DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

James Randi Offers $1 Million If Audiophiles Can Prove $7250 Speaker Cables Are Better

a-swift 10:39 PM - 16 October, 2007
The subject pretty much says it all. He's calling bullshit on Pear Ajou speaker cables at $7250. But really, he's calling bullshit on all the monster cables and similar overpriced speaker cables. I've called bullshit for years but i've never put my money where my mouth is.

Well this guy is!

So I challenge anybody with even $300 speaker wires.

gizmodo.com
Dj_KaGeN 10:43 PM - 16 October, 2007
None have stepped up so far. None ever will.
a-swift 10:45 PM - 16 October, 2007
I'm also calling the same on anyone who says they can hear the difference between 320kbps and 256kbps. Maybe, and I mean MAYBE they could do it if they were able to pick the specific source material to do the test with but on an "average radio song", hell no. I call bullshit.
sixxx 10:46 PM - 16 October, 2007
I can prove that Monster Cables are better than the cheapest cables at Radio Shack.... at insulating and keeping away noise.

But, I can't prove that it will IMPROVE sound.

Unless you count LESS NOISE = better sound.
sixxx 10:47 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
I'm also calling the same on anyone who says they can hear the difference between 320kbps and 256kbps. Maybe, and I mean MAYBE they could do it if they were able to pick the specific source material to do the test with but on an "average radio song", hell no. I call bullshit.

+1 on this one.
a-swift 10:54 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
I can prove that Monster Cables are better than the cheapest cables at Radio Shack.... at insulating and keeping away noise.

well theoretically, a shielded cable or a twisted cable will reject noise better but if the test was conducted in a noise free environment, the expensive cables are not going to improve sound over the cheap cables.

i think the guy maybe went overboard to prove his point. he seems to have snapped at these clowns specifically and their $7250 speaker cables.

i could play devil's advocate and say anyone who pays $7250 for speaker wires, deserves them in more ways than 1.

i'll also say that the guy buying these speaker wires, probably has a pretty damn sweet sounding rig period. a sweet sounding rig is gonna be pricey with or without the 7 grand in speaker wires.
Dj_KaGeN 11:01 PM - 16 October, 2007
just bought them.....they arrived by limo in a gold leafed box.

4 hot girls scantily clad with the super big scissors helped me cut the bow to the box. We took photos popped the cork on the champagne and the girls got all dirty on their knees hooking the cables up.. As all good female installers do, they entertained me by wiggling their cute asses at me, one did get a little dirty and the other 3 helped wipe her off. The sexiest of the bunch turned on my Sherwood amp and tell you what, it's impressive - need I say more. I look to but more cables soon.
Dj_KaGeN 11:01 PM - 16 October, 2007

4 hot girls scantily clad with the super big scissors helped me cut the bow to the box. We took photos popped the cork on the champagne and the girls got all dirty on their knees hooking the cables up.. As all good female installers do, they entertained me by wiggling their cute asses at me, one did get a little dirty and the other 3 helped wipe her off. The sexiest of the bunch turned on my Sherwood amp and tell you what, it's impressive - need I say more. I look to buy more cables soon.
djaction 11:03 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

A no-name brand shielded cable that is identical to the monster cable yet costs 1/4 of the price will do the same thing.
Dj onyx 11:13 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

I disagree with this one. It's just the same no matter what, If you look at the conductor they are the same copper. Now compare it with the same gauge there won't be any difference. If it is Silver plated then that would be a much better conductor but I highly dought that the manufacturer will spend too much in building their product. If you want to eliminate noise use a shielded wire, which is the xlr conector comes in place. It's already proven and a fact that you can't change the chemical elements of each conductor. The best conductor out there is silver, It's too expensive and will oxidize. So copper is the best choice cheaper and it's the second best conductor available.
a-swift 11:23 PM - 16 October, 2007
the electrical charecteristics of transmitting audio that humans can hear on a wire, says that copper is good enough.
sixxx 11:44 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

A no-name brand shielded cable that is identical to the monster cable yet costs 1/4 of the price will do the same thing.

Anyone who disagrees with me I bet you $300 that I can prove you what I just said... isolating noise.

