DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 62 signal flow questions

DJ Barticus 12:30 PM - 23 February, 2012
-where are the ADC and DAC converters in the signal path of the mixer?
-does the signal start to clip when the red light comes on or is there slightly more headroom?
-is there a soft limiter?
s3kn0tr0n1c 4:02 PM - 23 February, 2012
I'll let rane answer this for you but why are you even considering running in the red.

Green is go ;)
DJ Barticus 5:45 PM - 23 February, 2012
i just like to know how things work inside and out so i can make them sound the very best...and with 2 usbs i'm not going to be the only one using this mixer

another question:

if i play a vinyl record, and use no FX does the signal stay all analog, or is it converted to digital and then back to analog on the way out?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:01 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
-where are the ADC and DAC converters in the signal path of the mixer?

At the i/o jacks and everything in between is 32bit floating point from the mixer to the computer via USB.

Quote:
-does the signal start to clip when the red light comes on or is there slightly more headroom?

No

Quote:
-is there a soft limiter?

No :)
DJ Barticus 6:20 PM - 23 February, 2012
thanks for the response Shaun, i'm graduating from a TTM 54i. your name looks familiar i may have talked to you over the phone about knobs, and DIY faceplate and RS-1 repair.

The sixty-two is my first digital mixer. my old TTM 54i had a good sound when it was slightly over driven, i would sometimes intentionally overdrive tracks that were not properly mastered to give them a bit more compression, this is a track that doesn't really work with the sixty-two because digital clipping in the channels is not nice sounding at all.
DJ Barticus 6:21 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
this is a track that

*trick not track
DJ Barticus 6:23 PM - 23 February, 2012
oh and if i can ask one more tech question

-do you know the overall latency of the mixer?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:49 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
this is a track that doesn't really work with the sixty-two because digital clipping in the channels is not nice sounding at all

The Sixty-Two should never output a digitally clipped audio signal (that's the advantage of 32bit floating point DSP).

Quote:
oh and if i can ask one more tech question

-do you know the overall latency of the mixer?

When using the Sixty-Two with thirdparty applications, you can adjust the total overall latency within the Sixty-Two Control Panel (within your System Preferences or Windows Control Panel).
With ASIO, total round-trip latency is equal to Buffer Size plus device latency. With Core Audio, total roundtrip latency is equal to Buffer Size plus software application buffer latency, plus device latency. Device latency is 2.26 ms.
For more info see page 14 of the Sixty-Two owners manual > rane.com < PDF Rane Sixty-Two Mixer Owners Manual
DJ Barticus 7:01 PM - 23 February, 2012
thanks again

owners manual says:
Quote:
the Sixty-Two drivers are designed to run at latencies as low 8 milliseconds.

i got all my sliders to the left, so i guess it's 8ms for me, even when playing vinyl
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:43 PM - 23 February, 2012
8ms round trip is really low.
There will be no latency when playing regular vinyl as the signal doesn't have to go to the computer and back to the mixer. Its simply coming into the analogue inputs directly to the mixer.
DJ Barticus 7:53 PM - 23 February, 2012
no doubt, i'm not complaining about 8ms. as far as i can tell anything below 10ms is impossible to detect

good to know about the vinyl having 0 latency, from the first responce i was thinking that EVERYTHING inside of the mixer was digital

so is the EQ section in the analog domain? how about the filter? i know the built in fx must be digital.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:55 PM - 23 February, 2012
Everything in the mixer is digital.
It receives an analog signal and converts it to digital as soon as the signal gets into the mixer.
DJ Barticus 8:35 PM - 23 February, 2012
okay so then there must be some latency with vinyl too, even if it is impossible to detect. AFAIK there is no such thing as a A/D and D/A conversion that happens instantaneously.

not trying to nit pick, i'm very happy with this mixer i just like to understand everything about my gear
DJ Barticus 8:41 PM - 23 February, 2012
i know some of you are thinking, "why do you care, why does it matter if you can't detect the latency"

well say this rane mixer has 8ms latency
and then i plug it into my QSC K-series which has its own DSP that adds ___ms latency
say later on i expand my PA system and add a driverack which will add a slight bit more latency

all of those small impossible to detect amount of latency could add up to something that the end user could notice...and like i said i just like to know my gear inside and out.

and yes the most important thing is "how does it sound" so far it sounds amazing, very clean with vinyl and digital files. really love having the booth out to dial in just the right amount of sub needed for each track.
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:43 PM - 23 February, 2012
Sorry.. you are correct. Had to ask the lead engineer but was told when your using the mixer as a stand alone the latency is 1.28ms.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 8:45 PM - 23 February, 2012
The Sixty-Two when used in conjunction with SSL is 8ms (the mixer is using Serato's drivers), but as a Core Audio and ASIO device with our (Rane) drivers:
Quote:
With ASIO, total round-trip latency is equal to Buffer Size plus device latency. With Core Audio, total roundtrip latency is equal to Buffer Size plus software application buffer latency, plus device latency. Device latency is 2.26 ms.
^ this is much lower than what the Serato drivers can do.

When used as a standalone mixer (ie no computer/Core Audio/ASIO drivers), the latency is as Zach posted above :)
Makero 3:48 PM - 24 February, 2012
Quote:
It receives an analog signal and converts it to digital as soon as the signal gets into the mixer.

And 61 works the same way?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:37 PM - 24 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

And 61 works the same way?

Yes :)