Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Way to change settings for the SL1 ASIO drivers in Live.

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
harlej 1:50 PM - 2 December, 2008
So my question is - how can I change the latency (buffer) setting of my SL1 when I use it only in Ableton Live?
It's temporarily my only external sound card, so I use it to mix with Serato and sometimes to work in Live. When I go to Preferences and then click on Hardware Settings, there is only something like info box that says it's the ASIO driver, but there are no settings to change.
I tried going into Serato, then adjusting my buffer and then going back to Live, but nothing has changed. I cannot run both applications at once by the way, it messes up the sound quality, it's degarding it.

My laptop specs:

2,1 GHz Core 2 Duo
2 Gigs of RAM
160 Gigs HD with 3MB cache
Konix 3:28 PM - 2 December, 2008
The ASIO drivers for the SL1 are poorly written and there is no ASIO control panel to adjust settings. Basically what you see is what you get.

Also you cannot use the SL1 as an ASIO soundcard and in SSL at the same time, it will cause problems as you've already noticed.
harlej 5:00 PM - 2 December, 2008
Well, the latency is not so bad when I use it in Ableton Live and I still think that drivers for the SL1 are good. Luckily I don't get any problems with sound when I use Scratch Live, it works fast and solid.
I was just hoping that there are settings I can adjust in a different programs, other than Scratch Live.

Thanks for your reply!
harlej 7:17 PM - 2 December, 2008
I wonder if anyone from Rane can tell if there are plans to make SL1 more useful in other programs. Meaning - make all the necessary settings for ASIO if possible.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:05 PM - 2 December, 2008
If you haven't found this already, here's the basic info about SSL ASIO:
Quote:
The ASIO driver allows you to use the SL 1 or the TTM 57SL hardware with thrid party pro audio software applications. Read more about ASIO here - en.wikipedia.org
"CoreAudio" is the equivalent on Mac OS. We do not have CoreAudio drivers at this stage.

SL 1 ASIO
Windows XP installation:
The driver takes up very little space and consumes no system resources at all if not used, so installation will take place automatically by default. You may opt not to install the ASIO drivers by selecting a "Custom Install" and deselecting the ASIO drivers item in the list.

- With the SL1 interface connected, select "SL 1 Driver" from the audio device configuration screen within your preferred ASIO host application. Note that Scratch LIVE cannot be running at the same time, or incorrect operation of both applications may result.
- The SL1 ASIO driver provides you with 6 input channels and 4 output channels as follows:

Inputs
1 & 2: SL1 Input 1 Left/Right
3 & 4: SL1 Input 2 Left/Right
5 & 6: SL1 Mic Input (dual mono, i.e. both 5 & 6 provide the same audio)

Outputs
1 & 2: SL1 Output 1 Left/Right
3 & 4: SL1 Output 2 Left/Right

Please note that inputs 1 - 4 are Line Level only at this stage.

Inputs and Outputs may be used either as stereo pairs or individual mono channels depending on how you select them from your host application.

TTM 57SL ASIO
- This driver allows you to select your input and output; PGM 1 and 2 give you both pre and post fader options - post fader means that the upfaders will control volume.

Windows XP installation:
The driver takes up very little space and consumes no system resources at all if not used, so installation will take place automatically by default. You may opt not to install the ASIO drivers by selecting a "Custom Install" and deselecting the ASIO drivers item in the list.

Example of use - TTM 57SL ASIO driver with Ableton LIVE 5

The ASIO driver will work with any of the hundreds of ASIO compatible host applications available on the market. This example shows a typical setup with the TTM 57SL and Ableton Live, which allows you to mix between different loops playing in Ableton LIVE, and cue new samples in the headphones before mixing them in. (www.ableton.com)

- Install the ASIO driver, as per the instructions above
- Start Ableton Live, and go to the preferences panel
- Under Driver Type, select ASIO
- Under Audio Device, select TTM 57SL Driver
- Click on Hardware Setup to open the TTM 57SL control panel
- Select PGM-1 pre-fader for the Line 1 Record source and PGM-2 pre-fader for the Line 2 Record source, and click OK to close the control panel
- Click on Input Config and turn on 1/2 (stereo) and 3/4 (Stereo)
- Click on Output Config and turn on 1/2 (stereo) and 3/4 (Stereo)
- Close the Ableton Live preferences panel, and make sure the In/Out are shown in Ableton Live (Click on the View menu)
- Set each "Audio To" option to "Ext Out", and bellow this, choose "1/2" to send audio to PGM-1 on the mixer, or "3/4" to send to PGM-2

Play with the assignments and you will be able to mix between loops, or preview sounds in your headphones before you bring them into the mix.

As far as updating the ASIO drivers, I can only guess that the development team is looking into ways of improving performance when using the SL1 with other applications.
harlej 10:15 PM - 2 December, 2008
Thanks a lot. That gave me lots of info and some hope for the future as well :)
DjM@NjOl 2:57 AM - 9 June, 2010
That is the perfect explanation for PC users. But what is the way the to set The TTM 57 SL for Mac users? Thanks.

Thanks Shaun.

Your great help will be much appreciated.
ninjagaijin 3:17 AM - 9 June, 2010
This isn't for SL1 is it? Only SL3?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 3:44 PM - 9 June, 2010
Quote:
That is the perfect explanation for PC users. But what is the way the to set The TTM 57 SL for Mac users? Thanks.

Thanks Shaun.

Your great help will be much appreciated.

When using a Mac, open System Preferences and select the TTM 57SL as your Input and Output device :) No ASIO weirdness required as Macs use CoreAudio drivers (for the TTM 57SL only).
Rane, Support
Shaun W 3:45 PM - 9 June, 2010
Quote:
This isn't for SL1 is it? Only SL3?

The above quoted info is for the SL1 not the SL3.

We're currently working on ASIO and CoreAudio drivers for the SL3 :)
ninjagaijin 8:26 PM - 9 June, 2010
Hmm I don't think it would be worth developing too much further for SL1 - make SL3 the way to go.. I'd love to see it become a decent 3 channel portable sound card for instance, 24bit 48khz DAT styles..