Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DDJ-SX & SL3

djlayz666 1:35 AM - 17 October, 2013
heres what i would like to know. will i be able to use a ddj-sx to control deck 1 & 2. then have turntables/cdjs going to my sl3 that will be hooked up to ch3&4 on the ddj and control deck 3 & 4?
Serato, Support
Jamie W 2:05 AM - 17 October, 2013
Hey djlayz666,

Currently the SL3 is only supported in Scratch Live, users have managed to run Scratch Live and Serato DJ at the same time.
-- Which would make what you are trying to achieve possible.
-- Just remember its not officially supported so you could run into some weird issues.

1. What kind of CDJs do you have?
-- If you own a pair of CDJ2000s / CDJ2000Nexus then you could run these in HID mode along side your DDJ-SX and control all 4 decks in Serato DJ.
-- Again this is not officially supported, but it does work.
-- Here is a link for more info --> serato.com

Dj MacMillz 2:46 AM - 17 October, 2013
DDJ SX is already a 4 chan device, why add more hardware and complicate things?

With SDJ 1.6 SL capable boxes/mixers will be able to be used for SDJ but again adding it to a DDJ-SX....is just a bit much (In my opinion that is), and of course unless using it as a stand alone mixer for whatever reason
djlayz666 6:13 AM - 17 October, 2013
i know its not supported. im talking when it is supported in sdj 1.6
deejdave 6:45 AM - 17 October, 2013
He wants to be able to use TT's in his setup. He will also have a MUCH greater advantage in that he will have full time 4 deck support. You will only have the FX, sampler, etc. controls on the DDJ-SX for the two channels you are using with the platters. Furthermore you will have to use the SL3 with Scratch Live instead of SDJ as you can only use ONE soundcard with SDJ at a time. As in either the DDJ-SX OR the SL3........................ not both. This can be done this very moment and before 1.6. If you use CDJ-2000 or CDJ-2000NXS you CAN use them to control decks 1&2 while using the SX to control 3&4 (or visa versa but CDJ's SHOULD be primary as the are far superior) and you get to use the SX to control the FX, sampler, etc for ALL 4 decks!!! I have included a picture to show this as this too can be done as we speak and I have done it. It is amazing!!! I just got the DJM-900SRt yesterday though so my SX is yesterday's news!!! I now have no need for my DJM-900Nexus either................... need one??? LOL

s401.photobucket.com
Dj MacMillz 10:32 AM - 17 October, 2013
^^dope
Serato, Support
Jamie W 7:56 PM - 17 October, 2013
Hey DJlayz666,

Deejdave is correct, Serato DJ only supports the use of one soundcard at a time.
When the SL3 box support becomes available for Serato DJ If you plug in a SL3 box and a DDJ-SX at the same time, you will run into some strange issues.
-- It might work, but its definatley not supported by us.

djlayz666 7:09 AM - 21 October, 2013
what if you used the TT's & sl3 as inputsbut still used the sx for output
deejdave 7:14 AM - 21 October, 2013
Well the SL3 is used as an input and an output WHENEVER you are using it for DVS. If you are talking about using the TT's connected to the SL3 and the SL3 connected to the DDJ-SX on two of channels YES it is possible BUT you still run the issue of needing a laptop to connect the SL3 to and run SSL (or in Dec. SDJ) on. Just remember both SSL & SDJ can only use ONE soundcard at a time and furthermore running both SDJ & SSL on the same laptop at the same time i NOT supported by Serato. People have been lucky and gotten them to work together but this is based on luck and is not supported or recommended.
Fernweh 10:12 PM - 6 January, 2014
Quote:
what if you used the TT's & sl3 as inputsbut still used the sx for output

djlayz666..were you able to resolve your issue. I am having similar issues.

I have a Pioneer DDJ SX and SL3. I am trying to use turntables in my setup for two channels and the platters on the SX for the other 2. Not sure how to achieve this since I am unable to set up the software to recognize both...or SL3 alone. I was trying this for the past two days and did not get far.
Saga 3:07 AM - 14 January, 2014
Quote:
Hey DJlayz666,

Deejdave is correct, Serato DJ only supports the use of one soundcard at a time.
When the SL3 box support becomes available for Serato DJ If you plug in a SL3 box and a DDJ-SX at the same time, you will run into some strange issues.
-- It might work, but its definatley not supported by us.

Is there ever going to be a way to use the ddj-sx AND turntables with sdj? or will it only work with a different mixer? i love the ddj-sx but i hate not being able to scratch on vinyl and using those little wheels! Will there be hardware support on a future model? or is all hope lost?
deejdave 3:44 AM - 14 January, 2014
You can use the DDJ-SX with turntables as we speak but not with DVS. They will not be adding DVS to the DDJ-SX as the SX was built after they even added DVS to Serato and they did not build the DDJ-SX in anticipation for it hence will not be able to support it. Serato has said they are looking into DVS support with future controllers but as of this moment they have no plans to include it.
controversial 10:28 PM - 22 January, 2014
if you want serato dj+controller+DVS or turntables=DDJ-SZ

serato.com
Saga 3:18 AM - 23 January, 2014
Quote:
if you want serato dj+controller+DVS or turntables=DDJ-SZ

serato.com

it will work as a plug-and-play for my 1200's?? no additional box or anything?? if i can have 2 1200s and the pioneer controller for all 4 tracks at once i will be in heaven
Serato, Support
Jamie W 3:23 AM - 23 January, 2014
Quote:
it will work as a plug-and-play for my 1200's?? no additional box or anything?? if i can have 2 1200s and the pioneer controller for all 4 tracks at once i will be in heaven

Yes you can have two turntables hooked up to the DDJ-SZ running two channels in DVS mode and the two other channels can be controlled by CDJs timecode if you wish.

