DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Your Basic Guide To House Music

DJ Michael Basic 4:07 AM - 16 October, 2007
Ok so there always seem to be questions about house music on this board, which makes sense since the majority of people on here are hiphop guys. Now I'm not pretentious enough to sit here and say that what I have to say on the subject is the be all end all, but I'd like to just make a "once and for all" post that I can later link to so I don't have to type out what house music is to me and what people should look for. Note also that house music is ever evolving, and what's big right now probably won't be in a couple years. From what I've seen, the "current house sound" changes every 2 years or so.

Here's the quick and dirty breakdown for the totally uninitiated. House is form of Electronic Dance Music (EDM) which is characterized by the use of a kick drum on each beat, lots of synths for melody and ambient sounds, bassline driven tracks, with varying degree of vocals. Many house tracks have a break or multipe breaks which lead to a buildup and a big drop. House music is designed to play with your emotions, to bring you up, take you down only to bring you up higher. Most house resides in the 118-134 bpm range, however, as with anything, exceptions exist. House music is also interesting in the fact that when a song is released, common practice is for many producers to take the track and remix it into how they think it should be sound. The tracks are then sold as remix packages. Imagine if Timbaland came out with The Way I are, then Diddy, Swizz Beats, and Dr. Dre all remixed it into their own sound, while keeping elements of the original track. This is common practice with house music.

There's also a misconception that house music is timeless...that you can rock a house set using all the same tracks that worked 5 years ago. This is false...house music actually moves faster than top40...with hundreds of new tracks being released daily, to a DISCERNING house crowd, it is much easier to fall behind. Recently, there is a trend in house music to include a major BPM change in the breakdown, usually dropping down to 115 or so bpm but sometimes as low as 95 before speeding back up again for the drop. The 2007 Mickey Slim remix of the House Of Pain track Jump Around was not the first track ever to do this, but it was likely the first hugely succesful track to do it, paving the way for many other bpm changing tracks over the past year.

Right now, in 2007, Electro House is king of the house world. It's not the only type of house there is, but it's definately the top of the heap. It started to really gain momentum in late 2006 (of course electro sounds had been around long before that) and is really considered the "2007 sound." Electro House has really dirty deep sounding synths, lots of bleeps and beeps and other noises to fill space. It tends to be very hard, very busy, and usually in the upper bpm ranges of house.

There are many Genres within the House Category:

Deep House usually consists of subdued melodies and less driving beats, with a more loungy or "after hours" feel.

Tribal House's signature drum beats are as the name suggests.

Funky House is reminiscant of Disco.

Latin House contains elements of various types of latin music, complete with horns, acoustic guitar breakdowns, and spanish vocals.

Progressive House tends to be more melody driven than bassline driven.

Commercial House can either be remixes of top40 tracks or original tracks that have a similar feel to top40 music.

Fidget House is the House version of Bmore...it makes use of chopped up loops beats and vocals, with some rather glitchy sounding elements.
There are more genres out there but those are the ones I feel most comfortable giving descriptions to.

If you're looking for house music, you need to first decide which of these genres you're into.

As Electro House is my thing, I'll list some remixers and producers to look out for.

Mickey Slim
Deadmau5 (BSOD)
Dirty South
Tony Arzadon
Nick Terranova (the Starkillers)
Joey Mazzola
Tocadisco
Axwell
TV Rock
Chardy
The Potbelleez
Larry Powers
Christian Hoff
Dave Spoon
Vandalism
Angello and Ingrosso
Armand pena
Hoxton Whores
Granite and Phunk
Ortega & Gold
Dirty Funker
Electrodirt
Roman Salzgar

There's tons more, but that should get anybody started.
J_Static 4:13 AM - 16 October, 2007
Deadmau5 (BSOD)
Dirty South
Nick Terranova (the Starkillers)
Joey Mazzola
Tocadisco
Axwell

Love those guys (above)

(no homo)

Good definition Basic
Gor 4:15 AM - 16 October, 2007
Nice guide and nice pun with your name :p
J_Static 4:16 AM - 16 October, 2007
Yea I was gonna mention that....

Should read some thing like this:

"Your BASIC Guide To House Music"

Hahaha, now that's BASIC
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:18 AM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

Fidget House is the House version of Bmore...it makes use of chopped up loops beats and vocals, with some rather glitchy sounding elements.

Sounds cool...

Any links to samples or artists?

Good read by the way.
bandoma 4:35 AM - 16 October, 2007
Wow, nice job basic. I was completely blown away when my buddy who spins house and only house played the house of pain jump around remix. It really caught me off guard b/c I've never heard house music break down into a hip hop joint like that. So I guess you're right that house music keeps on evolving.
djpuma_gemini 4:38 AM - 16 October, 2007
Thanks Basic. Maybe we should make this a sticky.
DJ Young Herrera 4:40 AM - 16 October, 2007
Nice one.
DJ Sniffles 5:19 AM - 16 October, 2007
wow...thanks man, and thanks for linking it to my thread
frost-9 5:24 AM - 16 October, 2007
Very nice summary DJ MB.. Like how you mentioned Granite & Phunk, those guys are great. I closed for them once. Unfortunately over the last few months, I've found the scene to be pretty stagnant, but hopefully it'll pick up again soon. 2004 was an excellent year for house music. I def. enjoy electro, but it seems almost anything will get signed these days.

For those looking for a more in-depth understanding of EDM and it's history, you should check out Ishkur's Guide To Electronic Music.. Some of the descriptions are hilarious. Check it out here:

www.di.fm
DJBlisk 5:30 AM - 16 October, 2007
<blisk taking notes>
AlexRage 5:37 AM - 16 October, 2007
lol @ tony arzadon listed there...just weird cuz i know him and he's listed with artists that are pretty international. good for him =]
LightsOut06 5:46 AM - 16 October, 2007
How do you guys feel about the association with homosexuality that the house movement tends to be coupled with?
DJ Young Herrera 5:53 AM - 16 October, 2007
Dunno, never thought about it. It might have something to do with the fact that music doesn't really address typical hetero themes. At least not like hip hop or rock do.

"Got no money: can't get pished. Got money: drinking too much. Can't get a bird: no chance of a ride. Got a bird: too much hassle."
frost-9 5:55 AM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
How do you guys feel about the association with homosexuality that the house movement tends to be coupled with?

How do you feel about R. Kelly pissing on 16 year old girls?
Sheeds 5:56 AM - 16 October, 2007
Very nice!

I'm getting into house and didn't know where to start.

Thanks for the subgenres of house and all that info
Sheeds 5:56 AM - 16 October, 2007
Also, can you guys list some DJs who throw down nice sets so I can search for some mixes?
DJ Sniffles 5:57 AM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Also, can you guys list some DJs who throw down nice sets so I can search for some mixes?

+ seventytwelve
Boba Tha Hut 5:58 AM - 16 October, 2007
Nice guide MB! Props for taking the time to write that guide. I enjoyed it
djskiggz 6:02 AM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

check out Richard Vision...he throws down some tight electro house sets.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:48 AM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

The motherload of AMERICAN style House - jazzy, classic, deep, etc. Not the watered down european stuff. Most of the well known DJ's past and present have mixes up there:

www.deephousepage.com

Enjoy
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:50 AM - 16 October, 2007
Oops click the Mixes link:

www.deephousepage.com

29 pages over 1400 House mixes, I think.
djnvs 8:25 AM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
The 2007 Mickey Slim remix of the House Of Pain track Jump Around was not the first track ever to do this, but it was likely the first hugely succesful track to do it

So what would you consider the old song "jump" by the movement or planet soul's "set you free" and "feel the music"?... all had tempo changes... all huge hits... not trying to start anything.. Just seriously curious as to where these would be put in the EDM categories... seeing as how all those songs were huge when I was first getting into EDM and were played at every big party I went to... I'm guessing since george acosta is a big trance guy, and he was one of the planet soul guys... it would fall under trance... but just wanna make sure..
DJ Michael Basic 9:58 AM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
lol @ tony arzadon listed there...just weird cuz i know him and he's listed with artists that are pretty international. good for him =]

Tony's making some bangin' tracks right now. I don't care who's remixing and making shit, if it's hot I'll play it. 3 of his tracks are in heavy rotation in my house sets right now so I had to mention him.

Quote:
Sounds cool...

Good read by the way.

Switch and Herve are good examples of Fidget House. Trevor Levoys, Jesse Rose, Claude Von Stroke, The Bulgarian, Crookers. Should be easy to find samples on the net.

Quote:

Fine with me...I love playing for gay people...they tip like crazy!

Quote:

I'm not going to talk about how good of a dj I might or might not be, but I definately have access to some of the newest and best music around, so I'll submit this mix for anyone who wants to hear the cutting edge Electro sound right now.

ldcpkaraoke.com

Quote:
Quote:
The 2007 Mickey Slim remix of the House Of Pain track Jump Around was not the first track ever to do this, but it was likely the first hugely succesful track to do it

So what would you consider the old song "jump" by the movement or planet soul's "set you free" and "feel the music"?... all had tempo changes... all huge hits... not trying to start anything.. Just seriously curious as to where these would be put in the EDM categories... seeing as how all those songs were huge when I was first getting into EDM and were played at every big party I went to... I'm guessing since george acosta is a big trance guy, and he was one of the planet soul guys... it would fall under trance... but just wanna make sure..

What I meant by hugely successful was more trendsetting than actually being a hit...I can probably come up with about 10 tracks total since house music really took off with big tempo drops before 2007, in the last 6 months there have been at least 30, all based on the success of the mickey slim track.
Smemtex (AoS) 10:13 AM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

Quote:
Sounds cool...

Good read by the way.

Switch and Herve are good examples of Fidget House. Trevor Levoys, Jesse Rose, Claude Von Stroke, The Bulgarian, Crookers. Should be easy to find samples on the net.

Don't forget Sinden he's right up with the first two...

www.zshare.net
Nicky Blunt 10:28 AM - 16 October, 2007
Good Job! MB for those who really want an in depth history of house music or any other type of music you should really check out the book I've just finished reading.

Bill Brewsters Last Night A DJ Saved My Life!

Goes right through from early 1920's radio dj's on shellacks to craze q-bert & Teisto so encompasses all styles reggae dub hip hop funk house garage drum & bass Grime! You name it it's all in there!

Made for a fantastic read & really taught me a whole lot about where our craft comes from & the people who made it what it is today!

If you havent read it I suggest you do!

PS I dont work for the company I just really enjoyed it!
soeasy 12:46 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

How do you feel about R. Kelly pissing on 16 year old girls?

nice reply to this. seriously...there's a club here where the format is house, bmore, electro etc. and it's mostly a straight crowd of normal guys and girls dancing their a$$es off all night and tryin to hook up at the end of the night. there is a small gay crowd that kicks it there too but who cares they're there to enjoy themselves and the music too.

it's kind of funny that some people that have never visited the club do associate it with being a gay spot because of the music but that's just ignorant. aka stop learning about the real world from your tv. my girl loves dancing and sure as hell dances more to house or 4|4 tempo stuff than anything else. i'd pick a house night over any other genre specific night because those people just wanna listen to jackin house and party!

and if a dude wants to pick up a dude then look at it like less competition for you at the end of the night. if a girl wants to go home with a girl then i hope it's not your girl unless you're down with that kinda thing!

oh and don't just go to beatport and start downloading "house" a lot of that ish is generic garbage. the uk calls their music house which is really just electro to us. find a few labels and sample their artists once you find a style you like.

the cats have some dope releases:
www.lingorecordings.com
they're on beatport too.

the sound republic, chuck love, trevor loveys, bryan jones, real time hand motion...all good jackin house cats.
Big K 1:33 PM - 16 October, 2007
I guess im lost in a time warp.
Big K 1:34 PM - 16 October, 2007
along with a bunch of old house heads
Big K 1:36 PM - 16 October, 2007
that still think house is timeless
anybody from chicago going to be at the congress hotel on the 27th
Big K 1:37 PM - 16 October, 2007
sorry for the triple post brain moving slow
Soulsonica™ 1:39 PM - 16 October, 2007
Nice post MB and a good start my man ;-)

Quote:
Right now, in 2007, Electro House is king of the house world.

That really depends on geography.

Quote:
There are many Genres within the House Category:

Here's a few more primary sub genres within house to check out:

Acid House
Garage
Disco House
Dub
Downtempo
Afro House
Broken Beat
Tech House
Minimal House
Hip House

Here's a few of my usual suspects for material:

Analog
www.tweekin.com
www.primalrecords.com
www.planetxusa.com
www.throwdownsound.com
www.dancetracks.com
www.vinyldj.com
www.juno.co.uk
www.gramaphonerecords.com
www.satelliterecords.com
www.dancerecords.com
www.deepfixrecords.com
www.calsound.com
www.ilovethedj.com
www.westendrecords.com
www.gemm.com
www.ebay.com

Digital
www.traxsource.com
www.dancetracksdigital.com
www.stompy.com
www.beatport.com
www.clickgroove.com
www.juno.co.uk
www.digivendor.com
www.playittonight.com
www.trax2burn.com
www.emusic.com
www.westendrecords.com

Here's some of my recent charts if you're interested in specif artists/titles/labels to check out:

Scotty Mac's Winter Warlock Chart • January 2006
Vibe Select - Citrus District - Dufflebag
Miles Maeda - Round Like This - Dust Traxx
All Good Funk Alliance - Pete's Sake - Funk Weapons
Troublemen - Crowd Control - Kifsa
Unknown - Assappeal - Unknown
Patchworks/Jimpster - Brothers On The Slide - Still
Bionic Bump Band - Chiggle - DotBleep
Only Freak/Solid Groove - Can't Get Away - Freerange
Buckley - The Jam - Made To Play
Todd Terje - Italian Stalion - Full Pup
Prztz - Arrebentacao - So Sound
Inner Soul - Support Your DJ - Deeply Rooted House
Bryan Jones & Scud Bloom - Devotion - Aroma
P. Lauer - To The DF - Real Soon
No Assembly Firm - Ghetto Fab 05 - Uniform

From The Vault
Earth, Wind, and Fire - Let's Groove Tonight - Sony

>>>>>

Scotty Mac's Winter Warlock Chart • February 2006
De Rigeur - Time I Got My Own Thing - Citrona
Vibe Select - Citrus District - Dufflebag
Manoo - Ayome - Real Tone
Bionic Bump Band - Chiggle - DotBleep
Southern Roots - Sultans Of Smoke (Deep House Souldiers Remix) - Headset
All Good Funk Alliance - Where I Need To Be - Funk Weapons
Kevin Yost & Horace James - Black Fuse - I!
Malcom Charles - Say What? - Gallery
Da Sunlounge - Love Thing - Romaphunk
Chuck Love - Hidden Message - One Thirty
No Assembly Firm - Ghetto Fab 05 - UniForm
Buckley - The Jam - Made To Play
Unknown - Assappeal - Unknown
Todd Terje - Italian Stalion - Full Pup
Only Freak/Solid Groove - Can't Get Away - Freerange

