DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Numark TTXUSB vs Technics SL1210M5G

DJ NightLife 9:24 PM - 17 June, 2008
Big decision there. I've read earlier posts about the Numark TTXUSB and surprisingly, turntablists that have been in the game for may years agree to say the TTXUSB can be as rock solid as Technics are. For those who have owned both, I'd like to know:

-Is the pitch on the Numark as accurate as the Tehnics ?
-Can someone sum up what does it change if it's a S shaped tonearm or straight ? I don't know what the difference is... Is it true that S is known to skip more ? And straight can damage vinyl quicker than S ?
-I consider that Technics are known for their solid construction but the Numark are damn cheap and I could save some money.
-I previously owned CDX from Numark which I've sold because of problems... I thought that it's be over for me about Numark... Seems I haven't had my lesson yet.
-I really like the easy setting for start and break adjust. That's a +1 for Numark. The LCD pitch % display is also cool but I really need to know if it's as accurate as Technics.
-Phono and line... what more can it bring to have a line output? Does it change something to the sound ? I guess the scope in SSL is gonna be perfect, but why can't other turntables have a line output as well ?

Thanks for your advices!
DJ NightLife 9:25 PM - 17 June, 2008
Ah and why a usb port on a deck ? What is it used for ?
DJ NightLife 9:27 PM - 17 June, 2008
How's the build quality on the TTX ? Is it still plastic cheap knobs like the CDX or improved on that point ?
DJ NightLife 9:32 PM - 17 June, 2008
Also, has there been some improvement since the Numark TTX / TTX1 besides usb feature ?
DJ NightLife 4:26 AM - 18 June, 2008
Anyone ?
Shawny D 5:27 AM - 18 June, 2008
Taken from Numark's website:

"The TTXUSB's built-in USB connector simplifies connection to a computer for fast, professional grade vinyl-to-digital transfer."

Other than that, looks like any other TTX as far as features are concerned. The plastics are similar, although the TTXUSB doesn't have the rotary-knob that the CDX has (it's mainly used to flip through tracks on the CDX.)

Having played on a pair of TTXs for a couple of years now, I'd vouch for its build quality. That's not to say that the CDX is any good (it's not), but the TTX is a solid TT for the price of a 1200 mk2 with way more features.
Shawny D 5:28 AM - 18 June, 2008
Oh yeah, +1 Numark TTX! (Obviously)
djdragon 5:29 AM - 18 June, 2008
Do you like your girls with or without penises?

It's the same comparison between the Technics and Numark.
If you haven't learned your lesson (as you said), then we can't help you.
lost vegas 5:35 AM - 18 June, 2008
save yourself the time and money, also the agravation of cheap turntables. Just buy technics one time and they'll last a lifetime. Sorry I know that wasent a helpful answer but no other brand has ever made a turntable that has the feel and build quality of a technics 1200 not even the top of the line vestex. You get what you pay for...
Liquidice 5:38 AM - 18 June, 2008
plus if you ever play out in a club your going to see Technics in front of you in some way shape or form.
DJ NightLife 5:47 AM - 18 June, 2008
Think I'm about to go for a pair of used SL1210. I mean, is there something to pay attention at for used turntables ? And djdragon: I like them without of course :P
Shawny D 6:22 AM - 18 June, 2008
Ah, the Technics fanboys have chimed in!

JK, to each his own, though. I am merely sharing my own personal experience with what I believe to be a very competent turntable. I will not speak against the SL-1200/1210, but I will certainly defend my opinion of the TTXs.

As far as build quality is concerned, just go to your local DJ shop and feel 'em both for yourself (no misquote).

Quote:
You get what you pay for...

We sure did, and have yet to regret it.
Shawny D 6:29 AM - 18 June, 2008
Quote:
plus if you ever play out in a club your going to see Technics in front of you in some way shape or form.

I highly doubt that he's going to be lost if he's coming from a pair of TTXs at home to a set of 1200s at the club, if that's what you meant.
Jay-R Enguillado 6:56 AM - 18 June, 2008
the TTX may be a decent turntable, but it is still a Numark.

Sorry but Numark is not known for it's build quality or customer satisfaction.

