Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Split Cue is a must have

DJRICO777 6:04 AM - 8 November, 2012
Since Pioneer missed this BIG time on the hardware split cue functionality, like it's included with the NS6, Denon 6000, and everything else I can think of, etc..Can we get split cue functionality with the software? I believe that the lack of true split cue functionality is a deal breaker for those of us that mix in our headsets instead of having blaring monitors destroy our hearing.
fatdjsin 7:01 AM - 8 November, 2012
please please please this is so basic ... it's a must have where is my split on my ddj-sx

we don't always have a monitor ! .. or...it's crappy and headphones are better :)
DjMirage 10:56 AM - 8 November, 2012
+1
dj_eddie_gr 12:59 PM - 8 November, 2012
+1 Must Have
VJ Justin Allen 1:17 PM - 8 November, 2012
Still waiting on mine to arrive but...isn't this it?

Page 15

To monitor the effect sounds
When the [HEADPHONES MIXING] control is turned to the [CUE] side, the Serato DJ software’s effect sounds are not output in the sound of channels whose headphones [CUE] button is pressed. To monitor the Serato DJ software’s effect sounds, turn the [HEADPHONES MIXING] control to the [MASTER] side, turn on the [MASTER CUE] button and monitor the effect sound with the master output’s sound.

Or page 21 of manual
DjMirage 1:29 PM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:
Still waiting on mine to arrive but...isn't this it?

Page 15

To monitor the effect sounds
When the [HEADPHONES MIXING] control is turned to the [CUE] side, the Serato DJ software’s effect sounds are not output in the sound of channels whose headphones [CUE] button is pressed. To monitor the Serato DJ software’s effect sounds, turn the [HEADPHONES MIXING] control to the [MASTER] side, turn on the [MASTER CUE] button and monitor the effect sound with the master output’s sound.

Or page 21 of manual

Not quite. Split cue refers to the headphone configuration where left ear is the cue and right ear is the program. What you are referencing is the mix from cue to program / master. As it stands today, the cue is stereo so no left / right ear configuration.
VJ Justin Allen 1:39 PM - 8 November, 2012
I get split cue...Pioneer just has a weird way of doing it sometimes. Like I mentioned I don't have my unit yet so it's hard to read words and see if they will work. :)
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:54 PM - 8 November, 2012
but how can they ADD split cue? is there a way they can do this with software??? if so then i would like to +1 split cue in serato dj as the VCI-380 does not have split cue.
DJRICO777 5:20 PM - 8 November, 2012
I received the controller two days ago and that is the first thing that I noticed and there is no true split cue built in. Again, this is a BIG oversight from Pioneer as its something that many of us rely on to mix properly. I'm SUPER bombed out about this because as much as I like this unit I cannot use the DDJ SX to properly mix in my sets. From reading other threads this is not the first time it has been brought up and it's in the Pioneer forums and was missing in the DDJ S1 as well. Maybe they just don't care!
Chris Beckler 7:37 AM - 9 November, 2012
the software option in settings is greyed out I think, so will be something for a next release. correct me ifI'm wrong.
[O/][iii][O/] 10:28 AM - 9 November, 2012
Quote:
I received the controller two days ago and that is the first thing that I noticed and there is no true split cue built in. Again, this is a BIG oversight from Pioneer as its something that many of us rely on to mix properly. I'm SUPER bombed out about this because as much as I like this unit I cannot use the DDJ SX to properly mix in my sets. From reading other threads this is not the first time it has been brought up and it's in the Pioneer forums and was missing in the DDJ S1 as well. Maybe they just don't care!

"Many? Whoah! I'd be very, very careful using a word such as "many" around here DJRICO77. Not sure if you've seen the outrage around here or not when the word "many" has been used to accurately describe a large, but indefinite amount (as you just have). You're liable to make nik39 and a few other forum members' heads explode using a word like that. Just watching out for you, that's all. lol ;-)
DJRICO777 4:48 PM - 9 November, 2012
Thanks for the feedback, it's a forum so I speak for myself and anyone else that maintains the same position on this matter. If not, then they don't have to worry or bother with this issue. Thx.
[O/][iii][O/] 4:52 PM - 9 November, 2012
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, it's a forum so I speak for myself and anyone else that maintains the same position on this matter. If not, then they don't have to worry or bother with this issue. Thx.

