DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Tutorial: How to DJ with The Bridge

Razy 6:09 PM - 17 March, 2012
Hello folks, here is the tutorial like I promised.
Everything starts from ground zero so you can be sure that even the beginners can follow me and understand what I am doing.
It is all well explained in a PDF-Document which is about 28 pages long.
I am still working on it, if you find mistakes I'd like to know and correct them.
This tutorial is just about 50% of everything I know and my knowledge is still growing up every day.
Thats the reason why I called it Version 1.0

Check me out for updates and of course I will show every "new feature" in a own video.

I am also workin on other ways like using Ableton for a good Mixtape production without a TTM57SL/61/61.
Maybe without MIDI-Faders.

Everything new will be posted in this Thread by myself.

But enough smalltalk.
The tutorial is about 2 different ways for now.

I will explain these different themes:

+ System requirements
+ Activate The Bridge
+ MIDI-Controller
+ MIDI-Mapping
+ How to DJ with The Bridge
+ Ableton Live – Instruments & VST(i) Plugins
+ How to DJ with The Bridge 2.0

and many many more.
I made a video for every The Bridge chapter.

check everything out here:

Tutorial download:
www.dj-razy.com

Showcase with The Bridge:
Watchvimeo.com

Showcase with The Bridge 2.0:
Watchvimeo.com

Other The Bridge videos.
Watchvimeo.com
Watchvimeo.com

If you have questions feel free to contact me at:
info@dj-razy.com
www.vimeo.com
www.facebook.com

... and of course here in the forum!

Stay tuned!
nik39 7:47 PM - 17 March, 2012
Good work!
REDSELECTER 9:11 PM - 17 March, 2012
without having even watched this yet, I'm gonna say that Serato, Rane and Ableton should send this gent an SL4, Sixty Two and Live 8 Suite Boxed

:)
diskrate 4:50 PM - 18 March, 2012
+1

wow great stuff, many thanks Razy !!
phatbob 8:19 PM - 18 March, 2012
You've put a ridiculous amount of effort into that Razy. Well done. BIG respect.
DJ Tapout 8:45 PM - 18 March, 2012
Quote:
You've put a ridiculous amount of effort into that Razy. Well done. BIG respect.

+1
Dj Nyce 2:06 AM - 19 March, 2012
dope stuff Razy. making me take another look at the bridge.
Kepik 6:20 AM - 19 March, 2012
Wow, you put in a lot of effort in making this PDF. Serato should definitely reward you with your efforts in promoting the Bridge! This helps folks be exposed and de-mystified in how to start using the Bridge.
pressurebelfast 12:02 PM - 19 March, 2012
nicce one man
Razy 1:49 PM - 19 March, 2012
Thanks for your good review.
I made a channel on vimeo for us The Bridge User.
Everyone can share his videos.

Hope to see what you have learned there :)

vimeo.com
WarpNote 7:12 AM - 22 March, 2012
Thanks for your efforts Ralph, will be diving into your pdf!
DJ L-gee 6:31 AM - 24 March, 2012
Thank you for the pdf file. Excellent work, this will help me greatly in the use of bridge.
Just asking ...

For sync and serato bridge Is there not an auto?

Thank you.
Razy 3:41 PM - 24 March, 2012
No, there is no auto sync.
Dj Scarface 5:25 PM - 25 March, 2012
nice!!
OpenOptics 9:13 AM - 29 March, 2012
First off, thanks for taking the time to put this together for all of us. Well done.

Here's my issue: I'm trying to setup The Bridge 2.0 with a TTM57. I've got it all setup how you describe with my second soundcard and am able to route everything correctly. When I hit flex fx, it definitely is passing audio through and I can see signal in Live and the Live display within SSL. However, I'm not able to hear the signal at all, no matter how I route or sync it in SSL. The only way that I can get The Bridge to work and hear Live's output is if I reselect Serato as the audio driver in Live. What am I doing wrong?

A separate issue that I'm having is latency when using Maschine with Live. How do u rock Maschine without latency for live sets?

