Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

NEW IDEA FOR SERATO!! Future of DJing

AP3X Garrett 11:17 PM - 12 July, 2013
Its known that the time of the CD is on decline as well as the MP3 download culture. Music streaming software's such as Spotify and Deezer are becoming more and more popular with millions of users paying monthly. What if these services could be better utilized for the DJ community? A DJ software that allowed users to use tracks without buying them but simply paying monthly? Spotify has the 'Available Offline' function if a function like this could be used within Serato so users make a playlist of tracks and can add to it when an internet connection can be used and when not the tracks are still usable offline. This could be a real turning point for DJ softwares. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) but Virtual DJ Pro has the ability to search and play tracks that users don't have a hard copy for, but as its Virtual DJ don't think anyone cares too much.
I am still a strong believer that vinyl is more skillful but its expensive and so is downloading tracks when you buy them in the hundred and don't want to buy prefabricated compilation albums and want one track here and another there. Streaming software's eliminated that unreliable cost and would give a DJ a set rate per month they would have to pay for their music regardless of if its a very busy month with gigs every other night or a slow one with no gigs.
But anyway that's my bright idea its probably already been posted on this forum before and if not will be on another one somewhere but the software still isn't out there on an industry standard software like Serato.
geminimech 2:44 AM - 13 July, 2013
"Its known that the time of the CD is on decline as well as the MP3 download culture"
- Are you on glue?

You trying to sell some snake oil?
AP3X Garrett 8:08 AM - 13 July, 2013
its true that CDs and MP3 sales are on the decline
phatbob 11:12 AM - 13 July, 2013
Quote:
its true that... MP3 sales are on the decline

Source?
AP3X Garrett 4:08 PM - 13 July, 2013
Read it in newspaper earlier this week, will look if there is a copy of the article online
dj lashes 4:38 PM - 13 July, 2013
MP3 sales are on the DECLINE?????

I think there could be a decline on Gramophones, 4/8 tracks, tapes, records even MiniDisc and CD to a point BUT MP3 the only decline in sales most be illegal downloading.

Quote:
Read it in newspaper

www.alienresearchcorp.com
Batzz music 6:05 PM - 13 July, 2013
Digital track sales are up 5.1% from 2011 to 2012 according to Neilson
www.businesswire.com
deejdave 11:31 PM - 14 July, 2013
This made me laugh.
wellzz 2:43 PM - 15 July, 2013
Here is a new idea for Serato...
READ THE FORUMS AND ADDRESS THE EXISTING BUGS AND SOFTWARE ISSUES THAT WE ALL BRING TO YOUR ATTENTION, BEFORE YOU MOVE ON TO SOME NEW GIMMICK LIKE SERATO REMOTE, WHICH PROBABLY USED UP THE TIME THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE DEDICATED TO THE EXISTING ISSUES!
deejdave 7:24 PM - 15 July, 2013
Quote:
Here is a new idea for Serato...
READ THE FORUMS AND ADDRESS THE EXISTING BUGS AND SOFTWARE ISSUES THAT WE ALL BRING TO YOUR ATTENTION, BEFORE YOU MOVE ON TO SOME NEW GIMMICK LIKE SERATO REMOTE, WHICH PROBABLY USED UP THE TIME THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE DEDICATED TO THE EXISTING ISSUES!

