Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Key Lock Quality

Detroit's DJ Skillz!!! 12:37 AM - 23 February, 2012
I never see anyone posting about Serato's key lock quality. I started off using Traktor Scratch Pro. I tried out VDJ when the video feature came out. I've also used Scratch Live and I'm currently using Itch.

I'm from Detroit. I, and most Dj's in Detroit, play Hip Hop at a high rate of speed. Although my PC (Yes, I said PC) keeps up with me, whenever I use Serato it just sounds crappy.

I was never happy with the key lock with Serato. I get low end pops and "distorion" after increasing the speed of the music a bit. I find this very annoying and it sounds unprofessional. I've never had this problem with Traktor or VDJ. I only have this issue when using the Serato software.

The only reason that I'm using Serato is because I like the NS7. It's an amazing machine and yes it works just fine with my Compaq F700 (PC) which has an AMD dual core processor running Vista Home Premium 32-bit with 3GB (max. amount) of DDR2.

If there is a way to make my music sound better while they key lock is on, someone please let me know. I'm looking forward to hearing from ANYONE who knows how to get around this. Otherwise, I just may have to sell my NS7 and go back to time code with TSP...
DJ I.O 1:10 AM - 23 February, 2012
yea I feel you, I thought I was the only one that notice that too. I swtched over from Torq(great program just crappy hardware) and in Torq you could speed or slow up a track drastically to up to 50% and not hear artifacts. but in Itch I wouldn't dare change a track's speed by more than 6%. I got to be honesty for a company that somewhat led the way in pitch shifting I expected way more and was disappointed. hopefully an update can fix this(along with the crappy worthless sound effects).
DJ I.O 1:11 AM - 23 February, 2012
and like you the main reason I use Serato itch is bcuz of the hardware (I use a VCI300mk2)
phatbob 1:33 AM - 23 February, 2012
Serato are aware that people aren't happy with the key lock, they've said they're working on it... Although they've said that for a while now.

As a workaround, if you consistently play certain tracks at a very high pitch, why not warp them in Ableton Live? Then you'll have copies already at the right sort of speed, but with Ableton's complex pro warp mode you should get better key lock results.
Detroit's DJ Skillz!!! 2:26 AM - 23 February, 2012
I can get used to everything else in the software but that key lock is the pits. I hope that they do get it worked out soon. I also hate the fact that I can't map my own controls on my controllers.

Plug-N-Play is great for the beginner but I crave more than that. However, Itch isn't all that bad. I can set up and get started in a matter of seconds.

@ phatbob. I've never used Ableton and probably won't get around to it very soon. I own a licensed copy of TSP2 and I can speed up and record the track back into the software in order to avoid overdriving the keylock. Thanks for the idea. I'm surprised that I didn't think of that one myself.....
Detroit's DJ Skillz!!! 2:27 AM - 23 February, 2012
By the way, the NS7 is the only controller that I've ever used with Itch and it's absolutely perfect!!!!
mfshva7 2:33 PM - 23 February, 2012
The Keylock is terrible in Itch when you compare it to Traktor Pro2 , Serato uses his own Keylock Algo and Traktor (and Torq , Ableton too) uses the Z-Plane (german company) Algo´s (Elastique Time Pro , AufTAKT, tonART)

I think when Serato is willing to provide a Keylock which can beat Traktor or go equal in quality they have also to license this Algo´s because since the last 2-3 Years they are the industry standard in Timestretching *imho*
skinnyguy 7:03 PM - 23 February, 2012
the keylock is better in scratchlive than itch, for some reason.
Detroit's DJ Skillz!!! 2:19 AM - 24 February, 2012
@skinnyguy

That's probably because Scratch Live doesn't go as fast as Itch. I left Scratch Live just a couple of days after buying it. Itch, however, seems to work out better for me. If TSP ever fully supports the NS7, then I'll scratch Itch off of my list......
Papa Midnight 8:16 AM - 24 February, 2012
Quote:
I never see anyone posting about Serato's key lock quality

Come again? Search this forum. It's brought up in practically EVERY "Feature Request" thread on here.
skinnyguy 9:09 PM - 24 February, 2012
skillz - what do you mean it doesn't go as fast as itch? key lock processing? you would think the key lock would be the same, coming from the same company...
Detroit's DJ Skillz!!! 12:56 AM - 29 February, 2012
Papa Midnight- It's all part of being "new" here. I haven't personally seen mention of it....

skinnyguy- Back when I used Scratch Live, the pitch wouldn't go past +/- 10%. Itch goes to +/- 50%. That's all I meant...

