DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Headphone review: Hyundai CJC 9200

Discobee 9:02 PM - 9 September, 2008
Ok, ok...before you guys go "WTF Discobee? Hyundai headphones?!", let me preface this thread by saying this:

I like to try out all kinds of different brands of gear. I've been through many types of gear in my years of DJing: Technic, Numark, Pioneer, Denon, Sony, American DJ, yadi yada yada. I do believe in the old adage "You get what you pay for", which is why I like my Technics M5Gs and my Pioneer DJM800 mixer. Now with headphones, I've always liked my Sony V700 for its clean sound and appearance. I also have a Sennheiser 280 but don't want to gig with it because the foam on the cups can tear during transport. I previously had a Pioneer HDJ1000 but didn't like the sound of it after I paid $150; all the others like Technics RPDH1200 or the Denon DHP1000 still carried a $100+ price tag.

So I thought to myself, "Man, there's gotta be another brand of headphone that can play loud, looks nice and won't break the bank. I wonder what DJ's in other countries use?" Now I know all about those Sony knockoffs in Thailand but that's not what I was thinking of. So I went online and on Ebay found this Hyundai brand headphones.

Yes, Hyundai, as in the Korean auto manufacturer. Hyundai is also a large shipping corporation and they also make electronics. The seller was from Hong Kong and had over 750 positive ratings and is considered a Power Seller. The headphones with shipping to my home in Seattle, WA was $45.00, which seemed reasonable to me. Of course I'm thinking what if this is a knockoff or it sounds like crap, etc. But then I'm like: "It's $45, what have you got to lose? And what if I'm pleasantly surprised by it?" So I bought one and got it last week (took a few weeks to arrive because of Customs)

Hyundai CJC9200 Professional High Powered Headphones

Specs:
Driver size 57mm <-----larger than many other brands
Sensitivity 107 +-3dB at 1Khz
Impedance 64 ohms
Freq response 5Hz - 30Khz
RMS output 2500 milliwatt <---- comparable to many other brands
Max output 3500 milliwatt <---- comparable or more than other brands
Plug type 3.5mm stereo plug with two 6.3mm adapters

Photo: i90.photobucket.com

The first thing I liked about this headphone was that it came with a 90 degree 1/4" adapter as well as the standard straight gold adapter. The bubble pack was in English and Korean so it had the appearance of a flea market product, haha. The headphone itself was definitely a knockoff of the Pioneer HDJ1000, appearance wise, but not entirely.

I opened it up and handled it and it was not too light or flimsy feeling. The cups had nice thick pads on it, much thicker than a Sony or Pioneer. It swiveled and folded nicely without any problems. I put them on and was surprised at how comfortable they were. The top strap was also padded along with a rubber surround on the apex for durable carrying or transporting. There was a decent amount of sound isolation as well when I wore it.

I used the 90 degree plug and plugged it in to my DJM800 mixer. Usually at the clubs I do one-sided monitoring with the cue level being at around 11 or 12 o'clock position. At this level, the headphones were loud and punchy! The highs were not as crisp as my Sennheiser, but I don't think the Hyundai was geared for audiophile type monitoring. I turned the level past the 1 o'clock position and it got even louder, yet no distortion to the sound. Vocals were still clear and the bass tight.

This past weekend I used it at a club gig and the headphones worked more than satisfactory. Much louder than my Sony with responsive bass for me to keep the beat (it was at the 11 o'clock position on the cue level). The 57mm drivers definitely maintained their output.

Summary: This Hyundai headphone is no gimmick! Loud clean sound with punchy head-pounding bass that won't distort in a club setting and it looks nice and wears comfortably, too. It is a great primary or spare headphone for gigs without breaking the bank. Durability has yet to be determined since I've only owned it for one week, but for $45, I'm sure my investment will have been a worthwhile one.

Pros: cheap, good sound, 90 degree adapter plug included
Cons: no carrying pouch

Ok, now that you've read the review, you guys can go ahead and make fun of me...
shiestO! 9:39 PM - 9 September, 2008
sennheiser hd25... man. try those out. you'll give up on your sony's.

however they might not fit in the "looks nice" category. rather plain but ver functional. i've noticed a lot of dj's tend to think they need a fucking space station sized headphone set. not the case.

yes, they're 200 bones. no, you won't have to buy replacements, all parts are replaceable.
Corex 11:39 PM - 9 September, 2008
not going to lie, i need to pick up a cheap backup pair of headphones. you still have the ebay link for these puppies i wouldn't mind picking a pair up after reading your review.
Discobee 11:50 PM - 9 September, 2008
Just search Hyundai CJC9200 on eBay and find the seller with over 700+ rating. I don't want to put the link since it might look like I'm advertising.
sixxx 1:19 AM - 10 September, 2008
I really believe that much like their cars, this product aint gonna last you long and those $45.00 will be wasted. I rather spend a lot more ONCE than small amounts x many.