From The Vault
India - Love & Happiness - Strictly Rhythm

>>>>>

Scotty Mac's Winter Warlock Chart • March 2006
Vibe Travelers - Dirty Beats - Dufflebag
Kerri Chandler - Back To The Raw - Deeply Rooted House
Pete Moss - Let Me Hold You - Nordic Trax
Mark Farina - Talk Sex - Great Lakes Audio
Unknown - Saturday - Unknown
Franck Roger - Me, Myself, & I - Seasons Recordings
The Littlemen - Good Life - Amentimusic
The Girth - Master Blaster - Blue Label
Spyro Pappadopoulos - Round & Round - Blue Label
Late Night Society - Balance Within - Detour
Malcolm Charles - Say What - Gallery
Kevin Yost & Horace James - Black Fuse 2 - I!
B Original - Deep Rootz - Blockhead
Renegade Gardener - Gardeners Handbook - Robsoul

From The Vault
Funky Green Dogs From Outer Space - A Day In Habana - Murk

>>>>>

Scotty Mac's Spring Slingers Chart • April 2006
Laid - Punch Up - Symple Sound
Peven Everett - Stuck (Phil Asher Remix) - Soul Heaven
Pool Party - Nick Chacona - Unknown
Soundworm - Afrojack (Idjuit Boys Remix) - Sessions
Keith Thompson - Africa In Your Veins (Mahoota Remix) - Waking Monster
The Deep - Dom Dom (Feliciano Remix) - Deeply Rooted House
Late Night Society - Balance Within - Detour
Mark Farina - Talk Sex - Great Lakes Audio
Franck Roger - Me, Myself, & I - Seasons

From The Vault
Kerri Chandler - Atmospheres - Ibadan

>>>>>

Scotty Mac's Spring Slingers Chart • May 2006
Iz & Diz - Magnificent (Original & Fred Everything Mix) - Om
Franck Roger - Say You Love Me - Seasons
Loopity Goofs - Unknown - Black Crack
Pool Party - Nick Chacona - Unknown
Jesse Rose - You're All Over My Head - Dubsided
Keith Thompson - Africa In Your Veins (Mahoota Remix) - Waking Monster
Trackheadz - I Believe In Freedom - NRK
Mr. V - Da Bump - Vega
Parov Stellar - A Night In Torino - Etage Noir
DJ Deep - Dom Dom (Feliciano Remix) - Deeply Rooted House
Jafrosax feat. Vikter Duplaix - In The Morning - Pantone

From The Vault
Paperclip People - Throw - Planet E

>>>>>

Scotty Mac's Spring Slingers Chart • June 2006
Sunshine Jones - We Are Free - King Street
Rudoulpho - Touch Me - Ibadan
Iz & Diz - Moody - Amp
Michael Watford - So Into You (D's Alt Mix) - Osio
Ron Hall - The Way You Love Me (TSOP Mix) - Defected
Franck Roger - Say You Love Me - Seasons
Matthew Bandy - Slippin' Away - Nightshift
Warren Clarke - Jazz - Fluential
Warren Clarke - Get It - Fluential
Nick Chacona - Pool Party - Unknown
Trackheadz feat. Zaki - Feel - DNH
95 North - Do You Really Want It - Large
Matthew Bandy - Sometimes - Vista
Matthew Bandy - My Love Is You - Vista
Peven Everett - Easy Livin' - Unified

From The Vault
I:Cube - Disco Cubizm - Versatile

>>>>>

Scotty Mac's Summer Lovin' Chart • July 2006
Dorfmeister vs. Madrid De Los Austrias - Boogie No More - G Stone
ISoul8 - Speak Your World - Sonar Kollektiv
DJ Jazzy Jeff - In Time - Rapster
Reverso 68 - Tokyo Disco - Eskimo
The Girth - Chained To The Bed - Blue Label
Ezra Osborne & Jason Merle - You Know - Le Poop
Romatt - Froggy's Congaz (Matty's Mix) - Chez
Kerri Chandler - 4th Thing For Linda - Downtown 161
Alif Tree - Forgotten Places (Moodymann Remix) - Compost
Franck Roger - Inside You Mind - Seasons Limited
Unlimited Touch - I Hear Music In The Streets - Unknown
Scott Wozniak - Can I Hear The Drum (83 West Mix) - 83 West
A Hundred Birds - Black Water - Wave
Raw Artistic Soul - Zaab - Go Go
Soulmagic - Soulmagic (Morten Trust 2006 Remix) - Soulmagic
Michael Watford - So Into You (D's Alt Mix) - Osio
Rudoulpho - Touch Me - Soulfuric
Ron Hall - The Way You Love Me (Dim's TSOP Mix) - Defected
Peven Everett - Easy Livin' (Lava Mix) - Unified
Mark Grant feat. Donna Blakely - U Can Lift Me Up (Boom Boom Room Mix) - Blackstone

From The Vault
Nu Yorican Soul - Mind Fluid - Nervous

>>>>>

Scotty Mac's Summer Lovin' Chart • August 2006
DJ Technics - Chant Of The Kariboo (Brazilian Mix) - Code Red
Karu - Amazing Place (Complete Album) - Little Angel
Jesse Rose & Henrik Schwarz - Stop, Look, Listen (Jesse Mix) - Front Room
Steal Vybe - Cities Hope For A New Arora - Sucasa
The Muthafunkaz feturing Mark Evans - I Don't Want You Anymore - Soul Heaven
Franck Roger - Chase - Seasons Limited
Franck Roger - K-Russel - Seasons Limited
Santos - Time Of Our Lives (Atjazz Love Soul Remix) Yoruba
Kerri Chandler - The Machine - Max Tracks
Tortured Soul - Don't Hold Me Down (Quintin Harris Remix) - R2
Liquid People - Son Of Dragon - Soul Heaven
LY - Back To Zanzibar (Sublevel Edit) - King Street
Alif Tree - Forgotten Places (Moodymann Remix) - Compost
ISoul8 - Speak Your World - Sonar Kollektiv
Reverso 68 - Tokyo Disco - Eskimo
DJ Homewrecker - Penalty Box - Scoreless After Two
The Girth - Chained To The Bed - Blue Label
Ezra Osborne & Jason Merle - Gold Disc - Le Poop
Darren Abrams - Loose Piano (Malik Pittman Remix) - Third Ear
A Hundred Birds - Black Water - Wave

From The Vault
Paper Issue One - Downtime - Paper

>>>>>

Scotty Mac's Summer Lovin' Chart • September 2006
Alton Miller & Boddhi Satva - See The Day (Original Mix) - Atai Music
Raw Artistic Soul - Zaab (Main Mix) - GoGo Music
EL - Walk Away (Reel Soul Vocal Mix) - Stingily Music
Dr. Delay - Rule Of Thumb (Parts 1&2) - Funk Weapons
Solvent - My Radio - Ghostly International
Mustaf - So Salvador (Demarkus Lewis Mix) - Agave Records
Joe Bataan - Chick-A-Boom (Chris Jass Remix) - ESL Music
Da Sunlounge - After The Funk - Tango Recordings
Behind The Groove featuring Carla Prather - What You Gonna Do - Loveslap
Southside Breaks Crew - Freshest Jam - Swedish Brandy Productions
Louie Balo - Ba Ba Lou - Battlewax
Spirit Catcher - Move Closer - Winding Road
DJ Pope - Oobaye Oobaya (Tony's Groove Mix) - Poji Records
DJ Pope featuring Ed Ramsey - In Time - Poji Records
Kroak & Smoak - One Of These Days - Jalapeno Records
Blaze - We Are One (Vocal Edit) - King Street Sounds

From The Vault
DJ Dozia - Pop Culture - Ovum

>>>>>

Scotty Mac's Fall Flavor Chart • October 2006
Bobby Bounce - Bodies In Motion - Funky Formula
Jimpster - A Love Like This (Hipp-e Remix) - Freerange
Darren Abrams - Loose Piano (Malik Pittman Remix) - Third Ear Recordings
Rockers Theme - Fred Everything & J.T. Donaldson - Freerange
Ok Ma - BwoyGal - (Lanu Remix) - R2 Records
The Strike Boys - Vida La Revolucion - Unknown
Spacer - Cursory Rub - Palm Pictures
Cuica - Why Not Samba - Ubiquity Records
Subway - Journey - Sunday Best
Uneaq - Pico de Gallo - Om Records
Uneaq - Watch Out - Nightshift Recordings
Tim Fuller - Beautiful - Bombay Records
Mo Horizons - Drum Boogaloo (Fort Knox Five Latin Mix) - Unknown
Gregor Salto featuring Helena Mendes - Mas Que Nada - G-Rex
Steal Vybe - ESP (Main Mix) - King Street Sounds
Nova Frontiera - Abra A Boca - Unknown
Atjazz - Fifth Quarter - (Presence Mix) - Mantis Recordings
Earth Is The Place - Verna Francis (Nathan Haines Remix) - Chillifunk
Evan Adamafio - Africa - Rauson Music
Vernell de Long & Hebegebe - I Go Now (Lawnchair Generals Mix) - Bombay Records

From The Vault
Romanthony - Bring U Up - Black Male Records

>>>>>

Scotty Mac's Fall Flavor Chart • November 2006
The Wikkamen Project - Down On It (SOW Edit) - Soundmen On Wax
Al Morioku - Incorporated - Soundmen On Wax
Blacksoul & Rithma - Not Another Love Song (Da Sunlounge Remix) - Blacksoul Music
Leo Young - A True American Hero - Tummy Touch Records
Jamanta Crew - La Vida Loco - AJ Recordings
Matt Shrewd - Keep It Goin' (Matt Shrewd) - Guesthouse
Mossa - Town Hall (Eloi Brunelle Remix) - Guesthouse
Dennis Ferrer & Kenny Bobien - Grateful (DF Vox Remix) - Sfere
LC - Shake That - All House Music
Basil - Time To Be Free (Kei Sugano Tribute Mix) - King Street Sounds
Amplified Orchestra - Shake N' Dance (Vox Mix) - Unknown
1 Luv - Black Daylight (Slope Remix) - Yoruba Records
Los Hermanos - Birth Of 3000/Son Dos - Unknown
Mighty Dub Katz - Guaguana (Ashley Beedle Heavy Mix) - Southern Fried Records
Uneaq - Jealousy - Nightshift

From The Vault
Komputer Kidz - Rude Train - Maxi Records

>>>>>

Scotty Mac's Fall Flavor Chart • December 2006
Forty Thieves - Point To The Joint - Smash Hit Music
Black Joy - Moustache (Franck Roger Remix) - NRK
Dr. Bob Jones & The Interns - It's About Time (Surgery Mix) - Chilifunk
Ralf Gum - Warrior (Raw Artistic Soul Vox Dub) - GOGO Music
Mr. V - Make Peace - Vega Records
John Larner - Acid Jack - Dot Bleep
I'm Just A Sucka - West Phillips - Smash Hit Music
The Moves - In The Morning - Central Park Recordings
DJ Homewrecker - Shine - Scoreless After 2
Kerri Chandler - In The Morning (Raw Vox Mix) - Bigga Sounds
Leon Louder - Skin Deep - Body Language
Chris Grant - Soap Opera - Spatula City

From The Vault
Spiritual Experience - Stretch My Hand - Tribal America

Scotty Mac • January 2007 Chart
Mr. V - Make Peace - Vega Records
Jimpster - Aura - Das Modular
Sterling Ensemble - Life Ain't What It Seems (Quentin Harris Remix) - Vega Records
Inland Knights - Not Crazy - Drop Music
Black Joy - Untitled - Freerange Records
Black Joy - Untitled (Solid Groove Remix) - Freerange Records
Phil T Project & D Layna - Love Commandments (David Ospina Mix) - Open Bar
Phil T Project & D Layna - Love Commandments (Oscar O & Enrico Mantini Mix) - Open Bar
Da Sunlounge - Feel What You Want - Flavor
Nate Manic - Arcade Beats (Lego's Ol' School Mix) - Poontin Muzik
CN Williams - Bad Mamma Jamma - Reelhouse
Vincent Montana Jr. - You Are My Everything - Philly Sound Works
Trackheadz - Feel (Mr.V Vocal Remix) - NRK
LC - High & Rising - Below The Radar
LC - Purple - Below The Radar
Jovonn - Can't Hold it Back - Deeply Rooted House
Andre Harris - What I Feel Inside (Vocal Dub)- Large
Swirl People & Ingrid Hakanson - I'll Be A Freak For You - Aroma
No Assembly Firm - Rebels With A Cause - Dot Bleep
Jada - Love Is (Love Is In The Air Vocal Mix) - Code Red

From The Vault
Black Magic - Freedom (Strong Vocal Mix) - Strictly Rhythm

Scotty Mac • February 2007 Chart
Jovonn - Can't Hold it Back - Deeply Rooted House
Frankman - Pussy Galore Nightfever - Freude am Tanzen
Ty Black - Tru Love (Darryl James DFA Mix) - Jellybean Soul
Novisa & Andrea Monteiro - Big Blue Bossa - Mobile Global
Mark Grant - There 4 Me (Soul Bounce Mix) - Blackstone
Kingpin Cartel - Ghetto - Sonar Kollektiv
Mark August - Warm - Innervision
Scope - Strung Out - Urbantorque Recordings
Vincent Montana Jr. - You Are My Everything - Philly Sound Works
Aardvarck - Aardbij (Quinces Inspiration Mix) - Rush Hour
Tazma Funk - Devastation (Mind Travel Mix) - MAW
Mpho Skeef - What Hearts Share - Genuine

From The Vault
Boz Skaggs - Lowdown - Sony

Scotty Mac • March 2007 Chart
Tim Landslide & Don Freeman - Conundrum (Danny Krivits Restless Edit) - Sick Trumpet
Big Brooklyn Red - He Moves (Deep Haven Remix) - Deep Haven Music
Arnold Jarvis - Justified - Deep Haven Music
Jaque - Love Will Save The Day (Union Square Solo Mix) - Jellybean Soul
Trailmix - Dutch Crunch (Joshua's What It Iz Remix) - Tweekin
Papa Z Trio - Black Cash - Super Dude
Sex In Dallas & Biladoll - Hit Back Bow (Isolee Remix) - Record Makers
RyRalio DJs - Nothing Special (Bandmaster's Flight Remix) - RyRalio Records
Makossa & Megablast - Kunaka - G Stone
Pulaski Park - Gonna Make You Feel (Don T's Dfunk Remix) - Left Hand Man
Genetix - Love Ya Life (Main Mix) - Eargasmic Recordings
Audion - Mouth To Mouth (Hot Breath Treatment) - Spectral
Joshua Harvey & Trevor Loveys - Foxxy (Switch Remix) - Dubsided
The Girth - The One - Blue Label
Nick Chacona & Anthony Mansfield - Lagavulin - Hector Works

From The Vault
Columbian Drum Cartel - The Shipment - Copyright Recordings

Scotty Mac • April 2007 Chart
Bitter Sweet - Moving Forward (Atjazz Remix) - Quango
Ian Friday - Carib's Leap (Unreleased Twisted Musicpella Remix) - West End Records
Black Fuse - When The Day Is Done - i! Records
DJ Spen & The Muthafunkaz - It's So Easy ( 12" Vox Mix) - Code Red
Tim Landslide & Don Freeman - Conundrum (Danny Krivits Restless Edit) - Sick Trumpet
Bryan Jones - Pictures & Sounds - i! Records
DJ Fudge - You Know Who - KIF
Trackheadz - Kompakt - Freerange
Garage Family - Mr. Jazz - Unified
Franky Boise - Black Music (Marlon D's Eastside Remix) - Chez
U.C. Heights & Anthony Flanagan - Chilifunk
Syren - My First Love (Sole Channel Vox Mix) - Home Soul Recordings
Jingover - The Mole - Wagon Repair
In Flagranti - In The Silver White Box - Gomma
The Haggis Horns - Traveller (Parts 1 & 2) - First Word Records

From The Vault
DJ Harvey/Persuasion - The Bone (Latin Power Dub) - Open

And here's a liittle something fellow house soldier Jay Tripwire recently wrote that accurately summarizes the way many house heads feel about house.