F.Y.I
I've tried using the NS7 with Numark Cue. It works pretty good but it's just not as accurate as it is in Itch. It seems like there's an "almost noticeable" lag while I'm scratching and flashing.
The keylock in Cue can be set to high quality and it sounds great. The other downside is that the audio quality isn't as good. While I'm speaking on audio quality, TSP has the best sound quality (in my opinion) of any of the DJ software...
Detroit's DJ Skillz!!! 2:10 AM - 29 February, 2012
Great News!!!! I just gave the Itch 2.2 beta version a test drive and the keylock quality was almost perfect!!! I would rate the previous keylock quality a 2 out of 10. The new keylock quality I give a 9 out of 10. I have new hope now and I feel bad for those who have already sold their NS7 to go back to time code.

Also, the CPU usage was noticeably less. It glitched on me once and I lost sound for about 5 seconds during the hour that I used it. Every now and then, the CPU would max out for about a second or two but this didn't affect the performance.

My next and final gripe would be that the keylock goes off too quickly when pause is pressed (NS7). If you are at +10% picth, then press pause, the pitch matches the platter speed then slows as the platter slows. It reminds me of an automobile with a transmission that's slipping.....
phatbob 2:19 AM - 29 February, 2012
That's interesting, because AFAIK they've done nothing with keylock in 2.2...
Detroit's DJ Skillz!!! 2:32 AM - 29 February, 2012
Lol!!! Play something with deep smooth bass, speed it up, listen for popping, and thumping. It's still there but greatly reduced. I'm hoping that they have it smoothed all the way out when the official upgrade is ready.

Also, phatbob, I did read the thread before I downloaded the beta. True, there was no mention of improving the keylock quality. So, MAYBE, it sounds less bumpy on my PC because the CPU is not worked as hard. After all, you have to have a fast machine to have a smooth keylock....
Detroit's DJ Skillz!!! 1:46 PM - 4 March, 2012
Just to let you guys (who are following this thread) know, I jumped the gun on this one. Although I noticed a huge difference in the keylock the annoying noises are still there. It seems to be louder on certain frequencies. It's now barely noticeable in my headphones but when I got a chance to play the music through the loudspeakers it was still annoying as heck.

The local radio station here also uses Itch when they do their evening Hip Hop mixes. I can here the same glitchy sound in their music but it's not as bad as my system. I wonder what they're using (if anything) to further mask the sound. I do know that radio stations compress their signals. Maybe I'll try that and see if it reduces the annoying glitchy bass sound...
wingcomm 12:27 AM - 19 May, 2012
Just want to throw my hat into the ring here. This is an issue for me as well... serato.com
maarawoe 10:59 AM - 19 May, 2012
I totally agree... The time stretch algorithm (key lock) if very poor quality in the Itch when comparing with traktor and the others... Please do some improvement to make it sound better and not so choppy with artefacts (even when changing speed not so dramatically) because now its nearly unusable - its not necessary to sound it as pitch'n'time but there is huge potencial to improve this feature within a budget...
Papa Midnight 1:16 PM - 19 May, 2012
Quote:
I totally agree... The time stretch algorithm (key lock) if very poor quality in the Itch when comparing with traktor and the others... Please do some improvement to make it sound better and not so choppy with artefacts (even when changing speed not so dramatically) because now its nearly unusable - its not necessary to sound it as pitch'n'time but there is huge potencial to improve this feature within a budget...

I disagree personally... with Pitch n' Time having the excellent time stretching algorithm that it does, why is ITCH's as it currently is?