Or you can run 4x CDJs with timecode CDs.
DeMoNiO 8:51 AM - 25 January, 2014
in the future will be possible to manage 2 decks with time code (sl2 sl3 etc etc) and the other 2 decks with the controller ddj sx? or just that possibility will be possible with the ddj sz? if so I'm very disappointed with that own a Serato SL3 and want to use the ddj sx, a big mistake by serato.

I'll have to move to traktor to deal with all the ddj sx

Watchwww.youtube.com

:(
deejdave 3:47 PM - 25 January, 2014
LOL yeah that looks reliable. In my experience the wires which caused more problems than any other wire combined were RCA's. It is probable that Serato will never allow two different sound cards to be used eg NO SX & SL box at the same time.
phatbob 7:13 PM - 25 January, 2014
Quote:
in the future will be possible to manage 2 decks with time code (sl2 sl3 etc etc) and the other 2 decks with the controller ddj sx? or just that possibility will be possible with the ddj sz? if so I'm very disappointed with that own a Serato SL3 and want to use the ddj sx, a big mistake by serato.

I'll have to move to traktor to deal with all the ddj sx

Watchwww.youtube.com

:(

Quote:
LOL yeah that looks reliable. In my experience the wires which caused more problems than any other wire combined were RCA's. It is probable that Serato will never allow two different sound cards to be used eg NO SX & SL box at the same time.

It's plenty reliable. Traktor box as the sole audio interface, SX as mixer and midi controller at the same time.

Plenty of people have done the same thing with Scratch Live and the 380.

Just because Serato DJ can't do it, doesn't mean it's not a good idea.
deejdave 7:28 PM - 25 January, 2014
Never said it wasn't a good idea. That's called an assumption. Just that specific sight gave me a slight heart attack because........................ "In my experience the wires which caused more problems than any other wire combined were RCA's." I am fully aware of what people do with the 380 but in all honesty I thought that was with Traktor as well and not with SSL. and I am not arguing as to whether it works as clearly it does. What I didn't know though was he was using the Traktor interface as the sole interface though as I try not to speak Spanish too often.
deejdave 7:41 PM - 25 January, 2014
Never mind i found the pages on the 380 w SSL. Nice stuff actually. Although I don't see the need for this anymore if I had seen this about 6 months ago I may have executed yet another purchase. Any idea of Serato's official stance on this sort of setup in terms of support? I know this does not mean the end or beginning of anything i am just curious.
phatbob 8:29 PM - 25 January, 2014
It only looks messy in that video because the guy's using the Traktor multicore cables; as you've probably worked out by now looking at the 380 stuff.

In reality there is literally only one 'extra' cable involved, the USB from the SX to the computer, compared to the regular Traktor/SL box and mixer setup.

I really hope Serato sort out the addressing of multiple audio interfaces at some point.
deejdave 8:34 PM - 25 January, 2014
When you say multiple interfaces are you hoping for interface + controller combo or controller + controller combo? There have been some people having luck with lower end controllers with Serato DJ. The Wego specifically I know has been known to work when used in combination with each other. Full deck & audio support. I've only heard of this anomaly with like controllers.
ed113 6:15 AM - 30 March, 2014
And here I was this whole time thinking I was the only one that owned the SL3 that went out and brought purchased the ddj sx thinking that they would work together like no problem. SMH this needs to be fixed. cause I cant afford two laptops.
deejdave 6:40 AM - 30 March, 2014
Why would you need two laptops? The laptop you own should be able to run either. Just not at the same time is all. What are you trying to achieve? There is nothing "broken" here than need to be fixed. If you need to use TT's use the SL3. If you want to run controller use DDJ-SX.
ed113 1:32 AM - 3 April, 2014
I would like to be able to use both at the same time...thats all. id like to use the controller for its effects and everything it has to offer but still be able to use my TT's. I dont think im asking for to much.
deejdave 1:39 AM - 3 April, 2014
Ahh yes. This is something they (Serato) are looking into. At least that is what they said previously.
DeeJayFixxNWI 10:41 AM - 26 April, 2014
I just ordered the DDJ SX as well as the SL4.

1) After reading this Thread, should I return the SL4? Or is there a way to make both work together without complications?

2) What is the difference btw the Serato that comes with the DDJ SX vs. Serato Live?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:30 PM - 26 April, 2014
Serato Scratch Live will eventually end support in 2015.

I think you are better off start getting used to Serato DJ.

I think you are wanting to use the DVS system (SL4), why not buy the DDJSZ which has built in DVS.
deejdave 4:26 PM - 26 April, 2014
Quote:
I think you are wanting to use the DVS system (SL4), why not buy the DDJSZ which has built in DVS.

Hit it on the head here.
deejdave 4:29 PM - 26 April, 2014
Quote:
2) What is the difference btw the Serato that comes with the DDJ SX vs. Serato Live?

The software that works with the DDJ-SX is Serato DJ. The software that works with the SL4 is Serato Scratch Live OR Serato DJ. The versions of Serato DJ for the two are identical. The Rane hardware has its own utility for additional settings otherwise the same.

DJ_X_Trodinaire hit it on the head there though as theres not much sense in earning a software that will be discontinued jan 01 2015.