DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Frozen's serato post fader effects method (SL-3, SL-4 ONLY)

frozen 10:27 PM - 19 February, 2013
The fact that only prefader effects were available (or so I had thought) was bothering me, and since my Ecler HAK 360 does not have any effects, I thought of this routing method to deliver postfader effects efficiently and easily.

The things you will need to achieve this are:
A Rane SL-3 Or SL-4 Box. An SL-2 Will not work, nor will an SL-1.

A mixer with an effects routing option.

This is not a perfect method at all, and unfortunately the latency within this loop causes a constant repeater effect to be heard, if this is not used sparingly.

The method:
Assuming you have a simple two turntable setup. Plug the effects routing OUTPUT (EEF in my case) to the auxiliary INPUT on the SL-3. Plug the auxiliary OUTPUT on the SL-3 into the MIX input on the mixer (Effects return).

In serato, enable auxiliary deck. Enable internal playing, start playback, load LiveFeed to this aux track.

Configure your effects to run on this deck only, leave your effects toggled on constantly.

Now when you toggle your external effects routing on your mixer, the signal will be sent into serato, manipulated on the AUX channel, and then sent out back into the mix POSTFADER.

Only used it for echo-outs so far. Works a treat for that though.

I've tried to explain as best as I can, and it's definitely been done before but I couldn't find a post about it, other than serato.com where the idea was submitted as a potential feature, rather than an existing possibility.

If anyone has any idea how to improve upon this please comment. Latency is the biggest issue that I'm facing.
powercut 1:30 PM - 20 February, 2013
Good work! I was thinking about ways to do this a few years ago - I think I even may have made a thread on here), but never found a decent method. Shame you can't hide the 3rd deck as I'm far too used to the standard 2 deck vertical waveform view.
frozen 8:05 PM - 20 February, 2013
It's quite annoying having the 3rd deck open alright, but I use the over and under view normally anyway so it's not too big of a change for me. I feel like this could actually be very useful if the software were optimized to allow fast throughput of the signal like this. Definitely a software limitation rather than hardware, anyway.
powercut 10:13 AM - 21 February, 2013
Maybe we should put it this forward as a feature request? Makes sense to use unused channels for effects loops, whether it will actually happen is another thing entirely.