I actually don't see much wrong with it when playing things such as Hip-Hop, or EDM... but throw Rock in there and it gets rather ugly.
maarawoe 3:31 PM - 19 May, 2012
Quote:

I disagree personally... with Pitch n' Time having the excellent time stretching algorithm that it does, why is ITCH's as it currently is?.

You must take in account that pitch'n'time is a studio product and probably the developement of this tool was not cheap so I think its nearly impossible that it will be ever integrated and personally I don't need p'n't in Itch. All I need/want is that the algorithms used are better than they are now - I am playing electronic music and the degradation of the sound quality is very noticeable...
djcerla 5:45 PM - 19 May, 2012
Pitch'n'Time isn't a real time algo, guys.
DJ I.O 7:26 PM - 19 May, 2012
II switched over from Avid's Torq DJ program and I was able to key lock and stretch a song up to 50% slower or faster with no artifacts whatsoever. I figured since Serato lead the way in pictch shifting that with Itch I could do the same . oh boy was I wrong. I don't even need a 50% change. sometimes I just want to go from a songs playing 120 to 115 and the quality deteriorates in itch even with that small of increment
Papa Midnight 8:55 PM - 19 May, 2012
Quote:

Fair enough.
DJ CAPRO 9:55 PM - 19 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Fair enough.

Fair enough but you don't have be so 3rd class when you claim to have a leader in the field.

ScratchLive has some amazing effects. Slaps the spit out of my mouth, I don't know about you.
maarawoe 8:58 AM - 20 May, 2012
It doesn't matter if p'n't is or isn't realtime - I wanted to say that I am not expecting that serato will ever implemented it in the Itch but they have sufficient technology knowledge and experience with the timestretch that there is no reason why the key lock in the itch should should as crappy as it currently does...
RodrigoVolta 8:20 PM - 22 May, 2012
This has been a subject much discussed here in the forum.
Since I've began using the ITCH, I've noticed this problem. Compared with Traktor or even with VDJ, the Serato's MasterTempo is really bad!
Since ITCH 1.8 nothing has been improved in this regard. But it's tolerable!
Maybe in ITCH 3.0 something changed!
So much to fix...
djcerla 11:56 PM - 22 May, 2012
In clubs it's a non-problem, however, it makes ITCH not suitable for mixtapes or radio shows when keylock is on.

This sucks, but a better algo has been promised by Serato devs, my guess is it will come in the next major release.
D Jay Cee 12:47 PM - 5 October, 2012
Quote:
Great News!!!! I just gave the Itch 2.2 beta version a test drive and the keylock quality was almost perfect!!! I would rate the previous keylock quality a 2 out of 10. The new keylock quality I give a 9 out of 10. I have new hope now and I feel bad for those who have already sold their NS7 to go back to time code.

Also, the CPU usage was noticeably less. It glitched on me once and I lost sound for about 5 seconds during the hour that I used it. Every now and then, the CPU would max out for about a second or two but this didn't affect the performance.

you are kidding me, right? becuase it stil sux rightously for me....I slowed down Usher's Climax only 3 percent and it sounded like shit with the key lock on...other songs not as noticeably but still noticeable. Until that song I never used it...i decided I didn't like the pitch change in his voice and used the lock....I'll never use it again.

My next and final gripe would be that the keylock goes off too quickly when pause is pressed (NS7). If you are at +10% picth, then press pause, the pitch matches the platter speed then slows as the platter slows. It reminds me of an automobile with a transmission that's slipping.....
blackavenger 1:01 PM - 5 October, 2012
Quote:
This sucks, but a better algo has been promised by Serato devs, my guess is it will come in the next major release.

I realize your post is a bit old now, but can you please give a link to where this promise was given.
Papa Midnight 2:33 PM - 5 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I realize your post is a bit old now, but can you please give a link to where this promise was given.

I never saw that myself, either.
geminimech 5:26 PM - 11 July, 2013
Recorded a mix with Key Lock on a deck, went back to give it a listen and christ was it distorted. It sounded like it was clipping, which is what I thought at first, but I manage gains properly so I was a bit baffled. Mixing again last night when I popped key lock on a different track that I wanted to pitch up a bit, and that's when I had my light bulb moment.

