Serato DJ General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ software and controllers

anyone using there DDJ-SX with TRAKTOR ?

SH3PARD 10:27 AM - 10 December, 2012
Hey all if u have tried this or are using it on Traktor could you please tell me if its any good yet or what ur feelings on it were ?

Thanks
DJ Cs 3:50 PM - 10 December, 2012
Yes, Work really well and all features work on the Viper mapping.

Do a search for Viper DDJ-SX mapping.

You can't really scratch like you can on Serato, but it more than enough to cue and do baby cuts on it.

the latest mapping only works with ver 2.6.
gullum 2:16 PM - 11 December, 2012
the viper mapping is realy good I helped him map the loop roll to work in flux mode.
I've used DDJ SX for 4 nights now 5 hour each night with Traktor and had no problem what so ever.
What you don't get with Traktor on DDJ SX is scratching as good as in Serato DJ and no way to mapp the Slicer, Can't be done or I haven't figured a way in Traktor.
I'm still anilizing my songs for Serato DJ and playing with it at home. I like some parts of it but before some of the reported bugs and missing futures are added I'm using the DDJ SX with Traktor.
SH3PARD 2:21 PM - 11 December, 2012
GUllum could u Gide me through the mapping process so I can get it to work with Traktor .. IV had a good try with the info given on the mapping page that Viper gives but no luck so far.

Thanks
gullum 3:17 PM - 11 December, 2012
are you on Mac or pc?
First use the import putton at the button of the preferance page you might want to uncheck the Favorite option before pressing ok.
You must set the audio output to internal and master to out 1/2 and Headpones to 3/4
If you are running windows you'll need to go into the controlle manager tab and in devices dropdown go through all pioneer ddj sx in there and set the in port and put port to ddj sx and you should be good to go
SH3PARD 3:51 PM - 11 December, 2012
Im using PC I can get it as far as hearing sound when I use the mouse on the PC .. so I'm getting sound but no control over it.. the CTRL circle lights up when I touch my ddjsx..
SH3PARD 4:38 PM - 11 December, 2012
the key lock in the advanced settings on my DDJSX is iluminated
gullum 4:41 PM - 11 December, 2012
installed everything on my old way outdated Thoshiba

First set the DDJ SX to midi mode by holding Shift+play while tourning it on if the left keylock is not lith press it to get into midi mode. want to use it for Serato again then do the same again but turn of the keylock led.

Now in preferance Audio setup choose Pioneer DDJ_SX Asio
output Routing set to internal and phones to phones and master to master :D
input not needed to do anything with.

Now in Controller manager:
Device setup -- Devices there are 10 devices called PIO_something
Choose each one of them and set the in port and out port to Pioneer DDJ SX

hope it helps
SH3PARD 4:53 PM - 11 December, 2012
I READ YOU ..
SH3PARD 5:07 PM - 11 December, 2012
AAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!

SUCCESS :)

THANK YOU MY GOOD MAN ..NOW TO SEE... I HOPE SERATO ARE DOING THIS AT HEAD-OFFICE TO TO SEE WHAT IS WHAT ?
gullum 5:54 PM - 11 December, 2012
grate :D
I have the DDJ SX working with Serato DJ, Traktor Pro, Virtual DJ Pro, Djay and Mixvibes CrossDJ (almost, leds not working yet). So this is a truly grate controller :D
SH3PARD 6:04 PM - 11 December, 2012
No Gullum I think this is gr8 SERATO and TRAKTOR I could not have asked for more ... HUGE THANKS TO VIPER! !

I'm positive it only gets better from here .. and wait I just did the new firmware update that was just released now..