I would think an entirely different team was dedicated to Remote's development. Just a guess but being it is an ipad app one would safely assume this.
wellzz 8:39 PM - 15 July, 2013
Lets assume you are correct. most apps require a main program that they will be attached to. if you are developing an app for a program, would you not want the most stable version of that program so that when you do your part in creating the app, you don't have to go back later on to change it just because the base program was off? The way I see it, they are all programers and they should have all hands on deck (no pun intended) to ensure that they are putting out a solid base. apps like these are ancillary products that should come after the main product has been tested and proven to work correctly. They are like garnish or a side dish next to a steak. If the steak isn't cooked properly, the other items on the plate won't be as appealing or significant. I will end with this, when serato as a company has the resources to add new departments to work on apps yet the same company neglects existing programs (which have been documented and confirmed by them to be faulty), it reflects a lack of commitment to their current customer base. Coincidentally if the current customer base was satisfied with the company's current products and services, they might be more inclined to continue to purchase future products from the company.
deejdave 9:13 PM - 15 July, 2013
Quote:
Lets assume you are correct. most apps require a main program that they will be attached to. if you are developing an app for a program, would you not want the most stable version of that program so that when you do your part in creating the app, you don't have to go back later on to change it just because the base program was off? The way I see it, they are all programers and they should have all hands on deck (no pun intended) to ensure that they are putting out a solid base. apps like these are ancillary products that should come after the main product has been tested and proven to work correctly. They are like garnish or a side dish next to a steak. If the steak isn't cooked properly, the other items on the plate won't be as appealing or significant. I will end with this, when serato as a company has the resources to add new departments to work on apps yet the same company neglects existing programs (which have been documented and confirmed by them to be faulty), it reflects a lack of commitment to their current customer base. Coincidentally if the current customer base was satisfied with the company's current products and services, they might be more inclined to continue to purchase future products from the company.

Your entire stance is based on the assumption that everyone has issues. I like many Mac users (notice I didn't say all) have no issues whatsoever. There are things I would change but I can honestly say I don't suffer from any issue to come even close to calling it unsatisfactory.

Here is a second angle that may help you realize how flawed your logic is. I too have my quarrels with Serato but it ha nothing to do with Serato DJ. Using your logic Serato DJ itself is a garnish to the steak (SSL). I use both but 100% know that Scratch Live's R&D has been greatly affected by the release of SDJ. Isn't this the same thing? Make sure your initial product is perfect (SSL) before releasing any other projects (SDJ)? I realize it takes away from SSL's development but I feel it is 100% worth it for Serato to have other things going on. especially because the majority of SSL users DO NOT use CDJ-2000 Nexus's. This same principle can be applied with the Ipad app as in why should the current users who ARE NOT having any issues you speak of have to suffer when they are running fine. Especially when the majority of users who are having issues have themselves to blame by using PC's? Lastly I especially see no reason they shouldn't make new releases when one team has nothing to do with the other. Think of it as the update was for SSL instead of SDJ and was simply ported as I'll be damned if someone thinks SSL should not be improved regardless of whether SDJ even worked at all EVER.

Believe me this is not meant to be a Mac/PC debate as there is no debate needed there, nor am I trying to insult you. I am only trying to help you see the other angles of this.
wellzz 12:19 AM - 16 July, 2013
Congratz if you are not having any issues with your current setup. Having said that, I'm sure that you wouldn't "suffer" if Serato didn't release a new add-on such as Serato Remote, since you probably didnt buy your setup based on a future add-on. I think its safe to assume that most have purchased their gear at face value and with the hopes of using what was advertised. For those not as fortunate as you, who have issues with the main software, it could seem a bit offputting to get word of new updates which still don't offer a fix. With regards to the mac vs pc argument or lack thereof, I agree that there is no argument there. Nor should there be since Serato is not a Mac only product that pc users are hacking in order to use it. Serato the company, markets and sells its products to both the Mac and Pc markets at identical price points. Having said that, it follows that their R&D teams should be working to deliver a product that is equal and functional across both platforms. The last time I checked the only caveats that they listed were for the AMD processors and for the intel video cards for those looking to add video. That aside, they make no claim that one should expect a subpar experience when using a mac or a pc. If you read through the forums you will find both Mac and Pc users having issues alike.
Moving on to the analogy of the garnish and the steak, neither Itch nor SDJ can be considered a garnish in relation to SSL since both of these controller-based programs were designed as standalone products that work independent of SSL. They also carry a premium price comparable to SSL. SERATO Remote on the other hand does require a working SSL box or SDJ controller. Its considered an add-on and only cost $20.
The main point in all of this is that at the end of the day Serato has your money and my money which we spent under the assumption that we were getting a premium product and the support that comes with it. They have setup these forum to allow us end users to voice any issues we may be having with their product. When you follow the threads( which date back a few years) about the same issues popping up and being ignored, its a bit disheartening. Within those same threads you will find a serato rep saying that they are aware of the issue and are working to fix it within the next few updates. So there should be no surprise when there is an uproar after receiving a software update which addresses non or few of the already documented issues, and instead presents some new add-on that they want people to spend money on! This is their business model not yours nor mine. Therefore THEY need to answer to the consumers who have already paid for their products.
And in case anyone is wordering, in my dj team and at my disposal we have most of the premium equipment that has been licensed by serato, from the SSL1 to the Rane68, Itch controllers and SDJ controllers, and we use both Mac and Pc. So my rant is not from a single point of view as it relates to gear.
deejdave 1:36 AM - 16 July, 2013
ok
DJ Boom Bap 4:12 AM - 16 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Your entire stance is based on the assumption that everyone has issues. I like many Mac users (notice I didn't say all) have no issues whatsoever. There are things I would change but I can honestly say I don't suffer from any issue to come even close to calling it unsatisfactory.