Once I figure these issues out, I'm set. I really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.
nik39 10:17 AM - 29 March, 2012
Quote:
Here's my issue: I'm trying to setup The Bridge 2.0 with a TTM57. I've got it all setup how you describe with my second soundcard and am able to route everything correctly. When I hit flex fx, it definitely is passing audio through and I can see signal in Live and the Live display within SSL. However, I'm not able to hear the signal at all, no matter how I route or sync it in SSL. The only way that I can get The Bridge to work and hear Live's output is if I reselect Serato as the audio driver in Live. What am I doing wrong?

If you are not using the Serato Audio Driver in AL, then which audio driver are you using?
diskrate 10:50 AM - 29 March, 2012
^the second audio interface needs to be selected in AL

OpenOptics, did you route the output of your second interface to your flexfx returns on the TTM57SL? also, did you check the correct monitoring settings in AL / on the selected channel you want to record?
Razy 7:07 PM - 29 March, 2012
@OpenOptics:

Guess I wrote to you on vimeo few moments ago, but you already got the tutorial.
Sorry, my bad.

Maschine is kind of different. You need a strong computer/mac to use these programms. You need Scratch Live, Ableton Live AND Maschine Software.
The crux is: Maschine AND Ableton Live needs lot of CPU power. Its an old discussed theme in the Ableton Live forum.
On my MacBook Pro i got CPU issues about 30 % (without using Scratch Live).
On my Windows Desktop PC I gout CPU issues about 30-50% (without other plugins/Instruments)

I'd prefer a MacBook for that.

Your FlexFX problems sounds like you have some mistakes in your settings. I tryed this with a TTM57SL and it worked. Just give it another try.

If you cant fix your problems let me know again.

Regards,
Ralf
Razy 7:21 PM - 29 March, 2012
I recommend:
+ 8GB RAM or more
+ Dual-Core or Quad Core (i5 or i7)
+ Disable every (!) other programms
+ Disble W-lan, Blutooth

Note: dont use hundred of effects, audio channels and instruments.
Less is more :)
saga2628 2:28 PM - 30 March, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to put this together. It's very appreciated.
DJ TooHypE 9:53 PM - 1 April, 2012
Quote:

Quote:
Wow, you put in a lot of effort in making this PDF. Serato should definitely reward you with your efforts in promoting the Bridge! This helps folks be exposed and de-mystified in how to start using the Bridge.

I have agree Downloaded PDF, and just liked your Video totally inspires me too keep on continuing on wit my trial & error in setting up a nice ALS project like what you did!! Wicked set!! no doubt!! Big Respect!! and just followed/subscribed your pages....
DJ TooHypE 10:04 PM - 1 April, 2012
Quote:
I recommend:
+ 8GB RAM or more
+ Dual-Core or Quad Core (i5 or i7)
+ Disable every (!) other programms
+ Disble W-lan, Blutooth

Note: dont use hundred of effects, audio channels and instruments.
Less is more :)

Good too know Serato & Ableton has a high processor usage when using (The Bridge) wanted too also add not sure if it's ok too add html links?? just wanted too suggest either of these 2 softwares for temporary disabling Windows Services & programs.

www.toolwiz.com or www.iobit.com

Both are good you just have too choose which Gui & options fit your needs.
Frank Spinatra 12:21 AM - 3 April, 2012
Could I set this up using Twitch as my 2nd Audio Interface with my TTM57?
phatbob 12:48 AM - 3 April, 2012
Yeah when Itch is closed you can assign the sound card in Ableton to the Twitch.
Frank Spinatra 1:01 AM - 3 April, 2012
Yes, that's good advice phatbob. I've been tinkering around with the Live Twitch Translator. But I was just curious about how twitch would function with the bridge being connected through the FlexFX on the TTM57. I'll just pick up some cables and find out. Now I'm regretting I sold them attached to my old EFX-500. ha
Trinicapone 2:08 AM - 3 April, 2012
Yo big up! The shit look official...... Look like you looking for a job
Trinicapone 5:08 AM - 3 April, 2012
Ok I have a problem. I have my Rane 62 send/return going thru a m-audio fast trax pro like so
www.flickr.com and then so
www.flickr.com the result was
www.flickr.com sorry for the crappy video but to make a long story short I ran it just like you explained in your tutorial and when I tried to get a live loop I would have to go back into the sera to driver to hear it. Am I doing this wrong or do I need another cord to do this?
Razy 3:32 PM - 9 April, 2012
Update:
Just programmed at least one other way to record amazing mixtapes in Ableton, without MIDI Fader. I recorded a new Mixtape with it and it works great !!

