DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

57 recording Pops and crackles

hersh20 4:06 PM - 21 September, 2008
Hello guys i have an issue when recording with the 57 when i listen to my mixes there's a lot of crackles and pops that seem to correspond with the bass hits. is there some sort of recording sensativity setting that im missing? Because i dont hear these crackles/pops when i am playing live.
ENDIF 11:31 PM - 20 January, 2015
I had the same problem. It sounds to me like either digital clipping (except it doesn't happen on the loudest peaks) or audio buffer problems. Going to dig into the settings to see if I can fix it, will report back..
Rane, Support
Zach S 12:50 AM - 21 January, 2015
Hey Hersh,

The clipping will occur if ANY of the gain stages are clipping.

1st gain stage is the output of SSL.
2nd gain stage is the inputs of the mixer (adjust the gain knobs so neither channel is clipping EVER).
3rd gain stage is the recording section in SSL.

As long as you stay out of the red at ALL TIMES you should not hear any clipping in your recording.
ENDIF 11:31 PM - 13 July, 2019
My problem turned out to be leaving Spotlight turned on: failing to exclude available drives during performance can result in the machine indexing them at an inconvenient time.