Here is a second angle that may help you realize how flawed your logic is. I too have my quarrels with Serato but it ha nothing to do with Serato DJ. Using your logic Serato DJ itself is a garnish to the steak (SSL). I use both but 100% know that Scratch Live's R&D has been greatly affected by the release of SDJ. Isn't this the same thing? Make sure your initial product is perfect (SSL) before releasing any other projects (SDJ)? I realize it takes away from SSL's development but I feel it is 100% worth it for Serato to have other things going on. especially because the majority of SSL users DO NOT use CDJ-2000 Nexus's. This same principle can be applied with the Ipad app as in why should the current users who ARE NOT having any issues you speak of have to suffer when they are running fine. Especially when the majority of users who are having issues have themselves to blame by using PC's? Lastly I especially see no reason they shouldn't make new releases when one team has nothing to do with the other. Think of it as the update was for SSL instead of SDJ and was simply ported as I'll be damned if someone thinks SSL should not be improved regardless of whether SDJ even worked at all EVER.

Believe me this is not meant to be a Mac/PC debate as there is no debate needed there, nor am I trying to insult you. I am only trying to help you see the other angles of this.

I call b.s. Crossfader curve, nuff said
deejdave 8:24 PM - 16 July, 2013
Try again. I don't use the crossfader for anything. As a matter of fact I keep it turned off. Nice try though.
deejdave 8:31 PM - 16 July, 2013
It seems to be the same thing. People have an issue and they assume EVERYONE is having that issue. Most DJ's spinning house & EDM (I hate using that acronym but that is what most of the masses call it) which currently is the vast majority don't use crossfaders.
blackavenger 2:11 PM - 28 July, 2013
I spin nearly all the Dance Music (House, Techno, DnB, Breaks, Dubstep, Future Garage, etc..) genres, and so do most of my friends, and we ALL use the crossfader!

The crossfader curve bug should be Serato's #1 priority...it's utterly ridiculous that 1.2.1 didn't fix it!!!
blackavenger 11:57 PM - 28 July, 2013
Is this the article you read, AP3X Garrett?

uploaded.net
blackavenger 11:59 PM - 28 July, 2013
^ LOL ^ .......whoops!!!

Can a Mod please delete that??!!!!!??!?!?