Amen! Same here. For some whacky reason there are a few here who can't/won't understand this simple concept that most already know.
phatbob 6:06 PM - 9 November, 2012
Thing is, split cue is clearly wanted by a lot of people on here. But at the same time, to call it a 'must have' is maybe a little strong.

After all, the all-holy Rane seemed to sell plenty of TTM-57 mixers, with no split cue. As did Vestax with the PMC-05/06/07. As did Pioneer with the DJM-909.

It's hardly a 'standard' feature.
Chris Beckler 6:17 PM - 9 November, 2012
"many" won't need it. :)
DJRICO777 9:27 PM - 9 November, 2012
If that's the case I understand and perhaps is why I've continued to have a strong relationship with Denon products that maintain this feature that I use such as the Denon 1500, 1600, 1700, and 6000. The honest truth is that I really was looking forward to this unit (DDJ SX) and bought it and really think its a beast once again but find that true hardware split cuing is important and thought it was a standard with Pioneer. Not throwing rocks, just my perspective on this matter. All good and props to everyone that does not use split cuing ,we are all different at our game in our own ways. Cheers!
DJRICO777 6:52 PM - 10 November, 2012
Something else to quickly add, the split cue must be of some importance if the flagship Pioneer 900 Nexus has it built in.
nik39 1:53 PM - 11 November, 2012
Quote:

Wrong. This is a public forum. If make assumptions about how this and that feature is a MUST and that it needs to be changed, then obviously this will not only affect you but also me. So if I don't agree with your opinion,... He'll yeah, I will speak up ;) if you don't want to have an open discussion then you should not post in an open public forum.

In this particular case, if it's an optional feature, personally I don't mind (unless we don't end up with a million of configurable options).

Thanks iloioo for mentioning my name. Looks like I am causing you sleepless nights ;)
DJ GSOUND 4:32 PM - 29 January, 2013
i agree split is essential.
dizzyrocks2001 5:53 PM - 29 January, 2013
I have the Denon MC-2000 and use it with Serato DJ and there is a split cue option in the setup menu. I assumed this option would be there for other controllers... I guess not.
DJNitro12 7:50 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
I have the Denon MC-2000 and use it with Serato DJ and there is a split cue option in the setup menu. I assumed this option would be there for other controllers... I guess not.

Same here although I don't use it, it is there
WhattaMac 7:05 AM - 30 January, 2013
I have found that I personally use a different approach to cueing that makes split-cueing rather useless IMO:

Simply use traditional one headphone cup on technique, one ear exposed to output playing, use your mix cue/master and put cued track volume slightly higher than playing track and no problem. Even works with both headphone cups over the ears...

Split cue is something I never use nor have a need to. It's kinda like a "bad DJ habit" that people learn over the years, like touching the side of a moving technics 1200 platter (or grabbing center spindle) to make slight pitch adjustments... (Highly un-accurate and it makes me laugh when I see guys who have been playing as long as I have (20+ yrs) still do it...

To each their own tho...
dizzyrocks2001 9:56 AM - 30 January, 2013
Like fatdjsin said, I too only use split cue if I don't have monitor or the monitor sucks. For example, one club I spin at from time to time has a crappy monitor that crackles and cuts in and out and the DJ booth is far enough away from the dance floor that there is a bit of a delay so the split cue comes in handy. And to address what WhattaMac said; yes, blending the cue/master balance is one way of doing it but nothing beats a split cue when it comes to really being able to differentiate between 2 tracks. I've had many mixers over the years and a mixer not having split cue has never been a deal breaker, but it's a nice bonus when it does have it. By the way, I never got the holding the spindle thing either when using a turntable but to each his own. And I think touching the side of the platter is a totally viable way of adjusting pitch... turntables are meant to be groped and handled! If a DJ mixes with elbows but his blending is tight then so be it... it's not a "bad habit", it's a preference. Touching the vinyl directly was once considered a bad habit, but if not for that bad habit then scratching never would have been invented.
DJ-SNS13 4:11 AM - 25 April, 2013
Sorry but this is a Failure.... i need "Split Cue" !