There are 3 ways:
- The Bridge Mixtape (TTM57SL) - standart mode
- The Bridge Mixtape with 3rd Party MIDI Mixer (DJM 700/800/etc)
- Mixtape recording "do-it-yourself" without MIDI Fader (TTM56S/etc) (Ableton + Serato)

I have also other cool and new ideas for the tuotial.

I'll update it soon.
Code:E 9:43 PM - 9 April, 2012
Quote:
Mixtape recording "do-it-yourself" without MIDI Fader (TTM56S/etc) (Ableton + Serato)

which works great... cause you can go and redo your mix as many times as you like with a MIDI mixer until its perfect.
asthmatic 12:49 AM - 10 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

+1

+1
S.O.i 7:18 PM - 15 May, 2012
hey guys i was trying to use razys pdf as guide to set up my bridge set up... but for my second interface i was using a native instruments audio 8.... my set consist of 2 technics a ttm57 and a apc20 + the audio8... ive been trying to figure out what im doing wrong but its giving me a headache... i can get audio out of AL and into serato but i cant get it to record live loops From serato to AL... also in Razy's bridge screen in serato i notice he has a AUX button next to left and right and i dont seem to have that button. Thanks in advance
Razy 6:09 PM - 16 May, 2012
I didnt use the Aux Input for The Bridge 2.0
Just the Flex FX send / return and then route your Audio 8 through Ableton Live. Give it a new try, I'm sure it will work :)

Flex FX send (Scratch Live Deck 1 or 2 or both) ---> Audio 8 Input (Ableton Live Input) ---> Audio 8 Output (Ableton Live Output) ---> Flex FX return (Mixer Return, you have your audio in the Mixer now, not again in Scratch Live!
Razy 6:11 PM - 16 May, 2012
You get the Aux Button Only with an SL 3/4 or the new Rane Mixers (I think).
runningoutofspace 4:12 PM - 19 June, 2012
Without having seen the video (at work) I have to say that it'd be nice to see this video get put up on the main site under the Bridge's information pages.

I wish that I had found this video before I returned my unopened SL4 pack about month ago. I'm still interested but remind you Bridge users out there that there's not enough examples on this site or videos in Youtube that can help others take a fresh look at what the Bridge can do.

It needs to be re-promoted once more.

BTW, better do it while the bugs in Traktor Pro 2.5 are killing the buzz over their new but problematic initial release version that has the Remix decks.
djjerzy 9:14 AM - 18 July, 2012
im loving your pdf RAZY but i have a question about the bridge 2.0 as you call it. I have aTTM57SL and a focusrite 2i2 audio interface... in your pdf its shows you usinf the wet dry for the volume contol coming our of ableton and the flex efx switches to choose the routing of the sound, but the ttm57 doesnt have the wet dry fader..excuse me if this sounds alil noobish as i havent had the ttm57 for that long after havin a 56.. thank mate for the all the hard work you put in
DJ_Gonzo 5:14 AM - 11 August, 2012
Razy, thanks for your great efforts in sharing your work with us.

I'm a novice at The Bridge and Mix Tape and hope that your tutorials will help. Going to dive into them this weekend.