Here we go, this is the link to the article......

texturesmusicgroup.com
deejdave 12:21 AM - 29 July, 2013
^^^^ This guy posts a link titled "Paid Music Downloads Are Declining......... But Why" But prior to that accidentally posts a link showing he illegally downloads media................ hmmmmm.
blackavenger 3:16 AM - 29 July, 2013
The irony, right?
blackavenger 3:18 AM - 29 July, 2013
...and to be clear, I never made any proclamations stating that I don't participate in the "sharing" of media. I was merely asking if that was the article in which the OP was referring to.
elektrique 7:02 AM - 10 August, 2013
This actually exists already. Locker service to use offline cached subscription tunes: pulselocker.com

motherboard.vice.com
deejdave 1:19 PM - 10 August, 2013
Yah they let you borrow 1,000 tracks for $60 a month. I wonder what they would charge to own my 100,000 track library outright.
deejdave 1:20 PM - 10 August, 2013
Admittedly it does seem like a cool idea but clearly they are not there yet..................... as in this WILL NOT fly.
Telony Ex 7:14 PM - 12 August, 2013
I was thinking to my self last night. What if serato dj was created for android which is already open source. They could make a controller that you just attach ur hard drive to and that's it. Built in display to navigate ur files. No need for a laptop that would be wicked. That could kinda build back an original feel. Take for eg. The ns6 just add a 8×6 moniter to display ur library. Then add a small display above both jog wheel to display track info. Just imagine how stable that could be. Most handheld devices now pack up to 2 gig ram with a dual core processed. Let me know what you think guys
deejdave 10:01 PM - 12 August, 2013
Stanton made a controller that does exactly what you speak of SCS.4DJ & Pioneer also has the XDJ-R1 as well as XDJ-wego that both work without the use of a laptop. Introducing Android into the equation would cause a lot of confusion as well as create limits due to the fact it's Android. Open source is pretty much the exact opposite of Serato and just like Linux is an area that Serato will never explore. The hint should be taken in that they didn't even release Remote for Android phones. Being it is open source as you say someone should just create it. I understand there won't be much support from hardware manufacturers nor will there be any stability but then again neither would exist if Serato released a self destructive (as in they would be contributing to the cause of their own death) idea such as this.

To answer your question bluntly. It has pretty much been done already and is having/had no success.
Telony Ex 12:12 AM - 13 August, 2013
ok i got yah
Telony Ex 4:26 AM - 24 January, 2015
well pioneer with rekord box just did it...also numark ns7 to an extent...lets see how this pans out...the new beginning maybe...
deejdave 4:40 AM - 24 January, 2015
The XDJ-RX is just another XDJ controller (as the R1 & Aero were) with the addition of a screen. The Numark NV & Kontrol S8 for Traktor as well as NS7III are simply controllers with screens that assist the software running laptops.

I would agree with the XDJ-RX though. We shall see how it takes off.
blackavenger 6:14 AM - 24 January, 2015
If an RZ comes out that has 4 decks, EFX send/return, and FLAC support, then I will be a Pioneer/Rekordbox DJ from that day forth. The thing that always kept me from the Rekordbox/USB DJing experience was the cost. I didn't want to spend upwards of $7,000+ on mixing gear. But the "controller" XDJ line changes all of that.

We'll see next year....
deejdave 6:16 AM - 24 January, 2015
Quote:
But the "controller" XDJ line changes all of that

Why not consider the XDJ-R1 or XDJ-Aero? They both utilize Rekordbox and are relatively inexpensive.
blackavenger 6:28 AM - 24 January, 2015
They don't hold the same appeal for me.....I've actually demoed the R1, and I have a friend (who doesn't live near me) that has the Aero tell me that it's a fun toy, but that's it.
I guess it's that I can see where Pioneer are going w' this. There is NO WAY that the RX is going to be the first and last in this series.

Now that the announcements for NAMM are over, I am ready to buy an SZ. So, it's not as though I am anticipating, or even wishing the end of Serato. It's actually quite the opposite. I've been a loyal (well, other than my use & fascination w' Traktor's Remix Decks) user since 2005. What I want to see from Serato is more development of the software, and less hardware/licensing/money-grubbing. It was the user's loyalty to a stable product that made Serato the powerhouse it is today. I just want to see them acknowledge that again.