Good times ahead.
vestaxxer 1:09 PM - 12 December, 2012
Hi Gullum,
while running Traktor, i cannot use the Phono-Input-Switch on the DDj. Music keeps playing - but no Turntable. You know whhy?
gullum 1:35 PM - 12 December, 2012
it's because of the soundcard in DDJ SX it only has 2 outputs master and headphones. So traktor will send all channels to the master output and the faders only oparate as midi.
So everything coming from Traktor goes not trough the channel fader but master. What you can do is use chanels 1 and 4 but then you'll need a phone amp. that way you still get deck A/B running in Traktor and use 1/2 for turntables. But then you can be useing deck C/D in traktor. Serato DJ has a similar problem if using turntables as you can only use deck 3/4 in DJ while using external TT.
David Kettle 7:50 AM - 8 June, 2013
Alright Gullum, you seem to know your stuff when it comes to the DDJSX. Man I was hoping you might be able to gimme a bit of advice. I've got my DDJSX set up with traktor (Viper's V.6.2) made a few little mods to the mapping and its working pretty well. I've also got a set of Technics 1210s that i'm using with it however i want to be able to use them with time coded vinyl. After reading your reply to Vestaxxer i now realise that it wont be possible to do this using only the DDJSX's sound card as it only has two outputs. What would you recommend doing when it comes to getting these babies running through traktor using the controller? Thanks mate
BBD 8:20 AM - 8 June, 2013
I've got the viper map. but I can't seem.to get Traktor to read from the ddj sx. I read in the manual on how to change the settings on the sx but it is very poorly written. can someone please confirm how to make the required changes. Thanks
phatbob 9:13 AM - 8 June, 2013
Quote:
Alright Gullum, you seem to know your stuff when it comes to the DDJSX. Man I was hoping you might be able to gimme a bit of advice. I've got my DDJSX set up with traktor (Viper's V.6.2) made a few little mods to the mapping and its working pretty well. I've also got a set of Technics 1210s that i'm using with it however i want to be able to use them with time coded vinyl. After reading your reply to Vestaxxer i now realise that it wont be possible to do this using only the DDJSX's sound card as it only has two outputs. What would you recommend doing when it comes to getting these babies running through traktor using the controller? Thanks mate

You need the full Traktor Scratch, not Traktor Pro, for timecode functionality. In your case that means the SX will function only as the mixer, not the soundcard, and you'll need to buy either Traktor Scratch Duo (which comes with the Audio 6) or Traktor Scratch Pro (which comes with the Audio 10).

Quote:
I've got the viper map. but I can't seem.to get Traktor to read from the ddj sx. I read in the manual on how to change the settings on the sx but it is very poorly written. can someone please confirm how to make the required changes. Thanks

The manual is pretty clear on how to switch the midi mode; it's the section near the back of the manual.
phatbob 9:15 AM - 8 June, 2013
Actually, David Kettle, I should have been clearer there. If you want 4 decks, 2 timecode and 2 on the SX, you'll definitely need Traktor Scratch Pro, as the Audio 6 doesn't have 4 outputs.
gullum 11:44 AM - 8 June, 2013
to setup DDJ SX with Traktor there are a few things that need to be done and I've made a howto.picture. The step where you need to check if all midi ports are set right seam to be the one most miss and therefore it's not working

i34.photobucket.com

As phatbob is saying you need the Scratch pro and use SX in external mixing mode and connect the 4 stereo out from a Audio 10 to the 4 ins ont the DDJ SX.
But you can also use the 4 in's on the Audio 10 for any external source and switch any of Traktors decks to live input and add Traktor FX to the source.It's not a cheep solution as the Audio 10 is around $500, but you would get all that needed Scratch pro, soundcard, Vinyls and CD's all needed cables.
BBD 7:08 AM - 9 June, 2013
Cheers Gullum
DJ K.O 9:24 AM - 5 July, 2013
Gullum

i do it as u mention,but end up not function for my sx,cause i cannot song selection and and load that song in to deck.........is that window 8 problem????

"First set the DDJ SX to midi mode by holding Shift+play while tourning it on if the left keylock is not lith press it to get into midi mode. want to use it for Serato again then do the same again but turn of the keylock led.

Now in preferance Audio setup choose Pioneer DDJ_SX Asio
output Routing set to internal and phones to phones and master to master :D
input not needed to do anything with.

