DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How many DJs are there in the world?

deejaysketchy 4:26 PM - 13 August, 2008
I'm hitting a brick wall with this, and my head really hurts! Anyone got any idea what the answer is to this question, or any leads to finding out?

It's a REALLY important data point I need for a new business idea I'm working on for DJ mixes. Need to be able to estimate the size of our target market so we can show investors (who don't realise how big the DJ market is) with tangible, persuasive numbers that it's worth their time and money!

If anyone has an idea on this I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks
DPR250R 4:40 PM - 13 August, 2008
At any party half the crowd is or was a DJ.... til it's time to breakdown.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 5:04 PM - 13 August, 2008
good luck with that. just throw out a phony big number in the millions. And figure that investors will give you $1 for each DJ. So figure out how much you want your investors to put up and double that number.
sixxx 5:08 PM - 13 August, 2008
100,000 DJ's and about 1 billion microwaves.
Chulindo 5:53 PM - 13 August, 2008
my # is 9999999......9999999999.....9999999999......999999999......99999999...
Sol*los 6:03 PM - 13 August, 2008
Quote:
At any party half the crowd is or was a DJ.... til it's time to breakdown.

Aint that the truth!!!
Steve Dub. 6:20 PM - 13 August, 2008
Q: How many dj's are there in the world?

A: TOO MANY!!!
deejaysketchy 6:27 PM - 13 August, 2008
yep yep, ain't i heard this before!! for the first time in my life i'm actually happy about how every man and his dog is a dj these days! but it don't help me get the number i need.

i'm sure someone at serato's gotta know. yo if you out there and reading this, help a brother in need.
shiestO! 7:49 PM - 13 August, 2008
sorta dumb imo no offense. especially to take as a business point or whatever. how the hell would you know?

online poll? no. find me a dj fuckin with one turntable and a megaphone in a 3rd world country that has an internet connection. also all the dj's in the world aren't the same target audience. i don't listen to 75% or more of the shit listed or suggested on this forum, and 75% or more of the people on this forum don't listen to my shit, etc.

you could always estimate, but it seems like asking how many singers there are in the world when you know everybody sings in the shower or in the car but they're not "singers." get me?

impossible. probably just since i typed this somebody else became a dj anyway.
Steve Dub. 7:56 PM - 13 August, 2008
Well since everyone has serato now just ask rane how many sl1's & 57's they've sold and it will give you an accurate number. jk.
djdragon 8:58 PM - 13 August, 2008
Quote:
It's a REALLY important data point I need for a new business idea I'm working on for DJ mixes. Need to be able to estimate the size of our target market so we can show investors (who don't realise how big the DJ market is) with tangible, persuasive numbers that it's worth their time and money!

Good luck.
De LA 9:52 PM - 13 August, 2008
Quote:
I'm hitting a brick wall with this, and my head really hurts! Anyone got any idea what the answer is to this question, or any leads to finding out?

If anyone has an idea on this I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Look on myspace.
Logisticalstyles 10:26 PM - 13 August, 2008
First tell me how many rappers there are and then I'll tell you how many DJs there are.
AmphetaMarinE 11:40 PM - 13 August, 2008
Maybe find out how many nightclubs there are in the world, then multiply that by say... 3? (Thurs, Fri, Sat) (This assumes only one resident per night.)
That should cover the majority of club dj's.
Then add maybe half that again for mobile jocks.
Then find out how many music radio stations there are broadcasting, and multiply that also by about 3 (Morning, afternoon, and graveyard...)
nik39 12:23 PM - 14 August, 2008
I got 99,000,000 problems... and all are DJ's.
deejaysketchy 2:16 PM - 8 December, 2008
Yo lost track of this thread. Thanks for all the good luck messages, damn right it's a hard stat to estimate! but the point is that it's an estimation, so i don't agree that it's not worth bothering. Good to have a handle on the order of magnitude if anything - i.e. is it 1 in a 1000 people or 10 in a thousand?

In case anyone's interested, here's the estimation I came to:

According to CNN.com in 2002, annual revenue from DJ equipment sales in the USA was $500m. I took a gross simplification of an average spend of $1,000 per person (which I think is fair since they'll be lots of small purchases of slipmats, carts etc, and some very big spends).

This gives us approx 500,000 DJs in the USA in 2002. I increased this by 10% year-on-year - high growth but reflects changes in the digital dj industry and lower barriers to entry for DJs.

So that gives us approx 900K DJs in the USA in 2008.

The population of the USA is 330million, so a quick sense check:
900K DJs = 3 in 1000 people = approx 1 in 100 15-34 yaer olds
(approx 30% of population is in that demographic).

This sounds like a reasonable number to me.

so yep, very much finger in the air analysis, but I thought it was an interesting number to get!
DJiceberg 3:26 PM - 8 December, 2008
Quote:
Yo lost track of this thread. Thanks for all the good luck messages, damn right it's a hard stat to estimate! but the point is that it's an estimation, so i don't agree that it's not worth bothering. Good to have a handle on the order of magnitude if anything - i.e. is it 1 in a 1000 people or 10 in a thousand?