But even if they do that, I will still, more than likely, get an RZ model of this XDJ 'ish if it comes out ;-)
blackavenger 6:33 AM - 24 January, 2015
Plus w' the XDJ-R1 & Aero, you need an iPad to get the most out of the Library. I own an Android tablet, and am perfectly happy w' it....I have no desire to own an iPad. The RX gives you that self-contained screen to browse through your library. But, I am not satisfied w' the RX....I will need some more features before I can justify the purchase.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy my SZ.

By the way, Dave, you own Technics and the SZ. Will you please follow the link and answer my question?

serato.com
deejdave 6:46 AM - 24 January, 2015
Quote:
Plus w' the XDJ-R1 & Aero, you need an iPad to get the most out of the Library.

While I agree with the most part the USB feature (as well as direct record to USB for one of them) is supported by both. Due to the smaller screens though I can understand what youa re saying.

I am only being pretty stubborn on one point. MANY peeps are diggin into the hype of Pioneer is trying to "change the game" by introducing the first standalone player when in fact the XDJ-R1 & XDJ-Aero provided almost an identical feature set and compatibility years before this came out. I know you know your stuff so TRUST I am not trying to give you any lessons personally LOL. Just a general message is all I guess.

Quote:
By the way, Dave, you own Technics and the SZ. Will you please follow the link and answer my question?

I do and I am heading there now.
blackavenger 6:51 AM - 24 January, 2015
The R1 & Aero have Dot Matrix displays. If you want to view more than one track at a time, you need an iPad. The RX gives you the same (I think) nine line display as the 900/2000nxs. That's what I was getting at.
deejdave 7:00 AM - 24 January, 2015
Quote:
The R1 & Aero have Dot Matrix displays. If you want to view more than one track at a time, you need an iPad. The RX gives you the same (I think) nine line display as the 900/2000nxs. That's what I was getting at.

1000% agree. The display on the RX certainly does not just add a nice look but adds MUCH functional value to the feature set as well. As I said NOT here to teach you a damn thing............. I know you know your stuff LOL.
Mutis Mayfield 10:51 PM - 24 January, 2015
Djay has spotify support.
Djplayer has deezer/dropbox support.

Booth in ipad (even with dvs in the second case) so, it is not a new idea but yes probably one of the choices to consider in the nesr future.

Related to Serato it seems clear the dependecy of desktop/laptop computer (if not why NS7-III wasn't standalone unit?) but that's not something "wrong" or outdated... It is a usual approarch from serato: stability before innovation and play music in the first place.

I will love to see an standalone app with (improved in some ways) GUI of Serato Remote and keep my mac mini at home but I'm not sure if my 16gb (mostly occuped by apps) ipad 3 is cappable of manage this with stability... So I understand Serato is waiting to users to put their tablets at center of their setups to go in this way. If today main user base still use laptop/desktops... Is better to wait to best tablets and powerful iOS/Android versions (maybe a true iOSx? Surfaces?) to make the jump... Or not and keep things in the same way but improve the options with these new tools.
akakak 4:29 PM - 25 January, 2015
Got to say, AP3X Garrett was right on the money here.
Telony Ex 4:57 PM - 1 February, 2016
Quote:
I was thinking to my self last night. What if serato dj was created for android which is already open source. They could make a controller that you just attach ur hard drive to and that's it. Built in display to navigate ur files. No need for a laptop that would be wicked. That could kinda build back an original feel. Take for eg. The ns6 just add a 8×6 moniter to display ur library. Then add a small display above both jog wheel to display track info. Just imagine how stable that could be. Most handheld devices now pack up to 2 gig ram with a dual core processed. Let me know what you think guys

Was just lioking at some new gear from namm 2016 and holy shit. Some body listened and ran with this idea. Apart from not using android. They did make it happen. But i think this is the future. Controller with display screens and no need fo computers. Just plug in ur hdd or flash drives and play. One a these company should hire me. I got a few more ideas up my brain. Not saying though. No more free patents
deejdave 5:28 PM - 1 February, 2016
Quote:
Apart from not using android. They did make it happen.