How I Feel About House Music:

We live in an age that is full of consumption, greed and false worship of weak idols.

People listen to the radio, and it is filled with depravity and a message of consumerism.

People watch these music videos that are full of false glamour and exhibit decadent lifestyles.

These poor souls have had their minds corrupted on a sonic level, their dreams and ambitions are not real, they seek a dark path to an empty hollow existence.

There are those of us who see this, and understand this, we work for a better way of life that is about the soul and about the spirit, we live to broaden our minds and open ourselves to a true sound, we understand all forms of music, and we amalgamate these forms into 1 true sound. Many of us have devoted our full lives to spreading this message, and many of us toil and work hard to keep perpetuating our message.

We are the children of house music, and as the children of house music we have a duty, a calling if you will to spread our word and not to fall prey to the words of a foul world, that is filled with racism, depravity, corruption, and war.

At this time we must call onto ourselves to see the bigger picture house music has, and the original message it is designed for and live by that code and to spread the word.

We must remain unified and not be so fractional in our views of what is house music, because house music is everything. House music has no true definition other than its ability to bring us together, to unify such diverse people into 1 true vibe and 1 global meaning.

Some of you reading this may not see house this way, but you need to open your eyes and ears and let it inside of you. You need to let go of what society tells you even more, the fact you listen to house is the biggest step to an open mind and the choice into the right direction.

Each and every one of us now more than ever to has a duty to uphold, to spread the word and live the way we are supposed to be. We are community and we have to start acting more like brothers and sisters and unify.

Some of us have become jaded, some of you have let drugs and other substances get in the way of understanding the message, and I am no individual to make any such judgment towards anyone, because house is not about judgment, religion, or other such binding things. You have a duty to your soul to let go of these things that hold you back from the journey to enlightenment and the stepping stone is house music.

House music is supposed to open our eyes and minds to the real world, house is often a catalyst to people becoming enriched with a wide array of expression and freedom ,and by going out and celebrating our lives thru dance and social interaction we break the shackles and the oppression of our governments and cleanse ourselves of the corrupt messages that are constantly trying to brainwash each and every one of us.

I call on each and every one of you to think about what you have read and remember the true meaning of house music and live in the way in which this movement really is about. Be true, be unified and stand up against the powers that be, because our house music culture is based on it. Our parties were renegade and our world was mystical, we truly lived underground. Now more than ever our ranks are fractioned, instead of there being a place where all house lovers congregate they only choose certain styles of house when in truth we should all embrace every aspect and come together in the true nature of house as a whole, not as a close minded fraction of its individual parts.

Please help in spreading the word, and perpetuating its original message of universal love and harmony towards all people of all races of all creeds and sexual orientations. If we do not act now in coming forth and being one we will lose everything so many of us have fought and sacrificed for in the name and meaning of a musical message and one of the greatest movements of our generation.

Please pass this message on and do your best to stay true.
Nicky Blunt 1:43 PM - 16 October, 2007
Damn that mofo wrote a book! Good read tho!

Good job dude!
Soulsonica™ 1:43 PM - 16 October, 2007
Oh, BTW, contrary to popular belief, Tiesto is NOT house.
Nicky Blunt 1:45 PM - 16 October, 2007
although I have to say house focuses on the happy side where hip hop/rap (lets not get in to that debate) focuses more on the negative side!

Both are needed to give an objective view!
mobius909 1:49 PM - 16 October, 2007
good lord, that was one of the longest single posts i've ever seen.

btw, my first recollection of major tempo change was done by moby in the early 90's (at least with EDM), also orbital. it's too early to remember which tracks, but both orbital and moby both have done this.
DPR250R 1:49 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

Yeah... when I read that part of Basic's post I didn't fully agree at first.

To me certain electronic tracks ARE timeless and a couple 10 year old tracks can still rock a crowd.

But I remember a time when I was just getting into the scene (1993-1994) where if I heard the same track a couple times I was done with it and wanted to hear something new. In my head I would think why is this guy playing such old shit? When in reality it had only been out for a month or so.

Now when I go out I want to hear everything I consider to be GOOD... old... new... whatever.

But like he states... certain crowds only want hear the newest shit.

Good post Basic.
mobius909 1:50 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

+1,000,000
Nicky Blunt 1:50 PM - 16 October, 2007
lil louis french kiss! Is also another prime example & how old is that track!
Soulsonica™ 1:55 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed. Quality house is most definately timeless. A good house DJ can play solid house tracks that are 5,10,20 years old and rock a crowd into a frenzy if he/she knows how to program them so that they still sound fresh to even the most experienced "discerning" house head.
Soulsonica™ 1:59 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

lol. Sorry about that. Ever since I've been on this forum I've pretty much stuck to technical type posts because it appeared that most of the focus here music wise was geared towards hip hop, top40, etc. so I never had much to contribute.
mobius909 2:00 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
The 2007 Mickey Slim remix of the House Of Pain track Jump Around

I heard Mastiksoul play that track about 6 or so months ago. Did he ever release a remix for that?
DJ Young Herrera 2:08 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

A-effin-men!
DPR250R 2:09 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

or Techno.
mobius909 2:19 PM - 16 October, 2007
or hip hop.
Soulsonica™ 2:20 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

or Techno.

I almost added that part: i2.photobucket.com

This one has always mystified me. Yes, there is stellar quality techno out there, but how/why it constantly gets confused with house is beyond me. Wish I had a nickel for every lost, drunk, soulless, misguided girl I've heard say: "Do you have anything other than techno?".
DJ Young Herrera 2:22 PM - 16 October, 2007
I wish I had a dime for every time I saw a lost, drunk, soulless, misguided girl wave around led lights and move like a hippy to the "techno" :-P

I usually get on the mic and tell them to stop it, then put down the mic and act like it wasn't me. they usually have the greatest look on their face. haha.
Soulsonica™ 2:23 PM - 16 October, 2007
Here's one of those requests mentioned above caught on film (NSFW): s2.photobucket.com
DPR250R 2:28 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

or Techno.

I almost added that part: i2.photobucket.com

This one has always mystified me. Yes, there is stellar quality techno out there, but how/why it constantly gets confused with house is beyond me. Wish I had a nickel for every lost, drunk, soulless, misguided girl I've heard say: "Do you have anything other than techno?".

Thats a funny pic...

There was a long discussion about this awhile back.

Someone asked for "Techno" songs to play at a wedding. It started a whole "This is techno... this isn't" debate...

It pretty much came down to the general public calling anything with a 4/4 time sig "Techno"

I still remember the first person out my friends that said to me "I like trance, house is OK... but i don't like techno." Happened to be a cute girl who I still am crushin on to this day... lol...

Just because she knew the difference by her ear... not by artist or track names. I found it to be really sexy.
mobius909 2:29 PM - 16 October, 2007
had you guys ever played those flash games online like "slap the raver" and "raver meltdown"?

OMG, i have to find the links to those.
DPR250R 2:31 PM - 16 October, 2007
DPR250R 2:33 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
(NSFW)

Ummm... I guess I know what the stands for now.
DJ Young Herrera 2:40 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
(NSFW)

Ummm... I guess I know what the stands for now.

I deciphered it too late.
Nicky Blunt 2:43 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Oh, BTW, contrary to popular belief, Tiesto is not god jesus buddah or any other idol false or otherwise.
Soulsonica™ 2:46 PM - 16 October, 2007
An oldie, but still a goodie: Watchyoutube.com
mobius909 2:52 PM - 16 October, 2007
The Real DJ Maestro 3:07 PM - 16 October, 2007
Question, if i am looking for house music..... What names should i be looking for, cuz only house music i really know well is that Baltimore Club, and Stuff like Perculator Dig, i aint really heavy into the EDM scene
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:08 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

btw, my first recollection of major tempo change was done by moby in the early 90's (at least with EDM), also orbital. it's too early to remember which tracks, but both orbital and moby both have done this.

The first was Lil Louis - French Kiss in my opinion...

Started it all.

unless you count the tempo drift on the old drum machines...

PS. That Fidget House is kinda cool.
Nicky Blunt 3:10 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

The first was Lil Louis - French Kiss in my opinion...

Started it all.

Who hooo!!!!!

My knowledge of house music isnt as bad as I thought It was!!!!!!

unless you count the tempo drift on the old drum machines...

PS. That Fidget House is kinda cool.
Nicky Blunt 3:11 PM - 16 October, 2007
Damn nut my posting still looks like it was done by timmay from south park!
Nicky Blunt 3:11 PM - 16 October, 2007
nut = but
DJ Young Herrera 3:12 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Question, if i am looking for house music..... What names should i be looking for, cuz only house music i really know well is that Baltimore Club, and Stuff like Perculator Dig, i aint really heavy into the EDM scene

Dawg, did you read this thread?
mobius909 3:12 PM - 16 October, 2007
true, french kiss is up there too. also, higher state of consciousness, but that was after french kiss for sure.

art, check out bryan jones and mastiksoul. you'll like that kinda stuff i think.
The Real DJ Maestro 3:19 PM - 16 October, 2007
no aint read it..... Just thread jacked, cus i can do that..... yeah i read the first part, but is that all i need for the basics of house music
DJ Young Herrera 3:21 PM - 16 October, 2007
I think that what's been posted is a great way to get into current stuff. If you're going from the beginning of house, then i don't know.
The Real DJ Maestro 3:23 PM - 16 October, 2007
Ok, so this is all current, good deal........ where should i look for this at... Is there a recommended site
The Real DJ Maestro 3:31 PM - 16 October, 2007
I don't read.... Reading is for suckers, stop posting massive amounts of words, who wants to read all that anyways. Just give me the info and let me run with it. Dig, nah seriously thou, i aint about to read the whole thread if its old
The Real DJ Maestro 3:33 PM - 16 October, 2007
and that was the longest post i ever seen the one you posted early.... Damn my eyes hurt kid
DJ Young Herrera 3:33 PM - 16 October, 2007
C'mon now, you're giving southerners a bad name...
mobius909 3:39 PM - 16 October, 2007
i didn't post it.
The Real DJ Maestro 3:39 PM - 16 October, 2007
Actually i'm not a southerner....... i'm a staten island nyc dude. Not a southerner at all fam, i live out here. I love it but don't get it twisted
The Real DJ Maestro 3:40 PM - 16 October, 2007
whomever posted it..... WTF, is there a limit to how long a actual post should be GEEZ
DJ Young Herrera 3:44 PM - 16 October, 2007
I never learned to read!!!!!!!(waynes world)
shiestO! 4:00 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
nut 8=D butt
DJ Michael Basic 6:14 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed. Quality house is most definately timeless. A good house DJ can play solid house tracks that are 5,10,20 years old and rock a crowd into a frenzy if he/she knows how to program them so that they still sound fresh to even the most experienced "discerning" house head.

Well, house is timeless in the way that any other genre is timeless...when I'm playing hiphop/top40 I can still set the room on fire with those intro drums to Bel Biv Devoe's Poison, or Salt and Peppa's Push it...but unless I was doing a specialty 80s or 90s night, I couldn't play that shit all night and rock a club.

It's the same with house, though there is a popular misconception otherwise. If I'm doing a house night and all I play are classics, or even stuff that's 6-8 months old, nomatter how amazing a DJ or programmer I am, the crowd will be itching for something fresh.

Many of the uninitiated think that since a lot of house has no vocals, people don't really know what song is what and as long as the beat is rockin' they don't care what tracks you play. This is simply not true...that's what I was getting at with that statement.
FunkyRob 6:30 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I'm actually quite fond of the "French Kiss" vocal remix by Lil' Louis circa 1989 (or so). Did the tempo slow down with some female doing some orgasmic sounds.
DJBlisk 6:32 PM - 16 October, 2007
What do you guys think of that SF Disco house sound that was big a couple of years back? julius papp, kaskade, etc. etc.

I hated it.
DJ Michael Basic 6:33 PM - 16 October, 2007
I like kaskade for chillin' music...I might play some of that stuff between 9 and 10 if I'm doin a 9 to 2 gig.
Thundercat 6:54 PM - 16 October, 2007
My slice of house revolves orbitally around simle deep house. If you wanted try to nail my house style down, you could peep Ishkurs joint www.di.fm (also linked above) my sound consists primarily of Classic, Garage, Deep, Funky, Latin, Tribal and I have a certain love for that Minimalist Microhouse.

As popular as it is, I am not much for the new Electro House sound. I don't hate it, just not my steelo. =)
Beale Dabbs 7:11 PM - 16 October, 2007
I'm finding that a lot of the people that were tugging on you to spin dirty bass electro are now starting to tire of it. It's worn it's self out pretty quick. What I'm starting to hear a lot is what I call tick tock tech, Dubfire's Roadkill, Axwell's mix of I Feel For You, Mark Knight's mixes of Rollercoaster and Get Dumb. Very short, percussive arpeggios with some roots in old techno. I'm starting hear it creep into the more housey stuff now, too.
dj_soo 7:51 PM - 16 October, 2007
pffft - that house of pain remix is soooo 4 months ago.

(i kid)
Mr. Goodkat 7:57 PM - 16 October, 2007
thats a pretty shitty history of house. start with "they used to have parties at the Paradise Garage, a gay bar, and there was no 'House' music played.
djnvs 8:20 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
pffft - that house of pain remix is soooo 4 months ago.