In case anyone's interested, here's the estimation I came to:

According to CNN.com in 2002, annual revenue from DJ equipment sales in the USA was $500m. I took a gross simplification of an average spend of $1,000 per person (which I think is fair since they'll be lots of small purchases of slipmats, carts etc, and some very big spends).

This gives us approx 500,000 DJs in the USA in 2002. I increased this by 10% year-on-year - high growth but reflects changes in the digital dj industry and lower barriers to entry for DJs.

So that gives us approx 900K DJs in the USA in 2008.

The population of the USA is 330million, so a quick sense check:
900K DJs = 3 in 1000 people = approx 1 in 100 15-34 yaer olds
(approx 30% of population is in that demographic).

This sounds like a reasonable number to me.

so yep, very much finger in the air analysis, but I thought it was an interesting number to get!

i was just about to tell you that it might be more reasonable to go after indicators of DJ activity. something along the lines of "number of mixers sold per year", but it looks like you're already on the right track.

you could also go after numbers like the number of active users of this forum/other dj forums to get an idea of the number of DJs online.

hope that helps.
bourbonstmc 4:34 PM - 8 December, 2008

Next question?
monkeybiz 4:41 PM - 8 December, 2008
There are approximately twelve DJ's for every man, woman, child, and chihuahua on Earth. Thirteen out of those twelve are quote-unquote "microwaves".
R-Tistic 5:13 PM - 8 December, 2008
LMAO at the responses. Some of them actually show bitterness to me.

Yeah, maybe 1 in 100 is a good estimate. It is hard, just because anyone can call themself a DJ...so it's not as quantitative as it is with the number of college students or engineers...but still easier to figure out than the number of "rappers" or "people who play basketball."
AMF 6:50 PM - 8 December, 2008
Quote:

Next question?

5 live in Michigan and 11,943,859.972555 live in California.
sixxx 7:42 PM - 8 December, 2008
lol
Gerry Freedom 10:23 PM - 3 February, 2012
Try www.thedjlist.com.. they have the list of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of DJ's from around the world... Thats problably the closest you'll get to a number..
DJBIGWIZ 10:29 PM - 3 February, 2012
a lot of DJ's but a WHOLE LOT MORE people that play music and call their self dj's
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:48 PM - 5 February, 2012
Isn't that what a DJ does...play music?
dj poisonous handz 5:04 PM - 5 February, 2012
before serato = 562,000 djs after serato = 5,328,344,322,122,429,234,114 djs
Panotaker 5:35 PM - 5 February, 2012
Is probably easier to count the people who don't call them selves DJs.
DJBIGWIZ 7:31 PM - 5 February, 2012
Quote:

there's a difference between just playing music and being a dj.... just like making a sandwich and being a chef are different... or fixing a flat and being an auto mechanic... cleaning out a cut and applying a band aid and being a Dr. etc.... a juke box plays music... is it a DJ? You mom can play a song on an iPod... is she a DJ? etc... if you don't understand the difference in someone just playing music and being a DJ then you are probably someone just playing music. ;)
dj poisonous handz 7:35 PM - 5 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

there's a difference between just playing music and being a dj.... just like making a sandwich and being a chef are different... or fixing a flat and being an auto mechanic... cleaning out a cut and applying a band aid and being a Dr. etc.... a juke box plays music... is it a DJ? You mom can play a song on an iPod... is she a DJ? etc... if you don't understand the difference in someone just playing music and being a DJ then you are probably someone just playing music. ;)

court adjourned.next case
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:56 PM - 5 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Dude please take your lame analogy to someone who can not speak for themselves.

Let me help you out...
Fixing a flat and being a mechanic does what...get your car going.
Cleaning a cut and performing surgery does what...fixes what ails you at the moment.
Making a PBJ or Creme Brulee is what... making food to eat.
Trainwrecking at your friends party or killing it like Jazzy Jeff is.... still playing music. How you do it is irrelevant. The action is playing music.

Per wikipedia en.wikipedia.org
" A disc jockey, also known as DJ, is a person who selects and plays recorded music for an audience."

Per Merriams Webster www.merriam-webster.com
one who plays recorded music for dancing at a nightclub or party

Please stop being the usual passive aggressive kid on a message board.
RogerRabbit 11:00 PM - 5 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Ridiculous comparison..

Chefs for restaurants have state inspections
Auto Mechanics have state inspections
Doctors have state inspections
^^All of the above - can cause deaths if tasks in their profession are not performed correctly.

There is no such standards for becoming a dj - that's are so many dj's around.

Beat-matching/song selection/read crowds is not a complicated people try to make it out to be - that's why cats who haven't graduate high school (example sara and ryusei/ninos/ramping etc) to people with BA/graduate/masters degree are getting gigs..

And while there are more complicated forms of dj
(juggling/drumming/scratching) - the public general does not need this as a requirement for you to entertain them/ call yourself a dj.