+1 Must Have

SERATO - seriously - is it possible in the next update ?
DJ GSOUND 4:04 PM - 6 May, 2013
+100
Arseylayer 8:37 PM - 23 May, 2013
I too feel it's a must.

I can't imagine why they'd leave it out. Seems like a simple feature to add, but a huge dealbreaker for many. I'm glad i found out about this before paying for one of these controllers. At home I don't want to play a monitor loud. And mixing with a soft monitor sucks. Split Cue i can hear everything, lay down razor sharp mixes and all in the headphones.

Boooo

I'd also say that it's Pioneer who should put it in the hardware, not Serato into the software.... Just my opinion.
Dj Pea 3:55 PM - 3 June, 2013
I think you guys are over reacting. All the top DJ's out there aren't using split cue. Heck, even DJ Pauly D doesn't use a split cue.. maybe you can learn a thing or two from his style.
Patrick Dee 4:53 PM - 3 June, 2013
+1

I would like to have the feature.

There are sometimes situation where are bad monitors in the booth or at home.
Deejae Smooth 5:13 PM - 3 June, 2013
+1
phatbob 6:16 PM - 3 June, 2013
Curious as to why anyone who feels Split Cue is a 'must have' feature, would buy hardware which doesn't have that feature...

Seems like a weird buying decision to me.
Deejae Smooth 6:42 PM - 3 June, 2013
pros outweigh the cons...in the case of the DDJ-SX, by a wide margin
Mark Quest 4:26 AM - 6 June, 2013
Quote:
Curious as to why anyone who feels Split Cue is a 'must have' feature, would buy hardware which doesn't have that feature...

BANG!

Hit the nail on the head

they're basically admitting they did bugger all product research before throwing their cash at something lol
spoof 10:49 AM - 30 August, 2013
agree, v3.0 should have this sorted by now, SERATO please listen to the Djs here on the forums. split cue on the ddjsx would be much appreciated as would a lot of the other requests for things like using the roll without the track continuing (no slip in otherwords)

not even downloaded v3.0 as it would seem a lot of people have problems with it. we dont really need a thousand effects. just need it to work correctly with a few tweeks to help us make a good night a great one.
Thanks
spoof 10:51 AM - 30 August, 2013
Quote:
agree, v3.0 should have this sorted by now, SERATO please listen to the Djs here on the forums. split cue on the ddjsx would be much appreciated as would a lot of the other requests for things like using the roll without the track continuing (no slip in otherwords)

not even downloaded v3.0 as it would seem a lot of people have problems with it. we dont really need a thousand effects. just need it to work correctly with a few tweeks to help us make a good night a great one.
Thanks

oops i mean v1.3
Bexorcist 1:29 PM - 11 December, 2013
So, any chance this being softcoded in a future release? I really like my SX but I'm thinking of returning it if this lack doesn't get adressed :'(
gfs851 3:41 PM - 17 January, 2014
I truly hope that between Pioneer and Rane this could be activated. I choose the term activated because it is greyed out in the hardware section of Serato DJ
BusyBee Outcast 6:18 PM - 19 January, 2014
Hey guys, got the Pioneer DDJ-SB last monday, played 2 gigs this weekend and neither had a monitor, struggled with the master/cue mix that's default on the unit, please enable the split cue function in the software for this unit, hopefully in the next release pls & thx. Other than that the unit & software compatibility is awesome.

Regards,
Ben
Bexorcist 12:39 PM - 20 January, 2014
Come on, fix this asap :(
BusyBee Outcast 5:50 PM - 20 January, 2014
Yeah def, after djing for 20 years the hearing kinda goes bad lol, split cue is great for me especially when there is no monitor or a crappy monitor available, traditionally I've stuck to Denon mixers, but the price and features is what drew me to the DDJ-SB, and I do use that controler professionally, has everything I need in one easy to move package, split cue is the only thing missing but I've learned to play with cue/master hodge podge that is available, others have mentioned about other Celebrity DJ'S that dont use it... that's great for them lol, but chances are they have a huge monitor in their ear and they don't have to travel with their own gear most of the time.