Call me a Technics fanboy all you want, but i would rather be a Technics fanboy than a Numark fanboy. no offense.

To sum it up, turntables are just a tool.

I heart my M5G's.
DJ Sniffles 8:02 AM - 18 June, 2008
Sorry Jay-R but you should own a TTX

I have a pair of Mk2's and M3Ds (wish I had some M5G's)
and a pair of TTX1's....

To be honest, my TTX1's are my main home setup decks that I practice and record with for the most part...

The torque is unmatched, but to be completely honest, get the Technics

If you plan to play out later, its best be recognized with the Technics.

Also...as Jay-R said, turntables are just a tool

A DJ's gear is only as good as the DJ behind them, so get whatever you feel best you can afford. You can get some used Technics for pennies on the dollar.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 11:29 AM - 18 June, 2008
Technics is the only choice if you ask me. I bought my first pair 13 years ago and the only problem I've ever had is that I had to replace the RCA cables, which is pretty good if you ask me. Seems like there's just too many bells and whistles on the Numark which means more of a chance of something breaking down on you when you least expect it.
sixxx 12:30 PM - 18 June, 2008
I know 2 DJ's with crappy Numark TTX's who switched to Technics cause they went bad on them. No Numark product is rock solid... and stay away from Numark customer support.

Buying a Numark TTX is a gamble in itself. You may get lucky and have no problems.

I would buy any other no brand name turntable before I bought a numark one.
Bigfourty4 1:12 PM - 18 June, 2008
I had two ttx turntables....got rid of them because there were weird glitches with the platter.

I only use technics now.
Bigfourty4 1:14 PM - 18 June, 2008
Also...when looking at each companies new products.....

Numark always comes out with new stuff---support disappears and its harder to sell a discontinued/outdated model if you want to get rid of it

Techincs is pretty standard here...no new products for a reason....the ones they have are awsome. I'd go with the m5G---you wont be disapointed
djdragon 1:55 PM - 18 June, 2008
Quote:
I like them without of course :P

Then you will be just fine son. ;)
Shawny D 2:21 PM - 18 June, 2008
Quote:
Get whatever you feel best you can afford.

And that's what we did. For the money (key-phrase), a brand-new TTX's feature-list can't be beat.

Quote:
You can get some used Technics for pennies on the dollar.

In hindsight, buying used Technics should've been a very viable option, but we were very hesitant to buy used-equipment back when we were first shopping around, especially not knowing the use/abuse that any TT could've received during its years of service.

Quote:
I would buy any other no brand name turntable before a numark one.

Really? We were initially looking at that Gemini Mix Master and Stanton DJLab (new SL-1200 mk2s weren'even in the equation because they were just too expensive for what spartan features they had to offer) before going with the TTXs and, looking back, I'm pretty sure we made the right decision (well, the better decision, anyway).

Quote:
Buying a Numark TTX is a gamble in itself. You may get lucky and have no problems.

I guess we're one of the lucky ones...so far. (knocks on wood)
Shawny D 2:22 PM - 18 June, 2008
weren' = weren't
shiestO! 6:54 PM - 18 June, 2008
you won't save money buying numarks. you will buy them... then you will buy technics. then you will have wasted all that money on numarks. don't do it... it's a stupid comparison, no offense. your numarks will die in 1-3 years and your techs will last until you get arthritis and wear depends.
Discobee 9:54 PM - 18 June, 2008
My response is only for DJ Nightlife and is not directed to offend anyone or heat up any debate. I have owned the following models: Technics 1200MK2, M3D, MK5, M5G and also Numark TT500 & TTX...and what it comes down to is the user's personal preference and comfort level. Myself, I think both the TTX and the 1200M5G are great turntables, both are solid and have nice functions. I like the Technics better because of the following reasons:

Money-wise, TTX will be cheaper...but it's not necessarily a better buy. Function-wise, TTX will have more functions...but it's not necessarily more useful.

TTX-USB: as a DJ, when do you ever plug a turntable directly to your computer without first going through a mixer? Almost never.

Digital pitch 8/16/50%: TTX can do up to 50%, M5G does 16%....when do you ever mix past +-8-10%? Hardly ever.