Made what happen?
Telony Ex 2:14 AM - 2 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Made what happen?

Make a controller that require no computer, not serato but some other company.
skinnyguy 2:28 AM - 2 February, 2016
like the pio decks that use rekordbox or denon that uses engine?

or those...old...things...it was like a ripoff of gemini....long time ago. used usb. but never took off.

thud rumble is supposed to be working on turntables/mixers with some kinda intel chip built in.
deejdave 2:35 AM - 2 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Made what happen?

Make a controller that require no computer, not serato but some other company.

Stanton had one how many years ago? Cortex comes to mind. Rekordbox has had options for quite some time now? Is there something new here I am missing?
deejdave 2:36 AM - 2 February, 2016
Quote:
or those...old...things...it was like a ripoff of gemini....long time ago. used usb. but never took off.

Think those were the Cortex units. Same parent company as Gemini but better quality. I had one myself but as you mentioned it never really took off. Not that it didn't work it is just that more "respectible" and known brands followed directly behind which brought this to the masses.
skinnyguy 7:00 AM - 2 February, 2016
that's it! cortex!
deejdave 1:14 AM - 3 February, 2016
Quote:
that's it! cortex!

Hah!! Was a pretty neat little unit. Had all blue lights with blue display. I bought a blue backlit keyboard and replaced my Rane mixers LEDs with blue. Man those were some blue times!!

The thing was amazing for its time. They added an update halfway through its life which added scratching if you can believe that and it was the single move that opened my eyes to the doors of digital DJing. After seeing how the hardware/software can actually evolve and improve AFTER being released I was hooked. The thing worked GREAT when it worked but it had a problem where it would randomly lose connection to HDD and I quickly moved to Serato (scratch Live) from there. NEVER had a problem since LOL anyone believe me? All jokes aside its been a surprisingly smooth ride :)
Mutis Mayfield 11:35 AM - 3 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Was just lioking at some new gear from namm 2016 and holy shit. Some body listened and ran with this idea. Apart from not using android. They did make it happen. But i think this is the future. Controller with display screens and no need fo computers. Just plug in ur hdd or flash drives and play. One a these company should hire me. I got a few more ideas up my brain. Not saying though. No more free patents

From one simple idea to hardware release it should go 3 years or so. Do you believe that nobody think on it until you dreamed about? Then how is supossed to be released in the last NAMM? They should be waiting you to talk to move themselves LOL.

Jokes aside, if you want to be hired start mobile coding learning. The new improvements (even when these are propietary boards) are based in Arm chips which are mainly coded in C/C++. Mobile platforms are coded in Java (android) and Objective-C (iOS) (Swift seems not suitable for realtime processing yet). Make a prototype and crowfunding. Later (maybe) some Brand could look at you. Good luck!
deejdave 2:14 PM - 3 February, 2016
I was hoping he was joking but it actually seemed like he thought he was the first lol.
Mutis Mayfield 3:19 PM - 3 February, 2016
I recognized myself in the past so I found it funny as I was back in the days... Then times goes by and one learn some things about the industry. There are lots of predictions but things start change when oneself get deep into make them happen... and even then it is not clear you will sucess so diy almost give oneself the tool you imagine without get worried about a Brand develops.

Embeded systems aren't the future, they are the foundation (from samplers to turntables). The point is look at turntable like an instrument is relatively young POV and few Brands want to take risk in their bets (think on vestax ie) so understand that DVS is a "discontinued dot in the main function" (Fx = digitalization of the medium) is the first place to look for "innovation".

Apple is developing IA to rule our "gadgets" meanwhile we are claiming for "turntable shaped" ipod controllers. Different approaches and targets but same market. Digital djing evolves slowly than tablet iterations. Serato undertood it later with Itch2 > Sdj conversion when NI released remix decks and make the Bridge useless (not mixtape which is still a great feature)

The future of dijing is producing (NI)
The future of djing is the past (Serato)
The future of djing is mine or not be (Pioneer)

XD