The other thing I wouldn't trust is their specs. Knock off products are known to lie in their specs.

But, time will tell.
Discobee 1:54 AM - 10 September, 2008
You mean you don't believe in America's Best Warranty sixxx? 10 years 100,000 miles powertrain protection covers most engine and transaxle components! Lol!

I'm going to gig with this for a bit and see if this thing holds up. Because if it does, it's actually not a bad headphone. Like you said, time will tell. Will update later.
Kenny Q 2:18 AM - 10 September, 2008
Quote:
sennheiser hd25... man. try those out. you'll give up on your sony's

I tried on a pair of Sennheiser hd25 in the Atlantic City DJ show and I loved it. They are lightweight and sound great.

I would have looked into buying them but I ended up winning a pair of Pioneer's at the show (didn't get them yet).
DJJorel 6:42 PM - 10 September, 2008
Yep +1 on the Senn hd25

I've had mine four years, dropped them numerous times, they are lighter than many others, and they sound great. I've never replaced a part on them. I've had Pios, Sonys, and Technics....none of them measured up.

Next time you watch a live sporting event, look at the headphones the commentary guys are using. 9 times out of 10, they are the hd25s with the microphone attachment. That is what convinced me to get them 4 years ago, and they are still going strong.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:30 PM - 10 September, 2008
Wish the HD25 had coiled cable Id buy them.
Swizzle 10:01 PM - 10 September, 2008
I had an '89 Hyundai Excel (Candy Red..but lived in a Crip Neighborhood) like the one in Boyz N Da Hood when they shot Ricky!

It was a waste and joke of a car. I had to replace the "Clutch Cable" every 2months. This was a piece sold at Autozone or the Dealer that would break if you came off the Clutch too hard or pressed the Clutch too hard to shift gears :-/
At one point they were breaking and they had none left in most Auto Parts store in the South Bay.

I know we aren't talking about cars...but if you dislike NuMark would you be down with their Mp3's players, Sneakers, HDTV's etc...
Discobee 7:27 PM - 17 December, 2009
Update: it's been over a year of using these headphones on a pretty steady basis. Lots of folding, swiveling, cramming in and out of the gig bag and it still works like new. The earcups have not deteriorated one bit and the sound is still good. The swivel have not cracked at all. I did use some rubbing alcohol to rub off the Hyundai logo so that no one can see the brand of headphones I have haha. I feel as though I've gotten my $45 worth from these guys.
Kenny Q 8:32 PM - 17 December, 2009
Good for you.
TreeFense 8:38 PM - 13 May, 2011
They look like JUST like Ultrasone headphones.
Chris Deluxe 4:43 AM - 14 May, 2011
Quote:
They look like JUST like Ultrasone headphones.

Lol did u really went to page 1374 of this forum and dug up this thread? :)
lipjam 8:31 PM - 9 September, 2011
Amusing image Chris Deluxe but there is also google.
I wanted to find some info on these headphones and found this very helpful. Thanks for a great review & taking the time to follow up Discobee!
sixxx 2:32 AM - 10 September, 2011
My Technics headphones last me an average of 5 years.
I'm not talking about the really expensive ones either.
Those have been known to crack. The ones I have
they don't make anymore. My first pair lasted me well
over 5 years. This second pair is on its 3rd year and
no issues besides normal wear and tear.
Discobee 4:19 AM - 10 September, 2011
I'm pretty sure these are super-OEM type headphones that American Audio and Reloop stamps their brand name on it. And mine are still kicking, lol.
RAMPING 8:12 AM - 10 September, 2011
senhiser hd25 - da best.
Discobee 12:45 PM - 10 September, 2011
^^Thanks, Mr. Obvious...lol.
RAMPING 3:37 PM - 10 September, 2011
haha sorry, but i hate big head phones like pioneer hdj/ the technics ect. that's why im such a fan.