In other words - the barriers to entry - for the dj field is very low & it is not determined other djs but by the clients who accept your title..
DJBIGWIZ 11:07 PM - 5 February, 2012
Quote:

court adjourned.next case
DJBIGWIZ 11:16 PM - 5 February, 2012
so playing music is all there is to being a DJ... ok anyone who has ever pressed play on an iPod, walkman, cd player ie a DJ. Anyone who has ever played a song from a juke box is a DJ. You change the station on your radio to select another song, that makes you a DJ.

Playing a song is all it takes to qualify you as being a DJ... there's your Lame analogy.

Oh damn... my cat just jumped on the table and stepped on the turntables Start/Stop button... WOW, My cat is a DJ! That's amazing! Now she can go take away your gig for $1.00 a night plus all the water she can drink.
RogerRabbit 11:18 PM - 5 February, 2012
Quote:
so playing music is all there is to being a DJ... ok anyone who has ever pressed play on an iPod, walkman, cd player ie a DJ. Anyone who has ever played a song from a juke box is a DJ. You change the station on your radio to select another song, that makes you a DJ.

Playing a song is all it takes to qualify you as being a DJ... there's your Lame analogy.

Oh damn... my cat just jumped on the table and stepped on the turntables Start/Stop button... WOW, My cat is a DJ! That's amazing! Now she can go take away your gig for $1.00 a night plus all the water she can drink.

In other words, you couldn't think of an intelligent come back..
DJBIGWIZ 12:09 AM - 6 February, 2012
Quote:

In other words, you couldn't think of an intelligent come back..

haha like "playing a song makes you a DJ" deserves any kind of a response in the first place let alone an intelligent one.
DJ NewYork 5:51 PM - 6 February, 2012
JayBeezie 11:18 PM - 25 December, 2012
Interesting question,

I've been trying to get this info also. But even with that, it still seems like its way more. Some dj's don't use Serato because they love strictly spinning vinyl so if you try and match it to that or who has a mixer, as their are a number of companies that deliver good mixers, that might not be a good estimate.

But in all, I appreciate all of your comments.

Cheers,
Dj JesC 9:28 PM - 27 December, 2012
How many DJs are there in the world? Too many...
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:36 PM - 27 December, 2012
How many djs in this world....everyone....except for deadmau5
Dj JesC 9:52 PM - 27 December, 2012
Quote:
How many djs in this world....everyone....except for deadmau5
pre or post Kat? wait, Kat Von is getting hitched to deadmouse5, is that his twisted way of trolling the world? Mrs Kat Von Deadmouse5? Kinda catchy
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:57 PM - 27 December, 2012
Who wants to bet she drops a dubstep album 2nd quarter 13
Dj JesC 10:06 PM - 27 December, 2012
Quote:
Who wants to bet she drops a dubstep album 2nd quarter 13

I think so, but dubstep? She did mention something a while back when she was on the Joe Rogan podcast.
dj poisonous handz 10:53 PM - 27 December, 2012
Remember seeing her in 2006.in front of miami ink.she was chain smoking and riding a 10 speed with no seat.just the seat pole.can't make this up
sixxx 10:54 PM - 27 December, 2012
Quote:
Remember seeing her in 2006.in front of miami ink.she was chain smoking and riding a 10 speed with no seat.just the seat pole.can't make this up

lol
Dj JesC 2:16 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:

dang!
DJ Reflex 4:05 AM - 29 December, 2012
www.flickr.com

probably NSFW... just sayin'
beuis 8:55 PM - 25 April, 2013
years ago i got some answers about how many technics 1200 and 1210 decks had been sold in the UK i can not remember where i got the info from but i think its very reliable.

Number of technics decks sold by year 2000 in the UK was 1 million or there abouts.....
UK population is 60 million so in the UK (where DJing is very popular) the number of DJs is
5 hundred thousand because turntables are sold in pairs!!

therefore 1 in 120 people are not just DJs but DJs using vinyl in the year 2000
This is a similar number to that which was estimated above at 1 in 100 people is a real DJ

This I think is a good estimate for the UK and USA however this may be very different in africa or china etc....

Not only that many DJs are now using controllers instead of 1200s. which is a big shame :(
DJ Dynamite - NJ 8:59 PM - 25 April, 2013
As many people as there are in the world today is the amount of DJs there are, because everybody thinks they're a DJ nowadays
DJRemixEnt 10:08 PM - 25 April, 2013
Quote:
because everybody thinks they're a DJ nowadays

proof:Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Dynamite - NJ 10:09 PM - 25 April, 2013
SMH
DJRemixEnt 10:44 PM - 25 April, 2013
all these years of practicin for no nothin... ive finally found the secret to getting booked for gigs and publicity as a DJ:

goofy ass glasses...Watchwww.youtube.com
Papa Midnight 1:08 AM - 26 April, 2013
Quote:
all these years of practicin for no nothin... ive finally found the secret to getting booked for gigs and publicity as a DJ:

goofy ass glasses...Watchwww.youtube.com

meh....