(i kid)

Hahahahahahaha
djnvs 8:22 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
thats a pretty shitty history of house. start with "they used to have parties at the Paradise Garage, a gay bar, and there was no 'House' music played.

I love how people are quick to put someone down for something....

At least he tried... if you can come up with a better one then by all means...lets hear it.
Crickett 8:29 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

Perculator is'nt Baltimore..Thats Chicago style house-Cajmere pretty much invented it in the early 90's-
Chicago house is the "ONLY" real House music.

Pumpin from Detroit knows whats up-What ya'll cats know about the Hot mix "5"?

The rest of the stuff is all a bunch of spinoffs.

Electro/Techno/Euro/Progressive all of that.
Crickett 8:30 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm actually quite fond of the "French Kiss" vocal remix by Lil' Louis circa 1989 (or so). Did the tempo slow down with some female doing some orgasmic sounds.

Now that was a classic Chicago house track!
mobius909 8:34 PM - 16 October, 2007
the story of house music...

once upon a time there was a gay bar called paradise garage. larry levan changed a light bulb in the middle of the night during peak club hours. the end.
djnvs 8:35 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

Perculator is'nt Baltimore..Thats Chicago style house-Cajmere pretty much invented it in the early 90's-
Chicago house is the "ONLY" real House music

Dude... I love chicago house... I have a couple of hot mix tapes that I transfered to cd for a friend of mine... shit was hot... I miss that type of house..
mobius909 8:35 PM - 16 October, 2007
haha, i saw a hot mix 5 license plate in front of sushi samba the other night... wonder which one it was.
djnvs 8:38 PM - 16 October, 2007
Lol... so was b96 really as dope as everyone made it out to be or was it all hype?

I heard there was another dope station that played house but can't remember the station
DJ Michael Basic 8:38 PM - 16 October, 2007
I don't remember ever posting a "history of house music."

This is a "how can I get into current house music as a non house DJ" guide.
Thundercat 8:42 PM - 16 October, 2007
MB, it's rare that we can have a house music discussion on the forums that doesn't simply turn into a Tiesto sux, take your glow sticks and play with KaGeN's LSD turntables thread.

Just roll with it... =)
sweetL 8:43 PM - 16 October, 2007
nice breakdown.

that makes me want to do something similar... i think i might do something similar!
Crickett 8:50 PM - 16 October, 2007
WBMX was the station...

B96 came after BMX went under.
Those were the house days..

I love the fact most people think they really know about House...Cats think it was invented by Daft punk or Tiesto-LMAO

It's like saying Hip Hop was invented by Will Smith.

The young cats need to understand the original roots of the genre and get familiar with it.

You want real house look up.

Ralphi Rosario
Kenny Jammin Jason
Farley the Jackmaster.
DJ Deeon
Robert Armani
Pierre
Cajmere-or to you new guys (Green Velvet)
Todd Terry
DJ Sneak
Marshall Jefferson
Lil Louis
Chip-E
DJBlisk 8:51 PM - 16 October, 2007
whats Deep Dish then?
Dj_KaGeN 8:52 PM - 16 October, 2007
Nice read..... Fidget house?, damnit.... some new shit popped up when I wasn't lookin.
djnvs 8:53 PM - 16 October, 2007
Those are all the cats I waslistening to when I got into house... all good stuff..
mobius909 8:53 PM - 16 October, 2007
if i'm not mistaken, deep dish was the european version. (without looking it up)
Dj_KaGeN 8:54 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
whats Deep Dish then?

I call it Commercial House (which I'm my sorting means a hip hop cat is playing it, has played and is fucking dragging that track through the mud, and the only reason to keep it is to get an OC bitch to dance.) How's that?
djnvs 8:55 PM - 16 October, 2007
how do you guys feel about all that old hip house?.. Like too kool chris, white knight and kool rocksteady
sweetL 8:58 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

i would like to submit that, that is a shockingly american way of looking at it.

now, i dont wanna be racist about it, but unfortunately that is often a fitting stereotype. in the same way that 'only american hiphop is real hip hop, or worse, only new york hiphop is real hiphop'.

with as much offence as i can muster without being ban-worthy, you need to open your ears more, theres a whole load of house music out there that will blow your mind if you arent so close minded about it, the same goes for hiphop.

the same goes for drum and bass. predominantly west london characters were involved from day one... and everyone else caught on. america, really, really late.

sticking with that analogy....

its not only unfair to say 'only west london drum and bass is real drum and bass'.. its probably one of the most obtuse, ridiculous, ignorant and flippant things a music lover or and especially a dj (supposed to be KNOWN for knowing the good music) could spout from his or her respective cakehole.

im not denying that chicago started it, but suggesting that only real house comes from chicago is as ridiculous as saying real drum and bass only comes from west london (and therefore, not a weird 28 year old welsh feller... ok, a joke that noone is gonna get, nevermind)
Beale Dabbs 8:58 PM - 16 October, 2007
Hey, that's were I file my Deep Dish tracks, too!
Crickett 8:59 PM - 16 October, 2007
Chris was a DJ (Not a good one) and Knight was the Vanilla ice of his time.

Rock and Fast Eddie held it down.
As a matter of fact Eddie Spins down in Miami Beach.

Cat is hella DJ.

Hip House 89 (Julian Jumpin Perez Dub) was straight fiya...
I still play it today...Everybody here in Chicago goes crazy.
AlexRage 9:00 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
if i'm not mistaken, deep dish was the european version. (without looking it up)

umm, deep dish is two producers from the washington dc...what are you talking about, lol?
DJBlisk 9:00 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
whats Deep Dish then?

I call it Commercial House (which I'm my sorting means a hip hop cat is playing it, has played and is fucking dragging that track through the mud, and the only reason to keep it is to get an OC bitch to dance.) How's that?

Please! deep dishes "flashdance", was followed by some bookashade track and of a course a bmore version of britney's gimme more at bank heist.

hahahahaha.

haters.
DJ Michael Basic 9:01 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

Be that as it may, Sharam has this remix of Motley Crue's Home Sweet Home that I'd do a lot of groveling to get my hands on...unfortunately he isn't giving it out to anybody.
djnvs 9:02 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
whats Deep Dish then?

Commercial or not... if its a banging track, I'm playing it...

But I'm not a huge deep dish fan
DJBlisk 9:02 PM - 16 October, 2007
there is a particular black girl dj from chicago who is ridiculously funky.
mobius909 9:02 PM - 16 October, 2007
couldn't hate it more, but it holds some weight. every once in a while fast eddie will get a spin.
Crickett 9:03 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i would like to submit that, that is a shockingly american way of looking at it.

now, i dont wanna be racist about it, but unfortunately that is often a fitting stereotype. in the same way that 'only american hiphop is real hip hop, or worse, only new york hiphop is real hiphop'.

with as much offence as i can muster without being ban-worthy, you need to open your ears more, theres a whole load of house music out there that will blow your mind if you arent so close minded about it, the same goes for hiphop.

the same goes for drum and bass. predominantly west london characters were involved from day one... and everyone else caught on. america, really, really late.

sticking with that analogy....

its not only unfair to say 'only west london drum and bass is real drum and bass'.. its probably one of the most obtuse, ridiculous, ignorant and flippant things a music lover or and especially a dj (supposed to be KNOWN for knowing the good music) could spout from his or her respective cakehole.

im not denying that chicago started it, but suggesting that only real house comes from chicago is as ridiculous as saying real drum and bass only comes from west london (and therefore, not a weird 28 year old welsh feller... ok, a joke that noone is gonna get, nevermind)

If you go back and read my post. It says....

The young cats need to understand the original roots of the genre and get familiar with it.

I'm not discounting what your playing.

Im saying-This is where the genre started. And where all current forms of this music have spunoff from.
DJBlisk 9:03 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Be that as it may, Sharam has this remix of Motley Crue's Home Sweet Home that I'd do a lot of groveling to get my hands on...unfortunately he isn't giving it out to anybody.

somebody know somebody who's friends with somebody...

hehehehe
DJ Michael Basic 9:04 PM - 16 October, 2007
I know all those people, and they can't get it either.
Dj_KaGeN 9:05 PM - 16 October, 2007
ok, my smartass answer isn't going to help - so let me correct my self, slighty.

Anything associated with EDM under any phylum of house, acceptable to play to a hip hop floor, is now sorted INSTANTLY to Commercial. If it going to get that REPETITIVE play, like shiny disco balls, one more time - etc.... it's no longer a "HOUSE" track. No true HOUSE CROWD is going to consider it acceptable to play it.. You simply must comprehend that fact that house heads like new, unheard of, original, powerful, moving, creative..... not beat to shit tracks.
djnvs 9:06 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Chris was a DJ (Not a good one) and Knight was the Vanilla ice of his time.

Rock and Fast Eddie held it down.
As a matter of fact Eddie Spins down in Miami Beach.

Cat is hella DJ.

Hip House 89 (Julian Jumpin Perez Dub) was straight fiya...
I still play it today...Everybody here in Chicago goes crazy.

Can you tell me why Alex Peace is rapping on all his tracks now?... I mean, "I dominate breakloops" was dope...but come on...
Beale Dabbs 9:07 PM - 16 October, 2007
This whole business that Chicago house is the only house sends me back to nineties to conversations that went like this:

Hipster A: Have you heard the new Pavement?

Hipster B: Fuck Pavement, they totally sold out. Have you heard the new Sebadoh? Lou Barlow is amazing...

You may replace the Pavement, Sebadoh and Lou's names with names from whatever scene you'd like and it'd be the same conversation. People get too precious about their idea of what music should be. Using the Chicago house is the only house logic would have rock frozen at Sun Records first few releases or Jazz frozen at Louis Armstrong. Shit evolves and thank god for that or it would be a pretty boring world.
sweetL 9:07 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
If you go back and read my post. It says....

I'm not discounting what your playing.

Im saying-This is where the genre started. And where all current forms of this music have spunoff from.

i did miss that line amongst everything else you said, chances are someone else did too... apologies for going off on one, but it really does look like you're suggesting that its only worth listening to chicago house, and that everything else is just a watered down spinoff...
Soulsonica™ 9:07 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
whats Deep Dish then?

Currently they are more mainstream progressive house. They used to be deep/tribal-esque house. This transition seams to happens a LOT as DJs become more popular for some reason.

Anyway, speaking of progressive:

"Now as we move into the new millenium some people think the progression of House has turned into Progessive but we all know that Progressive aint progress and progessive aint House....do you know House?" -- Todd Gardner
Crickett 9:09 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
This whole business that Chicago house is the only house sends me back to nineties to conversations that went like this:

Hipster A: Have you heard the new Pavement?

Hipster B: Fuck Pavement, they totally sold out. Have you heard the new Sebadoh? Lou Barlow is amazing...

You may replace the Pavement, Sebadoh and Lou's names with names from whatever scene you'd like and it'd be the same conversation. People get too precious about their idea of what music should be. Using the Chicago house is the only house logic would have rock frozen at Sun Records first few releases or Jazz frozen at Louis Armstrong. Shit evolves and thank god for that or it would be a pretty boring world.

Good point.

Think of it this way..
We all know Hip Started in New York?
Same with this topic.

House music originated from Chicago.

Does anyone disagree with that?
mobius909 9:10 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

i'm gonna guess dj heather.

and atta boy kagen, spoken like a true heeeeed.
DJBlisk 9:10 PM - 16 October, 2007
this sounds parallel to hiphop djs discussing rap music.
sweetL 9:10 PM - 16 October, 2007
incidentally, i agree with the house thing.

much of house is disposable. not that its BAD, but its shelf-life is short. there are few genuine classics, among the field of house... unfortunately, most possible classics get mullered with remix versions, cover versions, which then get completely destroyed.

mason - exceeder... was heavy, until "1, 2, 3, 4... baby its me if you want some more... ahhhh" etc absolutely mullered it into the ground.
DJBlisk 9:11 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

i'm gonna guess dj heather.

and atta boy kagen, spoken like a true heeeeed.

thats her. she's dope.
Beale Dabbs 9:11 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
"Now as we move into the new millenium some people think the progression of House has turned into Progessive but we all know that Progressive aint progress and progessive aint House....do you know House?" -- Todd Gardner

Man, I've always hated that kind of house purist chin scratcher snobbery. Do you really want to turn house into museum music or do you want to see it grow and evolve?
DJ Michael Basic 9:12 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
incidentally, i agree with the house thing.

much of house is disposable. not that its BAD, but its shelf-life is short. there are few genuine classics, among the field of house... unfortunately, most possible classics get mullered with remix versions, cover versions, which then get completely destroyed.

mason - exceeder... was heavy, until "1, 2, 3, 4... baby its me if you want some more... ahhhh" etc absolutely mullered it into the ground.

Great example...the track you refer to..."Perfect Exceeder" actually came out as a Karaoke track...you know shit got commercial when that happens.
mobius909 9:13 PM - 16 October, 2007
not if it's going to evolve into processed garbage.
Beale Dabbs 9:14 PM - 16 October, 2007
Welcome to the museum. After awhile It gets hard to keep things from getting dusty.
Crickett 9:14 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
this sounds parallel to hiphop djs discussing rap music.

LOL

Im actually a Hip Hop DJ who happens to have started playing House back in the late 80's early 90's for fun. LMAO

Im trying to think of something ignorant to get everyone all pissed off!!

But, Alas...Im done. LMAO
mobius909 9:18 PM - 16 October, 2007
i'd rather be dusty priceless art that people speak of in an awe inspired way than a heaping pile of cow manure.
DJ Michael Basic 9:19 PM - 16 October, 2007
I'd rather be the guy who keeps trying to be innovative and do new things and miss a few times than be Benni Benassi.
mobius909 9:21 PM - 16 October, 2007
i'd die if they played my creative masterpiece at a hockey game... 8 years later like it was new.
Beale Dabbs 9:21 PM - 16 October, 2007
I don't think Benny Benassi ever changes a patch or moves a fader on his gear.
mobius909 9:21 PM - 16 October, 2007
that's the kind of house rednecks play at their wedding.
Thundercat 9:25 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:

Nice. Do you know Todd or did you read that somewhere? Todd G is my people. Same high school, one year younger than me. Been spinning almost as long as I have...and he plays a mean trumpet.
dj luis 9:26 PM - 16 October, 2007
that was an excelent post (the very first one) - i agree with all you said except with one thing: electro-house is not here since late 2006...

... people like mandy, bones or flugel were doing it on the late 2003 beginning of 2004 - 'geht's noch?' is a huge example - at the time i saw it classified as tech-house or techno or tribal or whatever and now i see it as the 1st track of electro compilations...