TTX digital pitch display: not really necessary because you can look at Serato if you're using it.

TTX interchangeable pitch slider location: not necessary, plus it's just another "loose" part that can malfunction later.

TTX reverse, adjustable start/stop torque: When have you ever heard a DJ play a record in reverse at a club? Never. Adjustable torque is cool, but not necessary as the torque on either turntable is already strong enough. It's not like it's a belt-drive turntable.

Interchangeable S-shape & straight tonearms: again, nice to have but not necessary. Even the best scratchers in the world can do it just fine on the S-arm.

Durability: I only owned my TTX for a short time, but I do believe that they're well-built and are durable. I've yet to see a club, bar, restaurant that has TTX's as their primary turntables here where I live. I've only played on Technics when I play out. Technics 1200's reputation as a solid turntable is unmatched and that is why it is "the industry standard".

So DJ Nightlife, I would just read everyone's thoughts and comments on this topic and then make a wise and educated purchase of your preference.
DJ NightLife 10:00 PM - 18 June, 2008
Discobee, thanks for your very very good answer. There is just one thing:

Quote:
TTX digital pitch display: not really necessary because you can look at Serato if you're using it.

That is not true, Serato won't recognize that you're speeding up your deck. I mean, there is no table in the world, unless I'm wrong, that can have its pitch sync'ed with the one into serato.
dj_penguin 10:21 PM - 18 June, 2008
He's saying that there is a pitch readout in SSL, that's all. It's on the left side of the record labels.
Discobee 11:57 PM - 18 June, 2008
^^^What DJ Penguin said. As you move your pitch slider on your turntable, you should be able to see the change in speed on Serato, look at the "9 oclock" position of the deck, you'll see the % there.
Jay-R Enguillado 4:41 AM - 19 June, 2008
Discobee hit it on the nail.

great post.
djdragon 2:31 AM - 20 June, 2008
Quote:
Discobee hit it on the nail.

great post.

See he likes his girls sans-penis, just like the rest of us! *lol*
Discobee 4:33 AM - 20 June, 2008
^^^Oh yeah...that's WORD-UP on that one!
Bigfourty4 3:43 PM - 20 June, 2008
fyi- ttx digital display will only show you the pitch, and not the bpm (which is another feature of the turntable).

It will show the bpm on normal vinyl records.
Bigfourty4 3:45 PM - 20 June, 2008
Discobee hit the nail on the head. I bought the ttx as my first pair. i got rid of them a year later...it was really hard too because everyone was like ---bro...they are discontinued......im just gonna get the new ones when they come out.

Vs. the techs...i like the techs because they are soo simple to use. not all of the extra features.
BIG DJ PHAZE 6:21 AM - 21 June, 2008
Techs
DJ Michael Basic 9:05 AM - 22 June, 2008
The original TTX were unreliable and prone to problems. The second generation of TTX are indeed solid and reliable. I'd assume the only change between the second generation and this new usb model is the addition of the USB interface, so you're safe with a pair of TTX. The TTX you want to stay away from are the ones that have the little 1 next to the X where it says TTX.

I have 3 1200mkIIs, 2 1200mk5s 2 second gen ttx and 1 1st gen ttx. The first gen ttx I have works just fine but I almost never use it. My second gen ttx are my main home setup, they get used all the time and they even survived the fire at Bank Heist and still work just like a champ.

I'll agree with everyone else who says you should get a pair of techs to practice on until the deck you get to the point where the deck you use doesn't matter anymore. Get some used techs so that you can learn how to mix on turntables that have vastly different pitches. If all you ever mix on is a TTX with a digital pitch, when you end up at a club where the 1200s have double 0 points, +3% is really +4 on one side and +2 on the other...it'll be a lot easier for you to deal with if you've experienced it before.
djabstrack 6:46 PM - 25 June, 2008
Currently I own a pair of the original Numark (1st gen ttxs) and a pair of Technics 1200mkIIs and I agree with many of the previous posters remarks concerning the Numarks. Since the ttxs are overloaded with features and are digital, the ttxs run into many problems concerning their reliability. One of my ttxs will randomly stop or slow down due to issues with the platter and magnet. I have never had any problems with my technics, due to their sturdy and reliable construction. Although technics do not have the amount of features (i.e. greater pitch variation, bpm, quartz, etc) it's the fact that technics do not have these features which make them so reliable. I would highly reccomend purchasing technics over numark. Plus, numarks customer service is absolutely horrible.
Mr. $weetlife 2:03 PM - 28 June, 2008
I would take two techs with BENT TONEARMS before I would play brand new numarks straight out of the box!

