DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

setting up 62 as default sound card???

wicked223 10:19 PM - 12 March, 2012
ok so ive had my 62 for a couple weeks now and i just noticed....unlike my 57 when i dont have serato opened and the mixer on.... any sounds that i try to play( ie youtube or any other player) always come out of my laptop speakers..... so its obviously not auto switching sound cards when i turn on my 62...

what am i missing????
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:45 PM - 12 March, 2012
Are you using a Mac or PC computer with your 62?
wicked223 11:16 PM - 12 March, 2012
pc
Rane, Support
Shaun W 11:34 PM - 12 March, 2012
Ah, that explains it. For the Rane Sixty-Two, Sixty-One, and Sixty-Eight we decided to go with ASIO drivers over generic Windows WDM (Windows Driver Model) type drivers. ASIO drivers are far better for performance and capable of way lower latency than WDM drivers.

Unfortunately, web browers and some media players (e.g. iTunes and Windows Media player) do not support ASIO drivers/devices.

As a workaround, I suggest running the headphone output of your computer into the AUX channel of your Sixty-Two.
wicked223 11:41 PM - 12 March, 2012
ahhhhh.....thats pretty gay.. i just wanna play any music out of my monitors without running extra wires...

why would you care about performance and latency when your playing a youtube video or windows media player ...seemed to work fine with the 57..

just wondering?
wicked223 11:52 PM - 12 March, 2012
i guess now that i think about it...

with studio production software using your mixer as a sound card ....

it would matter then?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:46 PM - 13 March, 2012
Yeah, we designed the drivers with high performance audio software in mind :)
s3kn0tr0n1c 11:08 AM - 25 March, 2014
would this do you?

midithru.net

Ive been looking to use my 64 as a windows soundcard. Currently using a Edirol FA101 but would like to minimize the studio a little and if could get 64 working as normal audio card I could do away with a mixing desk and FA101.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:18 PM - 25 March, 2014
It looks like this would work.