... wich is such a thin line - some stuff is released as electro and i wouldn't put it in there

i think the sound, as everything, is changing and evolving - and people just find new ways to describe it... and then end up labeling music as "this is house with a touch of groovy bass with a rock feeling and a hiphop nostalgic lyrics using old disco diva voice and a smooth touch of electro"

to me, that is not classifying - it's just loosing a nice opportunity to stfu...

all in all, great post... long live house music...

:)

p.s. - tiesto is dream
Soulsonica™ 9:27 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Man, I've always hated that kind of house purist chin scratcher snobbery. Do you really want to turn house into museum music or do you want to see it grow and evolve?

I personally LOVE seeing house grow and evolve (and it is doing so quite nicely), but not at the expense of loosing its core feeling. IMO, 95% of house is utter shit, but man, that other 5% gives me goosebumbs every single time.
mobius909 9:30 PM - 16 October, 2007
electro house is a derivative of acid house from the early 90's. some of the same guys that were doing it back then are still doing it today (see ian pooley and others for reference)
Dj_KaGeN 9:30 PM - 16 October, 2007
Tangent:

Since commercial house type stuff is getting airplay in assorted venues including Karaoke (wow), tv commercials, movies, hip hop clubs and has continued infiltrating other mediums.... It gains more momentum as it's now common to be the main part of hip hop radio station bumpers and even the musical elements of just about all of their commercials...(including ones speaking of a new club opening that's a hip hop joint) It's everywhere!! It's now made it's way in to just about everything and yet it still struggles as a long distant, red-headed step child in the number of clubs that it get main floor action. This is the aspect of house that really bothers me.
DJ Michael Basic 9:30 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
that was an excelent post (the very first one) - i agree with all you said except with one thing: electro-house is not here since late 2006...

From the original post:

Right now, in 2007, Electro House is king of the house world. It's not the only type of house there is, but it's definately the top of the heap. It started to really gain momentum in late 2006 (of course electro sounds had been around long before that)
mobius909 9:33 PM - 16 October, 2007
another side point: just cause it is on the radio does not make it shite. there are always a couple of hours in a week where there is a "drive at 5" or "live from the club" type of mix and i've been caught car clubbing to these dudes (and dudettes) that really know what they are doing.
Soulsonica™ 9:34 PM - 16 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Nice. Do you know Todd or did you read that somewhere? Todd G is my people. Same high school, one year younger than me. Been spinning almost as long as I have...and he plays a mean trumpet.

I don't personally know Todd, but we have many mutual friend/acquaintances. I own several of his releases, one of which is "Do You Know House" and that's what those lyrics are from. The rest of the lyrics is basically a who's who of deep/soulful iconic house artists such as Blaze, LL Vega, Kerri Chandler, Basement Boys, Todd Terry, etc.
Beale Dabbs 9:34 PM - 16 October, 2007
That's funny. I see a move away from Electro House starting to happen. The stuff still seems to work great with a crowd that has a lot of people unfamiliar with house but likes Hip Hop.
DJBlisk 9:43 PM - 16 October, 2007
being a hiphop first and foremost.. i like electro house becuase of the energy and the bass beats. its like bootie music on crack with electro sounds.
dj_soo 10:15 PM - 16 October, 2007
lol @ "Progressive House"

If you feel the need to call yourself progressive, then you probably aren't.

This is sort of coupled with the fact that I find most prog house ridiculously boring and stagnant.

Then again, I feel the same way about "nu-school" breaks - which basically hasn't changed in sound since the late 90s...
DJ Michael Basic 10:23 PM - 16 October, 2007
I'm not a fan of progressive either, but a lot of the new Pryda stuff is amazing. Check out Ironman, Muranyi, Balaton, etc.
Beale Dabbs 10:46 PM - 16 October, 2007
16 Bit Lolitas
D-Nox and Beckers
D. Ramirez seems to be finding his thing again
I'll second that on Pryda
digital_steve 12:07 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
whats Deep Dish then?

Currently they are more mainstream progressive house. They used to be deep/tribal-esque house.

I miss tribal
djnvs 12:11 AM - 17 October, 2007
tribal was cool...
sweetL 12:17 AM - 17 October, 2007
as a kind of an off-shoot of deep house... do any of you get broken beat out there?

pretty decent broken beat scene in london and other places in the world, just not ever heard it referred to by you guys....
Dj_KaGeN 12:18 AM - 17 October, 2007
it still is cool.... when listening to it alone.
J_Static 12:39 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
SF Disco house sound that was kaskade, etc. etc.

I hated it.

Kaskade isn't disco house, HERE WE GO AGAIN with what's house!

But I know for a FACT, Ryan is NOT Disco house......

The SF House sound is pretty dope, OM Records, Naked Records, Miguel Migs....

Blisk try labeling it as Funky House or Soulful House
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:52 AM - 17 October, 2007
Just playing catch up on this thread...

Quote:

once upon a time there was a gay bar called paradise garage. larry levan changed a light bulb in the middle of the night during peak club hours. the end.

LOL funny - but Levan was new york and garage and progressive. Now if you had said Ron Hardy - said leave the light bulb out and just let the Strobe light run, I'd be peeing on myself laughing!

Quote:
WBMX was the station...

WBMX was that deal. I used to take road trips to Chicago to promote Detroit Techno and on a Hot summer night EVERY CAR you would hear would have the mixshow pumpin. The entire city was like one big radio, everybody tuned to BMX - shit was amazing.

That thread that I posted above has some old BMX mixes posted. I need to turn some of my old cassettes to digital too.

Quote:
how do you guys feel about all that old hip house?.. Like too kool chris, white knight and kool rocksteady

Hip House was my shit!!!!

Fats Eddie - Yo Yo Get Funky and a cut called Dig This by The Bomb with a Bad Boy Bill mix that sampled The Warriors movie. There was a commercial act called Twin Hype (on Profile Records) that got heavy play in Chicago and Detroit. I get a woody EVERYTIME I hear that record. I just got the files as digital recently - loving it.

For Those That Like To Groove and Do It To The Crowd - two of my favorite cuts of all time.
mobius909 1:26 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:

LOL funny - but Levan was new york and garage and progressive. Now if you had said Ron Hardy - said leave the light bulb out and just let the Strobe light run, I'd be peeing on myself laughing!

that was my mr. jeff woodward impression of what house music is, except he starts it like this
"aw hell... now what 'chu know bout house music"
DJBlisk 2:05 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I hated it.

The SF House sound is pretty dope, OM Records, Naked Records, Miguel Migs....

Blisk try labeling it as Funky House or Soulful House

sorry Static. Still not a fan.
Soulsonica™ 2:23 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I hated it.

You beat me to it static. Kaskade (Ryan Raddon) would be considered by most to be more on the lighter "chick-friendly" side of deep house (speaking production work here). Definately NOT disco house.

Good examples of disco house would be Hustler's Convention, Sunburst Band (Joey Negro), Full Intention, some Black Science Orchestra (Ashley Beedle), etc.. And if you want to break it down even further, there's Phily-style disco house which has an entirely unique (studio orchestra) sound within the disco house vein .

And then there's SalSoul Orchestra. One of the grandaddys of disco house (authentic disco to give birth to many).
Soulsonica™ 2:28 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
as a kind of an off-shoot of deep house... do any of you get broken beat out there?

pretty decent broken beat scene in london and other places in the world, just not ever heard it referred to by you guys....

Raises hand. I referred to way up in my first post actually. Fair bit of broken beat (fused with afro house also) happening around here. I love it and house heads here really get down to it when dropped in the right places within sets. One word: Jazzanova! We did a party with them here a few years ago and WOW! I learned a lot that night.
Beale Dabbs 2:40 AM - 17 October, 2007
Are you talking about that jazzy deep break beat stuff? I come across some good stuff in that vein every so often on Stompy.
J_Static 5:21 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I hated it.

You beat me to it static. Kaskade (Ryan Raddon) would be considered by most to be more on the lighter "chick-friendly" side of deep house (speaking production work here). Definately NOT disco house.

Good examples of disco house would be Hustler's Convention, Sunburst Band (Joey Negro), Full Intention, some Black Science Orchestra (Ashley Beedle), etc.. And if you want to break it down even further, there's Phily-style disco house which has an entirely unique (studio orchestra) sound within the disco house vein .

And then there's SalSoul Orchestra. One of the grandaddys of disco house (authentic disco to give birth to many).

SOME Full Intention but not ALL of it is disco house, I love some full intention remixes....

Yes Kaskade aka Ryan Raddon (who is cool as f*ck in person & did one of the dopest Outkast House remixes) is definetly the lighter more pop side of House.

Blisk I'm sorry your not a fan bro, I have an open mind to things including music I can't stand to listen to such as COUNTRY.....I never really liked house till I was introduced to the SF house scene and started going to "REMEDY" parties on a constant basis.......
E-Double 5:55 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
Just playing catch up on this thread...

Quote:

Quote:
WBMX was the station...

WBMX was that deal. I used to take road trips to Chicago to promote Detroit Techno and on a Hot summer night EVERY CAR you would hear would have the mixshow pumpin. The entire city was like one big radio, everybody tuned to BMX - shit was amazing.

That thread that I posted above has some old BMX mixes posted. I need to turn some of my old cassettes to digital too.

Quote:

Hip House was my shit!!!!

Fats Eddie - Yo Yo Get Funky and a cut called Dig This by The Bomb with a Bad Boy Bill mix that sampled The Warriors movie. There was a commercial act called Twin Hype (on Profile Records) that got heavy play in Chicago and Detroit. I get a woody EVERYTIME I hear that record. I just got the files as digital recently - loving it.

For Those That Like To Groove and Do It To The Crowd - two of my favorite cuts of all time.

+1 on the Hip House Art. "Let's Go, Let's Go..."

Watchyoutube.com
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:11 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:

Watchyoutube.com

THAT IS CLASSIC - adding to my You Tube favorites - that JB drum loop sample is the shit - better that the Whhoo Yeah...
Maskrider 6:17 AM - 17 October, 2007
I can't believe Nobody mensioned Armand Van Helden.
Maskrider 6:33 AM - 17 October, 2007
Something i found you guys might be interested

Watchyoutube.com
dj_soo 8:44 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:

Bruk is really underground here. It's too bad it never really took off outside of london as big as i thought it would. Personally love the stuf...
dj_soo 8:54 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:

Bruk is really underground here. It's too bad it never really took off outside of london as big as i thought it would. Personally love the stuf...
djnvs 8:58 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
I can't believe Nobody mensioned Armand Van Helden.

Armand is probably my favorite.... dude doesn't only make dope house... he made dope jungle too....

I'm still looking for something of his that I passed up on years ago(still kicking myself).... the remix he did of janet jackson's "got til its gone".
Nicky Blunt 9:02 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:

Levan was really respected there! But he used to get so caned you would get gaps between records of 3-5 min sometimes!

Not a good look!
Soulsonica™ 11:48 AM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
Levan was really respected there! But he used to get so caned you would get gaps between records of 3-5 min sometimes!

Not a good look!

Commonly referred to as "theatrical pauses".
DPR250R 1:14 PM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Watchyoutube.com

THAT IS CLASSIC - adding to my You Tube favorites - that JB drum loop sample is the shit - better that the Whhoo Yeah...

What do you guys think of "Acid Thunder"... it closer to the sound that really drew me into the electronic world...

Watchyoutube.com
mobius909 1:41 PM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Not a good look!

haha, someone got it finally.
Nicky Blunt 1:52 PM - 17 October, 2007
Yeah I read last night A dj saved my life! Found out about him there!

The chnaged a bulb really made me laugh!!!!!
DJBlisk 4:15 PM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I hated it.

SOME Full Intention but not ALL of it is disco house, I love some full intention remixes....

Yes Kaskade aka Ryan Raddon (who is cool as f*ck in person & did one of the dopest Outkast House remixes) is definetly the lighter more pop side of House.

Blisk I'm sorry your not a fan bro, I have an open mind to things including music I can't stand to listen to such as COUNTRY.....I never really liked house till I was introduced to the SF house scene and started going to "REMEDY" parties on a constant basis.......

I know. I know.. I've spunned with some of those cats and I still don't like it... i guess its too poppy for me.
The Real DJ Maestro 4:49 PM - 17 October, 2007
ok, u guys are arguing about house like this...... This shit is serious. Ok all i wanna know is some classic chicago house music, and some of that new techno, electronic house music.
All house music is good music to me. I like the beats
DJBlisk 4:58 PM - 17 October, 2007
would you guys say, the electro sound was started by Felix the Housecat?
mobius909 6:09 PM - 17 October, 2007
mobius909 6:12 PM - 17 October, 2007
only way to find what you really want maestro is to research history and follow your ears. there are too many opinions here to guide you to what YOU really like. You may not like what i like, but i also don't come from where you and haven't been brought up on your taste. Personally, my taste changes, but stays within boundaries. I shift from Detroit techno, funky house, deep house, tribal house, some select electro/tech house... and hip hop. My advice for you is to go do some homework and download mixes of old sets, then work up from there. The research is what will make you unique.
The Real DJ Maestro 6:17 PM - 17 October, 2007
mobius good looking out, shit..... I digs all music, but i will do some research and see what i come up with
mobius909 6:20 PM - 17 October, 2007
lol, i refuse to explain that... again.
The Real DJ Maestro 6:21 PM - 17 October, 2007
mobius..... Techno, I been to a couple Raves and all techno, trance sounds the same to me.
mobius909 6:27 PM - 17 October, 2007
scratchlive.net

that's a good start. dj bone played the third link on this page (documentary) to open his set at motor lounge in detroit i think around 1998. talk about warming up the crowd!

any of y'all remember that?

keep doing your homework, knowledge makes you a better dj automatically.
The Real DJ Maestro 6:32 PM - 17 October, 2007
oh no doubt, i didn't even like house about two or 3 years ago. but since i started making beats i got into it. Cuz there are alot of good samples out there and as a DJ the music is good to rock to if u go on tour in a different city
mobius909 6:34 PM - 17 October, 2007
start in the midwest and branch out from there. detroit/chicago is the birthplace of thier respected EDM genres. also reach back to a lot of old funk/soul tracks.
dj_soo 6:54 PM - 17 October, 2007
i'm just going to post this again for the uninitiated:

www.di.fm

If you're just getting into EDM or are not sure about the difference between trance, house, and techno (they all have the same 4 on the floor beat) then check that site out.

It's not definitive by any means but it's entertaining as hell and it'll give you an idea of the range of styles, genres, and sub-genres (even if some of it is just blatantly made up).
DJ Young Herrera 7:26 PM - 17 October, 2007
There was a book that we read in college at u of m about the birth of detroit techno. I think I have it at home. I'll check and post the title. It was interesting.
J_Static 7:36 PM - 17 October, 2007
Blisks a gangster cuz he doesn't like that poppy sounding shit! But this dudes anthem is LEAN LIKE A CHOLO!