Thanks again!
DJ_Simple 10:13 AM - 4 September, 2012
Yo, that PDF is like the holy grail for bridge users!! Anyone that has doubts about the bridge needs to check this out. This is going to cause me to buy a lot more stuff than I already have but it's all things I've been wanting to get anyway like a midi-controller for ableton. I can't wait to get this set up so I can try it out! Props to Razy for putting all that work into this and sharing this amazing info! Many thanks!
Leo Mann 6:23 PM - 5 October, 2012
I bought ableton live about a year ago just to use the bridge and mixtape functions and found out it was too much for me to comprehend. Your videos gave me the courage to get into ableton again. Thanks for your hard work Razy! Much respect!
Mode' 12:12 AM - 18 October, 2012
Great job on the pdf Brother...You would think that the brains at either Serato or Ableton would have been smart enough to put together a comprehensive knowledge based learning application for those of us willing to broaden our horizons...Instead of talking about when there is going to be a sync button in Scratch Live...Again very well done...Big Ups...
SCRABEATS 1:48 PM - 24 October, 2012
Wow, this is great info. Thanks for the video's and the pdf. You should be the official "Bridge" spokesman.
monchi 5:37 AM - 16 November, 2012
Can the Bridge be used with th 62 or only the 57? thanks
monchi 6:27 AM - 16 November, 2012
Nevermind reading the PDF now, thanks Razy!
monchi 9:49 AM - 16 November, 2012
I also have a mackbook with 2 usb and 1 firewire. I use an external for my music/videos that I plug to my firewire. What do you use Razy to hook up all your controllers?Thanks
monchi 9:41 PM - 18 November, 2012
So the only difference between The Bridge and Bridge 2.0 is that for Bridge 2.0,you have to use an audio interface instead of Rane audio ?
phatbob 10:07 PM - 18 November, 2012
Yes, but in doing so you open up a lot more possibilities for routing and interesting stuff, as Razy explains in his PDF.
monchi 1:51 AM - 19 November, 2012
So, in my case I have a 62, I could go with the audiofire 4 soundcard , since I think the audiofire 2 is now discontinued?
monchi 2:18 AM - 19 November, 2012
Well since he doesn't post here, do you know what type of usb hubs he uses.I have 15" Macbook Pro , use the firewire for my external and have two available usbs for equipment.
He said he uses the firewire for his audiofire,but that wouldn't be an option for me.
I recently bought all the same MIDI equipment he has, but I bought the Kontrol X1 while he has the Vestax VFX-1. I plan on using all my Midi like he does.Thanks phatbob
phatbob 7:42 AM - 19 November, 2012
Any mains powered USB hub should work fine. I'd suggest you go for a name brand though, myself and others on the forum have had good success with Belkin.
monchi 5:30 AM - 20 November, 2012
Thanks phatbob just ordered the 7 port hub.
So, in my case I have a 62, I could go with the audiofire 4 soundcard , since I think the audiofire 2 is now discontinued?
monchi 5:49 AM - 20 November, 2012
Well since Razy facebook is not active, my Macbook has only one firewire that I use for my external HD. Most of the good audio interface use a firewire connection. Is there a work around for this issue? Thanks
DJ_Simple 7:46 AM - 20 November, 2012
Yo Monchi, I found a used Echo Audiofire 2 on eBay for cheap. You can go that route instead of putting out the extra dough for the audiofire 4. I'm about to jump into the bridge 2.0 FINALLY!! I've been messing with the bridge and my ttm57 but it's very limited. this has given me a little hope that serato and ableton might be useful but I'm still close to jumping ship and getting on board with the Traktor gear especially since they came out with the K2 that is pretty much the Traktor version of a 57.....but I've had serato for probably 7 yrs and I really like it. so it would be a shame to have to leave serato just because they are not keeping up with the jones's.....ya know
DJ_Simple 9:18 AM - 20 November, 2012
Ok, let me take back what I said and re-state my position. I'm still on board with Serato after pluggin in the second interface and toying around for a little bit. The potential for the bridge to keep on par with where Traktor is at, is definitely there. People keep complaining about the SP-6 not being synced with the mix but that is nothing once you get things crackin on the bridge with the second interface!!! You can put samples into ableton and they will sync up to the mix as long as your tracks are gridded correctly. (and ableton offers way more clip banks than the SP-6!!) The only draw back I see so far is the ability to manipulate live recordings and loops or tracks from ableton with the turntables. Even with the second interface, I don't see that being a possibility. So Traktor still may have one up on serato there. But I still have a lot of exploring to do.
Dj Nyce 5:40 PM - 20 November, 2012
ableton can be very powerful, but the bridge implementation is just blah.

traktor's remix decks are just so easy to use.
Trinicapone 7:44 PM - 20 November, 2012
Quote:

My boy has Traktor and he let me use it messing around with it yesterday and here's what I learned.
1. Traktor you can beat grid/warp or whateva you wanna call it anywhere on the track. Then you can take that same track loop it put it in the remix deck the works from the same screen where in bridge you have to go warp the track from there basically work in ableton then go back to Serato.
2. Same screen you can run you effects separately in the remix deck from the global.
3. Yes everything is in sync.