Now in Controller manager:
Device setup -- Devices there are 10 devices called PIO_something
Choose each one of them and set the in port and out port to Pioneer DDJ SX"
gullum 9:49 AM - 5 July, 2013
is it only browser knob that is not working and loading songs. Might be you haven't set all the PIO_ in device manager to Piomerr DDJ SX in out midi ports other then that I have no ide because I've never tried windows 8
DJ K.O 10:08 AM - 5 July, 2013
audio device and built in sound card,i set it to pionneer ddj-sx asio,
my status same like SH3PARD "I can get it as far as hearing sound when I use the mouse on the PC .. so I'm getting sound but i cannot control over it.. "
cause i do all the setting like i just now mention,but after ulitity mode"keylock" light up,should be can switch to other dj software but i make d,the problem is i cannot use that button to select song and cannot load it on deck...........
djmart1n1 2:01 PM - 21 August, 2013
I am using the Vipers's mapping (V6.2) for traktor, and i have a problem with the platters, i can not scratch it has some kind of daley or something. With Serato everything is ok. Anyone with the same problem ?
millso 8:46 PM - 7 September, 2013
Hi Gullum,
found ur map and basic instruction for how to get up and running really helpful, however when I got it working the headphone volume and cue functions were not working properly. I cant hit cue for 2 channels at the same time, when say for example channel 2 is playing through headphones and I press channel 3, for some reason channel 2 will stop playing through headphones. If I press cue 2 and 3 together both will play.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
thanks again for your help.
millso 8:47 PM - 7 September, 2013
also
The other thing is if no cue button is pressed and the volume is turned up on headphones monitor at the front of the controller (the knob that you can push in and out) there is still sound coming through the headphones.
cheers
gullum 4:47 AM - 8 September, 2013
only ting I can think of is you have out setting wrong. should be set to internal mixing. and master to Monitor to DDJ SX Phoneo L/R Master to master out L/R
the expand layout so you see the crossfader on screen.
Set mix to zero(all the way down) and headphone volume to full.

Not sure why the cue is not working
millso 1:32 PM - 8 September, 2013
cheers for ur response gullum, checked those settings and all appear to be fine.
not sure myself, may just have to get used to it.
Are there any other settings I should look at, I did the full screen so I can see xfader but not sure what u mean when u say:

"Set mix to zero(all the way down) and headphone volume to full."

could u explain that again.
thanks very much.
gullum 1:49 PM - 8 September, 2013
on the right side of the screen are 3 knobs Mix - Vol - AUX
Because you are mixing internally and the Master volume, Headphone volume and cue mix are not mapped. You need to set the Mix knob all the way down or it will send master volum true headphones.

Hope that explains it better
millso 8:13 PM - 8 September, 2013
yeah that has fixed it. Thanks very much. Really appreciate it.
Alex ajftl. 6:12 PM - 2 October, 2013
So it doesn't work with version 2.6.2?
gullum 7:53 AM - 3 October, 2013
I have Traktor 2.6.4 and I haven't made any changes to my mapper since I first made mine 1 Year ago and it still works the same
MANOSGR 4:14 PM - 3 October, 2013
Hello..Gullem i will need your help too...
I use DDJ-T1 with Traktor 2.6.4..I'm thinking to about DDJSX,but i did'n know if i can be work with TRAKTOR..SO as i have read in this forum it works..What i must do?I use MacBook..Can you help me?
gullum 6:30 PM - 3 October, 2013
follow instructions in this link i34.photobucket.com

If you follow those instructions everything should work
franenergy 4:34 PM - 28 October, 2013
Hi gullum, I have a question about the headphone cue, there is a way when I give the button "master cue" is heard the master, I mean taking totalmmente traktor knob to the right and pressing the button "cue master" controller act as "on / off" like a pioneer dj mixer. and another question, millso said: "I cant hit cue for 2 channels at the same time, say for example When channel 2 is playing through headphones and I press channel 3 channel 2 for some reason will stop playing through headphones. If I press cue 2 and 3 together Both will play ". It possible that when you pressed the two channel headphones cue the two selected to stay, why you remove one of the two? no way to map this? thank you!