Sucks that this isn't fixed in DJ either.
blackavenger 11:01 AM - 14 July, 2013
Quote:
Recorded a mix with Key Lock on a deck, went back to give it a listen and christ was it distorted. It sounded like it was clipping, which is what I thought at first, but I manage gains properly so I was a bit baffled. Mixing again last night when I popped key lock on a different track that I wanted to pitch up a bit, and that's when I had my light bulb moment.

After all these years, I HIGHLY doubt it will EVER be addressed. Sad. Then again, FLAC was implemented after 8 years of requests/begging/complaining, so who knows? Problem is, Updated Keylock has been being requested since nearly it's inception 6 years ago, so I wouldn't hold your breath. If you want superior Keylock, save up for some CDJ-2000NXS'. The really sad part of it all is that fact that once upon a time Serato won all kinds of accolades with "Pitch in Time"......a time stretching software. Go figure!!!
RodrigoVolta 11:29 PM - 16 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

After all these years, I HIGHLY doubt it will EVER be addressed. Sad. Then again, FLAC was implemented after 8 years of requests/begging/complaining, so who knows? Problem is, Updated Keylock has been being requested since nearly it's inception 6 years ago, so I wouldn't hold your breath. If you want superior Keylock, save up for some CDJ-2000NXS'. The really sad part of it all is that fact that once upon a time Serato won all kinds of accolades with "Pitch in Time"......a time stretching software. Go figure!!!

Not is necessary to use CDJ2000. Change to Traktor Pro and check the difference!!! Traktor keylock algorithm is "light-years" ahead of Serato...

I might even risking to say that VirtualDJ wins in this aspect of Serato for years ...
blackavenger 4:38 AM - 17 July, 2013
I own Traktor. It's Keylock is better than Serato's...that's for sure, but the new CDJ-200NXS' Keylock puts them all to shame.
Detroit's DJ Skillz!!! 10:24 AM - 17 July, 2013
That's cool for those who still use CDs. If you plan to use it with time code, you will still have the same issue...
geminimech 11:36 AM - 17 July, 2013
Unless you use Rekordbox. Which I can't imagine I wouldn't if I owned 2000's.
Dj Fitty 12:41 AM - 23 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not is necessary to use CDJ2000. Change to Traktor Pro and check the difference!!! Traktor keylock algorithm is "light-years" ahead of Serato...

I might even risking to say that VirtualDJ wins in this aspect of Serato for years ...

Mixvibes Cross 2.5 puts them all to shame in that regard. even gives you and let you adjust the Key of the song
aktronic 10:40 PM - 27 July, 2013
Quote:

Mixvibes Cross 2.5 puts them all to shame in that regard. even gives you and let you adjust the Key of the song

I've tested CROSS DJ Free 2.5.0 (without Controller-Support). The Quality of KeyLock is great!!!
You can pitch +-100%.
Test with "Sky and Sand" (Paul Kalkbrenner) and compare CROSS DJ with ITCH and DJ (+-8%). Then compare.....

SERATO, is it possible to get the KeyLock-Quality in ITCH and DJ like CROSS DJ??? Where is the Problem???
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:50 AM - 28 July, 2013
Itch is dead no more updates from 2.2.2!
Oliver Giving 6:19 PM - 30 July, 2013
Quote:

Boo!
RodrigoVolta 12:01 AM - 9 August, 2013
Quote:

Unfortunately .... Very unfortunately ....
nelsonleeroy 10:49 AM - 9 October, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm experiencing the same with serato DJ, I can't think why the keylock quality is so terrible even at just 6 bpm from original tempo !!!

I just get a DDJ-SX and I had no choice to buy traktor pro 2.6.4 for the quality
but it's working one time in two, when I launch serato it works, the sound is terrible but it works... so don't really know what to do and I must found a solution because I'm spending more time on issues than djjing...
Does anyone knows some stable alternatives to do the job with DDJ SX on mac ?

thanks
RodrigoVolta 12:35 PM - 9 October, 2013
Since Serato 1.0, KeyLock is HORRIBLE!!!