Traktor knows how to market this shit. Took everything what bridge don't do and multiplied it by 100. Not giving up on bridge but Traktor is giving bridge a run for the money. Fells like apple vs Microsoft all over again
monchi 6:50 AM - 21 November, 2012
DJ simple thanks for the heads up, but probably getting the Audio 4.
Trinicapone do not think out loud you might convince me to get Waktor!
Trinicapone 12:18 PM - 21 November, 2012
Quote:
DJ simple thanks for the heads up, but probably getting the Audio 4.
Trinicapone do not think out loud you might convince me to get Waktor!

Imagine what I'm going thru. But sad to say I get heavily tipped for the x-mas holiday....... Need I say more
Frank Spinatra 12:22 AM - 24 November, 2012
Sorry for slightly off topic, but related to the bridge.

I saw other threads where people asked where to find the missing "Transport Control" file, but never found an answer. I'm having the same problem now.

Any help? (I did look around before asking)
Thanks,
Dj Nyce 6:10 AM - 24 November, 2012
Quote:
Sorry for slightly off topic, but related to the bridge.

I saw other threads where people asked where to find the missing "Transport Control" file, but never found an answer. I'm having the same problem now.

Any help? (I did look around before asking)
Thanks,

not sure why people say this is 'missing'. the track name is the name of the live set and the album name is ableton. it's dynamically created based on the live set that is loaded in ableton live. search for ableton and you should see it. or better yet make a crate/smart crate and put the file in it.
Frank Spinatra 6:06 PM - 24 November, 2012
Quote:
not sure why people say this is 'missing'. the track name is the name of the live set and the album name is ableton. it's dynamically created based on the live set that is loaded in ableton live. search for ableton and you should see it. or better yet make a crate/smart crate and put the file in it.

Thanks Nyce, that was the first time anybody anywhere put it that simply. Appreciate it.

Cheers,
DJ_Simple 7:16 PM - 24 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

My boy has Traktor and he let me use it messing around with it yesterday and here's what I learned.
1. Traktor you can beat grid/warp or whateva you wanna call it anywhere on the track. Then you can take that same track loop it put it in the remix deck the works from the same screen where in bridge you have to go warp the track from there basically work in ableton then go back to Serato.
2. Same screen you can run you effects separately in the remix deck from the global.

Traktor knows how to market this shit. Took everything what bridge don't do and multiplied it by 100. Not giving up on bridge but Traktor is giving bridge a run for the money. Fells like apple vs Microsoft all over again

The only thing (out of all that) That Traktor has over Serato in terms of DJing is taking the loop track and putting it on the remix deck. I would love the ablility to beat juggle loops I've recorded on the fly, but Ableton syncs with Serato when using the Bridge and you can control ableton from serato without having to switch back and forth on the screens. True, if you record from wax into ableton you may have to warp the recording to keep it synced correctly but that can be done quickly and easily on small loops. Also, there's a big difference in using the bridge with just a serato box versus using a second interface!! There are things the second interface will allow you to do that you won't really be able to do with just the serato box. I think one thing that the bridge is missing would be the ability to drop looped tracks into Ableton (while on the serato interface) like you can with the SP-6 and it continues to play just the looped section. That would probably put Serato a little more on par with Traktor.
Trinicapone 8:35 PM - 24 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The only thing (out of all that) That Traktor has over Serato in terms of DJing is taking the loop track and putting it on the remix deck. I would love the ablility to beat juggle loops I've recorded on the fly, but Ableton syncs with Serato when using the Bridge and you can control ableton from serato without having to switch back and forth on the screens. True, if you record from wax into ableton you may have to warp the recording to keep it synced correctly but that can be done quickly and easily on small loops. Also, there's a big difference in using the bridge with just a serato box versus using a second interface!! There are things the second interface will allow you to do that you won't really be able to do with just the serato box. I think one thing that the bridge is missing would be the ability to drop looped tracks into Ableton (while on the serato interface) like you can with the SP-6 and it continues to play just the looped section. That would probably put Serato a little more on par with Traktor.