Since they are numarks, there is a good chance neither would work straight out of the box! Trust me, I know!
wakka 12:19 AM - 29 June, 2008
Nightlife, SSL can read the pitch of each timecode record, this number is located near the bottom of each virtual deck. I find this reading a lot more accurate than pitch shown on the TTX display

Anywho, when in doubt, google:
Watchyoutube.com
Watchyoutube.com
Watchyoutube.com
Djak-47 5:38 PM - 16 August, 2014
I have both technics 1200mk2 and numark honesty the numark are built like tanks how can they be cheap when they are so heavy never had an issue with them in fact I find technics to be old technology and they skip more then numark. And you all talk about the cost well if technics crap out they can cost has much has to replace the parts has the hole unit costs to buy. For example the hole tonearm cost about $340. You can buy numark ttx for that figure it out no brainer
L2daGee 1:16 PM - 19 August, 2014
Technics if you want a dependable, easily repairable turntable that will last you for several decades.

Parts are still being manufactured by Technics and they are not expensive. A new tonearm is under $100 (not sure where DJak-47 got his $340 tone arm, but I've replaced several of them, and $100 is the most I would ever pay for that part. Since the Technics 1200/1210 have been around for decades, finding an affordable repair technician is easy.

Not to mention that Technics are the industry standard turntable. They are the official gear that is used in DMC competitions. 99% of clubs that provide the DJ gear will have Technics or Pioneer CDJs available. Might as well use what is standard.
Djak-47 5:25 PM - 19 August, 2014
Actually they will not be industry standard any more since Pioneer just released there new and improved technic clone. And dj henray customs is a good example of the complete tonearm assembled. Selling for $320 each. And that's just one example
DJ Remix Detroit 5:33 PM - 19 August, 2014
Ive been rocking my ttx's for over ten years now with no issues at all. They come internally grounded, straight arm / s arm optional, stronger motor and are built like tanks. And theres no maintenance with these, everything is digital, so theres no calibrating shot after so many years. They also have replaceable rca's. So if you snag them or they break, just swap them out on the spot.
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:56 PM - 19 August, 2014
Technics will always be the industry standard turntable even though there discontuined I reckon, there have been enough of them made over their 28 years of manafacturing that there will always be a pair available if you want them, its what every turntable in the future will be compared too, and as with the dj culture most people grab a setup give up and sell the gear so the cycle will go on and technics will always be in circulation, it would take pioneer at least 10 years of amazing sales to even come close to toppling the Technics SL1210 as the king of the turntables and I cant see that happening in the digital age unless they came out with a hybrid turbtable that incorporated analog and digital something like the Numark CDX but with a tonearm on it to play vinyl as thats where the market is going, for them just to release a basic turntable in this age without any midi or digital interface is ridiculous
Djak-47 5:57 PM - 19 August, 2014
I totally agree dj remix it pretty much time for the old technic to be retired old technology.
They mite have started it all. But it's time to move forward with the future of djing.
DJ Remix Detroit 6:01 PM - 19 August, 2014
Quote:
Technics will always be the industry standard turntable even though there discontuined I reckon, there have been enough of them made over their 28 years of manafacturing that there will always be a pair available if you want them, its what every turntable in the future will be compared too, and as with the dj culture most people grab a setup give up and sell the gear so the cycle will go on and technics will always be in circulation, it would take pioneer at least 10 years of amazing sales to even come close to toppling the Technics SL1210 as the king of the turntables and I cant see that happening in the digital age unless they came out with a hybrid turbtable that incorporated analog and digital something like the Numark CDX but with a tonearm on it to play vinyl as thats where the market is going, for them just to release a basic turntable in this age without any midi or digital interface is ridiculous

Numark actually came out with a hybrid table years ago.
www.numark.com

But im sure their reputation hindered the sales dramatically. The cdx was a great concept, but the failure rate was way too high, apparently they didnt feel the need to come out with a fix like they did the ttx.
DJ Remix Detroit 6:03 PM - 19 August, 2014
Quote:
I totally agree dj remix it pretty much time for the old technic to be retired old technology.
They mite have started it all. But it's time to move forward with the future of djing.