While other programs are evolving, Serato still outdated in this regard!
Detroit's DJ Skillz!!! 9:15 PM - 9 October, 2013
You'll get used to it. I did. Clients don't complain. It's not noticeable in a club environment...
RodrigoVolta 9:49 PM - 9 October, 2013
Quote:
You'll get used to it. I did. Clients don't complain. It's not noticeable in a club environment...

In my headphone is very noticiable and in any recording!
So, to record my sets I have to use Traktor in offline mode! Serato is impossible to use!
In clubs is noticiable... Take a simple music that having a simple vocal without any beat. Check that some artifacts/distorcions is very noticiable!

I can not understand because Serato has not fixed this problem in software that exist for years. I repeat: software consecrated as Traktor, VirtualDJ, Deckadance or other even simpler as Mixxx, Future Decks or DJuced NOT have a similar problem!

I can not accept this kind of situation! Unfortunately I have to live with it until I replace the controller in which no longer uses Serato platform!
Nacho Ruiz 9:33 AM - 31 October, 2013
Please, fix it, Serato!
Stu J 7:17 PM - 11 December, 2013
I can't believe how bad this quality issue is, I've finally just bought Traktor and am about to move over to using that, not because I want to but because I have absolutely no choice.

I find it hard to believe that they spend any time developing anything else or any other updates before fixing this.

I never noticed this problem when using Scratch Live, I find that quite odd.
blackavenger 7:47 PM - 11 December, 2013
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that they spend any time developing anything else or any other updates before fixing this.

It doesn't surprise me. The segment of the DJing world that Serato has been appealing to for the past few years could care less about sound quality. These newbs only care about having a multitude of EFX to stack upon one another, and other more flashy features. There are some of us who have been asking for an improved Keylock Algorithm since months after they first introduced it in ScratchLIVE, several years ago. Unfortunately, Serato keep pushing it further and further back on the update list. I'm really starting to think it'll be a decade before it's addressed. Hell, some of us have even said we would "pay" for an improved Keylock....still nothing!! I haven't even read a single comment from a Mod or Developer regarding Keylock in years. At this point, it's beyond pathetic!
RodrigoVolta 9:26 PM - 11 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't surprise me. The segment of the DJing world that Serato has been appealing to for the past few years could care less about sound quality. These newbs only care about having a multitude of EFX to stack upon one another, and other more flashy features. There are some of us who have been asking for an improved Keylock Algorithm since months after they first introduced it in ScratchLIVE, several years ago. Unfortunately, Serato keep pushing it further and further back on the update list. I'm really starting to think it'll be a decade before it's addressed. Hell, some of us have even said we would "pay" for an improved Keylock....still nothing!! I haven't even read a single comment from a Mod or Developer regarding Keylock in years. At this point, it's beyond pathetic!

Serato software has many serious problems! One is the bad BPM detector! Almost always the grid does not fit the beats!

I can not use my controller with the SDJ, only with the obsolete ITCH! So, my equipment was obsolete, forcing me to buy a new one!

As I said earlier, my next purchase will be a device that natively supports Traktor!
Serato never more!

I got tired of waiting for the goodwill of the developers! These are things that bother!
It's like buying a guitar that never get a good tuning. For a musician, this is terrible!

Since the developers of the software is not competent to solve old problems, we will exchange software and consequently the equipment since it is tied to the software!

Simple as that!
blackavenger 10:31 PM - 11 December, 2013
Well, I am not jumping ship. But that's not to say that I don't care about this being fixed, because I REALLY REALLY do!!! I already own Traktor Scratch, along with an Audio8. What I use Traktor for is the Remix Decks. I wouldn't have even wanted that had Serato just listened to us back when they first introduced the SP-6, and subsequent Bridge. It's really sad, because Serato were TOP DOGS for a few years there, and totally dropped the ball as far as innovation was concerned. They brought out Bridge, but never really improved upon it....so obviously Native Instruments were like, "yeah, we can do something similar, and make it easy and inclusive". Traktor even has a better Keylock when compared to ScratchLIVE, Itch, or SeratoDJ. It's sad, because I love Serato. I've been playing on it for so long. But I really wish they would just focus. Hopefully, now that it is all one product that focus will come to light. If not, then by these standards, freakin' VirtualDJ is going to be superior before long.
d:raf 6:30 AM - 12 December, 2013
I just loaded Traktor up for the first time to hear the difference for myself... wow. I knew it was better, but damn... it's like the difference between an mp3 purchased from Itunes vs. downloaded from Limewire (or whatever the kids are using these days).