Haha!
Soulsonica™ 7:37 PM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
What's considered Techno?

If you really want to learn about techno first hand in one quick, concise setting, I recommend taking a crash course by attending DEMF: www.demf.com - There will be lots of true techno there (and some house as well). Good luck, like house, techno is a HUGE subject to tackle, but well worth the investment in studying to gain knowledge IMO.

PS: One of my favorite techno producers/DJs from Detroit is Gary Martin. He's got a very unique sound that borrows elements from the "exotica" period of the late 50's/early 60's.
mobius909 7:40 PM - 17 October, 2007
true story. that's what it REALLY is.
DJ Young Herrera 7:46 PM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
There was a book that we read in college at u of m about the birth of detroit techno. I think I have it at home. I'll check and post the title. It was interesting.

The book was:

Techno Rebels
by Dan Sicko (1999)
DJ Young Herrera 7:48 PM - 17 October, 2007
This is a review i found:

Dan is a native of Detroit and was "there" during its beginnings. In Techno Rebels he tells the Detroit story, but also delves into techno's assimilation and worldwide expansion. He demystifies the genre's complex range of influences, from Chicago house and Midwestern funk to stark European synth-pop and industrial music. Dan has a very enjoyable writing style and the whole book is a joy to read. The photos scattered throughout the book add to its flavor, letting you see just who some of techno's "rebels" really are!

Best yet is the extensive discography of more than 300 essential albums. And the nice part is that he tries to limit his list to those that are available on CD and even tries to indicate how easy it might be to find a copy now if you want to order it! You may want to get this book just for these 22 pages!
dj KarrsiN 8:01 PM - 17 October, 2007
WARNING: This is a semi-long post. So If you don't like to read, please skip and ask someone to sum it up for you.

This is a quote from above, which I have experienced to be true in LA's house scene:

"Our parties were renegade and our world was mystical, we truly lived underground. Now more than ever our ranks are fractioned, instead of there being a place where all house lovers congregate they only choose certain styles of house when in truth we should all embrace every aspect and come together in the true nature of house as a whole, not as a close minded fraction of its individual parts" (Jay Trip Wire).

There is prejudice between sub-genres of house and it discourages me as a house dj. I've been spinning for over fifteen years and still have a difficult time choosing a sub-genre of house. My style is diverse, I blend funky vocal house with breaks and acid house. I also love to spin jungle (but that's a different story).

It seems to me that people who are into deep house, dislike electro or tech house and vise versa. House should be respected in all forms as long as the dj himslef respects the music and is creative and not simply playing house because it is a fad or any other reason than the love for the music itself.

I respect all music and expect the same in return.
mobius909 8:35 PM - 17 October, 2007
to an extent this is true. go ahead and try to play happy harcore (a sub-genre of house) at a deep house groove venue. see what happens and come tell us the results :)
Soulsonica™ 8:43 PM - 17 October, 2007
I was about to say: I and most every true house head I know is VERY open to offshoots, sub-genres, and even non-related genres all together - as long as quality and integrity is maintened. The relationship can only be stretched so far before it eventually breaks off into something entirely unrelated.
allenbina 8:51 PM - 17 October, 2007
your cliff's notes to house music

down beat : uunn

half beat : tssss

rinse, repeat
mobius909 8:59 PM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:

rinse, repeat

rotflmao
dj_soo 9:08 PM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:

rinse, repeat

gold
djnvs 9:11 PM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

rinse, repeat

rotflmao

Seriously...that still has me laughing...
digital_steve 11:00 PM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
What's considered Techno?? I never hear the term used anymore. Maybe because non EDM listeners generalized all EDM as Techno so much that nobody calls the music "techno" anymore

Plenty call it techno lol
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:57 PM - 17 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

The book was:

Techno Rebels
by Dan Sicko (1999)

+1

Great read and accurate - but slightly pissed me off when it became "the Richie Hawtin and +8" story but that is how it went down so i can't hate. He really did his homework on that book, many hours of interviews (yep including me) and pretty much nailed the scene without bringing up the dirty laundry.

the Hi tech Soul movie picks up where the book left off.
DPR250R 12:10 AM - 18 October, 2007
Quote:

Great read and accurate - but slightly pissed me off when it became "the Richie Hawtin and +8" story but that is how it went down so i can't hate.

Care to elaborate?

Seriously... what happend?
djnvs 12:18 AM - 18 October, 2007
i saw a dope house dj a few years back..black dude..did a lot of juggline and scratching...
used this as headphones
pediatriccardiac.stanford.edu

cant remember his name though... i was in awe the whole time i was watching him
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:26 AM - 18 October, 2007
the short story (for a change).

- Richie hawtin was a n00b club kid/dj from Windsor canada, meets derrick may,

- hangs out at Derrick's place, which is connected to KMS and Metroplex studios, the main hub of the early movement (UR and Jeff Mills were just starting out I think also).

- learns a LOT and is influenced by the whole scene

- starts +8 Records with john aquaviva and becomes Richie the poster boy for techno - larger than Juan, kevin, and derrick in some circles.

- story ends and I never made enough to buy my Bentley after busting my ass at KMS to put Kevin's label on the map

but I am not bitter... I respect Hawtin and his grind like I respect Soulja Boy. He clocked his dollars and did his thing.

: )
DPR250R 12:49 AM - 18 October, 2007
Quote:
the short story (for a change).

Thanks for sharing...

To be honest I did hear of Plastikman before the others you mentioned. I just went by mix tapes/cds sold at the parties, in the stores and promoted on the flyers. Back then... for me.... it was just about what was in front of me. I didn't do to much "digging" for info. So its interesting to me to find out what was happening behind closed doors while I was just out having fun.

I can understand the frustration....

Did he leave the others behind? Not give them enough credit?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:14 AM - 18 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I can understand the frustration....

Did he leave the others behind? Not give them enough credit?

At first, as far I saw, he was all aboard the Detroit Techno movement, then as his fame grew, he did his own thing. He always gave a nod to the others, but maybe not on the level that he should have, in my opinion. Richie was originally to be a Protege' of Derrick, similar to the evolution of Carl Craig, but Hawtin went off and did his own thing with +8 and the rest is "techno" history.

There was also a lot of egos being fed at that time (among Juan, Kevin, Derrick, and Eddie) when the fame and money started flowing. Ritchie was smart to steer clear, so again I can't hate on him.

If I could live it all over again, the only thing I would change is to take pictures and video tape it all.

: )
DJ Sniffles 1:23 AM - 18 October, 2007
soooooo this thread went crazy
DJ Young Herrera 2:03 AM - 18 October, 2007
I thought he was from Detroit until i found out he was a canuk.
Sorta disillusioned me. Cuz I was hardcore for reppin d-town as the "mecca of tech" if you will. Then I got really into kevin sanderson after I found out hawtin was sorta his understudy.
dreamkast 2:28 AM - 18 October, 2007
good thread thanks michael basic,awhile ago I saw some one link me to a list of big house tunes this year ,or current big tunes wonder if anyone could help me out with this, if theres like an archive of lists as theres some tracks from awhile back this year that I don't know the names of.
mobius909 2:57 AM - 18 October, 2007
Quote:
i saw a dope house dj a few years back..black dude..did a lot of juggline and scratching...
used this as headphones
pediatriccardiac.stanford.edu

cant remember his name though... i was in awe the whole time i was watching him

that would be mr. terrence parker.... one bad mo fo.

I agree with art on the whole ritchie thing. he did give a nod. he always did hold a mysterious front though, which made him larger than life to his followers. that wouldn't have gone over too well being under the shadow of giants. he played his cards right. every party he threw, he did it the right way and tried to do it different and creative each time. the sound was always perfect (Burst). The atmosphere was always creative and inventive. it was always the next amazing thing, one show after another. new. creative. fresh. inventive. always experimenting with new technology and looping and live production w/ djing. i always enjoy a good ritchie show.
mobius909 2:58 AM - 18 October, 2007
too bad he spins trance now, hehe (not always, don't attack me.. sarcasm).
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user 10:07 PM - 18 October, 2007
i listning for a musics in my house too also loves it good
Mr. Goodkat 10:23 PM - 18 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I love how people are quick to put someone down for something....

At least he tried... if you can come up with a better one then by all means...lets hear it.

nvs it was a bad description. this is f__zy, i thought you knew
djnvs 10:31 PM - 18 October, 2007
Fuzzy?...didn't you know fuzzy wuzzy was a bear?
Mr. Goodkat 11:31 PM - 18 October, 2007
ee, genius
djnvs 11:45 PM - 18 October, 2007
I'm a philosifiser... I philosifise....
I can get pretty deep (no penetration)
DJ Sniffles 5:10 PM - 2 February, 2008
one - two - three - four - five - CLEAR *ZAP*

He's breathing, he's back to life
DjDilerius 5:34 PM - 2 February, 2008
Scouse House would still have to be my favorite =P
Beanfish 5:35 PM - 2 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
whats Deep Dish then?

Currently they are more mainstream progressive house. They used to be deep/tribal-esque house. This transition seams to happens a LOT as DJs become more popular for some reason.

Dubfire is making some good techno. (I do mean techno... I'm not american). His Spastik remix is pure filth. Stop the revolution remix is also good.
DPR250R 6:46 PM - 2 February, 2008
Quote:
Dubfire is making some good techno. (I do mean techno... I'm not american). His Spastik remix is pure filth. Stop the revolution remix is also good.

Sorry... cause I am american I am not sure if "pure filth" is good or bad but.... it was a mistake to touch the original "Spastik". The remix does nothing for me.

I am also old school and really not feeling the remixed classics that have come out this year. To me a remix spices up the original and brings it up to par with todays music. The orignal Spastik and Higher State tracks should not have been touched. Step backwards IMO.
Beanfish 5:44 PM - 3 February, 2008
Normally I'd agree but for some reason the spastik remix works imo. (and filth is definitely a good thing)

Can't think of another remix of a classic that does though. The higher state remixes can do one for starters.
LukeyC 2:42 AM - 15 February, 2008
Regarding 'Electro' house, there is some bloody good stuff coming out here from Australia (like half ur original list!).

My personal fave at the moment being Bass Kleph... his remixes are tearing up...

Others to note at the moment;

Stupid Fresh
Laidback Luke
Steve Angello & Sebastian Ingrosso
Dopamine (Although hes more frequently associated with nu skool breaks)
Sebastien Leger
Chris Lake
Mind Electric
Tommy Trash
Ajax

and in particular Boys Noize (although he can often be associated to more 'electro clash')...
rebelmix 5:04 AM - 16 February, 2008
although my primary genre has always been reggae, i started spinning house around 1988 while in college and at that time in the US when parties and clubs would have all kinds of people - black white asian latin - dancing to house and hip hop and even a little dancehall that we use to throw in (before anyone knew what it was)- i remember seeing bobby konders playing at Seventh Street Entry in Minneapolis, when he was still a big house guy, and he dropped Foxy Brown's "Sorry" (Steely & Clevie) and blew away the place... anyway, some big tunes that we used to rock in the late 80s:

Marshall Jefferson - The House Music Anthem
Todd Terry - A Day In The Life
Inner City - Big Fun and Good Life
Lil Louis - French Kiss, Blackout and I Called U
Maurice - This Is Acid
Kraze - The Party/Jungle Bros - I'll House You
No Smoke - Koro Koro
Tyree Cooper - It Takes A Thief
Brat Pack - So Many Ways
A Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray
Fingers - Can You Feel It
j cue 8:04 AM - 16 February, 2008
mb,, this post is just what i needed. and bigup to scarface for linking me!
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user 2:14 PM - 17 February, 2008
Quote:
true, french kiss is up there too. also, higher state of consciousness, but that was after french kiss for sure.

art, check out bryan jones and mastiksoul. you'll like that kinda stuff i think.
i do saw for it the winks josh best funs time good
Flipsta 8:16 PM - 18 February, 2008
Quote:

There's also a misconception that house music is timeless...that you can rock a house set using all the same tracks that worked 5 years ago. This is false...house music actually moves faster than top40...with hundreds of new tracks being released daily, to a DISCERNING house crowd, it is much easier to fall behind.

This is really true, old stuff generally gets dated quickly....I really like the direction house is going these days with the kind of glitchy/hiphop/mashup styles blended in. House is better right now than its been in a few years IMO.
DPR250R 2:03 PM - 19 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

There's also a misconception that house music is timeless...that you can rock a house set using all the same tracks that worked 5 years ago. This is false...house music actually moves faster than top40...with hundreds of new tracks being released daily, to a DISCERNING house crowd, it is much easier to fall behind.

This is really true, old stuff generally gets dated quickly....I really like the direction house is going these days with the kind of glitchy/hiphop/mashup styles blended in. House is better right now than its been in a few years IMO.

There is a difference between "old" and "played out".

Good house music is timeless.... but to each his own.
DJ Michael Basic 7:14 PM - 19 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is a difference between "old" and "played out".

Good house music is timeless.... but to each his own.

Of course, it's that way with all music...good any music is timeless, but that's not the common misconception is it. The misconception is that when playing EDM as long as its banging you can play it and the crowds will eat it up, which is just not true...if I played World Hold On and Proper Education as part of my peaktime house set right now I wouldn't be respected much by my house crowd as a DJ...(though top40 crowds still eat these tracks up)
DPR250R 8:12 PM - 19 February, 2008
Quote:
The misconception is that when playing EDM as long as its banging you can play it and the crowds will eat it up, which is just not true...

I think we are sayin the same thing. The most recent supurb house DJ I saw live opened with Relentless (1998 or 97 I think) and the "Let's Work" sample above it... old... somewhat cheesy in my mind... but killed the floor.

I took what you and the other poster were sayin as anything over a year old should be tossed in the trash. Which a DJ can do if he likes... but to me the set would lack depth. But thats just me... someone who really sits and listens to the DJ. I expect to be challenged with shit I ain't neva hurd and surprised with them old dusty choons. Would it matter to someone just out for a good time??? I personally don't think so.

Whole point is to welcome the flood of proper new music.... but don't forget the past gems.

Quote:
if I played World Hold On and Proper Education as part of my peaktime house set right now I wouldn't be respected much by my house crowd as a DJ...(though top40 crowds still eat these tracks up)

How true... this in the original post and I would have totally known what you mean.

BTW.... congrats MB hadn't seen you on Stickam since I heard the news.... who am I to argue with one of L.A.'s finest??? Congrats again... from the time you put in and love of the music you deserve to make it!!!
Flipsta 8:24 PM - 19 February, 2008
Quote:

I took what you and the other poster were sayin as anything over a year old should be tossed in the trash.

