitch with S-DJ running it won't function, but if I connect it first then it's fine. However I'm still sticking with Mountain Lion whilst I await confirmation that Maverick is fully operational so it may not work on your OS.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 10:19 PM - 29 October, 2013
Hey Guys,

Quote:
Tried all the settings you suggested but did not make a difference. Also sounds more like a workaround than a real solution. (Although i really do appreciate the help. ;-))

This is correct, this is more of a workaround. The real fix I believe will be an updated driver from Novation :)

Sam
petturik 9:33 PM - 31 October, 2013
Tnx Sam for your help so far. And Rated, i tried your suggestion but unfortunately that also didn't help. Mailed Novation Support to ask for an ETA on the driver. If i hear from them wil let you guys now.
Harry co 1:46 PM - 3 November, 2013
I upgraded to Mavericks and had the same problems-very slow staggered track loading, super slow stuttered play back. I installed the new novation 2.5 driver and it works fine BUT i have to reinstall the driver every time i open Serato. So my problem is half solved. Im a bit worried as I'm DJing for 250 people in a week and this problem isn't filling me with confidence i must say. Ill try the suggested thing too.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 9:39 PM - 7 November, 2013
Hey guys,

Just a thought, some users have experienced better performance after completely uninstalling the Novation drivers and using the TWITCH as a class compliant device. Let me know if this works for you,

Sam
Dagmar 11:05 PM - 11 November, 2013
hey Sam, how do you do this?
Serato, Support
Sam GG 10:04 PM - 12 November, 2013
Are you using Windows or Mac?
Rated 10:24 PM - 12 November, 2013
I'm gonna hazard a guess he's on a Mac since this is a thread about Mavericks...
Dagmar 1:33 AM - 13 November, 2013
Using a 2010 MacBook Pro and I am not sure which driver I am using right now, but I updated to Mavericks and I cannot use my twitch at all
dj:MLT 8:16 AM - 14 November, 2013
Same problem here. Getting a little frustrated! Can't use my twitch at all with any software (e.g.. Serato and Virtual DJ). With the silly season coming up (read Xmas parties all round) I need a system to use. This is really disappointing. I know that Apple may not have released a beta of Mavericks to software and hardware developers, but the problem should have been rectified by now.

Does anyone know if it is possible to roll back the operating system on the mac without losing all my valuable data?
Rated 10:45 AM - 14 November, 2013
As far as I'm aware a rollback isn't possible via Apple's own means. If you keep backups of you hard-disc (I'm always concerned about OS updates so tend to do a full hard-disc clone using CCCloner before doing any updates these days) then you could clone-back to Mountain Lion which is what I did after I realised that Mavericks was currently incompatible with the Twitch at present.

Incidentally, having had a good play with Mavericks and the Twitch/S-DJ I'm convinced the problem is purely with the Novation driver rather than at Serato's end. DJ itself seems to run fine using other controllers on Mavericks, it's just the Twitch itself which seems to have the issue (at least when I tested it).
dj:MLT 10:04 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
As far as I'm aware a rollback isn't possible via Apple's own means. If you keep backups of you hard-disc (I'm always concerned about OS updates so tend to do a full hard-disc clone using CCCloner before doing any updates these days) then you could clone-back to Mountain Lion which is what I did after I realised that Mavericks was currently incompatible with the Twitch at present.Incidentally, having had a good play with Mavericks and the Twitch/S-DJ I'm convinced the problem is purely with the Novation driver rather than at Serato's end. DJ itself seems to run fine using other controllers on Mavericks, it's just the Twitch itself which seems to have the issue (at least when I tested it).

Thanks for the info. I have decided to buy another internal drive (rather than run a virtual machine or from and external for speed reasons) and instal mountain lion to use for gigs. Not a great solution but may have to do until there is a fix.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 8:47 PM - 17 November, 2013
As Novation have stated on their website: global.novationmusic.com the novation USB driver is not compatible with Mavericks.

If you open up Macintosh HD > System > Library > Extensions, find the NovationUSBAudio.kext file and move it to your desktop. Now try rebooting your machine and running Serato DJ again with the TWITCH connected.

Sam
dj:MLT 8:19 AM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
As Novation have stated on their website: global.novationmusic.com the novation USB driver is not compatible with Mavericks.

If you open up Macintosh HD > System > Library > Extensions, find the NovationUSBAudio.kext file and move it to your desktop. Now try rebooting your machine and running Serato DJ again with the TWITCH connected.

Sam

Sam,

I tried this but Serato DJ only opens in Hardware not connected mode. The hardware connected screen shows for a brief moment, however it goes back to not connected and shows Error- Cannot connect Audio in the bottom right corner of Serato Dj.

Sorry but no dice. Thanks for trying though.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 9:15 PM - 20 November, 2013
Have you tried removing the device from the MIDI presets window and then connecting the device again?
8:05 AM, 5 Dec 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.