That's was better put I was at work the day I put that out. Serato may have something in their back pocket to crush Traktor. But best believe I was gonna make the switch. But in terms you get what you pay for my Rane 62 can buy Kontrol S4, X1, F1 and a Machine MK2 and still have change left. I will stick with Serato been here since 2005 and I love it. Traktor is still hot!
DJ_Simple 10:31 PM - 24 November, 2012
@Trinicapone I was researching the Traktor Remix decks and NI has definitely started down the path that I think a lot of DJs are looking to go down. It's a pairing of the controller and turntablist realm where you can not only play Ableton clip session style with integrated tempo sync but where you can also ad the element of scratching to it all. But I feel that the Bridge is offering a lot of the same even if it isn't laid out the same way. Yes there are a couple of draw backs but with the right planning and workflow you can get similar results.

An additional note about the bridge...I just figured out that loop and loop roll in serato will work on the Ableton track as well. (I know this isn't a major discovery if anyone has used the bridge...) but I'm not using the Ableton transport control on the Decks. (Which is what you have to do when using just one interface.) I have ableton playing along side the tracks playing on my serato decks and can still use the loop/loop roll functions to affect the ableton track as well. What happens is Ableton stays locked to the grid of the deck I choose to sync it with but if I set it to internal then I can scratch an acappella or sample over the ableton track while still having both serato decks available for mixing but if I wanted to use the loop/loop roll feature on the ableton track along with what I'm playing on the decks then I simply sync ableton to the deck I want it to loop with. The possibilities are there, just going to take some tinkering to figure out what I can and can't do with this!
monchi 11:00 PM - 24 November, 2012
Guys what version Of LIVE 8 do you have. I see prices@$399 up to $799. Is it this version

www.sweetwater.com

or this one

www.sweetwater.com

Thanks all
Code:E 12:32 AM - 25 November, 2012
Buy ableton off of there website.
Trinicapone 2:19 AM - 25 November, 2012
Quote:
@Trinicapone I was researching the Traktor Remix decks and NI has definitely started down the path that I think a lot of DJs are looking to go down. It's a pairing of the controller and turntablist realm where you can not only play Ableton clip session style with integrated tempo sync but where you can also ad the element of scratching to it all. But I feel that the Bridge is offering a lot of the same even if it isn't laid out the same way. Yes there are a couple of draw backs but with the right planning and workflow you can get similar results.

An additional note about the bridge...I just figured out that loop and loop roll in serato will work on the Ableton track as well. (I know this isn't a major discovery if anyone has used the bridge...) but I'm not using the Ableton transport control on the Decks. (Which is what you have to do when using just one interface.) I have ableton playing along side the tracks playing on my serato decks and can still use the loop/loop roll functions to affect the ableton track as well. What happens is Ableton stays locked to the grid of the deck I choose to sync it with but if I set it to internal then I can scratch an acappella or sample over the ableton track while still having both serato decks available for mixing but if I wanted to use the loop/loop roll feature on the ableton track along with what I'm playing on the decks then I simply sync ableton to the deck I want it to loop with. The possibilities are there, just going to take some tinkering to figure out what I can and can't do with this!

Check it out I took this vid Watchwww.youtube.com as a tutorial and created it in Bridge and it showed me how much can be done in the bridge. As you said b4 the ability to do everything on the fly it priceless but with a little work you can have everything traktor have. I wish Serato would take better care of this situation!
stevie o 12:31 AM - 29 November, 2012
Frank Spinatra is the greatest Dj name of all time
Proceed
Frank Spinatra 1:32 AM - 30 November, 2012
Quote:
Frank Spinatra is the greatest Dj name of all time
Proceed

Thanks stevie o.
Nocturnal916 9:57 AM - 31 August, 2013
This may be a silly question but how are you plugging in all those Midi controllers and Maschine into your laptop and using them all at once?
Trinicapone 11:49 AM - 31 August, 2013
Quote:
This may be a silly question but how are you plugging in all those Midi controllers and Maschine into your laptop and using them all at once?

It's called a powered USB. D-Link have a nice one
Nocturnal916 5:42 PM - 31 August, 2013
Thanks homie!
Chuck Taylor 11:13 AM - 16 September, 2013
good stuff man thanks for this