Side note: it took me 20 minutes to get to the point where I could even play anything (the mapping I downloaded for it is not working as advertised). I need to set aside a week to map it... somehow... ugh.
blackavenger 8:36 PM - 12 December, 2013
yeah, Traktor's Keylock is soooooo much better than ScratchLIVE's, Itch's, or SeratoDJ's. I really hope that after the merger, the developers get to work on improving all of these age old issues! Keylock should be NEAR THE TOP of that list!!!
Nacho Ruiz 3:42 AM - 31 December, 2013
In this link there is a KeyLock test between Traktor, Virtual DJ, Cross, Serato, Deckadance and Djay

soundcloud.com

Judge for yourselves
blackavenger 7:40 AM - 31 December, 2013
Quote:
soundcloud.com

Judge for yourselves

To my ears:

1.) Cross
2.) Djay
3.) Traktor
4.) Deckadance
5.) Serato
6.) VirtualDJ

That's just sad!
aktronic 12:26 PM - 31 December, 2013
To my ears:

1. Cross

6. Serato

Only Serato: you can hear pops and clicks...
Nacho Ruiz 1:16 PM - 31 December, 2013
Another test

soundcloud.com

It's very clear that Serato is the worst so far...
RodrigoVolta 3:34 PM - 31 December, 2013
Best to worse:

1)- Traktor.
2)- Deckadance/Cross/DJay.
3)- VirtualDJ.
4)- Serato.

Serato have the worst MasterTempo algorithm existing today!
Even the simple mixing software like Mixxx and the new MIK Flow, MasterTempo algorythm is "light years" ahead of Serato!

A shame that, huh Serato!
Where are the programmers to fix it?
No, no! Serato is more worried in "clog" the software with "useless things" than fix ooooooldest bugs!!!

It's not commercially viable...
Papa Midnight 3:32 PM - 23 January, 2014
blackavenger 3:43 PM - 23 January, 2014
Quote:
djworx.com

Yeah, man, this is sooo great....it's like I want to shout it from the rooftops!! However, with all the hype surrounding this announcement, the many YEARS it took for us to get it, and the fact that we have to pay for it, it better be the best Keylock algorithm out there.....beating Traktor, Mixvibes, Djay, Deckadance...all of them!!
Papa Midnight 3:45 PM - 23 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
djworx.com

Yeah, man, this is sooo great....it's like I want to shout it from the rooftops!! However, with all the hype surrounding this announcement, the many YEARS it took for us to get it, and the fact that we have to pay for it, it better be the best Keylock algorithm out there.....beating Traktor, Mixvibes, Djay, Deckadance...all of them!!

I agree.
RodrigoVolta 4:39 PM - 23 January, 2014
Cool!!!

What it will cost PITCH ’N TIME DJ?
blackavenger 4:51 PM - 23 January, 2014
$29USD
RodrigoVolta 4:55 PM - 23 January, 2014
Quote:
$29USD

Thanks!

Now, they could release an Expansion Pack that makes the correct BPM detection of songs. Then we would not have have to resort to third party software for that.
Detroit's DJ Skillz!!! 1:15 PM - 13 February, 2014
FIXED!!! The Pitch-N-Time plugin is working flawlessly! Thanks, Serato!

For you guys who are having problems with your BPM, you MUST be doing SOMETHING wrong. I've used all of the top DJ software and Serato comes up with the same bpm values that I had used over the years.

Remember "bpm" is "beats per minute." This is not an indicator of the "speed" or "energy" of your tracks. It's simply a calculation of how many BEATS there are PER 60 second period (MINUTE)...
aktronic 2:26 PM - 13 February, 2014
Quote:

FIXED!!! The Pitch-N-Time plugin is working flawlessly! Thanks, Serato!

+1
Yessss, it works great!

A nice feature would be to change the key manualy.