Regards,
Ben
Bexorcist 10:59 AM - 21 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Hit the nail on the head

they're basically admitting they did bugger all product research before throwing their cash at something lol

Well, after having used almost every single Pioneer on the market, I presumed something as ordinary as split cue would be available. I really did A LOT of research (as usual) but didn't notice the lack of this (for me at least) essential feature, which can be very easily softcoded into the program.
boabmatic 12:19 PM - 21 January, 2014
I don't see the big deal in split cue?

I used to mix in the headphones on a 57 with no probs without it but when I got the 62 which had split cue I thought I better try it out as everyone raves about it but actually found it harder to mix in the headphones with it enabled and never used it since?
Bexorcist 8:06 AM - 22 January, 2014
Quote:

I used to mix in the headphones on a 57 with no probs without it but when I got the 62 which had split cue I thought I better try it out as everyone raves about it but actually found it harder to mix in the headphones with it enabled and never used it since?

Do you have some kind of malfunctioning ear, mate?
Bexorcist 8:53 AM - 22 January, 2014
Great! I have a gutfeeling that, since they announced the new flagship DDJ-ZW controller today, we can whistle our beloved split cue feature goodbye :'(
boabmatic 9:54 AM - 22 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

maybe :)
just couldn't get accustomed to the sound being different in each ear , plus when cueing on the 62 I leave the cue/mix in the middle and just toggle on/off the cue button for the channel to switch between cueing and master, when I do that with split cue enabled the master only comes out one ear when I toggle off the cue.
Bexorcist 9:57 AM - 22 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mmmz, never tried that method. Fully accustomed to splitcuing though. Gonna try your method tonight. Splitcue is just darn handy when you're a very mobile DJ and the gig you're performing doesn't have a decent monitor around :(

maybe :)

just couldn't get accustomed to the sound being different in each ear , plus when cueing on the 62 I leave the cue/mix in the middle and just toggle on/off the cue button for the channel to switch between cueing and master, when I do that with split cue enabled the master only comes out one ear when I toggle off the cue.
in 3:01 AM - 4 April, 2014
I'll bump here and say I'm in the market for a new controller. I would pull the trigger and buy a DDJ-SZ *RIGHT NOW* except for the fact there's no split cue. Since there isn't, it's a deal-breaker and I will be looking for something else. That's a shame as far as I'm concerned because otherwise it looks like a very nice piece of hardware.

For everyone who can't understand why you'd want split cue let me explain... Mixing with split cue is the same as mixing with a headphone on one ear and a booth monitor playing the master out, except you can do it with both headphones on *at a much lower volume*.

This gets more and more important once you develop a bit of tinnitus (and trust me, if you mix long enough you will) and it's also quite handy if you want to practice your mixes with no monitor, for example when other people in the house are sleeping.

Sigh.
westbeach 9:40 PM - 18 September, 2014
+1
DJC.Peoria 12:53 AM - 9 January, 2015
Why is this not added yet? There's been many revisions to SDJ since this feature was asked for, and it's in the software, just greyed-out. How many years do people need to ask for something before you make the option active?
spoof 7:34 AM - 9 January, 2015
Again +1
Tokaji 5:41 AM - 12 January, 2015
Split Cue works fine on the Numark NV and Serato DJ even shows the levels in a yellow bar when you fade... So I personally think it is not a matter of the software, it´s more a matter of the hardware you buy...
Mike Butler 8:37 AM - 12 January, 2015
I don't think the SZ can physically do this as it doesn't have a dedicated phones channel. It has a "sample out" but you can't send that to the headphones.

It could be done if you wanted to dedicate a deck for monitoring and Serato added code to send a split mix to that deck. Not impossible, and might be a nice option for four channel controllers that don't have a dedicated headphone channel.

Mike
dizzyrocks2001 4:30 PM - 12 January, 2015
Quote:
I don't think the SZ can physically do this as it doesn't have a dedicated phones channel. It has a "sample out" but you can't send that to the headphones.

It could be done if you wanted to dedicate a deck for monitoring and Serato added code to send a split mix to that deck. Not impossible, and might be a nice option for four channel controllers that don't have a dedicated headphone channel.