Thats not what I meant at all, basically its just the crowd wanting to hear new/different stuff instead of the same old top 40 club jams every week.
bourbonstmc 8:28 PM - 19 February, 2008
Quote:
if I played World Hold On and Proper Education as part of my peaktime house set right now I wouldn't be respected much by my house crowd as a DJ...(though top40 crowds still eat these tracks up)

Of course, stuff that's a couple years old and played out will get a thumbs down from a cutting edge crowd. But what if, like DPR suggests, you dug out some shit nobody's heard in a while?
DJ Michael Basic 9:16 PM - 19 February, 2008
You guys are playing devil's advocate, which I can appreciate because I do it a lot, but look for the point instead of playing semantics games...

From the perspective of a top40 DJ:

You mostly have to play the new shit, you can dig out a recurrant or a classic, but your sets must consist of *MOSTLY* new shit for you to rock your average top40 club. Many DJs have a misconception that this is NOT the case with EDM, that playing a set of bangers will work with an edm crowd regardless of how new or old the tracks are.

My point is, this is not the case...you can pull out some recurrants and classics, but with a house crowd, as with a top40 crowd, your set should be *MOSTLY* new shit.
DJ Michael Basic 9:17 PM - 19 February, 2008
Although I will say, the one thing EDM has over top40 is that a new remix of an old jammie is just like a new track...those of you who have heard me play, live or on stickam, know that I love to pull out new 2007/2008 electro remixes of classic tracks.
treeo730 2:47 AM - 20 February, 2008
My point is, this is not the case...you can pull out some recurrants and classics, but with a house crowd, as with a top40 crowd, your set should be *MOSTLY* new shit.

Except in Chicago.....We jack allllll night long!

Check out this line up from last weekend::
deephousepage.com
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:17 AM - 20 February, 2008
Quote:

Except in Chicago.....We jack allllll night long!

Check out this line up from last weekend::
deephousepage.com

+ 1 - sweet lineup

I heard that was a live gig, one of my peeps was in Chi Town over the weekend. She said it was off the hook. Rhonda does it big in Chicago.
treeo730 4:28 AM - 20 February, 2008
I didn't get a chance to go to this event, it was my son's first b-day, but I've seen these guys tons of times. Yeah House music is to Chicago like hip hop is to NY...
ontime1269 9:04 PM - 24 February, 2008
Nice thread about House music. I just recently started messing around with House. I've always liked House music, but have never collected any House until lately. Until recently, I could not tell you the name of 1 House Artist. I use to go to some clubs years ago that played House music all night long. I remember how much I loved the music, but looking back, I can't understand why I didn't really get into it as far as collecting it like I did Rap and R&B.

A buddy of mine let me borrow a couple of crates of vinyl to mess around with. It's mostly some pretty old House music. I guess it's House music. It seems pretty commercial to me because I recognize a few of the artists. What do I know though. I remember some of the music from the clubs back in the day. I'll list my favorites from the crates:

Crystal Waters - 100% Real Love
C&C Music Factory - I Found Love
Redd - Mr. Right(Backbeat Mix)
Sasha - Higher Ground(Main Club Mix)
Annie Lennox - Little Bird(Utah Saints Remix)
Deadly Sins - We Are Going Down(Bottom Dollar Club Mix)
Planet Soul - Set You Free
Klubbheads - Klubbhopping(JM's Hard Dub)
Charlotte - Sugar Free(Rogers Uplifting Club Mix)
D ream - You Are The Best Thing(Sasha Full Mix)
House Of Virginism - Reachin'(Love 2 New Jersey Mix)
Sneaker Pimps - Spin Spin Sugar(Lockdown Vocal Mix)

To the true House Heads....what do you think of these songs? Good? Bad? Cheesy? Take into account that I have a very un-trained ear to House music.I'm not even sure if all of the songs I listed are House music. I just picked what I liked out of the crates. Also, if anyone is a member of the Franchise Record Pool, what is your general opinion of their House Music section?

I'm really feeling House music right now. I see why DJ's like spinning it. It's contagious. You have to REALLY know your music though. It's a different spin from Hip-Hop.
treeo730 2:26 AM - 25 February, 2008
That's a decent list. I've always been a huge fan of Crystal Waters. Some people on this thread have put together a good list of labels to check out. If your into classic's I would check out Dust Traxx. They are a staple in Chicago house.
DPR250R 5:19 AM - 25 February, 2008
@ onetime... IMO you have to play what your feeling... dont worry bout what others think. You need to figure which style of house YOU like most... then submerse yourself in it.

Seem's like a good start to me (not that I am a true house head... only a few on this board are in my eyes).

My advice to you is study up (www.discogs.com)... never rest... don't forget that past but don't let the present and future tracks slip by you. Don't get overwhelmed with the amount of music that comes out on a daily basis. Watch guy's like Dazz, Cary and NeverObsolete from this site on Stickam.... thier shows are very educational. Don't be afraid to ask for track ID's.

My biggest issue with Franchise is the quality of tracks. Sound quality is poor. I have gotten a few good tracks from there but decided to cancel my membership. I would stick to....

Beatport
DJDownload
Traxsource
Audiojelly
Juno
iTunes (yes iTunes you haters)

Also... go to Discogs and download some house mixes. There a some great ones there. Tracklistings are always posted.
David Househead 5:37 PM - 26 February, 2008
visit these forums...read, learn, listen to the mixes by Sound Diggers, Bryan Jones, Fred Everything, Craig Hamilton, etc, etc...
www.undergroundhouse.net
www.deephousepage.com

for real house tracks, my fav place to shop is www.stompy.com
as well as those listed just above
David Househead 5:39 PM - 26 February, 2008
Quote:

most of this is commercial, and would not be played in my sets....but is good music.
DPR250R 7:37 PM - 26 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

most of this is commercial, and would not be played in my sets....but is good music.

Everyone has to start somewhere... I think he did pretty good for someone that was handed a crate of records and is just trying to get a feel for things. This www.discogs.com was the first "Techno" track that I liked. Things have changed a lot since then.

I bet if you (@ onetime).... take another listen to the same stack after 6 months... you will find some gems that slipped under your nose the first time.
treeo730 9:38 PM - 26 February, 2008
James Brown....thats funny. I have a whole crate of that old techno. Still the best one is "Who is Elvis" or how about the "Jeoapardy" theme or the sesame street song. I could on and on....Oh those underage drinking days...
ontime1269 3:35 AM - 27 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

I appreciate the input from everyone. I pretty much knew the stuff I picked was commercial because I remember the songs from the clubs I went to awhile back. Until I got a hold of these crates, I would not have been able to tell you the artist of any of the songs in my list. The only artists I recognize by name is C&C Music Factory, Sneaker Pimps & Sasha.

Here are some more songs from the Crates. I have never heard any of these songs and don't recognize any of these artists by name.I just like the songs.

Chris Lum & Jay J's - Up All N
Anathema - My House
Plasma - Imigration Song
Sebastian Leger - Victory
Silicone Soul - The Answer
Loco - Eighty Ten
Tewisted Playboy - Angel Dust
Weekend Players - Into The Sun
Menace - Sound Of The Floor

I haven't made it through every record in the crates yet. Still digging. I might be in over my head, but I'm trying to get a spot in this bar. On The DJ Booth, it's posted, the music format for the night is 30 minutes House & 30 Minutes Hip-Hop(Which really translates into Top 40). I really dig the spot and want the gig. I don't think the patrons of the bar are true House Heads or anything. I attended the spot once from 11:30 to 1:30 and heard only 1 House song. It was mostly Top 40/Hip-Hop and the crowd ate it up.

I honestly really dig House Music and want to thoroughly learn the genre. However, I want this gig, but I don't want to play BS House music. That is why I'm asking for opinions of these selections from true House Heads. Like I said, I may be in over my head, but from what I witnessed....I could totally do this gig.

I'm gonna submit a demo to the management of the spot and will post here also for scrutiny....lol....it will definitely be interesting....lol.
Dj Wunder 4:25 AM - 27 February, 2008
Nice post Basic, where the hell did BankHeist go? I was looking forward to that being my regular spot!?!
DPR250R 4:56 AM - 27 February, 2008
Quote:
I honestly really dig House Music and want to thoroughly learn the genre. However, I want this gig, but I don't want to play BS House music. That is why I'm asking for opinions of these selections from true House Heads. Like I said, I may be in over my head, but from what I witnessed....I could totally do this gig.

I'm gonna submit a demo to the management of the spot and will post here also for scrutiny....lol....it will definitely be interesting....lol.

If your looking for the middle road between "true house" but still somewhat reconizable then you can start with....

Prydz
Dirty South
Deadmau5
StarKillers
Armand Van Heldon
Ultra Nate
Feddie Le Grand

There a bunch of one hit wonders over the past year to look for as well...

IMO true househeads won't touch those acts... but from the sound of the gig your after I wouldn't go much deeper then that.

Another thing you have to look out for is "alias's" One dude can have 5 different names... lol

Prydz, Pryda and Eric Prydz is one dude...
Winx, Wink, Josh Wink, Size 9, is one dude...
Plastikman, Hawtin, Ritcie Hawtin, JackMaster, is one dude...
rollanotherone 6:08 AM - 27 February, 2008
This has been a great thread. Im in the same boat as ontime. Im hopefully going to be able to help out at the bar I work at. The weekend DJ's play all Euro/Anthem/Trance/Acid stuff. I dont really like it, but the crowd dances the drunken Grey Goose/Redbull dance to it. I never really knew anything about house, but was into techno when Moby was good, and when The Dominatrix Sleeps Tonight era, and back when the Spice Must Flow - Eon, or Eos, or whatever they were called. Now, im having to play catch up and learn a crap load of music fast. Someone posted a great website in this thread, or another, not sure, but it was a Flash site that broke down pretty much every EDM genre, and gave examples of artists.
And, im actually digging and searching for house/EDM stuff. And I gotta say, its a lot easier to mix and work with than Hip Hop/Reggae. Im really amped about getting a spot at my work. I bartend there now, so im pretty confident I can get a spot behind the booth. Keep the info coming, this thread has given me alot to work with.
And good luck to you Ontime. Hope you get your spot.
DJ Michael Basic 8:21 AM - 27 February, 2008
Quote:
Nice post Basic, where the hell did BankHeist go? I was looking forward to that being my regular spot!?!

Yeah, it burned down...it'll be 6 months before it opens again!
treeo730 4:03 PM - 27 February, 2008
I'm a little confused on when people are saying "true house head". Whats that?
DPR250R 4:27 PM - 27 February, 2008
Quote:

To me a when someone says thay are a "True House Head" I think of someone who settles for nothing less then meaningful vocals, soul, live percussion and the most "organic" feeling you can get out of electronic music.

Example would be the first podcast....

www.mixtapesessions.com

This is strictly MY opinion. It's what I think of when someone uses that term.

Thats why say I am not a "True House Head"... cause I don't like lyrics in electronic music... I prefer synthetic "soul-less sounds".

I do like Tech House, some Electro, Acid, Progressive and plain old regular HOUSE (with no subgenre added...lol)

Hopefully others will comment as well...
Rane
Majors 8:13 PM - 27 February, 2008
I think "true house head" could be a little bit more vague than that. Derek Carter, Mark Farina, Heather, Miguel Migs, Doc Martin, Sneak and many, many other legends in house would be considered true heads, but are broader than that "organic" sound you're describing. Granted, that might be entailed, but they all get crunchy too.
Soulsonica™ 9:36 PM - 27 February, 2008
Broad definition might be that true house heads don't fall for or tolerate cheese. One might ask "Well, what is 'cheese' then?". While many house fans of house might not know the difference, rest assured the true house heads who are discriminating aficionados do know the difference. You know it when you hear it. I'm certain the same goes for every other genre out there as well.
Soulsonica™ 9:43 PM - 27 February, 2008
Like I said way up earlier in this thread, 95% of house is complete crap, but the other 5% is downright amazing.
treeo730 2:26 AM - 28 February, 2008
This is a debate all on it's own.... As far as your cheesy comment I understand what you mean, but you have to rememember some of these Dj's turned producer started off making cheesy songs... Sneek's first hit "Work It"....Josh Wink the laughing song.. Armand van Helden " got on the donkey. And one of my favorites that still eat up the floor Cajmere's " perculator".... Just because a song reaches commercial success does not make them(producer) commercial. I'm sure Nirvana didn't realize they had become commercial or Jay-Z.... I do sound engineering for alot of underground hip hop acts and they all want to commercial success.

You have to remember there are so many genre's of house, and me personally I do like smooth house, classic house, Hip House..if your my age you know what that is.. electro house, minimal. But to say who is true house head... well that's kinda harsh...Some of these artist granted are more commercial, probably as they have reached more success, but isn't that what it's about getting your music out to as many people as possible..

As far as Soulsonica comment on 95% crap...well yeah there is alot of stuff I just don't dig but you have to remember production software is soooo cheap and accessible these days anybody can create music, especially electronic music with all the loops available these days. Even I personally just sold the majority of my analog gear to acquire a more software base production. I went from a MPC to Logic. Or take for instance Reason...even a monkey can program a drum beat.

House is House, and House has grown into something without borders...Back when they were doing it up at Shelter(google it up and you'll know what I mean) they never knew it would get this big. All those classics are samples of funk and disco. As I mentioned I'm from Chicago and I have been fortunate enough to go to Gramaphone and shop for records(many chicago house Dj's worked their at some point in their life) and talk and listen to many of these guys before they reached their commercial success.. I've recently been archiving my records and boy there are about 18 years worth of house and hip hop memories. Alot of this stuff they don't have downloads at beatport amazon or itunes. It's too bad because I really beat that vinyl good ....

Oh if your looking for some old house/hip house stuff check out this link.. You'll need RealPlayer to listen.. But BMX is what we grew up listening to
www.deephousepage.com
ontime1269 3:53 AM - 28 February, 2008
Quote:

When I use the term "true house head", I'm thinking about someone that strongly follows and knows House Music. It's His/Her favorite genre of music. They eat, drink & breathe House Music. They know the good from the bad.

Like I said in my previous posts, I just started messing around with House. I don't know the good from the bad. A lot of what I've listened to sounds decent to me. To me, a "true house head" is that dude or chick in the crowd listening to my....rookie at spinning house A$$ trying to make it through a set and wondering....WTF is this dude playing.....LOL. Basically someone that knows the music.

Heres a question.Like Soulsonica stated in his post...."95% of house is complete crap, but the other 5% is downright amazing". What constitutes an amazing house song? Is it more subjective whether or not a House song is good or not? I'm just trying to get a good feel of the Genre. Me being a rookie of house, I've been researching and have read quite a few threads about house. From what I've gathered there are several types of House Music.

It seems like the people that listen to House Music fall into certain sections of House Music and only follow what they like and don't listen to the Genre as a whole. It's almost like being different races. It's confusing to me at this point. I'm just trying to learn.