Yeah, most tech users are on that 1200 nostalgia kick. Which i dont knock anyone for, but to say they are the best tts out there is a plain old lie.
Djak-47 6:03 PM - 19 August, 2014
Has for dj sparks comments all I can say is the dj industry is moving forward not backwards. Just ask dj qbert the legendary turntablism master I am sure he will agree.
Djak-47 6:12 PM - 19 August, 2014
Would never knock the technics fans. It all come down to what works for you. Going back to sales on the part of Pioneer they have never had issues in that department. And pretty much
Hold club industry standard today. Like there cdj and djm mixers line.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 3:02 AM - 20 August, 2014
Quote:
Going back to sales on the part of Pioneer they have never had issues in that department.

you were saying...
www.4-traders.com
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:13 AM - 20 August, 2014
Thats their A/V department seperate from their dj department,
it's the dj devision that is carrying pioneer, but i still think the pioneer tt isnt the holy grail of tt's and i don't think they're going to do the numbers everyone thinks there going to do
Discobee 5:22 AM - 20 August, 2014
Quote:
Actually they will not be industry standard any more since Pioneer just released there new and improved technic clone. And dj henray customs is a good example of the complete tonearm assembled. Selling for $320 each. And that's just one example

This Pioneer turntables hasn't even hit the retail shelves yet and folks already discounting Technics....smh.
eugguy 7:42 PM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

This Pioneer turntables hasn't even hit the retail shelves yet and folks already discounting Technics....smh.

Pioneer is as much a standard for CDJ's as Technics are for turntables. Just because Pioneer decides to make a turntable (which hasn't even had any real time out on the field yet) doesn't automatically make it the standard. Ehh...do you recall? When Technics created a "CDJ"? SL-DZ1200? That went standard...umm...yeah right...Technics will ALWAYS be the standard in my view and in many other DJs' views, however, that should disregard the possibility that other competing products can still be used without an issue. When you think of CDJs you think of Pioneer. Just like when you think of a "dj turntable" you think Technics.
Niro 8:53 PM - 22 August, 2014
If you want new technology, then you should probably use a controller or CDJ, Turntables are turntables and people that mainly use them prefer it that way. No gimmicks, straight to the point and not too many hidden features. DVS has added some great advances, but it is still DJing on a turntable. I would compare it to a guitar, you still need to know how to play one to perform with one wether it's acoustic or electric.

The Pioneer turntable is a Super OEM model, will it over 20 years, who knows. 1200's are really easy to repair if you know or can easily learn basic soldering. Also I'm sure (as a few are already doing) companies will make replacements parts for it, since there are over 3 million units out.

The only way I believe someone will replace an actual the 1200 would be a straight 12" controller. Not a hybrid, but a straight simple controller (features similar to the RP8000) no tonearm just HID and possibly a USB slot for switching DJs (if your mixer doesn't allow it) or just to play off of. But the important thing would be that it uses a 12" record and the user would have control of the feel by using their own slip mat and being able to mix exactly like a real turntable (nipple pinch and all.) Hoping someone gets smart and releases something like that.
L2daGee 9:21 PM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:

The Pioneer turntable is a Super OEM model, will it over 20 years, who knows. 1200's are really easy to repair if you know or can easily learn basic soldering. Also I'm sure (as a few are already doing) companies will make replacements parts for it, since there are over 3 million units...

Panasonic/Matsushita still, to this day, manufacture replacement parts for Technics turntables.
Niro 9:46 PM - 22 August, 2014
^^^ I know, but there are companies that are also starting to make replacement parts for the 1200. :)