And last another question because I do nothing but turn over in my head, how traktor there any way to record the mic on the computer? even taking a RCA booth output to an input aux input / mic to record internally in a program like soundforge or audacity? Thanks and sorry for taking away time with many questions :)

Sorry for writing, I am using a translator.
djmunster 7:59 PM - 17 November, 2013
Am I wrong to assume the cross fader dosent work because the setting is set to internal mixing
RikShaw 4:51 PM - 20 November, 2013
Hey guys, using Traktor 2.6 and DDJSX with viper mapping. After a couple of hours play the sound changes like it has hit the limiter? It sounds very compressed. The limiter is off, the on screen main is set to -7 and the master on the unit is in the middle. Any ideas?
superdee 10:28 PM - 29 December, 2013
Pioneer provided a free settings file for Traktor Pro 2 here: pioneerdj.com. I tried this out and it's okay. It's definitely worth the free download from Pioneer DJ website and giving it a try.

It does basic stuff for controlling Traktor Pro 2 but so far, I can't use the pads (except for a hot cue or two) or the effects. If I want to get a roll effect, I have to use the auto loop button on the DDJ-SX.

One thing that is cool: I can use the Traktor Kontrol F1 in tandem with the DDJ-SX and use the Remix Deck. Nice feature.
superdee 9:28 PM - 31 December, 2013
Correction: the Traktor Pro 2 effects do work. The pads for the roll, slicer and samples do not.
gullum 5:32 AM - 1 January, 2014
Quote:
Correction: the Traktor Pro 2 effects do work. The pads for the roll, slicer and samples do not.

Roll Slicer a mapped to FX and Sampler is mapped to remix decks might need to import the TSI file 2 times for it to load correctly. Pioneer says tractor does not have roll but if mapped to hold instead of direct Traktor does indeed have roll
vincent314 11:49 AM - 10 January, 2014
if i will shift from serato to traktor..does anyone can tell me if the issues on touchpads of ddj fx will fixed..because my 6th and 8th touchpads right side are not working..need some help..thanks a lot...
vincent314 11:50 AM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
if i will shift from serato to traktor..does anyone can tell me if the issues on touchpads of ddj sx will fixed..because my 6th and 8th touchpads right side are not working..need some help..thanks a lot...
BBD 5:39 PM - 10 January, 2014
Quote:
if i will shift from serato to traktor..does anyone can tell me if the issues on touchpads of ddj fx will fixed..because my 6th and 8th touchpads right side are not working..need some help..thanks a lot...

Highly unlikely as that sounds like an issue the the controller
vincent314 5:48 PM - 10 January, 2014
please give me some advice.....your help will be much appreciated..thanks
DJ Launch 6:21 PM - 10 January, 2014
vincent314 - this sounds like a problem with your controller (maybe it needs service) - or maybe delete the mapping and re-import the mapping.

I've been using Traktor with the SX for awhile now trouble free.
vincent314 6:29 PM - 10 January, 2014
kindly guided me how to do that..if that will be ok...thankfull for you guys..
BBD 6:32 PM - 10 January, 2014
.it sounds like your pads aren't working with Serato, so mapping isn't an issue as that applies to Traktor

Best bet is start a new thread in the pioneer forum.
superdee 4:12 AM - 23 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Roll Slicer a mapped to FX and Sampler is mapped to remix decks might need to import the TSI file 2 times for it to load correctly. Pioneer says tractor does not have roll but if mapped to hold instead of direct Traktor does indeed have roll