Ok, right now, I don't know all of the versions of House. I think Vocal is one and that is what I gravitate toward. I also like Electro type House. If it's House....Can't you mix it all no matter what? If not, why?

I guess my post kinda ties in to treeo730's post. Just from my research, it seems like this Genre is very complicated. I really don't understand why.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 9:31 AM - 28 February, 2008
Quote:
As I mentioned I'm from Chicago and I have been fortunate enough to go to Gramaphone and shop for records(many chicago house Dj's worked their at some point in their life) and talk and listen to many of these guys before they reached their commercial success.. I've recently been archiving my records and boy there are about 18 years worth of house and hip hop memories. Alot of this stuff they don't have downloads at beatport amazon or itunes. It's too bad because I really beat that vinyl good ....

Oh if your looking for some old house/hip house stuff check out this link.. You'll need RealPlayer to listen.. But BMX is what we grew up listening to www.deephousepage.com

+ 1

Well said...

I do remember some of the guys before they blew up from Gramaphone, but Andy Moy was that dude. Also what was dudes name from Importes Etc.(Frank, Fred?) That guy was the shit - fantastic salesman. He knew just what "else" to give you based on what U pulled.

Looking back, i was at a disadvantage coming from Detroit, I always felt the grass was always greener in Chicago. They had a thriving scene that supported their music (EVERY BODY listened to the mix shows - WBMX, WGCI, B-96), clubs open til 5am, multiple clubs city wide playing House as the "regular format".

I got my first taste of the Warehouse way back in the day and it changed my life forever. It was amazing, white black, gay, straight - all there for the love of music. And the sound - I never really knew the importance of a good system with a crossover until I went there. Frankie would drop out everything but the highs and you would get that Psssst, Psssst. Pssst, that swirled around the room like a tornado, and felt like it was ripping the hair out of your head but it felt soooo goood. then he would drop the Bass back in and it would hit U like a Tidal wave and the room would explode with energy.

The one thing I remember and I still trip out on to this day, there was two Black gays dancing in the middle of the floor near a pole/column. When they heard a song they liked one would climb the pole slightly and Jack. I was there that night for about 6 or 8 Hours and those guys were still dancing when I left in the daylight hours of the morning with the same energy when I first saw them. they seemed to never leave the floor.

I was drained and I didn't even dance much, I was physically tired as I emerged into the daylight. the sound system had literally kicked my ass, but it was a feeling that I will never forget. A good feeling - almost spiritual. It finally became crystal clear to me what the music was really about.

A night at the Music Box with Ron hardy came close to the experience, but Frankie Knuckles and the warehouse "busted my cherry" and made me a true Househead if I deserve the title.

When House became Euro influenced and lost some soul I stepped out but I am trying to come back. That period is like if you are a Hip Hop head or Classic rap fiend and got dropped into the Dirty South period of today and Soulja Boy is your reality. I just couldn't take it, I flipped to Rap and R&B but with more of the soulful and rhythmic producers making a comeback, I am slowly trying to get my "House Head" card back.
DPR250R 1:46 PM - 28 February, 2008
First Art... PC's are better then Mac's....

Now that I have your attention... lol... this quote...

Quote:
When House became Euro influenced and lost some soul I stepped out but I am trying to come back.

... is what would define a "true house head" in my eyes. Someone that demands house music still at it "roots". They feel that outside influences contaminate the sound they love. That is what I was trying to get at before. And because I prefer the electronic element over the human is why I don't consider myself a "true househead".

That doesn't mean I don't completely respect what a "true househead" stands for. Anyone that dares to be different and stand up for the music that moves them is a hero in my book.

It's funny... many times I hear what I consider to be "real" House music... and I am just not into it. Take out the vocals..... add some synth's... some grit... now you've got my attention. Now (in my eyes) I have ventured away from the roots of house and I am not a "househead".
DPR250R 1:49 PM - 28 February, 2008
@ onetime... you'll find your way... do what you like... don't worry about others. Some listeners aren't gonna be happy no matter what you play... just like mainstream crowds. the rest will let you take them for a ride. And if your playing music that you fell... IMO... the crowd will follow.

@ Art... forgot to say... your post was excellent... anytime you aren't posting about Mac's I eat up the knowledge/experience you have to share
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:25 PM - 28 February, 2008
Thanks DPR250R,

and I can understand about the electronic element. I can feel you on that.

Many old school House heads can't get into the whole Todd Terry sound from back in the day but Todd was a sampling genius. That fucker was just cold on making Hard Beats (Royal House - Can You Party). Todd remade a song called Weekend (originally by Class Action), put his signature sound behind it and it kicked and took the original to another level. The euro versions seemed to water it down, stuff like that is why I bailed on House.

The whole Hip House thing made my transition to rap a lot easier. I appreciate that electronic element of it, but many true die hard House heads like the "happy house" - vocals, pianos and melodies, etc.

Funny since I came back, there are 2 songs that stand out in my mind and are "Anthems" here in Detroit that are/were like magic and gave me that warm fuzzy House feeling when ever they were played and simply packed the floor. One was Erro - Change for Me and the one of late is Poor People by Monique Bingham

www.moniquebingham.com

That Poor People track (Quinten Harris mix) is what House is what all about - forget your troubles and feel the music.
nik39 4:53 PM - 28 February, 2008
Quote:
@ Art... forgot to say... your post was excellent... anytime you aren't posting about Mac's I eat up the knowledge/experience you have to share

+1 (no offense, your posts are really good)
Rane
Majors 4:56 PM - 28 February, 2008
And possibly more than any other style, house is where you hear it. Who's playing it, etc. We've all been in that room where the walls are sweating, the systems on point, the dj is handling business, everyone is smiling and lettin out a scream or shout every now and then. That's really what I think of when I think of true house heads, people that keep going out for that one night that makes it all worth it. It's also why most people don't get it, because those "proper" nights don't always happen, so getting a proper introduction can be tough to come by.
Digiram 6:03 PM - 28 February, 2008
Saturday Nights at Shelter, if you're ever in NYC.
DPR250R 6:07 PM - 28 February, 2008
Quote:

Same Shelter that was "Home" and "Vinyl" ?

Where they used to hold the Nasa party's?
DPR250R 6:21 PM - 28 February, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Same Shelter that was "Home" and "Vinyl" ?

Where they used to hold the Nasa party's?

Nevermind... it is the old "Speed" with e system from Twilo according to thier site...
Rane
Majors 7:24 PM - 28 February, 2008
Sunday nights at Rebar if you're in Seattle. Sunday nights at Deep if you're in LA.
mobius909 8:04 PM - 28 February, 2008
deep is fun! also tuesday nights is fun at focus in the OC
Mr. Goodkat 9:12 PM - 28 February, 2008
sound system and dance floor at deep is incredible.
jtquick 1:14 AM - 29 February, 2008
For the guys who posted earlier about working on getting a new gig spinning House big ups. I've been spinning Hip Hop for 17 years and I just don't have the stomach for the commercial stuff today. But, it pays the bills and I can't forget that Hip Hop has been a career for me. It's hard being able to demand a premium playing one style of music and have to scratch by to do another because of your name.

When I spin EDM (mostly Electro House) I do it with a passion that can't be explained. That's what's beautiful about House music. From the "Old Heads" back in Chicago and Detroit all the way up to know. This music has always been pursued and adored by those who truly love it. Don't get discouraged if your first few attempts don't pan out. If you do something you love long enough eventually you get paid for it.
treeo730 1:18 AM - 29 February, 2008
True That
Stakato 1:35 AM - 29 February, 2008
Quote:
Someone posted a great website in this thread, or another, not sure, but it was a Flash site that broke down pretty much every EDM genre, and gave examples of artists.

www.di.fm

ya, that shit was good. Hilarious too.
Dj Wunder 4:18 AM - 29 February, 2008
Quote:
sound system and dance floor at deep is incredible.

+1 million
Soulsonica™ 2:47 PM - 29 February, 2008
Quote:
And possibly more than any other style, house is where you hear it. Who's playing it, etc. We've all been in that room where the walls are sweating, the systems on point, the dj is handling business, everyone is smiling and lettin out a scream or shout every now and then. That's really what I think of when I think of true house heads, people that keep going out for that one night that makes it all worth it. It's also why most people don't get it, because those "proper" nights don't always happen, so getting a proper introduction can be tough to come by.

Well said.

Quote:
Sunday nights at Deep if you're in LA.

Yep, Marques has been holding it down nicely at Deep. Here's a few others (among many) who consistently hold real deal, true house head approved events:

Chicago: 3º Global www.3degreesglobal.com
Saint Louis: FLY www.stlfly.com
UK: Southport Weekender www.southportweekender.co.uk

True house heads also have had there lives forever changed by house. It's not just a fleeting thing that they can tap their foot to or cut a rug with every now and then. It gets in your blood and soul. I now it may sound corny, but it's true. They go to the party specifically for the music. Not drugs. Not sex. Not because it's the cool place to be seen. Sure those things may exist there for some, but it's far from the focus.
koolionyc 12:19 AM - 8 March, 2008
Semi-related but slightly off topic question;

With digital downloading affecting all genere's of music in terms of sales, in 2008 - what kind of revenue can a House artist and or producer expect to see?
Is it simply done for the love of music?

I ask because I used to produce tracks (with singers) way back in the early 90's. Strictly Rhythm (gladys, bari g) had offered to buy a song from me for $500, and ID-Records (chicago) as well. Nu-Groove (judy) I think offered about the same, but for about 4 instrumental tracks. I didnt know jack about the industry back then, so it never materialized, but this thread took me back to my era spinning and producing House.
Beanfish 2:52 PM - 8 March, 2008
Quote:
We've all been in that room where the walls are sweating, the systems on point, the dj is handling business, everyone is smiling and lettin out a scream or shout every now and then.

So true. Ideally a dirty basement with sweat dripping off the low ceilings.
treeo730 2:09 PM - 9 March, 2008
Did somebody say Bladerunner????
nik39 2:40 AM - 19 September, 2009
Quote:
Well, house is timeless in the way that any other genre is timeless...when I'm playing hiphop/top40 I can still set the room on fire with those intro drums to Bel Biv Devoe's Poison, or Salt and Peppa's Push it...but unless I was doing a specialty 80s or 90s night, I couldn't play that shit all night and rock a club.

It's the same with house, though there is a popular misconception otherwise. If I'm doing a house night and all I play are classics, or even stuff that's 6-8 months old, nomatter how amazing a DJ or programmer I am, the crowd will be itching for something fresh.

Many of the uninitiated think that since a lot of house has no vocals, people don't really know what song is what and as long as the beat is rockin' they don't care what tracks you play. This is simply not true...that's what I was getting at with that statement.

Thanks for the clarification.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:52 AM - 19 September, 2009
Bored Nik?
nik39 4:15 AM - 19 September, 2009
Quote:
Bored Nik?

Not at all. Trying to get a grip on basic house... ;)

www.serato.com
dj_craigmac 4:29 AM - 19 September, 2009
Damn how did i miss this thread when it was started? It's kinda nostalgic to me because i lived everything that was said about chicago. At age 14 took my fresh 20 dollar bill caught the CTA all the way from the far southside of chicago through straight up ghetto part of town where imports ect was located and bought my first paid for record which was a album called mix your own stars. They were out of stock on another song that was a must have if u were going to be taken seriously as a dj in chicago. So again i hop on the cta bus to the EL (elevated trains in chicago) and go downtown to LOOP RECORDS to purchase you aint really down which was my 2nd purchased record.
Did i mention it was like -10 degrees outside that day? Damn the good ole days.

Nik this thread just about covers the basics
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:07 AM - 19 September, 2009
craigmac, do you remember the name of the black guy @ Importes Etc. Dude was a whiz at helping select music.
dj_craigmac 7:58 PM - 19 September, 2009
The older black dude was leonard
dj_craigmac 7:59 PM - 19 September, 2009
He was a pretty good dj too
dj_craigmac 8:04 PM - 19 September, 2009
Quote:
craigmac, do you remember the name of the black guy @ Importes Etc. Dude was a whiz at helping select music.

I don't know how true it is but the rumor is marshall jefferson worked there once upon a time.
treeo730 3:31 AM - 21 September, 2009
Hey if anyone is still tracking this, I just did a mix that I think takes you through some deeper house, some electro. When I mix, I like to take people on a journey, can't just stick to one genre...

treo730.blogspot.com This is a full 1 hour mix,

treo730.blogspot.com This is a more soulful mix, but the mood picks up as the mix moves along.

Sorry downloads are slow, working on getting a dedicated server.... Love to hear feedback, as I just am starting to push this blog....

There is alot of good house out there these days
Flipsta 4:49 AM - 21 September, 2009
Ross-G 5:19 AM - 21 September, 2009
Jader 4:26 PM - 21 September, 2009
i envy my peers that live in cities like chicago and new york. they actually have house played on the radio. i imagine this education and exposure manifests itself in club goers not throwing a tantrum and demanding hip hop immediately after the occasional house tune is played.
djatrain@hotmail.com 5:08 PM - 21 September, 2009
I love House Music!
DJ Sniffles 5:09 PM - 21 September, 2009
Quote:
i envy my peers that live in cities like chicago and new york. they actually have house played on the radio. i imagine this education and exposure manifests itself in club goers not throwing a tantrum and demanding hip hop immediately after the occasional house tune is played.

you are correct. Love this fucking city
DJ-NEO 7:06 AM - 22 September, 2009
im look in to this
mobius909 7:20 AM - 22 September, 2009
for all the so-cal house heads, i'm playing @ Focus next week! Come support.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:22 PM - 23 September, 2009
You all inspired me to drop a new house mix. On my way to the tables right now.
Maskrider 3:36 PM - 23 September, 2009
House this is the Only Genre of music that I don't get tired of.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:37 PM - 25 September, 2009
New Soulful House Mix as promised. Let me know what you think. This is the kind of House music I like.

soundcloud.com

1. Good Time ( Jihad Muhammed & Blaze VocalMix)- Leela James
2. Nothing But Good News (Main Vocal Mix) - Wipe the Needle f/ Eddie Stockley
3. This Time- Stephanie Cooke & Groove Assassin
4. Consequences (Man-X Sunset Night Vocal) - Blaze
5. Losin My Head (Peaktime Mix)- Monkey Brothers f/ Shaun Escoffery
6. Better - Greg Gauthier Dance Culture Mix) - Dance Culture f/ Kenny Bobien
7. Run - Shake The Dog f/ Monique Bingham
8. I'm Gonna Miss You - Jovan f/ K.T. Brooks
9. Feeling Fine (Ricanstriction Vocal) - Marcus Enochson
10. Time (Realm Vocal Mix) - The realm f/ Tony Momrelle
11. Never Forget (When You Hold Me) - Hardrive 2000