I have a very simple method. My 1994 nissan truck.
sixxx 11:45 PM - 16 October, 2007
and my bet is for Monster Cable (shielding) vs cheap ass Radio Shack shielding.
sixxx 11:45 PM - 16 October, 2007
and I do agree, copper is copper. lol
Dj_KaGeN 11:53 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
and my bet is for Monster Cable (shielding) vs cheap ass Radio Shack shielding.

replace the alternator like you should of in the first place to handle the larger draw of voltage for the amps you added (if you bought cheap-ass amps, you should of screwed that amp in to wood, the wood to metal, and finally replace the ground strap to a larger gauge. I might even take you up on your bet. You'd be out another $150 for a better alt.. out of pocket to KaGeN $300 - expensive day kid. I'd unbury my Niss Convertible Hardbody and we could Roll Central Cali and own that shit dawg...
sixxx 1:13 AM - 17 October, 2007
See? Now you're changing it all up. Doesn't matter if there was any bad grounding or anything... still a Monster Cable vs a regular RCA cable shielded the noise without getting a more expensive alternator or anything like that.

hahaha.

Remember, I'm not saying that any of these expensive cables will actually increase the quality of the signal which is what they claim. All I'm saying is that the shielding is a lot better... plus they don't fall apart like Radio Shack cables.
a-swift 2:07 AM - 17 October, 2007
dude is not debating the quality of construction, quality of interference rejection, good looks or anything else. he's talking sound quality. me too.
Dj onyx 2:09 AM - 17 October, 2007
I don't know of any RCA cable being shielded, but I do know that Component cable does. If you set it up in your car and getting noise that is a matter of placement of the harness close to the high current wires. Plus you will also get noise if the gauge of wire your using are small than what is required. Just remember as a rule of the thumb or OHM's law, lower voltage require a more current than the higher voltage. Also it's better to have power storage such as 1/2 or 1uf capacitor.
DJBlisk 2:28 AM - 17 October, 2007
hmmm..
sixxx 2:33 AM - 17 October, 2007
Oh, I agree with you a-swift. I was just talking about isolation and construction. As you were. ;)
DJ d.range 3:22 AM - 17 October, 2007
i'd be willing to try the double blind test & just guess...50/50 shot at a mil.
Izzy 3:43 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
Just remember as a rule of the thumb or OHM's law, lower voltage require a more current than the higher voltage.

LOL at Ohms Law, I=E/R! Where do I sign up for physics?
a-swift 3:44 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
i'd be willing to try the double blind test & just guess...50/50 shot at a mil.

yeah, but you'd have to pay HIM a million. it's a challenge!
Izzy 3:47 AM - 17 October, 2007
Where you at D. Range... ATM??
Dj onyx 5:20 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Just remember as a rule of the thumb or OHM's law, lower voltage require a more current than the higher voltage.

LOL at Ohms Law, I=E/R! Where do I sign up for physics?

Yes that is right for the current! But what I'm saying is at 12V you will need a much bigger gauge wire than the 120v. You don't need physics, just algebra. LOL!
DJ d.range 8:19 AM - 17 October, 2007
atm??
nik39 2:49 PM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:

4 hot girls scantily clad with the super big scissors helped me cut the bow to the box. We took photos popped the cork on the champagne and the girls got all dirty on their knees hooking the cables up.. As all good female installers do, they entertained me by wiggling their cute asses at me, one did get a little dirty and the other 3 helped wipe her off. The sexiest of the bunch turned on my Sherwood amp and tell you what, it's impressive - need I say more. I look to but more cables soon.

Pics or videos - or it didnt happen.
Soulsonica™ 3:06 PM - 17 October, 2007
Snake Oil.

A hundred years from know they'll be looking back at archives of all the Monster Cable ads laughing their asses off. Kind of like we do know at that wallpaper you see in some restaurant bathrooms that's made up of old Sears, Roebuck and Co. catalog pages showing crazy devices that supposedly cured everything such as hair loss, obesecity, etc. -- but we all know who's laughing their ass off all the way to the bank today, and that's Noel Lee.
Audio1 4:34 PM - 17 October, 2007
speaking of good cables and relatively inexpensive prices, Any recommendations? I need some new "gig" RCA's... Name the brand, price and where to buy. Thank you!
DJBlisk 4:41 PM - 17 October, 2007
I like the ones at Guitar Center... they're cheap and they do the job.
djgs 6:08 PM - 17 October, 2007
they say on the funktion one website that they can tell the difference on there speakers between a 320 and a wav ...

thing is that the majority of people that maybe play through a rig like that they have been sent the tune by email anyway...