Yup. Thanks for letting me know. And Pioneer made this video too which I found helpful: Watchwww.youtube.com
hihereswaldo 3:42 AM - 23 February, 2014
So I've tried both the viper and the pioneer tsi but for some reason the headphone cue buttons won't work.. only the master cue which makes it impossible to beatmatch until the next track is already going through master out at comparable levels to the track before it. Any ideas?
superdee 5:46 AM - 23 February, 2014
No, sorry I don't. I have the same problem with the headphone cue buttons as well. Someone commented on the problem on the YouTube clip posted above, and Pioneer responded (about 2 weeks ago) and are apparently going to look into it. So hopefully there's a solution coming soon.
hihereswaldo 12:24 AM - 24 February, 2014
I read on another forum related to a different mapping that before you import the tsi to make sure both the key lock buttons are on. Not sure if that's the actual reason but they work now.
djmunster 8:30 PM - 24 February, 2014
I cant seem to set the Out puts right, cant get any sound from main vol, fix it then I lose headphone output
what is the proper audio configuration with the Pioneer tsi and a ddjsx
viper9711 4:37 PM - 25 February, 2014
No sound on Cue monitor ?

1.Check your output routing in Traktor preferences.
Output monitor must be DDJ-SX Phone L+R 

2. Check your Monitor Vol.+Mix Level-Knob left to the crossfader in Traktor interface

Greets
viper
Mitch3r 9:59 AM - 11 May, 2014
I can hereby confirm that the DDJ-SX works like a charm with Traktor Pro 2. :) Made the switch from Serato to Traktor yesterday and been playing for some hours without any problem.

Yes, the jogwheels work as they are intended, however I can see scratching would be a problem. With the kind of music I spin (Trance) not that much, but even backspins are very hard to do...

The only thing I'd like to see changed in the future are the play/pause and cue button. Would love to see them lit up like in Serato or like on the CDJ series.
DJ Klick 12:02 PM - 28 May, 2014
Hi all, I applied the mapping and no doubt it works like a charm but some reason I'm not able to record my mixes in Traktor, did anyone of you guys tried it? I tried mixing internally and externally but to no success.
John Fitzgerald 11:43 AM - 3 July, 2014
Might not be the smartest question, but do I've to buy the Traktor Pro 2 software? or does it get delivered with the SX, like Serato does?
DJ Klick 12:56 PM - 4 July, 2014
Quote:
Might not be the smartest question, but do I've to buy the Traktor Pro 2 software? or does it get delivered with the SX, like Serato does?

You need to buy Traktor Pro 2 software, it doesn't come with together with SX.
John Fitzgerald 7:04 AM - 7 July, 2014
DJ Klick,

Thx for your response. Too bad! Using the serato software and got some issues with the software that doesnt seem to solve! :(
Big Pops 10:42 AM - 7 July, 2014
You could also use MixVibes Cross with the DDJ SX, MixVibes is the company who make Pioneer RekordBox
John Fitzgerald 9:27 AM - 8 July, 2014
BigPops, thx for your suggestion. Going to optimize my mac and we will c how it goes with serato, but to have an alternative is always a good thing.

thx!
Raffy G 8:16 AM - 9 July, 2014
You know guys there is an official Pioneer mapping on their site for SX. Is there a big difference with viper's mapping?

Thanks
phatbob 12:31 PM - 9 July, 2014
Hey guys, I tested the SZ with both the Viper, and official Pioneer Traktor mappings, for DJ Techtools.

www.djtechtools.com

Spoiler: I really like the SZ with Serato DJ, but I can't recommend it for use with Traktor unless you like using really sucky jog-wheels.
Karl Y 1:15 PM - 9 July, 2014
The DDJ SZ is a great piece of gear, especially the jog wheels.
You should use it with great software too. Just saying :P

Thanks for the review phatbob. Nice work :)
John Fitzgerald 2:44 PM - 9 July, 2014
Hahahahaha...

Karl Y. Audio dropouts, Skipping tracks etc... Just saying :P.

Still using serato though, but....
phatbob 4:27 PM - 9 July, 2014
Quote:
The DDJ SZ is a great piece of gear, especially the jog wheels.
You should use it with great software too. Just saying :P

Thanks for the review phatbob. Nice work :)

Cheers Karl ;)

I'm actually rather into Traktor myself, in many ways.

But doing all these reviews for DJTT recently has confirmed my view that native software/hardware combinations are almost always the way to go.

As Traktor and Serato DJ are both solid, reliable programs, with a lot of great features, my general suggestion is that users choose their hardware and then use whichever platform it is designed for.