Mike

What do you mean the SZ doesn't have a dedicated headphone channel? - no mixer has a dedicated "mixer" channel for the headphone out. The headphone out on the SZ has a separate section with knobs for setting the headphone output level and cue/master mix like every other mixer out there. What the SZ is missing to make split cue possible is a switch on the hardware to toggle between regular cue and split cue. If anything the solution would be to have a split cue option that could be toggled within the software, but even then I think split cue functionality may be dependant on how the headphone out is physically wired.
Mike Butler 4:46 PM - 12 January, 2015
I meant a dedicated feed from the USB audio interface to the phones channel which the SZ is missing.

NI mixers do have a channel that goes directly to the phones, that's how they do their cue and listen to tracks while browsing.

But overall we agree - the SZ doesn't have the hardware to do split cue without help from the software and to do that one of the deck channels would have to be sacrificed.

Seems there's always one little thing designers miss that seems blindingly obvious to all the people who use stuff day-to-day!!!

Mike
Rasta Four-Eyes 11:32 PM - 9 June, 2015
BIG +1
skinnyguy 1:18 AM - 10 November, 2015
+1

why even have an option if it's grayed out?
spoof 8:20 AM - 10 November, 2015
Plus one again. Please just have a go on one of the updates
Lombana 7:14 PM - 26 June, 2016
+ 1,000,000 I have been in the business since the mid-80's when Rane came out with the MP24 I rejoiced, no longer did I have to have a huge monitor in my booth next to my ear and go home each night unable to hear the waitress at Denny's at 4am.

Over the years I showed other jocks (who thanked me) how to use the split-cue on the MP24 and how it improved their mixing, no longer were they hunting for a kick in a reverb filled room, their mixing got better and this is before SYNC and digital dj'ing.

I have a DDJ-SX and and SZ and my next setup will be CDJ's but I won't be looking at Pioneer for the mixer unless they can jump on this bandwagon, Rane and A&H are my primary mixer platforms that I'm looking at right now so I'm just one person but that's 2-thousand dollars of my money that Pioneer will not see, I'm sure that a financial impact might be a good reason for Pioneer wanting to do this.

But then I'm just 1 DJ and nobody in the grand scheme, unless others join in ...
suntechnician 9:55 PM - 16 April, 2018
I did come up with a hardware fix by using a headphone amp, I use the main out into the left channel and cue output into the right channel. This is a work around with hardware but I like everyone else here would like a software fix for this feature.
vjandrea 5:56 PM - 24 April, 2018
+1 please implement it
phillabust 5:28 AM - 25 May, 2018
Quote:
I did come up with a hardware fix by using a headphone amp, I use the main out into the left channel and cue output into the right channel. This is a work around with hardware but I like everyone else here would like a software fix for this feature.

Ooh, interesting! I'll have to do some digging. hopefully there's something out there that won't need to plug into a wall!

still +1, this should be a software feature, not hardware dependent. (well, i guess the hardware needs a headphone jack for cue out, but what controller doesn't have that?)
DJ Socrateez 10:47 PM - 1 December, 2018
+1
DJ Ed Wong 2:45 AM - 17 December, 2018
The new PLAY. Plug in for Serato Pro does have split cue built in

Since (in my case) using the PLAY mode on a laptop means that I am using the laptop headphone to listen, split cue works as it’s supposed to
— one ear is the cue
— one ear is the main mix

Off Hyde cuff, you cant put both decks in cue at once?

I use an Akai AMX
I don’t recall if that hardware had a split cue

The reason I don’t know, is that I am (these days) physically unable to use a split cue; my right ear basically does not work.

To deal with this, I am planning to use a “headphone monitor” box.
I happen to have a Whirlwind PA-1
But I think Berlhinger makes a similar (smaller and cheaper) device.

A headphone box has a left and right input and s mixer to mix left or right into one or both ears.... so I can control the mix on the left to my satisfaction; and reduce laptop battery usage (by using the headphone amp battery....
riotboi 3:32 PM - 26 April, 2019
I am guessing that since this discussion started nearly 7 years ago with no resolution that due to hardware restraints with the DDJ SX it isn't capable of a software split cue feature. I just wish I could find proof somewhere or a Serato engineer would just confirm it so I could give up looking lol.
westbeach 9:06 PM - 26 December, 2019
use 1 jack from booth out, 1 jack from headphone out into a female stereo jack, plug your headphones into this and you have split cue